Progressive Factor

By HardinTwentyfive

Black Swordsman. Lightning Flash. Crimson Warrior. Kindred Assassin. Four years ago, these were just four of... More

The Tale Begins
Raid Meeting and Party Formation
Preparations
The Road to Glory or Death
Illfang the Kobold Lord
Beater, Leaders, and Promises
The ALS & DKB
Shattered Resolve
Kirito and Jaymes Investigates
And So Our Heroes Figure It Out
And They Get A Confession
The Colonel, the General, and the King
Nezha's Atonement
Interlude: We Met Before Once Before
The Woods of the Third Floor
Dark Elf Camp Instance
The Not So Itsy, Not So Bitsy Spiders
The One Where They Hate Natural Dungeons
To the Human Town of Zumfut
The Idol Who Wields Two Swords
Lind's Offer
The Duel of Black and Red
Kirito and Koharu vs Morte
They Who (Will) Rule The Front Lines
Until the Fourth Floor, Farewell

To the Second Boss Raid

71 1 0
By HardinTwentyfive

December 12th

“Kirito.”

“What?”

“How long have you and Asuna been a couple?”

Asuna head whips to Nezha so quickly she might’ve broken it doing the same motion in real life. Why, of all questions to break the silence between the six players marching out in the field, is that the question he decides to ask? And why isn’t Kirito answering fast enough? “We are not a couple!”

“Huh? Oh! I’m so sorry! There are so few female players in SAO, topics like that are boilerplate discussion material. I didn’t this it would be such a surprise.”

Kirito pales. “Wait… Are you saying…people are spreading rumors about us?”

“Rumors? It’s common knowledge. Kirito and Asuna are always seen together. even going to the same room. Everyone’s seen you doing that!”

“That’s not the way it went!”

“That was just a coincidence! A temporary thing! I didn’t have a choice but to go along!”

Asuna faces Kirito. “Is that so?”

“Ung…”

“Also,” Nezha continues, “a certain reputable source has said that upon visiting Kirito’s inn room late one night, a completely nude Asuna emerged from the bath.” Reputable source. Asuna looks to Kirito, he looks back, then they both glare at the “reputable source” in question.

“Nya nya-ha-ha-ha-haaa.”

“Also, her estimated measurements and the color of her underwear have been sold for vast sums of money!”

Asuna glares harder at the Rat, making the little girl sweat. “Ha-ha… I regret it all. D-Don’t worry! I haven’t actually sold you out! It’s just...y’know! You’re a hot commodity out there right now!”

“Indeed! They say that your shocking beauty was enough to cause a collapsing boss raid to forget their fear of death and emerge victorious! They say that you are like a goddess to them!”

While the events are...true to an extent, Asuna basks in the rumored compliment. “A goddess…”

“Huh…”

“That’s your best answer, Kii-boy? You’ve got dibs on that girl. Don’t you know what you’ve got?”

“You’re the one who spread that story. Don’t try to shift the topic.”

“Indeed. And...you must be Argo, yes? I’ve heard the rumors about you.”

Argo’s eyes widen at the possible rumors Nezha has heard. “Eh?”

“You have secret trysts with Kirito every time he returns from the front. You have many secret fans as well. It must be the big gap between your cool job as an information agent and the mysterious face-paint whiskers. From what I hear. Oh, right, would you happen to know the reason for her whiskers, Kirito?”

Kirito says nothing, not even able to look at anyone’s face, arousing Asuna’s suspicions. “Oh, really?”

Nezha gasps and places his hand on his forehead in shame. “Ah. I… I’m so sorry. I can be so dense sometimes!”

“I’m not two-timing them!”

“It’s all right. I understand.”

“No, you don’t!”

“Don’t be so cold, Kii-boy. Remember how I took off my whiskers for you?”

“Explain.”

“You liar! I stopped you before you did!”

“Ohh? I guess you did, nya-ha-ha-ha.”

“Explain.”

