Skateboards and Songbirds

By Sunshine_Vampire

just your typical gay romance sort of 🤙 More

Chapter One: Still Friends?
Chapter Two: Café Boy
Chapter Three: Flashbacks in Dreams
Chapter Four: Recovery
Chapter Five: Deaths
Chapter Six: Calico Origins
Chapter Seven: The Legend of the Wendigo
Chapter Eight: Memories
Chapter Nine: A Dance in the Rain
Chapter Ten: Family
Chapter Eleven: Bar Date
Chapter Twelve: A failed? mission
Chapter Thirteen: Aquarium
Chapter Fourteen: Party
Chapter Fifteen: Distance
Chapter Sixteen: Numb
Chapter Eighteen: Healing & Holidays
Chapter Nineteen: New Years Concert
Chapter Twenty: Return
Chapter Twenty One: Breakout and Reunion
Chapter Twenty Two: Memories
Chapter Twenty Three: Choi Industries
Chapter Twenty Four: Wake Up Calico

Chapter Seventeen: Missing in Action

30 2 0
By Sunshine_Vampire

It made his entire skin itch.
Being with anyone at the moment felt entirely wrong.
Everything felt wrong since that day he had last seen Kade.

But he wasn't going to say anything.
Nobody would take him seriously anyway.
They would just say, oh you'll get over it, or it's not a big deal.

But to Calico, it was a big deal.
He made the one person in the world who he wanted to be completely devoted to- hate him so much that he left him. By opening his stupid mouth.

He shouldn't have told Kade everything at once. He should've given him more time to process things. Maybe then Kade would've taken things a little better. And maybe if he hadn't said those awful words about sleeping with Aaron to his face, maybe they could have remained friends at least.

He had a little scare the other day, when he caught sight of Kade sitting under a bridge half asleep it seemed.
He had sent his cat over to Kade to comfort him, because he didn't think that he would be of any help to Kade with what he needed right then.

What he didn't expect was for Kade to straight up take the cat to wherever he lived currently.
He had looked so tired, so beaten, so lonely, Calico only felt the weight in his chest grow worse knowing Kade's emotions were so screwed up at the moment.

He didn't know what to do.

And messing around with Derek hasn't been helping anything.

Sure Calico had done his fair share of messing around with people without attachments to them, but when it came to the situation at hand, messing with Derek felt wrong.

Anytime the two were even near each other, Calico felt like he couldn't fully be himself. He felt like if he did, he would make Derek dislike him in someway and would break off the engagement.
Not that he would be opposed to doing so- but at the moment- that would mean Calico would've lost Kade for nothing.
Plus it would mean disappointing his father, and that was the last thing anyone in their right mind would do when their father ran a gang and had a track record of killing people who were of inconvenience to him.

Calico's mind ran so rampant it was difficult for him to ever think properly most days.
On said days, he would often be seen, or heard, driving through town in the middle of the night, listening to LoFi songs that people would often use to go to sleep too.

One night in particular, Calico decided a walk through the park would be better than a drive, and stepped out of his car, almost to get run down by a motorcycle blaring some sort of emo music about blood on my hands if Calico was hearing properly.

He shouldn't have been surprised to see Kade stepping off that motorcycle, not even batting Calico an eye.
He must've not even seen him to begin with, but Calico was almost mesmerized just watching Kade pull his helmet off, shake his head so his hair would fall into place, and slip inside a restaurant.

It was the fact Kade didn't even have to do anything to get Calico this fixated that had Calico panicking more than before.

If it was so easy for him to be like that towards Kade, then why was it so hard for him to try to actually fix things with him in the first place?
Calico knew why.
His fear of rejection was difficult to ignore.

He didn't want Kade to turn him down a second time. If this is how Kade acted after one attempt, then a second would be catastrophic.

So Calico ran.

He ran away from the damned restaurant.

He popped in his earbuds, simply trying to tune out everything around him except for the flickering of the streetlamps, the noises of the cars, the dripping water from the recent rain, and the heavy footfalls that were directly behind him following at a rather quick pace.

