Cliché: Odd Squad

By njmaelstrom

Northbridge High is a school for the rich. They offer NO scholarships to 'outsiders'. Within the school, stud... More

Summary & Characters Introduction
EPISODE 1
EPISODE 3

EPISODE 2

17 1 0
By njmaelstrom

 Cliché: Odd Squad [EPISODE 2]

Date: 18/01/2012 (Wednesday)

Eve, Hannah, Olivia & Tessa (Tweeties)

"Okay everyone, make sure you hand in your essay on my desk before you leave." Madam Von instructed Class 4-5 as they were about to leave the class to prepare for their afternoon activities. "Oh and Eve? A word with you please?" Eve packed up her stuff in her backpack and went to the teacher's table.

"Yes, ma'am?" She was a little anxious as she thought she did something wrong. "You need to decide by the end of this week on which sports or athletics club that you want to join. It's compulsory. But don't worry, you don't have to be as active as anyone else because the school knows that you are to focus on your violin career, it's just to encourage the students to have a healthy body and mind." Eve nodded. "You may leave with your friends."

"What did the witch want?" Tessa asked while they were walking down the stairs.

"I have to make a decision by the end of the week on which sports club or athletics I want to join."

"So what's the problem?" Tessa was prepared to shut Eve down if she wanted to try out for the cheerleading team. Tessa was sure that Eve would take all the spotlight from her.

"I don't know which sports club I should join. As you can clearly see, I'm not a 'sports' type of person." Eve gestured her hands to herself to make her point.

"There are lots to choose from. Netball, softball, basketball, football, hockey.. the list goes on. So just... choose one." Olivia suggested.

"Which sports club doesn't require me to run as much or sweat?"

"You could always try martial arts?" Hannah proposed.

"I can't injure my hand."

"Futsal?"

"Didn't you hear me? I despise running. Ughh" Eve groaned. "I don't know. Maybe I could join the archery club or something, that way I don't need to run or jump or whatever."

Hannah, Tessa and Olivia gave each other sceptical looks. Eve saw what they did and halted. "What? What's with the look? What's wrong with archery?" Eve asked.

"Athena is the captain of the Archery team."

Luna, Karly & Elle

Luna, Karly and Elle were in the school library since they didn't have any extracurricular activities for the day and decided to catch up with their studies and finish their assignments together. Karly was already looking lifeless like a zombie with eyebags under her eyes. She barely got any sleep last night as she was at the hospital all night to take care of her grandmother, who have been hospitalised for almost a year now. Even though her family could afford to have someone to care for her grandmother, she insisted on doing it herself as she was very close and attached to her beloved nanna. It was obvious that she was struggling trying to finish writing her English essay, because it was impossible to comprehend what was written.

Elle was energetically and enthusiastically writing her thoughts on the World War 2 strategies for her History class assignment. Elle can be a bullet when writing, especially on things she have strong opinions about, but not so much in the real life. She's timid and easily intimidated by everyone else. The only way for her to escape was through writing. While Elle was powering through her homework, her good friend Luna was powering through a nap with her Biology textbook as a pillow. "Wake up." Elle threw a crumpled paper at Luna. "I'm upppp.." Luna yawned but her eyes were still closed. "You guys are helpless." Elle shook her head in disappointment.

"So when are you gonna do it?" Karly asked Luna.

"We did text a few days ago but I've been so busy going back and forth to the hospital that I don't have any energy to actually start doing it. He said to meet him after school on Friday, so probably then." Luna sat up straight and stretched her arms up. Luna had told the whole story to her best friends after what happened in the canteen with Zach. Much to her surprise, her best friends were okay with it. At first they were against it, but eventually they understood what Luna wanted and decided to support her on her lunatic quest. They are however, still suspicious of Zach, given his status as a Delinquent but they promised they would protect Luna if he tries to do anything fishy.

"Okay, but just be careful and tell us every little details. Don't miss anything out, understood?" Elle who was busy writing, didn't hear any answer from her friend. She lifted up her head and saw Luna was already off in the dreamland again with her head back on the Biology textbook. Only this time, she was joined by Karly whose head was resting on the chair with her mouth open, but thankfully, she didn't snore.

The Prefects

All the Year 10 prefects gathered in the principal's office after being summoned. There were 20 of them packed like a sardine in the medium-sized office, but Principal Tiberius was still nowhere to be seen.

"I wonder what is it about, for him to call all of us to his office. Do you think it has something to do with what happened between you and... you know, her?" Thomas whispered to Luke. Luke shook his head, not wanting to think about it as it gives him headache. Right at that moment, the principal entered. He looked around to see if everyone's there and sat on his swivel chair. "Alright, I will just give it to you straight. I need you all to be the student mentor for your fellow peers who are struggling academically. All of you are more than qualified given your academic results. Therefore, I trust you all with this task."

"But it's only the start of the year, how would we know who's already struggling with their studies?" Principal Tiberius gave Thomas a look that said 'seriously, child?'. Olivia rolled her eyes and stepped forward closer to the principal's desk. "Excuse me sir, when you said 'peers who are struggling academically' you don't mean.. them do you?" Olivia was 100% sure that there were no use in helping 'those' students as she considered them to be a lost cause. "Oh no, the school knows better than anyone that those students are nearly impossible to be saved, academically. Only God's miracle would be able to save their grades. No, what I meant was your other fellow peers that we have identified who are not doing well, but have the potential to improve with more guidance, and are willing to be helped." The principal explained with his usual poker face.

"You've already been assigned to your mentee. Here's the list, find your pairings, you'll start next month in February, good luck and have fun." Principal Tiberius said in one breath almost as if he was rapping. He gave them a crooked smile.

