Flowers and Pop Rocks

By daniiiwrites

"Dude, can you let me sit?" Caleb questioned, pointing at the seat beside mine. Blake narrowed his eyes. "No... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
36
37
Author's Note
Secrets and Stolen Kisses

35

42 8 21
By daniiiwrites

p o p p y

The people at school had known about my relationship for two months now, yet there were still a few stares whenever I walked through the halls to my next class.

It was nice knowing that Blake was always there to make me feel comfortable, especially when people first found out. I wasn't fond of the dirty looks I was getting; I don't think anyone would be if they were in my position.

Summer still hadn't stopped with her quest to get Blake to date her, even with his countless attempts to remind her that he was perfectly happy with the relationship he was in.

My mom wasn't too pleased when learned of my relationship. After all, she was kind of the reason I promised myself I wouldn't engage in anything distracting during my senior year.

But it was inevitable that she found out.

With how much time I spent with Blake, it was only a matter of time before she started to question who was always picking me up to go out. It at least made her more comfortable knowing that it was Blake, someone whose mom she knew, and not some random guy.

What surprised me was that Blake's mom was still clueless about everything. I knew that Blake didn't talk to his mom about many things, but I was genuinely just amazed that Blake managed to keep it secret.

It didn't bother me much that she didn't know because I knew she wasn't going to be happy. I think she made it perfectly clear to me since we first spoke that she didn't like me.

"Flower, what are you thinking about?" Blake put his hand on my thigh as he drove us to our date somewhere. He said it was a secret.

"That on Monday, we'll have been together three months already," I smiled at him. "It's like I asked you out yesterday."

"Hey," he chuckled. "Asking each other out was a both of us thing. Don't take all the credit."

I laughed along with him. "Fine, fine. It was a team effort, I guess."

"Look, we're here," Blake parked the car in an open spot.

"We're looking at cacti?" I read the sign, getting out of the car. "Well, I can definitely say I've never done this before. It's very unique."

He took my hand, dragging me along. "It was the next best thing. I tried looking for somewhere with hydrangeas, but apparently people don't really do that. So cacti it is."

I covered my mouth, trying to hide my laughter. "Fin, this is so cute. And the hydrangeas you got me were enough. You don't have to bring me to a garden full of them."

"Stop laughing," he glared at me playfully. "I really tried."

"You did," I nodded, smiling. "Come on, don't worry. We're going to have a lot of fun."

Blake had his arm around me the whole time we walked around. It wasn't hard to make things fun with him. All I had to do was remember who I was with and I was happy.

We found a bench and took a seat, enjoying all the green in front of us.

"Fin?"

"Yeah?" he turned to me, listening intently.

"What would things have been like if we weren't put in that weekend thing together?" I wondered. "Would we still have ended up together, you think?"

He thought for a bit before deciding, "I think so. I probably would've gathered up the courage to ask you out. I've liked you for a while now anyway. Or who knows, maybe you'd ask me out when you get drunk at a party. Why'd you ask?"

"No reason," I shook my head. "I just can't imagine what things would've been like without you there, you know?"

"I get what you mean," he nodded. "It just feels right like this."

"Exactly," was all I said before we fell into silence again.

Poppy just spit it out.

"Blake, I love you."

My eyes widened when I realized what just came out of my mouth. My hand flew to my lips, covering them as I stressed out.

Was that the right time to say it?

"Did you just..." Blake stared at me, not able to finish his question.

I couldn't look him in the eyes when I nodded. "I-I did."

"Flower, I—" he couldn't speak. I could tell he was struggling as he tried to figure out the words to say, even without looking at him.

"You don't have to say anything. I mean, I said that because—"

He grabbed my face, smashing his lips onto mine. My eyes widened in shock before quickly fluttering shut as I went to respond to him with the movement of my lips.

I was glad we were sitting because my knees felt like jello. I wouldn't have been able to stand.

His lips tore away from mine before they left a swift kiss on my forehead. "I love you, Flower. Every single day until forever."

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes as I heard his words. My heart was overflowing with emotions, and he made me even more happy. I could die right then and there and be completely content with my life.

"Actually?"

"Why would I lie about that?"

"Because I said it to you so maybe you felt like you had to say it back?" I suggested.

