A Court of Wings and Fate

By LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... More

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

58. Deciding Claims

712 40 16
By LeeraIvy

Estelle sat on the bed beside Mikael's unconscious form, stroking his hair. Thesan held glowing hands over one of Mikael's injuries, healing it effortlessly. Ameer wasn't at the Palace. He had remained at the training grounds to deal with the aftermath of Ronan's death.

The shadows nestled in Mikael's hair and rubbed against his cheek. The Prince of Sunrises has no dreams, they said. His sleep is empty and restless.

That's because he's unconscious, not exactly asleep, Estelle replied.

Thesan straightened with a weary sigh. "He'll be all right. Just a little bruised and sore." The High Lord headed towards the door.

"I killed Ronan. Will there be consequences?" Estelle asked, not looking away from Mikael. She'd been fighting her instincts the entire time he dueled Ronan. Now, they urged her to protect him and not let him out of her sight.

"No," Thesan murmured. "Ronan broke the rules of the Vendetta by attacking Mikael after the fight had been won. You were in your rights to kill him to protect Mikael. If you hadn't moved when you did, I would've beat you to it."

"I didn't know it was a competition. I'd have given you a head start." Estelle lifted her gaze briefly, a smile playing on her lips.

Thesan returned it. "You had more of a right to Ronan's life than I did."

She shook her head. "That's not true. And, anyway, I wish Mikael had done it."

Thesan rested his hand on the doorframe, glancing at his son. Estelle resisted the urge to hide him with her wings. The shadows whispered soothing words in her ears, helping her remain calm.

"I'm glad he didn't," Thesan said, at last. "Everyone in that camp knows how Ronan treated Mikael. Watching him spare Ronan's life, when he had every right to take it, shows them who he really is and what he's capable of. Did you see the way they looked at the two of you before Mikael passed out?"

Estelle shook her head. She'd been too focused on her mate. On the blood staining his clothes. The dirt on his face. The bruises around his throat. The rasp in his voice and the wheeze in his lungs. She bent down, resting her head on Mikael's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart and the ease with which he drew breath.

"How did they look at us?" She murmured.

"Most of them looked at you, you specifically, with fear. The rest of them watched you both, watched Mikael, and bowed their heads in respect when you walked past." Thesan swallowed, another smile flickering across his lips. "They have finally shown him respect." He ducked out the door without another word.

Estelle squeezed her eyes shut. You shouldn't have had to almost die just for them to begin showing you respect, she thought.

Warm, flaming talons scraped at her mental shields presently. Estelle lowered them and her mother's presence swept in. What the hell, Estelle? Seren demanded. What were you thinking? Do you know how worried we've been? We only just received a letter from Commander Ameer, letting us know you're back. Are you all right?

I'm fine, Mom, Estelle replied. I know I worried you. I'm sorry, but I had to go. I couldn't let Mikael go on his own. You should understand that.

I do, but you couldn't have told me first?

Thesan and Ameer said the same thing. Nyx knew where we'd gone.

I know! He's the one who told me! You can't just... You need to... Seren gave a frustrated groan.

I'm all right, Mom. I swear.

Before you went to the Dawn Court, you had just recovered from nearly dying!

Estelle bit her lip, straightening as she watched Mikael. Mikael is recovering from that right now.

What? What happened?

Estelle rubbed her forehead with a sigh. I'll explain later, Mom. I'm exhausted. I spent eight days in the mountains and returned only to watch my mate nearly get himself killed. I need to take care of Mikael and rest before I do anything more.

Seren echoed her sigh. All right, but I'm expecting answers as soon as you're able to give them. I'll let everyone know you're all right. Will you be home soon?

I assume so.

I love you.

I love you too, Mom. Estelle restored her shields as Seren's presence retreated.

She pressed a kiss to Mikael's temple and slid off the bed. She stepped out onto the balcony, letting the cool evening breeze soothe her mind. Estelle drew a deep breath. The fresh scent of spring filled the air. Winter was nearly at an end.

Estelle sat down on a carved marble bench, next to the doorway, leaning her head back against the wall. The shadows draped themselves over her neck as she closed her eyes. It wasn't long before the quiet darkness of sleep crept over her.

◦═══✦═══◦

Mikael opened his eyes with a groan. It took a moment for him to realize where he was. His room was dark, save for glowing faelights, a few lit candles, and the crackling fireplace. He sat up and winced as his head began to spin. Mikael could scent Estelle, but there was no sign of her. Shadows squeezed his arms and Umbra pulled him towards the balcony door.

Mikael stood on unsteady legs and crossed the room. He poked his head outside. The moon shone brilliantly overhead. He followed its silvery rays down to where Estelle was asleep on a bench. His heart clenched with momentary pain. He'd nearly lost her. She had nearly lost him. She had killed Ronan for him.

Mikael knelt in front of her, resting his hands on her knees. Estelle woke with a start. She relaxed, spying him. "You're awake. How do you feel?"

"Like I was almost strangled to death." Mikael took her hands in his own, kissing her knuckles lightly. He rotated her left arm and kissed the tattoo on her inner wrist. "And like I'm in desperate need of food, alcohol, and a bath."

Estelle smiled. "I'm pretty sure most people would argue against you drinking anything but water right now."

"I'll share if you don't tell," Mikael snickered. He helped her up and they returned to the bedroom. With a snap of his fingers, the room grew brighter and a tray of food appeared on a table, as well as a few dark bottles and glasses of water.

Estelle needed no further prompting. She took a plate from the tray and dug in hungrily. Mikael followed suit, taking a few sips of water in between bites of food. Estelle paused, a thoughtful look in her eyes.

