Invisible String {2} TW

By poultergeist

In which Ayla Hale realizes her new pack is her family now. Book 2 of the Ayla Hale Trilogy Season 3 and 4 of... More

Invisible String
Part One
Ch. 1 Tattoo
Ch. 2 Chaos Rising
Ch. 3 Fireflies
Ch. 4 Unleash
Ch. 5 Frayed
Ch. 6 Motel California
Ch. 7 Currents
Ch. 8 Visionary
Ch. 9 The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Ch. 10 The Overlooked
Ch. 11 Alpha Pact
Ch. 12 Revelations: Lunar Eclipse
Part Two
Ch. 1 Anchors
Ch. 2 More Bad Than Good
Ch. 3 Galvanize
Ch. 4 Illuminated
Ch. 5 Silverfinger
Ch. 6 Riddled
Ch. 7 Letharia Vulpina
Ch. 8 Echo House
Ch. 9 The Fox and the Wolf
Ch. 10 De-Void
Ch. 11 Insatiable
Ch. 12 The Divine Move
TO AU Idea
Part Three
Ch. 1 The Dark Moon
Ch. 2 117
Ch. 3 Muted
Ch. 4 The Benefactor
Ch. 5 I.E.D.
Ch. 7 Weaponized
Ch. 8 Time of Death
Ch. 9 Perishable
Ch. 10 Monstrous
Ch. 11 A Promise to the Dead
Ch. 12 Smoke and Mirrors
Book Three

Ch. 6 Orphaned

219 9 1
By poultergeist

SEARCH
[4×06]

EVERYONE ELSE STAYED AT THE HIGH SCHOOL TO TALK TO THE POLICE, WHILE STILES AND AYLA TOOK BRETT TO THE ANIMAL CLINIC. Both Deaton and Derek met them there. They got Brett onto the table and out of his bulky lacross gear. The two Hales and Stiles were now trying to hold him still as he convulsed on the table. Yellow foam was coming from his mouth.

"What the hell is happening to this kid?" Stiles asked, watching him in disgust.

"He's been poisoned by a rare wolfsbane. I need to make an incision and you need to hold him as still as possible," Deaton told them.

"Hey, Derek, how about a little werewolf strength?" Stiles asked.

"Yeah, I'm not the only one here with werewolf strength," Derek snapped.

"If you can't hold him still, the incision might kill him," Deaton warned.

"You two hold his arms," Ayla told her uncle and Stiles. She place her hands on Brett's chest, trying to hold him still as Deaton lowered the scalpel towards him.

But of course the werewolf's eyes turned gold and he began to struggle when he saw the blade. He thrusted his arms out, throwing everyone backwards. He then ran for the door. He was stopped by Peter, who punched him hard enough to knock him out.

"I guess I still have a little werewolf strength myself," he said.

"Yeah, maybe more than a little," Derek replied, glaring at his uncle. While the two were never on great terms, they were even worse currently. Ayla hadn't been there, but she had been informed by Derek that Peter had killed one of the assassins before they could get any answers. Derek was still a little pissed about it.

The she-wolf also glared at the man, at least till she caught sight of Derek's arm. Brett must have gotten him, seeing as three scratches ran across his arm. "Der," Ayla said, taking his arm. "This should be healing."

"Hey, Doc, I don't think he's breathing," Stiles called, having knelt down next to Brett. Deaton hurried over to the werewolf, making an incision in Brett's chest. The beta gasped as yellow smoke came out of the cut, but he seemed to be breathing normally once it was all out.

"Is he okay?" Stiles wondered.

"I think he'll be fine, but probably out for a while," Deaton answered.

Ayla turned back to Derek, seeing the scratches finally heal themselves. Both her and Peter watched him in concern, having noticed that something was off. But all three of the Hales turned back to Brett as he began mumbling something.

"Guys, can you hear that? I think he's saying something," Stiles told them.

"The sun... the moon... the truth," Brett said, repeating the words over and over.

"Three things that cannot long be hidden. The sun, the moon, and the truth. It's Buddhist," Deaton told them.