The prefects lined up in front of the principal's desk for the list and gathered outside. Some of them were pleased to be paired with someone that they know, some of them were paired with their crush. Some of them, however, were disappointed since they wanted to mentor someone else. But none of them were as dissatisfied as Luke. He held the paper tightly almost crumpling it showing his discontent, as the name that he was paired with was, Athena.

Ares & Eve

Ares decided to skip the boxing club again and let Zach deal with it as the co-captain of the team. Not that anyone care that he's missing since every single one of them in the boxing club are one of the Delinquents. He let himself wander around the school with no specific direction that he wanted to go, but his feet dragged him to the music block without thinking much.

He could hear sounds of musical instruments being played, the piano, violins, cello, flute, trumpet. He looked around through each of the small window at the door until he got to the final room at the music block. He saw her. The new girl. She was alone in the room, eyes laser focused on her music sheet, playing Chopin's Nocturne in C# Minor. He was mesmerised by her and the music. Something inside of him just ticked, and he opened the door, much to the shock and delight of Eve.

"I'm sorry to barge in." Ares smiled, the smile looked so genuine others would never believe that a guy like him could even smile. "It's okay, you can come in if you'd like." Eve said sheepishly. Ares entered the room and sat down at the piano seat. "I heard you were playing Chopin. Nocturn in C Sharp Minor was it?" Eve was perplexed. She was surprised over the fact that someone like him actually knows about classical music.

"Wait, you know the piece?"

"Hard as it to believe, I was a cello player before."

Cello? I did not expect that, Eve thought. But then again, she doesn't know anything about him and it got her even more curious. "Why past tense? Do you not play the cello anymore?" Ares was silent, but he was staring right at her, not blinking even once. Eve's hands started to sweat, thinking that she offended him and if she had asked something she should not have.

Ares sighed and stood up. "Story for another time." He said and walked towards Eve and sat at the seat next to her. He let out his hand. "We've never properly introduced ourselves before. I'm Ares." His smirk made Eve blushed. She took his hand and shook it lightly "Eve." Her heart started beating faster by the minute she could faint any moment then. "Umm, I know this is random, but I kind of need some advice." She said, which made Ares laughed.

"I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask for advice, but sure go ahead." He looked right into her eyes, but Eve looked away, not feeling confident enough to look back at him in the eyes. "Umm, I have to join a sports club at school since it's compulsory. But I don't have a clue on which club I should join." Eve shrugged. Ares laughed again. "I would be honoured if you'd join the Boxing Team but it's full of sweaty aggressive guys, and I'm guessing it's not for you." He teased and Eve jokingly made an annoyed face.

"How about bowling? It's indoor, and doesn't require too much stamina." He said finally, after giving a serious thought about it. "Hmm, bowling. I've played it several times before but I'm terrible at it. But I guess I could give it a try. Thanks!" Eve said excitedly. Ares has never felt this comfortable for a while. They were smiling at each other like a couple of typical teenagers that they are. What they didn't realise was someone was watching them through the window of the door the whole time.

Date: 20/01/2012 (Friday)

The Delinquents

It was supposed to be the Accounting period for Class 4-7, however their teacher had an emergency and had to leave within a short notice, and there was no substitute teacher to fill in the lesson. Which meant Class 4-7 had free period till lunch, then they're off for extracurricular activities or for the Delinquents, leisure time. Not that they ever care about their studies anyway, most of them barely listen in class, but it is still something to be thankful anyway since they are actually in the class rather than somewhere else.

Although they are usually disruptive and had gotten into so many mischiefs, the school decided that they would tolerate it, as long as they're present in class. However, only teachers who are resilient and tough were assigned to teach 4-7 due to the fact that so many had quit prior to this year because they could not cope or bear to be with the students of the class for even a second more, so the school had learned their lesson.

The students of 4-7 were all doing their own thing, separated into different circles within the class. The boys were chilling and pranking each other while the girls were gossiping. Athena was sitting at the back with her three henchmen, Atlas, Hades and Jake. The four of them were playing the 'Bullshit' card game.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Jake suddenly raised his voice.

"I'm just saying, you've been terrorizing her for the whole week. Haven't you had enough? 2 Kings." Hades placed the cards on the table.

"BULLSHIT!" Atlas exclaimed. "Damn it! Why do you always tell the truth. The game doesn't work that way, idiot!" He took the cards and placed it in his hand. "2 Aces."

"Hold on, what are you implying?" Jake asked Hades.

"He's implying that you might have a little crush on this girl. 1 One." Athena finally spoke and looked at Jake with a sly smile.

"No I don't! 3 twos!" Jake sighed angrily. "My taste in girls is way UP here." He gestured with his hands.

Hades scoffed. "Suit yourself, she can't even go anywhere without you pestering her like a ghost. 2 threes."

"BULLSHIT!" Atlas checked the cards. "God damn it, you prick. Stop being so honest!"

"What are you guys up to?" A deep voice suddenly came out of nowhere which startled Jake. Zach was hovering next to him with a large grin on his face.

"What are you doing here? Don't you guys have class right now?" Jake looked up at Zach.

"Yea, but I told the old bat that I was going to the toilet. Saw you guys having some free time, so I thought might as well just join in the fun." Zach pulled an empty chair and sat next to Jake.

"What about Ares?" Hades asked.

"He's taking a nap. Didn't want to wake the mighty devil." Zach shrugged.

Hades took a quick glance at Athena. Obviously Jake had blabbed about what Hannah said at the canteen during their dinner at Granny's stall. The three of them were on edge, unsure of how Athena would react. However she didn't say anything or react much, and instead told them to let it be, which prompted the three to question whether the relationship between Ares and Athena has ended, but Hades and Atlas were shoved with food in their mouth, and Jake was shoved with a tissue up his nose. Back in the present, they continued with the game, now with Zach joining them.

