Avengers Oneshots

By gingerthestormwitch

A collection of various drabbles, oneshots, and mini series surrounding the world of the MCU. Some will be re... More

L O R E
willow.
champagne problems.
dress.

gold rush

454 8 4
By gingerthestormwitch

WARNINGS: fluff and angst and smut involving a classic Mustang

SUMMARY: Tony Stark is Iron Man. The Reader is a journalist who has caught Tony's eye, but she denies feeling the same, stating that dating someone as high-profile as Tony Stark would not end well. For now, she is content to live a life with him in her fantasies. Or is she?

A/N: Sections in italics are the Reader's daydreams.

Gleaming, twinkling

Eyes like sinking ships on waters

So inviting, I almost jump in

Stark Villa. Malibu. Autumn.

The salty sea breeze blew gently through the open floor to ceiling windows, pushing your bangs in front of your face as you tried to read one of your favorite novels. You attempted to blow them out of the way, but after numerous tries you remained unsuccessful. Slightly calloused fingers stained permanently with grease and oil gently tucked the troublesome fringe behind your ear. You tilted your head back with a soft smile, your eyes meeting your lover's mischievous umber. He smiled back, placing a kiss on your forehead before returning to the latest issue of Innovative Energy and Research. You snuggled further into him and the couch.

You enjoyed moments of quiet such as this. You prided yourself in the fact you managed to tear the infamous workaholic Tony Stark away from his lab for the afternoon. Well with the help of J.A.R.V.I.S. of course. Tony rued the day he gave you admin privileges.

Breaks from work to spend time with you had increased since you moved in. For the first time in years, Tony Stark appeared healthy and content to those inside his inner circle. He went to bed when you did most nights. He ate well, most of the time, always smiling when you sauntered down the stairs into the lab bearing food of all kinds if he worked late. In your presence, he could completely relax. And much to Rhodey and Happy's delight, his smiles became more frequent and genuine.

And the best part was you didn't have to force him to do these things...well...most of time. Tony still had days where he became too lost in his own thoughts to pay attention to anything outside the four walls of his lab, but you expected that would never fully go away. Most of the time, he just wanted to be where you were. He sighed in contentment, allowing his fingers to trace haphazard designs up and down your arm. The far-off waves crashing against the rocks and Tony's almost rhythmic turning of the engineering journal's pages soothed your soul. Slowly, your eyelids grew heavy. Your book fell face down against your chest as you drifted off.

Tony lightly chuckled. "I love you, kitten," he whispered.

But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush

I don't like anticipatin' my face in a red flush

I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch

Everybody wants you

Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you

Walk past, quick brush

I don't like slow motion, double vision in rose blush

I don't like that falling feels like flying 'til the bone crush

Everybody wants you
But I don't like a gold rush

ABC Studios. New York City. April 29, 2015.

"Y/N... Hey, Y/N... Y/N!"

You felt the thunk of an object bounce off your forehead, jolting you back to reality. Blinking blearily, you rubbed the space between your brows, noting the ink pen that now lay in your lap. "Huh?" you asked. Your eyes fell on your producer and best friend, Savannah.

The raven-haired woman rolled her eyes. Had she rolled them any harder they would have fallen out of her head. She huffed in frustration, "Did you hear anything I just said?"

"Yes?" Your statement came out more like a question.

Savannah crossed her arms and tapped her foot, raising one eyebrow higher than should be physically possible. She heaved a sharp sigh through her nose making her annoyance with you abundantly clear. You offered her a lazy apologetic smile. She shook her head, "I asked if your interview questions were ready to submit to Tony's publicist."

"Oh!" you said, scooting closer to your desk. "Yeah, lemme email them to you." You quickly attached the document to the email and sent it off. You pushed your chair back and turned to her once more. "Done."

A small smile peeked out from the corners of her painted red lips. She uncrossed her arms and perched on the edge of your desk. "So," she began. You closed your eyes with a small sigh, knowing full well what she was going to ask. "Are you excited to see Mr. Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist again?"

You scoffed audibly, "No. Absolutely not. Whatever gave you that idea?" You waved away her question and threw her pen back at her, missing her completely.

She stared at you knowingly, seeing straight through your façade. "This will be...what...the third time he's asked to be interviewed by you?" she baited.

You shrugged your shoulders and turned back to your computer nonchalantly, trying to make yourself look busy. "I haven't been keeping track."

Oh, but you had.

This would be the fifth time Iron Man asked for you since you first interviewed him over a year ago. All your journalist colleagues envied rapport you had built with the tech tycoon turned superhero.

Not that you'd let her know you were counting.

She smiled not believing your response in the slightest. "He asks about you a lot, you know. At least, that's what Steve says."

Savannah had been dating, as Tony once referred to him as, Mr. Stars and Gripes for about a year. When Tony found out you two were friends, he made it a point to extend you an invitation to all Avenger parties. However, each time, you declined, citing one lame excuse after another.

The truth was, although you were indeed very interested in Tony Stark, fear held you back. Tony's indiscretions and love affairs were public knowledge and, honestly at this point, the norm. To you, he heavy-handedly played up the playboy angle to mask his true nature. This made him even more alluring. But your fear of becoming no more than a notch in Tony Stark's belt kept you from accepting his advances.

That and the plethora of women as well as some men who practically threw themselves at his feet almost every day. Any time he came to the studio for an interview, people of all ages would line the streets just to catch a glimpse of him. Sometimes they would form lines around the block the night prior to the interview to ensure this. And, let's face it, you knew yourself. You were the jealous type, at least at the start of a relationship. You also weren't too keen on the idea of subjecting yourself to the level of scrutiny that came with dating a celebrity of any sort. You weren't like Savannah – gorgeous, confident, and took no one's bullshit. She could handle that sort of lifestyle and had been for almost a full year.

You tried your damnedest to sound aloof, honestly unable to help yourself. "Does he now?" you asked, not looking at her. If you looked her way, your resolve would crumble.

She laughed, "Scout's honor." She held up two fingers.

"Oh," you said noncommittally. Mentally freaking out on the inside. Why on Earth would Tony Stark ask about you? What made you so special?

Savannah's face fell at your lack of enthusiasm. "Don't you want to know what he asks about?" she asked.

You continued to stare at your computer. "I assuming something so crass or vulgar that delicate old man Stevie would blush fiercely if he ever had to repeat it."

Your producer rolled her eyes once more. "He obviously likes you, Y/N," she said exasperatedly. "Enough to actually want to get to know you."

Your heart fluttered at the thought, but you stamped down the flicker of hope before it could overtake you fully. Tony's life was fast-paced, unpredictable, and dangerous. You refused to become an Icarus and fly too close to the sun that was Anthony Edward Stark.

"You know me, Savvy. Dating a celebrity isn't really my style. No offense. I just need someone low-key." You finally looked back toward her with a forced smile. "He'll move on soon enough."

"Fine," Savannah huffed indignantly before standing to leave. "Make sure you visit lighting before you leave today so they can get their final calibrations before the interview tomorrow."