“Give me a break…”

Nezha looks pleased with himself, then faces the leading pair of the group, Jaymes and Koharu, who either ignored the entire discourse or pretended they weren’t listening to not get called out. “Wait. Koharu and Jaymes, I’ve heard rumors about you two as well. You’ve been together since the game began, right? And there’s been rumors that you’ve seen Koharu in the nude as well, fresh from the bath. They say Koharu’s beauty also inspired the previous raid, and if Asuna has a commanding goddess of goddesses, Koharu is a gentle one, like a full moon at night. Actually, there’s a rumor that you Jaymes have been with another girl who fed you once befo--”

Steel rings out and is pointed at Nezha’s face. Joshua’s face is smiling, but even Asuna can tell there’s a murderous intent behind it. “You want to tell me more about these rumors?”

“...N-No.”

“Didn’t think so.”

xxxxxxxxxx

Present day

Joshua sighs and crosses his arms. “Goddesses, huh? Like the goddess of goddesses and a gentle moon? Sounds like Stacia and Lunaria to me.”

Asuna beams like she did years ago. “I guess it was fate.”

“So,” Kotone slowly says, “aside from the late night incident--which is partially true--which of those rumors are true, because I heard many as a treasure hunter.”

Kazuto crosses his arms. “At the time, none of them. It was all misconceptions. What I don’t understand is that the four of us were together, why weren’t--”

“Don’t finish that statement,” Koharu interjects sternly.

“Huh?”

“Think about what you’re going to say, and what it may sound like.”

“...Oh. Yeah. Yeah, that’s worst… Anyway, none of them were true for me and Asuna, and wouldn’t be close to the truth for another two years about us being a couple.”

Nijika sighs. “Right… So who was the girl who fed you, Joshua?”

“Hmm… If it who I thought it was, it was Sachi when she gave me and Koharu lunch one time in exchange for monster data. Well, Ko made that deal, lunch was free of charge before you took on her request.”

“It’s the right thing to do.”

“Whatever… You know, we’ve spoken much about us, what the heck were you three doing?”

Kotone crosses her arms. “What Keiko, Nijika, and I were doing is not important nor will be as important as four of the most popular names in Sword Art Online. my dear Crimson Warrior.”

“Says the one called formerly called Huntress. Keiko?”

Keiko looks to her lap nervously. “Not much, to be honest. Not a thrilling tale. I haven’t found Pina yet. Maybe once we get to that point, I’ll tell that story, but it was before I met Koharu and you.”

“And...well, same here. When the timeline with your story fits, I’ll tell my story. It’s on the next floor.”

“You two gave in… Why does Argo wear whiskers anyway, Kazuto?”

“Well, about that...”

“I could tell you,” Koharu says with a sigh, “but Argo did tell us free of charge, and I don’t want to spoil that. It wasn’t worth it. Anyway, can we skip the Martial Arts skill quest? ”

“Why? I mean, it is part of Asuna’s story.”

Asuna’s face builds up with anger and embarrassment. “Because that old man was a pervert! He drew those stupid whiskers on my face, took my sword, and made me break a giant rock without them? Ugh! And you three left me up there alone with Nezha and almost took on the floor boss without me!”

“...Well, now you know how Argo got her nickname and whiskers.”

“I agree with Asuna. The boys and I really didn’t do much in the time between us leaving her and heading to the dungeon, so why not start there, Kazuto.”

“Fine. So while Asuna and Nezha were busy with the quest to gain the Martial Arts skill, Ko, Jaymes, and I joined the Assault Team at the second dungeon…”

xxxxxxxxx

December 14th, Koharu, within the second-floor labyrinth…

“All eyes on me! I am Lind of the Dragon Knight guild! As representative of the first party to reach the boss chamber, I am hereby the leader of the raid party on the second-floor boss! We have the numbers for a full raid, and that gives me pride as your leader! Let’s do this, gang!”

“Guilds,” Kibaou, leader of the AIncrad Liberation Squad, questions. “We can’t even make guilds yet! Thinks he’s so high ‘n’ mighty just ‘cos he got here three hours earlier.”

“The first to arrive assumes leadership. That was the agreement, was it not?”

“By that rule, the first one here was them. But he won’t get the last attack this time!”

