Kira and Jared [Historical Ro...

By EstherAshar

After watching me struggle to his heart's content, he gripped my neck and started choking me. Then he began t... More

✍️Prologue
✍️INTRO: The emperor's bastard
✍️Jordan
✍Runaway daughter
✍Prince Edrin
✍The unexpected
✍One last time
✍First wedding night
✍I'm sorry, Kira
✍The Verhamian Princess
✍The verdict
✍Tragedy
✍The truth
✍Revived
✍Maybe this is our chance to be happy
✍Jared's hearing
✍Second wedding night
✍Revenge
✍Meeting Victor
✍A sick twist
✍️Our only hope
✍️The blacksmith
✍️The secret tunnel
✍️The countdown
✍🏻War
✍🏻I played with fire and got burned
✍🏻The purple tree
✍️King Dexter's letter
✍️Jared
✍️High-risk pregnancy
✍🏻Her caregiver
✍️Vena, daughter of Vethruk
✍️Kira's rival
✍Stay a bit longer
✍Grayson Vanderhall
✍Brave
✍Grief
✍Power-hungry
✍Grayson's daughter
✍Osiris
✍Nightmare
✍Regrets
✍Soulless
✍Breathe no more
✍Her return
✍Our secret place
✍Their love story
✍Rebels
✍Jaeigh
✍Third wedding night
✍️Epilogue
AUTHORS NOTE

✍Maybe

553 36 0
By EstherAshar

Kira:

   I woke up to Kora's loud cries and terrible pain in my head. 
The moment I remembered all that had happened previously, I jerked up and took her in my arms to calm her down. Poor thing, her throat must be hurting from crying for so long.

"Jaeigh! Jaeigh?!".   I went down into the cellar to look for him.  "Jaeigh, my dear?".   He was not there!

I climbed back up and walked to the door.
It was at that time that I saw Edrin on the floor...  "Edrin!".    I cried out and ran to him.    "Edrin, my love! Wake up! Please, I beg you...".         His body was cold and pale.

There was no time to cry, for I needed to find Jaeigh.  I walked staggeringly to the frontage. 
Desolate.  Not a single person was outside.              Jaeigh, where are you?

   I watched as the villagers began appearing from their hiding places and their homes. Madame Aimée and six other women came to me. She looked distraught, but I certainly looked much worse.

"Belle, I heard".       She embraced me.        "Word has been sent to the capital, Jaeigh will be found in no time".           She kissed my forehead.          "See, Kora is asleep, give her to me".     She took Kora from my tired arms.     "Come, let us go inside, Belle--"

"No. I must see Jared. He is the cause of everything!!".   
It was at this time that I burst into tears, all my pain and anguish coming to the surface.

"Hush, don't say that--"

"Madame...  He sent those men--".

"Quiet. Don't wake up your daughter. Be patient, Jaeigh will come home--"

"And if it was Jacques who was taken? Will you sit back and wait for him to be found?".  I asked her earnestly. I needed an answer, but she was dumbfounded.     "How can you ask a mother to do nothing? I must go to the capital myself and demand an answer from him. Hand me Kora--"

"No. You may go by yourself but Kora needs to stay warm and to eat. Go, I will watch her".

"Thank you".     
I headed for the capital which was a long long journey but I did not care. Foolish, you may say, but I was not thinking straight.
  I boarded a public transportation carriage that would take me and the other passengers to the capital.

***

   Days later, I arrived at the large market in the heart of the city. Things had changed a great deal, but I did not stop to enjoy the scenery.  When I got to the castle gate, nostalgic memories washed over me.

"Who are you and what do you want?".    A guard asked rudely.  He looked new, maybe that was why he did not recognize me.  Or maybe because I was unrecognizable with my wretched appearance.

"I need to see the King--"

"Go away, woman or I will take disciplinary actions against you".   He dismissed me immediately.

"Please, let me see the king--"

"I said leave! You poor beggar!!"

Just then, Queen Jo-Kwan came out of the castle with a little girl with beautiful, bright brown eyes and black hair tied up in a bun. They both wore blue dresses that complemented their similar features.

"Let her in".       She ordered the young guard.

"But my Queen--"

"I said so".    
She smirked at me.  "Come".

I followed her inside. Her little girl had her eyes on me the whole time but I was not in the mood to smile at anyone.  She invited me to sit with her in a room I recognized as the Queen's meeting room.