You gave her a mock salute as she strolled out of your office.

-------

ABC Studios. New York City. February 2014.

"And we're on in 5...4...3...2..." the cameraman pointed your way.

"Good evening, everyone. I'm Y/N L/N. Tonight's guest almost needs no introduction. A graduate at the top of his class at MIT at the tender age of 17. Former CEO of the infamous Stark Industries, once the United States' largest weapons contractor now the largest technological conglomerate in the world. But most Americans know him by his other possibly more famous moniker – Iron Man. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Tony Stark." You turned to face the charismatic brunet billionaire that sat next to you. He flashed his patented smirk at the camera, eyes sparkled with mischief behind his tinted glasses. He rested his ankle on one knee as he lounged back in the plush leather chair, not at all worried about wrinkling his immaculate bespoke Tom Ford three piece two-button. "Thank you for joining us this evening, Tony," you greeted.

"It's good to be here, Y/N," Tony said easily, "Thank you for having me."

"Always a pleasure," you said, settling yourself into your seat so you could get down to business. "Now, all that anyone can talk about for the past few weeks is S.H.I.E.L.D.'s data breach after the attack on their headquarters in Washington DC. Various documents and videos have been trending on social media, turning America upside down. And these are only the documents which have been decrypted so far with millions of pages remaining. There has been a lot of speculation as to whether the Avengers will become involved and if so in what way. How is the team handling all this new information that has come to light in recent weeks?"

"Well," Tony shifted in his seat leaning more towards you. "Of course, the Avengers are concerned how deeply embedded HYDRA was within the inner workings of this country and the world as a whole. A good example of the vastness of their influence is seen through the actions of the Winter Soldier. From what we've seen so far from the decrypted files, HYDRA has been the root cause of crisis around the world since their establishment in World War Two. Hopefully, with this new info-dump we will be able to track down those with nefarious intentions and bring them to justice before they can cause any more harm."

You nodded your head, "So that brings me to my next question, the world knows that The Avengers was a S.H.I.E.L.D. initiative. Is it safe to assume by your previous answer that The Avengers will remain active despite S.H.I.E.L.D.'s dissolution?"

Tony smiled, "Yes, that's correct. The Avengers will continue to protect the world from organizations such as HYDRA or extraterrestrial invaders such as the Chitauri."

"I'm certain you have put many people's minds at ease with that answer. So, what governmental entity will oversee the team now?"

"None," Tony stated. "With the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Avengers has now become a fully-independent private organization."

You raised an eyebrow, "An agency that operates on a global scale such as The Avengers must get expensive."

"Oh, ridiculously," Tony replied with a wave of his hand. "But as of this moment, some divisions within Stark Industries are being reformatted to better serve the Avengers' cause along with my own financial backing."

"That's very generous of you."

"Just trying to make the world a better place," Tony shrugged nonchalantly. "Can't put a price on peace." He lazily threw up a peace sign with both hands.

"Agreed," you replied, "Now your teammate, Captain Steve Rogers, was present at the attack on the Triskelion and was injured on one of the three Helicarriers that were destroyed. Could you give the world an update in regards to his recovery?"

"The Capsicle has made a full recovery from injuries sustained during the attack. And he is ready to take his arch nemesis head on." Tony pointed off to the side of the stage. "In fact, he's right over there by your rather beautiful producer." He gestured to the tall blond who shot his teammate an annoyed look. You spied Savannah standing next to the super-soldier holding her clipboard in front of her mouth to hide her laughter.

"Well, I'm sure America will be happy to hear that." You turned back to face Tony, "Going back to the data breach for a moment. With Agent Natasha Romanoff's involvement in dumping the files onto the internet for anyone to access, knowing that those files could contain sensitive information about yourself or any of your other teammates, have her actions shaken the trust you have built up with one another as a team?"

"Y/N!" Savannah's voice hissed over your earpiece, "That was not on the list of approved questions!"

You ignored her. You'd gone to school for investigative journalism and were tired of asking the same old safe questions. If anyone wouldn't be fazed being thrown a curveball, it would be Tony Stark. You'd undoubtedly get written up for this, but hopefully, the hard-hitting question would pay off in high ratings and elevate your status as a journalist.

"Never," Tony answered quickly and confidently, unfazed by the question. "I'm sure that fighting aliens and saving the world bonds people together in some way. It's going to take more than some spilled secrets to tear our motley crew apart."

You smiled, "That's great to hear. And what about you?"

Tony tilted his head to the side, puzzled, "What about me?"

"Y/N," Savannah hissed again, a warning, but you continued.

"The past year has been extremely eventful for you with the exposure of the Mandarin, the bombing of your own home, and ending your long-time relationship with Pepper Potts. Do you feel fully ready to take on the next big bad?"

"I swear to God, Y/N," Savannah threatened. But you knew she wouldn't dare cut to commercial. No reporter had been able to get Tony Stark to open up since he and Colonel Rhodes foiled the assassination attempt on the president. You had a gut feeling that you had built up enough rapport with the superhero that he might answer the question everyone was asking.

The billionaire stared at you for a moment, eyes narrowing as he studied you. To your credit, you held his gaze and didn't squirm under it. You'd interviewed more intimidating people before. Tony rested the side of his face in his palm as he scrutinized you for a few seconds more before showing his teeth in a full smile. "Absolutely," he said, "I'm working on some new tech, hiring new minds, and we just finished rebuilding and rebranding Stark Tower."

You breathed a light laugh of relief, switching gears to a more lighthearted subject, "A rebrand?"

Tony nodded, "The team needs a place to assemble. I figured where it all began would be the perfect place to do it."

"Very poetic."

"Also has access to the best shawarma joint in the city."

You nodded with a chuckle, "So, Tony, one final question before we go. What is next on the Avengers agenda?"

"Same as always," Tony shrugged, "take down the bad guys."

You could have sworn you heard Steve sigh in exasperation.

"Couldn't have said it better myself," you smiled, turning back to the camera. "There you have it, folks. Confirmation from Tony Stark himself that The Avengers will continue to defend Earth from all threats both foreign and domestic. Thanks for joining us this evening! Stay tuned for your local newscast at 9."

"And we're out," the director said, "Good job, everybody."

You removed your earpiece and handed it over to the sound technician. As you stood up to de-mic, you heard the unmistakable click-clack of Savannah's ridiculously tall high-heels barreling towards you.

"Mr. Stark, I am so sorry about that," she apologized, shooting a glare in your direction. You rolled your eyes. "There must have been something wrong with the teleprompter."

You scoffed audibly; you never used the teleprompter.

Tony flashed a million-watt smile and waved away her concern, "No worries, dear. Questions like that keep me on my toes." He removed his jacket making eye contact with you as the sound tech removed his microphone.

"Well, rest assured, we will run questions by your publicist beforehand anytime you come back for an interview." Savannah glanced over at Steve who smiled shyly, "And that includes your team as well."