“Once again, we’re the envy of the front.” Koharu sighs and glances at Kirito, who impatiently looks towards the path back into the labyrinth. Jaymes, is in the midst of the ALS and DKB, wondering which background spot they’ll have this time.

Despite no one openly admitting it, the lack of Asuna is weirding out the trio. Koharu misses having another girl in the group; she can’t speak for her partner, but Koharu’s sure he likes having Asuna around. Kirito is visibly the most affected as he stands silently in place, awaiting the girl to show up as promised two days after being left on that mountain to complete the boulder-breaking quest.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” Koharu looks to see Agil approach her and Kirito. “I heard you were working as a party with a pair of princesses. I can see one, but not the one associated with you. You look like a husband who just saw a note that says “I’m moving back in with my parents.”

“We’re not a pair. It’s just a temporary partnership along with Koharu and Jaymes.”

“I see.” Agil looks at Koharu, and she turns away. As far as she remembers, she only asked Asuna to rejoin them on the second floor, not beyond it. That means they’re likely to go three separate ways again, at least until the next raid on the third floor if they survive here.

“Haven’t seen you since the first floor. You were a big help in the boss fight.”

“Not as much as you two. Speaking of which, how’s your friend, Koharu?”

“Sachi? Oh, we got her back to her party. Thank you for the help the other day.”

“Good to hear. Well, if there was room, I’d invite you all to Team H. We’ve only got four to your three.”

Kirito sighs. “That’ll be great, and I’m sure Koharu and Jaymes wouldn’t mind, but…”

Agil reaches out his hand. “What do they call you, a Beater? Only a tiny percent of people call you that. If anything, you bring the strength of a hundred with you.”

Kirito looks to Koharu, who nods in agreement. “Well, thanks. Maybe next time. So what’s Team H’s assignment?”

“Taking out the mob. Teams A through F get the boss, and they’re all the Dragon Knights and Aincrad Liberation Squad.”

“Mob? Wait, you mean Nato, the Colonel? That was practically a mid-boss!”

“Well, that’s where we are too,” Jaymes says as he returns to his party. “And Kirito is right, Nato was a mid-boss in the beta. In other words, we’re fighting two bosses at once.”

Koharu sighs. “So another change from the beta, right? Wait, what about G?”

Agil turns his head. “Over there. The Legend Braves. They’re begging to be allowed to fight the boss. I can see they’re desperate to make themselves known.” Koharu and Kirito exchange glances while eyeing the specified group, then their leader, Orlando, makes eye contact with them...and then makes his way to Koharu, Kirito, and Agil.

“Thou art Team H and I, in charge of Colonel Nato? If it be not too much trouble, we wish to join thy forces.”

That doesn’t just shock Koharu and friends, but the other Legend Braves as well. “O...Orlando! At that rate, we’re never going to--”

“Fool! Quibble not with such shortsighted details! Is that what a legendary hero does?”

“B-But we’re already slow out of the gate…”

Orlando holds up two fingers. “It is still just the second floor. There are ninety-eight above. No need to rush. The day will one day arrive that all come to see who the true heroes are. And now… Let us work together. It may be our first time meeting, but might I call thee… Sir Agil?”

Agil nods and shakes Orlando’s hand. “Heh. All right, good to meet you, Orlando.”

Orlando nods and looks to Koharu, Kirito, and Jaymes. “The Kindred Assassin, the Crimson Warrior, and the Black Swordsman. Thy prowess within the field boss battle was wondrous to behold! I can see thy titles are duly earned.”

Koharu blinks. “Kindred...Assassin? Is that my title?”

“Indeed is thy nickname, for it is said thee’s kindness is as sharp as her dagger. Not to mention, her beauty is widely renowned.”

“Oh…”

“Hey,” Jaymes says with obvious defense, “stop flirting with my partner. But besides that, I’m fine with you guys assisting us. Kirito?”

“Hmm…”

“Black Swordsman… Its source is unknown to me, but you are indeed the bea-”

“Blackie,” Agil interrupts Orlando. “That’s what we call him.”

“Ah-ha. In that case, Sir Blackie.”

Kirito reaches out for Orlando’s hand. “Uh, yeah.”

