76th Annual Hunger Games

By StoriesInTheHowls

This is a roleplay me and my friend were doing on my game site.....we had no idea what they called the hoverc... More

The 76th Annual Hunger Games

73 0 1
By StoriesInTheHowls

I know so many of you are going to snicker at one particular word.....HoverBros. That's what we (me and my partner) planned to call the hovercrafts. And I REALLY want to know if you root for any ships....I do. And if you love this little short roleplay.....vote, comment, and reccomend! Enjoy!!!

Vincent stood in the district center, staring up at the stage. It was Reaping Day again, and the gray-haired boy was all but enthusiastic. His name had only been entered about four times, so he wasn't worried. The Capitol person finally made her way to the stage. She waved gracefully, gave a speech, and turned to the past Victors who had assembled behind her. There were about twenty. The entire crowd held their breath as she turned back and reached into the large ball holding the girl's names. Juniper Sails. Everyone cheered as the girl made her way to the stage, but several girls stepped in an volunteered instead. Holly Williams was chosen instead. As the woman reached into the boy's holder of papers, Vincent leaned forward, praying it wouldn't be him. But it was. His blood ran cold as the crowd parted to let him through. Someone will volunteer, he thought, trying to calm himself. Vincent stood before the crowd, scanning the boys side for anyone willing to take his place. Why wasn't anyone saying anything? He suddenly felt sick to his stomach. Did they hate him that much?

Zakia grumbled, she hated Reaping day. Her hair was up in a pony tail. A bright and vibrant colored flower that was popular in trade adorned her lovely hair. She looked around. She had passed by the blood prick area. Her mother smiled weakly. It wasnt likely she would get picked but they didnt doubt that fact. She had no family to come back for, so dying in the Hunger Games seemed reasonable for her. The lady picked a name out of the girls glass bowl. The name paralyzed her. Zakia Grintel . She had been called. Nobody had a clue who she was, no volunteers. She walked up to the stage, adrenaline coursing.

The next few days involved train rides, fancy food, training, "beautifying", and lots of smiling for Vincent. He hated all of the cameras pointed at him, watching his every move as he spoke with the talk show host. Although, he admitted, the food was very good. He'd been raised on fish and other seafood, so things like beef, pork, and chicken were all new to him, and tastes fantastic. The Chariots were interesting, but his outfit made him look like a sexualized Poseidon. The other tributes looked slightly threatening, especially the Careers, and Vincent made a mental note to join them as soon as possible. He spoke briefly with them in the training room, and demonstrated his powerful arms by tossing weights and spears. When the assessment came around, he did the same for the Capitol people. The night before the Hunger Games, came all too quickly. Vincent lay on his bed, frustrated with it all. He really didn't want to fight, despite his District's legacy. It still bothered him that not one of his friends had stepped up to take his place. They had been so excited about it, too. Sighing, Vincent rolled over and tried his best to sleep.

Zakia refused to eat anything but bread. The Capitol had no soul. They had so much food and spared none to the starving districts. Her designer made her look like a phoenix in comparison to Katniss (The Girl on Fire) and a MockingJay. She made no friends in the training area. Nobody seemed appealed to her. Day before the Hunger Games, she feared for her life. No alliances. She looked at the boy next to her. The boy chosen from District 12 was her bully. She shied away from him.

Then came the dreaded day. Blood roaring in his ears, Vincent stepped into the pod that would take him into the Arena. He tried to stood his trembling hands. Looking back, he saw his mentor standing behind him, grinning. "You'll be great, kid!" He reassured, giving him a thumbs up. Vincent smiled awkwardly and nodded. The clear glass door slid shut, and the platform rose up to the floor of the Arena. Vincent screwed his eyes shut and against the blinding light. He couldn't see a thing.

Zakia stared at the boy next to her. He cracked his knuckles, glaring intensely at her. She flicked him off. Her mentor gave no words, only mouthing," Rest in peace ."Her eyes shot to the sharp sword. She was not to grab it immediately, flee for the surrounding area.

Forcing his eyes to open, Vincent saw that he was in a field, warmed by the harsh sunlight. I really hope there's a body of water somewhere, he thought, scanning the part of the Arena he could see. There was no water, but a thick line of trees to the right. The starting sound fires, and Vincent shot off toward the cornucopia, eyes set on a backpack and spear. He wasn't too used to running, so he trailed behind several people. Luckily, he snuck by unnoticed and grabbed what he needed. As he dodged away from an ax blow, a familiar voice called his name. Looking back, he saw it was one of the Careers ushering him to follow him. He nodded and ran alongside the Career, whose name was Wesley, and into the forest. "We'll meet up with the others at the cornucopia tonight," Wesley said. "We should find a place to hide until then."