"Ah, don't worry about it," Tony said as he walked over to the captain and patted his arm reassuringly. "The Star-Spangled Man always has a plan for when things go awry." He made to walk back to the green room, throwing his suit jacket over his shoulder.

Steve rolled his eyes, "Tony..." he chided.

"Speaking of plans," Tony said, turning around to face you and Savannah once more. "What are you two lovely ladies doing tomorrow night?"

"I'm sorry?" you asked with a laugh. He couldn't be serious.

"Depends," Savannah replied, giving you the side-eye. "Why do you ask?"

Tony sauntered back your way, "I'm hosting a small welcome home party for Captain America at Avengers Tower tomorrow evening to celebrate his return to his birthplace." Steve pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "I think we have room on the guest list for two beautifully intelligent women such as yourselves."

You and Savannah exchanged a look, eyebrows raised.

"I'm sure," Tony continued, "that Cap here," he smacked Steve's chest lightly with the back of his hand, "would love to see you again and get to know you better, Miss Savannah." He then leaned as if to divulge a secret, but the volume of his voice stayed the same. "And let's face it. This fossil hasn't had any action since the 40s." He pointed his thumb over his shoulder, gesturing to Steve.

"Christ, Tony!" Steve exclaimed, turning beet red. You and Savannah stifled a laugh.

"No shame in that, Ole Timer," Tony teased.

Steve turned to Savannah with a nervous laugh, "He's kidding...I'm 96. I'm not dead." The super-soldier's jaw dropped as he realized what he just said. "Not that I sleep around with random dames...women...I wouldn't do that with you..." Savannah raised one eyebrow wryly. You snorted a laugh, covering your mouth to stifle the offending noise. Tony flashed you an amused toothy smile at your reaction. Steve's eyes widened and he looked to the floor. Scratching the back of his neck, he fumbled through a few more words trying to claw out the hole he had dug.

You watched as Savannah just smiled at him. You knew that smile; she was utterly smitten. After a few more moments of watching Steve struggle to come up with the right words, she gently laid her hand on his forearm. Steve immediately stopped talking and looked at her surprised, his face still red with embarrassment. "I'd love to come," she said, not taking her eyes off him. You watched Steve's shoulders drop in relief. He looked at the floor once more before looking back up, flashing her a winning smile.

"Excellent!" Tony said, clapping his hands together once. He turned to you. "How 'bout you, Y/N?" he asked. "I'd love to pick your brain. You can ask me some more of those tantalizing off-the-cuff questions of yours. I'm sure you will make better company than the bozos I work with." His umber eyes smoldered, drawing you in.

You hesitated in giving an answer, despite your growing interest in the billionaire. Tony Stark was a womanizer. Plain and simple. It wasn't a secret. And you weren't the type of person who had one-night stands or flings, saving your energy for relationships with staying power. A relationship with Tony would disappear like magician's flash paper before you'd know it had even existed.

Your eyes cut quickly to Savannah who gave you a subtle nod of encouragement. You smiled contritely, "Thank you, Mr. Stark. I appreciate the invitation, but I'm afraid I have plans that night."

"Since when?" Savannah challenged, "You never have plans."

Part of you felt guilty for leaving Savannah to navigate one of Stark's ragers on her own, but you knew she would be fine in the capable hands of Steve Rogers. "I have a Skype date with my best friend from back home to watch the season finale of Criminal Minds that night," you lied easily, surprising yourself.

"And that ends at what? 10 PM?" Savannah asked, not buying it. "You can come after the show is over. I'm sure the party will still be going on." She turned to Tony for confirmation.

He nodded, "I usually don't arrive until then anyway."

She turned back to you, a look of triumph on her face. You shook your head. "Maybe next time," you placated.

Savannah rolled her eyes with a shake of her head, "You're such a hermit."

"Don't worry," Tony said, not taking his eye off you. "There will be plenty more opportunities."

You nodded, "Of course." Knowing full well you'd never attend them. You couldn't chance falling for a playboy such as Stark; you couldn't take the inevitable heartbreak.

What must it be like to grow up that beautiful?

With your hair falling into place like dominoes

I see me padding across your wooden floors

With my Eagles t-shirt hanging from the door

Avengers Tower. New York City. Winter.

Fat sparkling snowflakes fell thick and steady outside the floor-to-ceiling windows of the Avengers Tower penthouse. Wearing one of Tony's vintage concert tees, you cuddled underneath a cashmere blanket on a leather couch in front of the sleek fireplace. The snowfall had only increased over the past few hours, signaling the impending arrival of a blizzard. Tony and the rest of the Avengers had left on a mission a few days earlier. When you last spoke, he promised he would be back before the storm hit. You fiddled with the diamond pendant fashioned in the shape of his arc reactor as you stared out the window.

"J.A.R.V.I.S.?" you called out, keeping your gaze trained on the accumulating snow out on the balcony. It had taken a while for you to shake the habit of looking to the ceiling when speaking to the AI.

"Yes, Miss L/N?" the program responded.

"Any updates from the Quinjet?"

"Unfortunately, the approaching storm is throwing interference with the jet's communication ray."

You nodded and didn't say anything further. Noting your pause, J.A.R.V.I.S. continued, "I will make sure to notify you immediately if the jet makes contact."

"Thank you, J.A.R.V.I.S.," you replied, marveling at the program's level of emotional intelligence.

"You're welcome, Miss L/N."

The snow continued to fall, deadening the din of the city below. As the hours passed, staying cuddled up on the couch became impossible as the nervous energy built up under your skin. You began to pace in front of the windows overlooking the Quinjet's landing pad as the gray sky grew darker, day turning into night. Just before the last of the sun's light left the sky, you spotted it. The flashing lights of the Quinjet. Your breath caught in your throat as you flew to the elevator down to the launch bay.

Freezing air flooded the hangar. Stray snowflakes stung your face as the wind pushed flurries through the open bay doors. You hopped from one foot to the other as the Quinjet's hatch lowered. Natasha, Bruce, and Clint trudged down the ramp, looking haggard but uninjured. Thor strode down the ramp after them, happily swinging his hammer with a large smile plastered on his face. You knew Thor loved a good battle; combat left him feeling energized. You suspected he would most likely hit one of the nearby bars later with whoever he conned into accompanying him.

You flashed a half-hearted smile at the group, continuing to stare at the Quinjet's ramp, waiting to see the man with perfectly messy dark hair and mischievous eyes you had grown to love.

A laugh floated out of the Quinjet along with footsteps on the metal flooring. Then the light of the launch bay lit up those warm brown eyes you could get lost in. Tony smiled as he conversed with Steve, looking no worse for wear as the day he had left for the mission. A sigh of relief escaped your lips as you ran toward him. Hearing the slap of your bare feet against the concrete floor, he turned your way just in time to catch you as you jumped into his arms. His chest rumbled in a low chuckle. "Hey there, Kitten," he said, returning your embrace. "You miss me?

You nodded, nuzzling further into his neck. You felt him smile and you smiled too, happy to have your lover home.

Steve cleared his throat, excusing himself. "Take it easy, Tony. We'll debrief in the morning."

