Sweeney & Bowen

By uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... More

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Seven: Homecoming
Chapter Eight: What Team?
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: QuinceaΓ±ero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama
Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting

1.2K 53 10
By uninspiredachiever

********************
"Hey, Hottie." EJ's flirtatious tone sparked my curiosity. I turn around, wondering who he's talking to—only to be met with him smirking in my direction.

"You, Bianca!" He grins, approaching me in the hall.

My brows furrow, taken aback, "Are you flirting with me, or being sarcastic because you hate my hair?"

Confusion and shock cross his face, "First of all, I love your hair. Secondly, I forgot about this side of you that needs constant reassurance."

I glance over uncomfortably, then huff a laugh, "Sorry we haven't really talked since the party. And I'm sorry that Carlos and Seb dragged me away when you tried to take me home. My parents don't like me out late." I sarcastically remark, referring to Carlos & Seb.

He waves it off, "It's fine, no worries. I want to apologize," He paused, causing me to tilt my head in curiosity.

"How I've been acting with you lately, including that horrible greeting.." He trails in embarrassment, huffing a laugh.

"It's okay. It was nice to hear you call me hot again." I tease, and we share a light laugh.

"You know," EJ starts, "I noticed you stopped liking me, almost completely, after Homecoming, and I kinda panicked. I realized that we're over completely."

I cross my arms, "Why did that freak you out?"

He shrugs, taking a deep breath, "I'm graduating, everything's changing. I feel 50 years older."

"EJ, our conversation on Thanksgiving was really healing for me. I got closure from you, so.. if that's what you want from me then-" I suggest.

"No, no," He blurts, "I've moved on, don't worry about it. I was trying to cling onto the past, and trying to bring you with me, all while you were starting fresh. I'm so sorry, Bianca." He sincerely apologizes.

I smile, "Thank you, EJ. I forgive you."

He opens his arms out, insinuating a hug, with a sweet smile. I return the smile and his embrace.

"EJ," I start, pulling away, "No matter how much we change, I'll always be here for you. I'll always be the one person in your life who you can go to when you make horrible decisions."

My remark elicits a laugh from him, one that has him shaking his head, causing me to chuckle.

"Yeah," EJ agrees, "Can I ask you something, then?"

I nod, "Yeah,"

"Why did you run away at Homecoming, after I kissed you?"

"I didn't feel the fireworks with you anymore, and it scared me." I answer honestly.

"Hm," He shakes his head in understanding, "You've always been a horrible liar, so you always have no choice but to be the one who tells the brutal truth, huh?"

I shake my head in shame, "Foul." I joke, pointing my forefinger in his direction. He puts his hands up in playful surrender as we laugh.

The bell rings, and Mr. Mazzara's voice chimes from the speakers, "Good morning, Leopards...and Wildcats."

************************************
"Attention, thespians! I have a brief announcement." Carlos announces to the entire cafeteria, causing the attention to fall on him.

He sits on the table while a group of students gather around him, not that there was any need for more dramatic effect, but Carlos is Carlos.

Seb cups his hands around his mouth to make his words reach farther, "Speech! Speech!"

Carlos chuckles at his boyfriend's gesture, before turning his head to share the anticipated news, "After spending the last couple of weeks Google-stalking the Menkie Awards, I've discovered that there is no category for Best Choreography."

He paused to make sure we were paying attention, so we nod to indicate that he could continue.

"And since the Menkies is step one to me becoming the first ever winner of a MEGOT," He continues.

Big Red grows confused at the latter, "MEGOT?" He questions.

"Menkie, Emmy," Ashlyn starts.

"Grammy, Oscar," I continue.

"Tony." We conclude together, before laughing soundly at the unison.

"I've decided, that I will be auditioning to be on stage this year." Carlos announces, and we cheer for him.

"Thank you, all!" We continue cheering for him, as he makes a dramatic exit back to his seat.

"Big Red's trying out too!" Ashlyn beams, lifting her new boyfriend's arm up.

"Yeah, he is!" Ricky brags.

Ashlyn gently places her hand on Big Red's, "Oh, just remember you cannot play Chip, the teacup, since it'd obviously be weird for you to be my son." She explains, as if it were obvious.

The table falls quiet, only awkward smiles as we wait for Ashlyn to continue.

"I mean, I'm probably getting Mrs. Potts. Not that we don't all have an equal shot!" She blurts.

