The Huntsman Of Ash (RWBY X D...

By KiriKiwiS

((Revision Actively Being Published))) (RWBY x Dark Souls 3) "The Ashen One" One amongst the countless unkind... More

Bonfire I: The Ash of Cinder
Bonfire II: Normalcy & Strife
Bonfire III: Unspoken Comradery
Bonfire IV: A "Grandiose" Prelude
Bonfire V: The Start Of Companionship
Bonfire VI: Rude Awakening To A Fated Encounter
Bonfire VII: Silent Consulting
Bonfire VIII: Innuendos & Gym Bros
Bonfire IX: The Flaking of Secrets
Bonfire X: Discretion In Anticipation
Bonfire XI: The Ditch of Unliving
Bonfire XIII: Recipe For Grimm
Bonfire XIV: Recourse Upon Remorse
Bonfire XV: Placed Into Perspective
Bonfire XVI: Torn And Frayed
Bonfire XVII: More To The Eye

Bonfire XII: Upward & Onward

1.8K 44 19
By KiriKiwiS

_____________________

[DISCLAIMER]
RWBY is property of RoosterTeeth and Monty Oum. Dark Souls is property of Bandai Namco and From Software. All art/videos/music shown are property of their respective artists/companies.
____________________
.
.
.
.
.
__________________________________

Glynda Goodwitch tapped at the clipboard she held. Her prodding was consistent and rapid, a sign of how lost in thought she had become.

The wooden tray-like object held nearly a dozen sheets of paper, all holding passages of nearly indecipherable text. She scanned over the contents thoroughly though, taking in each and every detail she had written about the individual students. Their performances were varied to the highest degree, some worse or better than others.

This, her careful confirmation of reading the texts over and over, was to calculate who would be more promising as complimentary matchups for future reference.

Some pairs, such as "Asche" and Lie Ren, worked perfectly. The two rivaled each other in nearly every way. Their skill in humanoid based combat was well above average, as was their prowess in Grimm slaying. Other match ups however, such as Yang Xiao Long and Tyler Mauve's, was a recipe for disaster.

Yang had figuratively and quite literally demolished her opponent seemingly without a shred of effort. Tyler Mauve was outclassed in every way possible, making for a painfully swift round. The same was said about the two other matches from Nora Valkyrie and Pyrrha Nikos. The three were powerhouses in terms of raw physical combat, soaring even above Ren and "Asche".

But in terms of semblance usage…

Weiss Schnee dominated in this field, "Asche" quickly falling as a rival. Yes, Ruby had near mastery over her immense speed and Yang's damage absorption was not to be trifled with; yet Weiss showed a well versed skill in her semblance. She was not capable of her families summoning just yet, but had already used her limited semblance in an admirable and imaginative manner. She was tested time and time again before attending Beacon, as expected of a Schnee.

"Asche" , though, held the advantage of having a rather bizarre semblance, even for aura dampening types. His own aura moved as a weapon, a form of camouflage, and a supposed "weapon coating" to give his blades an extra edge. And of course, the emerald shaded crescent of the "Cresent Moon Sword"

Like Lie Ren, Weiss held a similar yet so different fighting style to the champion. And with the two so close in ability to their more than capable semblances, Professor Goodwitch considered postponing a match between the two. Ms.Schnee and Mr.Embers had the potential to be an iconic fight, considering how well they each would improve over the coming months. Then again, "Asche's" transcripts were rather bland compared to her's, the more confirmation Glynda had over his ability, the better.

But Glynda broke from her trance, stealing a look at the time portrayed via her scroll. Her class time for today was dreadfully running short, nearing the final bell. After silently berating herself for having wasted such precious minutes, she drew the attention of the class again.

"The matches for today are officially concluded." She sternly announced. "Be sure to check your scrolls later to view your performance and be doubly sure to review the accompanying notes."

Indecipherable murmurs fell upon the students. Some worried for their scores, whilst others lazily sunk into their seats. Within the later hours of the day, the students would either be taken by surprise at their grade, or become utterly disappointed. Sadly, only a select few would have an acceptable score.

"Now, onto today's closing announcement..."

The students felt a unified hush overtake them. Many of the first years wore a face of anticipation. Dozens, maybe more, pairs of eyes were bright and gleaming, eager for the professor to continue. This had been the news they awaited all class period...