"Thanks, Cap," Tony said, rubbing your back in soothing circular motions. You stayed this way for a few moments, soaking up each other's presence and the comfort it brought.

"I missed you," you whispered. "I got worried when J.A.R.V.I.S. wasn't able to reach the jet."

"Yeah," Tony said, pulling back slightly. He lovingly pushed your hair out of your eyes to get a better look at you. "I'll have to work on boosting the signal." You nodded and leaned into his touch. "Sorry for worrying you," he apologized. "Forgive me?"

You smiled. "Oh, I guess," you teased.

He snorted a laugh and tickled your sides. You squeaked and struggled to escape his hold. But he held you fast against him and pressed his lips to yours in a firm kiss. Your arms twined around his neck as you pressed your body into his. When he eventually pulled away, he observed your appearance and smirked. "Is that my shirt?" he asked.

"It's soft." You flicked your gaze to the floor bashfully.

"It looks good on you."

"Thank you," you giggled.

"You know what it would look better on though?" he asked. You tilted your head in confusion. He waggled his eyebrows suggestively. "On the floor of my bedroom."

At dinner parties, I call you out on your contrarian shit

And the coastal town we wandered 'round had nеver seen a love as pure as it

And thеn it fades into the gray of my day-old tea

'Cause it could never be

Savannah's Apartment. New York City, NY. May 1, 2015.

"You're daydreaming again," Natasha said, offering you a martini glass filled with a dark pink liquid and a lemon twist.

With Savannah spending so much time at Avengers Tower visiting Steve, she had become close friends with the Black Widow. She had introduced her to you a few months into her and Steve's relationship and you hit it off right away. Plus, she made a mean cosmopolitan. Your threesome had a standing girls' night-in every week when Natasha wasn't on a mission.

"Sorry," you said with a shake of your head, taking the martini glass with a nod of thanks.

The redhead settled in next to you on the sofa while Savannah produced a bag of tortilla chips and hot spinach and artichoke dip and sat them on the coffee table. "Thinking about Tony again?" Natasha asked innocently, taking a sip of her cosmo.

You squirmed under her piercing gaze. "No!" you exclaimed all too hastily. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

She just laughed. "Relax, girl. You've just got that wistful pining look written all over your face."

"Admit, Y/N," Savannah said, tucking her legs underneath her as she sat down in a nearby armchair. "You like him."

You laughed, hoping you sounded dismissive and not nervous. "Oh, please, I do not."

"Then why are you blushing?" Natasha asked.

You scrunched up your nose. "I hate spies, did you know that?"

"You don't need to be a spy to see how hopelessly in love you are with the genius billionaire playboy philanthropist," Savannah said, popping a chip in her mouth.

"Well, maybe I was thinking about someone else," you offered lamely, digging a chip into the dip and shoving it in your mouth. "I absolutely do not like Tony in that way at all," you said with your mouth full.

"Why not?" Natasha asked. "He obviously likes you."

"That's what I keep telling her!" Savannah said exasperatedly.

"I highly doubt that," you scoffed.

"He asks about you all the time," Natasha said. "And he watches your show every night."

Involuntarily, your eyebrow lifted in surprise, but you quickly returned to a neutral expression and shrugged in indifference. "So?"

"So?" Savannah echoed.

"It doesn't mean he likes me, Savvy," you said.

"Oh, no, it does," Natasha said, after taking a big swig of her drink. "I have only seen him act like this with one person before, and that was Pepper."

Her words shocked you. Natasha, though a master assassin and spy who made her living on her ability to lie well, was always honest to a fault when it came to her friends. But while she may have believed it was true, it didn't mean it actually was. You shook your head, dismissing the hope building in your chest. "No, he just sees me as a challenge. I tell him no every time he asks me out."

"It may surprise you that a lot of women he asks out tell him no," Natasha said. "And he has never chased any one of them like he does you."

You took a large gulp of your drink. The alcohol burned your throat as you tried to think of something to say.

"Okay," Savannah said, leaning forward. "If you don't like him like you keep telling us, come to the party at the Tower tomorrow."

"But--"

"If you don't like him that way then being around him shouldn't be a problem," Natasha added. She pointed her finger in your direction. "No excuses."

"And don't say he didn't invite you," Savvy said. "I heard him invite you after his interview this afternoon."

You sighed heavily, "Fine." You polished off your cosmo. "But only if you two promise to stop badgering me about Tony from now on."

Natasha and Savannah exchanged a look before turning back to you. "Deal," they said simultaneously.

'Cause I don't like a gold rush, gold rush

I don't like anticipatin' my face in a red flush

I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch

Everybody wants you

Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you

Walk past, quick brush

I don't like slow motion, double vision in rose blush

I don't like that falling feels like flying 'til the bone crush

Everybody wants you

But I don't like a gold rush

Avengers Tower. New York City, NY. May 2, 2015.

As you entered the Avengers Tower lobby, you tugged your dress up your chest for the umpteenth time that evening.

"Nervous, Y/N?" Natasha asked, raising a wry brow as you approached the elevator.

"No," you scoffed, rolling your eyes. "But this dress is so tight and aggressively low-cut."

Natasha rolled her eyes back at you. "Oh, shut up. You look fantastic."

The two of you stepped on the elevator. "Says the woman who is wearing a fabulous vintage dress that doesn't threaten to expose her lady-bits to everyone and their mother."

"Oh please," she said, with a toss of her meticulously curled red hair. "Stop worrying. Tony's not going to be able to take his eyes off you."

"That's not the point of tonight, Nat," you said as the elevator slowed to a stop.

The Russian flashed you a sly smile as the doors opened and threaded her arm through yours. "Isn't it though?"

You sighed heavily already regretting agreeing to this deal with two of the most conniving people you knew. You and Natasha sauntered into the Tower's penthouse.

The penthouse's modern but elegant design reeked of Tony Stark, all glass and metal complete with a full bar that stretched along one wall. Music poured from the speakers but not a volume to where one would be unable to hear the person they were talking to. All different types of people filled the common area. You recognized a few celebrities, world-renowned scientists, diplomats and rather large group of elderly World War II veterans. Some people danced while others mingled, sipping drinks of all kinds. You spotted Savannah and Steve at a billiard table, playing with a few of the veterans and a rather handsome man with dark skin and a sparkling smile.

Savannah waved when she spotted you, looking as beautiful as ever in her classic emerald-green pencil dress that perfectly complimented Steve's navy button down. "Nat! Y/N!" she called, causing Steve and his friend to look up.

You smiled brightly as you and Nat approached the group. Inwardly, you cringed at the loudness of her voice not wanting to announce your presence so soon. You gave her a light hug in greeting.

"I was afraid you weren't going to show," she said.

"Oh no," you replied. "The babysitter disguised as a stylist you sent made sure of that." You gestured to Natasha who had shown up unexpectedly at your apartment little black dress in hand to make sure you wouldn't back out at the last second. Savannah laughed as she hugged Nat.

