Wanderer 2.0, Book 1 Of The W...

By StAl2LiGhT

She was everything they never expected. Regal and mysterious, Callaia Sosa was more than they bargained for... More

Callaia's AI Art
Vote Results
An Unexpected Introduction
An Even More Unexpected Meeting
1• Lily, Inbound
2• The Garden of Vipers
3• A Bitter Affair
4• The Commander
5• Have Mercy on My Soul
6• Spy Versus Spy
7• Still Your Little Girl
Reader Opinion
On why i havent written ⚠️ TRIGGERING
8• One Hell of a Pilot
9• Arrogance
10• United
11• It's Been A Long, Long Time
13• This is Who We Are
14 • This is How We Are
Book 2: Russia Synopsis and Teaser

12• The Cat's Meow

1.8K 71 50
By StAl2LiGhT

🌐

T H E   C I G A R   R O O M

Callaia

There are few things in the world I'd classify as being more uncomfortable than this, but being in an enclosed room with these guys definitely is high up on the list. Sitting in lazy leisure in one of the velvet armchairs near the fireplace, I feign nonchalance even though my left brow has acquired a twitch. My long black cigarette holder hangs limply between two fingers, the cigarette half gone and heavy with ash I've yet to flick away. I've come to this meeting all dolled up, Alec and I planning on a night out at one of our favorite clubs in the area, The Cat's Meow. It once was a speakeasy back in the twenties, a bar that sold bootlegged liquor, and they've kept up the vibe from the era. It's one of our go to spots when we stop by the area.

One doesn't go to The Cat's Meow in typical clothing. It's why I'm decked out like a risqué flapper in a black tight dress bedazzled in eyelet lace and beading with a hem of six inch fringe tickling my knees. I've got black satin evening gloves and black heels with a vintage brooch on the toes as well. Alec helped with my hair as I'm only talented enough to pull it back in a ponytail myself. I've gotten better with my makeup over the years, but I rarely have the patience to play with my hair. It's in a low chiffon, lazy and coiled elegantly, with a string of black lace ribbon and fringe held by Art Deco shell shaped bronze clasps, one near my left ear and one at the crown of my head. The slack in the hairpiece is enough to go under my chiffon and dangle back up stylishly.

I kept my makeup simple yet dramatic, smoking my eyes black and paling my lips petal pink. All in all, the effect is stunning if I do say so myself. I'll even admit to scheduling things so I looked put together instead of pre-party when I finally swallowed my pride and met with the Faction leadership I've been avoiding. I didn't want to be caught in my skimpy nightwear again. I do have a reputation to uphold.

Finally gathering the courage, I look away from the darkening scenery outside the window and towards the five men I'll have to meet with like this frequently for the foreseeable future. Keeping my face vague and haughty, I make eye contact with each one individually from across the room.

Sitting in the two chairs by the fireplace are Dakota and Marc. Dakota gives me a tender smile when I look his way, emerald eyes glimmering with cunning knowing. He, like the others, is wearing a black suit meant for nights out. Apparently they found out about my plans for the night before take off and aren't going to idly sit by. An unfortunate turn of events, I think bitterly. I severely need a night to myself before shit hits the fan.

Marc smirks at me as soon as our eyes meet. Arctic blue clashing with mismatched colors of stunning brilliance. I turn my attention to the main sitting area. Though it is a closed off circle, the remaining three have made a point to sit where I can see their faces directly. Alone on the left side loveseat sits Axel. He's resting his cheek on the back of his hand, elbow on the armrest. That silken devil's hair falls around him beautifully as the corner of his lips pull up. His eyes simmer as they take me in unabashedly, smoldering tenfold by the time he gets back to my face.

I have to look away immediately, the hair on the back of my neck raising up with awareness. My eyes glance over at Sean, which happened to be a wise decision on my part. Seeing Sean pouting and glaring at me like a petulant child soothes all my nerves instantaneously. I find my lips pulling into a sly smile just as I lock eyes with Blackbourne.

My humor in the place of discomfort has an effect on him that I relish in. His blank expression corrodes into agitation and the scowl is simply to die for. I find myself chuckling lowly in response, sultry taunting words leaving my mouth before I can think twice, " I'm not bothering you, am I Blackbourne?"

A grunt like snarl gets caught in his throat and before I know it I'm grinning like I found the most tantalizing canary to snack on. Axel chuckles smokily, eyes never leaving my face. The stiff sits up even straighter, dove grey eyes glinting like gunmetal. It's a lovely frigid color. A damn shame it compliments such a shitty personality.
"If you're done with your games, Miss Sosa, I'd like to get down to business."

I slouch more comfortably in my seat, bringing the cigarette holder to my lips. I take a long slow drag while maintaining unblinking eye contact with him, letting his patience evaporate as I take my dear, sweet, time. His lower left eyelid is twitching by the time I get around to replying, Marc already vibrating with glee and humor from the little conversation had. They'll learn quick that I'm a shit diplomat as all learn. I have other talents that I utilize outside of boardrooms.
"Business is best played like a game, don't you agree, Sean?"

My eyes dart over to the blonde doctor who obviously still has hurt pride over the other night. His green eyes clash with mine, roaring with indigence. Snappishly, he bites out, " As a matter of fact - no!"

I chuckle airily, enjoying his response so much that all my venomous coils unravel. The tension leaves me at least and this no longer feels like an interrogation. I bat my eyes at him and smile silken-like, "I'm sorry I did that to you, Sean. Forgive me?"

He side eyes me, face unsure as his throat bobs on a gulp. His arms remain crossed, head tossed away from me, but the tension in his body slowly releases. After a few moments, his arms fall away and he practically melts against the couch as he tosses an arm over his eyes. "Fine, I forgive you," he grumbles.

I'm practically giddy with lapping at the blood so easily spilled throughout this meeting. This is almost fun. I close my eyes and sigh a bit, reeling myself in. I'm not here to play. In fact, a lot needs to be settled before we can go any further. Best I get on with it and quit stalling for shits and giggles. When a bored gaze, I open my eyes and stare Blackbourne down, " You first, then. Floor's all yours."

He wastes no time, jerking to attention as of he'd prepared his whole life for this exact moment, "The situation we've found ourselves in is obvious and needs no further attention. However, how we proceed does."

He pins me with another frigid glare, as if ready to battle it out for whatever he's about to demand. I fight a smile, failing at controlling the snake like glint I can feel in my eyes, " Let's hear it then."

Straightening his tie as he stands to his feet, a petty power play in my opinion, he dictates the following, " Under our surveillance you will obey every direct order without question. You may be used to waltzing into danger without thought, but that's not how I run my ship."

Oh, Owen darling, you poor naive thing. I do smile now. He gives me a glacial look when I do, patiently awaiting the tantrum he'd prepared to counteract. I wave my long cigarette holder in a lazy circle, "Go on."

He seems a bit thrown askew by my response, but clears his throat and begins his arrogant pacing along with his spiel, " You will report to me at seven each morning. Punctuality is a virtue you'd do well to remember. I want a full breakdown of the day's upcoming itinerary and your plans of execution. I'll make adjustments where I feel them to be necessary. If I feel you are endangering my Faction or if I feel that you're breaking the law, there will be repercussions. At first it may be simple physical exercises to remind you to behave. If you persist, legal action may be taken. Are we perfectly clear, Miss Sosa?"

I smile at him still, remaining silent. I'll let him run out of steam before I slit his throat. Metaphorically, of course. At least for now. Taking my silence as acceptance, he goes back to his pacing and ranting, "Henceforth..."

Sean clears his throat, eyes bouncing between Blackbourne and I with apprehension and caution, "Uh, Owen..."