"Oh by the way, Athena. Are we still on later?" Zach looked over to Athena, in which she replied with a nod. The school bell had rung, and it was time for lunch. "Cool." Zach stood up. "Aren't you guys going to eat?"

The three dumbos automatically turned to Athena.

"Let's go." She stood up and walked to the door. The moment she opened it, Ares was standing outside the door. He smiled at her, and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back with her eyes closed, smelling his perfume scent. They've been acting like nothing has changed or nothing had happened. Even though it was obvious that the vibes were different now than before. It was easier to pretend than confront what was really going on with them. They held hands and walked towards the stairs with the rest of the Delinquents following them.

Students of Northbridge High

"Hannah. Hannah stop it!" Olivia was annoyed with Hannah who was always hiding behind her lately whenever she's out of her classroom. "He's not here. Plus it's been like what, two weeks since you spilled the shaved ice onto him? Surely he's over it by now."

"No you don't get it. I can't even go to the toilet safely without him hunting me down and scaring the life out of me." Hannah was still trying to not be visible and tried to eat with her head down while also on the lookout.

"Want me to deal with it to the disciplinary teacher?" Olivia offered.

Tessa rolled her eyes. "Why are you so scared of them? They're just a bunch of punks who think they're tough."

Hannah looked at Tessa with an expression that said kill me now. "Think? Think?!" Hannah suddenly raised her voice. "We both know what they're capable of, have you lost your memories? Hellooo? Two words. November. Edward."

"Who's Edward?" Diana interrupted, putting her lunch tray down and sat next to Tessa.

"N-no one. I mean, uhh... he's a student here. But he's not here currently." Hannah stuttered.

The Delinquents entered the canteen and went straight to their usual spot at the end. Luna looked over to Zach and as soon as she pulled out her phone, the whatzzap notification rang notifying her that he sent her a message. She looked over again to Zach and he gestured to his phone telling her to check it.

Zach: So how did you convince your mother that you wanted to hang out after school?

Luna: I told her I'm spending the evening at Elle's house.

Zach: But what would she say if she saw me sending you home?

Luna: No you're not. Elle told me that she will send her driver to pick me up and send me home. Anyway, what are we doing later?

Zach: You'll see ;)

Luna sighed at her phone. "What did he say?" Elle asked with her mouth full.

"Nothing much. Hey are you sure you're driver's gonna be okay with sending me home? I don't want to trouble anyone." Luna asked.

"Relax, I already asked him, and he said okay." Elle said as she chewed and swallowed her omurice. Karly has been awfully quiet today, looking like a zombie still, which prompted Luna to interrogate her.

"Seriously, Karly. You look like you haven't slept at all." Karly turned her head slowly to Luna, her eyebags were dark.

"That's because I didn't...".

Luna put her hand on Karly's head and gave it a little massage. "We told you your grandmother's well taken care of. The hospital is the best in Kuching, you don't need to spend every day of your life at the hospital. Your mother clearly told you not to, you should listen to her."

Karly gave Luna a side-eye. "I don't see you listening to your mother..."

Luna let out a sheepish laugh. "Anyway, I stopped by at your grandmother's room yesterday when I went for my check-up but you weren't there. Where were you?"

I am sooo busted. Karly screamed in her head. "Umm, I... I was... g-going for a walk." Karly stammered. She hoped that they would buy it. She didn't know why she wanted to keep 'it' a secret from her best friends, but for now, she just wanted to keep it to herself.

Luke was having a rather pleasant lunch peacefully until Thomas ruined it with his question. "So what are you going to do next week? How are you going to deal with her?" He nodded towards Athena. And just like that, Luke lost his appetite, but Thomas continued on rambling. "I mean, she signed up for it, why? Is it a prank or does she really suddenly want to improve her grades? Does she even know that you are going to be her mentor?"

Luke thought about what Thomas just said. Was it true? Did she just signed up for the student mentoring program just to screw it up for fun? Whatever her intention is, his guts tell him that it's not good, so he should prepare himself for the worst. He turned his head to see Athena. She was leaning on Ares, who has his arm around her shoulders. They were talking with their friends. Who knows what they're up to next. Probably something illegal, Luke thought. He shook his head and continued eating his meal.

Luna, Zach & The FHA

When the last bell rang, Luna hurriedly rush over to the west wing of the carpark to meet Zach. Half of her was excited for the official start of her mission, but half of her was worried that something might go terribly wrong. Nevertheless, she was determined to finish her list, her life would be doomed either way, so she might as well live it to the fullest. She tried her best to run, but halfway through, her chest started to hurt. She stopped and crouched on the floor, catching her breath. "Stupid heart." she muttered as she rubbed her chest. She waited for a few more minutes until she could breathe properly. She closed her eyes and took several deep breaths in and out.

"There you are." Luna opened her eyes and saw Zach offering his hand. She took it and he helped her up. "Are you okay? Cause if you aren't we can do it another time-"

"No." She cut him off. "I'm fine now. I shouldn't have run. But I really am fine now. Let's just go." She picked up her backpack and walked away but Zach snatched her backpack from her and put in on his shoulder. "Hey! What are you doing?" Luna called out.

"Relax, I'm not stealing your stuff. I'm just trying to be a gentleman." Zach replied without looking at her. Luna didn't say anything back. Instead, she examined him from the side as they walked together. His uniform were dishevelled and untucked, his hair was messy. She imagined Zach as a true gentleman, like the one in Kingsman. He'd be so charming and handsome, she thought.