Finishing their turns, Steve and his friend passed their pool cues to two veterans and made their way toward your threesome. Steve smiled and greeted you with a kiss on the cheek. "It's good to see you, Y/N," he said.

"You too, Steve," you said smiling. Steve never failed to put others at ease, making them feel welcome. You were convinced it was one of his gifts that the super-serum enhanced. He turned to his friend, "Y/N L/N, this is my friend, Sam Wilson."

Sam flashed you a charming toothy smile, "How you doing?" He extended his hand for you to shake.

"It's nice to meet you, Sam," you replied, shaking his hand.

"Never thought I'd get to meet you in person," he said. "Savannah talks about you all the time."

You breathed a laugh, "Unfortunately, I stay pretty busy. A journalist never sleeps when there is a story to be uncovered."

Sam laughed, "Well, I'm glad you could make it tonight." He gestured to the bar, "You want a drink?"

You nodded, "Absolutely."

Sam smiled and offered you his arm which you took and let him lead you to the massive bar. "So where are you from, Y/N?" he asked.

"Right here. Full-blooded New Yorker," you replied. "What about you?"

"Delacroix, Louisiana," he answered, leaning against the bar.

"A southern boy?"

"Born and raised."

"So how did you wind up here?"

"Joined the Air Force out of high school to pay for college. Wound up in a pilot pararescue program during my tours in Afghanistan. I've been living in DC for the past few years working for the VA."

"Oh, wait," you said, finally realizing who Sam was. "You're the Falcon. You helped Steve and Nat during the HYDRA Uprising."

Sam smiled and looked down sheepishly, "Guilty."

You laughed and ordered a French 75 with cognac when the bartender made his way down to you. Sam ordered a bourbon on the rocks.

"What about you?" Sam asked, sipping his drink. "Ever left the Big Apple?"

You chuckled, "I mean New York does have everything." You sipped your cocktail, loving its bubbly tartness. "No, I actually went to Boston University for college. That's how I met Savannah actually."

"Really?"

"Mhmm. Biology 101."

A familiar laugh drew your attention further down the bar. Then you spotted him. Tony stood with Thor, Colonel Rhodes and a woman you recognized as Maria Hill. As if he felt your gaze upon him, Tony's dark eyes met yours. Quickly, you flicked your eyes to the floor, but Sam had already followed your gaze to the foursome.

"You met the other Avengers yet?" he asked.

"I've met Tony on a few occasions for interviews," you replied, bringing your attention back to him.

"Come on," Sam said, taking your hand, "I'll introduce you."

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly--"

"It's cool." Sam chuckled as he half-dragged you across the room. "Hey y'all," he said to the group as he approached.

"Son of Wil," Thor said with a large smile, throwing his arms out wide in greeting. "Join us. Rhodey was just regaling us the most hilarious War Machine story."

Tony and Maria snickered. Rhodey just sighed, "Everywhere else that story kills." 

Sam chuckled, "Everyone, this is Y/N L/N." As you stepped up beside Sam, you could feel Tony's eyes on you. "Y/N, you know Tony, but this is Colonel James Rhodes, Ms. Maria Hill and the resident God of Thunder, Thor."

You gave a small wave to everyone, avoiding Tony's gaze. Maria and Rhodey nodded in your direction.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Y/N," Thor said, taking your hand and brushing a gentle kiss across your knuckles. "Lady Savannah and Lady Natasha have told us much about you."

You felt the heat rise to your cheeks. "Only the good things, I hope," you replied as he gently released your hand.

The dazzling blond smiled warmly, "Only the best."

"Oh, Sam, you should've known better than to introduce Y/N to Thor," Natasha teased lightly as she approached your group. "He'll steal her away to Asgard if you're not careful." Color flooded Sam's cheeks. Natasha laughed, "Steve was looking for you."

"Okay," Sam said, clearing his throat. He turned to you. "Excuse me, Y/N. Duty calls."

You dissuaded him with a wave of your hand. "No worries. We can grab another drink later." You offered him a smile.

He smiled back. "Sure." He turned to find Steve.

Natasha turned to Thor, "And some of Steve's old war buddies want to meet you."

Thor finished his pint of beer in one gulp and sat the glass down on the bar with such force you were surprised it didn't shatter. "Lead the way, Lady Natasha."

Natasha threaded her arm through his and shot Maria and Rhodey a look which could only be described as "beat it" before leading Thor through the crowd. She threw you a not-so-subtle wink over her shoulder before ascending the stairs to the second floor.

Maria coughed rather lamely and patted her chest hyperbolically. "Oh, my goodness!" Rhodey said, placing his arm on her shoulder concernedly. "You want a lozenge?"

Maria nodded and they quickly made their swift exit, disappearing into the crowd of people. As you watched them go, you caught Savannah's gaze. She smiled and saluted you with her glass. Your eyes narrowed. "I'm gonna kill you," you mouthed. She urged you back to Tony with a wave of her hand.

With a deep breath, you turned back toward Tony, finally meeting his gaze. You had a feeling his hadn't left you since you made eye contact with him at the bar. Seems the dress Natasha made you wear was doing its job.

"Didn't expect to be seeing you again so soon, Y/N" Tony said, not taking his eyes off you as he sipped his champagne. "Twice in 24 hours? I'm a lucky man."

"Well, I finally had some free time, so I figured I would take you up on that open invitation," you replied.

"I'm glad you could make it." Tony smiled softly. A smile that made your stomach do flips. "You look beautiful by the way. That dress suits you."

You ducked your head to hide the heat in your cheeks, trying to ignore your heart pounding in your chest. You were on his turf now; he had the advantage, the high ground. "Thank you," you replied, taking another hasty sip of your drink only to find that it was empty.

"Another drink?" he asked with a smile.

"Please."

Tony offered you his arm. You stared at it for a moment before hesitantly taking it. There was nothing wrong with physical contact between two friends you reminded yourself. You had taken Sam's arm when he led you to the bar and you had only just met him.

The two of you walked to the bar in an easy intimate silence. He held up two fingers to the bartender as you approached, and two glasses of champagne appeared almost instantly. Tony picked up both and offered one to you. You nodded to him in gratitude before sipping the dry sparkling liquid.

"So, I see you have made friends with our very own Louisiana hero," Tony said innocently but with a tone that questions your romantic intentions with the former airman.

"Oh yeah," you said nonchalantly. "Sam's great. Southern gentlemen have a certain charm."

Tony shrugged, "Eh, personally I can deal without the whole passive aggressive 'bless your heart's'. But Sam's a good guy."

You nodded in agreement, sipping your champagne. You had a feeling you were going to need something stronger before the night was over.

You turned to the view outside the giant wall of tempered glass windows. "This place has a helluva view," you commented, changing the subject. You took a few steps toward the floor-to-ceiling windows to put some distance between the two of you.

"You like it?" he asked, joining you but stood a few feet away. "Curated by yours truly. Best part is the view will never change unless I want it to."

Turning to look at him, you cocked an eyebrow. "How so?"