"Not now, Sean," he cuts him off before going on as if nothing had been said, "Henceforth, you'll be required to wear a tracer at all times. If you remove it, the local authorities will be called and then we'll have you transferred to our own facility. Also..."

"Owen," Marc warns, eying me as warily as Sean now. I wave him off, practically purring at this point, " Don't stop him on my account."
Both grimace and look at their Commander with apprehension. He notices nothing, "Your supposed 'team' will need to be vetted. Our flimsy research has already revealed a slew of criminals and moral pariahs. Most I'll have to put away. Working with you alone will already be crossing the line, but I refuse to-."

Line crossed.

"Are you done, Blackbourne?" I bite out, humor gone. The room turns chilled as we stare off. Like a viper, I strike out with poise and cunning in my arsenal. He'd been ensnared in my trap long before he knew to even be wary. I glance over at Dakota first and drolly ask, "Is he always like this?"

He grimaces in apology while Marc and Sean both blandly reply together, "Yes."

I chuckle, letting go of my vendetta for now. I'll tolerate him stomping his feet at me, but he'd better remember to leave my team out of it. They're mine and under my protection. Period.

I stand, hip sliding to one side as I put out my cigarette on the priceless side table I'm sure cost a small fortune. I coyly walk about the room, pretending to eye the art on the walls with curiosity as if I haven't seen it all a thousand times prior. I make sure to keep my voice level and unaffected, though my fingers twitch to put him in his place after threatening my people, "Let me tell you how things are going to go, Blackbourne."

I turn away from the wall when I'm behind him, eyeing him like a snake while he refuses to turn and face me. His fists are clenched at his sides, and his shoulders wound so tight I can practically hear them creak.
"I'm currently in the middle of a very important undertaking in Russia. I just simply don't have the patience to humor you right now. So..."

I pause long enough to light another cigarette. I have one arm holding my waist, other bent at the elbow where the cigarette burns beside my face, " You may tag along if you keep a hold of yourself and don't jeopardize my people. I'll say this only once, Owen Blackbourne."
The air turns frigid once more as I narrow my eyes on him icily. He just barely turns his head enough to glare at me hatefully over his shoulder.
"If you ever threaten my people again, I'll gut you like a fish and put your head on a pike in the UN's front yard. These are not empty words."

Everyone's full focus now is on me, finally taking me seriously.
"You will work around my orders and deal with it, and you will stay out of our way. Your petty vendetta against me will not put those under my wing in danger or this is over. I don't care what my grandfather wants at that point. You'd do well to remember that it's his desire alone that allows you to come along. I personally can't stand your kind."

Dakota steps forward, cutting off Blackbourne before he can say anything further, "Why though? Why are you so against us? We're on the same side."

"No, we're not," I tell him sharply. I make sure he knows I'm focusing entirely on him when I continue, "My organization has tried playing nice with you over the years and all we've gotten in return is exactly this kind of shit. I told the Big Five exactly what you just did and was laughed out of the room. So no, Dakota. We are not on the same side. Apparently, we're not even on the same page."

His emerald eyes lose their glimmer and dull with sadness, "I'm so sorry, Callaia. Maybe we can talk to-."
"No," I interject, looking away from him haughtily, "We don't need your help. We manage just fine on our own."

Dakota's lips open and close minutely as he thinks over his reply. Finally, after his eyes bounce between mine long enough to irritate me, his face hardens with a sort of accepting determination. He gives me merely a polite nod and a, "Okay. I can understand that. Obviously we went about this wrong."

Blackbourne jerks in his skin, ready to contradict him, but Dakota cuts him off with a glare, "No, this isn't how we're going to handle this, Owen. I'd like us all to work together as much as possible despite the obvious differences and animosities between each side."
His eyes land on me without wavering and his posture straightens as if addressing his own commanding officer and not the enemy's, "What do you need from us, Callaia?"

I raise a brow at him, not understanding what he's getting at, "Need from you?"

Sean glances around the room before sighing and standing up. He faces me with his hands leisurely in his pant pockets, " What he means is that for us to work together there has to be a method to the madness, we all need to know our places."
Axel cuts in, his hands steepled on his crossed knee, "You don't have to figure that out now, but it is the best way to handle this. Learn our strengths, learn what you need from us in the field, and we can make plans together to see if we can work something out."

I study them all carefully as I think over my next words. As irate as I feel, they are trying to reach out diplomatically. I don't want to stomp out any hope of peaceful cooperation before we even leave the states.
"You do realize you're asking more from me than to simply give you a job? You're asking me to trust you."

They nod solemnly with the exception of Blackbourne.
"After Blackbourne just threatened me and my people," I clarify for clarity's sake because I'm clarifying like that.

Axel takes hold of the way this conversation is going and actually gets to his feet. He's remained watchful and seated mostly. I feel that smoky chemistry wrapping around me as he closes in on my person. Each measured unhurried step controlling the pace of my heart. His presence is swift and striking yet subtle in all its glory. I've been victim to his fascinating intrigue from the very beginning and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Axel stops in front of me, too close to be polite. His eyes smolder down at mine with one hand in his pant pocket. His other hand raises and gently plucks my cigarette holder from my hand to take a drag himself. His exhaling breath envelopes me in the smoke, lulling me further under his spell. "I've spoken with your grandfather this morning."

This I know already.
He studies the cigarette holder between his fingers as if passively studying a mouse he'd caught, "So long as we work together, Callaia, I won't allow Owen to jeopardize your safety or honor without reason. Don't fret about him for now. Just trust in my word and honor as a man that I'll play as fair as you do."

He winks at me from the side of his tilted head, a tug pulling up on the corner of his lips. I'm so struck I barely register Blackbourne's rebuttal from yonder. I pluck my cigarette holder back with a low chuckle. I simply rest the lip between mine and murmur, " Fair enough, Axel Toma. I'll hold you to your word until you give me reason to doubt its worth."

His eyes gleam with pleasure, " Good. Now tell us about this mission of yours in Russia."
The room lets out a collective metaphorical breath as he steps away from me and makes his way back to his seat, where he perches oh-so-prettily like a lazy house cat. I play around with what to say as I too make my way to a seat. Instead of my distant one by the window, I sit across from them in a chaise lounge opposite of the enclosed circular seating area. Once I'm settled, Dakota makes his way towards me and sits just beside me on another sofa. Blackbourne and Sean return exactly as they were while Marc stands just behind Dakota with his attention fully on me and no one else.

He wrinkles his nose at my cigarette smoke billowing towards the ceiling, "Those kill you know?"

I smirk, remembering a certain blonde in an attic who'd said the same thing. I don't justify him with a response, instead jumping straight to the heart of matters, "I received a call just as I was wrapping something else up in Japan. I still am no closer to knowing who my anonymous caller is, but all of his intelligence has been uncannily accurate. I'll be frank, I haven't got a damn clue what the hell we've gotten ourselves into. The pieces of the puzzle are scattered and scarce, and near everything revolves around one of my agent's success with their current objective. My people are at the ready, the meet up points are designated, and we've acquired a fair amount of intel on those involved to the best of our knowledge. Thing is, we aren't sure what they're up to. It definitely involves a corrupt political system but aside from that things get vague."

Blackbourne doesn't miss one beat, "So what you're saying is you're sticking your nose in something that may or may not even be a threat."

I snort at him, "I wouldn't go through all this trouble if I didn't think there was a threat, Blackbourne."
We're deadlocked in a battle of glowering when Sean clears his throat and says with obvious amusement, "So enlighten us as best you can. What has your spidey senses going haywire?"

I haughtily turn away from Blackbourne and focus my attention on the more pleasant company present, namely Sean, "It's more complex than I have the time for tonight. I have places to be and people to see."

