Sweet Summer Sunsets- A Rober...

By TheWritingCavy

After high school, Ashley doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. Until her best friend, a charming... More

Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Author's Note!
Ashley

Ashley

1K 8 14
By TheWritingCavy

We all got up and followed mum around the house, I could tell she was leading us to the little shed on the side of our property. 

So many things were going through my head. Where was Jackson? What could these keys go to? I understand my dad wanting Robert and me to get together, so did mum and I'm sure Robert's family did too. It was the perfect movie trope- two kids who grew up together falling in love. I doubted Robert felt that way about me, and as dad said, we didn't want to ruin our friendship.

Mum slid open the shed door, turning on the light. The shed was fairly big, but the others stayed at the door while I followed mum in. 

She moved around some gardening tools and other equipment before reaching the back of the shed, where there was a tarp. She turned towards me. 

"You were always with your dad, going on adventures when we moved here. He knew how much you loved going with him, so he left you this," she said, removing the tarp.

There sat dad's blue dirt bike. It was identical to the one Steve had that Robert had fixed up, just blue. 

"Dad left me the dirtbike? I don't know what I thought happened to it, but I didn't think it was here," I said, running my hands over the leather seat.

"He sure did. It may need some work done, but I filled it with petrol the other day, I figured you'd want to take it out soon. If it needs something done to it, maybe Robert can help," Mum said, admiring the bike.

"Thank you so much, mum. I know it's not like dad being here, but it's nice now having a physical piece of him," I said, wiping more tears from my eyes.

Mum reached behind her and handed me a helmet. 

"That was his too!" I said. I slipped it over my head. It fit perfectly, and it smelled like him still.

Taking off the helmet, I hugged my mum, both of us sniffling. 

"Well, who wants cake?" I said, laughing slightly after mum and I pulled away. 

"I do!" Robert said, trying to lighten the mood more. 

"You always want cake," I laughed, setting the helmet on the seat of the dirtbike and walking out of the shed.

We went back to the porch, where we all helped clean up plates and bring them inside. Going back outside, mum grabbed the cake. I picked a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, and mum had the bakery add little chocolate animals.

After cake, Wes and Luke left, giving me one last congratulation. The rest of us, mum, me, and the Irwins, all still sat around on the porch as the sun set. The guys had already taken apart the table and brought it and the chairs inside. 

Robert and I sat on the porch swing, while the rest of our families were sitting around the small porch table. I was scrolling through FaceBook when a pang of hurt hit me. Jackson couldn't come to my party after he promise he would, but he was tagged in some girl's photo on  FaceBook. The only caption was "a great evening". I got a text from him.

"Oh, Jackson texted me," I said, clicking on the message to see it.

"Oh really? What excuse did he give for not coming?" Robert said bitterly. 

"He just said he got busy," I shrugged. "But he was tagged in a photo on FaceBook, of him and some girl." I was hurt but tried not to let it bother me.  We weren't officially dating, and we did just start talking. But he said I was different. I should've known better.

I noticed Robert's grip on the edge of the porch swing.

"But are you okay? I'll beat him up if I had to," He said. I laughed, Robert would never hurt anyone on purpose. He's not that kind of person. 

"It's fine Robbie," I said, "I mean we just started talking and weren't officially dating or anything. And I don't know maybe it's his cousin or something." I tried to think of any other explanation than Jackson could have lied to me. I texted him back. 

Me: well, who is the girl in the photo then

Jackson: that's my cousin, Sheryl

Me: oh okay

"See Robert, it is his cousin," I said, glad I was able to prove him wrong,

"Oh, okay," he replied, still sounding angry. I shrugged his attitude off. 

"Oh, are we still on for the beach tomorrow?" I asked, remembering we had planned to go to the Sunshine Coast so Robert could try teaching me how to surf.

"Oh, definitely! I'm not needed at the zoo tomorrow, and mum said it was fine. So just text me when you're up and we can go!" His face lit up, and I could tell it made him happy to change the subject and talk about something else he enjoyed. 

Robert's family walked over. "You ready to go home? Bindi and Chandler need to get Grace in bed, and I have some paperwork to do," Terri said. 

"Yeah mum," he replied, getting off the swing. I stood up and hugged him and his family and said good night to them.

Mum and I went back inside. "Thank you mum, for today. It was nice to have everyone here." I said.

"Of course sweetheart. I'm very proud of you, and your dad would be too," She replied, hugging me again. "You're going to the beach with Robert tomorrow, right?" 

"Yeah, if that's still okay." 

"Of course it is, but I'll be at the zoo by the time you wake up, just let me know when you're leaving, and be safe. I'm going to bed too now, I love you." She planted a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you too mum." I grabbed my gifts from today and went up to my room, setting them on my desk. 