Zakia dashed off to the trees. She climbed up one of the tallest trees, settling on a medium height branch. She didnt head for any weapons. Most of the Tributes were easily murdered for heading towards the weapons immediately.

As the sun began to set, music began playing and a bright symbol appeared in the sky. Ten people had died that day, leaving fourteen to fight for their lives. Letting out a sigh, Vincent slumped against the trunk of the tree, feeling sleepy. Suddenly, he felt a jab in his side. The gray-haired boy shot up and yelped, but his mouth was quickly covered by Wesley's hand. "We need to go, and stay quiet!" He whispered, earning a glare from Vincent. Slowly, they climbed down the tree and headed toward the cornucopia. As they walked, Vincent felt the air slowly getting colder, and looked up when a snowflake landed on his nose. It's snowing? But it was blazing hot earlier! He didn't say anything to Wesley. After meeting up with the rest of the Careers, they headed to the other side of the Arena where snow was melting and dripping from more trees. It's warm here now? Wasn't it snowing like a blizzard?

Zakia grunted. It was hot. But it was slightly cooler considering how high she was in the tree. She needed no weapon, she would just use her survival skills to live everyone out. She jumped up a little, hearing crunches. Zakia looked at a nearby mockingjay and whistled sharply. It mimicked the sharp whistle, the others following.

As Vincent followed the Careers, he noticed a sharp whistle echoing through the forest. No one else seemed bothered by it, so he did his best not to think too much about it. Finally, they came to stop at a large Ginkgo tree. Wesley turned to Vincent and asked, "Have you seen what's in your bag yet?" He slowly shook his head. The other boy sighed and said, "Well, we have plenty of time until morning. Hurry up and look." Vincent nodded and pulled the bag off of his back and zipped it open. Inside, he found a sleeping bag, a full first aid kit, and packets of apple sauce. This could last me a week, he thought, not taking into account that he might have to share with the other Careers. Closing the bag again, he picked up the sleeping bag and quickly scaled the tree. He was unsure of how he would stay on the branch when he slept. "Hey, Vinn, catch." A voice whispered up to him from below, and the gray-haired boy looked down to see Wesley offering a thick rope up to him. Thanking him, Vincent grabbed it and tied himself to the trunk of the tree. Only when he was about to doze off did he wonder, Why did Wesley call me Vinn?

Zakia climbed up higher. She starved. She didnt expect any sponsors to send her anything. Not even her mentor. She sighed. Zakia wanted to give everyone a nice lullaby, for the dead ones as well. She whistled softly, the mockingjays carrying the song across the arena.

The sun shone brightly in his eyes as Vincent awoke. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, he stretched and yawned, and looked down at the other Careers. They were still asleep. He quickly untied himself and bundled his stuff together before climbing down the tree. Wesley sat at the base of the tree, staring in the direction of the Cornucopia. As Vincent packed up, he turned to look at him. "Morning," he murmured, trying to keep quite. The other boy didn't move or respond. Feeling uneasy, Vincent turned away and picked up the spear he had taken. "I'm gonna go look for a lake or pond. Do you have a canteen I could fill?" Finally, Wesley snapped back into reality and nodded to Vincent. "Yeah, one second." Vincent took the other boy's canteen and set off West.

Zakia glanced at the cornucopia. She pondered on the idea of going for remaining supplies and weapons. She climbed down the tree, setting off to find some water source. She was parched.

After walking aimlessly for about an hour, Vincent finally stumbled upon a small pond. The water looked clear and clean, with some fish swimming around in it. Sighing, Vincent stepped into the pond and sat on the edge, feeling homesick. Would he ever see his home again? The water felt warm to the touch, probably because of the blazing sun, and Vincent relished in it for as long as he could. He picked up his spear again and jabbed it into the water with expert precision, spearing a fish and killing it instantly. He did this several times until there were enough for each Career to have two fish. Feeling as though he should head back, Vincent quickly filled up Wesley's canteen and ran back to the others.

Zakia gritted her teeth. The sound of running footsteps startled her. She dashing to a tree, climbing like a squirrel. She hid in the leaves. She looked down at the group. She growled lowly. Careers, from Districts 1 and 2. Purebreds in other words. They were trained to kill. She climbed higher and higher, hoping they wouldnt catch the rustling.

