ALMOST UNFIXABLE.

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

"Sometimes, you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself, and... More

WELCOME!
ALMOST UNFIXABLE
CHARACTER AESTHETICS.
001 ‑ Hoodie Memories.
002 - Day Ones.
003 - The Jungle.
004 - Jidenna Leo Okojie
005 - Betrayal
006a ‑ Truth Part 1
006b - Truth Part 2
007 ‑ Out of Control.
008‑ No Control.
009 ‑ Broken Friendships and Daddy Issues.
010 ‑ I Don't Belong.
011 ‑ Triggers.
012 ‑ Her Attraction.
013a ‑ Therapy and Tutorials Part 1.
013b‑ Therapy and Tutorials Part 2
014 ‑ What doesn't Kill You...
015 ‑ ...Makes You Stronger.
016 ‑ Nothing Special.
017a ‑ The Paragon Part 1
017b ‑ The Paragon Part 2
017c - The Paragon Part 3
018 - Pettiness 1.0
019 - Bitch, Be Humble.
020 - Screw All Doubts.
021 - Pettiness 2.0.
022 - Lies and Deceit.
023 - Go To Hell.
024 - Therapy Session.
026 - Are We Friends?
027a - I've Got Your Back Part 1
027b - I've Got Your Back Part 2
028 - Miserable and Empty.
029 - Imperfections.
030a - On a Date Part 1
030b - On a Date Part 2
030c - On a Date Part 3.
031 - Something More.
032 - Shutter Speed and Small Talks.
033 - E Shock You?
034 - Temper Tantrums and True Friendships
035 - Attractions and Revelations
036 - More Revelations...
037 - ...and More Attractions.
038 - The Best Version.
039 - Beyond Chemistry.
040a - Family Dinner Part 1.
040b - Family Dinner Part 2
041a - Reliving The Past
041b - Revealing The Past
041c - Repressing The Past
042 - Ghost
043 - Machiavellian.
044 - No Capping.
045 - Secrets
046 - Everything and More.
047a - A Lesson on Closure Part 1.
047b - A Lesson on Closure Part 2
048a - Once Bitten, Twice Shy Part 1
048b - Once Bitten, Twice Shy Part 2
049 - A Best Friend's Role
050 - Team Silary
051 - I feel Sexy.
052a - Who is Faking Part 1
052b - Who is Faking Part 2
053 - Sleep Over Frenzy
054 - I'm Okay... Not
CHARACTER AESTHETICS 2.
055 - I Fucked Up.
056- The Awakening
057a - A Lesson On Forgiveness Part 1
057b - A Lesson On Forgiveness Part 2
058 - Want.
059 - Obsession
060 - Promises
061a - Her... Part 1
061b - Her... Part 2
062a - Take A Step Part 1
062b - Take A Step Part 2
063 - Heartbreak
064 - In Your Arms
065a - The Inevitable Part 1
065b - The Inevitable Part 2
066a - The Enemy of My Soul Part 1.
066b - The Enemy of My Soul Part 2.
066c - The Enemy of My Soul Part 3.
067 - The Night of Indulgence.
068 - The Forever Seal.
069 - It's Going to be a Great Year.
070 - Air of Confidence.
071 - The Breaking Point.
072 - Breakfast?
073 - "Study Sessions" and Awkward Family Introductions.
074 - Reassurance and Less Awkward Family Introductions.

025 - Make Other Friends.

1.6K 496 1.1K
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

(025 - Make Other Friends)

This book already has 27k views 🥺🔥. Heuww! Thank you so much! I really appreciate. On the way to 30k views. Leggo!

This chapter is going to be very interesting. It legit gave me so much joy while writing it, Especially Simi's POV. Actually, I've noticed that I enjoy writing the male POV than the female POV 🤣. Who else does?

Let's dive in😌.

𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐋𝐀
(Simisola André Jordan)

"For the love of everything holy, Gloria," I growled out for the umpteenth time, standing behind her with my hands akimbo. "Can you stop rummaging and scattering my wardrobe? I just arranged it." I pleaded with her.

But the girl in question acted like no one was in the room, speaking to her. She kept throwing out my clothes, scattering my neatly folded and hanging clothes, as she looked for only God knows what. She swung her hands behind her, unconsciously throwing a pair of trousers towards me. I caught it before it could land on my face.

This girl. I sighed, folding the trouser and laying it neatly on my bed before turning to face her again.

"What exactly are you looking for sef?" I had to ask. She paused, throwing me a look over her shoulder before she went back to her scavenging.

"Your hoodies," was her simple reply. I sighed, glaring at her back.

"Gloria, I only have five hoodies, just five and I'm wearing one right now." I gestured to the grey one I had on. She didn't pay me any heed. "You took one of them the last time you came and you still haven't returned it," I reminded her but she waved me off, still scavenging.

Taking matters into my own hands, I walked to her and pulled her away from my wardrobe, closing the door.

"Come on, Simi!" She whined, stomping her feet on the floor like a child. "You don't have to be so stingy with your things." She added, folding her hand over her chest and pouting. I placed my hand on my chest and let out a dramatic gasp.