It was a genuine fear. Troy had told me that he loved me countless times in the duration of our relationship, and I only realized later that he really didn't.

"Don't say that," he frowned. "I've wanted to say it for a while now, but I just never felt like it was the right time. You beat me to it again, Flower."

I gave him a quick peck. "You gotta step up your game, Fin. I can't be the one making all the moves here."

"Please," he rolled his eyes playfully. "No need to rub it in."

A soft laugh escaped my lips as I stood up, reaching my hand out as I waited for him to take it. "Let's go finish this cactus tour."

"When are you gonna stop making fun of me for bringing you here?" he whined, taking my hand and getting up from the bench.

"Once you take me on another random date like this," I grinned, earning myself an amused smile from my boyfriend.

He opened his mouth to speak, only to be cut off by a voice I knew all too well.

"Hi, Blakey. I didn't know you'd be here!"

The way she said that made me think otherwise.

"Summer?" Blake moved his head to the side to get a better look at the girl talking as I sighed and shut my eyes, putting my forehead on Blake's chest.

If I couldn't see her, she couldn't see me. Basic rules of hide and seek, right?

"My mom's here too. Come, you should go say hi to her. She'll be so happy," Summer encouraged, not even acknowledging my presence.

My hide and seek hack was working.

"Actually, I'm—"

"Stop it, come on. I promise it'll be quick," Summer tugged on his arm suddenly, making him jolt forward and subsequently, me, backward since I was facing back.

My hand gripped his tightly as I quickly lost my footing. My eyes were wide, and I almost let out an ear-piercing shriek. Thankfully, Blake had fast reflexes, and he was able to pull me back up before my butt hit the ground.

"Summer, relax. You're going to end up hurting someone," Blake chastised, surveying my body to make sure I was okay. "All good."

"Sorry," she continued to cling onto Blake's arm. "I'm just so excited. My mom's been asking to have brunch with you and Carrie."

Who would've guessed that Summer was on a first name basis with Blake's mom? I couldn't even look her in the eye.

I trailed along as Summer continued to drag Blake along, still not mentioning my existence.

"Mom, look who I found," she announced excitedly when we reached a woman who looked to be in her mid-forties. I stood behind Blake, not wanting to be involved in the conversation.

"Blake, honey!" she beamed. "What are you doing here all alone? Join us."

"Oh, I'm actually not alone," he reached back and pulled me into view.

I waved awkwardly at Summer's mom. Now that I got a better view of her, I could confidently say that her daughter was a spitting image of her, blonde hair, blue eyes and all. I couldn't really tell when I first saw her from afar at Estella's.

She eyed me cautiously before turning back to Blake, a hurt look on her face. "Why are you here with another girl? You should've invited Summer to come with you instead."

"Mrs. Rowland, I have no reason to be going somewhere with your daughter," he replied as politely as he could.

"No reason?" she scoffed. "Do you need a reason to do things with your girlfriend? I don't think so. There's no need to bring this wannabe Bratz doll here when Summer is perfectly free to come with you."

What lies was Summer feeding to her mother for her to say things like that?

And besides, a wannabe Bratz doll? I had no idea where she got that from when Summer was the wannabe Barbie—my cousin's words, not mine.

I became the living representation of the blinking white guy meme once those words came out of her mouth. I was honestly baffled at how childish she was acting.

Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

"First of all, I have no reason to do anything with Summer," Blake repeated. "Second of all, this wannabe Bratz doll you're talking about is my girlfriend, and she is the only one here that I have a reason to do things with, so if you'll excuse me, we'll get going."

It was obvious to me that although it was extremely heartwarming to have him stand up for me, his mom was definitely going to hear about it, and that was not going to work in our favor.

"I hope you know that Carrie is going to hear about this," Mrs. Rowland threatened as Blake took my hand and pulled me away.

Told you so.

"We should just leave," he sighed, walking with me.

"If that'll make you feel better," I agreed. "Come on, we can stay in the car for a bit so you can cool off before we go."

Not a word escaped his lips as we made our way back to his car, and I could tell that he was still thinking about what had transpired in the last ten minutes. It was definitely a rollercoaster of emotions.

We sat in silence for another minute.

I brought my legs up and hugged them, resting my cheek on my knees as I watched him deep in thought.

"You don't have to drive yet. We can just sit here for a bit," I assured him. It was obvious to me that he was already starting to blame himself for what happened.