"Air rights."

"Air rights? I didn't think those were an actual thing."

"Oh, they are a very real thing. A good money maker too."

You hummed in acknowledgment and continued to sip your champagne. "How does that work exactly?"

Tony smiled and stepped behind you. His chest brushed your back. He smelled like coffee, high-end cologne, and a tinge of engine grease; it was intoxicating. "It's basically the empty space above buildings." He pointed over your shoulder to the top of the Chrysler Building and then up at the night sky. "Depending on the zoning and the square footage of the building, there is the potential for underdeveloped space if the building isn't built as high as it could be. I buy the air rights, and no one can build any higher unless I sell or lease it to them."

"Ah, makes sense," you said with a nod. "And sounds expensive."

"Oh, ridiculously so," Tony said, looking down at you with his million-dollar smile. "But this view is iconic, and I'd like to keep it that way."

"I can't imagine having enough money to buy air." You looked to the floor and shook your head with a chuckle. "Your world is crazy."

"I'd like to show you more of it," Tony said softly, turning you around to face him. Gently, he took your hand in his, rubbing his thumb across your knuckles.

"Tony, I-"

Your breathing hitched as he closed the distance between the two of you.

"If you'd let me," he said. His warm brown eyes found yours, hopeful and sincere.

Every fiber of your being screamed for you to agree, to give him a chance. Maybe he did really want to get to know you. Maybe he was interested in settling down, to be in it for the long haul.

But could you deal with the scrutiny, the unpredictability, the uncertainty?

You stared into his eyes, swallowing hard.

No, no you couldn't.

"Tony, I told you, I can't," you said, dropping his gaze. You heard Tony sigh heavily as he let go of your hand, stepping back from you.

The absence of his presence was jarring; you felt your throat close with unshed tears. Why? You chose this. How could protecting yourself from heartbreak cause heartbreak? "Excuse me," you said thickly. You placed your glass on a nearby table and made your way toward the exit, not bothering to tell Savannah or Natasha goodbye.

What must it be like to grow up that beautiful?

With your hair falling into place like dominoes

My mind turns your life into folklore

I can't dare to dream about you anymore

Your Hotel Room. Malibu. Spring.

"Look, Y/N, I know you said not to call you about the boss." Happy's desperate voice emanated from your phone's speaker.

"And I meant it, Happy," you said, setting down the phone on the bathroom counter. Carefully, you began to remove the rollers from your hair. You had a big group interview with an A-list celebrity cast in a few hours and you needed to look your best. "Tony's made it abundantly clear how he sees our relationship. I can't keep giving and giving and giving. Whatever problem he has, Mr. 'Speaking Modestly, I'm The Best Mechanical Engineer in the Country' can fix it."

"Please, Y/N," Happy begged. "He has locked himself in the workshop. He won't speak to me. To Steve. Or to Rhodey."

You forced a deep sigh through your nose as you removed the last roller from the top of your head. "And what makes you think he will talk to me?"

"You know how his anxiety flairs up," Happy said. "You were always the best one at calming him down."

"He's not gonna wanna see me, Happy," you said, bracing your hands against the marble counter.

"He's on the verge of a Howard Hughes type of isolation. Next thing you know he will be asking for glass bottles of milk and peeing in the empty ones."

"He's probably already revoked my admin privileges."

"He hasn't," Happy replied. "I checked on that this morning."

You swallowed hard and hung your head. Loving Tony Stark was difficult sometimes. With his unpredictable lifestyle, he had a tendency to push away people he cared about in order to protect them and to protect himself.

"I don't what else to do, Y/N," Happy said sadly.

You heaved an exasperated sigh. "Okay, I'll come by after my interview taping. But if he doesn't talk to me then there isn't much I can do."

"Thank you, Y/N. I appreciate it."

-------

Stark Villa. Malibu. Spring.

You pushed open the Villa's front door and stepped into cool marble foyer.

"Welcome home, Ms. L/N," J.A.R.V.I.S.'s smooth voice called out as you closed the door behind you.

"Hey, J," you greeted. "How is he?" You removed your jacket and slipped it into the coat closet.

"Mr. Stark's been awake for 36 hours and counting. He has been through 7 carafes of coffee, 2 boxes of protein bars, and 3 bags of frozen blueberries."

You chuffed, slightly impressed that he had eaten at all. "Does he know I'm here?"

"No, ma'am."

You nodded as you removed your heels, wanting to keep your presence hidden until you went down to the workshop. The element of surprise would guarantee that he wouldn't lock you out before you had the chance to talk to him. "What's he doing right now?"

"He's working on a new Iron Man suit."

"Of, course...Just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved," you muttered with a sigh. "So, he should be sufficiently occupied until I can get through the door?"

"The odds are in your favor."

You began to descend the stairs to the basement garage. "Wish me luck, J."

"Good luck, ma'am."

AC/DC's album Back in Black blasted through the shop's speakers. Tony's back faced the door as he poured over various floating holographic schematics. He moved his hands animatedly as he talked to his hydraulic arm robots Dum-E and U. You entered your code and placed your thumb on the biometric scanner causing the magnetic lock to release. The robots looked your way with mechanical coos as you entered the lab. They had taken a shine to you ever since you saved them from being donated to a local high school's STEM robotics program.

At their distraction, Tony turned toward you. You locked eyes for a moment. His umber eyes burned into yours – so many emotions swirled in them. He looked like hell. His hair mussed. His beard had lengthened. His clothes wrinkled and littered with stains of various materials. He stared at you with an intensity you had not seen from him in a while. A breath caught in your throat.

"Kill the music, would ya, J?" Tony asked, breaking eye contact with you.

"Certainly, sir," J.A.R.V.I.S. replied, cutting off the chorus of "Shoot to Thrill".

Tony dismissed all the schematics with a wave of his hand, deliberately avoiding your gaze with you as you approached. "What are you doing here, Y/N?" he asked. Ice and distance laced his tone.

You scooped up the small wastebasket and began gathering up protein bar wrappers and disposable coffee cups into it. "Happy called me," you answered. "He, Steve and Rhodey are worried about you."

He remained silent, tinkering with one of his suit's repulsors.

"I'm worried about you."

He scoffed audibly, absentmindedly wiping the engine grease from his hands with a shop towel. "You? Worried about me?"

"Yes, Tony."

He shook his head. "I thought you 'couldn't deal with the bullshit anymore'?"

You slammed wastebasket onto the worktable and whirled around on him. "I never said anything like that, and you know it!"

"You didn't have to," Tony said, posturing.

"Don't put words in my mouth!"

Tony waggled his eyebrows darkly. "Oh, I can think of much better things to put in your mouth."

"God!" you exasperated, throwing your hands in the air. "You are impossible."

"I've been called worse."

You rubbed your brow, annoyed. "Can you have a serious conversation for once in your life, please?"

Tony shrugged. "I can."

"Great," you nodded. "Thank you."

He smirked, "But...I'd rather not."

You rolled your eyes, not knowing what you expected. "You're deflecting as per usual."