If Calico picked up on one thing, it was the fact that he knew he shouldn't make it aware he knew he was being followed.
Because the minute he did, he would have to immediately come up with a way to run out of whatever fight was coming.

"You're watching Dollface closely too eh?"

At the sound of Aaron's voice, he knew he wasn't going to choose a peaceful solution to this night.
Calico pulled up short, waiting for Aaron to step beside him, stopping so they were side by side.

"Have you noticed? How much quieter he's gotten? How dark the circles are under his eyes? How little he eats anymore?" Aaron almost purred, choosing to walk around Calico in a circle.
"He tosses and turns at night because of how badly you treated him. You hardly took into consideration what he was going through and tried to fuck him. You made his life hell by being close to him- but not as bad as he could've made yours."

Calico bit the inside of his cheek at the last comment. Aaron could insult him to the moon and back, but say one thing about Kade? And that's his biggest mistake.

"Someone like Kade would destroy you before you could blink. He would emotionally manipulate you to no end just to get what he wants-" Aaron had the audacity to laugh here. "That's all he wanted anyway. The instant you brought up having an arranged fiancé- he ran. All he wanted was to fuck you and leave, but when you didn't give him that, he left himself."
"All he is, is a nasty little whore-"

Aaron couldn't finish whatever he was going to say about Kade, because Calico's fist hit him square in the mouth.

Aaron sputtered before retaliating with a speed Calico hadn't realized he had until he was gripping his own mouth, tasting blood from the split spot on his lip.
As much as it was a bad idea to get into a fistfight with someone who was born and raised to fight, Calico didn't care. Not if he was defending Kade's honor. Especially the honor he tried to defile.

Aaron raised his fist to go in again, but Calico saw it coming this time and ducked under his arm, punching his gut before kicking him square in the back, sending Aaron's ass face into the pavement.

Calico was expecting something else, but when Aaron stood he merely chuckled.
"We shall dance again pretty boy, but I have previous arrangements I have to attend to in regards to my date tonight."
With a wink and stupid salute, Aaron was gone.

A date with who?

Kade.

Calico panicked once again, realizing that Aaron admitted to stalking the small boy, and both of them knew his last known whereabouts.

He had to check. Even if it meant watching Kade from the shadows and not approaching him, Calico needed to be sure Aaron didn't lay a finger on him tonight.

Calico walked back the way he came, fumbling into the restaurant into one of the booths in the corners, somewhere he figured he could just look around and find Kade.

He anxiously glanced at his phone to check the time when a voice made the blood in Calico's veins freeze.

Kade was talking to him.

Kade was actually speaking to Calico.

Even if it was just for a drink order, Calico's tongue stiffened and he couldn't speak himself.
All he could think of saying was, "Well you haven't gotten any taller."

He hardly glanced upwards when he knew Kade realized who he was talking too.

In mere seconds Kade's face shifted from fright, to anger, to guilt, to confusion, and worst of all, he wouldn't look Calico in the eye anymore.

But Kade's gaze hardened to concern and something else that could kill if looks could kill.
He didn't say a word aside from- "what the-" and trailed off into a mutter, but pulled Calico up by the arm, dragging him to the back of the restaurant.

The silence was deafening to Calico. He didn't know what Kade was thinking with how dark his eyes went.

"I'm fine really it's no big deal- I can just go now I didn't mean to intrude on you or anything and i-" Calico rambled as Kade opened a bag that looked like his, pulling out a miniature first aid kit.

"Just shut up." Kade snapped, loosely tugging on Calico's wrist to the countertop where he hoisted himself atop so he could reach Calico's face easier.

Calico's mouth snapped shut as he tapped his fingers against the table, having them rest on either side of Kade on the table, giving him something to hold onto whenever the alcohol swabs stung too much.