While she was busy imagining stuff in her head, she didn't realised that they were already at the west wing where the Delinquents usually hang out at before they leave or wait for their rides. "Hello? Earth to Luna?" Luna had finally awoken from her daydream when Zach snapped his fingers at her face. She looked over to see all the Delinquents looking at her. She froze. Zach tittered looking at her grave expression and leaned over to whisper. "Don't worry. I'm here. They won't dare to do anything to you." Although it does put her at ease that he's with her, but he's one of them. So he shouldn't be trusted 100%.

*HONK* "Let's go!" Jake shouted from the car and rolled the window back up. "Come on, that's our ride." Zach led the way to the car and opened the car door. "Ladies first." Luna hesitate for a moment but she went in the car. Jake was singing along to the song on the radio at the front passenger seat, with an annoyed Hades next to him driving. Atlas was laying down in the back seat sleeping. Luna sat in the middle in between Zach and Athena, holding on to her backpack for dear life as if it's her oxygen and the only thing that will keep her safe. She turned over to Zach. "Where are we going?" She whispered. "You'll see. We're almost there."

How did her life turned out like this, Luna wondered. Few weeks ago, she avoided the Delinquents like they were a disease. Yet, right at that second, she's sitting in a car surrounded by the Delinquents themselves. Next to Athena, even. Athena was quiet the whole journey. Luna didn't dare to look over to her right or say a word. The car pulled up to a large black gate, once the security gave them clearance, Hades drove in. They parked in front of a huge white mansion. Luna took a quick look around. Although it looks beautiful, but there was something... haunting about the house. The kind of mansion you would find in horror films.

"Whose house is this?" Luna asked Zach.

"Mine." Athena answered. "But unfortunately, I don't like strangers in my house. So, let's just go straight to the back." Athena walked off to her backyard. Luna was confused on whether Athena's pissed off at her for being there with them or she was just overthinking it, because she can't seem to read Athena. She didn't even know that she would be here in the first place. Zach assured her that he made the plans, she was just going along with it. Zach can see that Luna was uncomfortable.

"Don't take it to heart. She likes her privacy. We've been friends since Year 7 but we weren't allowed in her house 'til Year 9 which was last year. I still can't go to the second or third floor, not even Ares. We've only been given clearance to the first floor."

"Hey the three of us are gonna find something to eat inside, you two go ahead. Don't keep Her Majesty waiting." Jake said before running off to the front door with Atlas and Hades.

"Come on, you ready?" Zach led the way to the backyard.

Luna followed him closely behind. "What exactly are we doing here?"

"Number 9."

What was number 9 again? Luna thought. She wrote the list but she couldn't even remember what she wrote in numerical order. She was deep in her thoughts trying to figure out what was number 9 until...

"HOLY SHIIIIT!!" Luna covered her mouth with her hands.

In front of them, lies a crocodile. A big fat HUGE crocodile right by the lake in Athena's backyard. Athena motioned the two to go to her behind the fence. "My baby hasn't eaten for a month now. He's hungry." She walked to the table behind them, with raw meats prepared by her maid, and forcefully chopped it like a serial killer killing the victim. Luna stood still, unsure which one scares her more, the giant beast by the lake, or Athena with a sharp knife. Athena handed her the plate with a mixture of meat. Chicken and beef.

"He hasn't had beef for a long time. Since today is special, you get to feed him his favourite meal." Athena gave a half-smile at Luna, but the latter flinched. Why did I even wrote this into my list? What the hell was I thinking?! Luna screamed in her head.

She took the plate with shaking hands and looked over to Zach. "What do I do now?" Luna gave signals in her eyes asking for help.

"The same way you feed a chicken, throw the food at them."

Luna took a step forward and exhaled. She grabbed the meat in her hand and threw it towards the crocodile, which caught it with his mouth. Luna's fear immediately disappeared, she felt excited. She was genuinely happy. She continued feeding the beast joyfully. Zach smiled looking at how happy Luna was. She was doing a little jump when she threw the meat. For a second, he thought she was cute. He was busy beaming over Luna until he realised that Athena was staring at him. She raised her eyebrow and shook her head.

"Oh he's so cute! What's his name?" Luna asked gleefully. "Kitty." Athena answered. Weird. For something so massive and macho-looking, the croc's name was... Kitty. But Luna shrugged it off, she was having fun feeding Kitty.

"Thank you..." Luna said to Athena.

"For what?"

"For letting me feed your pet. Zach told me you're very serious on your privacy." Luna finally smiled at Athena.

"You should thank him instead. He begged me on his knees for days before I said yes."

Luna looked over to Zach who was red from embarrassment which made her chuckled. Maybe he's not so bad after all...

After they were done, Luna texted Elle her location so that Elle's driver could pick her up. She sat in the gazebo while waiting. Athena walked over and handed her a small tub of ice cream from Haagen-Dazs. "Thanks!" Luna opened the cap off and ate the ice cream cheerfully which ignited the curiosity in Athena.

"Zach told me about your list."

Luna paused then continued eating the ice cream. "What about it?"

"Your determination to live your life the way you want to is admirable. I would like to offer you my help if you want."

Suddenly a gust of wind blew, Luna felt chills and hugged her cardigan tighter. She was silent for moment. "Thank you, I appreciate it." The gates opened and the driver pulled in the driveway. "Oh, my ride is here. Thank you for today." Zach came out of the house and walked towards the gazebo. "Thank you, both of you. I really enjoyed today." Luna had a big smile plastered on her face. As Luna went in the car, Athena and Zach waved at her.

"She's a nice girl." Athena said. "I hope you know what you're doing. She's nice, too nice. For you."

Zach nodded and sighed. "I won't hurt her." He was confident that he won't do anything that would hurt her or risk her life.

"I'm sure you won't, but... getting her involved with you, it makes her a target. You know that, right?"