Ayla frowned. "Wait, I remember that saying," she told them.

"You should. It's taught by an alpha we once knew," Peter told her. "Satomi."

|

Everyone went home for the night, deciding that the other pack and other possible assassins were tomorrow's problem. But once the next morning came, Ayla decided that they were an after school problem. That was if she managed to actually get to school this morning.

"Let go!" Ayla snapped, pulling at her bag. Lucifer's claws stayed stuck through the fabric of her backpack. "Give it to me! I have to go to school whether either of us like it or not. But if I go to school with a ripped bag, I'm shaving you."

The cat gave a hiss, before finally retracting his claws. Ayla sighed in relief as she saw that there were only a few very small holes in the fabric. "Furry demon," she muttered, scratching his ears. He hissed again, to which she just rolled her eyes. She slung her bag over her shoulders, before walking out of her room. She walked towards the doors of the loft, hoping to make a quick escape.

"You're not going to school," Derek announced before she could.

She sighed, turning to face him. "You can track the pack yourself, can't you?" she asked. He frowned, not meeting her gaze. "Okay, you have five seconds to start talking, before I walk out that door and you have to find someone else to help you."

"I'm losing my power," he admitted.

Ayla looked at him, trying to hide her concern. "Like your healing?" she asked.

"Like all of it. The healing, my strength, my sense of smell, my hearing. I'm losing all of it," he explained.

"Because of whatever happened in Mexico," Ayla guessed.

"Yeah," he told her.

The she-wolf sighed. "What do you want me to do?" she wondered.

"Get someone else to help you track the pack," he told her.

Ayla sent him a look. "In case you forgot, we have our wonderful, little loose-cannon named Liam who kind of needs twenty-four hour supervision. I can track the pack without him or Scott," she informed him.

"I never said it had to be a wolf," Derek replied.

Ayla frowned. "Leave Malia out of it," she told him.

"This is her pack. We are," he reminded.

"Yeah, but she's been through enough without being dragged into our family," Ayla told him.

"I didn't say she had to know. I just said you could use her help," he told her. Ayla sighed, knowing he was right.

|

Both Hales stood in the high school, waiting for Malia. Ayla could hear the werecoyote approaching. Malia came around the corner, looking at the Hales in surprise. "What's he doing here?" she asked Ayla, nodding to Derek.

"Brett's still out of it. I need to find his pack and warn them about the deadpool," Derek explained.

"And we wanted your help," Ayla added.

"What do you need me for?" Malia wondered.

"I know a little something about this pack. They have a kind of secret meeting place in the woods," Derek told her.

"And while I can track them once I catch a scent, no one knows the woods better than you," Ayla told the other girl.

"This is Brett's," Derek said, holding up the boy's green jersey. He tossed it to the werecoyote. "Breathe it in."

"I'm not good at that yet," Malia admitted.

"We'll help you," Ayla promised.

"Focus on the different scents. Some are tied to identity. Others give off an emotion," Derek told her.

Malia lifted the jersey to her nose, breathing in Brett's scent.

|

The three shape-shifters got out of Derek's car and began their walk through the woods.

"Their alpha is a woman named Satomi. She's one of the oldest werewolves alive, and she's learned a lot," he told the werecoyote.

"What does that mean?" Malia wondered.

"She's a bitten werewolf. Learning control wasn't easy for her. She did something a long time ago that changed her," Derek explained. Ayla frowned as she remembered the story she had heard from Kira's mother. Satomi had burned a man alive seventy years ago. "The quote is a mantra. It helps them with control," Derek continued.

Both Ayla and Malia came a stop as they caught a scent. "What is it?" he asked them.

"Gunpowder," Malia responded.

"Quite a bit from the smell of it," Ayla added.

Derek knelt down, finding a shell casing on the ground. "If Brett's pack is out here, I don't think they're meeting. I think they're hiding," he told them.

|

The three of them spent all of their day searching. They finally decided to give up once the sun had set. The three of them were now sat in Derek's car with Malia in the back. She leaned forward to talk to the two silent Hales. "I'm sorry," she said.

