A Court of Wings and Fate

By LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... More

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

53. Teamwork

673 41 8
By LeeraIvy

    By the time the sun had risen, they were beyond the foothills of the mountain and making their way through a thick snowy forest. Mikael had been silent for the past several hours. He'd shielded himself from the Bond too, so Estelle couldn't feel what he felt.

    It worried her, especially when she recalled the story he'd shared. Anger burned in her gut. Ronan had torn out Mikael's feathers. How old had her mate been at the time? He hadn't said, but he was certainly very young if he didn't know what bastards and whores were. She guessed he might've been around eleven or twelve. Possibly older, maybe younger.

    Estelle stared at Mikael's back as they walked. Her shadows rested along the curve of his wings and dangled around his neck. They were unusually quiet and lethargic. She guessed it was due to the wards around the mountain.

    I wonder if they'll be affected like this during the Illyrian Blood Rite, Estelle thought. She had never asked her father that before. Perhaps she would the next time they were in the Night Court.

    "Do we have a certain amount of time to reach the Fountain?" Estelle asked, finally breaking the silence.

    Mikael shook his head. "The Rite takes most warriors eight days in total. Four days to the Fountain and four days for the trip back down."

    "I bet we can make it sooner."

    A small smile flickered across his lips. "We'll see, Batsy. It depends on the conditions we'll face."

    Undergrowth snapped nearby and Estelle drew closer to Mikael. "Well, at least with spring coming, we know more animals will be active. That will make hunting easier."

    "And more dangerous. Animals will be hungry and territorial now."

    "We need to make weapons of some kind."

    Mikael lifted his gaze to the cloudy sky. "We'll find shelter first. It might snow tonight, or rain at least."

    "Freezing rain will kill us faster than snow," Estelle pointed out. "Devlon taught me that."

    "We'll be safe from snow and rain after we pass the cloud level. For now, snow will help us freeze meat. We won't be able to hunt very much once we're past the treeline. There won't be as many animals up there."

    Estelle nodded her understanding and kept her senses alert. She could hear branches rustling in the wind and stale animal scents permeated the air. Her hand reached instinctively for Znaniya, even though she knew the blade wasn't there.

    Her stomach clenched with anxiety, but she attempted to stifle it. She knew how to survive in the wild while unequipped. Devlon had taken groups of Illyrians into the mountains and taught them how to live on the land for several days as part of their training.

    Azriel, Rhys, and Cassian took her and the Boys on several similar trips as well. When they grew more capable, the males left them alone to fend for themselves at night, returning only when absolutely necessary. She knew what she was doing, and so did Mikael. They would work together and survive.

    The day seemed to stretch on slowly. Dismal gray clouds hung thick overhead. Estelle knew Mikael was worried about rain. He kept checking their progress and the position of the clouds every few minutes. Estelle kept track of the time by catching glimpses of the sun when the clouds parted briefly.

    By now, Thesan and Ameer had to know where they'd gone. Estelle kept expecting her mother to reach out to her mentally, but Seren was silent. Perhaps Lysander hadn't told their parents, or maybe Seren couldn't speak to her because of the wards around the mountain.

    They only stopped a few times, when they found clear streams to drink from. Estelle had searched for signs of fish, but there were none. They'd have to settle for whatever they caught in the forest after finding shelter. She did find several smooth and sharp rocks, some of which she identified as flint, that would be useful for making weapons later. She'd been collecting sturdy sticks too, binding them together with her belt and carrying them on her back.

    They found shelter just as the sky began to darken. A small cave was wedged into the mountainside, surrounded by trees and snow. Mikael scanned the mouth of the cave from a distance. "There are no animal tracks," Estelle pointed out. "And I can't scent anything."

    We see nothing, the shadows whispered faintly.

    Mikael nodded wordlessly, entering the cave. He leaned his head back, drawing in a deep breath. "If there were animals here, they're long gone. I think we'll be safe for the night."

    "Great." Estelle dropped to the ground and deposited her load of rocks and sticks. Mikael shook his head with a laugh. He knelt and tilted her chin up, kissing her briefly.

    "I'll build a fire. You play with your sticks, Batsy," he teased.

    Estelle threw one at him with a huff. "See if I share my weapons with you, Feathers." He headed towards the cave entrance and she bit her lip nervously. "Don't go too far."

    "I won't." Mikael stepped outside and disappeared into the trees.

    Estelle sorted out her sticks and rocks, examining them thoughtfully. The flint could be used to make knives and spearheads, but she only had enough for four, two of each. She'd have to use the other stones she found as well. Estelle stroked her chin thoughtfully.

    I could just use the flint for knives and sharpen the ends of larger branches to be used as spears. Estelle thought a little longer, then set to work.