"What is it?" Mikael asked.

Estelle bit her lip, then shook her head. "Nothing." Mikael sensed her hesitation, but didn't press her for further answers.

When they'd finished eating, they entered the bathroom. Mikael brought along a bottle of champagne, two glasses, and a bowl of grapes. Estelle filled the tub with warm water while Mikael examined his lingering bruises. There was a ring of them around his neck. Several marks dotted his torso and back. Mikael grimaced and sparked his magic to life, passing his hand over the dark spots. They faded from view and he gave a sigh of relief.

"Does your father not know how to heal bruises?" Estelle asked.

Mikael shrugged. "I would imagine he does. It probably just didn't occur to him." He stepped out of his pants while Estelle shucked off her own clothes.

They settled into the tub and Mikael gave a sigh of relief. Estelle leaned into him and he traced his fingers lightly over the curve of her shoulder. He reached for one of the champagne glasses with his other hand.

"Let me," Estelle murmured. He knit his brows as she took the glass from his hand. She held it to his lips and he drank.

"What was that for?" Mikael asked. Estelle grabbed his preening comb off a table and set to work on one of his wings. He half closed his eyes, relieved at the sensation of his feathers being straightened.

"Just...because." Her voice sounded surprisingly choked.

He opened his eyes. Estelle didn't look at him. She kept her focus on his wings, which dangled over the lip of the tub. Her own were partially submerged in water. Mikael's gaze roamed over her and he stroked the Bond, letting her feel his love and desire.

"We've done a lot of...almost dying lately," Estelle whispered. "I felt how close you were to dying today. Another moment longer and the Bond would have begun to break. I might've lost you." She met his gaze, her eyes rimmed with tears.

"We could've died in the landslide. I could've died when I was attacked in the mountains. We haven't even been officially mated yet. We haven't...We haven't had time together. Time to see what we'll become. What we'll do. How we'll grow." Estelle looked away again.

Mikael brushed his hand against her cheek, turning her face back towards his. He kissed her softly, then waited for her to go on. "I want us to have that time," she said. "I want us to be mated by a priestess. As soon as possible."

Mikael blinked in surprise. "But you haven't completed the Blood Rite yet. You wanted to do that. You want to be a Carynthian warrior. You..."

"That's not as important to me as you are," Estelle interrupted. "Those are goals I have. Hopes and dreams, but you...you are my heart. My life. My very soul. All of that fades into nothingness when I think of having to face a world without you in it. Someday, I will enter the Rite and take my place with the Illyrian warriors, but right now, my place is with you."

"I..." Mikael hesitated. "Are you sure, Estelle? Is this what you really want?"

She nodded. "I want you."

Mikael stared at her, then gave a breathless laugh and kissed her. She threw her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. She pulled away at last and reached behind him. He couldn't help it. His gaze dropped briefly. Estelle merely smirked, catching sight of his expression.

She drew closer, now holding the bowl of grapes. Mikael met her gaze, understanding dawning on him. She touched her fingertips to his lips, then offered him a grape. Mikael accepted it, letting the sweet flavor wash over his tongue. Tears misted his vision. She was feeding him. It was yet another intimate tradition they had finally completed. Estelle fed him a few more grapes before setting the bowl aside.

She downed the rest of his glass of champagne and straddled his lap, kissing him. Mikael let her lead, sensing the need that drifted through her thoughts. She did not want to go slow. She did not want it to be gentle. She needed to know, to feel, that he was alive. That he was hers. She wanted to claim him as hers.

"Whatever you need, Love," Mikael breathed as she kissed his neck. "Do whatever you want."

She leaned her forehead against his and stuck her hand underwater. He groaned as she gripped him. His body already ached. She guided him to where she wanted him and Mikael grunted at her harsh jerks. His chest heaved with uneven breaths.

Estelle slid onto him and began rocking her hips in rough, uneven strokes. Mikael let himself match her movements, arching his hips off the tub floor with hard thrusts. Estelle leaned her head back and moaned, digging her nails into his shoulder blades. He would never tire of that feeling.

"More, Love?" Mikael panted.

In response, Estelle ground against him brutally. He held her by the back of the neck and a low growl climbed out of his throat. Mikael crushed his mouth to hers, nudging her lips apart. His tongue met hers and heat burned through his veins.

She wanted it rough. He knew how to give it rough. "My turn," he grunted, breaking off the kiss briefly. He stood, lifting Estelle out of the tub with him. "Hold onto me." Estelle obeyed, locking her arms around his neck and tightening her legs above his hips. "Shift your wings."

Mikael pressed her up against a wall and she obeyed, moving her wings into a position where they wouldn't be jarred uncomfortably. Mikael braced his hands on either side of her shoulders. He held her gaze, letting her see the searing desire that burned within him. Estelle gave him a small nod.

"Tell me if it hurts too much," Mikael growled, before capturing her lips in another claiming kiss. He began to fuck her with enough force to rattle the candle fixtures on the wall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 3.8K 51
She was born into darkness and chained to a beast of horns... Being mated to my father's worst enemy was a nightmare I never dreamed of. 《》 As the d...
654K 24.4K 71
{ACOTAR AU - BOOK 1} "The Daughter of Dawn and the Spymaster of the Night Court locked eyes... and the mating bond snapped into place." After sufferi...
910K 38.3K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
26.9K 1.3K 55
Two years have passed since Mikael Anik and Estelle Marzena survived the Illyrian Blood Rite and were mated. They've finally settled into their new l...