No Turning Back

By BlueEyedDoctor

This is book two in my series titled "Roses and Blood" Series list: Book One: Into The Aether ... More

Chapter One: No Turning Back
Chapter Two: Dr Karl von Rohr Pt. 1
Chapter Three: Dr Karl von Rohr Pt. 2
Chapter Four: The Hivemind
Update
Chapter Five: Samantha's Return
Chapter Six: A Deal With The Devil
Update To Schedule
Chapter Seven: A Christmas Special Pt. 1
Chapter Eight: A Christmas Special Pt.2
Update
Chapter Nine: A Heady Past Pt. 1
Chapter Ten: A Heady Past Pt. 2
Update
Chapter Eleven: A Heady Past Pt. 3
Chapter Twelve: A Heady Past Pt. 4
Chapter Thirteen: Alone
Update
Chapter Fourteen: Assailant
Chapter Fifteen: Painful Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Telepathic
Chapter Seventeen: Back At The Cosmodrome
Small update of doom
Chapter Eighteen: Burning The Midnight Oil
Chapter Nineteen: Weakness
Chapter Twenty: Self-Discipline
Chapter Twenty-One: Action Stations!
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Other Self
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Past Should Stay Dead
Chapter Twenty-Four: Kampf
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Rider Of The Pale Horse Pt. 1
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Rider Of The Pale Horse Pt.2
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Rider Of The Pale Horse Pt. 3
Note: The Rider Of The Pale Horse
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Clairvoyance
Sorry ๐Ÿ˜”
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Seeing Is Believing?
Oopsies ๐Ÿ˜…
Chapter Thirty: An Inconvenient Revelation
Chapter Thirty One: Strange Happenings
Chapter Thirty-Two: Here We Go Again!
Chapter Thirty-Three: New Arrival
Chapter Thirty-Four: Deceived No More
Update
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Devil's Footsoldier
Update
Chapter Thirty-Six: Shadows In The Night
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Trucker Dempsey
Update
Chapter Thirt-Nine: Inner Courage
Chapter Fourty: The Lifting Of The Veil
Update and News!
Chapter Fourty-One: Divine Intervention
Chapter Fourty-Two: Drowning
Chapter Fourty-Three: Reunion
Chapter Fourty-Four: Reminiscence
Chapter Fourty-Five: Processing The Evening's Action
Chapter Fourty-Six: Her
Chapter Fourty-Seven: The Generator
Chapter Fourty-Eight: Creeping Doubts
Chapter Fourty-Nine: Until We Meet Again...
End of Book Two!

Chapter Thirty Seven: Another Close Call!

217 13 6
By BlueEyedDoctor

The heavenly glow of the morning light had finally pierced through the crushing darkness of the night. When I opened my eyes, I took solace in its cleansing white light. I would be safe once more before the night crept around again. But as I felt my fears melt away, I realised I was looking into a familiar pair of icy blue eyes.

"Güten morgen", Primis whispered gently with a warm smile.

"Good morning", I smiled.

"Ugh, what a night..." I groggily yawned to myself - not realising Primis heard me.

"Vhy? Vhat happened?" Primis enquired anxiously.

"Oh, please don't worry. I just couldn't sleep last night and then there was this strange noise which I had to get up and investigate", I began.

"--but it was nothing!" I lied - deliberately omitting my exchange with Samantha.

For some reason, I just wanted to forget about her threats. I did not want to believe that she and Maxis would actually place me in the same category as Richtofen. I mean, they tried to trick me! And in all honesty, Primis was clearly worried about me as it was. In fact, everyone seemed to always be worrying about me and whether I was safe. They did not need any more anxiety!

"But I did see Dempsey and the others -- they went to see Richtofen. It's our Richtofen... Samantha lied, Edward", I continued as I tried to keep the conversation going.

"Hm, I see. But if it is zhe same Richtofen zhen vhy vould she lie like zhat?" Primis mused.

"Yeah, well, she's still a kid after all. And kids don't really play the long game - she probably thought she could trick us into making a rash decision and just shoot first and ask questions later", I tried to explain on the child's behalf.

"Und vhat about zhe deal jou made?" Primis recalled with apprehension.
"What deal?" I tried to chuckle lightly.

"Kiana, jou know vhat zhe consequences are if jou go against Samanzha und Dr Maxis", Primis warned.

"Yeah, yeah. Get pursued to the ends of the earth-- beg for my life, be tortured and meet a painful end. Sure, that's probably still on the table as far as they are concerned but I don't have any intention of that happening!" I smiled awkwardly.

"Nein, ve vill not allow zhat to happen. But Samanzha und Maxis vill stay true to zheir vord. Ve vill need to protect you--" Primis began before I interrupted.

"Please, Edward... it's just too early in the morning to be thinking about this stuff", I mumbled dismissively as I averted my gaze down to my knees.

"I vas-- I just vant to keep jou safe", Primis replied.

"I know, and I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry, Edward. Let's just cross that bridge when we come to it. But for now, we need to focus in Richtofen. I want to see him for myself", I explained.

"Kiana..." Primis trailed off as he gave me a stern look.

"Oh, come on! I just mean I'd like to observe him -- from afar!" I tried to justify.