Sean's grin grows even more, both of us fully aware of the radiating anger billowing off of the man sitting beside him, "Oh? Have a hot date tonight?"

I stand with a sly smile, winking at him in passing. He throws his hands up to fend me off with his pointer fingers crossed like I'm some damn vampire, "Oh no you don't! Not this time!"

I laugh softly, grinning down at him, "Don't worry, Sean. Your pants are safe from me tonight."
His finger drop a bit as he thinks over what I said carefully, "Hold up. That doesn't mean I don't want-."

"Sean Green!" Blackbourne bellows like a parent scolding a child. It's inevitable I'm afraid that'll I'll become friendly with Sean. That he riles Blackbourne up in ways I can only dream of, says everything of what's to come between us. Naughty children who found new naughty friends to play their naughty games with.

I turn on my heel sharply and make my way to the exit. I say to them as I leave, "If you must know, I have a night of frivolous debauchery planned and business has no place in my company tonight. Come along if you want, but you won't ruin my fun."

I pause at the entryway to send a promising wink at them over my shoulder, "If you do, I'll ruin you."

🌐

S  A  V  A  N  N  A  H,     G  E  O  R  G  I A

The Cat's Meow

9 : 3 2   P. M.

I throw my head back in a laugh as Alec speeds down the last block and whips into the parking garage. The open top of the Royce is blowing my tidy hair about wildly and I'm loving every second of it. I had enough outings growing up that required me to behave and look perfectly pretty until the end. One of the best parts about growing up is deciding exactly how much of a slob I want to be. I'm thinking just a little under pristine will work for tonight. I do want to dance after all.

The purr of the engine echoes in the concrete garage, getting even louder as he revs it again. He's chuckling too, arms jerking the wheel sharply as he cuts the corner from the first level to the second. Round and round we go, level after level, headlights flashing against the paint of parked cars as we wind upwards to the roof level. He swerved into a row of three parking spots sideways and immediately jumps out. I'm still chuckling as he opens my door, placing my hand in his.

Alec is just as ready to let loose as I am. It's been rough for both of us lately and I don't see it getting any better. I have a very dedicated team that I am proud of and would defend to the death. They are just as determined as I am to finish any business we're on. There usually aren't many breaks we get while on a mission. To make up for it, I mandate breaks in between missions. Rarely do I allow this to be bypassed because of a time sensitive matter.

Yes, time is of the essence in every case. There's always someone that could've been saved if we'd been a day earlier, something that we could've stopped if we'd just been a little quicker. Walter's right though and I try to apply his wisdom as much as I can. There's always another life being lost, always another crime ring being raised. We can't be everywhere at once and we can't burn ourselves at both ends. It sucks to realize that, but I try to make up for it by going full throttle on any case we pick up.

The guilt gets a bit easier as our organization grows. I can put more people out in the field, have more hands on deck to handle the things I can't get to. I can't grow our organization if I'm stretched thin. We're all scattered across the globe right now, Alec and I truly the only ones that get to play. Russia is in fact time sensitive in a sense. Walt and Alec both convinced me that with the news I've gotten this week it was necessary that I go out and have fun. The team needs me at my best and I'm not at my best. After tonight though, I'll be peachy.

Alec tugs on my hand, ripping me from the car and into his chest in one smooth maneuver. I grin up at him and push away, "We're not on the dance floor yet, Alec."
He winks and holds his elbow out for me to take. I take his elbow, flicking my fallen hair away from my cheek as I do. We're nearing the top floor elevator when an army of vehicles pulls up at a more reasonable speed than we had. Alec and I share a mischievous look before looking back at the Syndicate Faction over our shoulders. My lips curl into a smirk when I lock eyes with an obviously disgruntled Blackbourne.

He's looking at me as well, disgust practically seeping from his pores. I chuckle, subtly slowing down when I take notice of Dakota and Victor coming our way. Alec looks down at me with a quizzical brow that I simply smile in response to. I look at my feet, closing my eyes. I trust him entirely to lead me as I murmur to him, "Color me curious. I want to know what they're up to."

He snorts. I open one eye with a mischievous look up at him, "You'd think after all this time you'd be used to my little games."
"You'd think," he mumbles wryly.

Both of us go quiet when the two sets of footsteps near. I don't offer even a glance at them, but I do acknowledge them verbally, "Yes, Dakota and Victor?"
It's Victor that walks directly beside me. He's a fascinating man who's full of shit.

Every time he takes my hand in his and gives me that smoldering look, I want to laugh. I'll admit to being a little enamored by the act, but I'm not fool enough to fall for it. Sticking to his debonair farce, Victor mimics Alec and offers me his elbow. My lips twitch as I suppress my smile, but I take it.
"Our commanding officers filled us in on your meeting. They said you'd been vague," he states as if he isn't prying.

Alec's fingers dig into my hand on his arm. I squeeze the bend of his elbow in reassurance all the while keeping my focus on Victor and Dakota.
"I can understand how frustrating that is for you and your faction. I wouldn't tolerate it at all personally. If I were in Blackbourne's shoes I'd snatch my team up and leave immediately. There isn't any monetary amount in existence that'd convince me to send my team in without the whole picture."

My answer shocks them both. Victor's arm jerking against my hand in response says it all. He's lost for words apparently. It's Dakota who leans forward to catch my eye, "I'm actually surprised, Callaia. The way you two have been behaving I assumed you didn't have any sympathy for him at all. Owen hasn't exactly been shy about his opinion of you, either."

I shrug one shoulder, "Just because we don't see eye to eye doesn't mean I don't appreciate the burden of leading a team. We do have that in common even if he'd rather eat his shoes instead of admitting it. I'll understand if it's a dealbreaker to only be given half truths. I can only promise to divulge as much as I can for now. Perhaps in the future that'll change, but you can understand after our meeting why I'm wary to give full disclosure."

He grimaces and nods while running a hand through his hair. I look away, letting go of Victor in favor of letting Alec escort me onto the elevator. It's reminiscent of the twenties as well - Art Deco gold detailing with faded green highlights fully make up the interior. The bold symmetrical geometrics overcome the walls, that faded jewel tone green popping up in the pattern in the form of stained metals. I wait until after Alec has pressed the button to the floor below and the doors close before I continue, " I have an offer for you that I want you to take to your team."

The two syndicate men are leaning on the opposite side of the elevator, appearing relaxed and curious. Alec and I stand side by side across from them, facing the door.
 I'm willing to send you all on a vacation at my expense. I won't tell my grandfather about the change in plans and you all can keep out of the line of fire and not tarnish your name by working beside a criminal organization."

I loathe calling us criminals, but their view of us isn't far off from that. We're barely a step above the ones they usually take down. I try not to be bitter about it, but it's not exactly something I enjoy remembering. I'm attempting to be fair despite the prejudices between our two parties. The last thing I want is to have their blood on my hands, even if they're constantly getting on my last nerve. It's likely they'll die on the field under my command, and that's exactly how everyone will view it including myself - they'll go in under my orders and die by them if it comes to that. The less I can tell them the higher the chance becomes.

"We can't do that princess," Victor drawls, arrogance practically permeating off his body. Alec and I both tense. Dakota sighs, middle finger pushing his glasses up on his nose. Even with being exasperated, Dakota nods his agreement. Leveling Victor with my own brand of lazy arrogance and raising him a haughty brow arch, I say, "And why is that?"

His eyes glow like a cat's, smelted amber liquid gleaming like the gold on the walls. He pushes off from the side of the elevator and stalks towards me, slow and predatory. Alec groans but I don't look to see what's up with him. Instead I keep my own predatory gaze on a fellow predator. This isn't a predator and prey situation, it's a territory dispute between two carnivores. The feline and the canine dancing around in a circle just before the lunge.