"Now you are calling me stingy, hmm? No wahala. All I know is that you are not having any of my hoodies." I told her and she whined again. "If you want any hoodie, you can go and ask your boyfriend," I said, solely wanting to see her reaction.

She rolled her eyes, but I didn't miss the smile that was trying to make its way to her lips. It made my own lips quirk in a smirk.

"Kizito doesn't wear hoodies." She simply stated and I was surprised that she knew that tiny bit of information about Kizito.

"Girlfriend of the year," I hailed, clapping my hands slowly and she laughed. "You know your boyfriend's choice of cloth." I teased and she punched me. Or attempted to punch me because what she gave me felt like a massage, not a punch.

"He's not my boyfriend," She drawled the smile that was trying to make its way to her lips earlier now stretching over the corners of her lips into a full-blown grin. That wasn't all, Gloria suddenly looked red.

She's blushing! I realized, my eyes widening slightly. Gloria was blushing and it was obvious because of her complexion.

"Look at you blushing," I continued to tease and she threw her head back, laughing heartily.

She walked back to my bed and plopped down on it, with me doing the same, settling beside her. Gloria didn't say anything for a while, just kept smiling to herself. I could tell she was happy, very happy and I was proud of the fact that even though she had said she wasn't going to tell him anything, she changed her mind.

But then, I wonder why she did.

Nudging her with my elbow to look at me, I asked her. "You told me you'd keep your feelings a secret till graduation. What made you change your mind?" I asked. She sighed, then paused her lips.

"I don't know... instincts?" She didn't sound so sure, as she turned to glance at me. I looked on, urging her to continue because I was sure she had more to say. She exhaled again, focusing her attention ahead.

"When I got that dare, I couldn't bail. But at the same time, I couldn't imagine myself kissing anyone else but Kizito." She glanced at me again to see if understood and I nodded because I did. She smiled and continued.

"So when he walked in at that very moment, I knew it was time for him to know. As corny as it sounds, it felt like fate. He couldn't have just walked in at that same moment I was supposed to pick a guy to kiss. It didn't seem like a coincidence." She paused, taking a deep breath. I didn't say anything for a bit, and we plunged into a comfortable silence.

When we were driving back home this morning, she didn't really go into details of what had happened so I didn't push it, but I could see that she was excited. She had slept over at my place, immediately crashing as soon as we got home, so I couldn't pester her for the gist. Now that she was talking about it, her happiness was so obvious, no matter how much she tried to hide it.

This was the most love-stricken I've ever seen Gloria. She could be playful and protective with me, audacious and authoritative with the rest of the class. But when it came to love, or relationship, or romance in general, she has always been conservative. Even when she had not yet told Kizito about her feelings, she never made it obvious how she felt about him.

But the way she was speaking now, I finally understood how strongly she felt for him. How much she was... in love with Kizito Alade-Martins.

"So what happened after that?" I asked her after our brief moment of silence, causing her to face me. "Does he feel the same way?" I asked, even though I kinda already knew the answer to that question. Gloria chuckled, biting her lower lip.

"I wouldn't be this excited if he didn't feel the same way, Simi." She replied, her tone sounding so giddy and cute, it made me want to tease her.

"So that explains the whole ladies' room situation," I said, my eyebrows wiggling teasingly as she burst into laughter again, falling back against my already laid bed.

"You are not going to let that go, are you?" She asked me and I gave her a mock quizzical look.

"I caught you making out with Kizito in the ladies' room." I reminded her of what she was asking me to let go and she laughed. "His shirt was off and his fly was open. If Hilary and I had not walked in on you guys, you'd have probably started making babies. There is certainly no way I'm letting it go, Gloria." I said in one breath and she rolled her eyes comically.

"I finally have something I can use to embarrass the great Gloria Hadiza Esho," I smirked, getting up from the bed to pick my phone by the bedside table.

"You wouldn't dare tell anyone about it!" She warned, suddenly sitting upright and wagging her finger at me. I made an hehehe sound, contorting my expression to mimick an evil look. She chuckled, falling back to the bed. I picked my phone and walked to a corner of the room that I liked to call my mini-library.

It was somewhat a mini library, actually... or study corner. My room was relatively big, the second biggest room in this big house after my parents. The space where it was used to be a mini arcade when I was much younger. My elder sister would spend all her time here, playing all the games, beating my high scores.

When I got older and developed a love for reading, Mum helped transform it into a mini library and study, getting me five shelves, arranging them in a cubicle-like manner, and stuffed them all with books. She also added a two-seater and a glass center table in between the shelves, so that anytime I wanted to read, I wouldn't have to leave that area. I'll just lie on the couch and read.

This corner of the room is my escape. My own little Haven.

As I made to pick a book from one of the shelves, Gloria's phone made a sound. I watched as she jerked up with a start and jumped off the bed in haste to pick the phone from the bedside table. Chuckling, I looked back at the book I was now holding, returning it when I realized that I had read it before.

I picked another one

"Is that the boyfriend?" I asked Gloria, emphasizing on the boyfriend as a way to tease her. I glanced at her over my shoulder.