Vincent could see the familiar figures of the Careers in the distance, and slowed his pace so he wouldn't crash into them. But just as he stepped within earshot, one of the girls swiftly turned and aimed an arrow at him. Eyes wide in shock, Vincent stopped abruptly and stepped back. The girl's eyes flashed with recognition, and she lowered her weapon. "Sorry, Vincent, I didn't know it was you," she confessed, stepping toward him. "Wow, you've caught a lot of fish! Where did you find them all?" Vincent quickly explained that there was a pond over to the West, and that the water was clean enough to drink, despite the fish living there. Wesley walked over and patted him on the back. "Good going! See? I told you he'd be useful!" The next hour was spent cooking the fish and eating it, telling stories of things that went on in the wealthiest Districts. Vincent told of how his father had "taught" him to swim by throwing him in a lake, and the others laughed, thinking it was a joke. But it wasn't. Vincent shrugged off the bitter feeling and continued to laugh and mess around with the others, completely forgetting he was put in the Arena to kill them all.

She sat on the branch above them, muttering softly to herself. She was one of the poor Districts, forced to live off of scraps. But she had proven to be amazing with knives and swords. She glanced up, the cornucopia in the distance. She yearned to get her hands on the hilt of a glaive, but resisted for the result could be her death. She sighed, shifting in place.

After finishing their meal, the Careers buried the bones and packed up. "Alright, let's go hunting," Wesley murmured, smiling ominously. Vincent looked at him, confused. "But we just ate," he pointed out. The other boy chuckled slightly and shook his head. "We're not hunting for food, Vinn." That sent chills up his spine. It was a very scary reminder that the people he was with were trained to murder others their own age. Gripping his spear, he nodded and looked off toward the Cornucopia. The weather was starting to shift again, getting colder the longer they stuck around. The Careers planned to move over to the other side of the Arena to gather snow before it melted; it was the easiest way of getting clean water.

Zakia exhaled shakily. She noticed the trees were close to each other. It was getting cold. The branches seemed to make a clear path for her to the other side. She glanced down. Zakia took in a deep breath and dashed amongst the branches, struggling to stay on. Unfortunately, she didnt have a smooth and soft ride. As she hopped, the branches of the trees shook violently.

Suddenly, the other Career's gazes shot up the the trees, catching Vincent off guard. He followed their gaze to a swaying branch, bending over something's weight. The others conversed with each other about what it could be: a squirrel, bird, or another tribute. The girl with the bow and arrow, Diana, slowly crept toward the tree and scaled it, staying well hidden. Vincent didn't know what to do. Should he be glad or sad if it was another tribute? Should he climb a nearby tree and help? Instead, he just stood and stared, waiting for something to happen.

Zakia yelped. She slipped on a branch. Her legs flailed as she tried to climb back on. The Careers would surely get her. Zakia was strong, she swung her legs. They swung back down in failure. She yelped again, almost losing grip. Zakia pushed herself up with her elbows, her legs still dangling.

As Diana continued to scale the tree, a person swung into view, frantically trying to climb away. Vincent almost felt bad for her. She didn't seem to have any weapons on her. Had she run into the forest the second the starting horn sounded? Diana paused on a branch to load an arrow, and aimed it at the other girl. Vincent snapped his head down as Diana let the arrow fly.

Zakia cried out, the arrow hitting her leg. She growled, tearing out her leg. She winced. Zakia looked closely at the Career, throwing the arrow back with all of her strength. Her eyes flashed and she limped through the trees.

A pained scream pierced his ears as Vincent's gaze shot back up to the trees. He frantically searched for the girl who'd been injured, but only caught a glimpse of her retreating figure. Diana jumped down from the tree, cursing. "She got away, but her leg's injured. Hopefully someone else'll finish her off," she reported, cleaning the blood from her arrow. Vincent pushed away the growing nausea as blood flicked onto the grass below, staining it red. He tried his best not to show weakness; the Careers would kill him on the spot if they thought him useless. Suddenly, a sharp, cold wind tore through the forest, chilling Vincent to the bone. Wesley told everyone that they should keep moving, so they did. Within another hour or so, they'd reached the Eastern forest. It was warm here. Turning to Wesley, Vincent murmured, "Do you think the Arena changes temperatures at the mid-marks? Like, if we stood in the middle of the Arena, would one side be cold and the other hot?" Wesley seemed perplexed by this, and he brought it up with the other Careers, who praised Vincent for his intellect. The gray-haired boy shrugged them off, saying it was obvious.

She fell, draping herself over a branch. She reached the warm side before freezing. Zakia sighed, panting heavily. She heard slow beeping. Zakia looked up, gasping in relief as something floated down from a parachute. It landed in her hands. It was a healing cream. A note attached to it.

Dont die on me! - M

Her mentor had sent this down. Did she have one ounce of mercy left for Zakia deep inside? She shrugged, applying the cream. It felt soothing, but burned. She held in her screams. She was ready if the group of Careers came after her again.

