INDOMITUS [18+]✔️

By ssybahz

In which, a blind business tycoon gets assigned to a nymphomaniac nurse _____________________________________... More

PREFACE
Prologue
1: Tempest
2: Orphic
3: Metamorphosis
4: Sisyphus (R)
5: Metanoia
6: Dysphoria
7: Ventriloquist
8: Miraculum
9: Conflagrations
10: Euphony
11: Ibrat
12: Corybantic
Why Does Adrianna act the way she does?
13: Floriferous (R)
14: Agliophobia
15: Fulminate
16: Aphrodisiac (R)
17: Acrasia
18: Euphoria (R)
19: Acosmist
20: Chimera
21: Odyssey
22: Suave (R)
23: Saudade (R)
24: Ephemeral (R)
25: Petrichor
26: Supine
27: Aubade (R)
28: Esoteric
29: Eumoirous
30: Vulnerary
31: Premonition
32: Sacrilegious
33: Perilous
34: Frigus
35: Kalokagathia
37: Nugatory
38: Epihialtes
Epilogue: Aeonian
The Wrap Up
Extra Chapter: Interlude (R)
Extra Chapter: Unrequited
Extra Chapter: Ethereal + My works

36: Ephemeral

58.7K 2.9K 812
By ssybahz

This chapter is kinda sad.

Here's chocolate bars 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫 in case you need some support.

Also I use a lot of metaphors and symbolism in my writing. So it's more enjoyable when you notice them :))
_______

"Life is not measured by time. It is measured by moments."

Armin Houman

Ephemeral (adj.)- Short lived

Adrianna's POV:

"Of course," Archer's voice was barely above a whisper. I made eye contact with the chief, grateful for his consideration and help.

"Thank you," I shot him a small smile, "For everything."

"I wish you a better future, make us proud," He nodded.

A small drop of tear escaped me as I turned to look at Archer. He took my hand and led us through the hall. My eyes roamed around the vast hallway- passing like a blur. My eyes fell on the rows of chairs reserved for the patients.

There used to be a kid with a bald head and turquoise eyes. He would always look at me whenever I visited and give me a smile.

I stopped Archer, tugging at his arm. I walked to the ward boy, my legs shaky.

"Do you... perhaps know the boy that used to sit here?" I gulped down the raucousness that embedded itself into the crevasse of my throat, "Blue eyes, bald head. About five or six years old?"

He fixed his glasses, frowning at me, "Which boy are you talking about, miss?"

"You know the one with bald head, about this tall," I showed him the estimated height of the boy.

"Oh his name was Jaques. He had blood cancer."

My heart dropped at his name being mentioned in the past tense.

"W-Was?"

"He passed away a week ago."

I closed my eyes, the words stinging me. Maybe the boy was just a passing memory, like waves chasing for the shore and then fading away- only leaving a trail of its existence.

"T-Thank you," I mumbled, turning my back and walking to Archer, my fists clenching.

"He died," I whispered to Archer, "He-"

"Adri," Archer whispered, "Let's go."

A sob escaped me as I pressed a hand over my mouth, Fresh tears mingling with the dried ones.

"Everything is going wrong," My voice was heavy, "Everything."

"I am sure that kid is in a better place," He let out a shaky breath, "A better place than this antiseptic smelling torture house."

I shook my head, my mind a jumbled mess. I was caught in a string of affliction, a sting that controlled me like a puppet.

I felt like a marionette, a broken doll that was being controlled by some unknown puppeteer. I had no control over the events or the calamities that came in one after another.

My world of colors seemed too nauseating, too suffocating, way too realistic. I wanted Ares, I wanted to live in his darkness.

My colors seemed dull, I wanted the world void of anything.

We stopped in front of the surgery room, which was still on-going. I looked at the red bulb, my eyes blank, my fingers playing with the locket.

Minutes passed, or was it hours? I was urged to take a seat by Archer, my eyes never left the closed doors.

Finally, the light turned off and the doors opened. I started at the surgeon on duty.

"If you have slept with anyone before this, clear it internally."

I watched as Dr. Johnson spoke with Archer, his small smile confirmed that the surgery went well.

I stood up and walked over to him. His eyes widened as they fell upon me.

"Adrianna?" He blinked with disbelief, "Hey! Long time no see. What happened to your neck?"

I gulped, unable to meet his gaze, "I hope... we do not have any bad blood between us."

His eyes roamed from Archer to me, taken aback, "O-Of course, but suddenly?"

"I am leaving soon," No traces of emotions lingered in my voice as I stared up at him, "I hope we do not have any misunderstandings between us regarding-"

"What? No!" He laughed, "Absolutely not! Although I am quite disheartened that you are leaving soon, you were a great help, especially when I was only starting out. I can't thank you enough for that."

I did help him a lot with the patients and a lot of other junior residents too. They often struggled with taking orders from the senior residents and nurses.

"Uh- actually," He scratched the back of his head, "After our last encounter I sort of realised that there was no point in chasing you. You are better on your own and... I kind of found someone."

A small smile crawled to my lips, "I wish you all the best with your significant other."