After a few laughs, Carlos approaches Kourtney. "Miss Jenn tells me you're also going out for a role this year." He points out.

Kourtney chuckles, "What can I say, I play Taylor for half an act of HSM, and suddenly, I think I'm Regina King."

"You're welcome." EJ chimes in, sitting next to Ricky.

"Huh?" Ricky questions.

"Uh, I've decided to take myself out of the running for the Beast." EJ informs, and the table grows confused. "I've only got the bandwidth for a supporting role. I'm just... I've got a lot on my plate."

He snaps his fingers as realization dawns on him, "Which reminds me, I should probably pick a meal plan for Duke." EJ pulls out his phone.

"Wait, you officially got in?" Ashlyn questions.

EJ shook his head, silently replying that he hasn't gotten any news back.

"You're not auditioning? Come on, first Bianca. Now you?!" Seb exclaims, and the table falls quiet once again.

"What?" EJ questions, puzzled, now looking at my wide-eyed self.

"I'm not auditioning." I confess.

Carlos shakes his head in shame, "Now that everybody knows, can somebody else try to convince her to?!" He exclaims.

Ashlyn nods in agreement, "Right! Can't you already see her in that gold dress?!" She admires.

I playfully roll my eyes, "You guys.." I look around at the confused faces around me.

"Back up. You aren't doing the musical either?" Ricky questions, looking at me.

Confusion crosses my face, "What do you mean "either"?"

"Uh," Ricky chuckles weakly, looking around at the confused faces around him, just like how they were looking at me. "I'm, uh..I'm not sure if I'm auditioning this year. You know, once a skate rat... Right?"

After what felt like an eternity of awkward silence, an unfamiliar voice spoke, "Okay. Um, sorry,"

We look over to find a blonde girl approaching us.

"I've been trying to work up the courage to say this. Okay, I can't believe I'm standing in front of Troy, Gabriella, and Chad right now! All of your performances last semester in HSM were incredible." She beams.

My eyes soften as the corners of my mouth quirk up appreciatively. Ricky uncomfortably nods while smiling, unsure of how to respond. While EJ is grinning broadly as the girl feeds his ego.

"Thanks." Ricky blurts.

I smile, "That's really sweet, thank you!"

"Yeah," EJ brags, "That means a lot to us. It honestly takes a village to get a show up on its feet. I've been blessed."

"No, no, I mean, thank you. Really. I mean, you guys inspired me to wanna try out this semester. It's intimidating being basically, like, brand new to theater. Hey, honestly, you guys are all so talented." The blonde compliments, we smile and nod along.

"Oh, thank you!" Ashlyn grins.

"Hey, do you mind if we..." She questions, taking out her phone, and we all gather around as she snaps a selfie.

"Hey, you can tag me in that. It's just EJWaterPoloTheaterGuy. Theater: E-R." EJ blurts.

"Just did!" She grins.

"Hey," I question, "What's your name, by the way?"

"Lily." She introduces.

EJ grins, "It's nice to meet you, Lily."

"You guys too! Also, I heard there was a couple amongst the cast." Lily teasingly trails.

As the spotlight shifts to him and Ashlyn, Big Red grins awkwardly, and she takes his hand with pride. We all smile and turn to face the new couple, assuming Lily is referring to them.

"Ricky and Bianca," She blurts, causing uncomfortable tension to fill the air.

"You two are so cute together. Your connection is out of this world. Invite me to the wedding!" Lily grins, before walking away.

Everybody turns to stare at us. Ricky and I awkwardly glance at one another.

"I should get going." I blurt, standing up to leave, without looking back. And an uncomfortable Ashlyn follows behind.

***************************
"That was uncomfortable." Ashlyn points out, opening her locker.

I nod in agreement, "Right."

"Okay, so.." She starts, "You have to audition! For many reasons. One, tercet!"

I scoff a laugh, "Do you realize, that when we find someone, we're gonna get thrown into the roles of those girls who are obsessed with Gaston? They have no real story."

She nods, "That's the millionth time you've mentioned that, which is exactly why I wrote it as a quartet. 1...2..3..4." She chuckles gently, holding four fingers up.

I huff a laugh, nodding along, "So, do we ask Carlos and Seb? Or.. Who do you have in mind, Ash?"

"I was thinking Kourtney and Gina." She grins.