Her eyes met mine and she rolled her eyes at me before she completely laid belly down on my bed, swinging her legs back and forth as she typed away on her phone. Not to mention grinning from ear to ear at whoever she was talking to. With zero doubt, I knew who it was.

"He is not my boyfriend, Simisola," She finally answered me, focusing solely on her phone and nothing else. My mind in itself also drifted away to something else.

Or rather, someone else.

...Gee, thanks. That makes me feel so much better, Simisola...

Hilary.

Gloria had called me by my full name and it immediately triggered a memory from this morning... a memory of Hilary calling me that way. It was kinda confusing because that thought came out of nowhere. It was supposed to bother me but funny how the only thing I could think of was how completely different my name sounded on Hilary's lips.

How completely... unique it felt for her to call me by my full name.

Like in a daze, I picked up my phone from where I had dropped them on the center table, opened my WhatsApp, and went straight to her DM. My messages from earlier this morning were still there, unanswered. She had been online when I sent those messages but a few minutes after, she went offline. The read receipt of my phone was off so I couldn't even tell if she had read the messages or not.

Checking her last seen, I saw that she was online at the moment. Suddenly, my fingers began to itch. I wanted to send another message, just to be sure if...

I froze. As if someone just poured cold water on me and it suddenly dawned on me what I was doing.

Simi, what the hell are you doing?

I hissed inwardly, dropping the phone back on the table. I wasn't bothered that I had thought about her immediately Gloria said my full name. Wasn't bothered that all I could think of was how ethereal my full name sounded coming her...

But I was suddenly bothered that she had not replied to any of my messages? Since when?

"Are you fucking with me?" Gloria's sudden outburst jerked me out of my reverie and I turned to look at her. She was sitting upright, or rather, kneeling down on my bed, glaring at her phone like it was done something immensely terrible to her.

"What's up?" I asked her, walking away from the study and towards her. She stopped glaring at her phone and looked at me, shaking her head slowly.

"I suddenly wish I didn't stop Kizito from killing," the way she had emphasized the word killing like she was literally strangulating something. "that fool the first time. If this rumor is true, then Jidenna Okojie deserves to be beaten half to death!" She growled out, jumping down from her bed.

All my senses perked up in interest.

"What did he do this time?" I asked, though doubting that I'd like what I was about to hear. Gloria's reaction was enough to tell me how bad it was, and the chill running down my spine told me it had something to do with Hilary, again.

"I left the game earlier so I didn't even hear this," She started, scrolling through her phone. "But I can sense it in my guts that it is true." She said, looking up from her phone.

"What is true?" I asked.

"Jidenna hooked up with someone else before he and Hilary officially broke up." She answered and I froze, my eyes widening slightly at the revelation.

"What?" Was all I could mutter, was all I could think to say. Gloria got down from the bed and stood in front of me.

"Beauty freaking Idoma confirmed it during the game that Jidenna was her last hook up, and that it was a month ago." She explained further and I just looked on, digesting everything she was saying, word for word.

"He and Hilary were still very much official then. And if my calculations are correct, it's about the same time she lost her brother." She continued, only stopping to take a deep breath. "It's all over the group chat." She waved her phone, not saying anything more.

There was absolute silence for a bit, with me staring at Gloria and her staring back at me like she was waiting for me to say something, waiting for my reaction.

At first, I felt nothing. Absolutely Nothing. But then, things started to make sense as the memory of everything that had happened this morning began to flood my mind like a fifth wave tsunami. Every single one of them playing again and again on repeat in my head.

The memory of Hilary rushing into the restroom, crying. I couldn't forget how broken she looked... how hurt she was. She had broken down, crying out in so much pain and hurt that scared me to bits. Her loud cries were still echoing in my head. Her face, the hurt in her eyes ingrained in my mind.

In as much as I hate to admit it, I've been thinking of reasons that could have made her break down like that. I honestly didn't think in this direction at all. But now that I know this was the cause - that Jidenna Okojie was the cause - all I could feel was an overwhelming rush of rage, coursing through my veins.

"He cheated on her," I stated, trying to confirm one last time if I had heard everything Gloria said. And she confirmed by nodding slowly. I looked away from her finally, trying to focus on something else except my anger but it wasn't working.

I was so angry! Angrier than I have ever felt in a very long time. And that was saying a lot because I hardly ever get angry.

"Kizito will stop at nothing to have Jidenna's head when Monday comes." Gloria was speaking but I was hardly paying attention. "I'm going to try to pacify him and stop him before he does anything..." My head jerked back and my eyes settled on her as soon as I heard that.

"Don't stop him." I found myself saying, cutting Gloria off.

She stopped talking and looked at me incredulously, shocked that I had said that. I was also shocked, but I just couldn't stop the words that started flying out of my mouth from that very moment... and I didn't care because I meant every single one of them.

"Don't stop Kizito from killing that bastard, because If he doesn't do it, I will," I said... and I meant it.

"Simi!" Gloria screamed.