    Using a rough stone, she began shaping the flint. Once the edges were sharpened, she sliced at the end of a stick. She'd considered testing the blade on her skin, but decided against it, fearing that animals might scent her blood and come to investigate. Estelle set her blade aside and went to work on the next one.

    Once the flints were finished, she began working on sharpening a few sticks and transforming several of them into handles for the flint knives. She cut through her belt and used the pieces of leather to attach the blades to the shafts.

    By the time Mikael returned, she had fashioned four knives and several makeshift javelins. "Here." Estelle kicked a scrap of flint over to Mikael. "I'm sure you can use this to help start your fire."

    "What are you doing?" Mikael raised an eyebrow.

    Estelle sheathed her new knives and slung a javelin between her wings. "Going hunting," she replied with a grin.

◦═══✦═══◦

    The scent of rain hung thick in the air. Mikael crossed his arms, pacing in front of the cave entrance. A fire crackled behind him, filling a small portion of the stone structure with blissful heat.

    He was waiting for Estelle's return. The urge to go find her was overwhelming but he fought it. She was capable of looking after herself, he knew, and suppose he interrupted her as she was about to make a kill, or she mistook him for an animal? No, he would give her a little more time before he went out searching for her.

    Minutes passed by. The air grew steadily cooler and no stars were visible through the thick dark clouds. Wind gusted past the cave with an eerie howl. Mikael shook his wings out, trying to quell the nervousness that had ruffled his feathers. Just as he decided to go and search for Estelle, her figure appeared up ahead.

    The sky opened up and freezing rain began to pour. Estelle ran to the cave, using her wings to shield herself and her quarry. Mikael grabbed her arm, pulling her inside. He took the small rabbits she'd caught while she shook water off her wings.

    "Are your clothes wet?" Mikael asked, holding out a hand. She tossed him a flint knife.

    "No." Estelle neared the fire and spread her wings, kneeling beside it. She bowed her head, letting the heat dry the last of the rain from her body.

    Mikael skinned and gutted the rabbits expertly. Estelle watched him over her shoulder. "Who taught you to do that?" She asked. "Every time I do it, it looks like a wolf devoured half of the creature before I caught it."

    "My father. Ameer," he clarified. "My fathers and I used to go out on day trips to different valleys in the mountains. Some had waterfalls we wanted to see. Others had good lakes for swimming." Estelle raised an eyebrow. "Wet feathers might be uncomfortable, but swimming is still fun," Mikael chuckled. "Father was never one for hunting, but Ameer didn't mind. He taught me how to hunt, make swift kills, and prepare the animal."

    He skewered the rabbits on two spare sticks and handed one to Estelle. They held them over the open flames, letting the meat cook. Estelle rested her head on his shoulder wearily. "Will your fathers be angry with you for doing this?"

    "I don't know," Mikael sighed.

    "What happens to those who participate in the Rite without permission?"

    "I don't know," he repeated. "I'm sure it's happened before, but I've never found notes or papers on the matter."

    "We'll need to start freezing meat tomorrow and collecting at least a little firewood to carry with us," Estelle murmured. Mikael pushed her stick up as her rabbit dipped lower into the flames. "If it weren't raining, I'd have said we could've frozen one of these."

    "At least there might be some meat left for us to eat in the morning," Mikael replied.

    He drew his rabbit away from the fire and sniffed it. He let it cool a few minutes before beginning to eat. Estelle tore into hers with wolffish bites. Maybe there won't be any left, Mikael thought to himself with some amusement.

    The rain didn't seem keen to let up anytime soon. Cold air drifted through the cave, but the heat from the fire kept it at bay. Mikael smothered the old logs with ashes, hoping that would keep the fire warm and burning for most of the night.

    Estelle was already falling asleep. Mikael situated one of his wings beneath himself as she had. The cold ground would steal warmth from them if they weren't careful. Mikael slid an arm around Estelle's waist, drawing her closer to him. She folded one of her wings over him and he settled his own over hers.

    Her hands curled against his chest as she drifted off to sleep. Mikael smoothed locks of hair from her face and kissed her forehead. As much as he wished she hadn't come along, he was grateful not to be alone. He was realizing just how difficult that might have been.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 1.2K 64
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART] As the heir to the crown of Terrasen, Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius has always felt more responsibili...
17.8K 495 25
A Cassian and Azriel pairing. There is unrest in the Illyrian camps, and a troubling silence from the Hewn City. Azriel hasn't been able to get his s...
34.3K 1.7K 42
Eternal: (adj.) Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning Athanasia never complained about her situation. She never felt like she had th...
59.1K 1.9K 18
𝐄𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚: 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬. She saw herself as one could view the moon. Isolated from everyone, alone in the da...