He was mesmerized once again as Kade focused on cleaning up his busted lip, his delicate fingers hardly touching his skin, but when they did, Calico couldn't stop the smallest hint of a blush from crawling over his skin.

"Stop blushing when all I'm doing is putting a couple stitches in your face." Kade muttered, which did not help Calico's current predicament.

"Are you gonna tell me exactly why you dragged me into helping you?" Kade asked, which seemed to finally make Calico speak once again after getting his emotions under control.

"I didn't even know you worked here, plus I never asked for your help, you just started doing it." Calico pointed out, then winced when Kade rolled his eyes.

"Like I'm going to let you bleed to death or scar, for the record, I'm still mad at you." Kade felt the need to point that out, as if he needed a reason to make that clear.

"And I'm still trying to find some way to fix what I said." Calico said before shaking his head.

Kade's mouth parted with a turn of his gaze, staring at the wall behind Calico. He wanted to forget it.
"I wish I hadn't followed you." Kade whispered.

"I wish I hadn't tried to say everything I could think of to get you to leave me on your own will. I wish I hadn't let myself get carried away but I thought it would be easier for you if I made you hate me so I said unforgivable things." Calico admitted, shifting his feet to stand in Kade's line of sight. "I am so so sorry Kade. I wasn't thinking. I don't expect you to forgive me and I don't deserve it-"

"Calico I wanted to kill myself." Kade said bluntly, needing Calico to understand exactly just how much he hurt him. If he couldn't understand, then he couldn't be forgiven.
"You were the one person who had been there for me and the person who showed me how to start cherishing myself.
I had even let you touch me after I had come to the conclusion I would only let people I actually want to touch me. And you had thrown it back in my face calling me a slut the day after I got attacked, accusing me of wanting to sleep with my attacker."
"It's going to take me a while to forgive that."

"I know. Deep down I always knew. The minute I saw your face break I regretted all of it. I watched you for a while to make sure you would be okay. And every day it only got worse. I'm so sorry. I almost stopped you that night under the bridge when I saw you curled up because I feared the worst before you got up and left. I knew how bad you were getting because of how careless you were acting. You hardly even noticed I was there when I was around." Calico had tears in his already swollen eyes, making him look pitiful.

"I'm not the one being careless if you're the one walking around with a bloody mouth." Kade muttered, pushing himself off of the counter.

"I deserved to get that to be honest." Calico shrugged, taking a step back so Kade could cross in front of him.

"Hold up you got what now?" Kade cut in, for some reason his mind darted to the fact that he knew Calico had been with Derek earlier, and Derek was now not with him. Had Derek been caught in the crossfire?
One could only hope.

"Jumped, I'm fine though. I can take care of myself." Calico insisted before Kade was already shaking his head.

"And look where that landed you. C'mon we have to leave before we get locked in the building." Kade said, pushing Calico back a little splashes he could get off the counter, gather his stuff, and tow Calico out of the restaurant.

The two walked awkwardly under the streetlamps for a while before Kade continued speaking. "They haven't replaced your bodyguard yet?"

"Nope, it seems dad is more concerned right now about the trouble your siblings are causing than about anything else. Besides, I have Derek now-"

"Don't talk about him." Kade cut him off before Calico could continue. He didn't want to hear about Calico's make out sessions or wedding plans.

For some reason, Calico grinned when he thought Kade wasn't looking.

But Kade didn't ask about it.

"Can I say one thing?" Calico suddenly asked, making Kade shrug.
"I feel guilty about him. He is way better of a person than I ever will be. I think I finally understand what you meant when you said felt like you didn't have anything to offer."

Kade stopped walking, making Calico almost trip over him.

"You know what you have to offer dumbass. And it has nothing to do with your looks. Your understanding, compassion, patience, and genuine concern for a person is so much more than whatever that Derek has got. And your ability to admit when you've done something wrong." Kade clamped his mouth shut as he hadn't meant to actually say that aloud. At least, not to Calico's face.

"Is that you saying that you're eventually going to forgive me?" Calico asked, prodding for an answer.

