A Court of Light and Melody

Od Daevastanner

550 pages complete - daily updates coming 7/18 The insinuation didn't make her mad. It didn't comfort her. Bu... Více

Prologue
PART I - Chapter 1 - Where is My Mind?
Chapter 2 - Ready to Be Found
Chapter 3 - The Way You Did Once
Chapter 4 - Staring at a Ghost
Chapter 5 - Lost My Heart
Chapter 6 - Just Come Home
Chapter 7 - Dressed in Blue
Chapter 8 - Symphony
Chapter 9 - Dust
Chapter 10 - Still Falling
Chapter 11 - Without You
Chapter 12 - Tumble from the Sky
Chapter 13 - Lost with You
Chapter 14 - Scars You Hide
Chapter 15 - Fade Me
Chapter 16 - See Me
Chapter 17 - Brighter
Chapter 18 - Keep Surviving
Chapter 19 - Be the One
Chapter 20 - Cry
Chapter 21 - Scratch Your Surface
Chapter 22 - Become Endless
Chapter 23 - Lay with Me
Chapter 24 - Help a Fool
Chapter 25 - Call My Name
Part II: Mate - Chapter 26 - Recommend Me
Chapter 27 - Give Me
Chapter 28 - Meant to Be
Chapter 29 - Songbird
Chapter 30 - The Darkest of Rooms
Chapter 31 - Night
Chapter 32 - Devils
Chapter 33 - Look Away
Chapter 34 - Quite This High
Chapter 35 - Echo
Chapter 36 - Stay Gold
Chapter 37 - Everything Changed
Chapter 38 - Keep Me Here
Chapter 39 - Shine
Chapter 40 - Linger
Chapter 41 - Don't Fear the Sun
Chapter 42 - More than Blood
Chapter 43 - Counting My Sins
Chapter 44 - What this Word'll Throw
Chapter 45 - Try to be a Saint
Part III - Lightsinger - Chapter 46 - Less I Know
Chapter 47 - There Will Come
Chapter 48 - Break That Way
Chapter 49 - Hollow
Chapter 50 - Which Side You're On
Chapter 51 - Thoughts Devour
Chapter 52 - So Much
Chapter 53 - Dive Right Into You
Chapter 54 - Deep
Chapter 55 - In Bed
Chapter 56 - My Tongue is a Weapon
Chapter 57 - A Little Vision
Chapter 58 - Don't You Fret
Chapter 59 - Back to You
Chapter 60 - No Man
Chapter 61 - Pity the Men
Chapter 62 - From Dust
Chapter 63 - Sin and Misery
Chapter 64 - Just Died
Chapter 65 - Close This Wound
Chapter 66 - See Her
Chapter 68 - Clear
Chapter 69 - We Must Say Goodbye
Chapter 70 - More Than Anything
Epilogue
Play the Fool
Hope
Don't Leave Lonely
Fever Ahead
Play It
Want Your Sex
A Light
Moving On
Strayed
We Can Walk
With Me
Baby Sing

Chapter 67 - It Just Hurts

2.4K 104 40
Od Daevastanner

"We don't heal in isolation, but in community."

- S. Kelley Harrell

Song: Bubble Gum - Clairo

The following morning, when Gwyn made her way downstairs, she found Elain donning traveling clothes with a rucksack at her feet.

In the doorway Lucien, Feyre, Rhysand, and Nesta waited, exchanging quiet conversation.

Gwyn was content to offer Elain a nod, uncertain if the female felt like talking moments before departing for exile, but...

"Gwyn," Elain said softly. When Gwyn paused at the base of the stairs, Elain continued, "I'm glad you found another way."

She couldn't quite bring herself to smile, not wholeheartedly at least, but Gwyn nodded. "Me too."

"When he had you compel me, when he had me at the tip of a spear, I knew then that..." A self admonishing sigh. "I was a fool."

Gwyn frowned. "He was the first person to be concerned for you in a long time. Compassion goes a long way, especially when you're... recovering. He took advantage of you." Gwyn found herself reaching for the female's hand. "Don't forget what I said." She swallowed the thickness in her throat. "It gets easier."

It was hard to look at Elain, a survivor in a different way, and not feel sympathy. Gwyn found herself glad the consequences of the female's actions were equal parts punishment and rehabilitation.

Elain's smile was sad. "Perhaps when I return to Velaris someday we can have that lunch?" Gwyn nodded and the female's eyes moved down to their matching bargain marks. "I suppose you have till your deathbed to complete the agreed upon compulsion."

"Yes, but... I have something fairly harmless in mind," Gwyn smirked.

"I know you do. Don't wait till your deathbed."

"I don't think I'm capable of that," she snorted. Gwyn released Elain's hand. "But after that, I don't ever want to use that side of my magic again. No good can come of taking away someone's free will."

"Perhaps," she shrugged. "But with your magic, Azriel may have no need of a dagger called Truth-Teller. Something to consider."

"Care to say more?" Gwyn asked with a raised brow.

"I think I ought to be more careful with how much of the future I divulge from now on," grimaced Elain. She looked over at Lucien. "But this is right. It always has been."

Gwyn did not know Lucien well, but from the conversation they had shared and from what she had heard, he seemed to be a good male. And Elain, despite her demons and wrongdoings, was good at heart. She wished them every happiness.

"Goodbye, Elain."