"An astute observation there, Miss Journalism Degree."

"You have really perfected the art of escapism, haven't you?" you asked rhetorically, turning your back to him to gather trash from another worktable.

You felt him come up behind you, placing his palms flat against the table's smooth surface, effectively caging you in. "If I remember correctly, you particularly enjoy that about me," he whispered lowly against the shell of your ear.

You shivered as his full lips traveled from your ear down your neck, peppering kisses along the way. His scent surrounded you, weaving its spell. You'd be lying to yourself if you said you hadn't missed him these past few days. But avoiding the conversation you needed to have wouldn't do anyone any good. He pressed you further against the table, pushing his warm chest flush against your back, his presence overwhelming your senses.

His hips rutted into your backside. "C'mon, kitten, I'm wound up tighter than torsion spring."

Societal norms reminded you that you'd hate yourself in the morning.

"Sounds like a 'you' problem," you quipped, shoving away from him. "Nothing your hand can't fix later."

"Kitten's got the claws out today," Tony muttered as you moved among the tables gathering trash.

You ignored him. "You know you can't keep locking yourself down here, Tony. It's not healthy."

"Last time I checked you weren't my mother."

"No, I'm not." You sat the bin aside and moved to shut down the various machinery Tony left running. Your simmering frustration threatened to boil over. "But I'm your fiancée. And I love you. Hence I care about you."

"I'd hardly see how leaving counts as caring..."

"I'm drowning, Tony!" you cried, facing him once more – pointing your finger at him. "I'm so busy worrying about you and your well-being that I am neglecting my own."

"Oh! I'm sorry that my problems are smothering you!" he shouted.

"I didn't mean it like that!"

"Yes, you did!"

"Fine...I needed to breathe."

"And I can't breathe without you here!" Tony fired back.

Your eyes locked with his in an intense stare. You hadn't realized that in your screaming match the pair of you had moved to where you were almost nose to nose. Deep breaths were taken by each of you before you collided together.

You carded your fingers through his hair, pulling slightly, just enough for him to moan into your mouth as your tongues began that familiar passionate dance.

Toxicity be damned.

Your lips locked with his as he hoisted you up, wrapping your legs around his waist. He carried you over to the closet flat surface not cluttered with papers and machine parts, which just happened to be the hood of his 1967 Shelby Cobra.

You made quick work removing his shirt and he yours. You shuddered as your chest pressed against his. The arc reactor was cool to the touch but hummed lightly, sending a subtle buzzing sensation throughout your body.

Setting you down on the hood without a care for scratches to the custom paint job, you fumbled with his belt buckle as he kissed his way down your chest, relieving you of your bra in the process. Your back arched at the sensations. You gasped, reveling in the hungry ministrations of his mouth and tongue around your pebbled nipples. When your exposed back made contact with the car's hood, you suddenly remembered where you were.

"Stop recording, J," you called out breathlessly. 

"Right away, ma'am," the AI replied.

Tony looked up at you, his mouth dangerously close to the apex of your thighs. He pouted in disappointment. "Can't blame a guy for trying," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

You rolled your eyes in exasperation but then pleasure as he hiked up your skirt up, bunching the fabric around your waist. Hungrily, he pushed your panties aside and dove into your folds like a man starved. You cried out as his mouth worshiped your center, knowing all of the right buttons to push. He held you down firmly as every stroke of his tongue stoked the fire growing in your belly ever higher. One might think that, given his personality, Tony Stark would be a taker in the bedroom; you certainly had thought so once. Oh, how wrong you were.

"Tony," you keened as you felt yourself approach the edge of oblivion, tugging his hair. He moved from your center, causing you to whimper slightly as you sat up with him. You pawed at his dark jeans, pushing them off his waist just enough to free his erection. He captured your lips with his once more and entered you with one swift thrust. You squeaked at the sudden intrusion, but your body adjusted to him quickly. Securing your legs around his waist, he began to pound into you, unceasing and utterly merciless in his assault. Wrapping your arms around his neck, you kissed his chest, lips, and shoulders. Every thrust released the tension in his body, transferring it to the coil of pleasure low in your core.

After a few moments, his hand dipped in between your bodies to play with the bundle of nerves hidden in your folds. With a gasp, you pressed your forehead into his shoulder. With every harsh circle of his thumb, you felt your inner walls clench around him, drawing a deep moan from him. You smiled smugly into his chest as he continued to pound into you, his thrusts becoming erratic.

He brushed his lips against the hairline of your temple. "Let go, kitten," he breathed. "You know you want to. I'm right there with ya."

He pressed his thumb further against your clit as he drove his hips into yours, driving his cock every deeper into you. After a few thrusts, the coil in your belly snapped and a wave of euphoria washed over you. In your blissed out state, you watched as your release spurred his own. Burying his head in your neck, he came with a strangled groan.

You held each other for a few moments as you both came down from the highs of your orgasms. For most people, sex wasn't the healthiest way to settle an argument. But for you and Tony, physical intimacy granted clarity.

Tony kissed your forehead. "I'm sorry I lashed out at you," he whispered.

You kissed his jaw. "I'm sorry I left. I won't do that to you again." You pulled back to catch his eye. "I promise."

"I promise not to shut you out anymore," he replied.

You smiled, kissing him soundly before embracing him once more.

"Whaddya say we take this party to the bedroom?" Tony asked. You squeaked as he scooped you up and walked toward the elevator. "Shut it down, J," he called over his shoulder.

"Very good, sir," the AI replied.

At dinner parties I won't call you out on your contrarian shit

And the coastal town we never found will never see a love as pure as it

'Cause it fades into the gray of my day-old tea

'Cause it will never be

Avengers Compound. Upstate New York. Thanksgiving Day 2015.

"Wanda, can you grab the cranberry sauce?" you called out to the newest member of the Avengers.

"Sure," the petite brunette replied. Pulsing red energy surrounded the white shallow dish, lifting it into the air and to the table effortlessly.

You scrunched your nose with a laugh. "Show off."

Wanda beamed at you. She had really come out of her shell since the incident in Sokovia last spring. Her cheeks flushed a slight crimson as Vision phased through the wall into the Compound's dining room.

"Captain and Mrs. Rogers are on their way down for dinner," he announced in his smooth polite voice. It was hard to believe he was a product of J.A.R.V.I.S. Even harder to believe that Savannah and Steve were married. After the whole Ultron incident, Steve decided he didn't want to wait anymore. They had been married a few months back, Tony was noticeably absent from the nuptials much to your chagrin. But he felt he needed to keep a low profile, allowing the blame for creating Ultron to fall squarely on his shoulders.

"Of course," you muttered teasingly. "They all make up excuses to get out of helping but when it comes to eating..."

"Hey, now," Sam called from the door. His arms filled with bags of groceries. "I helped! I just went to the store to grab more booze."

"Of course, I didn't mean you, Sam," you replied, taking a bag from him. "Especially since you shared your mother's super-secret sweet potato pie recipe with me."