I changed into some pyjama shorts and a tank top and got in bed, texting Jackson. It was only 9 and I would be up for a few more hours.

We texted back and forth, talking about our families and some of our favourite things, sort of playing 21 questions in an effort to get to know each other better. 

Jackson and I had hung out a couple of times at school, and I've seen him around the zoo every so often. He was a year younger than me in school, had a few dogs, a little sister, and said it was his cousin visiting him from Sydney. 

Jackson wasn't bad looking, with dark hair and bright blue eyes. His hair fell over his eyes and he had a surfer look, which I did learn he did love to surf too. He was charming, considering he had dated so many girls. But he was being sweet and giving me compliments or texting me sweet nothings until I fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning around 10 to Tiger walking on my chest and nuzzling my face with his. He did this most mornings when I slept in late enough. I think he just wanted food. but I treasured these moments of him wanting loving and special time from me.

I sat up in bed, stretching once I did. I grabbed my phone and texted Robert.

Me: hey! I'm up. Give me like 30 mins and I'll be over

Robert: sweet as! See ya then

Me: sweet as :)

Getting out of bed, I went through my bathroom to my closet. I pulled out a white sundress and a tie-dye bikini. I chose a bikini without any straps or anything that ties, it shouldn't come off if a wave knocks me off the surfboard.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and changed. I figured I'd shower when I get back to wash the saltwater and sand off of me. 

I checked on my guinea pigs and noticed mum gave them their veggies before she left, I didn't even hear her come into my room. Well, I was a hard sleeper and stayed up until 3 am talking to Jackson. I grabbed my backpack and stuffed a towel in. Grabbing my keys I went downstairs.

Hey sweetie, I packed you a lunch. It's in the fridge, and the beach umbrella is already in the Jeep, have fun!

I smiled, my mum was the best. I grabbed the lunchbox type cooler out of the fridge and went outside to my Jeep. I texted mum to tell her I was leaving and drove to the Irwins.

I pulled up to their house and Robert was waiting outside, two surfboards next to him. I helped him put them on the roof of my Jeep and strap them to the luggage rack.

"Ready? You're gonna have so much fun!" He said enthusiastically.

"I am! I'm so excited to learn how to surf. Thanks again for teaching me!" I said, driving off towards the beach, soft music playing through the radio and the windows down. 

We drove the thirty or so minutes to the beach, singing along to country music, Coldplay, The Script, and Ed Sheeran mostly. 

Now we were out on the water, sitting on the surfboards, paddling out to waves. 

"Okay, let's start with a small one, to get you used to it," Robert said, and I agreed. 

We spent a few hours of him teaching me how to surf, and we were both having so much fun. I only fell off the surfboard a few times.

"You're a natural!" Robert said as we were walking to our spot in the sand where we had set down the lunch, a picnic blanket, and the beach umbrella.

"I like to think I'm a fast learner," I said laughing.

We stuck our boards in the sand and sat down for our lunch.

It was a nice day on the beach, it wasn't too hot but it wasn't too windy or anything either, and the water was warm. There were a few families in the same area of the beach, but not enough to make it feel crowded.

"Oh, Jackson's cousin is from Sydney," I said, nonchalantly. "We stayed up until 3 or so talking. He really is a sweet guy."

"Well, I'm glad you're happy at least," he said, taking a bite out of his sandwich, "you deserve it."

"Aw well thank you, Robbie," I said, smiling. 

Then, I noticed something on the sand. It looked like a rock of sorts, but every so often I thought I saw it move. 

"Hey space cadet, you up there?" Robert joked, noticing I was zoning out, seemingly staring off into space.

"Huh? Oh, yeah I'm here," I laughed, "but do you see that? It looks like that rock is moving?" I pointed to where I was looking. Robert cocked an eyebrow, obviously confused.

"Wait, is that a sea turtle?" I said, setting down my food and leaning closer.

"It is! Come on, it might be hurt," Robert immediately set down his food and got up, running towards it. I got up and followed him, running to keep up with him.

As we approached the sea turtle, we noticed it had some fishing line tangled around her and was struggling to move. 

"We got to bring her back to the hospital! She's a small thing. Here let me grab her," Robert bent down and grabbed her, noticing part of her flipper was bleeding. "she's tangled in fishing line, and it looks like there's a hook right there." He pointed to the injured flipper. 

"Come on, let's take her."

We hurried over to our picnic spot, Robert trying to be as quick as he could with the turtle. I threw my sundress over my clothes and started picking up our lunch. Robert put the turtle in the backseat of my jeep with the blanket wrapped around her to try to keep her calm. I grabbed the lunchbox, along with the umbrella. Robert quickly helped me with the surfboards before getting in the back seat with the sea turtle, and I drove us as quickly as I could to the wildlife hospital. 