"Do you want to know why Hilary and I were together when we found you and Kizito?" I asked her. It was a rhetorical question and I didn't expect a reply so I continued anyway. "It's because I found her in the men's room, crying her eyes out and I can bet everything I have that it's because she found out about this," I revealed, watching as Gloria's eyes widened in surprise.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair in anger.

"God," She muttered. "I had no idea..."

"She was crying, Gloria!" I cut her off, my voice rising at every word I spoke, shocking myself at the intensity of my furiosity and rage. "She was in pain! She was hurt! All because of him. He was spreading rumors about her cheating on him, when all along he has been the cheat! What kind of human being does that!" I yelled, so loud that Gloria flinched slightly.

I stopped talking, my chest falling and rising as I was trying to catch my breath. Gloria didn't say anything, she just looked at me, a pained expression on her face and something else, something I couldn't decipher... or didn't have the luxury of headspace to decipher.

All I could think of was how I was carrying this matter on my head... and how it still didn't bother me one bit that I was. I've never cared about anything or anyone asides from my family and my best friend. My current action... reaction, made me feel different, so different.

I have always observed and looked away. Always minded my business. A classmate could set another classmate on fire and I wouldn't give a flying fuck. But seeing Hilary that way this morning, that... torn, moved me. It unlocked a part of me I didn't know existed. A part of me that just wanted to help her... see her come out of this phase.

"Jidenna has to pay for what he did," I said after what seemed like hours of silence. Gloria was still holding my gaze. "If you stop Kizito from doing it, then I'll pick it up. And I won't be sorry." I told her, promised her.

Gloria opened her mouth to speak but the knock on my door stopped her and had both of us looking at the door. It was the maid, aunt caroline that had come to inform us that brunch was ready and my mum was expecting us downstairs. I exhaled, went back to pick my phone from the bedside table, and walked towards the door, bypassing Gloria when she stood in the middle.

"Simi," her voice stopped me from opening the door. I turned around to look at her. "Do you care about Hilary?" She asked and I frowned slightly, not expecting the question.

Care about Hilary?

Do I care about Hilary? I asked myself. I don't think so. What I feel cannot be care. Maybe pity? It wasn't pity.

I wasn't sure what name to give this feeling, but I knew the right way to answer Gloria.

"I don't have to care before I do what needs to be done. You said it yourself, he needs to be beaten half to death."

"There you both are," Mum said as soon as she sighted us coming down the staircase, walking towards the large dining area. She beckoned for us to come down quickly, adjusting her flowery purple maxi gown.

Unlike every other morning, Saturday breakfast, or in this case, brunch was always a big family thing on the dining table, which was why mum and aunt Caroline, who always helped us during the weekend, were setting the table. This was practically Gloria's second home, so she was very familiar with this particular family tradition.

A loud bark alerted me and my lips stretched in a smile as our family's husky, Max, made his way to meet me at the foot of the stairs. I crouched down when he got to me, ruffling his fur and giving him a small peck in his head. He had not seen me throughout yesterday because of the Paragon and the party and it was clear he missed me with the way he was wagging his tail.

"What have you both been doing upstairs all these while?" She asked and I looked up to see that Gloria had now joined in helping to set the table, laying the plates out. I went back to petting Max.

"Mum, Simi wants to beat someone half to death on Monday," Gloria rapped out in one breath. My head shot up in a start, my eyes widening. Mum's expression contorted into that of shock as she turned to look at me.

I can't believe she's telling mum on me!

"Seriously?" I stood upright, glaring at Gloria, but all she did was shrug.

"You want to beat up someone in school, Simi?" Mum questioned, still looking shocked. I shot Gloria a look that said I was going to kill her - and I will - before looking at Mum.

"You really believe I'd hurt somebody, mum?" I asked, forming a faux look of hurt while placing a hand on my chest. "You know I don't like violence," I added and she peered at me as if she was trying to read me.

I honestly don't like violence. But Jidenna Okojie might just be an exception.

Gloria scoffed, "Who are you trying to deceive?" She looked at Mum, "Mummy, Simi actually promised to beat a guy half to death on Monday. He legit just told me a few minutes ago." She told her, pointing upstairs when she said a few minutes ago.

Mum looked back at me, folded her hand across her chest, and gave me a look that said I should spill. I rolled my eyes, knowing I couldn't lie to that face.

"Okay, fine!" I shot Gloria another glare when I saw the triumphant grin spreading across her face. "I said it," I said the truth. Mum gasped, looking at me incredulously.

"Simi!" She chided harshly.

"He deserves it!" I defended, threw my hands up in mock surrender before walking closer to the table. I looked at mum, "I'm not usually violent but when I am, you should know that it's for a good cause." I told her.

"And what exactly is this good cause?" She asked me, her hands still folded across her chest. I shrugged.

"He hurt my friend," I answered without missing a breath.

"Ah Ah!" Gloria suddenly shouted, attracting the attention of both me and mum. She had an even more triumphant look on her face.

"So you admit that Hilary is your friend and you care about her." She grinned. That was all it took for me to be dumbfounded. For mum, well, she was rather confused.