Sam nodded once in approval as he emptied the bags. "Damn right."

As Vision and Wanda laid out the last of the dishes and glassware, Savannah and Steve entered the kitchen arm-in-arm. "Perfect timing," you cooed sarcastically as you helped Sam open various bottles of white and red wine. "Ya couldn't keep in your pants until after dessert?" you teased. Steve blushed a fierce crimson while Savannah just laughed as he handed her a glass of wine. He was lucky Natasha was having Thanksgiving dinner at Clint's, otherwise the teasing would have been much much worse.

Three knocks sounded from the door as your group sat down to eat. "Got room for more?" Rhodey called. A chorus of hellos sounded from the table as your group stood to greet your surprise guest.

"Sure!" you replied, embracing the colonel. "Lemme grab a plate for you."

"Make that two," another familiar voice called out.

You turned in the voice's direction, mouth slightly open in surprise. A tall man with perfectly tousled locks and a sharp mischievous gaze, eyed you intently from a pair of brown-tinted glasses.

"Tony," you breathed, a smile pulling at the corners of your lips.

"Yeah, I hope you don't mind," Rhodey said, gesturing to Tony. "I found him on the side of the road on my way in, looking like a beat-up lost puppy."

"Of course they don't mind," Tony replied, entering the room with his usual easy swagger. "I mean technically I own the place so..."

Steve strode up to the billionaire with his hand outstretched. "It's good to see you, Tony," he said with a genuine smile as Tony shook his hand firmly.

"Good to see you too, Cap," he replied with a polite nod and a ghost of smile. "My god, Savannah, you get hotter every time I see you." He leaned in a brushed a kiss across both her cheeks.

"And you get grayer every time I see you," she replied with a teasing smirk.

Tony splayed his hand across his chest dramatically. "Ouch, dear," he said with a laugh. "How was that honeymoon to Paris that I paid for?"

"Amazing," Savannah said, wrapping her arm around Steve's waist. "Almost made up for you ghosting our wedding."

"It was perfect, Tony," Steve replied, looking down at Savannah in adoration. "Thank you."

Tony waved them away dismissively. "It's no problem. How many times did you have drag this old man outta the Louvre?"

"Three times," Savannah snorted.

"And how many pictures did I take of you in Versailles Hall of Mirrors until you deemed one of them to be the perfect photo?" Steve teased, tickling his wife sides.

"Fair enough," she consented, leaning into her husband.

Seeing Savannah and Steve so happy and in love made your heart soar. Savannah deserved the world; she had hit a run of bad guys there for a while. None of them made her as happy or feel as loved as Steve did. It made you happy to see your friend finally settled and in love. But it also made you sad. You mourned a loss of celebrating your singledom with your best friend every day. And as much as you hated to admit it, you were envious at how completely incandescently happy they were.

What was even harder to swallow, was that you were given the chance to have what they have, to feel how they felt, and you had ran away.

"Need any help?"

Tony's voice broke you from your reverie. You shook your head, pulling your consciousness from the depths of your mind. Dressed in one of his no doubt many bespoke designer suits stood the man who had offered you a chance at love, not three feet in front of you. You cleared your throat, embarrassed; Tony just smirked. You nodded in the direction of the butler's pantry. "Uh, yeah, grab some water and wine glass, if you would for me, please."

Tony nodded. "And how are you, Y/N?" he asked, carefully bringing down the stemware that hung above the wet bar.

You took a deep breath as you grabbed the appropriate plates and utensils down from the cabinets. "I'm doing well," you replied. "Fury hired Savannah and me on as the Avengers' official communications liaisons."

Tony nodded in affirmation, setting the glasses on the counter for Vision to take to the table. "I heard about that. How are you liking it?"

"It's different," you replied, handing the dishes to Wanda. Her eyes flashed crimson and a gentle invisible prodding to your temples let you know she read your mind. She smirked and walked away with a wink. Catching the attention of Vision, she slyly led him back toward the table, effectively leaving you and Tony alone. "But it's a challenge," you continued, flustered by Wanda's scheming. Sometimes, she was worse than Natasha. "And that's something I didn't know I needed." You absentmindedly wiped off the counter with a dish towel as Tony leaned his hip against it, closing the distance between the two of you.

"So, you live at the Compound now?" Tony asked, feigning innocent curiosity.

You raised a dubious eyebrow but answered him anyway. "Yeah, it's too long of a commute from the city for me and well, Savvy married one of your fearless leaders."

Tony chuckled, removing his sunglasses and tucked them into his jacket pocket. "So, I'll be seeing you around when I stop by then?" His tone came off more like a statement than a question.

You shrugged, trying your best to appear noncommittal as the pair of you danced around the elephant in the room. "I suppose you'll be seeing a lot of me, depending on how often you visit of course," you offered, testing the waters.

"I suppose that means I will be here a lot," Tony replied. A beat. "Maybe we can grab dinner? I'll be back around the holidays. I know a killer new Italian place on Long Island that I think you would love."

A smile crept across your lips, you nodded softly. "Yeah, yeah, we can do that," you replied, your chest filling with happiness and gratitude at this second chance.

"Yeah?" Tony echoed, trying not to look too excited. But he was betrayed by the beaming smile he flashed you.

"I'd love to," you said, placing your hand on his.

"Hey," Savannah called, eyeing the pair of you with a knowing smile. "The food's getting cold. Let's eat."

Still smiling, Tony offered you his arm to escort you to the table which you happily accepted.

Gleaming, twinkling

Eyes like sinking ships on waters

So inviting, I almost jump in

-------

Author's Notes

This was a long time coming and for that I apologize. I just wanted to make sure I got the personality of Tony down and didn't make him too out of character.

Honestly, I was not planning for them to knock boots on the hood of the car but I'm not mad about it.

Up next is "'tis the damn season" with Sam Wilson. I'm excited for this one since it takes place in the state where I grew up.

As always, comment, leave kudos, and share with your friends if you are loving these one shots.

Thanks for reading!

Ginger

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 2.2K 32
β€’ 𝐀 π‚πŽπ‹π‹π„π‚π“πˆπŽπ πŽπ… π‚π‡π‘πˆπ’ 𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐒 πŽππ„ π’π‡πŽπ“π’/πˆπŒπ€π†πˆππ„π’ - β₯π–Όπ—π—‹π—‚π—Œ π–Ύπ—π–Ίπ—‡π—Œ 𝘹 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽𝖾𝗋 β₯π–Όπ—π—‹π—‚π—Œ 𝖾𝗏𝖺𝗇...
89.5K 1.8K 28
BOOK 1 OF 3 (Y/n) (L/n) is a not so normal fourteen year old girl with powers. She was kidnapped when she was five, experimented on, but she doesn't...
323K 8.4K 76
Bucky x OC Storyline: hate to love Angst, angst, and more angst. I love drama. Fluffy moments because Bucky is a sweetheart and deserves the worl...
6.5K 139 8
A short story with rather long chapters in which you joined the Avengers and caught the attention of a certain someone. Since I wanted to write a wh...