"Get the lyric sheets, I'll go find them."

Ashlyn nods, before opening her locker.

After pondering, I finally confess, "I really don't wanna be a part of the musical, so do you think Miss Jenn would allow me to be solely emotional support?"

Ashlyn shuts her locker, tilting her head and raising a brow, with 'you're auditioning' written all over her face.

"I just, like...don't really want to." I blurt.

"What's the real reason? Jitters?" She assumes.

"Sure." I shrug, walking away.

********************
After informing Kourtney & Gina that Ashlyn has news to share, we gather around her locker.

"I know this is kinda last minute, so totally feel free to say no, because my feelings won't be hurt, because what are feelings? Except a bunch of molecules doing a sad dance." A nervous Ashlyn rants.

My eyes widen, "Ash, breathe." She nods, taking a deep breath.

Gina nods, "Yeah. Enough with the caveats."

"Just spill it!" Kourtney encourages.

Ashlyn grins, holding up four lyric sheets.

"Okay, what is that?" Gina questions.

"It is a song I've been noodling on this week. It was once a tercet-" Ashlyn starts, handing out the lyric sheets.

"A ter...what?" Kourtney wonders.

"You know, like a duet, but for three people." Ashlyn explains.

Kourtney chuckles, "Nobody knows that."

"But it's not anymore!" Ashlyn blurts.

"This is really solid composition." Gina compliments.

"Mmm, I'mma start calling you Tercet." Kourtney jokes, pointing at Gina, and we laugh.

"Ash originally wrote it as a tercet, but..." I pick up where she left off, motioning for her to continue.

Ashlyn nods, "Right. But Bianca reminded me how we'd probably end up getting the roles of those crazed, obsessed girls who drool over Gaston." She blurted, before going wide-eyed in fear she said the wrong thing, "Not that there's anything wrong with them!"

"No one is auditioning in hopes to get that role." I reassure. Kourtney and Gina chuckle, nodding in agreement.

Ashlyn takes a deep breath, "Phew!" She feigns to wipe fake sweat off her forehead out of nervousness.

I give Ash a tender shoulder squeeze, "She's nervous." I jokingly mention to Gina and Kourtney, as if I were her mother.

"I see that." Gina teases.

Kourtney chuckles gently, "Yeah, what's up?" She questions.

"I was thinking we could audition as a girl group!" Ashlyn finally announces.

"Ooh!" Kourtney beams, while Gina's face fell. "Is the vibe Destiny's Child? Is the vibe Cheetah Girls? Is the vibe Little Mix?" An eager Kourtney questions.

"Ooh!" I admire, "Can the vibe be Pink Slip from Freaky Friday?!"

"Yes! The vibe is all of the above." Ashlyn beams, "Plus a little Spice Girls. My mom has been showing me their music videos!"

Kourtney squeals, "I'm 1,000% down for this! I could really use some girl-power vibes up there with me today."

"Oh! Really?" Ashlyn melts.

"Yes!" Kourtney confirms, grinning.

I clap joyfully, "Wait! I'm, like, really excited now!" I beam, and the three of us have a moment of freaking out in excitement.

"Okay, let's pop into the rehearsal room. And we'll run you through it. Def gonna need the Gina touch, because this song is all about the beat." Ashlyn explains, imitating a dance move, which Kourtney & I copy.

"Actually, Ash," Gina gently dismisses, "I'm gonna stick with auditioning on my own."

Ashlyn's smile slowly vanished as Kourtney and I exchange shocked glances.

"I've been rehearsing my piece all week." Gina blurts.

"No. You don't have to explain. Of course. I totally get it." Ashlyn nervously dismisses, taking Gina's lyric sheet, "If I danced like you, I'd be like, "Clear the stage!" She exclaims, throwing her arms out, before walking away.

I tap Gina's shoulder, handing out the lyric sheet, "Just in case?"

*********************************************
Third-person POV*

"Are you sure you don't wanna audition?" Big Red asks his best friend.

"I... I.. Uh," Ricky stammers, "..haven't ruled it out."

"Is it because of Bianca? And the girl at lunch who thought you two were together? I'm not the only one who sees your guys' connection." He rants, with a subtle smirk.

Ricky shakes his head, "Enough about Bianca, all right?"

Big Red shrugs, "Just sayin'. Don't you think it's weird that she hasn't given you your jacket back?"