Robert already called his mum and let her know we were coming, so she, Bindi, my mum, and Dr Rosie were already at the entrance waiting for us. Robert quickly swung open the door of the jeep before I could even get the car in park. 

"She's tangled in the wire pretty bad, and her flippers are stuck close to her body so I don't think she could swim. The hook is here," he informed Dr Rosie. We followed everyone back into the hospital where they brought the turtle to an exam room that had been prepped for her.

"Yeah she looks a bit malnourished, I don't think she's been able to swim and feed for a few days at least. Thank you guys so much for bringing her in," she replied, starting to examine the turtle.

"Why don't you two go wait in the break room while we check her over?" Bindi said.

Robert and I nodded and went to the break room where he got us each a water bottle.

"I'm so glad I saw her. Not being able to eat she would've starved," I said, propping my elbows on the table and pressing my fingertips to my temples. 

"I know, Ash. But we found her and she's getting the best care possible. I'm sure she's okay," Robert said, rubbing my shoulder to comfort me. My phone went off, it was from Jackson. 

Jackson: hey gorgeous, how was surf lessons?

Me: it was so much fun! We found a young sea turtle tangled in fishing line though, back at the wildlife hospital now 

Jackson: oh no! Is she gonna be okay?

Me:  I think so

I blushed at my phone. No one has ever just texted me calling me gorgeous or anything like that before. Maybe I was different to him.

"Well good news guys! She'll be okay," mum said as she, Terri, and Bindi came and sat down at the round table with us. 

"Oh, that's wonderful!" I said, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Thankfully you found her. A day or two more and she would've gotten sick from not eating and I don't think we could've saved her then. Dr Rosie cleaned up her wound and got her untangled. She'll stay here until she reaches ideal weight and we can release her back into the wild," Terri said, pride in her voice. I know how much saving animals, regardless of species, means to her.

"That's great!" Robert said, obviously relieved as well. "Should we call her Noosa, since we found her on Noosa Beach?"

"I think that's a perfect name!" Said Bindi. "Ash, would you like to come help with the otter training today?"

"Oh yes! When?" I said, obviously excited. A few times a week we did training with the otters, having them go to different sections of their enclosure and giving them food as a reward. It was a great mental stimulation for them, and they loved showing off for the guests.

"We can head there now, do you have your khakis in your locker?" She asked. We all had our own lockers and were encouraged to keep extra khakis and work boots in there for situations like this. 

I nodded and went over to the locker room, grabbing my extra clothes and changing in the closest bathroom. I shoved everything back inside my locker, I'll grab it when I head home. 

Bindi and I said goodbye to the others for now and started towards the otter enclosure.

"Soo Robert says you have a boyfriend?" Bindi said, playfully.

"Not really," I giggled, my face flushing with embarrassment, "we're just sort of, talking."

"Well, that's good! I'm happy for you, you deserve to be happy!" She was excited for me, as Bindi always was when there was romance around, even if it was between the animals.

We reached the enclosure, where a decent amount of guests had gathered around, and their head caregiver Kristen was finishing up preparing their food in the keeper hut behind the enclosure. 

We walked with her into the enclosure and began the training. We each took turns telling the otters to go to their stations and rewarding them with chunks of fish when they did. We finished up the training, and as Bindi was explaining how this benefits the otters, I noticed Jackson amongst the crowd of people watching us.

We finished speaking and went back through the keeper hut. I said goodbye to Bindi and walked out to see Jackson lingering around. 

"Hey! You said you were here so I thought I'd come to see you! Maybe you could give me more of a tour around the zoo!" He said, smiling excitedly as he did. 

"Oh, sure! What would you like to see first?" I fiddled with my hair, using the hair tie around my wrist to tie it in a ponytail.

"Hmmm, tigers?" 

"Well let's get to it!" 

And with that, we headed to the tigers. I showed him around the zoo, telling him the animals names and details of how they were rescued, as well as any fun facts while we walked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
92.6K 1.4K 29
~book 1/2~ you pursue your dreams of becoming an actor, and in the middle of it you meet your celebrity crush, Robert Irwin. turns out the feelings...
684K 33.8K 24
โ†ณ โ [ ILLUSION ] โž โ” yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader โ” yandere helluva boss x fem! reader โ”• ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก, a powerful d...
105K 3K 64
๐™Ž๐™ค๐™ข๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™จ ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™ค ๐™—๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™œ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ง ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ค๐™—๐™–๐™—๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™–๐™ก๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™จ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก *:ยท๏พŸโœง*:ยท๏พŸโœง *:ยท๏พŸโœง*:ยท๏พŸโœง ๐™Š๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™…๐™ค๐™ฎ...