"As many of you are aware, the Vytal festival will be held in Vale. The festival will include amusement rides, kingdom sponsored parades, student driven dance and art exhibitions, cultural exhibitions, and of course… the Combat Tournaments."

...And they, the students, had not been disappointed. Several of the children began to cheer, immediately halting when the professor subsequently locked eyes with each. Silenced, they could only listen onwards obediently as they practically started to jump from their seats. This festival was their chance to prove themselves and team to not only Beacon, but to the entirety of Vale and Remnant. 

"Participation in each event is strictly voluntary, though heavily encouraged. Teams may participate individually or collectively, though these conditions will vary depending on the event. This year's combat class will be focused primarily on preparing you all for the Vytal Tournament."

In the history of each academy, "participation" was used lightly. Never before had a student rejected to partake in the event, regardless of being a first or fourth year. Even if combat based activities interested them naught, there had been dozens of other equally interesting events. In fact, it was considered taboo to not plan to attend.

"On a final note, please remember that whether you are participating or not, each of you will be representing Vale and Beacon as a whole for the rest of Remnant to see. As such, I and the rest of your professors expect nothing short of your best behavior."

That much was true. The students held the opportunity to make themselves out to be admirable or capable to other academies. A good impression would go far, likely and hopefully resulting in other governmental bodies sponsoring the teams for proof of skill in their fields. Pyrrha Nikos though, was among the few to already have a following and trove of eager contractors…

Many of the hunters in training felt their mind drift away to having a shot at Pyrrha's level of skill and fame, even if they knew it was a rigorous trial of obtaining.

"The year has only begun. The first day of four long years. When in doubt, turn to one another. You are all a team. Always do your best to grow and adapt to this world around you. And of course, never forget why you are here doing what you are doing."

"Class dismissed."

...

...

Team RWBY left the amphitheater, the champion of ash accompanying the group. The leader, Ruby, danced throughout the hallway as she sang. Yang and Blake both smiled and fought back a brief fit of laughter at the girl's ever continuing antics, wondering if they should join in. Weiss on the other hand, shook her head as she covered her face from second hand embarrassment.

"Heya Asche!" Ruby cheered, skipping as she lightly pulled at "Asche's" arm. "Are you gonna enter into the combat tournament?"

As they walked, the champion glanced toward the girl who clung to his arm. The tournament seemed uninteresting. His grades would be unaffected, and he was notorious for stage fright long ago. He gave Ruby a sympathetic pat with his free arm, shaking his head remorsefully. From the corner of his eye, he saw a huffing Weiss withdraw a nail file from her bag, likely distracting herself from… something.

"What?!" She frantically exclaimed, nudging her head into the head patting. "But you did sooo good against Ren! You have to join in! You'll miss all the fun otherwise!"

"Some people are more suited for on the field activities over tournament held ones. Maybe Asche's skills don't translate in a civil and rule gated environment" Blake Belladonna commented. "He would be pitted against the best tournament dualists the other academies have to offer after all."

No… that was not exactly true. Or at least, not entirely true.

Again, he was solely terrified from the thought of so many eyes being glued to his figure during a dual. He was talented, against a beast or a man both. The champion, and others like him had squared off against gargantuan behemoths as well as fighters of legend before. He held no doubt in his skill, only doubt in his ability to compose himself in such an overbearing and judgmental crowd. Lord slayer, usurper of flame, and champion of sundered ash he may be, he was certain in being unable to shake the searing judgment of a horde of onlookers.

"Well Asche, confined or not, I think you did wonderful. Just as Miss Glynda said, your footwork was beyond excellent." Weiss praised, halting her filing for only a moment. "You were resourceful and adaptive. You also reserved your more lucrative abilities for the most effective time."

"I'm not sure I caught any of Weiss-Cream's technicalities or what-not, but I'd love to throw punches with you some time!" Yang bellowed, punching her fists together with an ear to ear smile.

Though it was silent, "Asche" gave a nervous chuckle at the girl. He felt a bead of sweat fall from his concealed brow, recounting just how much collateral damage the girl caused during a simple spar. With his attention diverted, and with Ruby unblocking his weight, "Asche" began compensating his steps. Every so often, he would stumble, causing Weiss to roll her eyes at the trouble Ruby's clinging was causing, though… she found it more irritating than anything.