I stared back at the girl I call my best friend as if she had just crawled out of an ant hole. So, this was her plan all along. This was why she told my mum on me. She just wanted me to confirm that I cared about Hilary. What difference was it even make?

"What kind of weird-ass human being are you?" I had to ask, wanting to know what planet my best friend had come from. Because it was certainly not earth. She only grinned back, settling on one of the dining chairs.

"You guys totally lost me and I won't even ask what all of that meant," Mum spoke, giving up on understanding what Gloria and I were talking about. I turned to look at her.

"But," She turned in my direction and pointed at me. "You are not beating anyone up in school, Simi. I can't have you getting into trouble, please. Do you understand?"

I rolled my eyes but nodded. "Yes Ma," I answered.

"Good. Now, let's eat."

I took the seat beside Gloria's, making sure to push her head slightly with my fingers because of the stunt she pulled. I ignored the glare she shot at me and settled down, just as mum began to dish out the meal of white rice and stir fry with chicken.

After saying a word of prayer, we began to eat, making small talks and playful chatters on the table. Max was sitting on the floor beside me so I fed him pieces of my chicken. It's been long since there was this much chatter on the dining table. And it was courtesy of one person.

My Dad.

There won't be this much excitement if Dad was around. He'd probably talk to mum but he won't engage me and I won't engage him. There was nothing for us to talk about anyway... well, except it had to do with my academics, which obviously wasn't something fun to talk about.

Anytime he's on the table with us, I always felt tense and on edge. Sometimes, I'd take my food to my room, or the screening room to eat. Even Gloria avoided being around anytime he's at home because of the awkwardness. But Dad adored her and always asked after her, so out of respect, she'd show up.

It was clear he preferred seeing her face to seeing mine. Since Ifetoyosi, my elder sister wasn't around, Gloria was the next best thing to a daughter he could be proud of.

As if cue, the door to the main entrance of the house opened and the subject of my thoughts, My Dad, walked into the house. Immediately, I began to panic.

How come I didn't hear his car drive in?

"Sweetheart!" Mum literally leaped from her seat and ran to meet him. My eyes, and that of Gloria's, followed her and we watched as Dad enveloped her small frame in a bear hug, actually picking her from the ground.

"My Baby," His deep voice rang out, his face buried in the hallow of Mum's neck. She giggled, wrapping her hands around his neck, her legs still suspended in the air as Dad wasn't ready to drop her.

My Dad, Demilade Jordan, was an engineer and though he was the CEO of his own company, he still loved going to sites to supervise and do the dirty work. That simple fact told on his body type. He was a huge man, very tall and hefty. Standing close to my mum, he always looked like a giant.

Ifetoyosi and I took his height and I looked just like him. But I was still a Mama's boy. I mean, why wouldn't I be?

I let out a shaky breath, feeling my appetite slip away. Dad had not even looked in this direction and I was already feeling this way. I wasn't scared of him, but I wasn't comfortable around him either, knowing that one way or another, directly or indirectly, he'd remind me how much I was disappointing him.

Gloria must have sensed the change in my demeanor because she looked my way. But before she could speak, Dad's voice interrupted her.

"Is that Gloria I see?" He called out, and I noticed he and mum were no longer hugging. Gloria quickly stood up and I followed suit.

"Good afternoon, Dad," She greeted him, walking towards Dad.

"How are you?" He gave her a brief side hug as she curtsied, "It's been a while since you came here. How are your parents?" He asked her and she nodded fine. He kept speaking to her, asking her questions while Mum came back to the table and began to dish out his plate of food.

All this while, he didn't even acknowledge me or act like I was standing just a few feet away from him.

"Welcome Dad," I said. He stopped talking to Gloria abruptly and looked up, his eyes meeting mine.

I swear, my heart began to race like I was running a marathon at the intensity of his gaze on me. He looked at me, used his eyes to scan me from head to toe like he was just seeing me for the first time. I braced myself, and prayed within me that he wouldn't ignore me, or make any snaky comments.

"How are you, Simi?" He asked and I had to stop my eyes from widening in surprise.

Oh wow. I blinked. It's been a long while since he asked that question. His face didn't show any expression of emotion but that didn't matter at all.

"F-Fine sir." I stuttered out, averting my gaze from his intense ones.

"Come Come," That was mum, walking past me to go get Dad.

She had finished dishing out Dad's food and was now dragging him towards the table. His expressionless face was gone and now, he was pouting, whining about how he wasn't hungry. Mum began to scold him, telling him that he had been at work all day and needed to replenish his strength.

He didn't argue with her anymore after that. With Mum, Dad was an entirely different person. He loved her to bits, adored her, even worshipped her... and was sometimes scared of her. Despite my predicament, watching them like this made my heart melt.

"That went well," Gloria said as she came to stand beside me. I shook my head and scoffed.

"I wouldn't hold my breath," I answered, walking back to the table with her following behind.

The relationship between me and my Dad hasn't always been this... sore. Growing up, even though I was a Mama's boy, Dad and I were inseparable. I loved him. He was my hero. I wanted to be like him. But then, things started to go south when my academics wasn't forthcoming. At first, he was supportive of me, trying to help me in the most gentle way possible. But later he began to drift away.