“Fret not! With the ever-triumphant forces of the Legend Braves at thy disposal, no ox-man, whether colonel or general, can withstand the might of my treasured blade, Durandal!”

Koharu feels a sweat bead on her forehead. At first, she found it amazing Orlando could keep his character intact, but now it’s like watching a delusional chunibyo. She’s not alone in such thinking as Kirito voices his opinion. “Um, that's just a normal ‘Stout Brand’--”

Agil stops him. “C’mon. Don't harsh his vibe.”

Koharu turns to her partner, who by now she’s learned that the quieter he is, the more annoyed. She has one question on her mind, one she’s sure they’ve all had the last three days. “Jaymes, do you think they’re uninvolved in Nezha’s scheme?”

“Possibly. But I don’t believe it. You?”

“I… I don’t want to judge without proof.”

“Hmm… You’re genuinely kind, Ko. Maybe that’s why we balance out as partners. Permanent partners, unlike Blackie and Smartie.”

Although he didn’t need to affirm what she already knew, Koharu smiles at Jaymes, knowing their partnership--with or without Asuna and Kirito--is here to stay. “Of course, Reddie.”

“Huh?”

“Everyone’s assigned now? Good.” Lind clears his throat and turns to the huge doors leading to the bosses’ lair. “Then let us open the doors to our triumph over--”

“Just a minute,” Agil barely shouts, but it carries over the entire like he did indeed roar. “Are you sure you’re not relying too heavily on the strategy guide’s information again? Shouldn’t we be preparing for the possibility that they’ve made changes since the beta test like they did on the first floor?”

“Of… Of course. I have no intentions of repeating that mistake.”

“Then we ought to have a clear plan for retreat. If we notice different patterns from the advance information, we ought to pull back temporarily and rethink our strategy. Is that all right?”

Lind nods. “Yes, that’ll do… And with that, let us open--”

“Hang on just a sec!”

Lind, desperate to at least finish his sentence, faces Kibaou. “What is it now?”

“I agree, the strategy guide’s a problem. I hate ta say it, but it’s bein’ written by an intel merchant what ain’t never been in the boss chamber! In that case, we know at least one person here who’s seen the boss for himself. So why don’t we get his take on it.”

All eyes head to Kirito, but Koharu lingers her gaze on Kibaou. Forget that he’s probably calling out Kirito for good or bad reasons, he knows Jaymes and her are former testers. Neither fought the bosses in the beta, but he doesn’t know that, yet Kibaou keeps their status a secret. Either it is a show of trust...or a show of goodwill that the partners will help his guild again.

Kirito lectures the team as called upon. “ At the very least, the regular tauruses have the same attacks as they did in the beta, so the boss should use sword skills that are an extension of that pattern. Just avoid getting hit with double debuffs at all costs. If you get stunned while you’re stunned, that turns into paralysis. And every player in the beta who got paralyzed…”

The answer is as painful as the silence Kirito leaves in the air.

“...Gotta avoid the second hit. That’s our main priority.” Kibaou walks up to the doors and pushes them open. “Let’s git goin’”

“Hey! Who said you could--I’m the leader here! W-Well! Well, let’s go!”

“Hip! Hip! Hurrah!” Koharu and her party follow the cheers of the others into the boss chamber. Once they’re far enough inside, the cheers die as candles light up and illuminate the shadow. What lingers in the center of the room is what Koharu expects to see, but she’s still shocked as two giant shadows stand in the room's center.

She slowly draws her dagger as her eyes continue traveling up almost to the ceiling. “Th-They’re huge…”

“Is this a bad time for a ‘That’s what she said’, Kirito?”

“I think so… Well, let’s be glad there aren’t three of them…”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 97 9
Y/n is a loner, a mute, a SAO surviver and Yuuki Konno best friend, they were like sisters but when Asuna joins, she doesn't stay with them, since sh...
2.3K 80 4
The floating castle of Aincrad is a wonderful place. It's filled with people and monsters who were designed for others to enjoy, to fulfil the desir...
179K 3.2K 39
SAO has trapped in thousands of player. (U/N) is faced with emotional hardship, will he make new friends, or stay alone. How will (U/N) use his speci...