Victor stands at my side, a hand in his pocket, hips suavely favoring one side as if he hasn't a care in the world. His lightly curled hair shines with the gold light, delicately falling around the  refined features of his face. Narrow lips tick up with a lethal smirk, keeping his sharp teeth hidden for now. This is Victor Morgan, not that ass kissing fool he keeps pretending to be. It appears that Sean hadn't been their only attempt after all.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
I've been fooled twice and I'm irritated to the nines about it.

His other hand raises to twirl the fringe of my headpiece with a foreboding sort of gentleness, as if with a single twitch of his fingers he could have me subdued. I keep very, very, still, not wanting to allude to the fact I know the dangerous game we're playing while maintaining an air of nonchalance about the whole matter.
Like poisoned whiskey being poured over ice in a crystal glass, he croons under his breath, "I never let my target leave my sight once I've snatched them up."

I near crumble at the effort it takes to stop from making my body's jerk in response noticeable. I swear my spine popped from containing it. I pull away from Alec and lean into him instead, coiling angrily inside at that smug expression on his face as if he'd won. Looking up at him from under my lashes, my lips parting as they come near his enough to graze them if I only dare to exhale. My right hand hovers over his chest but never actually applies even the slightest amount of pressure.

I take great joy in the expression on his face now - foggy and unfocused. Moving just a hair closer, enough that my lips tickle the corner of his mouth as I respond in a low sultry manner, "Neither do I."

The deadly dance is broken when simultaneously Dakota slaps a hand on his shoulder and says his name with reprimand and the elevator opens with a bell. I step back, keeping my eyes locked on his. Now they burn with anger he's barely keeping a bay, fingers clenching at his side. I smirk and turn, a little last 'fuck you' that I'm not scared to show my back to him, and rejoin Alec's side. Alec, ever the perfect assistant, escorts me into the hallway without batting an eye.

The hall continues the gorgeous architecture with dim sconces nearly touching the ceiling and stamped brass replacing the gold. A recreation of Pierre le Faguays' Art Deco sculpture, Dancer with Thyrsus, covers the left wall in a mosaic that utilizes metals instead of glass. The woman looms over the incoming guests, her staff pointing the way to the entrance just up ahead.

The doorman glances at us just enough to see that he needs to go ahead and unlock the door. I can't hear the music yet, but I can feel the rhythm vibrating the floor under my feet. My heart begins to race with anticipation, but I remain a good girl for a moment more even as he opens the door. Only long enough to flippantly tell the doorman over my shoulder as the booming big band horns give me chills, " I'll have company tonight. Fourteen gentlemen in the Blackbourne-Toma party. Let them through if you would."

He nods, eyeing the two trailing behind us with a bland expression. As soon as we get in, arms are thrown around me and the force of it near knocks me backwards. I'm laughing as I return the hug, feeling high off the new age Charleston playing loudly. The vibe in here is to die for. Low lit chandlers in the Tiffany Style, hang low over the cloth covered tables in the raised seating area that circles the stage and dance floor. The bar is in a section literally in the wall over on the far left and up a set of stairs from the seating and lounge floor. The bartender is nearly dancing as he spins liquor bottles and turns deftly while he makes drinks. He's all done up like the rest of the staff here in suspenders and twenties dress clothes. The band playing tonight isn't one I'm familiar with, but the shock of red hair on the man singing catches my eye from here.

Definitely developing a thing for red heads. I usually go for blondes.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I'd walked through a door right into the past it's that convincing in here. The woman who'd thrown herself at me is an intimately familiar face from the area. Blonde and brown eyes, hair cut like a boy and decked out in a stylish suit, Royal is yet again stealing the limelight. If not for her feminine face, none would ever be any wiser that she's a girl. She's always been tall, lanky, and lean. With a suit on she plays the part dashingly.

Royal takes my hand in hers and leans over it to kiss it. Her eyes are playful and flirty as she winks up at me, " Dance with me?"

"Incorrigible as always I see, Royal," I tease. She stands up with a devilish smirk, " Can't seem to help myself when you waltz in here looking like this. Haven't seen you in ages, gorgeous. Sticking around for long?"

I shake my head, " No, I leave tomorrow."
Royal wilts, " Fuck. You never stay long enough for us to play anymore."
I chuckle but don't answer. We may have shared a few encounters over the years in private, but I'll never kiss and tell.

I lean into her personal space with a smirk, " Best enjoy me while you have me then." Her eyes light up and next thing I know I'm being dragged through the masses to the dance floor just as Dixie Biscuits starts up. I laugh at her, calling out to Alec as I try to keep up, " Grab me a drink will you!"

"Have fun," he calls back with a chuckle.

Royal twirls me into her chest just as she begins to face me. Both of us are grinning up at one another before we swiftly join in with some old time footwork and superb leading on her part.

Between the drinks Alec keeps handing me in between dances and the enticing music casting me under its spell, I feel like I'm in another world far away from all my troubles. Royal is ever the gentlewoman, lifting me up and leading me across the floor.

It's when she snatched her own drink and presses her lips to mine to pass me a sip of scotch that I realize she wants this night to go a certain way. I adore Royal, but sex isn't on the agenda for me tonight. I'm still feeling a bit raw and I'm worried I might shatter if we go that far. I never allow myself to be vulnerable like that around my lovers. As I do, I roll with the punches and let the moment take me for a ride even if it's only briefly. I lean back in her arms, her pressing her lips harder against mine until I'm bent over her arm.

Her lips always know what to do, taking the weight off my shoulders and leading me away from my worries. It's addicting. She's a dear friend and a magnificent lover.

Her hands don't stray, her touch never pushing the boundary. In this kiss we come to an understanding. She pulls away with a bit of a pout, "Not that kind of night?"
I smile at her fondly, " Not tonight."
She rolls her eyes but doesn't ask questions, just snatches me back up in her arms and jives us back into the fray.

🌐

"The vitriol that comes out of that mouth alone is enough to drive any man insane."

My lips curl delectably before taking a sip of the scotch. I'd needed a breath of air after hours of dancing with Royal and then with Alec for a bit when a chain of slow songs played. Those two are leaning against a stair rail across the room, chatting and laughing as they catch up.

Now here we are, Blackbourne sitting at the bar with North, Dakota, and Brandon sitting in that order to his left. The others are sitting at tables nearby, all quiet and watching me without giving away anything of how they feel. They seem wary and watchful, waiting to see what I'll do after overhearing one of their commanding officers bitch and whine like a schoolgirl.

Placing my empty glass on a passing table, I stalk towards him unhurried. Prowling, smelling my prey, I eye him with hungry anticipation. He shakes his head, setting down his glass in front of him with two fingers lightly holding the rim.
"It's absolutely ridiculous that we're expected to trail behind a madwoman with a death wish. We're decorated agents of the Syndicate, not babysitting amateurs who still need to prove ourselves."

North snorts, glaring down at his Jack and Coke on the rocks. He picks it up with two fingers, swirling it a time or two before throwing it back in one swallow, " She's just a spoilt brat, Owen. Don't let her get to you too bad. She'll get in over her head before long and come crawling when she needs help."

Owen scoffs in agreement. It's right here where I insert myself. It's all rather cut and dry...well, perhaps that's counting the chickens before they hatch.

"Bartender," I call from behind Blackbourne. I drag my arm along his as I reach down for his drink. He stills, a grunt in his throat. "He needs another drink, this one's-."

He eyes me hatefully from his peripheral. I can't help but to smirk, relishing the look transform into shock when the remainder of his drink pours from his glass over his head.
"-gone dry," I finish.