His best friend scoffs a laugh, "What are you trying to say?"

A teasing smile tugged his lips, "Maybe she likes you."

Ricky pondered on the thought for a moment, before waving it off and shaking his head in disagreement.

*********************************************Bianca's POV*

I pace around, outside the auditorium, taking deep breaths while trying to calm my nerves.

Then, I look down at my phone to find multiple missed calls from Carlos, Seb, and Ashlyn. And even one from Kourtney. I can hear Miss Jenn inside, "Take your neighbor's hand." She instructs, and I instantly get HSM table read flashbacks, cringing at the memory. In true Miss Jenn fashion, she starts to sing Beauty and the Beast.

Ricky comes sprinting up to the auditorium from the hallways, and I stop pacing. When our eyes met, he stopped in his tracks, appearing surprised to see me. Confusion crosses my face.

He clears his throat, "Hey."

"Hi." I nonchalantly blurt, moving away from the door.

"You..uh..you goin' in?" He awkwardly questions, motioning toward the door.

My brows furrow, "What's wrong with you?"

He is taken aback, "I'm sorry?"

"You're acting weird." I point out, crossing my arms.

"Oh..uh.. Jitters.." He answers, sounding uncertain.

"Hm." I hum and nod, before beginning to ignore him once more by pacing, "Go in by yourself. I'm not auditioning."

"Why haven't you given me my jacket back?" He blurts, puzzled.

I pause to look at him, while pondering, afraid to admit the truth. Guilt is visible on my face.

"Hm?" He hums, raising his brows, in a silent question of whether or not I am going to answer.

I sigh, giving in to his persuasiveness, "Fine. Bowen, I haven't given you your jacket back, because..I lost it."

Confusion crosses his face, "What? How did you lose it? Like, in your house?"

I shake my head in fear of coming clean. My voice betrayed that I was coy and guilty.

"No. Like, a week after you loaned it to me. I set it in the bomb shelter, and when I went to tell you, it wasn't where I set it."

His eyes narrow, crossing his arms, "You lost my favorite jacket, and didn't have the decency to tell me?!" Ricky questions, dumbfounded.

I scoff, taken aback, "Don't make me feel bad about it! I was sparing your non-existent feelings, Bowen."

He huffs a laugh, shaking his head in shame, "Wow."

"That's back when Nini was stealing stuff, ask her." I taunt.

"Don't." He warns, forefinger out dismissively.

"Are we done now?" I snap.

He shrugs, "Yeah."

"Good." I shot back.

Ricky sighs, shaking his head, before entering the auditorium to rudely interrupt.

"Guess who decided to come after all. Now, we just wait for Bianca." I hear Miss Jenn say.

**********************************
I receive a call from Ashlyn for the millionth time, as I am scrolling through my phone, while sitting on the ground with my back against my locker and knees to my chest. I take a deep breath, before finally answering.

"Bianca!" She exclaimed, before I could even say hello. "We're moving on to solos. You really aren't auditioning?!"

I exhale deeply, "I couldn't. I was outside of the auditorium and I just physically felt like I couldn't. It was weird. But, I'll still be there for you, if you wanna perform that song-"

I am cut off by: "Blanche!!" Carlos snatched the phone, the rage on his features audible.

"Hi." I blurt, my nervous smile was audible.

"Get here right now, so I can yell at you in person!" He instructs, before hanging up.

*******************************
Everyone looks at me as I dash into the auditorium, "I'm sorry!" I blurt, rushing on stage.

Carlos huffs in relief, "There you are."

"You did finally show up!" Miss Jenn grins.

"I know, I know." I blurt, trying to catch my breath. "I'm here for Ashlyn and Kourtney. To support them on this song. I'm not auditioning, is that okay?"

She nods, smiling, "Yes."

Miss Jenn seemed too calm, as she glanced off with a smug smile, like she has something up her sleeve. Despite growing curious, I brushed it off, looking over to find Ashlyn and Kourtney's shared grin, which made me smile wide.

"B!" Ash beams, clapping in excitement. I chuckle gently, bringing her and Kourtney into a group hug.

"You girls can always count on me." I assure, pulling away to meet their soft smiles.

Gina's dejected and humiliated expression caught my attention as we got into places; she likely believed I was calling her out, because she had backed out of the performance, but I hadn't intended to embarrass her—my sincerity has just gotten better at sounding, well.. sincere.

