THIN ICE |BOOK I |BWWM|

By the_euphoriaaa

After a failed marriage with the Underboss of one of the most powerful crime families, Julia Nicolette Manisc... More

β€’COPYRIGHTβ€’
β€’AUTHOR'S NOTEβ€’
β€’CHARATERSβ€’
β€’α΄˜Κ€α΄ΚŸα΄Ι’α΄œα΄‡β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 1β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 2β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 2, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 3β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 4β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 5β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 6β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 7β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 8β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 9β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 10β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 11β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 12β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 13β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 14β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 15β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 16β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 17β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 18β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 19β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 20β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 21β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 22β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 23β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 24, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› Iβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 24, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 25β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 26, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› Iβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 26, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 27β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 28β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 29β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 30β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 31β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 32β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 33β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 34β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 35β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 36β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 38β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 39 - α΄›Κœα΄€Ι΄α΄‹ Κα΄α΄œβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 40 - Q&Aβ€’

β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 37β€’

459 36 13
By the_euphoriaaa

•SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

Step one: Watch As The Prey Gathers 

A few months ago I was experiencing bouts of insomnia. At first I tried fighting them- no naps during the day, not using my phone after eight o'clock at night, and taking relaxing baths before bed. Nothing really worked, so to fill the spaces between night and morning I spent my time binging nature documentaries.

In the beginning I only watched because I figured the narrator's voice would lull me to sleep, but the action between the animals did the complete opposite.

One episode about saltwater crocodiles was especially interesting.

The narrator introduced the predators as strategic hunters with top tier techniques. Often hunting at banks of rivers, they would lie just below the waters surface and wait for animals like zebras and impalas to drink.

While their prey was cautiously sipping water, the crocs would jump out of the water without warning, catching the animal between its teeth and roll its body until the animal drowned.

Although their teeth didn't tear it's victims flesh to kill it, the cunning attack coupled with the death spiral was more than enough.

Amazing.

• • • •

"Do you have everything?" Adrian questioned from the chair sitting against the floor to ceiling window.

"I don't need you to watch me. I'm not five." I snapped as I closed the final dresser drawer.

"Just making sure everything goes smoothly today. That's all."

My armpits moistened as I fought the pause in my movements.

"Why wouldn't it?"

"You can never be too careful." His words rolled from his slick tongue as his footsteps clicked toward me.

I cleared off any trinkets on the top of the dresser that I may have left and tossed them in my purse.

"Just think, this time tomorrow we'll be in Jersey. You and Nicky will be back home where you belong."

As I grabbed the mini pack of tissues, Adrian's stare steamed my back, forcing the hair on my neck to stand upright.

I swallowed the hard knot choking me and turned around to meet his gaze directly.

"L-Let me ask you something. What's the deal with Gaia? I mean, what exactly is it that she does for you- besides the obvious."

"Gaia is a figurehead - a placeholder."

"Andres told me she's with you because Don Franco said you needed to be married to take over the business."

Adrian's palm brushed back curls layered over the top of my head, "Contrary to what you believe, my brother didn't know everything. Like I said, Gaia is a placeholder."

"Is it because she can't get pregnant?" I pushed his hand away.

"That's one reason."

"What's the other one?"

"Julia, I'm not in the mood to play twenty questions with you. Our flight leaves in two hours." Adrian stepped back and marched to the door.

"Wait, I need to ask one more thing. It's a favor."

"What?"

"I made a lot of memories here and met a lot of people. One of my friends died about two years ago, and every year I visit their grave. I'll miss the anniversary this year."

"Your question- ask it."

"Can I visit them one last time?"

"No."

"But...C'mon Adrian. It's been six years, but I know you still have a heart somewhere in there. Please. How can I be a good wife to you knowing how terribly I left my friend. I couldn't possibly-

"Alright!...alright. We can go. You have fifteen minutes to be downstairs then we're leaving. Don't make me come back up to get you."

"I won't. Thank you." I smiled.

• • • •

Step Two: Wait, Then Attack

Getting everyone in the SUVs took an eternity. With much convincing, Adrian finally agreed to ride in second SUV with Gaia- leaving Nick and I alone with Lorenzo, our driver, and two other men.

The voice in the back of my mind wanted me to feel pity for Gaia and keep her out of harm's way, but a crocodile can't help who comes to the watering hole.

I hadn't realized how many men Adrian brought with him to San Francisco, but as long as the truck Nick and I rode in lead the caravan, the plan would be just fine. 

"Are we going back home now?" Nicolai questioned as he held his stomach and laid over my lap.

"Not quite baby. We have to go to New Jersey for a while, but trust me; we aren't staying. We're coming ba-."

