A Promise- a LOTR Fanfiction...

By svrshayy

A PROMISE- A LOTR FANFICTION (LEGOLAS) ❤︎ ✓ 2015 **half edited** A half elf, half human girl named Vivienne e... More

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Rivendell
Chapter 3: The Council of Elrond
Chapter 4: Memories and Heartbreak
Chapter 5: The Ring Goes South
Chapter 6: The Pass of Caradhras
Chapter 7: A Journey in the Dark
Chapter 8: We Cannot Get Out
Chapter 9: The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm
Chapter 10: Lothlórien
Chapter 11: The Great River
Chapter 12: The Breaking of the Fellowship
Chapter 13: The Riders of Rohan
Chapter 14: The White Rider
Chapter 15: Rohan
Chapter 16: Departure
Chapter 17: Helm's Deep
Chapter 18: Battle of Hornburg- Part One
Chapter 19: Battle of Hornburg- Part Two
Chapter 20: The King's Daughter
Chapter 21: Isengard
Chapter 22: The Palantír
Chapter 23: The Beacons of Minas Tirith
Chapter 25: The Living Dead
Chapter 26: The Black Ships
Chapter 27: Battle of Pelennor Fields
Chapter 28: One Last Stand
Chapter 29: The End
Chapter 30: Epilogue

Chapter 24: A Mountain Pass

1.5K 58 4
By svrshayy

"Muster the Rohirrim." Théoden calls, and my face breaks out into a relieved grin. A bell is rung outside. Théoden turns to Éomer and they walk out of Meduseld, talking. Legolas, Gimli and I follow him a little ways behind, on our way to the stables.

"Assemble the army at Dunharrow, as many men as can be found. You have two days." The king instructs. We walk quickly down towards the stables and I separate from my friends into another hall, to where Numen is kept. We will meet outside.

I quickly tack Numen and start leading him outside, not really paying attention to what's going on around me. I'm too lost in thought to notice.

"Vivienne-!" Éowyn cries as I walk straight into her, Numen stopping behind me and pawing at the ground impatiently. Éowyn's saddle blankets land on the floor in between us and I rush to pick them up.

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" I cry, handing her the equipment. She laughs, nodding.

"I was just thinking..." I trail off, and she tilts her head curiously. I look at her and laugh. "You're my cousin!"

"No, I'm your mothers cousin. I'm your second cousin." She clarifies, smiling.

"What?" I scrunch up my nose in confusion, shaking my head slightly. "Who came up with that? That's so confusing!" I laugh. She chuckles and walks away to tack her horse, and I continue to lead Numen to where Legolas and Gimli sit atop Arod.

"Horsemen, humph! I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy!" Gimli grumbles rather loudly, and I grin. Legolas tilts his head.

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on their own lands." Legolas responds softly, and I nod in agreement. Gimli huffs at him.

"Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfill them all! To Lord and Land!" Éomer shouts, and we start to ride.

I half heartedly nudge Numen into a gallop, my mind still remembering the service for my mother. Even though I knew her for such a little amount of time, she was still my mother.

**flashback**

It was silent- the only sound heard was the occasional sniff and scuffle of feet. I stood in between Théoden and Legolas, fiddling uncomfortably with the sleeves of my black dress. I had nothing against dresses- they were pretty and made me feel more elf-like, but I hadn't worn them in a long time, so this particular dress felt tight and revealing.

Théoden's quiet sniff distracts me from my thoughts, and I pity him for a few moments. His two children have died in a matter of days. My mother's body is brought past, her dirty blonde hair braided neatly and her sword in her loose grip. I walk behind the king slowly, with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn, two where she would be buried. My emotions were mixed- I didn't know how to feel. I could be sad because my mother was dead, which was logical, or I could be happy. She caused me so much grief, and left me alone with no parents. Instead of choosing, I came silently to a stop in front of her tomb as it sealed, the people of Rohan sadly watching. Eleanor was well known, as she was the daughter of the king, and she would be missed.

**reality**

"Grimbold, how many?" Théoden asks. We trot around our encampment, watching the army of Rohan. Aragorn rides beside me, Gimli and Legolas behind us. The king and his guard in front of us.

"I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord." Grimbold answers, acknowledged with a brisk nod. Aragorn and I exchange a weary look- that may not be enough. "We have three hundred more from Fenmarch."

"Where are the riders from Snowbourn?" Théoden asks anxiously. Grimbold hesitates.

"None have come, my Lord."