"This is an original song I wrote about... Nerd-alert! The power of friendship." Ashlyn blurts, huffing a nervous laugh.

An anxious Ashlyn received supportive smiles from Kourtney and me.

"It was originally written as a tercet, but then that was wrong, so I wrote it for four people. But, we'll be going back to the original idea and singing for three." She explains.

"Wait!" Gina dismisses, jumping on stage.

"Are you okay, honey?" Miss Jenn checks in.

"Sorry," She blurts, "Is there still room for a fourth?"

"Do you know the song?" Ashlyn questions, puzzled yet happy.

"I was curious, so I spent the afternoon kinda studying it. It's brilliant." Gina confesses, smiling.

Kourtney smiles proudly, "Get in line, Tercet."

I tenderly squeeze Gina's shoulder, as though to express my admiration for her choice. She grinned gratefully.

"Whenever you're ready." Our drama teacher announces.

"Oh," Ashlyn blurts, "Just one thing. Uh, picture all of us in sequined jumpsuits. On a light-up dance floor. In an abandoned warehouse." She grins.

"Very Spice Girls meets Drag Race." Carlos points out.

She smiles proudly, "Exactly what I was going for when I wrote it. Hit it!" Ashlyn instructs.

Once we finish the song and choreography for Ashlyn's original song: 1-2-3-4, we are rewarded with a standing ovation. The four of us grin, and have a moment of freaking out in excitement as we hug.

"Bianca," Miss Jen calls, earning my attention, "You can stay for the rest of the auditions, if you want." She smiles.

I open my mouth to speak, but she cuts me off, already knowing that I was going to remind her that I am not auditioning.

"To watch." She assures, grinning.

I glance over at the girls, who are smiling encouragingly at me, before turning to gaze at Carlos, who is expressing an urge for me to stay. My features soften.

(Bianca: outside of the auditorium)

She grins, huffing a laugh, "It's crazy, just last semester, I was trying to win over half the drama club, and now, most of them, are my family."

She sighs deeply, smile fading while glancing down, "I just wish the stage itself still felt like home."

******************
As the auditions proceeded, Carlos ditched his seat for a spot on the floor next to me, close to Miss Jenn's desk. I am cross-legged, while his legs are folded beneath him.

I don't like to pass judgment during this process, because theater feels like my home and is so welcoming, but someone is off-key in their rendition of Wondering, and it is taking everything in me not to laugh; Carlos shared my reaction. Ashlyn, who is emotional since the boy chose her song, stands up and claps after his audition is over.

"Love the choice, Mr. Darbus." Miss Jenn grins, "And next up, we have... Okay, where's Ricky? Ricky?" She calls.

He jumps out of his seat, "I'm here! I'm here. I, um...didn't have time to prepare anything original, so, I hope this is okay. Do you know Bet On It?" He questions.

I close my eyes and place my hands over my face in distress. Carlos shuts his eyes and puts his head on my shoulder.

Ricky was obviously unprepared and appeared anxious, perhaps as a result of Nini's absence. His performance was messy.

"You can bet on me." With his arms overhead, Ricky ended the song with a bad note.

Everyone hesitantly applauds, debating whether to even do so.

Carlos gently nudged my arm, since he can see the judgmental look on my face that he had to clear off his own. I sent him a look in protest and he stifled a laugh.

"What was that?" Miss Jenn whispers, puzzled by Ricky's audition.

************************************
"Clear!!" Carlos announces, holding the cast list.

As I watch everyone bask in the glory of finding out which role they secured, I sigh deeply, feeling the regret of not auditioning. Then, Big Red appeared next to me, as a shocked Ashlyn approaches.

"I think there's been a mistake." She blurts, dumbfounded.

My face falls in disappointment, "Nothing?"

Big Red shared my reaction, "Wait. Did you not get a part?" He questions.

"I got the part." Ashlyn blurts.

"Wait. You mean..." Big Red grins.

"Really?!" I beam, clapping in excitement.

"I got Belle! I'm Belle!" Ashlyn informs. Big Red kisses her cheek, then brings her into his embrace.

"Blanche Avery Sweeney!" Carlos calls, in a sing-song tone, extending my last name. It was almost mischievous.

My brows furrow, approaching him, "Carlos Elias Rodriguez," I playfully mock, not as enthusiastically.