"Ruby, could you at least walk like a normal person? You're going to trip him." Weiss huffed, intensifying her filing.

"Oh…right, I'm sorry Asche.." Ruby weakly said, reluctantly unlatching herself from the masked boy's limb. "Anyways! We all agreed to hit up Vale for supplies and snacks, wanna tag along and explore Vale w-"

"Ayo, Aschy!" A familiar voice called out, causing the mentioned boy to turn his head toward the source.

Across the hall, Dove Bronzewing beckoned the boy over, further capturing and sealing away the ashen one's attention. With an apologetic bow of the head, the unkindled one bid the group of girls a farewell, weaving his way past the other students. Once reunited with the teammate, and after an inaudible exchange of words, the two turned on their heels with purpose, as if they were en route to somewhere in particular.

"-With me…" Ruby murmured, watching the boy's stride further and further away. "That's twice now…"

The lioness of the team slithered behind Ruby, dropping her arms around the younger girl's shoulders. She stared off into the distance, watching Dove and "Asche" disappear in a near frantic state when rounding a corner. Before she took a deep breath, she gave a supportive pat to her sibling. It was a sound that was only greeted by the scrapping sound of Weiss's nails.

"Awh, don't sweat it Rubes. I'm sure he's got a reason or two." Yang cautiously comforted.

"Yeah, I… guess you're right." Ruby conceded. "I mean, I should probably take his example and focus on my own team first, right?"

"Yes, but you would think a person like him wouldn't want to be associated with teammates like… his." Blake added, adding a strange emphasis on 'person'.

For whatever reason, Weiss chose to scoff at the amber eyed girl. "And just what is that supposed to mean?" She said, crossing her arms.

"Oh, I uh… N-nothing! Cardin is just a raci- I mean, overzealous guy." Blake defended, awkwardly fidgeting with her fingers as she turned away. "I'm just wondering what he sees in the rest of his team?" She awkwardly fumbled.

"Hmph. I, for one, can absolutely relate to his situation." The heiress started, continuing to file her nails in a false sense of disinterest. "Surrounded by team you don-"

Before she could finish, she lost the grip to her nail file, accidentally grinning a nail at an awkward angle. She cringed from the uncomfortable change and glanced into her finger to "see the damage". She then realized that she had filed too far, likely from being too caught up into the steadily rising drama between the group.

The white themed girl stole a glance to the side, wandering between Yang and Ruby's worried eyes, which were now being set on her. She had made amends with Ruby, her leader, only days prior and had vowed to do better. Weiss had spied on the red themed reaper when "Asche" comforted her as well, something that only further solidified her need to be… better than she currently was. The heiress felt personal guilt during that time, an almost foreign feeling for the heiress.

So why was she so adamant about breaking that vow to do better?

She shook her head, turning to stare back at her leader. 

"No… Nevermind. I was thinking of the wrong… whatever." Weiss began, much softer this time. "My guess is as good as yours, Blake."

Blake in turn, raised a suspicious eyebrow at the heiress. It had been as if the white themed girl had a complete one eighty in demeanor, something that seemed more than just "off". While Blake felt a small buried sense of panic, one she could not grasp, she became oblivious to the ecstatic smile Ruby gave Weiss. The leader of the team, though she was saddened by "Asche's" second unceremonious departure, felt a weight lift from her chest.

...

...

...

The two boys, Dove and "Asche" fell into their dorm. It had remained untouched from the morning, save for the empty cubbies their uniforms once hung from. Dove drifted past his companion, ruffling through the crawlspace under his bed. After a moment of rummaging, he withdrew two separate bags, both being a number larger than the standard gym bag.

"Oi, heads up." He said, tossing a bag to the champion. "We're in charge of packing the clothes, gear, anything else we'll probably need; from our dorm at least."

"Asche" caught the bag, shaking out the apparent sand and scrapings of paper. Dove did much the same, eventually laying his bag over his bed. The two paused for a moment, almost as if bracing themselves for the oncoming task.

"Cardin and Sky went to Vale. They're buying some non perishables, supplies, dust rounds, all the stuff we can't really get from here."