The bartender doesn't stumble, he doesn't even twitch, he merely sets down the glass he'd been polishing and tosses the rag over a shoulder. Once his hands are free he snatches a bottle from under the bar and gets another glass flipped up.

My eyes dance with mirth as Blackbourne slowly goes about taking his glasses off, violently lashing a cloth napkin before using it to dry his lens. There's barely a second to react once the sound of glass slides across the bar towards us. I fall against the edge on my hip, haughtily staring him down even though he still sits higher than I stand. Like cocking a gun, swift and instantaneous, my fingers catch the sailing glass. Only the sound of the ice settling in the glass cuts the silence amongst our company.

I take a sip, unable to stifle my amusement anymore when he places his glasses back on his face and tries to murder me with only a look.
"If you handle all of your conflicts this way, it's no wonder you're drowning with this Russian fiasco you inserted yourself into."

I step into his personal space, arching my back so I can look up into his eyes from under my lashes. My lips quirk up in one corner, barely reaching the air near his pulse on the underside of his jaw where they hover, " Owen."

He tenses, hands slapping down on my arms. I set his glass back on the bar top when he attempts to push me away from his personal bubble more gently than I think he actually wanted to.  I chuckle low in my throat, fingers trailing along his tie until they graze the knot.

With one hand pressing against the silk of his tie tail and the other tugging the knot, I say loud enough for our company to overhear in a flirtatious teasing way, " Your tie's crooked."

In one sharp movement, I pull on his tie until he jolts forward and chokes. I turn away smiling softly, lighting a cigarette in the long holder and taking a drag while smugly watching him cough. North jumps up and tries to turn me to ash with his eyes alone, "The fuck is your problem?"

I chuckle huskily, " Why, I have no problem at all."

Dakota stands up swiftly when the brute takes a threatening step towards me and places a hand on his chest. He whispers something to him, keeping an eye on me as he does. I continue to preen to myself, probably a bit too pleased.

A snort, a hand grabbing ahold of my arm, drags me away from my prideful perch. I peer over at the man who'd touched me and find Gabriel.
"Come on troublemaker. I want a dance," he practically commands with that deep husky voice of his. Those crystal eyes of his are dangerous. Such a beautiful enticing color. They near pierce me when he looks down at me like he wants to devour me. It still remains to be seen if he wants to devour me to savor my taste, or to relish in my pain.

I lazily circle my wrist until my fingers are facing up, waiting for him to take my hand, " What are are you waiting for, then?"
He smirks, taking hold of my offered hand and dragging me back through the lounge area. I put my cigarette out in a random person's drink, ignoring the indigent cursing that follows.

A cigarette a silhouette by Mildred Bailey coos across the room as the band's female singer steps up onto the stage. It's a slow song, smokey and sultry, dragging us under another era's spell. Gabriel holds me close, leading me through the dance as good as any man worth a damn.

At first he stares down at me hard, as if silently berating me for teasing their commanding officer. That sternness shifts into amusement, an exasperated grin on his face as he takes us three swift steps to the left before a turn about. "You just can't help yourself, can you?"

It's rhetorical so I keep silent, watching him dispassionately while waiting for him to get to his point. His hand on my spine slides lower, tugging me closer until our bodies collide below. He sways us to the bluesy lullaby, feet precise and innovative as he circles us around, " Don't let that stuffy fuck get to you. Owen's strict and a hard ass, but he isn't evil or anything like that."

"That's up for debate," I reply drolly. "He threatened my people with legal retaliation. In my eyes, he's enemy number one."

Gabriel grimaces, briefly looking up to scan the room. His eyes tighten at the corners when he sees something, presumably one of his own, before looking back down at me with determination. I'm not sure what his end game is. He's not like the strong personalities leading his team, yet his personality is just as vibrant, just as unique.

"Don't worry 'bout him. We'll keep him in check. We knew exactly what we were signing up for when we agreed to this mission."
I raise a brow and look away, lips curling mischievously in the corners when I see Blackbourne glowering at me over Sean's shoulder. I lay my head on Gabriel's chest, keeping eye contact with the stiff.

Gabriel's chest vibrates with his low laughter. He turns us sharply away from Blackbourne and weaves into the bulk of the crowd dancing around us so I can't see him anymore. " I'm already fucking up with what little we've learned about what happens to those who dare to get too close to you."

I peer up at him from under my lashes, a devilish fiend whispering bad things in my ear. Temptation is so hard to ignore when they make it so easy. Gabriel smirks down at me as if he's already got my number. "Whatever do you mean?," I ask coyly. That smirk grows, those eyes gleam knowingly, "Anyone who dares to get too close to you so far has not fared well. Sean's lost his pants, and you reversed uno'd Owen by choking him with his own tie. I'm fairly certain he likes to do that to others, not the other way around."

A gleeful zing shoots up my spine, a big grin on my face. I'm practically preening again.
" I do love surprises," I tease. In a certain context at least. I care less for them in a professional setting. Gabriel throws his head back and laughs, beaming down at me as he pulls me in closer when the music picks up again.

For near an hour we dance together, breaking it up for brief rests on the side for a drink in between. Gabriel's method is better than the others they've sent. He at least knows the art of getting someone tipsy first. He doesn't pry too much though, seemingly more interesting in what makes me tick. Getting to know Gabriel reminds me of those silly personality questionnaires we did in elementary school. Favorite colors, a fond memory, a secret indulgence - that sort of nonsense.

It's clever, I'll give him that. I've been on edge since our paths crossed - just as wary and hesitant as they've felt. This isn't an easy thing, working together like this. Our morals are from different philosophies, they're black and white while we swim in the many hues of grey. Our ways and how we approach matters couldn't be more polarizing subjects. The way we view the world is a topic best left alone, like politics and religion at Christmas dinners. This is a perfect storm, a recipe for imminent failure, but I don't hate them. I don't even loathe them - I just dislike them enough to possibly consider tripping them in a gunfight to save my own ass.

They hover worse than helicopter parents which does nothing for my patience. And yet here I am, smiling and dancing with our rivals as if they don't hold my people's futures in the palms of their hands.

Even so, as I peer up into Gabriel's amused gaze while we dance and chat like old friends, it feels less simple than that. A chosen few make my blood boil despite the fact I keep that hidden away when in their company. The others don't seem too bad though, and that's enough to stave off a full on rage. These vague in between moments in the company of those like Gabriel, give me hope that just maybe I can keep my promise to Paw, that just maybe we can grin and bear it together until it's time for us to part ways.

"May I cut in?"

My lips tug in the corners, fond exasperation has me heaving a sigh. Gabriel raises a brow in question, following my gaze as I lazily tilt my head to look over my shoulder, "Royal, darling. Do you even have to ask?"

Royal shoots me a dashing smirk, a flirtatious gleam in her eyes, " Wouldn't want to take a lady from her spoils of the night."
I give Gabriel a brief glance, fishing for his reaction. Royal pulls off dressing like a guy better than most of the population, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to tell her actual gender. Despite her preferences, she still likes to be acknowledged as a girl. She simply likes dressing the way she does. She likes to be the gentlewoman in a relationship, opening our doors and tucking our chairs under us as we sit. She's far better at wooing a lady than most men I've been with that's for damn sure.

No matter what I tell myself when we cross paths, rarely does she fail to charm me into her arms and her bed.

Royal takes in Gabriel's hands on my lower back and waist and raises a brow at me in question, " Is this why you don't want to play tonight? Finally decided to stick to one?"
I snort and shoot Gabriel a teasing look at the gobsmacked look on his face. I pet his chest flippantly, " No, nothing like that. Simply playing nice with my new business partners."