He grins proudly, pointing at my name on the cast list:

Bianca Sweeney.....Claudette

My face flushes with confusion as my jaw drops, yet my heart skips a beat joyfully. My brows furrow as the corners of my mouth quirk up despite myself, "Claudette? Who is Claudette?"

(Miss Jenn: in her office)

"You know the Bimbettes? Those three girls who obsess over Gaston? Claudette is the one in the red dress. I wanted to add something more to Beauty and The Beast, to not only win the Menkies, but because I felt like Claudette was calling for me to give her story. While writing this role, Bianca came to mind. That's why I was so bummed when she didn't audition, but then I remembered I can do whatever I want." She brags.

It feels good to be a part of the musical, celebrating and jumping for joy with the cast over the list. However, this morning, if you would have told me that I would be in a booth at Slices, between Carlos and Seb, while bragging about my role, I would have laughed in your face.

I explained around the intrigued drama club, "Earlier today, I was like, "no one auditions for one of the Bimbettes," and I was right, because I didn't, but I still landed the role of one!" They laugh soundly.

Carlos grins, nodding, "When Miss Jenn told me, after I yelled at you on the phone, I was so happy!"

Ashlyn claps in excitement, "I knew you were going to get a role after our performance!"

I gasp playfully, "That means everything coming from Belle!" She shyly smiles and dismisses our applause with a coy wave.

Big Red's mom serves us pizza, "Pizza tonight for the world's best kiddos!" She announces, and we cheer for her, "Don't forget to tip your waitress."

"Mom!" Big Red playfully dismisses, slightly embarrassed.

"You love me, and you know it." She teases.

"Nini!" Kourtney calls, hearing her best friend's voice on Ricky's phone, "You are looking at Mrs. Potts! And.." She motions for us to introduce our roles to her best friend over FaceTime.

"Latinx Lumiere!" Carlos announces, smiling proudly.

"And LeFou!" Big Red chimes in.

"And Chip!" Seb grins.

"Claudette!" I brag.

Nini grows confused, so before she even asks, I clarify, "The girl in the red dress, who is obsessed with Gaston. Miss Jenn's giving her a storyline."

"Oh!" Nini acknowledges, smiling.

"And Babette zee feather duster!" Gina informs, in a horrible French accent.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Carlos playfully judges.

"A French accent?" She brags.

Ashlyn took the phone, wanting to talk to Nini. Gina swings around to their booth when she brings up, Lily, the new girl.

"Yeah. I think I saw a bird land on her finger while she was singing." She jokes, after Lily was compared to a real-life princess by Ashlyn.

I huff sarcastically, recalling how she laughed at Big Red after he fell, "Princesses aren't bitches."

Although they all agreed, the drama club was astonished by my firm, straightforward remark.

Carlos nods in agreement, eyes beaming with relief that someone finally pointed it out, "Ooh, I did not want to be the one to say it." We laugh.

"Wait, wait..." Realization dawns on EJ, "If I'm Gaston, I just realized that you and I have..."

In disgust, Ashlyn cuts him off, "Okay. Don't. Choosing not to think about it." She blurts.

"Hey," I grin, calling for EJ's attention, "We'll be lovers, probably."

He huffs a laugh, nodding with a shrug, "Ironically." We share a gentle laugh.

Big Red's mom approached, holding cupcakes with our characters atop, "Before you get dessert, Mom gets a picture. That's the rule."

"Mom!" Big Red complains.

"That's the rule, all right?" She insists, pulling out her phone. We grin as she snaps a photo.

The rest of the evening was devoted to celebration. I am grateful Miss Jenn is giving me a chance, even if I didn't initially audition.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

495K 15.6K 23
in which nini doesn't get the role of gabriella, the new girl does. β˜…γ‚œγƒ»γ€‚γ€‚γƒ»γ‚œγ‚œγƒ»γ€‚γ€‚γƒ»γ‚œβ˜†...
24.9K 663 69
Ricky Bowen, Nini Salazar-Roberts, E.J. Caswell, and Gina Porter are a group of friends that are part of a bigger group of friends. Their all enroll...
21.5K 717 15
(Completed) She's Nini's best friend's sister. But Nini has a boyfriend. So why can't Nini get this girl out of her head? Although Nini has spent muc...
765 18 16
Cressida Kormos never really expected much to happen in her senior year, but things seemed to be looking up for three reasons: - (1) EJ got a n...