Please Believe Me

By Beautyinbooksblog

Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's onl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Madison
Chapter 2 - Madison
Chapter 3 - Maxon
Chapter 4 - Madison
Chapter 5 - Madison
Chapter 6 - Madison
Chapter 7 - Maxon
Chapter 8 - Madison
Chapter 9 - Maxon
Chapter 10 - Madison
Chapter 11 - Maxon
Chapter 12 - Madison
Chapter 13 - Maxon
Chapter 14 - Madison
Chapter 15 - Maxon
Chapter 16 - Madison
Chapter 18 - Maxon
Chapter 19 - Maxon
Chapter 20 - Madison
Chapter 21 - Madison
Chapter 22 - Madison
Chapter 23 - Madison
Chapter 24 - Madison
Chapter 25 - Maxon
Chapter 26 - Madison
Chapter 27 - Madison
Chapter 28 - Maxon
Chapter 29 - Madison
Chapter 30 - Madison
Chapter 31 - Madison
Chapter 32 - Madison
Chapter 33 - Madison
Chapter 34 - Maxon
Chapter 35 - Maxon
Chapter 36 - Madison
Chapter 37 - Madison
Chapter 38 - Madison
Chapter 39 - Madison
Thank You
Note to the Reader
Please Forgive Me
Please Love Me

Chapter 17 - Madison

16.1K 377 74
By Beautyinbooksblog

Maxon and I spend the rest of the afternoon talking. He tells me more about himself and his love of football. About how worried he was that he wouldn't get drafted and how his mom encouraged him to persevere and not give up hope. I told him that I still didn't have a career. That I was working in a little bistro and attending college full-time. He listened, only cutting in to ask what I would like to get a career in. I was trying to avoid being asked that question because I honestly get embarrassed at my answer. My career isn't a doctor or a lawyer and when asked, people usually dismiss what I say. He waits patiently for me to answer. I look away and tell him I want a career in hospitality. Specifically event management. I peek at him and find him with a confused expression.

"Never mind." I dismiss the topic.     

"No." He turns my head to face him.

"Tell me." He says, sincerity bright in his eyes. "I'm assuming it has something to do with managing events, correct?"

"Well, yeah." I nod my head. "You basically help coordinate parties, galas, charities, concerts, sports events, anything you can think of really."

"That's amazing. I can see by the way your face lights up that that's what you love."

I drag my eyes away from his tender gaze and settle on the space between us. We're sitting side by side on the bed, our backs resting against the headboard.

"Hey," His soft voice brings my attention back to him. "don't listen to other people's opinions. Do what makes you happy, they aren't going to be the ones living your life."

I look into his gorgeous green eyes which he told me is the only thing he inherited from his mother. "Your mom taught you that?"

He nods. "People always thought I was crazy for setting my sights on the NFL. Thought I wasn't fit for it. Said I was "too quiet.'"

I scowl. "What does that have to do with anything?"

He shrugs. "They saw what they saw. I also wasn't particularly talkative but I was game for anything. Sports were and are my life." He pauses for a moment. "I'm hoping you'll stick around long enough to be in it."

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks and try to hide it but he reaches out to hold me, pulling me onto his side.

I hope I can stick around long enough as well.

After talking a bit more about our families and upbringing, he suggests if I want to watch t.v.
I tell him I'm not really in the mood and that he can watch it on his own. He insists I watch it with him because we have to 'bond as friends.' I can tell that word bothers him but I'm grateful that he's willing to take that step with me. Eventually, he comes to a stop. Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift is playing.

"This alright?" He asks me. "or do you want a chick flick? Romantic comedy? I don't mind."

I snort. "Heck no! This is fine."

He shoots me a half-grin. "Not into that sort of thing?"

"Definitely not."

"A girl after my own heart." He smirks bringing a hand to his tone chest as he fixes the volume.

I bite my lip, the blush that seems to be permanently on my face around him returns.

He gives me a full-blown grin then but thankfully makes no further comment. We settle in to watch the movie and I warn him I might fall asleep before the movie ends. I don't know why but I can never finish a movie and as if to prove my point, an hour into the film, I feel my eyes starting to close shut.

I'm not sure what time I wake up but the television is turned off and the bright lights from the buildings surrounding us filter into the dark room. I reach for my phone to check on the time but an arm tightens around me.

What the—

I glance over my shoulder and see Maxon sleeping. Oh, God. His handsome face is so close to mine and he smells so good. My gaze lingers on those luscious lips of his before I shake some reason into myself. We're just friends. Slowly I move, trying not to wake him up.

