A Court of Wings and Fate

By LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... More

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

65. Over the Edge

666 38 11
By LeeraIvy

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle shivered near the smoldering fire Mikael had built. They were camped beneath a rocky ledge, just beyond the mountain pass. Come morning, they would follow the rise of the land along the ridge. Ze'ev's attack would come, but somehow, they would defeat him and reach the monolith.

Estelle curled her hands beneath her face, staring at the glowing embers. She was sweating, but still felt so cold. Her ankle throbbed painfully. None of her other injuries were acting up though, and Mikael was all right.

He sat near the outer part of the ledge, keeping watch. He was paranoid that Ze'ev or his creatures would attack them before they reached the gorge. They had managed to avoid contact with other Illyrians at least, and there were very few animals this high up on the mountain. That also meant there was very little food, and Estelle's empty stomach constantly reminded her of that fact.

After a few minutes, Mikael returned to her side. He picked up their knives and set to work sharpening them, while making sure they were still firmly attached to the handles. His chestnut gaze slid to hers, his concern evident. "If things go poorly tomorrow, get to the monolith as quickly as you can. Let me buy you time."

Estelle shook her head. "I'm not leaving without you." She shivered violently and sweat beaded along her brow.

Mikael leaned over her and wiped it away. "If it comes to that, yes, you are. You are my first priority, Estelle. You need to get to safety. You need to find help. Your fever is getting worse by the minute. Other symptoms will begin to show soon."

Tears blurred her vision as she shook her head again. "No, we both survive or neither of us do."

"Estelle..." Mikael sighed.

"No. Don't ask me to leave you behind. I won't." Mikael watched her, resignation shining in his eyes. "I won't," Estelle repeated firmly. It was a struggle to keep her voice from shaking as she shuddered.

Mikael said nothing. He pulled her onto his lap and cradled her close to his chest. Estelle stroked the Bond, but he showed no signs of feeling the gesture. She closed her eyes, drawing in deep breaths. Her chest was tight and congested.

Mikael pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned his head back against the rocky wall. "Mother above, I need a drink."

"Me too," Estelle chuckled. "When we get out of here, I'm going to the cabin and stealing some of Aunt Mor's good alcohol."

"And then we're going to be mated," Mikael agreed. He kissed her hair softly.

"And after that?" Estelle prompted. Drowsiness tugged at her mind, but she managed to keep her eyes open.

"Get some sleep, Batsy."

"Answer the question, Feathers."

Mikael rolled his eyes, but smiled. "And then we're going home and sleeping for two weeks straight."

"Well, let me tell you what I think we should do." She hesitated a few moments, trying to catch her breath. Mikael leaned his head down and she brought her lips to his ear. "I think you should fuck me until I can't even walk."

His breath caught and he swallowed hard. "That fever is getting the better of you, Batsy, if that's what you're thinking about right now."

Estelle kissed him, shifting her hips in his lap. Mikael groaned softly into her mouth. A warm feeling fluttered through her stomach. "Admit that you think it's a good idea."

"It's a good idea," he rasped. "But not right now. You need to rest."

Estelle smiled and moved off his lap, curling up on the wolf skin again. Mikael drew in measured breaths, watching her through simmering eyes. She shivered again and her smile faded. Estelle closed her eyes.

Just before sleep claimed her, Mikael brushed a kiss to the spot beneath her ear. His breath was warm on her neck as he whispered, "I'm going to fuck you on every surface in my bedroom. Hard enough that the paintings and candle fixtures fall off the walls. And then, I'm going take you on my bed, on our bed, and worship you slowly. Deeply. Lovingly. Until I know you are completely satisfied."

Estelle shivered again, only partially from cold this time. She didn't open her eyes, but her lips curled into a smile. Mikael kissed her again, then withdrew. Sleep found her only moments later.

◦═══✦═══◦

A thin blanket of snow covered the ground when morning dawned. Mikael helped Estelle along the slippery terrain. The path they traveled on was sloping upwards now. The gorge was directly beneath them. When they reached the end of it, they'd have to scale the cliffside down to the monolith. With any luck, Mikael would be there to help Estelle down.

He couldn't stifle the dread he felt, though. Estelle's face was pale this morning, and sweat dotted her forehead even though she was shivering continuously. If Ze'ev overwhelmed them, he hoped Estelle would listen to him and run for the monolith while he bought her as much time as he could.

Estelle stumbled, but Mikael's arm kept her upright. He was practically carrying her. In fact, if it weren't for the snow covered ground, he would insist on carrying her. Her ankle was swollen again, even though he had rewrapped it and they kept it elevated at night.

"I can't breathe," Estelle whispered. "My chest feels tight."

Mikael paused, scanning the area around them. He could see no threats. "Breathe through your mouth if you have to." She attempted to do so and Mikael clenched his jaw, hearing the wheezing in her lungs.

A rancid scent wafted through the air and Mikael tensed. Estelle straightened at once, her lips slightly parted as she breathed. She drew one of her knives and Mikael formed a fist around his wolf claws.

"Don't let them separate us," Mikael said. "We'll push through them until we reach the cliffside. If we're overwhelmed..."

"I'm not leaving you," Estelle interrupted.

Mikael tilted her face up to his. He studied her amber eyes intently and smoothed short curls from her too warm forehead. "You always have to argue with me, don't you, Batsy?"

"Since we first met, Feathers," she replied. Her throat bobbed and she blinked swiftly. "Don't ask me to leave you behind. I can't. I won't."

Mikael glanced past her shoulder, eyeing the distance to the bottom of the gorge. She wouldn't leave him. Resolution settled across her features. He could already see the outlines of Ze'ev's numerous creatures, closing in on them. He knew what he had to do.

Mikael closed his eyes briefly, pressing their foreheads together. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He kissed her swiftly. "Get to the monolith."