Théoden sighs and grumbles a little bit as we dismount. Théoden and Aragorn lead their horses over to a cliff where they talk, and Éomer, Legolas and Gimli make their way near a tent, close to a mountainside. I slide off of Numen with a little difficulty, as he keeps moving around and stamping his feet. I frown once I land on the ground. Numen never fidgets, or does anything out of the ordinary. I shake my head and try to lead the restless horse over to my friends, but he whinnies and dashes off despite my attempts to calm him down. I sigh, watching as the horse trots hurriedly over to a small clearing and grazes.

"The horses are restless and the men are quiet." Legolas states, and I turn to face the men, who talk a few meters away. Aragorn has seemed to have joined them.

"They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." Éomer tells us, and I walk towards them curiously.

"That road there, where does that lead?" Gimli asks, pointing to a crack in the mountain. It forms a dark and mysterious pathway, and I narrow my eyes.

"None who venture there ever return." Éomer says darkly. "That mountain is evil."

Aragorn steps towards the mountain, seeming to have seen something. I squint down the shadowy path but see nothing.

"What is it?" I whisper, and Aragorn glances at me.

"I saw... I saw a figure." He murmurs.

"It was probably a soldier, exploring." I suggest. There's no way something could be in that mountain. "It's nothing..." I add, more to reassure myself.

"I hope so." Aragorn mutters, and I walk away, putting as much distance as I can between that mountain and me. What if something comes out of there? I shudder and walk through the camp, trying to relax. That mountain gives me the creeps.

I decide to find Numen again, and seek the comfort of one who also despises that mountain. Although that one is a horse, he still makes me feel better.

I find Numen near Aragorn, who is packing up his horse. I walk up to Numen and pat his rump, turning to face Aragorn.

"What are you doing?" I say casually.

"Going into the mountain." Aragorn says calmly. I nod and start packing Numen silently.

"What are you doing?" Aragorn asks, watching me.

"Coming with you." I reply, smirking. Although that mountain is freaky, I want to find out why. Aragorn opens his mouth to argue or something, but is interrupted by my second cousin.

"Why are you doing this? The war lies to the East. You cannot leave on the eve of battle! You cannot abandon the men." Éowyn cries, rushing over.

"Éowyn..." Aragorn begins.

"We need you here." Éowyn says desperately. I nearly forgot- she has an interest in the ranger. She will be heartbroken when she finds out about Arwen... I remain silent, watching them from beside Numen.

"Why have you come?" Aragorn then asks.

"Do you not know?"

"It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek." Aragorn says softly. I suddenly feel very awkward.

Éowyn looks torn, and my heart shatters for her. She deserves the best, but it turns out that Aragorn is not for her. She will find someone...

"I have wished you joy since first I saw you." Aragorn murmurs, touching her face gently before turning away and leading his horse away. He looks back at me, waiting for me to come with him. I glance sympathetically at Éowyn before following Aragorn. I catch up to him a minute later, and we walk in silence. The horses walk somewhat quietly, their hooves stepping on the flattened grass.

"Just where do you think you're off to?" Gimli suddenly booms from beside us.

"Not this time. This time you must stay, Gimli. I cannot risk bringing more of you with me- two is already pushing it."

Legolas appears behind Gimli, with Arod. The horse is already packed and ready to go. I smirk and Legolas meets my gaze with a smile before looking at Aragorn.

"Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?" He says, and I chuckle.

"Might as well accept it. We're going with you, laddie." Gimli announces. Legolas mounts Arod with Gimli behind him, Aragorn on Brego. I pull myself up onto Numen's back and we ride towards the pathway. Whispers of the men erupt as we enter the darkness, questioning our sanity, while I wonder if I'll ever see the sunlight again.

I will.

We will.

A/N: I'm so sorry it took so long to update! I was on holiday for a week in Vegas, and got back Monday. And guess what? I had writers block :( I literally had no motivation to write until now- therefore spending my Saturday afternoon writing for you guys :D Hope you liked it!

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and comment! Comment especially- they encourage me to write and will spur me on to update quicker :3

Shay xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Hoping By Nerd

Fanfiction

32.2K 1K 33
Sarah Tibbits, notorious pirate, started her job with Jack Sparrow at age fourteen. After Jack regained the Black Pearl, she worked with the rest of...
153K 3.5K 33
Caladwen was a baby elf who lost her family. She was all alone when Sauron, Lord of Mordor found her. He took her back to Mordor with him and raised...
74.5K 2.1K 21
Azul Cross is tired of her life slowly crashing down around her, so she does something one night that causes her life to forever change. She meets a...
244K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...