He lets out an mmm and I still. I watch as he shifts and his eyes flutter open. He catches sight of me and gives me a small smile. His deep, rough voice asks. "You're awake? What time is it?"

He loosens his hold on me as I reach for my phone, it reads 9:43 pm. I tell him the time and notice that there are also four unread messages. One from Trinity and three from Vanessa.

Trinity: Has he left yet?

Vanessa: Are you okay? Maxon left.

Vanessa: I have a feeling he went to see you *emoji winky face*

Vanessa: WARNING: I'm on my way! So whatever it is you're both doing? STOP!

That was...twenty-five minutes ago!

Crap! I sit up and scoot away from Maxon.

"Where are you going?" He asks, sitting up as well.

"Vanessa texted that she's on her way."

"And? I don't see what the problem is."

I give him an incredulous look. "Are you serious? I don't want her getting the wrong idea."

"Would it be so bad?" He gives me a sad look.

"Maxon—"

"I know," He says, sitting up. "Friends. We're friends." I can hear the unspoken words, for now.

The door opens before I can get another word out and in walks Vanessa.

"Hey." She greets.

"Hey yourself. How were the movies?"

"Great! I enjoyed getting to spend one-on-one time with my brother." Her gaze zeroes in on Maxon. "I'm sure Maxon did too. Since he ditched us for you."

Maxon looks unashamed. "You know Madison is a pretty incredible person. I couldn't stay away." He shoots me a glance and I once again, try to hide a blush.

"That she is." V agrees, staring between the both of us, a tiny twinkle in her eye.

Maxon gets up and comes over to me.

"I'll be going now." He says softly.

"Okay." I nod, aware Vanessa is watching our encounter closely.

"I enjoyed hanging out with you." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "We should all go and give you a tour of New York. Different sights to see every day. How does that sound?"

"That's a perfect idea!" V beams, clapping her hands together but Maxon doesn't say anything. Instead, he's waiting for me to answer. It's up to me. Again.

"Aren't you busy? I wouldn't want to bother you if you had plans."

He shakes his head. "No plans. And you're no bother. I mean it, Madison, you would never be that to me." His eyes pierce into mine, conveying the emotion behind his words.

"Okay. That plan sounds nice." I say a bit timidly. This isn't something I'm used to but hopefully can grow into.

His smile transforms into a bright, full-out grin. "Great! I'll text you girls the info tomorrow morning. I have to see if Luke's willing to go. You know, if he feels like walking." He winks at me.

"Sometimes I wonder how my brother is a football player." V rests a finger on her chin. "He hates walking."

Maxon chuckles in response then leans in to give me a kiss on the forehead. His fresh scent overpowers me as his lips rest against me. I avoid the urge to take in his clean smell. "I'll see you tomorrow." He mutters.

"Okay," I whisper back.

"Good night beautiful. Thank you for tonight."

I merely nod in response. I don't feel like a thank-you is deserved but I'll take it. "Good night. Be careful on your way home."

He smirks at me. "Someone worried something will happen to me?"

My cheeks heat up but I don't deny it. I would never wish any harm on anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

"I'll be careful." He finally says turning and heading toward the door. "Vanessa." He inclines his head in her direction. "Have a good night."

"Good night, Maxon! Rest well!" She waves her hand and I seriously wonder how this girl has energy all the damn time.

He opens the door. "Lock the door behind me. Don't open it for anyone, understand? Be safe ladies."

His gaze lingers on me for a little longer before leaving, the door clicking softly behind him.

Vanessa automatically turns on me, hands on her hips. "You have a lot of explaining to do, young lady."

I sigh inwardly. This is going to be a long night.

                                                                                                 * * *

Vanessa and I stay up most of the night talking. She bombards me with question after question about Maxon. I recount everything that happened that afternoon, not holding back any detail. When I finally get to the part where he told me that he likes me, she gets up with a squeal.

"I knew it! Mad," She shakes her head. "This is the greatest news of my life! I wonder if Luke knows? God, he'll be so happy to know he's moving on from—yeah." She squeals again and hugs me. "I'm so happy! I never knew that he would—but then he said—and then you—wow! Life is so full of surprises!"

I'm not sure what she means by that last part but I try to stop her so I can get a word in. "V—"

"What did he say? Does he want you to go out with him? What did you say? Definitely yes, I'm sure. I mean, why would you say no?"

"V—" I try again but she keeps on rambling.

"That boy is the definition of hot. H-O-T. And did you see the way he was looking at you?" She fans herself. "If I wasn't in the room he would've eaten you up!"