As Vincent and the other Careers set up camp, three shots rang through the Arena. Wesley immediately climbed a tree, and reported that the helicopters were headed toward the West forest. They must have frozen to death, Vincent thought morbidly, taking out his sleeping back. He looked around for a sturdy, tall tree and noticed a deer grazing in the distance. "Diana, there's a deer," he whispered, pointing to it. With a nod, the female Career grabbed her weapon and snuck off to kill it. Vincent was just about to stand up when a familiar bundle of rope plopped down in his lap. Looking up, he saw Wesley standing over him, smiling. He didn't say a word, and walked back to where he'd laid down his things. Vincent frowned and picked up the rope, slinging it over his shoulder before scaling a large birch tree. He quickly tied down his sleeping bag and climbed back down. By this time, Diana had returned with the dead deer and was dividing the meat into piles of what was edible and what was not. Feeling squeamish, Vincent walked over to Wesley, who had grabbed his battle ax. "Get your spear, Vinn," he commanded, the eerie smile returning to his face. "We still haven't gone hunting."

Zakia grumbled, the cream working slowly. She stared up. The sky was clearly an illusion. It was nothing but a picture they placed on the dome roof. She muttered and struggled to climb up higher. Zakia yelped, her beautiful blue eyes spotting the Careers nearby. She would surely be killed off if discovered. Yet fatigue overwhelmed her. Her eyes struggled to close, but she pryed them open.

Not wanting to be on the receiving end of Wesley's ax, Vincent quickly went back to pick up his spear. He followed the other boy through the forest until the sun began to set, returning without finding any other tributes. But just as the other Careers came into view, a canon blast sounded. The two Careers exchanged looks and ran over to the group. Everybody was on high alert, having heard the canon as well. "It's down to te-" -Another canon sounded- "nine. Nine Tributes," Vincent murmured, holding his spear close. The Careers shared another meal before climbing separate trees to go to sleep. Vincent climbed into his sleeping bag, tightening the rope around the trunk. He looked up to the sky as the theme played and revealed the profiles of those who had died. He stifled a sigh when he saw the girl from his district, Holly, appear on the dome. Feeling his eyelids droop, Vincent fell asleep.

Zakias eyes shot open. A hand seized her healing leg. Looking down, it was the other tribute from District 12. He absolutely despised her. For District 12, it would be her cannon shot, not the other boys. She kicked wildly at his arm, screeching. The mockingjays seemed to be attached to Zakia. They let out her piercing cries as well. She kept on kicking. His knife stabbed into her healing wound. Her eyes widened and she screamed like a banshee. He pulled out his knife, attempting to stab again.

A piercing scream immediately woke Vincent, causing him to bolt upright. Fumbling to untie the rope, he climbed down the tree and grabbed his spear, eyes wide in fear. The scream seemed to echo in all directions, almost like the whistle from a few days ago. There was one scream that sounded different, and Vincent followed it, hoping it to be the source. It was nearly pitch black, but the fake moonlight helped to light his path. The rustling of leaves and branches above him caught his attention, making him look up. There, two Tributes fought for their lives, one overpowering the other. Vincent recognized the girl as the one Diana had injured. Feeling a foreign energy surge through his blood, the gray-haired boy raised his spear and launched it at the other boy. It connected with his chest, and knocked him out of the tree. Quickly, Vincent ran over and pulled the spear from him, stepping back shakily. He had just killed someone.

Zakia stared down at the boy. She tilted her head a little, her beautiful blue eyes glowing dimly. She recognized him as one of the boys with the Career alliance. She struggled to climb up high, only to wail in pain at the opened wound again. Her eyes were filled with pure fear. It is the end for me , she thought sadly. She shook in his presence.

Vincent stared back at the girl, not knowing what to do. He knew he had to kill her, but, for some reason, he was unable to. Just as he was about to turn and walk away, Wesley came charging up behind him. "Vincent!" He hissed, trying to keep his voice down. "What are you doing? We need to stick together!" Vincent stared dumbfounded at the other boy. How did he know he had left? Why was he so upset? Silently, Vincent pointed to the body of the one he'd killed, just as the canon sounded. Grinning, Wesley patted him on the back. "Great job, Vinn! C'mon, let's get away from here so the Hover Bro can take him away." As Vincent was lead back to the camp, he glanced back at the girl, smiling briefly before turning his attention back to Wesley, who was asking him if it had been his first kill. he shrugged, not wanting to say anything.

Zakia stared. She stumbled up the tree quickly before the Career saw her. She grabbed the cream, applying it. Why would he spare her life? Anyone would have just murdered her in a second. Her curly hair was up in a pony tail now instead of its previous bun to give her more wind as she ran. She blinked her glowing blue eyes and sighed heavily.