His eyes met mine and they softened quickly. "Baby, I'm sorry."

My heart broke at his words. He had nothing to be sorry about. "It wasn't your fault, Finley."

"I should've left with you before Summer even brought us to her mom. You didn't deserve to hear those things said about you," he frowned.

"It wasn't like you had much of a choice, right?" I shrugged. "So stop feeling bad. It's okay."

"Even when she called you a wannabe Bratz doll?" he cringed.

A soft laugh escaped my lips. "I'm surprised you know what that is. Besides, I think Bratz dolls are cool, way better than Barbies. I don't think I look like them, especially not in the lips and disproportionately large head area, but I'll take it as a compliment."

He stared at me, surprised that I wasn't taking what Mrs. Rowland said to heart, but it was honestly a pretty lame insult. I'd heard lots of horrible things when people found out about Troy and I, and I definitely heard things too when I started dating Blake.

"You don't have to worry about me," I smiled. "I handle things like that just fine. You've seen me cry once before about things people say about me. This is not gonna be another."

He took my hand and laced our fingers together, planting a soft kiss on the back of it. "I love you, Flower."

My smile only grew wider at his words. "I love you, Fin."

"I'm sorry this date didn't go as planned, but I promise I'll make the next one better," he vowed.

"Hey, the day's not over yet, is it?" I tried to cheer him up. "I know the perfect place to make things a whole lot better."

"Where?" he furrowed his eyebrows together in confusion.