Zach didn't think that far. All he wanted was to help Luna initially. He didn't think of the consequences of letting her in his life.

06/02/2012 (Monday)

Thomas & Olivia

After lunch, Thomas and Olivia headed back to the Seniors' Block to get their stuff before they head over to meet their respective mentees. Olivia was visibly annoyed due to two reasons. One, her mentee is an annoying nerdy guy from 4-5. Two, Luke is paired with Athena, and she knew that Athena would do something to provoke Luke. Since she's in love with Luke, she doesn't want that for him. Moreover, she's clearly jealous that Athena would be spending time with Luke one on one.

Thomas had already packed his stuff from his class and head over to Olivia's class. "Hey you done?" Thomas leaned at the door. "Yeah, let's go. Where are you meeting your mentee?" Olivia asked him. "Well we've decided to meet at the canteen. You?" The two walked down the stairs. "The library." Olivia seemed to have a lot in her mind. "You okay?" Thomas asked. "I'm fine." But clearly, her voice and her facial expression showed the opposite of fine. Thomas knew the reason behind it, but he decided to stay silent. He liked her from day one but she only ever had eyes for Luke.

Luke & Athena

Luke was looking at his watch, 1:40PM. She should be here 10 minutes ago. He was waiting in his class where he's supposed to tutor Athena, but she's nowhere to be seen. Just as he sighed in irritation, there was a knock on the door. "May I come in?" Athena was standing by the door with a sneaky smile on her face. "You're late." Luke replied with a flat tone.

Athena took a seat in front of Luke. "Sorry, my Lord, I had to stop by the toilet to do number 2." She gave a peace sign. "Let's just start." Luke took out his textbooks and notes from his backpack. "Where are your notes?" He asked. "I don't have any, why do you think I'm here for?" Athena was typing on her phone, and then putting it away to the side.

"Let's start with Additional Maths."

Half an hour passed, Luke tried his best to explain the formula for differential equations and did several problems to show it to Athena how to apply the formula. "Okay, now you do it." Luke pushed his notebook to Athena, who's hands were on her cheeks, elbows on the table, staring at him with a smirk.

"But I don't know how~"

"I just explained it to you." Luke furrowed his eyebrow.

"Explain it to me one more time, then." Her hands were still on her cheeks smiling, amused to see Luke irritated. He spent 10 minutes more, re-explaining the formula to her. She looked at her watch. "Oh look, it's already 2:30PM, tutoring session's over. See ya tomorrow." Athena stood up. "Wait, hold on." Luke stopped her. "I have basketball training tomorrow." Athena shrugged. "I have archery training on Wednesday. Guess I'll see you on Thursday." In a split second, she disappeared.

07/02/2012 (Tuesday)

Ares & Eve

Eve was practising for her upcoming recital in April at the Music Conservatory where she would be featured as a solo violinist with the orchestra. However, she was a little distracted by the food container on her right. It was filled with the brownies that she baked, intending to give it to Ares, but she couldn't do it as he was always with Athena. She did not dare to approach him while Athena was there. She continued playing while staring at the food container. School is almost over, and she might not have the chance to give it to him.

*Knock Knock* Well, if it isn't the Devil himself that came through the door. Eve was smiling widely when she saw the person that she wanted to see the most entered the room. "Hey." He walked in with a charming smile. "Hi!" Eve greeted cheerfully. "I saw you through the window. You look a little tense, why's that?" Ares took a seat next to her. "Oh it's nothing, just tired I guess." Eve scrunched her nose.

Whenever he felt irritated or suffocated, Ares would go for a walk around the school, and would always end up at the Music Block. It's where he felt safe, for some reason. Just sitting in the music room with Eve, makes his problems go away temporarily. He longed for a sense of peace, and to control his temper and anger, and she makes him feel calm amidst the chaos in his life. For once, someone doesn't see him as a monster that he is. He was reminded of who he was, before everything changed, before he became who he is now. He was confused with his feelings, and he honestly didn't know what to do. He knew she was too good for him. He knew he shouldn't betray Athena.

"Actually, I have something for you." Eve handed the food container to Ares. "I baked it myself last night." She blushed, hoping that he'll like it. Ares opened the food container and ate one. Eve focused on his reaction to see if he thinks it's good or if it makes him vomit, but he had his typical poker face on. "Uhm, how- how is it?" Eve asked anxiously. Her nervous expression made him laugh. "It's delicious. Top tier brownies." He ate one more. Eve was ecstatic and clapped her hands.

She rummaged through her backpack and pulled out her iPod. "I have a favour to ask from you."

Ares was busy munching the brownies and it's almost gone. "What is it?"

"I don't know which song to perform, and I'm stuck in between 10 choices. And since you have knowledge of classical music, I wanted your opinion on it." She handed him her iPod. "I recorded myself playing all 10 songs, and I have to make my decision by the end of the month."

Ares chuckled. "Are you giving me homework?" Eve was taken aback. Oh no, did I come off too bossy? She thought. "No problem, I'll give it a listen later, and let you know." He paused. "But I don't have your number yet." Once again, she's head over heels for his devilish smirk.

Eve & Hannah

Hannah was walking towards the Music Block to wait for Eve. When she arrived, Ares came out of the room where Eve usually practised, and walked pass by Hannah. She can't just let it be without telling Eve the truth. She had to warn her. Hannah went into the room and stood by the doorway. "Oh hey you're here. Give me a minute, I'll pack my stuff." Eve placed her violin in the case. "I have to tell you something." Hannah said. "What is it? You're making me nervous" Hannah walked towards Eve and sat down. "Maybe you should sit first." Hannah patted the chair next to her. Eve sat down, worried if it's something serious.