Vincent sat on his sleeping bag, waiting for the first rays of fake sunlight to poke through the trees. Sunrise was always his favorite time of day, especially when the beautiful orange sunlight bounced off of the ocean. He was starting to feel homesick again. Stifling a yawn, the gray-haired boy watched as the sun slowly rose over the horizon, bathing the forest in sunlight. Only then did he realize that it was freezing. Shivering, he packed up his things and jumped down to the ground. The others had already started a fire and were warming up some deer meat for breakfast. "We've got to eat fast," one said. "The Western forest will be warm today, and it's already dropped at least twenty degrees here." The other Careers agreed, and placed the meat closer to the fire. Once they thought it to be warm enough, they passed the food around and ate quickly, setting off within ten minutes. While they were walking, Vincent began to think about the girl he'd seen last night. There had been no other canon fires that night, so she must have lived. But why was he so concerned? She was the enemy, as were the other Careers he was hanging around. Vincent knew he wasn't getting anywhere with this mindset, so he dismissed it.

Zakia grunted as she limped to the other side. She pondered constantly on one thing. Why did the boy spare her? She dashed over to the cornucopia. She picked up a sword, twisting the hilt. She yelped as people lunged at her. Zakia growled, swinging. 2 canon booms. She smiled, dashing off into the warm area. She had a weapon, she would be safe from the Careers. But that is what brought her to think of the boy. Foe or non? I feel weird. This surely isn't adrenaline from just killing those tributes. Why did he spare me? Thoughts bounced off her mind constantly.

As the Careers made their way to the Western forest, two canon shots fired. Vincent grew uneasy as he realized how many Tributes were left. Within the Career group, there were five Tributes: Wesley and Diana were from District 2, a girl from District 1, and a boy from District 3. He hadn't bothered to learn all of their names. Even so, he'd grown used to being around these people, and enjoyed their company. Could he really kill them? No, he thought unhappily. I'll run as soon as the next Tribute dies.

Zakia stared down. A Tribute stood there. A menacing boy. She breathed heavily. He slept on the tree trunk, leaning. Slowly she slid down the branches. She closed her eyes. Swinging her sword, it slashed into his neck. The next cannon went off. She climbed up the tree again.

Then, the canon sounded. With a pang of regret, Vincent spun on his heel and sped off North. Behind him, angry shouting arose as the other Careers gave chase. Blood roared in his ears, and foliage thwacked against his body. Finally, after what felt like hours of running, the voices stopped. He was alone. The sun was blazing fiercely now, but Vincent kept going. Suddenly, a cold wind blew from in front of him. Looking up, he saw snow. Had he reached the midway point? He searched the surrounding area for a tree that was split between the temperatures, and quickly found one, scaling it in a matter of minutes. Luckily, this tree was tall, and broke above most of the other trees. He'd be safe here. Sighing, he sat on a high branch, noticing that the ground wasn't visible from this height. He still had all of the apple sauce packets, and a full canteen of snow-water, so Vincent was positive he could wait it out until the others killed each other off, or starved.

Zakia's eyes bolted to the other side. The Careers seemed to be ranting. She laughed. Looking around, she spotted a mockingjay. She whistled quickly, a whistle not many Districts understood but it meant "Safe and sound". She doubted her safety. The Careers would surely spot her in the tree. She listened as the mockingjays carried on the secret message.

As Vincent sat in the tree, trembling with anxiety, a soft whistle sounded behind him. He turned quickly, nearly falling off the branch, to see a mockingjay. So that's why things seemed to echo here, he realized, turning to face the bird. It chirped it's tune again, and Vincent found that he recognized it. Was someone sending a message? The only other person that wasn't with the Careers was the girl he didn't kill. Could she have known he'd run? Hesitantly, he whistled back, wondering how quickly it would travel.

Zakia smiled. A reply. If it wasn't from Careers, it was from the boy who spared her. She whistled in morse code "Are you okay?". She hoped for a reply. She mostly wanted the Careers to die, they deserved it . The rich little snots.

Vincent sat in silence for a few minutes, hoping for some sort of reply. Finally, another whistle broke through. Are you okay? It took him a short while to decode it, but he got the message. His father had taught him. He whistled back, "Yes. You?"

Zakia heard the reply. She dabbed her finger on the wound she got from the arrow and the dagger."Not exactly." She replied. The cream tried to work but the cut was too deep

Vincent frowned upon hearing the newest message. Perhaps the wound would get infected? At least it would be better than killing her himself. He thought for a long time before whistling, "Middle North. Come."