Royal grins at him playfully, " Is that what were calling it now?" She looks me over carefully and frowns, " How about we sit for a bit and let you catch your breath instead? You look a little tired."
My smile stays in place as I look up at her but my eyes go sad, " I am a bit tired now that you mention it. Care to join us, Gabriel?"

He stares me down, all teasing gone from his face, and nods once, " Yeah, let's get you somewhere you can rest your feet."
Damn, I'll never hear the end of it if it gets back to the rest that I don't have my head on straight.
I step away from him dramatically, leaning into Royal's awaiting embrace. I playfully place my hands on her bound chest and flutter my eyelashes, " You always have had a knack for knowing when I'm ready to throw my heels over the balcony."

Her eyes are sad and worried, but with a quick glance up at Gabriel she buries it away and plays along. A gentle smile is on her face when she looks back at me, " You always run yourself ragged when you go out. Have to make sure such a beauty doesn't wither away under my watch. Come on. Let's go find somewhere where I can rub your feet."

I don't have to pretend that I perk up at the idea. Her fingers are sinful.

Royal chuckles at me and jerks her chin over to the seating in the lounge area near the other men of the faction. A peer over at them from the corner of my eye while Gabriel and Royal each take an arm and take some of my weight off my feet. Most all of them are watching us carefully. North, Dakota, Sean, and Owen are still sitting at the bar. All four are feigning being in a deep conversation with one another even when their eyes seek me out obviously. Luke sits with the twins and Raven near the ledge that is just over the nook Royal picked out. He's smiling at me mischievously. The brooding twin is blatantly staring like the rest of the table but his expression is carefully guarded. Corey seems to be chuckling at us, leaning over to whisper something in Raven's ear. Raven smirks at whatever he says, watching me as I lay my head on Royal's arm. His eyes are glinting with knowing, tongue snaking out to lick his lips when I blatantly cuddle into her side.

The others are far less obvious in their studying - only Axel gives me a brief smile and a wink before going back to conversations with the few in the group he's sitting with, Silas and Marc.

Gabriel intercepts Royal to be the one to hold my hand as I sit down. Royal huffs but goes about holding my seat out for me anyways. She leans down to murmur in my ear, " Rude Fucker isn't he?"

I grin in amusement, leaning back leisurely to sip on my drink while they sit on either side of me. She wastes no time in placing my left foot in her lap, gently taking off my heel and immediately getting to work on the arch of my foot. I groan and sink into my seat, just now realizing how much my feet ache. I may have been a little stupid about pushing myself tonight after all.

She smiles at me and continues her slow coaxing at the tendons in my foot.

"I've only seen you with girls so far. No taste for dick?" A heavily accented Russian voice purrs from above. I peer up at Raven, watching him in content silence as he leans over the railing overhead. That brute has the manners of a bitch in heat. Royal snorts, amusement dripping from her voice, " Callaia isn't easily satisfied one way or the other. She must be in a mood this week."

We share a look, no humor in it at all. Royal has known me long enough for it to be a problem honestly. I rarely dip my toes in the same lake more than once. She's one of the few exceptions. Her eyes say everything her lips aren't. She isn't simply referring to my preference of gender for the week. She knows something is up. There'd have to be for me to keep a distance from her like I have tonight. I'm not known to turn down a good time.

I give her a wry smile which makes her look at me with worry again.
"I'll admit to having an particular appetite, but it's truly just what's been available."
Royal is now narrowing her eyes at me. It's the first time I'm grateful for the faction being present. She looks ready to tear into me. Apparently she's not buying my bullshit. Even so, she respects me and wouldn't dare to call me out in front of our new company. Doesn't mean I'll escape her wicked looks.

"I'm not drunk," I say to no one in particular, the tone suggesting this is a great travesty. Gabriel chuckles, nudging my hip with this knee. I let my head fall to the side so I can look at him. He's done up tonight and he looks even more pretty than usual. His long emo kid hair is styled messily, a few locks of his side fringe falling across his eyes. He's wearing a skinny suit, black, with no tie and a few buttons undone. All those piercings and the few peekaboos of ink I can see just blend together with his uptown dress, making a delicious combination of debonair and dangerous.

He's leaning back in his seat, man-spreading like a champ with his arms crossed. He looks every bit the naughty bad boy trying to behave at his parents' work party. "Want me to get you something wild?"

I perk up at this and nod, " The wildest."
Gabriel stands up with a laugh, tugging on a lock of my bangs as he passes me from behind, " One wild night coming right up."

My lips curl feline-like when I look over at Royal. She shakes her head with an exasperated smile, those wicked fingers digging into my toes just right, " And you call me incorrigible."
I wink at her, smile now sly, " Takes one to know."

She laughs, tossing my foot to the ground, " Put your own damn shoe on you silly flirt."

🌐

Alec booms with laughter, Royal near holding me up with an arm around my shoulders as we sit in a more secluded booth. Raven, Corey, Gabriel, and Luke have joined our little party and mostly they just keep quiet as they watch the three of us act like fools. Very drunk fools. Gabriel's choice in drinks is not to be underestimated. The world is chaotic to my slower mind, everything delightful and hilarious. Things make less sense than usual and my skin is sensually electrified.

I lay my head back against Royal's shoulder while I down the rest of my drink. She notices my glass is empty and picks it up by the rim to rattle the ice at a passing waiter while I light a cigarette. Drinking always makes me chainsmoke.
"Get her another will you?" She asks him with a grin.

"You should've seen her, Royal! Waltzing butt ass naked through the palace courtyard because she passed out after skinny dipping in Lord Byron's prized fishing pond. The look on that Butler's face was priceless!" Alec bellows, drunker than even I.
I smirk, taking a drag. I slyly retort with the exhale of smoke from my lips, " Yes, well, you can't tell me something's off limits and expect me to behave."

Luke chokes on his drink, hiding his grin behind his hand as he looks away. Alec raises a brow, " Tell that to the poor Butler. The old bastard nearly had an aneurism when he saw the backend of you passing by. I've never seen Walt so furious."

I giggle, remembering all too well how red in the face Walt had been when he's found out Ben and I got a little wild when we were guests at an ally's property. Byron has yet to invite us back. I imagine the only reason he still gives us his support is because of Walt's talent for peacekeeping. Poor guy seems to spend just as much time smoothing over the ruckus the rest of us cause as he does for work.

The rest of our night passes by in a similar fashion - drinks poured continuously as stories are shared, a few dances with Royal and Alec, one or two with Gabriel then Luke. The air becomes heavy and hot as my sobriety becomes more and more compromised, yet I feel lighter and more at ease. After the hellacious week I've had, this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I'm giggling at Royal's story about a wild orgy she accidentally became a part of when my eyes turn away from her and land on Raven. He's already staring at me, those aged paper irises gleaming with wolffish hunger. He pulls a toothpick out of his shirt pocket, never once blinking as he puts it in his mouth to chew. His slightly plump lips - thin but swollen as if he'd been kissing someone roughly just moments before - twitch up in a smirk. He's practically devouring me with his eyes alone, tongue lapping sensually at the sharp point of the toothpick in his mouth like he tastes blood and is ready to hunt.

I'm entranced, lost in the filthy promises in his gaze. There's no telling what bad ideas I would've had if not for Sean placing his hand on my shoulder from behind and effectively startling me from my trance. I nip my tongue which is probably why I look so irritated when I look up at him once I've turned around. Royal keeps her arm around me, though lower at my stomach where her open palm rests.

Sean stares at her hand curiously. When he looks back at my face there's about a dozen questions flying through his pretty head. If I didn't have suspicions about two of their faction already, I'd suspect him of being prejudiced. He doesn't look perturbed however. If anything his face has softened and he gives me a sweet smile, " I'm sorry, Callaia. I didn't mean to startle you. Is this your girlfriend?"

