Warrior's Heart (Book 1 of Th...

By Minahepsen

Hated by her clan. Hunted by No-Landers. Desired by Kings. Leyla is a Warrior. Strong. Fast. Unwavering. Y... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Warrior's Mind

Chapter 58

12.7K 806 98
By Minahepsen

The moment Leyla stepped into the Great Hall, she knew there was something amiss. Filled with warm early morning light, the chamber should have been inviting. Instead, the cold room engulfed the five figures that stood at the dias with a strange heaviness. The Warrior King and his daughter stood side by side in their usual finery, the princess looking pleased with herself. Alec, who stood on the other side of her, seemed riveted by something on the floor while Raphael gave Leyla an encouraging smile. The most vividly emotional of the group, however, was the Green King who had turned bright pink at the sight of her.

"Lady Alessa!" The Warrior King called as she walked towards them, "I cannot believe we did not know ere now that you are engaged to the Prorex!"

His mood seemed positive. Too positive. It was obvious just from the Green King's presence that whatever he was told was a lie. Had Alec managed to convince the Warrior King that everything was a misunderstanding? Or was it Raphael who was scheming things again?

"Yes, Lady Alessa," the Princess Mira cooed. Normally a late riser, she looked admirably awake for such an early hour. "Why didn't you tell us?"

Leyla was saved from trying to formulate a response when Raphael stepped towards her, took her hand and smiled at the others. "You wouldn't believe it, but we Light people can be a little secretive at times." She felt his grip tighten for a moment in a gesture of encouragement while the Warrior King laughed.

"Indeed, indeed." The King looked to his daughter, then at Alec who had yet to make eye contact with Leyla. Was he purposefully avoiding looking at her? And why did she feel so weary?

"Well, I am just glad that all of you are here today." The Warrior King went on. Then he turned calculating eyes on the other King in the room, his tone losing some of its lilt. "The Green King, the Prorex of the Land of Light and his Queen-to-be, there couldn't be a better moment to have this wedding."

Wedding?

Raphael squeezed her hand in a reminder to control her face expression, but the Warrior Princess caught her look.

"Ah, Lady Alessa looks surprised and no wonder! You were not present at the beginning of our conversation." She spoke in the sickly sweet voice she often used in front of gatherings. "Since it will be nearly impossible to get such exalted company from across the Four Kingdoms together again, Alec - I mean General Alec and I have decided not to delay our wedding. We will get married today, in front of all of you."

A heavy weight settled on her chest as she turned to Alec. He was finally looking at her now, his light blue eyes full of apology. Why would he look at her like that? True, he had said he would get out of his engagement, true he had said that he loved her, but she hadn't believed it. She hadn't believed him. Not really.

Leyla tore her eyes away from Alec's and stiffened her spine. This entire time, she thought she was being careful, smart even, but the pain in her heart was making it hard to breath. Stupid. She was so stupid.

"Ah, there they are." The King said as two servants approached carrying a small table laden with two golden bowls and a piece of engraved dark blue material. "Put it down quickly, then ring the bell and notify all royals and officers to gather at the Hall door." The servants rushed to do his bidding, surprised that the King would ask for a gathering before most had made their way to breakfast.

"Let us begin, shall we?" The King turned his smile on his daughter.

They were getting married right now? Leyla watched numbly as the couple got on their knees and held hands, left hand to right and right hand to left, making the figure symbolising eternity. The Warrior King wrapped the dark blue material over their joined hands, then picked up one of the golden bowls and addressed the witnesses.

"You may not know this, but in a Warrior wedding, the groom's mother draws a circle beneath his left ear. It is the symbol of the moon in our crest, and the sign of eternal commitment. Unfortunately, General Alec's parents both died during the last battle with the Greenlands when he was still a child." He looked to the Green King with a smile, "Your predecessor was much less intelligent than you and had misguided notions."

The Green King reddened once more, but managed a nod.

"As I was saying," the Warrior King continued. "Normally, it would fall to the next closest female relation to participate in the ceremony, but I ask that the next Queen of Light honour us."

Leyla froze under the King's smile. She blinked at the bowl he was holding out to her, only remembering to breath when Raphael put a hand on her shoulder.

"Lady Alessa's drawing skills are a little-"

"It would be my pleasure," Leyla cut Raphael's excuse short and she stepped forward to take the bowl. A thin little brush lay inside, its head dipped in the dark blue ink of the Wood Fruit juice. The pigment would never come off, which was fitting. Separation was not an option for Warrior couples.

The King took his own bowl and approached his daughter, gesturing for Leyla to come closer. She stepped beside Alec who looked straight ahead at his soon to be wife.

"Make your oath," The Warrior King commanded, picking up his brush. Leyla followed suit, willing her fingers not to shake as she moved Alec's hair aside. The image of Alec's hands holding her face as he lowered his mouth to hers filled her mind.

"I am a Warrior." The couple began chanting together. "My word is my bond. My honour is my shield..."

Leyla put the brush to Alec's skin, fighting back the anguish that tore at her chest like daggers. This was her punishment for being a fool. She deserved this pain and had to remember it well.

"I commit myself to you. Only you. Forever you..."