I guess, I frustrated him too much.

We resumed brunch, the room less chatty than before. Only Mum and Dad were talking. Gloria wasn't speaking except Dad asked her any question. I was completely invisible and that was okay by me. I preferred being ignored to being the center of attention whenever Dad was around.

No matter what we talk about, he'd find a way to switch it up and make it about my academics. They shouldn't get me involved in their discussion. I'd rather remain invisible...

"Do you know Simi won the male category for their swimming competition yesterday?" Mum chipped, smiling from ear to ear in excitement as she looked at me, her eyes filled with adoration, while I fought the overwhelming urge to groan.

Spoke too soon.

"Did he now," Dad responded with sarcasm very much evident in his voice. I swallowed.

He dropped his cutleries and looked at me. I tried my best to avoid his eyes, but that wasn't cake work since his gaze was drilling holes to the side of my head. I tried to keep busy, stirring my food with the fork even though my appetite was long gone.

"He did really great!" Mum continued, not sensing the sarcasm in Dad's previous statement. I tried to send her a signal to stop talking but she didn't quite understand. She continued even.

"He collected a good medal and a trophy. Didn't you notice it in the case?" She asked, nodding at the large trophy case that sat on the wall of the living room.

That Trophy case was the one that contained all the medals, trophies, and award plaques Ifetoyosi and I have ever won. But the difference was, while Ifetoyosi's awards were academic-based, mine came from all swimming competitions I have ever participated in, making them completely invisible to Dad's eyes.

"I didn't notice it," Dad simply replied, pouring water from the jug into the glass cup and downing the content at a go, all the while his eyes were still trained on me. I gulped again, keeping my eyes glued to my plate of half-eaten white rice and stir fry.

"We might need to get a bigger case to replace that one. Simi's medals and trophies are starting to overflow," She giggled, passing me a look that said she was proud of me. I gave her a strained, tight-lipped smile back, knowing deep down that this would lead to nowhere good.

She shouldn't have brought me up.

There was silence after she made that last statement. I could feel the tension and awkwardness in the air. Even Gloria could too because I felt her hand on my thigh, giving me a reassuring squeeze. I could still feel Dad's eyes on me and my anxiety increased. The only oblivious one was my mum. She just kept eating.

I knew it was only a matter of time before he brings my academics up. I was counting down within me.

Three.

Two.

One.

"Simi,"

I said it.

"Sir?" I looked up, meeting his eyes, trying not to fidget under his hard gaze. Mum and Gloria and stopped eating to look at us. With the tone he used to call me, I guess Mum was beginning to sense where this was headed.

"When is your test starting?" He asked me. I took in a deep breath and exhaled before answering.

"The week after the next," I answered and he nodded, taking another gulp of his water. I waited for him. Waited for him to say what he wanted to say and get it over with.

"You remember our agreement, don't you? He asked, peering right at me with so much intimidation, I had to look away. Mum caught on immediately and frowned at Dad, clearly not pleased that he had brought it up.

"Demilade," She began, her voice chiding and warning.

"I remember sir," I answered anyway, still keeping my eyes down.

"Good." That was all he said but was enough to plunge me into a depth of anxiety.

All week, I have been able to push the agreement my Dad and I made to the deepest part of my mind. I certainly didn't want it distracting me while I was training for The Paragon. I completely forgot about it for the entire week, focusing on the one thing I loved after my mum. Swimming.

Now, Dad has succeeded in reminding me of the absurd task. Getting up to average in my first test. It was utterly impossible. I only had one week before the rest. It wasn't enough to get me up to average. The mere thought of giving up swimming sent my entire being into a frenzy.

I need to get out of here.

"Simi, where are you going?" It was when Mum asked that question that I realized that I was already on my feet, making to leave the dining table. Dad didn't even act like anything was going on. He had resumed eating.

"I have to pick up a refill of my migraine pills from Dr. Ejiro at ACTHC" I answered.

It wasn't completely a lie. My migraine pills had finished earlier this week and I have been procrastinating because of my busy schedule. I was thankful I didn't pick it up earlier as it has served as the best excuse to leave this place.

"So, you will not finish your food?" She asked again, her forehead creased in a slight frown. I looked back at my half-eaten plate of rice and stir fry.

"Mum, there is no time anymore. I even have to drop Gloria off at work for her afternoon shift." I shot Gloria a look and she quickly took the cue, standing up after stuffing her mouth with the rest of her chicken.

"Besides, you can feed my leftover food to Max," I glanced at the dog that was now chewing on the chicken bone Gloria had thrown at him before looking back at mum.

From the way Mum looked at me, I could tell that she knew I was only trying to get away from where my Dad was. So, she nodded and told me to drive carefully. I kissed her on her cheek, murmured goodbye to Dad, and made my way out of the house, with Gloria hot on my tail.

"Slow down," she whined at me when we got out of the house and to the compound. I hit the gate remote in my car, watching it open automatically.