The others blurt out various replies so fast I don't even get to think about ways to mess with him. I'm slightly pouting by the time everyone's said their piece.
"NO! She's just someone she plays with from time to time!"
"She likes guys too."
"Calla doesn't seem fond of commitment."

Royal and I share a bland look of distaste before Alec and I look at one another with brows raised. Corey sighs, giving me an apologetic grimace.
Sean clears his throat, hiding a smile behind a fist. His eyes look sideways down at me, that grinch green gleaming mischievously, " Oh? Seems you have a greedy palate."

Not happy with any of them at the moment, I bite out and look away, " I just have vast tastes."
Royal rubs her hand up and down my arm, Alec bristling like a parent ready to rumble. I'm not accustomed to discussing my sex life. No one in my circle cares one way or the other. As Royal says, I have more passion than any one person can claim or tame. It's a part of me, and no one bats an eye when I indulge.

I love the human body, particularly against my own. The delicate touch of a woman, the coarse grip of a man, or even a mixture of both - each holds a special place. Some times the creature inside of me desires to play with a woman, other times it desires to be played by a man. I'm fickle and discontent to settle for one or the other. At least for now. I suppose I can't pretend to know how I'll feel in the future. Maybe one day I'll settle down more. It's unlikely, but I'll never pretend to know my future. In fact, I think it's exactly because of my uncertain future that I'm so indecisive and give myself without restraint to others.

I'm even more tempted than usual now that I know Paw won't be around for much longer. Everything is uncertain, tomorrow not promised for anyone. It makes me feel impulsive, like I'll burst out of my skin if I don't release the tension somehow. Right now, I'm craving control. Everything else is a mess and I feel like I've been snatched off my feet by the ankle. So I'm hungry, ravenous for flesh and touch, anything to ground my mind. Which is exactly why I refuse to be with Royal tonight. She doesn't deserve to see me like that. I'll either shatter or ruin the image she has of me in her heart. I'll either burst into tears once the tension bleeds from my ravaged body, or take it out on her in ways I've never done before.

Royal is a particular sort of lover - one who adores sensual caresses and playful teasing. She likes to draw things out, but not too much, just enough to make me ache and writhe. She's always in control though. Always.

And I don't think I can give that to her tonight. Royal is too dear to me to risk that.

Sean watches me, those eyes of his honing in on every little shift in my demeanor. Gone is his teasing, in place is concern.

Irate now, I catch Alec's eyes. Between us comes an understanding, a plan in place. I turn to Royal and give her a soft smile, " Walk me to the door?"
Royal sighs sadly, as she always does when I leave. She once told me as she cradled me to her body, that she knows that whatever I do for work is dangerous, that she knows each time we part ways may be the last time she sees me. She understands nothing permanent will ever happen between us. She's not fond of the idea of dating one person either, but she does care. And she worries. She worries something will happen to me and she'd never know.

She's a dear friend.

🌐

C A L L A I A

S O S O E S T A T E

Alec and I stumble into the shrubbery around the wall to the estate, giggling and drunk off our asses. Leaving Royal as I did put a bad taste in my mouth, so we decided to hit a liquor store and finish the party like a couple of high schoolers. It has to be around four in the morning, hours after we left The Cat's Meow. The Blackbourne-Toma Faction is likley already tucked into bed by now.

It's all as we planned, I think to myself with a drunken snicker. Alec leads the way, giggling every two seconds to himself with his hand held behind him like he's waiting for me to grab it. I stumble one step too many into his back. Both of us snicker quietly as we try to right one another.

I go first this time, peeking around the stone archway with the side gate keeping us from the estate. The guards are hitting their late night stupor, blinking dumbly at the road. Verifying that they're too out of it to notice any ruckus we may cause, I gesture to Alec and both of us walk backwards towards the tiny iron fence that is hidden well behind the bushes. It's hardly ever used these days, though from what I understand it'd been where the maids came and went when they went on errands way back when. Out of sight, out of mind had been the purpose of the gate. Which works dandy fine for our purposes tonight.

Alec lends me his interlocked hands after I toss my heels over the top. I'm nowhere near graceful as I practically stomp my foot into them and brace myself against the gate. Both of us chuckle, Alec going as far as to hiccup. He gives me a push over, but it's too enthusiastic and I find myself half dangling over the edge.

"Fuck, shit, Alec," I grumble.
He snickers, gleeful as he looks up at me. He tries to take a step in my direction, but somehow trips over his own feet and face plants the gate. It rattles pretty violently, but I'm too busy laughing to notice.

"Sorry," he whispers pisspoorly. I roll my eyes, all grins at this point, and toss my leg over the gate. I'm nearly ready to throw over my other leg when violent yelping comes towards us full throttle from the bushes. We share a panicked look.

Next thing I know I've fallen off the gate into the yard and he's scrambling to climb over on his own. He falls just as hard as I had on his ass. Both of us sit up with a grimace, each rubbing sore parts of their body, as we take in the neighbor's asshole chihuahua in its pastel pink and black peacoat.
"I fucking hate that dog," I growl, trying to figure out how to work my feet and legs at the same time.

Alec spits at the little fiend, " You and me both, girlie."

The guards heard the ruckus if their growing in volume voices are anything to go by. I'm so drunk I freeze, panicking a bit. Alec has no such qualms about it and snatches me by the arm. He starts running like an olympian with me barely stumbling upright behind him.

It isn't until we reach the back porch that we stop. Neither of us are in the shape to be running like that so it isn't any surprise that both of us collapse against the side of the estate. Alec's panting like he's about to lose a lung and it has me falling to my side in a fit of giggles. He snorts, hand flopping aimlessly as he tries to pop me.

"Shut up. I'm getting way too old to be trying to keep up with you anymore."
I get up with a grin and pull on his hand to help him stand, " That's why you can't take age lying down or you'll be as shit a drunk as Walt is."
Alec looses his footing because he finds that way funnier than it actually is. I let go of him without a fight, just barely having gotten myself up once.

Alec flops about for a minute or to, too busy laughing at nothing whatsoever to figure out how his feet work. I'm obviously plastered because I let my guard down while I snicker at him mimicking a fish out of water.

This is probably why I end up on my ass again when all the backyard lights turn on at once, blinding me and giving me a pre-hangover headache. Cursing up a storm, I take it lying down, more worried about covering my poor eyes than whatever the hell that was.

Laughter fills the air over me, and two pairs of hands help me up.
" Jesus fuck...," I grumble, too scared to uncover my eyes. I rather like seeing. This is way too similar to the time we were breaking into a Korean warehouse. We got caught that time too and they blinded us with spotlights in the process until I couldn't think straight. I'd seriously thought I'd been shot and was seeing the white light or whatever.

"Go on without me, Calla. I'm done for," Alecs slurs like a drama queen. It's enough to make me uncover my eyes so I can properly roll them. Instantly I'm met with a grinning Sean, who's way too amused with the situation and Marc, who's just standing there smirking and holding me up.

Marc doesn't hesitate to pick me up in his arms and take me inside, " Come on beautiful. Let's get you to bed before you decide to pass out on the front lawn. I'm sure your grandma would love to find that first thing in the morning."
I smirk despite my annoyance. I take great pleasure in that woman's misery.

"I'll be up there shortly once I've gotten him settled. Can you give me a hand, Raven?" Sean calls out. A heavy hand ruffles my hair, accompanied with a deep rumbling chuckle. It's what makes me realize my eyes closed. I squint up at Marc, who is way too pleased right now. He glances down at me briefly, catching the disgruntled look on my face. He smirks, but says nothing as he makes his way through the hallway the Faction has been settled in.

