Invisible String {2} TW

By poultergeist

In which Ayla Hale realizes her new pack is her family now. Book 2 of the Ayla Hale Trilogy Season 3 and 4 of... More

Invisible String
Part One
Ch. 1 Tattoo
Ch. 2 Chaos Rising
Ch. 3 Fireflies
Ch. 4 Unleash
Ch. 5 Frayed
Ch. 6 Motel California
Ch. 7 Currents
Ch. 8 Visionary
Ch. 9 The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Ch. 10 The Overlooked
Ch. 11 Alpha Pact
Ch. 12 Revelations: Lunar Eclipse
Part Two
Ch. 1 Anchors
Ch. 2 More Bad Than Good
Ch. 3 Galvanize
Ch. 4 Illuminated
Ch. 5 Silverfinger
Ch. 6 Riddled
Ch. 7 Letharia Vulpina
Ch. 8 Echo House
Ch. 9 The Fox and the Wolf
Ch. 10 De-Void
Ch. 11 Insatiable
Ch. 12 The Divine Move
TO AU Idea
Part Three
Ch. 1 The Dark Moon
Ch. 2 117
Ch. 3 Muted
Ch. 4 The Benefactor
Ch. 5 I.E.D.
Ch. 6 Orphaned
Ch. 7 Weaponized
Ch. 9 Perishable
Ch. 10 Monstrous
Ch. 11 A Promise to the Dead
Ch. 12 Smoke and Mirrors
Book Three

Ch. 8 Time of Death

291 10 2
By poultergeist

THE PLAN
[4×08]

AFTER THE EVENTS AT THE HIGH SCHOOL, THEY HAD DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO END THIS DEADPOOL. And Scott had about the worst possible plan to do it. Ayla hated it- something she had voiced multiple times now. It wasn't that the others disagreed, they just weren't fighting the alpha nearly as much as she was. But she still stood in the kitchen with him, Stiles, Kira, Liam and Piper.

"Is three enough?" Kira wondered, glancing at the three laptops they had laid out on the table.

"Depends on how many cameras they have, but I think so," Stiles told them.

"Are we really doing this?" Liam wondered.

"Hopefully not," Ayla muttered.

Scott sent her a look. "We're doing it. Tonight," he told the betas.

"But isn't it kind of dangerous?" Liam asked.

"It's incredibly dangerous and borderline idiotic," Stiles told him.

"Thank you, Velma," Ayla told him.

"You're welcome, Scrappy," he said. Ayla glared at him for the nickname, and he just glared back.

Liam glanced between the two in confusion, before turning to the alpha. "Have you guys done something like this before?" he inquired.

"Something dangerous or something idiotic?" Stiles wondered.

"Because we've done both," Ayla told him with a forced smile.

"I mean, two people here died for sixteen hours and came out of it fine," Piper reminded.

"Huh?" Liam asked.

Ayla shook her head. "We're- we're not getting into that today. Because I physically and mentally can't at this point," she told him.

Liam looked down at the table, clearly not liking this. "You don't have to be part of it if you don't want to," Scott told him.

"I'm not scared," Liam told them.

"Then you're borderline idiotic," Stiles responded.

"We're all borderline idiotic for considering this, and we're actually idiotic for going through with it," Ayla said.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to either," Scott reminded her.

Ayla looked at him, sighing. "As I've said, you may be an idiot, but you're my idiot. I'm doing this if you are," she told him.

"Yep, still disgusting," Piper muttered. Ayla turned around to send her a look as she smirked at her friend.

"If we do this, we don't know what's coming for us. You know that, right?" Stiles asked them.

"How do we even know something's definitely coming?" Kira wondered.

"Because the tape from Garrett's bag said visual confirmation is required," Scott explained.