"Eventually. Yes." Kade crossed his arms, "after all I do still have feelings for you even after all of this. I don't think they'll ever go away, though I'm willing to just be your friend because you are going to get married at some point and I assume you want to still make your dad happy. I will admit though I have felt literally absolutely nothing since then. These past two months I've been walking around like a zombie or something because I kept running into you two at the park and I hated even seeing that so if you two make out please don't do it anywhere near me."

"I didn't know you talked so much." Calico let out a small laugh when Kade looked at him weird.

"Of course I talk dumbass, I haven't had anyone to talk too hardly since your fucking birthday disaster." Kade pointed out yet another valid point.
And the truth to that statement brought back the pang of loneliness he had hardly been able to escape recently.

"I like it. When you ramble." Calico grinned, nudging Kade in the shoulder.

"And I'm still mad." Kade reiterated once again.

"What will it take for you to be unmad?" Calico asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

He was making it very difficult for Kade to stay mad at.

"A divorce." Kade covered his mouth immediately after the words came out, and his eyes went large when Calico seemed to consider it.
"Don't you dare even think about it, you have to help your family out, I'm- it's not worth it."

"Don't think I didn't catch you almost saying you're not worth breaking apart the plans with Derek. Because you are. And if that's what you really want, I'll do it." Calico said, without a trace of doubt in his voice.

"Don't dump that on me right now. Come back in a day and I'll let you know." Kade said, not ready to make any hastily made up decisions yet."

And Calico nodded. "I'll wait years if I have too."

At that, Calico spun on his heel before Kade could change his mind and tell him right then he didn't want Calico like that anymore, forgetting the original reason he stopped by to see Kade in the first place.

Forgetting that someone else was watching Kade that night.

Calico almost wasn't able to sleep that night.
It was almost like it was too good to be true.

He had found Kade, and not only that, Kade had said he would forgive him eventually.

If Calico was being honest, he wasn't even sure when his crush on Kade started, just that when it did, he fell hard.

Though the closest thing he could remember realizing he liked Kade, was when he was being choked that day when Calico found out about his family's mingling in the gang world.

It had hit his chest like a bulldozer when he realized Kade was about to die, and he did whatever it took to save him there, even to the point of knocking someone unconscious with a crowbar.

Kade didn't know it, but Calico had been the one to carry Kade out of that place and to a nearby hospital.
He had known Kade was light before, but when he had held him in his arms the first time, Calico was astounded by how easy it had been to carry him.

It was waiting for Kade to wake up that day that made Calico realize, he wanted Kade to be apart of his life one way or another.
So he had pleaded with his father to assign Kade to do something closer to their home, though didn't expect him to full on make Kade his bodyguard.

Calico was still trying to decide if that had been the worst idea- or best idea- that his father ever had.

On one hand, Calico had gotten to see Kade every day, and it had meant that their little dance happened. But on the other hand- it had pushed Kade away after awhile, making him hate Calico inevitably. And on the other hand, after all of that, Kade finally admitted to liking Calico back after two months of ignoring him.

So in the end- depending on what Kade wanted to do from there- Calico was glad that he had been able to find Kade.

Come back tomorrow.

So Calico did.

When he showed up at the restaurant where he had found out Kade worked, Kade wasn't there when he glanced around, checking all the faces of the employees for the small emo boy.

"Hey, have you seen Kade?" Calico asked one of the girls walking by balancing a tray on her hand filled with glasses of beverages.

The girl paused, tilting her head, stopping for a brief moment to think.

"No not since last night when he was with you, now that you mention it, he's supposed to be here already." The girl said, her face scrunched before she held up a finger.
"Wait a minute I'll go see if he called in."

The girl disappeared, and Calico sat down on a nearby bench used for guests waiting to be sat, tapping his fingers against his thigh with impatience.

Had something happened?

It had only been since last night since Calico had seen him, though now that he thought about it, Calico had left Kade alone in the dark.

Had he gotten jumped?