"He is a good person," He smiled sheepishly, "We are hoping to get married someday."

"You are whipped," I commented with a melancholic smile. Not all of us were sad after all.

It baffled me how complex of a concept life was. Some of us were mourning the loss of our loved ones, some of us were knitting the dreams of being with the person we prayed for.

Unfair. Very unfair.

He chuckled, "I wish you the best for the future, Adrianna. I know one day you'll make a great doctor."

I nodded as he shot me a last smile and walked away.

"It was a success," Archer said, "He has been transferred to the regular cabin. Although they did say he will remain unconscious for a while from all the blood loss."

I nodded as he led me to a private cabin, my heart throbbing painfully.

He pushed open the glass door, leading me in.

My heart skipped a beat as I took him in. Attached to the wires and beeping machines, Ares Estevan never seemed weaker. His skin was yet to regain the color it had lost, his leg wrapped up in bandages. A nurse tended to him.

A droplet of tear escaped me as I pulled out a chair and sat beside his unconscious body.

A drop turned into multiple drops, and soon I was wailing. I was wailing as I saw him.

"Miss you can't-"

"Let her," Archer interjected.

The sound of the door opening and closing resonated as we were left alone. Him and I.

He looked so peaceful like this. So peaceful, as if he were sleeping and having a beautiful dream.

Words failed me, all there remained was tears. I took his hand in mine, daintily and placed a small kiss on the back of it.

I held it against my skin as I cried, seeking comfort in his darkness.

"Will you remember me?" I whispered.

The steady rhythm of the holter monitor hung between the silence like a melody.

I wanted to say so many things. I wanted to thank him for saving me twice. I wanted to thank him for understanding me. I wanted to thank him for not judging me. I wanted to thank him for healing me.

"I want to tell you that you are the most perfect human being I have ever come across, Ares," My lips trembled as I spoke.

"Even if our paths don't cross again, even if you forget me; for me, you will always be the only one. Even if I was a passing autumn to you, you will forever be my spring."

I kissed his fingers, my body quivering from the small whimpers that escaped my lips.

"I will find you, even if you don't," I eyed the small pendant that hung from my neck, "And I hope you will be happy in the time I am gone. Be it days, months, years or a lifetime. Even if I am not remembered, I pray that you will find someone who thinks of you as Ares, sees the beauty in your scars."

A smug smile graced my lips, "Although I very much doubt if anyone can admire you as much as I do."

I leaned down, stroking his soft curls, playing with them. I traced his eyebrow and then his closed lids, taking him in one last time.

"Recover quickly," I whispered, pressing a kiss on his forehead, "I have a feeling that your 28th donor will be a match with you. Get back your eyesight and next time I see you, I want you to see me too."

My cheeks felt heavy, a drop of tear fell on his skin. I wiped it off, smiling and crying at the same time.

"Adrianna," Archer's voice rang from the door, "We don't have much time."

I looked at him, wiping my tears and nodding. I looked back at Ares who still seemed to be peacefully sleeping. A sigh escaped me as I took out the blue ribbon that held my hair together and tied it around his wrist.

"I will come back," I brushed back his hair, "I promise."

Maybe what we had was an ephemeral, but it was worth an eternity for me.

Standing up, I shot him a lingering look, my soul tearing into pieces.

I slowly walked away, leaving my heart behind.

"I have made all the arrangements for you to board, the chief's guess was right," Archer drawled out, panic lacing his voice, "The video was sent to a detective. You need to leave this place ASAP. I am trying to handle it."

"What happens now?"

"You leave and I try to get that video removed along with any other information of you that might have been leaked," He sighs, "Fortunately I have some police connections so it shouldn't take time."

I nodded.

"Also here," He handed me a new phone, "Use this phone and if possible throw that phone away. It has new numbers and everything. I have my contact saved there and I have yours too. Any problem, just call me."

"When am I leaving?" My voice was coarse, I needed a long sleep.

"Possibly tonight. We will go to the mansion, get the essentials, and leave by the first flight. Let's go."

My eyes darted back to the room one last time.

A chilly breeze whispered past me. Winter was approaching.

________

There won't be an update tomorrow cause I have some school work.

Anyway did we like it?

Was it yay or nay?

Also this chapter was sort of Adrianna wrapping things up with her past. Also the bald kid was mentioned before. They didn't have any interaction.

This chapter is a bit short.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 34.6K 69
❝You Might Be My Angel In Public, But You're My Whore In Bed.❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━ "Are you ready for me baby?" I nodded my head licking my lips seductivel...
107K 3.6K 40
Young Master's toy. His not so guilty pleasure. #10 in dark romance highest ranked ⚜️ she started to cry, sob, and beg him not to hurt her and then...
258K 2.5K 8
This is an erotic romance. Recommended 18+! Completed. Excerpt: His mouth was back on mine in an instant, the door behind us rattling loudly as he th...
2.8M 69.6K 100
18+| COMPLETE✔️ "Ali..." He sighed, his breath tickling the skin of Alison's neck. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, admiring her beauty, ho...