"Simon said the same thing," Stiles added, referring to the man that had been at the PSAT. The guy who had infected everyone with the ink they used to put their thumb prints on the test booklet. He had then tried to kill Stiles when he couldn't find any of them. Scott's father had shot him in the head before he could do the same to Stiles, hence Ayla's vision of her friend covered in blood. "He couldn't get paid by the Benefactor until he had proof that you guys were dead."

"So the idea is, what if you kill someone on the deadpool, but you can't send the proof?" Scott asked.

"You don't get paid," Kira guessed.

"But how does that get us any closer to the Benefactor?" Liam wondered.

"He still needs to know if the target is really dead," Scott said.

"Especially if it's someone high on the list," Stiles put in.

"So, if he wants visual confirmation..."

"He's going to have to come get it himself," Scott told his new beta.

|

The plan was to make it seem like Scott was dead so that the Benefactor would want to see the body. They were going to have Kira electrocute the alpha to slow his heart almost to a stop.

He was currently laying on his bed, while Ayla, Piper, Liam, Kira and her mother all stood around him. The younger beta was pacing at the back of the room. "Are you guys totally sure about this?" Liam wondered.

"I think Liam's kind of nervous. Maybe you should tell him it's going to be all right," Kira told the alpha. Both him and Ayla could literally smell the anxiety coming off of the kitsune. She clearly didn't want to do this.

"It's going to be all right," Scott told her, before turning to Ayla. He had ahold of the she-wolf's hand. "Okay?"

She frowned at him, but nodded. "Yeah," she agreed.

"So, you've done this before, right?" Liam asked Mrs. Yukimura.

"I've seen it done," she told him.

"Is that just as good?" he wondered.

"No," she admitted.

"Mom, you're not inspiring confidence," Kira snapped.

"Good. This is a terrible idea," Mrs. Yukimura told her daughter.

"Do you want us to do it without you?" Kira asked her.

The woman frowned at her daughter, before holding out her hand over Scott's chest. "Put your hand over his heart," she told Kira. She then glanced at Ayla. "It would be wise for you to let go."

Ayla frowned down at her and Scott's hands. She looked at Scott, and he gave her a nod. She let go, taking a step back.

Kira sat down on the bed, moving to place her hand on Scott's chest. He caught her wrist before she could. "Hold on," he said, sitting up and turning to Mrs. Yukimura. "What happens while I'm out? Am I gonna feel anything?"

"It might feel like you're dreaming," she told him.

"Good dreams or bad?" he wondered.

"I suppose that depends on you," she told him.

Scott frowned for a moment, before laying back on the bed. Kira placed her hand on his chest, and sparks began to come off both of them. Scott gasped in one last breath, before his heart seemed to stop.

|

All of them met in the hospital morgue after an ambulance took Scott's body there. Of course, that meant Melissa had been brought in on everything. So her, Ayla, Piper, Stiles, Liam, Kira and Mrs. Yukimura all stood around the alpha's body together.

"I still hate this plan. I mean this is pretty significantly terrifying. He looks dead," Melissa told them.

"He kind of is dead," Piper reminded.

The woman gave her a look, and Ayla sighed. "Pipes," she muttered.

"Okay, sorry," Piper apologized, looking at the ground.

"Give me your hand," Mrs. Yukimura told the other mother.

Melissa turned to Stiles and Ayla, who were both standing right next to her. "It's okay," Stiles assured her. Ayla nodded.

The nurse reluctantly gave the other woman her hand, which Mrs. Yukimura placed against Scott's chest. "Wait for it." Melissa let out a sigh of relief as she felt her son's heart beating slowly.

"Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?" she wondered.

"Enough for an alpha," Mrs. Yukimura told her.

"How much time do we have?" Melissa asked.

"Forty-five minutes," Mrs. Yukimura answered.

"What happens after that?" she inquired.

"I bring him back the same way," Kira told her.

"No, I mean what happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes?" Melissa wondered.

"No one's told her?" Mrs. Yukimura asked.

"What? What happens after forty-five minutes?" Melissa questioned.