Zakia held the sword close to her side. She was wary now since he was also one of the last tributes. Was this a kind invite or a trick? She shrugged, deciding to find out. Zakia set off quickly through the trees. Her leg slipped occasionally."I'm coming."She whistled.

Vincent listened intently after receiving his latest reply. Another long period of time was spent in silence. Finally, the sound of rustling leaves and footsteps came into earshot. Vincent narrowed his eyes and climbed down to a lower branch, trying to see who was below him. To his relief, he saw it was the familiar girl he'd spared. "Can you climb?" He whispered, trying not to alarm her.

She smiled."Of course I can! Did you see how high up I was in that tree when you spared me?"Zakia said. She winced though as she climbed up to sit next to him. Her sword swung slowly by her side. She grabbed the glaive, twirling it."Why did you spare me?"She asked.

Vincent chuckled a bit at the girl's response. It was good to speak to a friendly face after betraying his team. He stared down at his feet as he kicked them back and forth, causing the tree branch to sway slightly. "So, what's your name? I heard it when you were called in for assessment, but I've forgotten it with all that's happened. I'm Vincent, by the way," he said, focusing back on the other Tribute.

"I'm Zakia. Vincent is a nice name."She said. Zakia stabbed the sword into the tree behind her. She glanced down the tree. The Careers couldn't be too far.

Vincent yelped and scooted away at Zakia suddenly violent move. He quickly composed himself and began to think. "We should team up against the Careers," he said, staring back down at this feet. "They'll be searching for me, no doubt. But I have an idea." The gray-haired boy then explained that he would walk up to them, saying he'd seen another deer and gave chase, only for it to have run away. Zakia would swing wide past the group and strike them from behind. "This whole plan is based on whether they'll believe me or not, so it's extremely dangerous."

"I'm all in for dangerous. No life back home anyways."She muttered. Zakia grunted, pulling out the sword."Don't be scared of me. Be more scared of those snotty little Careers."

Vincent laughed awkwardly at her reply, understanding her situation. "Yeah, I live with my dad, and he'd kill me if I bad mouthed him here and lived," he confessed, smiling sheepishly. Well, I have a first aid kit in my bag, so we can fix your leg before we head out." The pack was slightly heavier with Wesley's rope in it, but Vincent pulled it off with ease and swung it to the front of him. Unzipping it, he quickly pulled out the kit and popped it open, taking out a roll of gauze tape and ointment.

Zakia sighed. "Im one of the poor districts. We dont get any food. We live off of scraps !"She growled. Zakia stared off into the distance, her cobalt eyes glowing.

"Oh. . ." Vincent suddenly felt bad. All these years, he'd taken for granted the nice house and plentiful food he'd been given. But was there really any way he could help another District? Hoping to distract Zakia, he said, "Let me see your leg. I'll numb the pain a bit so you can run faster."

Zakia stretched out the leg, wincing a little."Anyways, why did you spare me?"She asked. Zakia couldn't handle pondering on the subject anymore. She yearned to know the truth.

Vincent took hold of Zaria's leg and dabbed it with a water-soaked cloth, cleaning it so it wouldn't get infected. As he worked to dress the wound he said, "I don't know, maybe I was in shock after murdering someone in cold blood? I've only killed fish and other sea life up until this point, so it's a big change." The gray-haired boy sighed, feeling another pang of homesickness. Although, he realized the only thing he missed was the ocean. His father was strict and abusive, and his friends betrayed him by not saving him from the Reaping, so what else was there to go back to?

Zakia sighed. "It was terrible. He had pure black hate shrouding his eyes. He promised he would kill me one day. I guess he saw this as an oportunity..."She trailed off. She smiled weakly at Vincent, his gray hair reminded her of the ash from the mines back home.

A chill crept up Vincent's spine at Zakia's words. How demented could a person be to think that way, especially outside of the Games? He pulled and tucked the last of the gauze and sat up, looking at the other Tribute. "How does that feel? Too tight?"

Zakia shrugged."Cant really feel anything sooooo."She said. Her delicate fingers reached for his hair. It hesitated. "The color of your hair. It reminds me of the mines back in District 12."She said softly. Her cobalt eyes glowed as she smiled.

Nodding, Vincent packed up his first aid kit and pulled the pack back over his arms. Just as he leaned back, he caught what Zakia had said. "O-Oh, thanks," he stuttered, unsure of how to respond. "Um, your eyes remind me of the shiny stones we find in the ocean. I often collect them and keep them in a box in my room." Nailed it.

She laughed."Oh really? I would love to see them. Problem is maybe one of us will live to go."Zakia said. Her smiled faded. Her leg returned, she rubbed it slowly. Zakia put her sword at her side, ready.