"Sit here, Sun".  She ordered the little girl who obeyed immediately. My Jaeigh would never be so compliant... I miss him so much.    Jo-Kwan then looked up at me with that exact smirk on her face like earlier on.    "This is mine and Jared's daughter, Sunia".      Then, she turned to Sunia,     "My darling, this is Kira, the woman I told you about".

Told her about me?

I shook off what she had just said and went straight to business. "Your Majesty, please, I am here because--"

"I heard.  Edrin was killed and your son abducted".   She said nonchalantly.

"Y-yes, I need Jared's help--"

"King Jared. He is King Jared to you".

"Yes. I apologize. May I see him?".    

She laughed.  
"You are so predictable, Kira. I knew you would find a reason to come here sooner or later".

"No, it's not what you think--"

"I do not care! Your husband's body has not even decayed completely and you're already here asking for my husband?"

"Don't talk like that-"

"Quiet! You, you are the reason I have been suffering for so long. Characterless women like you belong in the brothel--"

I stood up in agitation. "Jo-Kwan!! what has come over you?".

She mirrored my action.    "If you think that bastard child will be alive by tomorrow's sunset, you would be deceiving yourself".    She smirked again.

Realization hit me.    "It was you. You sent the rebels"

"I wanted those fools to kill you as well, but as always, you got lucky".      
She took slow, threatening strides toward me and I moved back on reflex.     
She continued;   "I feel sorry for you, Kira.   First, your harlot of a mother bore my father's bastard child and my mother put her in her place which is 6 feet under.  Now, you have a bastard for my husband, meaning it is your turn to die.  But I will not make the same mistakes my mother made by sparing your life.  You and your bastard will leave this world together so I can be at peace".

"What are you saying, Jo-Kwan?".   I could not process her words.  Mother? Bastard?

"Oh. I see Jared didn't tell you about Hayel, the woman who bore the emperor's bastard daughter, you".

No... No!   "You are lying, Jo-Kwan. How dare you make fun of my parents' memories?  It is not my fault if you could not make Jared love you after all these years, my innocent son and husband should not suffer for it--"

"You shall soon join them in hell.  Then I will turn your baby girl to my slave and offer her to any man who needs a companion for a night--"

"Shut your mouth!-".  
I pounced on her and hit her face.     "What did you just say about my daughter?!  Give me my son or I will kill you!!!"

I heard the door behind us open but was too angry to look back. 
Someone lifted me off of Jo-Kwan who was feigning pain.

"My Lady?".   

I looked behind me.    "Hector?"

"My Lady, why are you doing this?"

"Lock her up, Hector!!".     Jo-Kwan ordered him.

He looked at me apologetically. "Men, take her away".

"She has my son, Hector! She does-"

"Take that mad woman away from me!".   She yelled.

His men dragged me to a cell and locked me in.    Shortly after, Hector came to me.      "My Lady, we heard what happened. I am sorry for your loss--"

"She told me she has my son. Please, get him from her. She will kill him before sunset tomorrow--"

"Who told you all that?". He asked.

"Jo-Kwan did". 

He heaved out a sigh.  
"Kira, the Queen is mentally unstable and would say anything. Don't take her seriously".

"Hector, do you want me to believe that Jared sent those men to my home?"

"What? Never-"

"That man who took my son, he said Jared sent him. That is why I came, but then, Jo-Kwan confessed to it.  I swear, Hector, no one would admit to such a crime for no reason".

He took some time to think. 
"The king is in Konland now"

"He is?"

"Yes, my Lady, he heard what happened and chose to go see the extent of the damage caused by the rebels. But from what you're saying, they might not have been rebels, after all, that was just a coverup."

"So, you believe me?"

He gave a small smile.  "If I don't believe an old friend, whom will I believe".

"Thank you, Hector".

"I will sneak you out and take you to my home. Then, the men and I will begin the search for Jaeigh here in the capital"

"How do you know his name?"

"You think his majesty and I don't know where you have been?". He smiled and left. 
At nightfall, he led me through the backyard of the castle to a carriage that took me to his house.

***

On arrival at Hector's place, someone called me from the door. "Kira?". 

"Bianca".    I was overjoyed to see her. 
We hugged each other and she led me to the guest room. I had a quick bath and dressed up in a fine, linen gown.