"He dies," Mrs. Yukimura informed her.

Melissa stared at the woman, and Ayla quickly took her hand. "But that's not gonna happen," she assured her. She turned to Kira. "You're going to bring him back before the forty-five minutes are up," she said, matter of factly. The kitsune reluctantly nodded.

|

Melissa found them a vacant hospital room to set up the three laptops in. Chris Argent wired them into the security cameras, and the five teenagers all stood around the laptops watching for any sign of the Benefactor.

They were all watching when one camera suddenly cut out. "Is that supposed to look like that?" Liam wondered.

"No. No, it's not," Stiles told him.

"Where is that?" Kira asked.

"The roof. Someone's gonna have to check it out," Stiles told them.

"I'll go," Kira decided.

"What? You realize that someone probably cut the camera, right?" her girlfriend asked.

Kira smiled at her. "That's why I'm bringing this," she replied, holding up her katana. Piper frowned at her. "I'll be fine," the kitsune promised, before walking towards the door.

"I'm coming with you," Liam decided, following her.

"Hey!" Ayla called, making both stop. The she-wolf sighed. "Be careful."

Both nodded. "And you're both coming right back. Immediately," Stiles told them as they rushed out of the room. He sighed once they were gone. "Kids," he muttered.

Ayla sent him a look. "You're complaining, yet I'm the one who had to stay here to babysit your asses," she told him, gesturing to him and Piper.

Stiles sent her a look, while Piper just smiled at her friend.

|

The two of them did not come back quickly. The power went out, killing all the cameras. So the three of them headed into the hall to look for their friends and go keep an eye on Scott. The lights in the hall were flickering as they walked.

The three came around a corner, finding Chris Argent. On instinct, the man pulled his gun and pointed it at the teenagers. Well, more accurately pointed it at Ayla, while Stiles and Piper hid behind the super-healing she-wolf.

"That may not kill me, but I will be pissed," Ayla warned.

The man rolled his eyes at her and put the gun away. "The power's out in the whole building. I lost all the cameras," Stiles told him.

"Stay with Scott. Text me if you see or hear anything," Argent told them. He checked his watch, which showed that they only had eighteen minutes left until Scott died.

|

The three teenagers all stood in the morgue as they waited on Kira and Liam to come back. Ayla was pacing. She sighed as she recalled the last time she had talked to Scott.

|A Few Hours Earlier|

The two werewolves were laying on Scott's bed. Ayla had her back to him, and she could feel his arm looped around her waist. "How long are you going to be mad at me for this?" he wondered, and she could feel his breath against her neck. God, he made it difficult to be mad at him.

"I'm not mad," she admitted. "I just think you're an idiot."

"I'm your idiot," he reminded, quoting what she had said earlier that morning.

Ayla turned her head to send him a look, but he just smiled at her. "What?" she asked.

"Just thinking about the fact that we've never actually been on a real date," he told her.

"When have we had time to go on a real date?" she wondered.

"We could make time," he told her.

"Yeah, when? While people on this deadpool are still being murdered?" she asked.

"Maybe after that," he said.

Ayla nodded. "Because we won't have another crisis by then?" she wondered.

"We can make time for one date," Scott reminded.

She sighed. "Fine. We could have a movie night or something. I used to do those all the time, and now I barely get the chance to watch anything," she told him.

"Sounds like a plan," he agreed.

"A good plan, unlike the one for tonight," she replied.

"Ayla," Scott warned.

"I'm serious," she said, sitting up so she could fully turn to face him. "I hate this plan."

"I'll be fine," he assured her.

"What if you're not? Scott, in case my whole break down after Derek went missing didn't make it clear, I'm done losing people I care about," she snapped.

"Mrs. Yukimura said it had to be a werewolf, and it needs to be someone high on the list," Scott reminded.

"Great, use me," Ayla offered.

"No!" Scott said, adamantly.

