we'll find each other. | dnf

By effyissleepy

ON HIATUS!!! WILL RETURN SOON!! !TW! : blood/gore, death, fighting, hostage situations, panic attacks, angst... More

prologue.
found you

but at least we have each other

238 16 10
By effyissleepy

fanart cred: @/skywerse

chapter 1. but atleast we have each other

The fire burned bright, too bright for Georges comfort. The three sat around the pit in the desolate woods and it was darker than Sapnaps raven hair.  

It'd been two weeks since they'd left the comfort of their apartment. They had been running low of food despite rationing it to their best efforts and they could hear the vile noise of walkers coming from the apartment next to them. Now, all they had was two measly cans of chicken noodle soup, heating up over the fire Dream started. But it was enough, the only thing they needed in that moment was each other and maybe some rest.

George didn't pay much attention to his two friends who conversated over the warmth of the fire and the savory taste of food in their mouths after so long. He couldn't find an appetite in him, only thoughts, fears, questions to ask with nobody to answer. He wondered how many people were taken by these monsters, surely they weren't the last ones alive to ask these things. Was his family alive? His other friends? Was anyone coming to save them?

George doubted it. Whatever this virus was that was turning these people into cannibals, bringing them back from the dead, had taken so many people. By the fifth day the streets were empty and the world went eerily quiet--no cars, no traffic, no music from the neighbors, no chatter from the civilians. Everything George used to get annoyed by he now missed. He just wanted everything to return how it used to be, late nights with his friends, not a single care in the world.  

He knew he couldn't keep waiting with the false hope someone was gonna save them and they could continue on their lives. This was their lives.

Sapnap was the first to kill. When you're cornered by the living dead in an empty grocery store, do you really have a choice? 

No, not if you want to survive in this new world. 

"George?" Dream tapped him, gaining his attention, "You need to eat something."

"No, I don't have an appetite."

Dream poured the remainder of his soup into a small container they'd brought along. "It doesn't matter, you need your strength."

"Agreed, speaking of, we need sleep. who wants to take first watch? We can't let our guards down again." Sapnap said, setting the knife he had been carving into the bark of the log they sat on down.

Weapons were the first thing they'd searched for when they got into the outside world. It was more difficult than you'd imagine. They'd only managed to find three knives and a gun on a dead officer, barely any ammo. They didn't know much about these zombies..how to kill them, what attracts them, what happens if you get bit, nothing. Nada. So guns weren't probably the most clever idea for now, but maybe when they, if they, got a silencer. Either way they designated the gun to Sapnap, the texan who could probably handle it better then either of them.

"I'll take first watch, I slept before we left so I'll be okay." Dream offered woth a sad smile. He hated that they had to do this, all he wanted was the familiar feeling of safety and protection to be returned to him.

George nodded, feeling the energy draining out of him just from hearing, "sleep." His spark was getting smaller and smaller with every passing day. Those same days seemed longer now, and the nights grew scarier.

While Dream put out the fire, George and Sapnap got comfortable on the ground. George, being the smarter out of the two layed his jacket down in the dirt. Sapnap however didn't seem to care, he was eager to close his eyes and rest.

He stared up to the dark sky, watching as the smoke and embers rose to the clouds and all the stars. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Dream, looking off of the hill top they resided on.

George could feel his body sinking to the ground, his muscles relaxing and his thoughts fading away like the smoke from the fire. He was fighting to keep his eyes open, his body was begging for sleep.

And before he knew it, he was back in a happy place--his dreams.

(...)

Dream stared off to the horizon. Half of him was there, vigilant of every small shuffle in the leaves or the sound of every tiny twig snapping, but the other half of him wasn't. That half of him was off in the clouds, drifting to a happier place.

Most people's happy places vacations to the Bahamas or on a cruise to Hawaii, but Dreams was nothing of the sorts. His was long nights with his bestfriends, pizza dinners because they had forgotten to go grocery shopping, competitive video games that would become the reason for tomorrow's pettiness.

Before Dream had any longer to see these thoughts out and relive his old, wonderful life, he heard twigs snapping in the distance. His head snapped towards the forest and he got to his feet, just as he was about to approach, he saw a small tan bunny hop from the brushes and shrubs.

A small smile twisted from his lips and a thought came to mind. A perfect way to wake his two friends up seemed to be with a sufficient meal, so, he figured he'd catch the bunny and cook it before they woke up.

Surely he could do it, he thought. Dream cautiously took a few steps foward, but the bunny ran in the other direction, down the steep hill.

He chased after the small rodent, hand hovering over the knife hoisted in his belt as he tried to catch his late dinner.

"Jesus fucking christ, fast mother fucker." He said between gasps for air. But he was determined, and he wouldn't give up so easily. 