Elain's farewell had left Gwyn melancholy, and much to Azriel's resentment, she parted ways from him to go on a walk through the grounds. Just to be alone with her thoughts. To clear her head.

When she returned it was late afternoon.

Azriel was nowhere to be found. According to Morrigan, he and Cassian had flown to the Mortal Lands to see that everything was in order for Jurian to start overseeing Graysen's men and his estate. He was to begin determining sentences today. However, thanks to Gwyn commanding the mortals not to return until they were ready to broker peace, the need for confinement or cells was minimal.

As such, Gwyn found herself once more wandering about Tamlin's estate, but this time in search of company. In search of Nesta and Emerie.

She found them by the hedges on the back lawn, side by side on a wooden bench.

Gwyn took a seat on the other side of Nesta, not looking at the female's face. She knew Nesta did not appreciate others witnessing her moments of vulnerability. Instead the three sat on the bench in silence. Occasionally Nesta's breathing would hitch or she would reach up and wipe away a stray tear. Gwyn knew she would talk when she was ready.

Finally, "I am sorry that Elain had to be the one to kill Graysen... but at the same time I'm glad it was her." Nesta's lip curled in a sneer. "I'm glad the bastard died knowing that she saw through him in the end." She looked at Gwyn. "Elain apologized to you?"

"Mmhm," Gwyn nodded. "It wasn't necessary, but she did. Recovery is... complicated."

"I should've checked on her more," Nesta sniffed.

"No, Nesta," said Emerie, placing a hand on her knee. "Don't put that blame on yourself."

"Elain could have spoken up," Gwyn pointed out. "There are a million different ways that this all could have been avoided. But you aren't responsible for Graysen's manipulation or Elain's falling prey to it."

Nesta nodded but Gwyn could see in her eyes that the eldest Archeron would shoulder the blame for sometime. It would take a while for this wound to heal.

Gwyn inched closer to Nesta, taking one of her hands. "She's coming back."

"But everything will be different," Nesta said with a shuddering exhale.

Gwyn met her eyes. "Yes." A faint smile. "But she'll be back. She's alive. She chose to go with Lucien. Take comfort in knowing that for once, Elain decided her fate."

"And Lucien seems nice," Emerie shrugged. "You said when they left they'd already struck up conversation..."

Nesta gave another solemn nod.

"I know what it is to lose a sister," Gwyn said. "It's like you've lost a limb. It's cliche, but it's true." She squeezed Nesta's fingers. "But she's still here. And you'll see her again."

Nesta's steely gaze softened. "Gwyn, I didn't even consider... I know it's not the same as... as losing Catrin—"

Gwyn shook her head with a sheepish smile. "Please don't apologize. I lost Catrin and yes, it's different than how you've lost Elain, but they're both still a part of us."

Nesta returned her wry grin. "And what would Catrin have to say about your mate?"

Gwyn felt her cheeks heat.

Emerie leaned forward so Gwyn could better see her, her brows narrowed. "Yes, about that. I know I said I was fine with you talking to us when you were ready, but really ? Not telling us that the shadowsinger was your mate?"

Nesta laughed wearily and Gwyn was glad for the first real glimmer of happiness on her friend's face. "Gwyn, honestly, how long have you known?"

"Morrigan knew too..." Emerie muttered.

Nesta's jaw dropped. "I'm sorry, we were the last to know?"

"Technically Amren and her beau don't know so... you aren't the very last," Gwyn winced. She raised two placating hands. "We wanted to wait until all of this was over. So we could tell everyone under more pleasant circumstances."

Nesta barked a laugh. "Are you aware of the circumstances under which the news was broken?"

"They weren't pleasant..." snickered Emerie.

"I dunno." Nesta raised her chin, her face set in a cool mask. "I found it very pleasant when Azriel punched Rhys..."

Gwyn flushed to the roots of her hair. While she didn't relish the thought of her mate fighting his own brother, she didn't mind the idea of her mate ready to unleash all hell for her. It felt like something out of one of Nesta and Emerie's books.

"He was lucky that Cassian was there to drag me away..." Nesta continued.

Emerie cleared her throat.

Nesta's voice was flat. "And you did a marvelous job of deterring me as well, Em. Good show."

"I'm sorry," Gwyn said, hooking a lock of hair behind her ear. "I wanted to tell you all sooner."

"Very well, Gwyn. You're forgiven," Emerie said with a flippant wave. "But we get to help plan the ceremony."

The cool mask Nesta had worn melted away in a flash. "Yes, which will be when?"

Gwyn smiled to herself. "I don't know."

There was a pause before Emerie spoke, her eyes danced with amusement. "Gwyn..." She inclined her head, lowering her voice, "Tell us, is the wingspan rumor..."

Nesta smirked. "I am very curious."

Gwyn glanced for any lingering ears, then leaned closer in. "Huge," was all she said.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

49.8K 1.2K 82
:Contains ACOSF and Az POV Spoilers: Gwyn is still chased by the ghosts of the past. She craves to find herself beyond that girl and find her place i...
14.9K 481 13
An Elucien Holiday Novella Lucien still didn't look at her. "I have spoken with Feyre. She, as you know, has spell-cleaving abilities - far greater t...
19.3K 440 22
When she meets his eye, it's like those times when they glance at each other during training, when they're in perfect agreement for an extended, shin...
37.1K 743 43
Following the events of the Azriel bonus chapter... Extremely slow-burn sexy Elriel, angsty Az, forbidden love, glamorous parties, powers, and DRAMA...