My eyes lit up. "Let me drive?"

~~~

My heart beat in anticipation as I sat in front of Blake. It was the first time I had let anyone come with me to the bakery at the mall. I liked to go there alone, but I knew my boyfriend needed something to make him smile.

He brought the donut up to his lips and took a bite, letting its flavor dance around in his mouth as he chewed.

"So?" I leaned forward, waiting for what he had to say about my favorite thing ever. "I know you're probably used to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin, which are both great, but this is different."

"Why have you never brought me here before?" he began. "This is genuinely one of the best donuts I've ever had, and you're telling me that you've never taken anyone here?"

There was a look on his face I couldn't exactly place. Was he... offended?

"If I told everybody about this place, it wouldn't be a secret spot anymore, would it?" I reasoned. "And like we both always say, it's better late than never, Fin."

"Fine, fine," he waved me off, taking another huge bite out of his donut as I started eating mine as well. "But I hope you know I'm disappointed that I've lived all my life without these donuts."

"At least it's only been eighteen and something years. Besides, I had to make sure you were a keeper first before I took you to my favorite place," I joked.

He rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair. "You were just trying to keep this place away from me as long as you possibly could."

"You've known that I like going here for the donuts since even before we dated," I pointed out. "I think it's your fault you haven't been here sooner, just saying."

"Well," he tried thinking of an excuse. He knew I had a point. "I wanted you to take me here yourself."

"Sure," I laughed. "You can thank yourself for needing a pick-me-up today because if not, I wouldn't have taken you here, and your lazy ass would have to come here alone."

An amused look appeared on his face. I could tell he was enjoying the banter.

"Whatever floats your floatie," he smirked at me.

I shook my head, a huge smile on my face. "I'm influencing you too much. And here I thought you were the only one influencing me."

"This relationship is fifty-fifty. We influence each other, my love."

It took me a bit to register what he just called me. I still couldn't believe that just a mere hour before, I confessed my love for him, and he said it back with all certainty.

I would guess that I looked like a fish at that moment because Blake looked like he was about to burst out in laughter at my face.

Could you blame me? How was I supposed to react to what he just said?

"Don't laugh," I narrowed my eyes at him. "You knew I would react like that, didn't you?"

He tried to cover up his laugh with a cough. "Flower, we've been spending so much time with each other the past few months. Do you honestly think I didn't expect that reaction?"

"So you tell me you love me then bully me?" I poked back jokingly.

"It's how I show my love," he grinned.

I raised an eyebrow. No it wasn't.

"Really now?"

"No, not really," he shook his head, dropping his lie. "I thought you'd just go with it."

"You don't get to humiliate me like that and expect me not to call out your BS," I remarked. "We call each other out here, love."

His eyebrows raised. "Ah, I see what you did there. That was good."

At that point, Blake and I were barely trying to hold in our laughter. It was almost impossible not to just burst out laughing.

I was sure anyone listening to our conversation wouldn't have thought much of it, but there was something about talking to Blake that just immediately put me in a good mood. It was clear to me that it was the same with him.

Trying to hide my laughter so people wouldn't stare at us like we were weirdos, I took a bite out of my donut. My eyes locked with Blake's right as I pulled it away from my mouth, and right then and there, I knew I was a goner.

My eyes shut as I tried with everything in me to keep myself from laughing in the mostly silent bakery, but it was no use. A little giggle from Blake was all it took for me to completely lose it.

I covered my mouth as I laughed, trying my best to muffle my chuckles. Blake stuffed his donut in his mouth when he heard me just so he wouldn't surprise the whole bakery with his sudden laughter. I laughed so hard I started crying a little bit.

Eventually, we both calmed down, and as I wiped the tears from my eyes, he stared at me, a small smile on his face.

We continued to chat, this time, making sure not to have a repeat of earlier. The topics kept rolling in, just like how they usually did when we spoke, and I even ordered an iced tea so it didn't seem like we were just taking a table and not even buying anything.

"Blake Finley Nixon."

The contented looks on our faces turned into ones of confusion as we heard a woman call out Blake's name from beside us. Our voices had died down, and we turned to see who called him.

"Mom?"

Fuck. Why was I always there when things weren't their best? Couldn't I just meet Carrie Nixon when everything was rainbows and butterflies?

Also, who knew that she went to my favorite bakery?

"Is this the girl that Adella was telling me about?" she eyed me, a stern look on her face. It was obvious that she didn't remember me.

"Mom, relax," Blake tried to keep her from blowing up. "Whatever Mrs. Rowland told you, it's not what you think."

There was a rage in her eyes that made me want to crawl into a hole and stay there forever. If it wasn't already obvious, she really scared me.

"Not what I think, Blake? It's obvious that it's exactly what I think. I tell you to stay out of a relationship, and yet you have a girlfriend. I tell you that if you ever have a girlfriend, it better be Summer Rowland, and now I see you here with this?"

So I was now demoted to a "this" from earlier's wannabe Bratz doll. Fun.

"And you," she turned to me. "I think I made it perfectly clear to you the first time we spoke that my son is not supposed to date. His priority is school and only school. Got it, Popsy?"

She did remember me. I didn't know if that was a good thing. Granted, she didn't get my name right, but when did she?

"I'm so sorry," I squeaked. I felt like a little girl being scolded for breaking a vase I didn't break, and I had nothing to do about it.

"It's not her fault, Mom," Blake stepped in. "I told her it was okay. Don't drag her into this. If there's someone to be mad at, it's me."

"Well, it's not okay, and I am mad at you," she announced. "I'm leaving. When I see you at home tonight, Blake, you two better be broken up. You live under my roof, so you follow my rules."

I guess the world really wanted to screw me over. And just when things were starting to look up.

♡♡♡

Author's Note

"Three words, eight letters. Say it and I'm yours." AAAHHHHH!! I swear, that line will never get old. If you get the reference, you're cool.

Anyway, the love birds finally admitted their love for each other! I thought I'd better put it in before I end the book (just 2 chapters left!) because you guys would hate me if I left you guys without them saying it.

Like I said, there's only two chapters left after this one, so I gave you a treat here and made it a little longer since it's almost finished.

To all of you who have supported the book so far, thank you so much! Hope you continue to vote, comment, share and even follow! See you guys next Saturday!

~ dani :p

P.S. I got a new puppy like two weeks ago and she bit me yesterday ;-; I had to get rabies shots this morning and they currently hurt like hell (the tetanus one mostly) so just a little reminder to make sure you get your dogs vaccinated. While you're at it, get your Covid vaccine too!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 6.2K 50
"You're the apple to my eye." He winked. I playfully rolled my eyes. I giggled at that. The fact that I've been stuffing apples in his mouth for quit...
72.6K 2.8K 33
Dear Olive, I hate you. I hate that you were born and that your human and have a face. I hate that you live next door to me and I hate that I can't...
4.2K 362 66
(completed) #eroticromance #teenromance ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This story contains sexuality, violence, strong language and other mature themes. ...
209K 5.8K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...