"Here, eat something". 
She brought food to me.

"No, I cannot.  who knows if my boy has eaten anything".     "I don't deserve to be in a nice place like this when my son could be locked inside a horrible place".    
The more I thought of it, the more my heart broke.

"And what if you break down? Your son needs you to be strong. Just eat something, no matter how small--"

"You know I won't!". I snapped.

Then I realized how it must have sounded. "I'm sorry for being rude, Bee".

"It's fine. I understand. If Cedric ever went missing, I'd go crazy. It's what mothers do".

I exhaled heavily.   "That night keeps on playing in my head. How it all happened so fast."

"I understand.  At least, rest your head--"

"Hector said Jo-Kwan is mentally unstable, when did it start".

She rolled her eyes.   "If you ask me, she has always been that way, just that Jared needed the Aakhians so badly that marrying her was necessary.   But she is one dissembling woman, even when Hector and I were invited to the castle, it was obvious she did not like me because you and I are friends.    I only feel bad for Sun, poor thing has never enjoyed having a mother like the rest of us".

What Bianca said triggered my mind to remember what Jo-Kwan said earlier. My mother was a woman named Hayel? And Jared knew. Why didn't he tell me?

"Kira". 

"Huh?"

"What are you thinking?"

"Nothing. I need to rest a bit if you don't mind".

"Oh, better. Goodnight".

"Goodnight, Bee".

***

I tossed and turned on the queen-sized bed. Edrin, forgive me, I hope you know that I will always love you. Help me find our son. Yes, our son.  Jaeigh may not carry your blood, but you accepted him as your own. He is more of your son than anyone else's, not even Jared can take your place in Jaeigh's life.

***

JARED:

    I returned to the capital on receiving Hector's message. Kira is in the capital. I was eager to hear what she wanted to say. There was no trace of Jaeigh in all the places my men and I combed.

  I was hesitant to leave Sun alone with her mother, but I had people keep their eyes on them both.  I rid as fast as humanly possible through the shortcut and reached Hector's home within two days. He was at the door to welcome me.

"where is she?". I asked impatiently.

"She is upstairs".   Replied Bianca who did not look too happy to see me, it has been that way for the past five years, so, I didn't think much of it.

"Thank you, Bianca.".    I made my way upstairs where I found her sobbing. She did not see me at first, but once she felt a presence in the room, she wiped off her tears and turned to face me.

Her eyes widen a little at the sight of me but they recovered.       "Your Majesty, I need your help--"

"With Jaeigh. I have been searching for him"

"Your wife knows where he is".

"What?"

"Yes, she told me. I--"

"You went to the castle?"

"Am I not allowed to? I am a Verthonian after all, it is my right".

"You don't understand--"

"I do now, you didn't want me to upset her. How would I have known".

"Who told you she has Jaeigh?"

"She did."

He paused.   "She did?"

"Yes. She said she will kill him.... please, do something"

"Stop it.   Listen to me attentively... This should be the last time you say such vile things against you Queen. Why would she want to hurt your son? tell me".

"You don't believe me".  She said, disappointedly.

"I know Jo, and she did not take your son. Besides, she has been in treatment for months and under strict supervision, there is no way she would have done such a thing. So, get that thought out of your head".

"Jared, you think I came all this way to lie about your wife."

"Kira. My daughter needs me. If you wish to stay, I will arrange a place for you and the search for Jaeigh will go on no matter what. But as for what you just said, forget about it. It is not true".

  Since there was nothing else to say, I turned around to leave the room when she said to me.   "Jared. Did you know about Hayel?"

I turned to her.  "Where did you hear that name?"

"Tell me, is it true that I am the emperor's bastard daughter?"

"Shhh. Never say that again. No one must know".   I reprimanded.

"So, it is true?".

"Kira, some things are meant to stay hidden--"

"From the person whom it concerns the most?"

"It's not like that. It is for your good--"

She had tears in her eyes. But I did not go close to her.   "Who told you about Hayel?"

"Your wife... Look, I am not here to cause problems between the two of you, but my husband deserves justice and my son needs to be found".

"Kira, I am sorry for--"

"Don't apologize, just get me, my son!".

***

  I got home that morning and went straight to Sun's bedroom. My beautiful daughter was still asleep. I touched her lightly and she turned with a whining sound as if she was in pain.