"Keep up with me," I answered her monotonously, just to let her know that I wasn't in the mood. I had to go get my migraine drugs.

Knowing what's to come, I'd need them.

I could feel Gloria's eyes on me as I drove, but I kept my eyes on the road, swerving between cars to beat impending traffic. It might have just been a cover-up, but I still had to get her to her workplace in time for her shift, yet, I was the only one that seemed rather time conscious.

Gloria's parents were big-time restaurant owners in all of Lagos. They had about twenty-five different branches in Ikeja alone and thirty-seven others in different parts of Lagos. Gloria worked in one of those restaurants in Ikeja part-time.

Her parents weren't like other stereotypical rich parents that would just hand their kids monthly allowance. Her parents made her work for it. I've met them, and they weren't strict in any way. Most likely one of the most chilled people in the world, especially her Dad. But they were principled.

Gloria started working there when she was in JSS2 and started with waiting on tables at the restaurant. According to her, at first, she hated the idea of having to work for her money. But over time she grew to enjoy it very much. She was always eager to go there after school and on weekends.

To her, the idea of buying her own things, with money that she worked for was just liberating. She was the one that got herself an iPhone X, amongst other luxuries that she owned. The only thing her parents got for her was her car and they were still the ones sponsoring her education.

Gloria Hadiza Esho made herself in her own image. That was one of the many things I admired about her. So, if anyone said she's proud, or arrogant, or too haughty, I'd tell them she had a lot to be proud of. But then, she was neither of those things.

"Are we seriously not going to speak till we get to the restaurant?" The girl in question asked, finally giving up staring at me and decided to speak. I sighed, glanced at her for a bit before taking my eyes back to the road.

"I have to get you to work on time., I answered, glancing at her again. "You have already been late twice this week. You have one more strike and your parents will deduct from your salary." I reminded her. She gave me a look that said is that your excuse?

"Number one, we still have thirty minutes before it's time for my shift." She pointed to the digital clock on the dashboard "Number two, you are not driving with your mouth, Simi." I rolled my eyes at that last statement.

"Gloria, I'm not in the mood to talk about anything, especially my Dad," I told her, hoping she'd get the memo and just leave me alone.

"Who told you I wanted to talk about your Dad?" She asked and I glanced at her, my eyebrows raised in question. If she didn't want to talk about my Dad, then what, or who did she want to talk about?

"Let's talk about Hilary," She said like she had heard my unasked question. I exhaled.

I should have known.

"Are you serious right now?"

"Of course I'm serious," She answered, leaning back against her seat. "You said it yourself, she's your friend. So, why do you have a problem talking about her?"

"What I said to Mum was just a slip of tongue," I defended, keeping my eyes fixated on the road. "Hilary is not my friend," I said. I could feel Gloria staring holes into the side of my face.

"Yet, you care about her,"

"I don't care about her." I countered. I don't care about Hilary. Why would I?

"But you are willing to beat Jidenna up because of her, abi?" Gloria retorted, and I almost slammed the breaks.

Her rhetorical question caught me off guard. I didn't answer her, just kept driving. I knew the major reason I was going after Jidenna was because of Hilary. Yet, I keep denying the fact that I cared about her. Why would I go after Jidenna if I didn't care about Hilary? If I didn't consider her as a friend? I just wasn't ready to admit it to anyone... or myself.

Or maybe, I was a bit scared that though I consider her a friend, she might not consider me as one.

"What exactly are you scared of, Simi?" She asked after a few moments. I frowned, looking at her. Was I that easy to read? I doubt it.

"I'm not scared of anything," I answered and she rolled her eyes.

"Bullshit, Simi." She simply said. "You are lying." She added and now, it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Okay, maybe I am scared of letting someone else in." I caved, glancing at Gloria to find her watching me. "I'm not a social butterfly. I like my circle just the way it is, with you and I alone in it. I don't need any other friends. I'm not ready to make any other friends." I rapped out, carefully leaving out the real reason I was scared.

What if, even after the whole restroom experience, Monday comes and she acts like she doesn't know me? She might have even read my messages and decided not to reply.

Gloria didn't talk for a bit after I said all of that. In fact, we didn't talk till we got to the restaurant and I had parked in the lot. But when she didn't get down immediately, I knew she still had something to say.

"Giving the possibility of Kizito and I being an item," She started after a while and I looked at her. "I might not be around as often as I used to." She turned and met my eyes, just as I was averting my gaze.

Not gonna lie, that kinda hurt. But I nodded, telling her I understood.

"Even if I'm around, you need to make other friends, Simi." She continued and I looked back up. "And if there is anyone that you should be friends with, it's Hilary. She's simple, and honestly, if not for her friends, she isn't that much of a social butterfly.-

Besides, she'll be your tutor starting from next week and it would be best to form some sort of bond with her, to make things easier for you both." She stated matter-of-factly. I exhaled and nodded in understanding.

Gloria smiled and got down from the car, telling me that she'd call me later. I nodded, waved at her, and drove out of the parking lot and into the road, thinking about what she said, thinking about Hilary. With what Gloria said, I began to feel bad for thinking down on her.