Vincent's head drooped, as well as his spirits. "Yeah, it's be great if we could both go home," he muttered, thinking about his father. He really wished he hadn't, though. Muttering to himself, he jumped down a few branches and scanned the area. In the distance, he could make out the huddles shapes of the Careers. "I've found them," he said, looking up at Zakia. "I'll go directly toward them, and you'll swing left, okay?" With that, Vincent landed on the ground and ran toward the Careers, calling out to them as he did so.

Zakia sighed. She gripped the hilt of the glaive tightly. She did wish they could both survive. It was like she didn't have the heart to kill such an innocent tribute. Especially since he was cute. Zakia glared at the Careers."Damn Purebreds...."She muttered.

As Vincent came within earshot, the Careers turned and pointed their weapons at him, eyes burning with rage. The gray-haired boy came up short and flung his hands up. "G-Guys, I'm sorry I ran off! I saw a deer, and thought you'd like it if I killed it myself and brought it to you all! Really, I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. . ." Slowly, the other Careers stepped toward him, eyes narrowed and weapons drawn. Finally, Wesley sighed and lowered his ax. "Geez, Vinn, we really thought you'd gone and high tailed it!" The other boy stepped forward and chuckled. "So, I'm guessing you didn't get the deer?"

Zakia waited and waited. She wanted to spring immediately but she didn't want Vincent to die because she couldn't hold back her hate.

After speaking with the Careers for several minutes, Vincent pulled out his spear from a loop in his bag and raised it up, signaling for Zakia to attack. "See? Look how it gleams in the sunlight! There were these stones I found in the ocean one time. . ." he babbled, trying to keep them distracted.

Zakia dashed through the trees quietly. She landed silently behind them. She unsheathed her sword. It was too late for them to attack. She slashed and stabbed. "Stupid Careers."She muttered.

Vincent stepped back, watching the massacre unfold. He winced and looked away, not wanting to watch the people he'd hung around for the past few days die. It was so depressing. After finishing her work, Vincent stared at Zakia and felt slightly insulted at what she'd said. "H-Hey, I'm kinda a Career, y'know. District Four is. . . Nevermind." He quickly abandoned his argument, knowing the girl could easily kill him if she chose to do so. Just as the boy was about to let the Hover Bros take the pile of bodies, he heard a weak voice call out. "V-Vinn, you lied to me. . ?" It was Wesley. Vincent's heart sunk as he turned back to face the fallen Career, who's face was bloodied and pained. "Sorry," he said, kneeling down. "You were a good friend, but this is the Hunger Games, and I play to win." And with that, Vincent stabbed his spear into Wesley's back, waiting the light leave his eyes. He stood up again and frowned. How could he have killed someone who had treated him so nicely? It was either him, or me, he reassured himself. The last canon fired.

Zakia sighed. "Hey, it isnt like I know what Districts are considered Careers, I live near mines."She growled a little. She looked away. Zakia tossed down the sword."I can't kill you."She said.

Vincent watched Zakia drop her sword, a confused look on his face. "Why not? You deserve to win after saving me like that," he argued, walking over to her. "Please, I want you to win. Being a Victor means nothing if I have to kill the only friend I have left!"

Zakia turned back, tear stained face." I JUST CAN'T ! "She yelled. Killing someone meant another sad family. She had no family, death was a ticket she should take."I have nobody to go back to."She choked. Zakia fell to her knees, crying.

Vincent stared down at Zakia, a pang of sadness twisting his heart. What should he do? Trying desperately to fight off tears, he picked up his spear and pointed it at Zakia. "W-Would it be better if I killed you?" He asked, his voice breaking.

Zakia cried, glancing at Vincent. She shrugged."Do what you please."She replied sadly. Her cobalt eyes suddenly turned a darker blue. She sighed, sniffling.

"R-Right, I'll see you in the afterlife, if you believe in that sort of thing, Zakia," Vincent murmured, pushing the spear at her chest. "I really enjoyed our time together. Thank you." Hot tears flowed freely down Vincent's cheeks as the final canon fired.

Zakia fell, dead. Blood spilled out, touching Vincent's feet. He had won. He was the Victor. He conquered the Hunger Games, but not alone. It was time for him to return. Be showered in riches, yet the girl he had murdered would be stuck in his mind.