My good God!

There were marks on her skin.

"Sun, open your eyes".   
She looked at me and hugged me.    "My little princess, what is all this?"

"Papa, why did you leave me with Mama?".   She asked with a breaking voice.

My heart ached deeply for my Darling Daughter.  "I am so sorry, my child. Forgive me, I will take you somewhere safe next time".

She pulled away and kept her sparkly eyes on my face for some time as though observing me. She is wise for her age.  "Papa?"

"Yes?"

"Mama hurt me".

"I am so sorry-"

"Let me finish, Papa... She hurt me so that I wouldn't tell you anything".

I furrowed my eyebrows.   "Tell me what?"

"That she knows where Aunty Kira's baby is"

"Did she say where?"

"No. But I know where".

I paid full attention.  "Tell me, my dear".

"First, promise you won't leave me with Mama ever again"

"I promise, now tell me".

"He is here. I saw Mama taking food somewhere but she disappeared after entering a wall".

"Can you take me there?"

"Yes".

I carried her in my arms and she guided me to the wall she claimed Jo disappeared into. It was just a secret passage like many others in the castle.  I pushed the lever in the form of a vase and the wall gave way. 
I went inside with Sun in my arms,  The corridor led us straight to the room where Kira and I were intimate for the first time.  I had not been there in years but the memory was fresh in my mind.

   I got to the door. It was heavily locked which increased my suspicion. I placed Sun down and asked her to stay back while I broke the padlock.
When it was finally broken, I lifted her off the floor and into my arms again as I pushed the door open.   A little boy about Sun's age was tied to the bed. His mouth was gagged.   He panicked when he saw me.

"Calm down, Jaeigh, I won't hurt you".    I loosened the ropes.

Sun touched his face,   "Stop crying, Jaeigh, she won't hurt you anymore".   
What she did next touched me deeply... She embraced the little boy warmly while patting his back gently. 

"Come".     I carried Jaeigh in one hand and Sun in the other. 

  I took them to my chamber and sent for the royal physician to come to look at Jaeigh, then, I ordered the servants to cook him a nutritious meal to balance his body's requirements. They bathed him also.  In no time, he became lively and Sun played with him.

I sent for Hector who expressed the same concern I was having.

"My lord, what do we do now?".  He asked.

"Bring my ink and seal, I shall write to Lischan. Enough is enough".

"Yes, my lord".

***

______________________________________________

To Lischan, Emperor of Aakh and my good friend

         I write to you with direness.

    A crime has been committed on Verthonian soil; One, involving the snatching of a child from his mother's bosom.  Another, the death of a man whom I call, brother.
These malefactions were done by none other than your beloved niece, Jo-Kwan, my wife and source of my despair.

    I need not remind you of the comeuppance deserving of such heinous deeds should word reach my people. So, for the interests of both nations, I proffer peaceful disunion of our marriage.

      I pray you to see eye to eye on this, for I know you to stand for wisdom and fairness.

                      Jared, King of Verthona.
______________________________________________

     I handed the letter over to Hector and went to see the children. Jaeigh was laughing at something Sun said.

Is it odd to say that he reminded me of myself when I was younger?  

   I was a shy little boy but I was that way because of Violet and the way she treated me as a child. But Jaeigh is the me that I never had the chance to become. 

   I rushed to my study and pulled out my old portraits.
I keep forgetting to remake this, I thought to myself on noticing the torn parts.

   I stared at my young face and saw no variation between Jaeigh and the boy staring right back at me in this portrait.

Maybe, just maybe.

.

.

.

.

Author's note: 
I hope you're having a nice day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

467K 18.9K 69
"Strip." I felt like I misheard him, but his hardened features said otherwise. I gulped down the lump in my throat and moved my hands to my back to...
15.6K 601 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
305K 18K 49
*TRADITIONALLY PUBLISHED BY FRAYED PAGES x WATTPAD BOOKS! COMING TO BOOKSTORES 6/11/24!!* |2022 Wattys Shortlist| When a demon princess and a human m...
16.8K 827 61
#2 watty16 9/09/2018 #1 triangle 15/09/2018 #4 historical fiction 23/09/18 #12 arrangement 23/12/18* Immerse yourself in the scandalous secrets of hi...