"No? Don't you see the hypocrisy in that? You don't want to lose me, so you won't let me do it. Yet you expect me to let you," she told him.

He sighed, sitting up. "It's riskier if you do it. I'm the alpha. I have a better chance of surviving," he reminded.

Ayla frowned at him, but she knew he did have a point. "I would most likely be fine," she told him.

"And I will be fine, okay?" he asked her. She gave him a nod, while she messed with the comforter on his bed. "How long are you gonna pout about it?"

Ayla looked up to glare at him. "I will kick your ass," she warned.

Scott managed a chuckle at the threat, which only annoyed her further. "I think that might be harder than last time," he informed her with a smirk.

"Do not forget who threw your ass around Hale House," she told him.

"I wasn't alpha then," he reminded.

Ayla narrowed her eyes at him, and he thought she was about to argue. She instead pushed him back on the bed, suddenly on top of him. He looked up at her in surprise, but a smirk was still teasing at his lips. "Yeah, but we both know you wouldn't have survived to become alpha without me," she reminded.

"That's... That's a good point," he agreed, but his focus was clearly no longer on the conversation.

Ayla now had a smirk of her own as she connected her lips to his. Scott's hands found her hips as their lips moved in sync for a moment. Scott's head fell back onto his pillow as Ayla kissed down his jaw and onto his neck. "Everyone's gonna be here soon," he somehow managed to say.

"Just shut up for five minutes," Ayla told him, reconnecting her lips to his.

|Present|

The she-wolf frowned at the memory now. They only had sixteen minutes left and there was still no sign of anyone else. No Benefactor, no Liam, no Argent, no Kira. The plan was failing, and she was starting to really worry about how bad it was going to go.

"Maybe I should go check on Kira and Liam?" Piper asked, moving towards the door. Ayla started to stop her, but she didn't have to. The doors flew open, Argent falling through them. He landed on the ground in front of the three teenagers. The Hale stepped forward, moving in front of her two friends as a familiar scent hit her.

"I was right. Get out of here," Chris told the teenagers. Before any of them could move, into the room walked Kate Argent. Chris Argent quickly got up off the floor, while the three teenagers stood protectively in front of slot that held Scott's body.

Kate smiled as she took in Ayla and her glowing eyes. "Get out of the way, Ayla. I'm taking the body," she told her.

"Not a chance in hell," Ayla growled.

"What? You need visual confirmation?" Stiles asked the woman. Ayla glanced back at him, before turning to take in Kate's expression.

"Don't worry, handsome. I'm not the Benefactor," Kate told him.

"Then what do you want with the body?" Argent wondered.

"I wish I could tell you," Kate responded, walking towards them.

Her brother charged towards her, managing to get the barrel of his gun just below her chin. "I always forget that you carry two," she muttered.

"Back off!" Argent yelled at his sister.

"You sure you can pull the trigger fast enough?" she wondered.

"I don't want to," he told her.

"You're not going to kill me," Kate told him.

"I'm not going to let you take his body," Chris said.

"Okay, well, obviously you guys have a lot to talk about, so maybe I saw some coffee, a vending machine outside," Stiles told them.

"Stiles, shut up," Ayla told him.

"Listen to me, Kate. We have a plan," Argent informed his sister.

"If killing Scott was part of it, you're worse than me," Kate told him.

"He's telling the truth. We're trying to get to the Benefactor," Stiles told her.

"If you didn't notice, you're on that list too. And you're worth more than most," Argent reminded her.

"That's why I'm here," she told him.

"Then back off and let us do what we planned," he told her. She twisted his wrist, seeing the count down on his watch. They had three minutes left. "Take the berserkers, and go. Kate, please. We have a plan," he begged.

|

A part of Ayla was screaming about how much it wanted to kill Kate instead of letting her walk out the door. The more logical part reminded her that Kate wasn't her main focus right now. That was getting Scott back before time ran out.