Vincent stared down at Zakia's lifeless body, his spear stuck through it. Feeling a sob rise in his throat, he dropped the weapon and stepped back, heading toward the Cornucopia. Why? He thought, stumbling blindly. Why did it have to be this way? How could I have killed my only friend? This isn't fair! The gray-haired boy stepped into the open field, watching as a team of Hover Bros flew past to pick up the dead Tributes. His friends. Then, another Hover Bro flew and stopped directly above him, lowering a rope ladder for him to climb. Sickened by their kindness, Vincent grabbed the ladder and allowed it to pull him up, trying to block out the Game Maker's congratulatory speech. He didn't want to be the one to hear it, but here he was, alive. He sighed miserably as he stepped into the Hover Bro, seeing his Mentor waiting for him and clapping him on the back. he shouted praises and congrats, but Vincent didn't want to hear any of it. Instead, he left the man and sat down, burying his face in his hands, and began to cry.

Her family back at home gasped. They were frozen in shock. She gave her life up, for the boy. Zakia was a kind, generous soul. But this had gone too far. They glanced at the crowd of people watching. The sign of rebellion flashed across. The whistles of the mockingjay echoed loudly throughout the Districts.

The next few days passed by in a blur, and Vincent still hadn't recovered from the loss of his friend. He and his father had been moved to the Victor's Village, and his father claimed to have been proud of him "for the first time." But no amount of praise our insults could cut through the wall Vincent had built. He didn't want to talk with anyone, or do anything. He just lay in his room, on his bed, and stared up at the ceiling, thinking. Finally, the day came where he would have to start the Victory Tour, or whatever it was. A pang of fear and anxiety shot through Vincent when he realized where he'd be heading first. District 12. As he boarded the train with his mentor, the gay-haired boy could hear the blood roar in his ears and his heart beat a mile a minute. What could he possibly say to Zakia's family? She'd wanted to die, hadn't she? They would be furious.

Zakia's mother heard the train. Barely any of the District was left now after the show of the rebellious sign. Zakia's brother and sister huddled together, crying. Yet her mother stood tall, waiting for the words of the Victor.

As Vincent stepped out of the train and mounted the stage, he saw a small crowd of no more than 100 people huddled in front of him, all glaring or crying. The faces of the Tributes were displayed on screens as their families stood on an elevated platform in front of them. It took him a minute to realize that he'd killed both of them. Stepping up to the microphone, he found his gaze wandering to a woman on Zakia's platform, who he assumed was her mother. Her expression was unreadable from Vincent's distance, but he knew well enough that she was probably burning with hatred. And as he opened his mouth to speak, the first thing to come out was, "I-I'm sorry."

Zakia's mother shook her head and smiled lightly as if to say, "You had no choice.". Her brother and sister stared at Vincent. They had regret and guilt in their similar cobalt eyes. They teased Zakia often, pushed her, insulted her. Now the pain was shot upon them quickly, faster than a bullet. Zakia's father looked at his feet, tears streaming down his ash riddled face. He collapsed into a soggy mess when he had come home from the mines to find out that his daughter was not the Victor.

Vincent stared at the family, broken by what he had done. He'd taken away something so precious to them, and was now being forced to stand before them, showcasing his victory and the murder of their daughter. How could they not be furious? The gray-haired boy gave a short speech. One that spoke of his time in the Arena, the people he'd met, and those he became close to. he spoke fondly of Zakia, saying she was a sweet girl who really knew how to whistle. He praised her family for raising her well, and that she fought valiantly in the Arena. There wasn't much to say about the other boy, since Vincent had only seen him trying to murder the girl from his own District. Then, it was over. He stepped back and bowed, signaling he was finished, and turned to walk back to the train with a heavy heart.

Zakia's mothers eyes flashed, like Zakia's family did. All of their eyes flashed brightly. To honor their daughter, they cared not what was to be the result of their action. The families and the remaining people of District 12 engaged in the MockingJay whistle, slaughter was the punishment for the people who did it previously.

Just as Vincent stepped into the train, a collective whistle broke out. he recognized that whistle. The tune had been played on the news when District 13 had fallen; it was the sign of rebellion. Had he caused an uproar? Spinning around, he saw Peacemakers thrusting their way into the crowd, shooting and killing most of the civilians. "No, stop!" He shouted, rushing at the closing door. But he was too late. The train door slid closed, leaving Vincent with one last glimpse of District 12. He fell to his knees and sobbed, banging his fists against the door. "Let me out! Don't kill them! Let. Me. Out!" Then, he felt a sharp pain in his shoulder as a needle was pushed into it, causing his vision to blur. "It'll be alright," his mentor murmured, standing above him. "C'mon, we've got to keep moving on." And with that, Vincent passed out.

Zakia seemed to be with them at their time of death. As a sign, a giant flock of practically extinct mockingjays flew past, blocking out the sun. They all sung out in unison."Im coming." The last words she had whistled to Vincent.....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
3.8M 157K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
7.2M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
89.7M 2.8M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...