"Look, I know we've only met each other recently, but I do consider you my friend..." Hannah took a deep breath. "And as your friend, I have to be honest with you." Eve was getting more agitated. "What is it, what's wrong?" She asked.

"I get that you like Ares, but he's not good for you." Hannah said. "I should've told you from the start. I don't know why I didn't. But, you're Eve. You're an accomplished violinist with a bright future ahead. You deserve better than him."

Eve pondered on what Hannah said. "What do you mean that he's 'not good' for me? Because he's a rebel at school?"

Hannah sighed. "I've mentioned the name, 'Edward' before didn't I? And you asked me who he was." Eve nodded. "Edward is one of the Delinquents, but he's not like the rest of them. He's... actually considered the weakling of their group. Last year in November, he was beaten up real bad till he was unconscious by a rival group. He's currently in a coma."

"But what does that have to do with Ares?"

"Ares... beat up the guy who initiated the attack on Edward, by himself. With a hockey stick. And the guy is also currently battling for his life in a coma... There are talks going around that the guy was doing a lot worse than Edward, that he might not make it, he might not survive."

Eve was silent, shocked by what she just heard.

"He's dangerous, Eve. It's best if you avoid him." Hannah warned.

Luna, Zach & Ares

Luna was on her bed watching some funny videos on her laptop when she got a text from Zach. She unlocked her phone which she finally decided to put a password after being advised by him.

Zach: We're on for Thursday. Make sure to pack comfortable clothes and shoes.

Luna: What????? Why?

Zach: Number 2.

Luna just can't keep it with the list because she couldn't memorise it in order. She pulled her side drawer and took out the list. Number 2, skip school and go to arcade. "Yeeeeeeee!" Luna squealed. She was excited. Finally! A scenario where she gets to skip school but not end up being at the hospital. She imagined what they would do on that day. Can Thursday just come faster, please?

Luna: Ok! So what's the plan?

Zach was sitting outside of the Dome. He was smiling all by himself, reading the text. He didn't realise Ares was staring at him. "What are you smiling at?" He raised an eyebrow. "Mind your own business." Zach said while typing on his phone, replying to Luna's text. "Oh so you're keeping secrets from me now? I thought we agreed to be transparent to each other." Ares sat down on the chair opposite of Zach. "I'm the one keeping secrets? Me?" Zach snorted.

"I heard about the thing you're doing with the sick girl, Athena told me."

"It's Luna." Zach muttered. "What?" Ares asked but he was a bit distracted by the noise that the other Delinquents made. Sounded like a bomb going off, who knows what's happening.

"Her name is Luna."

Luna scrolled her phone, rereading the text, impatient for tomorrow.

Zach: We're on for Thursday. Make sure to pack comfortable clothes and shoes.

Luna: What????? Why?

Zach: Number 2.

Luna: Ok! So what's the plan?

Zach: Why don't you let me worry about the plan. Just make sure you wear comfortable shoes & pack extra clothes to change, you don't want people to know that we're skipping school. And meet me behind the assembly hall when you arrive. It's better if you arrive early. Like 7AM.

Luna: My mother would be suspicious, but I'll try.

Zach: The earlier we are, the less witnesses there are to see us escape.

Luna: Got it 👌

Luna closed her laptop and placed it on the desk next to her bed. She turned on her iPod and put in her earphones while she lied down. Nodding her head to the beat of the song, with her eyes closed. She can't wait to go to school tomorrow. Her condition was stable for the past month, so her mom was starting to be less worried about her going to school, which gives Luna the opportunity to try and complete her mission without her mom watching her like a hawk.

Ares was driving his car with Zach next to him in the passenger seat. The whole ride was silent. "What's your problem, you've never been this quiet before." Ares started the conversation. Zach sighed. "You said it yourself that we should be transparent with each other after what happened. Yet, you're the one keeping secrets now." Ares furrowed his eyebrow. "What do you mean?" The car stopped at the red light.

"You're always off somewhere, you disappear during our trainings. If anyone is keeping a secret here, it's you."

Ares was relieved in his mind. He thought Zach was going to tell him that he knew about Eve. He wanted to tell Zach, but he wasn't ready yet.

"I just have a lot on my mind that's all." Ares pressed on the gas pedal and speed off when the light turned green.

"I told you, it's okay to try to get professional help. If you need to see a therapist you should. There's nothing embarrassing about it."

"I know, I just... I just need some time."

08/02/2012 (Wednesday)

Karly, Elle & Luna

Karly and Luna were waiting for Elle, who was off to get something at the Science Block, in Luna's classroom. Karly looked at her watch on her left wrist. Where the heck is Elle, what's taking so long. She thought. They were supposed to meet here to discuss for their plans for the bake sale organised by the Cooking Club, but it's been more than 15 minutes and Elle still hadn't show up. "Let's just go and find her." Karly suggested. Luna packed her stuff into her backpack and stood up catching up with Karly who was already at the door.

"She texted like 20 minutes ago that she left her books and notes at the Chemistry Lab. So maybe she's still there?" Luna's eyes were still on the screen reading the text. The two headed to the Science Block together. When they arrived, they looked into the window of the door, but there was no one there. "She probably left already, I'll call her." Karly pulled out her phone from her cardigan pocket, and dialled in Elle's number.

There was a muffled sound of a phone ringtone ringing. The sound was coming from the toilet next to the Chemistry Lab. Karly and Luna looked at each other because it was Elle's phone ringtone, a song called Mayonaka no Shadow by a Japanese Boyband, Hey! Say! Jump!. As far as they know no one else in the school had the same ringtone as Elle because JPOP wasn't that well known within the students of the school, because most of them were into American and British rock or pop music, or KPOP.