"You shouldn't lie to the boy." Lorenzo barred my words, leaving them hanging in my throat.

"Are you sure you're allowed to talk to me?"

I'm allowed to do a lot things.", he eyed me from the rear view mirror, "And if you knew what I do, you wouldn't talk all reckless."

My brows pulled to the center of my forehead as the decision to keep quiet won over my curious tendency.

We were on our own at the moment and didn't need to pique anyone's interest any more than we already did.

"Where's this cemetery?" Lorenzo glanced back at me.

I gave Lorenzo the address of a cemetery that would put our caravan on the path of direct contact with Olivia's team.

"Indulge me." Lorenzo spoke up as we neared the location.

"What?" I clutched my purse.

"How did you convince Andres help you?"

"It didn't take much convincing. He just had to see how much pain I was in and my need to get away... from...Adrian." I responded with fragmented sentences as I noticed Lorenzo allowing the SUV behind us to take the lead.

"Um, why did you pull behind them?"

"Excuse me?"

I unbuckled my seat belt and slid to the edge of the cushion while pointing to Adrian's SUV driving in front of us.

"Why aren't we in front anymore?"

"I don't answer to you. I'm doing my job, so sit back."

"I just think we should be in the front. We're the most important." My thoughts rambled.

"What did I-"

A deafening twist of metal split my eardrums and sent me flying into the front seat as glass gruffly sprinkled over me and the car flipped on its hood.

Screeching tires and burnt rubber flooded my senses as we spun like a top finally scraping the bitter concrete enough to stop the rotation.

A lone hiss of the smokey engine floated me in and out of consciousness as my eyes desperately tried to make sense of the mush of shapes and shadows.

"Get down!"

"Vattene via!" (Back away!) 

"Drop the gun Adrian!"

Gun shots and serval hostile voices rang out as I caught a glimpse of Nick curled in a ball against what would have been the rear window.

"Outta the car, stronzo!"

"Attento!" (Watch out!)

Glass crinkled under my gashed hands and knees as I flipped on my side. I groaned the second I moved and slugged through the tattered metal and unconscious men contorted within the seats.

"Grab her!" A far away but familiar voice shouted while my fingertips tasted the ends of Nicolai's clothing.

My arm stretched farther but froze as a sharp pain in my waist from a stray shard of glass drew all my attention.

"Help!" My lungs nearly collapsed as I screamed.

Sneaker scuffles neared the totaled vehicle accompanied by a concerned answer.

"Julia? Where are you? Where's Nick?" Gaia asked as she dropped to her knees and peered under the ruble.

"I-I'm right....I'm right here." I reached out again and Gaia's hand eagerly brushed past mine.

"Are you okay? Where's Nick?"

"He's near the back by the window. Help me get him."

"Okay. Can you move?" She questioned while keeping her eyes on me. 

"N-No. There's glass..."

Without hesitation Gaia rushed to the busted back window and carefully hosted Nicky from the the crushed trunk.

"Got him." She announced seemingly to herself.

"Good.", I heaved, "Lay him down and grab my hand. I'm almost out; I just need help."

"No. I don't think so." Gaia bitterly chuckled as she knocked on the crushed door and skirted away with Nick in her arms.

"Gaia!"

"Bye Julia."

"Nick!"

My lungs cracked within my chest as blood pooled in my mouth, dripping down the sides of my lips.

I dug my nails into the ground below and trudged across the hood of the car, only making it a few feet before my mind succumbed to the dark shadow weighing heavy on my eyelids, forcing them closed.

• • • •

Step Three: Enjoy Your Kill...Maybe

Sometimes I think back to that episode of the crocodile and I wonder if this impenetrable predator ever missed a kill?  

Maybe it underestimated its prey or was too cocky.

The narrator explained that a crocodile has the strongest bite of any any animal and a tail that's able to disorient its victim, but it has a weakness.

As the scene continued, the crocodile eventually caught an impala in its deadly jaws. As it was being dragged under, the impala went for the most vulnerable body part. 

It went for the croc's eyes.

After being released, then impala leaped away, leaving the crocodile with nothing.

A/N: hey y'all! Thanks for reading! I'm sorry this took so long to get out, but I wanted to get it just right. Love you all!

Btw are you ready for the final two chapters? 😮

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.2K 1.7K 64
He seemed like the devil. He was evil. Cruel. She was always portrayed as a weapon. A tool. An occasional use. One wrong turn -literally- and ever...
595K 14.4K 35
His finger trailed up my thigh ever so gently causing my pussy complete torture. He knew what he was doing. He knew this was driving me completely cr...
171K 4.5K 19
"I was tortured, every day, and no one helped me." She whispered meekly. "We would've done something‐." She cut him off, slowly looking up, avoiding...
1.2M 27K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...