"It's not your fault. I couldn't catch a scent either," Ayla reminded.

"If they don't want to be found, then we're not going to find them. Some werewolves have an ability. A kind of mastery over their bodies where they can actually inhibit their scent," Derek told them.

"They can hide from other werewolves?" Malia asked.

"From anyone who's trying to find them," Derek said.

"So that's why nobody knew about Brett," Malia guessed.

"I thought it was just that I was focused on Liam," Ayla admitted.

"It was the same with DeMarco," Derek told them.

"Maybe we need to try something different. Maybe we need to think like Stiles," Malia told them.

"Like a hyperactive spaz?" Derek asked.

"No, like Velma Dinkley," Ayla corrected.

He sent her a look. "You've lost me," he told her.

"Like a detective," Malia explained.

Ayla grinned. "Piper did make you watch all of Scooby Doo," she realized.

"We only made it through What's New," Malia told her.

"Yeah, but that's like the best one," Ayla told her.

"Do you two have a point?" Derek asked.

"Yes," Malia said. "Look, if they're really Buddhists, then maybe instead of asking where werewolves hide, we should be asking-"

"Where Buddhists would hide," Derek realized. The former alpha thought for a moment, turning to look at the gauges on his car. It had a compass telling them that they were going east. "When Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree, he looked to the east for enlightenment," Derek told them.

"Is there some kind of eastern point in Beacon Hills?" Malia wondered.

"Lookout Point," Ayla informed them.

|

They went straight to Lookout Point to see if they could find anything. They were standing together when Derek saw both the two girls' expressions change.

"Malia? Ayla?" he said, not sure what was wrong.

"You don't smell that?" Malia asked him.

"Derek, I think we're too late," Ayla told him. She wanted to gag at the smell.

The man frowned. "Wait for me right here," he told them, moving into the woods.

Ayla stood there for a moment. She didn't want to go closer. She didn't want to see. But she also didn't want Derek going by himself right now. "Stay here," she told Malia, before following her uncle into the woods.

She found him standing a few feet away from the first body. "Oh, God," Ayla muttered as she saw the lifeless bodies of Satomi's pack. Almost all of them were staring off with glassy eyes, covered in black blood and matching veins.

|

Both the two Hales were still standing together, looking around in horror, when Malia joined them. "What happened?" she asked.

"I think they might've been poisoned," Derek told her.

"What kind of poison does this?" Ayla wondered.

"Great. If assassins with guns don't get you, then the ones with wolfsbane poison will. Or maybe one with no mouth. Maybe we should all be running from Beacon Hills. Running for our lives, as fast as we can," Malia told the two of them, before moving back towards the car. Derek moved to follow her, but Ayla grabbed his arm to stop him.

"I spell blood. Fresh blood," she told him.

Just as she said it, they heard someone struggling to breath further into the woods. "Someone's still alive," Ayla realized. Both her and Derek took off running, finding Braeden a few meters away. Her hand and shirt were covered in blood from the bullet wound in her side. "We need to get her out of here," Ayla told her uncle.

Not a super important chapter, but we got a little bit of family bonding in. And my favorite part, Ayla bickering with the furry demon known as Lucy. Do you guys love him as much as I do?

Please vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 491 38
Isabelle Hale. Cousin to Derek Hale and Niece of Peter Hale. She's lived in Beacon Hills her whole life, even after most of her family died in the Ha...
15.8K 663 28
❝TIME TO CONFRONT YOUR PAST AND YOUR FEARS.❞ In which Maddie has to learn to make a choice. Pack or Family. Or can she have both? {book three} {teen...
121K 3.3K 39
| Book One | The Alpha pack come into the town of Beacon Hills and more than one Hale comes back with it. With their packs fighting can Isaac and Y...
6.3K 215 12
selena mccall and mitch stilinski try to navigate their lives while living in the world of the supernatural. ( TEEN WOLF ) ( FEMALE OC X MALE OC ) ...