Karly pushed the toilet door opened. She took a peek inside and was shocked to see Elle sitting on the floor crying. "Oh my God! Elle! What happened?" Karly ran to her. Luna rushed into the toilet after hearing Karly yelled. Elle's textbook and notes were scattered on the floor along with her glasses, pencil case and bag. Elle was still on the floor crying. "Come on, let's help her up." Luna and Karly pulled Elle up and collected her stuff that was on the floor. Thankfully, the floor wasn't wet, or else all her notes would be ruined.

"It's those bitches again, wasn't it?" Karly was angry. This wasn't the first time that Elle had been bullied by some mean girls from Year 11. They targeted her because she was a 'Nouveau Riche', a derogatory term to describe someone who is newly rich or recently acquired wealth but is looked down on by the 'Old Money' for being unpolished or tacky wannabes and a social climber. Elle's family business which struggled for years finally struck gold when she was 12 back in 2008, and the business grew faster than ever. But in the eyes of an 'Old Money' family, they are still below them.

Since Northbridge is a school for the rich that doesn't offer scholarships for the low- and middle-income students, the 'Nouveau Riche' students are the black sheep of the school. The bottom of the food chain. However, they are still accepted within the high society because they are, at the end of the day, rich. Elle was having a tough time when she first enrolled in Northbridge in Year 7, because of the culture-shock. Everyone else have the latest and expensive bags, shoes, and more. Since her family only became rich the year earlier, she had no idea what others were talking about.

"I don't get it. Your family's been rich for 4 years already, I wouldn't call that 'newly rich'." Karly placed the notes and textbook inside of Elle's backpack. "Besides, it's stupid to bully someone for the duration of when they became rich." She continued. Luna was busy wiping Elle's tears with tissue. "Come on, let's just leave." Luna was holding Elle's hand and led her outside while Karly carried Elle's backpack.

"I have to go now, Table Tennis meeting. Take care, okay? I'll talk to you both tonight." Karly put the glasses on Elle and gave her a hug before she left. Luna was worried to leave Elle alone, but she had to leave soon too, to go to the hospital. "You should go..." Elle said quietly. "I'll be fine. I'll call my driver; I just want to go home." Luna patted her back. "Come on, walk with me to the waiting area?" The two walked to the central waiting area and waited for Luna's mother to arrive to bring her to her appointment.

When Luna got into the car, she waved at Elle, who waved back with a smile, trying to assure Luna that she's fine. Elle knew Luna is a worrier. When the car was out of the view, Elle took a seat on the bench, intending to call her driver to pick her up. However, as she dialed his number, she suddenly had a change of heart. She wasn't ready to go back home and face her mom. The bullies from Year 11 said some mean things about her mother. How she wasn't classy enough and is a running joke for the other mothers of the students in the school. She was heartbroken by what she heard. It wasn't only her that was bullied, but her mom as well.

You'll just have to survive this year and next year. Then you'll be free. Elle tried to convince herself. She stood up and took a walk to clear her head.

Luke & Athena

Tutoring session had just started for Luke and Athena. They weren't supposed to meet today, but the Archery club training was canceled. So here they were, in the art class alone, going through several Chemistry questions from the book. Luke was busy explaining something about Chemistry that Athena was not interested in. She looked out the window, it was raining heavily. What a perfect weather to sleep. She looked over at Luke who was sitting in front of her, his eyes still on his notes, going on about the periodic table. What a nerd.

Athena shook her head and closed her eyes. She rested her chin on her palm, dozing off. It was starting to get a little too quiet. Luke looked up to see Athena sleeping peacefully. Weird, she doesn't seem so detestable when she's sleeping. Luke noticed that she was looking a little pale. Athena has always been pale-looking, but today she seemed... extra pale. Is she sick? He wondered. Luke was contemplating on whether to wake her up or just let her be.

"Like what you see?" Athena asked without opening her eyes.

Luke was taken aback. He thought she was sleeping. "You're supposed to finish all these questions. Not sleep."

Athena opened her eyes and stretched her hands. "It's not my fault that I was sleepy."

"Whose fault is it then?"

"Yours. Your voice just puts me to sleep honestly. Maybe I should record it. I have trouble sleeping lately." Athena yawned.

"Why'd you signed up for the peer mentoring program if you don't even want to be here in the first place? You're only making your life miserable."

"Who said I didn't want to be here?"

Luke sighed. "Let's just go over the question. The faster we finish this set of questions, the sooner we can go home."

"But I don't wanna go home just yet, cause I'm having fun hanging out with you." Athena said sarcastically and winked.

Here it is. The detestable version of Athena has finally emerged. She was better when she was sleeping. Luke who was always known to be patient, has his patience tested by Athena. For some reason, when others joke around like that with him, he doesn't mind it at all. But when Athena did it, it annoys the hell out of him. He took a deep breath and exhaled.

"That's enough. Come on, try to solve the problems."

Suddenly, there was a noise. A grumbling sound. And it wasn't the thunder. It was Luke's stomach. They both looked down at his stomach. It kept growling.

"You didn't eat?" Athena asked.

"Just ignore it. It will go away." Luke passed his notes to Athena. But the growling just won't stop.

"I can't concentrate when your stomach is busy having a concert." Athena pulled the zip on her backpack and took out a chocolate bar. "Here. Eat it." She tossed the chocolate bar to him.

"It's fine. You can have it back."

"What? You're worried that I put potassium cyanide in it? Check the wrappings if you're scared."

Huh. Luke was surprised that she actually knows what a potassium cyanide is. "How do you know what a cyanide is?" He asked.

Athena was silent. Then she gave him a spine-chilling smile. "That's a secret..."