The masked boy shook his head, ushering the two to carry on with their assigned duty.  Starting with spare clothes for each of the boy's, the duo

immediately began with the team's more leisure packing, working their way to the more "gritty" or "tedious" gathering.

Over the course of nearly two hours, Dove and "Asche" gathered all that team CEDL would likely need. Following this, the two accounted for the items collected, being sure to record the list for when they would make their eventual return to Beacon. 

"Hey listen, Asche…"  Dove's voice trailed.

The two boy's had finished, slinging each bag over a respective shoulder. They stood by the dorm's entrance, exiting and locking their door. Once the click of a bolt and the electronic mechanism was heard, "Asche" felt a strange series of buzzing from his scroll. He ignored it however, still not quite grasping that a vibration meant he was being messaged by someone. Dove then placed his free hand on the other's arm, distracting the boy further.

"...I know Cardin might be a bit of an ass at times, but I hope you know he's glad to have you. He's not the nicest guy, especially to others… but I want you to know he's a good guy underneath it all. Cardin's just… a little rough around the edges." He stressed.

The champion stared blankly at Dove. From his perspective, Cardin was the average young man. He held ill beliefs, some more based on emotion than others, such as his blatant disregard for the faunas as a whole. And judging from remarks made by Pyrrha, and Jaune's general phobia of being around CEDL's leader, "Asche" came to the realization that Cardin… had his own set of flaws.

But he was just a boy. As many boys tend to be, Cardin was arrogant and fueled by hormones. He had time to grow past this, learn from his mistakes, and better accept those around him. The most "Asche" could do currently… was to give his silent and guiding support. Cardin was, after all, his leader.

"Anyway, we're pretty much done here. Let's go ahead and lug these bags to the initiation cliff. The other two should be there any minute now."

The two drifted past the hallways and corridors to the academy. Few students took note of their stride, seeing as most of the other hunters in trialing had their own pains for their first weekend in Beacon. As they entered the school's courtyards, the crowds of students grew. Passing further toward their destination, Dove commented on the hordes of Bullhead travelling to and from the school and Vale.

The university like building would be emptied shortly. Students would flock to Vale and the surrounding cities, either revisiting close relatives or spending time exploring the metropolitan city.

The city astonished the champion of ash. It seemed so advanced, so structured, and completely lacking in signs of ruin. It was for all intents and purposes, a drastic change from Lothric and it's many converged worlds.

He felt...something. A warm and rising sensation, one that took hold of where his heart should be. Even as far as he and Dove both were, the champion could feel the life from the city. It was bright and full of color, like a fresh painting made from the most joyful inspirations. Before he could let his mind wonder though, he felt his attention be pulled toward another sight.

Near the edge of the cliff overlooking the forest, Cardin and Sky sat. The boys took a glance before turning their backs, slumped over a makeshift table of bags and a collapsible board. The two also held binoculars in hand.

As Dove and Asch drew closer, the champion took note of the pinned and weighted papers on the board. Sky was in the midst of outlining a map of sorts as Cardin offered the locations of natural landmarks. Several drafts were scattered on the hastily made surface, including detailed sketches of the forest pathways taken during initiation. The leader glanced over his shoulder, spotting the arriving teammates.

Cardin was the first and only to greet the arriving duo, who now stood beside the pile of supplies.

"Hey there Asche, Dove." Cardin began, grasping Dove's hand before lightly curling his fist. "Sky here is laying out a map, we're almost ready to head out. Once you two get up to speed first. Did anyone follow you?"

"Uh, no, I think? I'm pretty sure we came alone. Do you want us to double back to check or something?"

"No no, it's fine. I'm Just making sure." The leader defended, waving his palms for a moment. "We got here earlier than expected. I retraced my steps from initiation, and so did Sky. Ya know, just in case."

Cardin cleared his throat, preparing for the "brief" update.

"Long story short… We're going to stick together. The Grimm have repopulated the forest since initiation, so we'll need to be extra careful. Picking a fight with every pack that comes along is going to slow and wear us down, so we'll be taking a scenic route. Take a look over there…"

Cardin gave Dove and "Asche" a pair of binoculars, focusing their attention to a familiar river within the heart of the forest.