After all, it wasn't too far of a stretch considering Calico had been earlier that night.
Plus, Kade was a lot smaller and easier to compromise if he was surprised by a burglar or someone else, considering his weight.

The girl suddenly appeared again, tray gone and she waved for Calico to follow her to the back.

It must've been some sort of office that he was led too because there was a desk plus computer and chair in it, not much else.

"You said you were looking for Kade?" The man behind the desk said, glancing Calico up and down.

Calico nodded, wiping his hands on his pants before saying- "he told me to meet him here tomorrow, as of last night, and I haven't seen him since."

"It is odd given the fact that Kade is never late, and has never called off." The manager muttered. "He could be sick though and just sleeping, would you mind checking his apartment for me?"

"If I knew where he lived-" Calico offered, not expecting the next series of words.

"What is your relation to him?" The manager asked suddenly, clicking away on his computer.

"Uh- old friend from school-" Calico said, not quite sure if he should add the next part, even though he did anyway. "We almost dated."

The server girl had been silent this whole time, but her eyebrows shot up as if it was news to her that Kade swung that way.

"Fine," the manager mumbled, taking a sticky note and scribbling something down on it before handing it over to Calico. "Here is his address, call us if you find out what happened."

Calico nodded, thanking them before hastily walking back outside.

It took him a minute to put the address into Google maps, only to find out that Kade's apartment was only a couple minutes of a walk away.

Make that one minute given Calico ran.

He wasn't paying that close attention until he found the correct door, knocking gently on it to see if he was answered.

The person who opened the door was not who Calico expected to see.

He was pretty sure Kade had called his younger brother Lance when they were talking before, though briefly about it, and he guessed that was who opened the door now.

Lance waved Calico inside the apartment, not saying a word before immediately returning to the table where a laptop was set up.

"I assume you're here for the same reason?" Jamaica asked, stopping in her pacing around the kitchen to address Calico.

"Looking for Kade?" Calico asked, desperately wanting to be wrong about it.

But his stomach sank when both twins nodded, Lance typing away as if his life depended on it.

"It would make sense for him to try to uproot his life and start over, but he wouldn't do it without telling us." Jamaica rambled, obviously trying to figure out the possibilities of what happened.
"So scratch that, but one of my other theories would be that Mr. Choi finally found him and is trying to get him back on his side or something."

Calico hated how much sense that made, especially considering that one day in the park where Kade had been on the run from some of his father's thugs.
And he hated his dad for it. Among numerous other things Mr. Choi had done in the past that Calico couldn't forgive him for.

"Calm down Jamaica, look I was able to track his phone." Lance suddenly jumped up with a cheer.

Calico and Jamaica rushed over to the computer to see what it said.

"He went to a bar?" Calico blurted out reading the location's name with shock.

"He works there dumbass surely he told you." Jamaica rolled her eyes before realizing Calico had never actually been told given his expression.

"We haven't talked in over two months aside from last night." Calico admitted, making the twins exchange horrified glances.

"Then why . . ." Lance trailed off and Jamaica finished for him. "He told us he was happy with himself now- we always thought . . ."

"We thought that was because he had finally had a friend."

"Who we thought was you-" Lance continued, directing his words at Calico.

"But since it's not- do you think . . .?" Jamaica turned to Lance with a pained expression on her face.

"He's been alone this entire time?" Lance confirmed with an equally guilty expression.

"With thoughts like his?" Jamaica suddenly squeaked.

The twins fell silent, their eyes wide before they scrambled to the door.

"With thoughts like his?" Calico was throughly confused before it dawned on him as he stood there watching the twins run to the bar, which was hardly a ten minute walk away.
Kade's scars.
Not all of them the same.
Some definitely different than others.

Calico bolted after the siblings a sensation of dread in his stomach.
Did Kade only agree to forgive Calico because he knew he wasn't going to be around much longer?

Is that why Kade made Calico wait another day? So he could go through with whatever he had planned?