(...)

Small droplets fell onto Sapnaps face, awakening from a sleep he wanted to stay in. As he sat up and scanned the area, all their bags and supplies were there. There was just one thing missing.

Dream.

"Dream? Dream, where are you?" He called to no reply. He could feel his heart sinking to his chest, a bad gut feeling and instinct rising.

"Whats going on?" George said, also just waking up from the shouting and the sudden downpour.

Sapnap jumped to his feet to look over more ground, "He's not here." Panic was more than audible in his voice and concern was prominent on his face, not that George could see very well considering it was still so dark out.

"What? How long has he been gone for? He wouldn't just leave us like that, especially asleep."

Sapnap put his hands on his face, pacing around nervously as George collected there stuff, grabbing Dreams bag of supplies too. aswell, apparently none of them got the message to pack light so now, George was stuff carrying two heavy ass bags.

"We're gonna find him it's okay." He said, his voice shaky. He didn't know if he was trying to assure Sapnap or himself.

Sapnap watched as George took the lead.

Now, thunder boomed in the sky and the rain came down harder, the water pellets hitting their skin like it was nothing.

The hill was muddy, George was running to find their friend. This wouldn't end well, Sapnal just knew it.

"George! Wait--"

It all happened so fast. In the blink of an eye, Sapnap watched as George tumbled down the muddy and rocky hill, the bags he held sliding down with him.

Sapnap dropped his bag at the speed of light to go after him--he was careful not to slip like his friend, but at the same time his nerves were jumping and wouldn't allow him to slow down.

Unlike once before, everything felt like it was in slow motion. His eyes darted to the bag which had spilled it contents, a flashlight layed next to a rock, flickering its last spark until finally the light shut off. Next to it was a canteen, and next to that was George.

"Hey, hey look at me." Sapnap kneeled next to the latter, his hands on his face, holding his head up. Water dripped from his dark hair onto the other as he tried to keep him conscious. 

A low grumbling noise came from afar, he knew he had to think quickly. He grabbed the canteen and stuffed it in his bag, finding no use to grab to broken flashlight.

"Okay, George, are you awake?"

He received a weak nod in return, "Good, I need you to help me out, okay? On the count of three I'm gonna help you up. We gotta get outta' here." His voice cracked. "1, 2, 3."

With one arm under George, he managed to get him off of the ground. They were now moving at a mid pace, Sapnap groaned. The weight of his overfilled bag and George was unbearing, but he knew he had to make this work. He had to try and get them both to safety so they could figure out how to get to Dream.

"If we ever get separated, we'll find eachother here, okay? We've already lost so much, we can't lose eachother too. We are all we have." Dream said as they were stopped on a highway, jam packed with empty and abandoned cars. It was right outside the forest, where they planned to seek shelter for the night.

It was Georges idea. The trees night help provide them cover if it rained, they could also help hide the smoke if they were to make a fire for warmth and food. There was of course a downside to this, the unknown. The darkness of the trees. The lack of real shelter and safety. But it would do, they figured.

(...)

Sapnap breathed heavily, his back aching.

The rain had finally calmed to a light sprinkle, and ahead of them he could make out the figure of a small building.

"See? I told you, we'd find somewhere."  He gave an empty laugh as they came closer.

It was like talking to a brick wall. George hadn't said a single word since the fall, and his concerns that he may have sustained a concussion or worse were only growing.

He had to think about what Dream would do in this situation so, the second they got inside he would check for any open injuries or head wounds.

They proceeded towards the small cottage.

Sapnap opened the door. Everything felt mellow and hopeless. What if they never found Dream? What if the walkers got to him before they did? He felt his chest tightening, his eyes watering. He shook his head, he had to focus on George right now. That was his priority.

He set George on the couch of the cottage to take a look around. To his suprise, most of the interior still looked..normal. No blood, no corpses, no rodents or stuff thrown around. It wasn't what he had gotten used to seeing, and it was a sight for sore eyes. He never would have thought those things would become his reality, but here he was.

After setting everything down and taking a minute to catch his breath and recalculate everything that just happened, Sapnap started to look for anything that could be useful.

He walked over the creaky floorboards to a bedroom. The bed was made, closet neat and a photo on the bedside table. He picked it up.

In the photo was an elderly couple, wide smiles on their face. He didn't share the smile, he wore a sorrowful face. He felt somewhat guilty for just walking into a home that once used to be filled with happiness in memories. Now, he was there to assist his best friend who had been put in harms way. He was there to figure out a way to get his other friend back.

He had no clue what he was going to do. All he knew was that he couldn't lose Dream.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

969K 36.7K 87
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
1M 33.7K 60
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
267K 8.6K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...