She drew carefully, focusing only on the circle she needed to make, ignoring Alec's scent, his heat, his body which she had clung to only two nights ago.

"I am a Warrior and as I breath, I am yours."

Leyla lifted the brush. The dark circle stared back at her. It was done. Any hope that this was not happening was gone and so was her pain; it had been replaced by a wall of ice. She placed the bowl on the table, then moved back to stand beside Raphael who was watching her intently.

The Warrior King removed the cloth from the couple's hands. "The ceremony is now complete. Rise and greet us as husband and wife."

Raphael took her hand as Alec and the Princess rose, placed their fists over their hearts and bowed.

"Congratulations," Raphael smiled at the newly weds. "We are embarrassed that we came unprepared. I will have a gift sent as soon as my fiancé and I get back to the Land of Light."

"There is no need," Alec replied. Leyla could feel his gaze on her, but she kept hers fixed on the Warrior King.

"Ah, I insist." Raphael smiled. "A token of good will given to the soon-to-be King of the Warriors is a must."

The Warrior King clapped his hands in admiration, "Prorex, you have sussed out my intentions!"

Intentions? Leyla looked to Raphael for clarification, but he just smiled.

"The future Leader of Light is not to be underestimated," the King looked impressed, then he called to the servants that stood beside the main doors. "Let them enter!"

The room filled with curious royals and officers as Raphael led her off the dias.

"Are you alright?" he spoke softly as more and more bodies surrounded them.

Was that sympathy in his voice? She didn't need it. She felt nothing.

"How did the Green King end up as a wedding guest rather than a prisoner?" Leyla asked, looking at the man in question. The short King stood at the edge of the dias, his beady eyes watching the Warriors with obvious contempt. Did the Warrior King really believe he would let matters rest after tonight? Or perhaps he trusted that the Green King would realise he was powerless against the Warriors, whether he hated them or not.

"The Warrior King was ready to kill him but I convinced him to offer the Greenlands more soldiers in reciprocation for the Green King's kind visit." Raphael said, letting loose a laugh when he saw the incredulity on her face. "Think it through and you'll understand."

Leyla crossed her arms over her chest. Sending the Green King back with his tail between his legs made more sense than imprisoning him and giving his successor a reason to rebel. But to offer more soldiers? Sending more soldiers to protect the Greenlanders from No Landers seemed like a sacrifice. And yet those Warriors were loyal to the Warrior King so if the Green King tried anything again, they could just as easily turn on those they were sent to protect.

"You are imprisoning him within his own land."

"Smart girl." Raphael reached out for her cheek. Leyla caught his wrist without thinking. Seeing the surprise on his face, she let go immediately, hoping no one had noticed her lapse.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I got distracted by a stray hair." The Prorex smiled, then turned back towards the stage. "It was my miscalculation, your defences must be on alert. To be honest, I didn't realise how much you cared for the General." He looked over his shoulder at her, his smile not reaching his eyes. "I can't say I like it."

It was impossible to hide anything from Raphael. Leyla tucked the hair behind her ear and reached for his hand. "I promised I would not embarrass you while we remain engaged. If I made anything obvious...I'm sorry."

The sound of the hall doors closing was a signal for the gathering to quiet down. Raphael looked down at their joined hands with an expression she couldn't place. Was he angry? He had every right to be if she had let her emotions show. The Warrior King cleared his throat, drawing every eye in the room.

"Today is a very special day. General Alec of the House of Steel and my daughter have been married!"

The gasps that rushed across the room, quieted in an instant when the King raised his hand.

"I have gathered you all to make yet another announcement. Now that we have a crown prince, I am abdicating the throne in his favour. Within one lunar cycle all of my power as King, shall transfer to Prince Alec of the House of Steele: the new Warrior King!"

Leyla sucked in a sharp breath of surprise as a cry of joy coursed among the attendants: "Long live King Alec! Long live King Alec!" So this was the intention Raphael had guessed.

Alec raised his hand in salute, his smile stiff as the cheers continued. Princess Mira put her arm through his, basking in his popularity. The royals, the officers, everyone in the Kingdom loved Alec. Brave, honest, talented and good looking, he was everyone's ideal. How had Leyla ever thought they could be together?

As the Warrior King raised his hand for silence, Leyla felt a tinge of bitter amusement at her own folly.

"An oath of fealty!"

The gathering responded to their King's command by dropping down to one knee. Raphael squeezed her hand so she followed his example and remained standing, only tipping her head in respect.

"Hail King Alec, the Warrior King." The congregation chanted.

Alec stepped forward, surveying his people. Then he responded: "The land will burn red! The new moon will rise! And the World will be in a Warrior's palm."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.9K 742 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...
303K 30.8K 59
Fearing for Will's life, Alex crosses the Rim to save him from the Rhean monarchy, but the dark truths awaiting her will make her question everything...
174 2 40
The Crown Princess of Forewood Kingdom, Victoria, was said to be perfect in all the things that she did. Which was an exaggerated lie, of course. She...
344K 26.8K 59
Leaving everything behind, Leyla walked into a land rife with vicious beasts and murderous tribes. Being a No Lander would not be easy...