Calico pulled up short at the bar just as the siblings ducked their way inside.

The employees must've known the twins because they didn't stop the two fourteen year olds from entering the building, nor did they glance at Calico either.

The twins split up as Calico got slightly distracted by the area, the circular bar in the center of the room, the flashing lights, the loud music.
It was almost as if this place was made to make his heart rate skyrocket.

He subconsciously followed Lance into the boy's bathroom, only to accidently run into the boy who stopped dead in his tracks.

It took Calico a minute to realize what he was staring at.

And it was Kade's phone on the bathroom floor near the sinks.

And the cracked mirror.

And a cup with some sort of residue in the bottom next to the phone.

Jamaica came running behind them, not being as slow to the pickup as the boys were, picking up the cup and smelling it.

She wrinkled her nose, a slightly dazed expression on her face. "That is definitely a sedative mixed in some sort of alcohol."

"A sedative?" Calico asked, moving out from behind Lance to pick up the cup himself.
So it hadn't been an overdose.

There was a chance Kade was still alive.

But where was he?

And the fact there was a sedative meant that Kade was forcefully taken somewhere.

And Calico could only think of two places that would forcefully take Kade somewhere.

One, his father found Kade.

Or two, the more awful of the two options-

"Oh dear what have we here?"

Calico scowled, turning on his heel to come eye to eye with Aaron.

Jamaica and Lance exchanged glances before finding their way out of the bathroom. Calico wasn't sure why they left, but it was probably for the better.

"Did you have something to do with this?" Calico spat, using his two inch hight difference to scowl down at Aaron.

But Aaron only grinned, pulling out a washcloth with fresh red stains on it.
"Turns out that Kade bleeds pretty easily. But he also heals really quickly."

"What did you do to him?" Calico demanded through gritting teeth, taking his entire will to keep his hands from strangling Aaron.
He needed to get more information from Aaron about Kade's whereabouts.

"It's not what did I do to him, it's what am I doing to him. The poor thing passed out after only three hours-"

Calico slammed his palms into Aaron's chest, shoving the boy into the wall with such force that his head cracked the wall.

Aaron laughed as he pulled himself up off the wall, rolling his head, cracking his neck in multiple places.
"Would you rather me describe his screams? Or maybe talk about how easily his wrists bleed from metal handcuffs? Who knew the person people feared as Wendigo was so fragile."

Kade wasn't fragile. He was one of the strongest people Calico knew.
It took a lot for a person to do the things Kade did just to survive, especially on his own from such a young age.

"Where is he?" Calico repeated, breathing heavily to try to keep his emotions in check.

"Currently bleeding out on my bed if you must know." Aaron scoffed, testing Calico's limits by pushing him slightly in the chest with his index finger.

It took a lot for a person to become unhinged. And in Calico's case, it took someone he cared about being in life threatening danger.

And Calico unhinged, Aaron was no match for.

Sure he tried his best, but the way Calico had Zay teach him how to fight the past couple months, where she also snuck in telling him some of Aaron's weaknesses- Aaron was not prepared for.

His chest. Zay told him. He had a heart attack once as a kid and still suffers pains from it occasionally. Kicking there always knocks the wind out of him.

It was almost as if Calico was mirroring Zay as his foot came up, jumping into the air, kicking one foot into his chest, with a twist of his hips, hit Aaron's temple with his knee with a satisfactory thud.

And Aaron was out like a light.

Jamaica suddenly poked her head back into the room as Calico started to leave, grabbing his arm.

"C'mon, we found the house!" She said hurriedly, and Calico didn't need to be told a second time.

Jamaica pulled Calico all the way back to Kade's apartment where Lance was already on Kade's motorcycle.

"Get on!" He shouted, revving the engine as the three managed to squeeze onto the bike, rocketing down the street.

Calico didn't think much about it, but when they stopped he suddenly remembered he let a fourteen year old drive the three of them on a motorcycle.