God, if Blackbourne sees me like this I'll die a little inside...

When we make it to my door, Marc has no problem at all shifting me entirely to one arm so he can open it with his other. He's surprisingly considerate, only turning on two lamps instead of the overhead chandelier that'd surely finish me off after what they already put me through in the yard.

It's just as I'm set down on the edge of my bed that Sean comes in, shutting the door quietly behind him. His eyes immediately seek me out, lighting up with humor and exasperation. Running his fingers through his hair, he shakes his head and says, " My, oh my, what in the world did you two get into after you vanished? Owen's already biting at the bit that you slipped away. When he finds out you've been flouncing about the city getting hammered, he's going to blow a gasket."

I roll my eyes, "Ask me if I care."

Marc chuckles, turning away from us to my closet, " What do you usually sleep in? I'll grab it for you."

As if discussing the weather, I lean back on my hands - just barely managing to catch myself before I fall over like a sloppy drunk - and droll out, " Whatever I have underneath my clothes usually."

Sean's eye bulge, hand to his forehead. Marc's head peeks out of my closet like a meerkat, blinking stupidly as his eyes travel along my body, " Really, now? I can completely understand the reasoning behind that. Clothes are so constricting after all..."

"Shut up, Marc, " Sean groans. He stalks towards me, eyes hard and determined, " Be that as it may, you're at least putting on a shirt tonight. I'm not leaving you alone tonight until I'm certain you're not going to keel over from alcohol poisoning."

This puts me in a foul mood immediately. Sitting up straight, I grind out, " I beg your pardon?"
Sean obviously has acquired some tolerance to me, as he simply crosses his arms and stares me down like a misbehaving child, " You heard me. You put down a lot at the club. God knows what else you tried drowning yourself with afterwards. There's no doubt about it, you're going to feel like hell in the morning."

That was slightly the point. I turn my glower to Marc, cursing myself for being in this position in the first place. He holds his hands up as if fending off a wild bear. His face doesn't match his body language though. He's grinning like a devil, like a cat who found all the cream, " Now, now, pretty girl. Best listen to the doctor. I'll stick around too so you won't have to worry about your virtue."

The eat-shit-and-die look on my face is involuntary, but I've lost all facial control after deciding downing a bottle of tequila would be a good chaser for the bottle of rum Alec and I shared. It was a small bottle of tequila in my defense. My unnatural alcohol tolerance comes from hanging around a bunch of ex-cons and soldiers. Hennessy in particular gets to brag the most about my downfall. None of the people we hang around can just sit down like good humans and behave. If some form of gambling and an entire bar's liquor stock isn't involved, no one's having fun. Add in the fact that Hennessy, Declan, and I like to let off some steam with a good old fashioned bar fight, and it's a wonder I'm not dead already.

I got lost in my head too long, because I'm suddenly jerked back out of it when Sean starts pulling my dress off my shoulders. My already unzipped dress to boot.

"God damn it, I can undress myself!" I curse while jerking away from him. Sean is practically glowing he's so happy with the situation I've found myself in. He can't even stop grinning when he replies to me with, " That may have been true at midnight, but you can't even see straight anymore. I'm a doctor. I've seen everything and then some. So just relax and let us help you into bed. You're going to need all the rest you can get after this little stunt."

"I will gut you like a pig, I swear to god, " I growl out. I've been able to keep an air of distance and decorum around their faction thus far. That's gone to absolute shit tonight. My bad decision to get shit-faced is letting them get a front row seat at the Callaia only my comrades see. The Foundation's secret agents are truly no better than the military are in their bunkers. Even Gabriella and I have become foul mouthed drunks from time to time. Case and point, tonight.

They'll never look at me the same way. They'll look at me as a young brat putting on airs and all respect gained will be down the proverbial drain.

Sean throws his head back and laughs, " I have no doubt you could, but I'd like to think we're better friends than that now."

"We aren't friends," I grumble petulantly while Marc finishes tugging down my dress over my hips. Sean's all smiles as he turns the oversized shirt inside out, " Callaia, after tonight, can you really say that? You've officially let loose around us. Something none of us thought you were capable of."

Marc chuckles in reply, " I honestly didn't think she could. She struts around here like she's the Queen of the castle and rules with an iron fist. Who knew you could act twenty all along?"

I will be leaving them to the Russians, mark my words.

The shirt is pulled over my head gently, Marc helping get my arms where they should go, " So this Royal of yours...is she one of your playthings?"

I slap Sean's hand away violently and stand to my feet. The world may be spinning, but I do a good job of standing tall like the Commander I am, " You will keep her out of this. I don't want to hear another damn word about her out of your mouth."
Sean blinks at me, shocked but not offended. He holds his hands out and makes sure to keep his words gentle," I didn't mean anything by it, Callaia. I was merely asking if she was one of your lovers. You were very frank about the fact that you like your lovers tonight. I didn't think it'd offend you or I wouldn't have said it."

"Royal isn't a just a quick fuck I snatched up. She's a dear friend of mine and I'll be damned if you think you get to stand there in my room and talk about her like that," I snarl out.
Marc places his hands on my shoulders from behind. I try to jerk them off, but he holds firm, " Honey, calm down. We're both sorry. We didn't realize she meant so much to you. We're still learning you and we'll fuck up again without a doubt. Just call us out on our shit and we'll nip it in the bud. Okay?"

I'm admittedly overprotective when it comes to those I care for, but I'll be damned if I'll admit it to these bastards. I jerk away from Marc and stare at the wall, " Got it."

Exhaustion hits me, that little spat taking more than I had to give. I feel even more drunk than before and it takes everything in me to hide it from them. Sean, keen eyed as he is, says nothing but doesn't miss a thing either. He gently leads me to my bed, jerking his chin towards it at Marc. Sean hold my arms, walking behind me as he leads me at my own pace, " That's it, sweetheart. Nice and slow."

It's all one big blur after he says that, the liquor hitting me like punches to the brain until I barely can recognize Marc's warm hands brushing my hair back after he'd pulled the covers over me.
I barely even heard his whispered, " We'll figure each other out in no time, beautiful."
I barely registered Sean mumbling to him, " Can you call in to the kitchen for water and a light breakfast for her? She's going to feel like hell."

Marc's barely muffled snickering is the last tangible thing I can grasp ahold off before I sink into a deep slumber. It's almost too deep, but I'm thankful for it nonetheless. Lately it feels like sleep is a luxury I rarely get to indulge in.

🌐

(A/n: Holy fuck this one ended up long. Which is crazy because the outline was literally a Scribble for - Calla goes out to party with Alec and makes a fool of herself by the end of it. It was NOT meant to be this long but here we are.

What do you guys think about this chapter?

If there's any typos and inconsistencies, I'll be going back to fix them in the edit after the next chapter. I'm planning this book by the actual books in the original. So next chapter would technically be where book one would end. So I'll stop briefly while I work on other projects and edit this section. Then I'll plan 'book 2' and go from there. It's just the easiest way to handle this particular story lol.

I'll be focusing heavily on Game Sync Life the next two weeks. It should be done by then. There's only seven chapters, three glitches, and four transmissions left. The glitches and transmissions are usually easier too so I barely count those.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...
145K 8.2K 31
I had a choice. Either way I was losing them though. But I'd rather they keep breathing. Living a life without me. So I protected them. Faked my d...
4K 309 14
Sang Sorenson a woman with power. A ghost. A legend. A myth. Many think she's a just an old wives-tale in the Academy. One who can complete any missi...
20.2K 1.1K 62
A young girl named Sang Sorenson has had a rough life. Since she was very little, all she can remember is pain and suffering. She does not really rem...