"Wha..."

Estelle screamed as he shoved her over the lip of the ridge. Mikael didn't look down after her. He drew a knife from his belt and held it in his other hand. The living corpses moved closer. Mikael released a heavy breath and sprinted towards them.

They don't seem to recover from a blow to the heart, Mikael reminded himself. Make your blows count. He peered through the undead Illyrians and saw someone vaguely familiar land beyond them. It was Ze'ev. An idea dawned on him. Ze'ev is the one controlling them. Any blow I land on the creatures will affect him somehow. It must work the opposite way too. If I kill him, the corpses will collapse.

Mikael reached the throng and stabbed his knife through the heart of one corpse. He ripped through its chest and kicked it aside, keeping one eye on Ze'ev. The male winced, but that was all. Mikael prayed he didn't know where Estelle was. He prayed that Ze'ev would take the bait and attack him.

Black blood sprayed, coating his face and hair. Mikael didn't bother to wipe it away. He rolled beneath another creature's outstretched arms. Mikael leaped to his feet, driving his knife into its heart from behind. He twisted the blade and the corpse gave an eerie guttural howl before collapsing.

More were coming. Ze'ev hadn't wasted his time apparently. Mikael had to reach the male soon and end this. His breath came in short gasps and the ground was slick with blood. He lost track of how many corpses he took down. Bits of gore clung to his face. His stomach churned, but he pressed on. Ze'ev watched him, almost disinterestedly.

Mikael ceased attacking and began dodging between the groping corpses. He sidestepped one and rolled beneath another. Umbra was on his arm, pulling him in certain directions. Mikael obeyed the shadow and managed to avoid several unforeseen attacks.

He burst through the throng and readied his knife and clawed fist again. Ze'ev tilted his head with a cold grin. "I'll admit, you have impressed me. I didn't expect you to survive the Rite this long." His grin faded. "A halfbreed Peregryn has no right being involved in an Illyrian affair."

"So why did you bring me here?" Mikael retorted.

"To kill you, of course. To make Estelle Marzena suffer. To steal her loved ones from her, as she did to me."

"And then what? I know what magic you're using to do this. I know what it's doing to you. If you don't stop now, it will consume you entirely."

Ze'ev threw his head back with a laugh. "It already has. Say goodbye to this world, Bastard Lordling. You will not enjoy the next." Mikael braced himself as Ze'ev lunged.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle pushed herself to her hands and knees, trembling with fear and adrenaline. She had survived the fall and landed in a roll, sustaining very few injuries. She could hear sounds of a struggle overhead.

She managed to stand and stared at the ridge, hoping to catch a glimpse of Mikael. He was nowhere in sight. He'd thrown her off a cliff, hoping that she would save herself. Estelle shivered and gulped down a few shallow breaths.

She burst into a limping sprint, heading for the mouth of the pass. She was not going to leave Mikael behind, no matter what he wished. She would climb the cliffside and help him. Estelle shivered again, sweat running down her face.

An agonized scream rang through the gorge and fear clutched her heart. Estelle ran a little faster, fighting the urge to call out to Mikael. That would only distract him and draw Ze'ev's attention to herself. She had to try to catch him unawares. Estelle came to a stop at the end of the gorge.

The onyx monolith sat before her, glistening in the morning sunlight. Estelle stared at it, her heart racing. Perhaps she should listen to Mikael and get out now. She reached a hand towards the monolith. Another scream filled the air, catching her attention.

She flung herself onto the cliffside and began to climb, ignoring the distance between herself and the ground. Mikael needed her. She would not leave her mate behind. She would not leave him! Mikael screamed again, and the sound ignited burning fury in her gut.

Estelle hauled herself up the cliffside as quickly as she could. She didn't look down. She didn't flinch when rocks broke beneath her feet. She steadied herself and kept going. Estelle climbed and climbed and climbed. Mikael's screams were deafening.

She reached the top of the cliff and dragged herself onto the ridge. Estelle stood, drawing both of her knives. Mikael was sprawled on the ground, his blood staining the snow around him. Ze'ev stormed toward him, black siphons glowing with dark power. Mikael caught sight of Estelle and dismay shone in his eyes.

"Ze'ev!" Estelle hollered. The male whipped his head around, staring at her with wicked delight. "I'm the one you want, right? Come and get me."

Ze'ev laughed and stooped over Mikael. Estelle's eyes widened and she raced towards them. Ze'ev lifted Mikael by the throat. Mikael clawed at his hand desperately.

"Say goodbye, Bastard Lordling," Ze'ev scoffed. Mikael's eyes rolled back in his head. Estelle ran faster. Ze'ev hurled Mikael's body over the side of the ledge. Estelle skidded to a stop.

"Mikael!" She screamed, falling to her knees near the edge. Estelle cried his name again. There was no response. Ze'ev watched her, his delight evident. Estelle wailed as unrelenting pain crashed over her. "Mikael!"

"Now it's your turn," Ze'ev growled.

Estelle stiffened, tears running down her cheeks. She gripped her knives tightly and stood, ignoring the pain in her ankle and the way her heart had shattered into pieces. "No, Ze'ev. It's yours." She faced him, amber eyes molten with rage.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.9K 1.3K 55
Two years have passed since Mikael Anik and Estelle Marzena survived the Illyrian Blood Rite and were mated. They've finally settled into their new l...
911K 38.3K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
55.8K 1.2K 64
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART] As the heir to the crown of Terrasen, Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius has always felt more responsibili...
31.1K 630 14
|| Highest ranking: #9 in protection βš”οΈ #1 in A Court Of Thorns and Roses🌹 #7 in Sarah J Maas πŸ§πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ || "What?" Rhys asked, frowning at Mor. She s...