"I've already called an ambulance to this address, go find him I'll wait for them." Lance pointed the other two towards the door of what was apparently Aaron's house.

Calico wasn't sure what he was expecting, but he wasn't expecting it to look this clean.

Who knew a psycho like Aaron had a clean freak side.

All the bushes were perfectly trimmed, the lawn taken care of in front of the one story house.

As soon as Jamaica had the front door open, the two burst inside, each picking a wing of the house to search.

Calico scoured the impeccably clean downstairs, checking all the doors before he heard Jamaica shouting from farther down the hall.

The door she was in front of was locked, and her hands were shaking so back she couldn't pick the lock.

"Hey it'll be alright." Calico soothed, taking her hands in his for a moment to comfort her before lifting up his foot and kicking the door in.

Calico wished he hadn't seen what was inside the room.

Granted, he was also grateful that it wasn't as bad as he had been picturing as Kade still had all of his limbs attached.

As Aaron had said, Kade was unconscious on his bed.
One of his hands still cuffed to the headboard, his wrist rubbed raw where the cuff had been tearing into his skin, and was already starting to scab over.
His neck and collarbone however was a completely different story. It looked like he had a bad case of the chicken pox and it was so bad the spots burst, the hickeys a dark red and purple coloring.

But that was the only blood Calico could see upon first inspection.

Kade was wearing his tee shirt from the night prior, though it was torn half off, only hanging on by a sleeve.

While the blanket covered most of his lower body, his upper body was out for everyone to see. His collarbone had thumb shaped bruises on it, a.d his nipples looked so swollen they looked like they would combust, and all his lower body over the blanket that Calico could see, were handprint shaped bruises on Kade's abs and sides.

As gently as Calico could, he and Jamaica got him free of the handcuff and Calico tucked the blanket tightly around Kade's entire self, picking him up when it was secure.

If it was even possible, Kade felt lighter than the last time Calico had picked him up, and he swore from that day on, he would make sure Kade was eating every day.

He wouldn't let him out of his sight like that again if it was the last thing he did.

It wasn't until Kade was safely in a hospital, hooked up to a breathing tube, with something pumped into his arm, did Calico calm down a little.

As so he waited, for a long agonizing two days for Kade to open his eyes again.

The boy shot upright out of nowhere, his eyes wide and panicky, his heart rate spiking on the monitor, making a couple of the others beep loudly.

"Hey hey Kade- its okay now." Calico assured, not sure if he would take kindly to being touched at the moment, so he kept his hands off of Kade.

Kade pulled his knees up to his chest resting his head on top of them, and slowly the monitors calmed down back to normal.

After a while, Kade lifted his head before opening his mouth to speak finally. "Aaron?"
Kade's voice was ragged, and it looked like it was painful for him to speak as he winced and ended up coughing a little from the dryness in his throat.

Calico shook his head. "I took care of him. He's awaiting his trial in jail now for assault among other crimes. You don't need to worry about him anymore." Calico quickly got to his feet, fetching him a glass of water- which Kade accepted, taking a drink of it.

A relief so great flooded over Kade's features, that a small tear escaped his eye.

"Hey hey, don't cry, I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere." Calico assured and Kade reached out his hand.
There was no hesitation for Calico as he stood up and took it, sitting on the edge of Kade's bed.

Kade laid back down, his eyes closed already before he whispered.

"Thank you sunshine."

-Kade

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.7K 1.3K 45
اكشن/رومانسي/شاب ثلاثيني يجبر عشرينية مجنون بها على الزواج به. يا ترى هل ستبادله المشاعر ام سيكون حب من طرف واحد؟
19.9K 506 19
Naruto Uzumaki is the eldest of four siblings, born into the Uzumaki family, renowned for their strong chakra and their special connection to the Nin...
148K 6.7K 24
"မောင် မဆိုးစမ်းနဲ့ကွယ်" "ကျုပ်ကိုမချုပ်ခြယ်နဲ့"
21K 1.6K 33
people read the book trust me on this one