Luke was staring at her without blinking. Athena burst into laughter. "I'm just kidding... Haven't you watch Detective Conan? Several of the episodes featured death by cyanide poisoning. Now, if you want me to be interested in Chemistry, then you gotta make it interesting like how Conan did."

That was... kind of cool, Luke thought. He looked over to her again. She was trying to solve one of the questions. There are just so many things that he doesn't understand about her. He can't seem to figure her out.

"Hey Athena?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you... for the chocolate."

"You're welcome."

Jake & Hannah/Atlas & Elle

Hannah was heading towards the girls' toilet on the Year 10's floor, next to class 4-7. She made sure to check there was no one else around on the floor before heading into the toilet, as she's been avoiding the Delinquents for a while now because of Jake. Although the atmosphere was a bit scary and silent, but it's better this way rather than face Jake and his stupid pranks. She went into the toilet. There was one toilet stall occupied. At least she's not alone, she thought.

After she was done with her business, she went to the sink to wash her hands. Elle was washing her hand at the sink on the far left. They were classmates, and Elle is seated behind Eve in class. However, they never really converse with each other in class or outside of class. But still, they greeted each other when they bumped into each other in the toilet, albeit awkwardly. They washed their hands quietly. Once Elle was done, she headed out first.

"BOO!!!!!!"

"GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" Elle screamed on the top of her lungs.

"Wait, you're not Hannah." Jake scratched his head in confusion. Atlas smacked the back of Jake's head. "That's enough, dipshit."

Elle hurriedly walked away, not realizing that she dropped her wallet. Atlas picked it up and went after her on the stairs.

Atlas & Elle

"Wait!" Atlas called out. Elle sped up her pace out of fear. But Atlas caught up with her and stood in her way at the stairs. Elle was shaking, in her mind, he was going to torment her just like the others. It wasn't enough with the seniors, now the Delinquents are targeting her too. "W-what is it?" She stuttered, not able to look at him in the eye and her sight focused on the floor.

Atlas held out his hand and gave her wallet back. "You dropped this." Elle slowly took it back, without looking at him in the eye. "T-thanks." She said with a soft voice. Atlas walked down the stairs, and Elle followed him from behind with a distance, in fear that the other Delinquents would come and gather. Even though Luna had told her that the Delinquents were in fact, kind of nice, but Elle didn't really buy it. Better to be safe than sorry. She promised herself to stay away from any drama or danger until she graduates from the school, and to endure the bullying that she's been getting for years now.

Elle hoped that he would walk elsewhere, but he was walking towards the same direction she's heading. Atlas turned around and Elle immediately stood still. They were both staring at each other. Elle was puzzled with what was going on.

"Well, what are you standing there like a statue for?" Atlas asked.

"Umm... I... I don't know. Y-you wanted to say something?" Elle said nervously.

Atlas furrowed his eyebrow. "Actually, no. I'm just waiting for my friend here."

Silence filled the air. "O-oh. Okay. Goodbye then." Elle ran as fast as she could. She can't believe she had just embarrassed herself in front of Atlas. Why did she think he wanted to say something to her? But then again, why did she walk discreetly behind him when she could have just run straight away? She wanted to slap herself out of embarrassment. What an awful day.

Jake & Hannah

As soon as Hannah heard Elle screaming, she knew her nightmare has come. How is she going to leave the girls' toilet now? She pulled out her phone to ask for help from her friends. "Goddammit. My phone's dead." She pulled her hair out of frustration.

"I know you're in there~" Jake sang. "Come out come out whenever you want~~"

I'm sick of this. Hannah thought. I won't let him ruin my day, my month, and my year. Hannah wanted to fight back, but it wasn't Jake that she's worried about. It's his gang of psychos. She was terrified by the rest of them, but less with Jake. She was intimidated by him initially, but it's starting to get annoying now. She must think of ways in which she can fight back without causing it to be a war between her and the Delinquents, so that it's just a battle between her and Jake.

"Okay, okay, I can think of something. Think, Hannah, think!" Hannah suddenly had a brilliant idea. Why didn't she think of it earlier? She thought. "Okay, let's do this! Game on!" She hyped herself. She walked out of the girls' toilet confidently.

"Well, well, look who we have here..." Jake smirked.

Hannah smiled back. "Look, I didn't realize it before, but I do now..."

"Realize what?" Jake said with a confused look on his face.

Hannah tucked her hair behind her ear. "That you have a crush on me. You know what people say, boys are mean to girls that they like, right?" She smiled shyly.

"...Huh?"

"Okay! I hereby give you permission to court me." Hannah took a step closer to Jake and boop-ed his nose with her finger. "See you tomorrow." She winked and left quickly.

What the hell just happened? Did she slipped and fall, and banged her head on the cement or something? Who does she think she is? There's no way in hell that I would like her. She's not even anywhere near my type. He scoffed. "Keep on dreaming. This isn't over yet."

Luke & Ares

After they were done with the tutoring session, Luke left the art room, heading towards the east wing side of the carpark. From where he was walking, he spotted Ares who was walking towards his direction. Probably looking for Athena. I wonder what Athena would think if she knew her boyfriend was being too comfortable with another girl in the music room, Luke thought. He was looking for Thomas who was also in the music club when he saw Ares and the new girl together in one of the music rooms. From what he saw, it doesn't seem like Ares and the girl were just friends. He spotted them together several more times over the few weeks.

"What are you looking at?" Ares said in a threatening voice.

Luke scoffed and walked away. I shouldn't get involved in their matter; it has nothing to do with me. He thought. However, deep inside, he somehow felt guilt and pity towards Athena. He turned back and watched as the two lovebirds hug each other. Don't do it, Luke. It's not worth your time. But the look on Athena's face when she smiled at Ares, it makes Luke felt even more sympathetic towards her.

END OF EPISODE 2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...