I blush so hard at that moment that I'm sure the tomatoes would welcome me into their family.

"Vanessa, stop."

"What?" She sits next to me. "Madi, this is—I'm so happy for you guys."

"Vanessa let me talk before you go jumping to conclusions."
"You said no?!" She stares at me in complete shock as if she never considered me giving him an answer other than yes.

"Kind of," I say, feeling sheepish.

"What?!"

"Let me finish. Maxon is—" I take in a deep breath. "I feel like he's a good guy but—"

"He is," Vanessa adds.

"After hearing the girls in the bathroom..." I shrug, pulling at the threading on the comforter. "It kind of...changed how I viewed him. When he arrived I tried to ignore him, act cold and harsh with him, get him to leave—but he didn't."

All my usual tactics went flying out the window, my rejection and friends-only rule only making him more determined.

"Eventually, our argument shifted." I continue and look straight ahead toward the dark t.v. "We ended up going from fighting to talking. That's when he confessed to me that he liked me."

Vanessa listens attentively.

"I got scared. No guy has ever been so straightforward with me which you know." She nods and I continue, "I asked him why. Why go through all this when he can have anyone he wants?"

Vanessa's gaze softens. "Madison..."

"I didn't think he would answer but he didn't back down. He only said he knows. He knows what I feel like. That he's been cheated on." I slowly turn to face Vanessa. "Why didn't you tell me? I felt so guilty for treating him like shit. And I can't deny that part of me is still wary about him. He's-he's too good to be true."

"Madi," Vanessa looks sad as she lays a hand on my shoulder. "it wasn't my place to tell and besides, I never knew the details of his breakup. Other than he and his ex broke up and he was a mess after that."

I stare down at my hands, trying to swallow back that guilt. I hate that I can't seem to fully believe Maxon. He's a great guy and I'm...jaded. I can't help but overthink everything.

"I'm sure he deserves someone better than me, Vanessa."

"What the fuck are you talking about, Madison? You're a great girl for him. Honestly. When I say he was a mess? He was a mess. I haven't seen him act that way since we arrived and it's all thanks to you."

Curiosity gets the best of me and I decide to ask her, "Did you ever meet her?"

She scrunches her brows. "Meet who?"

"His ex? The girl...you know, the girl who cheated on him?"

Anger flares in her sky-blue eyes. "Yeah, a couple of times. Sweet at first but turned out to be a complete bitch." She scoffs. "I used to consider her a big sister but my mistake. I hadn't seen that bitch in two years and when I finally got to meet her you know what she said?"

"What?" I whisper, afraid to know.

"'Do I know you?' BITCH!" Vanessa pulls at the tips of her hair, obviously, the memory of her is a dark part of their pasts.

"Did you tell Maxon?"

"Of course I did. He confronted her about it and she totally denied it. Saying she would never do that to 'Valentina.'" She rolls her eyes so hard, that I'm sure that if she were to pop up around here she would be dead. "I saw her true colors then. She didn't love Maxon or anyone for that matter. She was only using him for her own selfish purposes." She shakes her head. "He was so stupidly in love with her. Blindingly so."

My stomach clenches at the thought of Maxon loving such a vile woman. Love makes you blind that's for sure. Not that I know what that feels like. In all my twenty-two years of age, I've never loved anyone. Jadedness at its finest.

I bite my lip and Vanessa turns to me, worry marring her pretty face.

"You're not going to say anything?"

"No."

"Madison, I don't want what I told you to affect your relationship with Maxon. He's a good guy and—"

"I know he's a good guy." I really do. I can tell by the way his friends act and are so protective of him. This is why I have decided, "Vanessa, Maxon and I aren't in a relationship. I only suggested for us to be friends and he accepted but—"

"What? But I thought—"

"We're leaving in a few days. I have no intention of giving him a chance, V."

Her jaw drops. "Madi, if this is because of what I told you—"

"He deserves someone better than me, Vanessa. Don't you see? I can't do that to him. I don't want him to get so attached. Any more than he has at least."

"But—"

"You can't convince me, Vanessa. The moment we leave? Not only will he stay behind, but the memory of him too."

It's for the best.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 8K 133
Trope: Sisters roommate "Elizabeth." I choke out. "Yeah?" "I need you to let me go, if you don't, I'll lose myself in you and won't go out to that g...
507K 15.6K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
303K 12.2K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
8.4K 255 31
Brynn Jones knows what she wants and doesn't care what she has to do for it. She made sure she got a girls' soccer team. She tries to get good points...