Kate called off her berserkers and left, and Kira came back. The kitsune shocked the alpha, and Scott gasped in air and tried to sit up. He was trapped to the table by the tight morgue sheet around him, however. "Oh, thank God," Ayla muttered in relief. Scott looked up at her in surprise, and she gave him a forced smile. She leaned down and kissed the alpha. He freed one of his hands from the morgue sheet, reaching up to cup her face.

"What happened? Did it work?" he asked her.

Ayla looked at him, not wanting to answer. This plan had almost gotten him killed, and it hadn't even worked. "All I care about right now is that we're all still alive," she mumbled.

Scott frowned, but didn't have time to respond. Liam ran into the room, his eyes immediately falling on Kira. "What?" she asked.

"It's your mother... She's hurt," he told her.

|

Later that night, both Kira and Piper sat on the human girl's bed with their fingers intertwined.

"My mom's being taken to a hospital in Palo Alto. They actually put her in a helicopter," Kira told her.

"But she's going to be okay?" Piper asked. The woman had been stabbed by one of the berserkers at the hospital.

"Yeah. She just doesn't heal like she used to," Kira said, staring down at her lap. "I need to be there with her. Especially if she's still on the list."

"I know," Piper told her, squeezing her hand. She gave her girlfriend a smile. "I have school, but I can come annoy you and your family this weekend."

Kira managed a chuckle. "My mother might actually have you escorted out by hospital security," she warned.

"You think they can get me out?" Piper asked, pretending to be offended.

Kira rolled her eyes, but she was smiling like Piper had wanted. "It's okay. I'll see you whenever you get back," Piper assured her. Kira nodded, and leaned forward to kiss the other girl.

|

At the McCall house, Scott was sitting on his bed with his slightly overbearing girlfriend. Melissa had decided that he shouldn't be driving after he had been practically dead for almost forty-five minutes, so she had taken both of them back to the house. Ayla had basically been by his side since the second he woke up.

Ayla checked her phone, seeing a message from Derek. She sighed. It was the middle of the night, so she wasn't surprised that he was a little concerned about where she was.

"What is it?" Scott wondered.

"I may not have mentioned this plan to Derek, and instead just snuck out because he no longer has werewolf hearing to use to catch me," she admitted.

"You need to get home," Scott guessed.

"Unfortunately. Derek will eventually just come looking for me, and Lucifer's probably shredding my curtains," she told him.

"I need to get back to the hospital anyway. They want to do a bunch of tests since I was kind of officially dead," he told her.

Ayla frowned as she realized that they hadn't exactly figured out an explanation for that in their plan. "I'm guessing Liam's dad has a lot of questions," she said.

"Yeah," Scott told her.

She sighed. "I just wish that this had worked. Instead, Kira's mom is in the hospital and you almost died. It should've worked," she told him.

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. And actually, I think maybe it did work. Not that I know exactly who the Benefactor is, but we might know a lot more about him now," he told her.

"Scott, he never came to get visual confirmation," she reminded.

"That's why it might've worked. Think about it. Who has the power to know when someone's dead, but doesn't need to see the body to know it happened?" he asked her.

Ayla frowned. "You think the Benefactor is a banshee," she realized.

Nothing very special in this chapter, but we got some couple content. Plus I feel like the whole Kate scene showed some character development for Ayla.

Please vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 138 18
On the hunt to save herself from the painfully slow death her elders had ensued upon her, a careless witch meets a gaurded beta. What could go wrong...
121K 3.3K 39
| Book One | The Alpha pack come into the town of Beacon Hills and more than one Hale comes back with it. With their packs fighting can Isaac and Y...
64.1K 1.3K 24
(Completed) "You're not a monster you're a werewolf like me." What if Scott McCall had a younger sister? What is she was born a werewolf? What if s...
154K 2.7K 31
~only evil can punish evil~ Nina Hale never asked to be thrown into a bank vault in the very town that murdered her family. She wanted a fresh start...