"Ve still do not know for sure yet vhether he is zhe original Richtofen. I just vant to remain cautious until I have zhe chance to observe him", Primis smiled reassuringly.

"I know. But speaking of which!" I exclaimed as we heard voices in the distance.

We could both make out Dempsey's deep voice as it furiously contended with Richtofen's. And in a moment of panic, we realised that the men were heading our way. Primis jumped to his feet and quickly grabbed my bag as we darted over to the staircase which lead up to a barrier.

The field of strewn wreckage served as places of cover to get us there. I was the first to weave myself through the metal frame of the staircase before Primis closely followed behind. As we continued onwards; we made our way out of the area. From my recollection of the game; we were now technically outside the map. 

There was a mid high concrete barrier which sat amongst some dying shrubbery. Some of the foliage still managed to retain most of its leaves although they had already begun to decay from their stems. We quickly dove in as the sound of the men's voices grew louder. Once we were in position we turned to watch the scene unfold. 

"Uh, doc. Why have we gotta be here?" Dempsey asked anxiously.

"Yes, Richtofen. There is nothing of value here besides the lander", Takeo added.

It was clear from their tone that both men had been trying their best to talk Richtofen out of coming to this part of the facility. They knew Primis and I were hiding out here but thankfully their loud voices alerted us in time. Both men's faces were awash with relief when they looked around to find no trace of us. 

"Nein! Be quiet!" Richtofen snapped.
The doctor stopped in his tracks and lifted a gloved finger to the air. He silently scanned the surrounding area with predatory accuracy as his brow furrowed.

"C'mon doc, there's nothin there. Don't tell me you're hearin things!" Dempsey interrupted which annoyed Richtofen. 

"Shut up!" Richtofen hissed as he stepped forward towards our hiding place before stopping at the metal fence beside the staircase. 

His dangerous glare scanned the horizon as his eye sifted through the littered debris. The others nervously followed behind as they tried to conceal their concern. Richtofen payed them no mind as he continued on his mysterious quest. The German's eyes then locked onto an aircraft turbine which sat within a large crater near to where Primis and I were hiding. Richtofen glared at the structure with pursed lips before he jolted to attention. 

"Bah! Zhat vould never vork!" Richtofen grumbled to himself. 

The doctor then marched off chastising himself with his brow still wrinkled in deep thought. Takeo and Dempsey both let out a sigh of relief as they quickly chased after Richtofen. Nikolai had taken a seat on a broken electrical box whilst he rested and watched the others fumble their way through the area. 

"Ayyy, can Nikolai go back to sleep now?" The Russian slurred groggily.

"Oh, mein precious Nikolai! Please do try to shtay avake a liiiiiittle vhile longer", Richtofen cooed.

"I am just looking for zhe right parts to build meinshelf a shiny new generator!" Richtofen announced happily.

"Um, Richtofen..." Dempsey began.
"VHAT IS IT, SHTUPID AMERICAN?! I AM SICK UND TIRED OF JOUR INTERRUPTIONS!" Richtofen growled as his demeanour suddenly changed. 

"THERE'S A FUCKIN GENERATOR OVER WHERE YOU ARRIVED! DUMBASS!" Dempsey screamed back.
Richtofen paused for a minute as he recalled his arrival. And, of course, outside the map in the distance there lay a semi-working generator which sparked and whirred away - just waiting to be recalibrated and repaired.

"Hm, I vas looking forward to building vone from scratch..." Richtofen murmured defiantly as he avoided Dempsey's glare.

"Yeah, well you kinda DON'T NEED TO on this fuckin occasion" Dempsey growled condescendingly which sent Richtofen marching towards him with a murderous glare.

"Please, let us proceed to the generator!" Takeo intervened as he bravely maneuvered himself between the men.

"Ja, jou are right, Takeo. Ve vouldn't vant to vaste energy on a shtupid American now vould ve?" Richtofen hissed whilst glaring at Dempsey.
"Da! The sooner we find generator the sooner Nikolai can take his nap!" Nikolai proclaimed joyfully.

The four men then made their way back with Richtofen leading the way. Dempsey trailed behind deliberately dragging his feet as he nonchalantly tried to look around for Primis and I. When Richtofen was safely out of view; I stuck a hand out of the bushes to reassure him that we were fine. The marine immediately perked up upon seeing my signal and confidently jogged on to join the others.

"Never a dull moment with them is there?" I whispered to Primis with a smile.

"Ja, zhat is for sure!" Primis smiled nervously.

"Let's follow them and get a good view of the action. It should be interesting to see how they get that generator fixed and sent over to Dr Gersch!" I smiled as Primis agreed.

End of part thirty-seven...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 425 20
Not an arranged marriage story.. Love not to be completed. ... ________________________________________ CHITRESHร— AATHMIKA. Two people who cannot l...
22.2K 712 45
This is book one in my series titled "Roses and Blood" Series list: Book One: Into The Aether Book Two: No Turning Back ...
1.7K 539 41
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Book three of the Princess Eleanora series. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
107K 2.5K 38
๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ'๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ, ๐˜ฃ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ต? ๐˜ž๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๏ฟฝ...