"That river is where we'll be heading. There's a steep hill there so be sure to wear anything other than heels or your dance shoes." He jested, earning a 'screw you' from Dove. "Just beyond that is a small cavern, and going further past it, a plateau. That's where me and Russell got separated."

True to his words, the landmarks matched what the leader said. Though the forest concealed most of the places of interest, Cardin was quick to comfort the small idea of becoming lost.

"Don't worry about walking in circles either. We've got maps, compasses, and place markers. The maps will be our crutch and it's all courtesy of our resident artist here…" He concluded, gesturing to a busy Sky.

"Oh that's right, Sky's into drawing, right?" Dove responded.

"Yeah, but don't call it that." Cardin said, causing the group to stare at the enthralled and distracted boy. "He'll get feisty..."

The aforementioned Sky was entirely oblivious to his teammates. A patch of clearing had caught his attention, resulting in him frantically illustrating each possible detail he gathered from the distance.

Walkways, vantage points for acting the trees, surrounding shrubbery, soft and coarse patches of soil, and so on. Every detail of the clearing became enticing, he needed to include them in his many maps of the Emerald Forest. 

"...Isn't that right, Sky?" Cardin mused, lightly elbowing the boy.

"Shut up. I'm concentrating." Sky hissed, not daring to take his eyes away from his current sketching.

Aside from a slight breeze in the air, a hush fell over Dove and Cardin. Their Mouths threatened to drop ajar as they bore into the still self absorbed Sky. The unkindled one remained silent, but if it were possible, he would have become so quiet that even silence itself would become envious.

"D-did I say that out loud?!" Sky fearfully whispered.

...

...

Team CEDL then collected their belongings. The group used an eroded trail, several kilometers to the east, to begin their trip into the Emerald Forest. Their footing was uneven, not being helped by the weight of the gear they each carried. Still though, they pressed onward, wanting to find a clearing to set up camp as early as possible.

And as the team made their descent, "Asche's" scroll chimed yet again, signaling he was being messaged. Like before though, "Asche" let another montage of the electronic buzzing from his trouser pocket go unnoticed.

Above the treeline, a shadowy visage leaps from branch to branch. They were silent and had yet to gather what they came for. The figure followed the team, with a single person taking the brunt of their interest or more correctly, their employer's interest.

The stranger internally cursed their luck. Of all the days, of all the weekends, they were being forced to keep an eye on a group of delinquents and odd folk. Landing on a branch once more, the human-like shape set their eyes on the boy wearing the strange silver mask.

He carried the bulk of the team's supplies. A bag strapped over each shoulder and two more secured over his back. The boy seemed akin to that of a pack mule, but no sign of strain or exertion was made known.

CEDL's stalker found the sight amusing, but not nearly entertaining enough to make up for their poor circumstance. As the day carried into the night,  they stood by. Watching. Analyzing. Reporting.

Their gathered information was still inadequate...

______________________________

[BONFIRE: LIT]
_______________________

Author's Note
Tis I, LORD KIWI!

Let me know what you thought :)
Good? Bad? Constructive feedback is always appreciated.

I know uplands on this story are fairly slow, but I really do love working on this. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have an entire story planned out. I'm shooting for 60-80 chapters worth for this story alone.

But anyways, I hope you guys aren't getting upset with me adding quotations around Asche's name. I feel like it gets redundant, but I promise I'm doing it for a reason.

And as a final note...
I can't seem to dedicate myself to any other story other than this one. I've got loads of plans, but can't seem to bring myself to stretch them out enough. I guess I'll mess around with ideas for now.

Without a further ado..

["Arrivederci, My Fellow Plague Doctors"]

__________________________________

["...Don't you dare go hollow."]
__________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 539 51
Vale has fallen, but the fight isn't over yet. Salem has to be stopped or the same fate that fell upon Vale will fall on the other Kingdoms. But with...
98.3K 2.5K 106
Earth is an incredibly peaceful and beautiful World home to the amazingly intelligent Humans that live upon its surface. Upon these many, many Humans...
1.2K 7 5
Remnant is a land full of legends and stories. Some are more popularly known such The Story of the Seasons and the legend of the Silver-Warriors. How...
628 11 11
[A RWBY FanFiction, I do not own RWBY as it is the sole property of RosterTeeth and created by Monty Oum (RIP he was a great mind among us all). I ow...