Hilary wasn't like the rest. She was different. Agreeing to tutor me was enough to prove that. I shouldn't let my meager insecurities make me forget that.

I had one more stop, and that was Atlantic Cove Teaching Hospital Complex. It was just about twenty-minute drive from the restaurant so I got there in time and parked in the lot. I got down, locked the car, and made my way to the big white building.

"So you remembered us today, Simi." A voice called out as soon as I got in and I looked in the direction it came from. Smiling, I walked towards the counter, to the nurse that had called my attention.

"Nurse Kamsi," I drawled, leaning on the counter. "So you missed me like this?" I pouted playfully. The woman rolled her eyes but the smile on her lips remained.

"For your mind," She playfully dismissed me with a wave of her hand and I laughed. "Dr. Ejiro isn't around but your drugs are waiting for you with his secretary." She directed me. I thanked her and made my way to the elevator that will take me to my doctor's office.

I got there in time and met the secretary. As soon as she saw me, she smiled, bringing out a white branded nylon that no doubts had my drug in it. There was no need for chit-chat, so I just thanked her and made my way out of the pharmaceutical department.

I was already walking down the hallway to the elevator when I heard a ruckus behind me. And just as I was about to turn around to see what the commotion was all about, I heard a voice.

Her voice.

Or am I imagining things?

"I'm so sorry, ma'am. I should have been more careful." The voice said, and my ears perked up again. It's definitely her voice.

I completely turned around and saw a nurse and another person. A girl. She had to be the one. I didn't know how to identify her, just to be certain, because she wasn't looking in my direction, but I could bet sixty to forty at least that it was her. There has always been a familiar aura to her presence and that was what was radiating through the hallway.

The girl and the nurse were both bent down to the floor, packing pill bottles that had fallen off the trolly the nurse had been holding. I stood, watching her, wanting to be sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me because she found a way to stay on my mind all day. When the girl brushed the edge of her cornrows to the side and looked up to the nurse, I confirmed it.

She was the one.

Some of the pill bottles had rolled to my side so, I crouched to pick them, and started walking to where she and the nurse were, already standing on their feet. As I got close to them, she was still apologizing to the kind nurse that told her not to worry about it, oblivious to my presence.

It was the nurse that noticed me first when I got to them. I smiled and stretched the bottles out to the middle-aged woman, but my eyes were still fixed on her.

"Thank you," It was when the nurse spoke that she realized someone else was standing there. She looked in my direction and when her eyes met mine, they widened in surprise. I couldn't help the smirk that crept up the corners of my lips.

I'm just as shocked to see you here, as you are.

The nurse began to roll the trolley in front of her and walked away, leaving the both of us in the empty hallway. She still looked shocked to find me here.

This was too much of a coincidence.

I took a better look at her. I could tell she was feeling way better than this morning. Her face was even more relaxed and honestly, she looked more herseld than yesterday. Yesterday stroke this morning was all makeup, party dress and wigs. And though she looked stunning, I felt the way she was right now, was more her... more in her comfort zone.

I've never seen anyone look so good on cornrows. So beautiful.

"We really need to stop meeting like this," I found myself saying after a while of silence and staring at each other, the smirk still playing at the corners of my lips. Her shocked expression dissipated, replaced with a smile of her own. She shrugged.

"Well, at least this one is less embarrassing than other situations," She joked and I laughed. I actually laughed and she joined in. It was the second time I'd be laughing with her.

And It felt good.

"Hi, Simi," She muttered after our laughter subsided. I smiled, glancing down for a bit before looking back at her.

"Hi, Hilary."

𝐀/𝐍

The start of a new... and very beautiful friendship 🥺. It's doing my heart gbim gbim❤️.

I know you guys are going to start overthinking. The ship is not sailing yet, even though it's looking like Simi is giving crush tendencies. Yes, it feels like Simi has a crush on Hilary, especially with the fact that he's promising to beat Jidenna half to death on Monday, but that's not the case.

Simi is someone with a very tender heart. You can tell by the way he felt slightly insecure that Hilary might not consider him a friend. When he cares about someone, even in a platonic way, it will look like he's in love with that person. See how he carried the cheating matter on his head na🤣.

So imagine how intense things will get when he starts having feelings for Hilary 🌚.

Before we sign out for this week, I want to employ you guys to check out the book "Life of Jiji" by Artistwriter311. It is an amazing read and I can vouch for it. One of the best Teen Fictions I've read in a long while.

Pending the next update (I don't know when that will be), don't forget to VOTE! COMMENT! SHARE! I'll see you whenever ❤️.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.5K 21.1K 54
(Sequel to Eye of the Storm) "𝑭𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒎𝒐𝒊𝒍 𝒂𝒏...
178K 34.5K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
8K 1.4K 10
~ SEQUEL TO TOO MANY BROKEN THINGS ~ The beginning of the new school term is far from anticipated when a number of final year students are planning t...
84.9K 13.4K 52
" Idara it's not like that , let me explain . " He said begging her again but she had made up her mind. "Look everything and everyone is saying it's...