Dragon Rider in Middle Earth

By Maria555556

Arya Lorawynn is the human child Eragon Bromsson had found centuries ago on the island in which he had been r... More

Intro
Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
XLXI
XLXII
XLXIII

XX

1.9K 59 16
By Maria555556

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Uruk-hai and orcs stop at nightfall.

-We ain't goin' no further 'till we've had a breather!- one of the orcs protests.

-Get a fire going!- another orders.

Pippin crawls towards Merry.

-Merry! Merry!

-I think we might have made a mistake, leaving the Shire, Pippin- Merry whispers.

As the orcs chop at the trees, low groans and rumbles come from the forest.

-What's making that noise?- Pippin asks Merry.

-It's the trees- his friend says, looking up to the old forest.

-What?

-You remember the Old Forest? On the borders of Buckland? Folks used to say that there was something in the water that made the trees grow tall, and come alive- he tells Pippin.

-Alive?

-Trees that could whisper, talk to each other. Even move.

•••••

-I'm starving. We ain't had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinking days!- an orc says taking a bite of hard, mouldy bread.

-Yeah! Why can't we have some meat?- he says. The orc rests his eyes on the hobbits.

-What about them? They're fresh!

-They are not for eating!- the orc with the white hand painted on his face growled.

-What about their legs? They don't need those.

-Ooh! They look tasty!- he approached the hobbits that laid unmoving on the ground.

-Get back, scum! The prisoners go to Saruman. Alive and unspoiled- Úgluk pushes Grishnakh away from them.

-Alive? Why alive? Do they give good sport?- Grishnakh growled.

-They have something. An Elvish weapon. The master wants it for the war

•••••

-They think we have the Ring- Pippin whispered to Merry.

-Shhh! As soon as they find out we don't, we're dead.

•••••

-Just a mouthful. A bit off the flank- Snaga says getting closer to the hobbits who try to kick him away.

Uglúk cuts off Snaga's head with his blade making his head fly off and the body fall to the ground.

-Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!- the Uruk-hai pile on the dead orc.

•••••

-Pippin, let's go!

The hobbits try to crawl away, but Pippin is caught by Grishnák.

-Go on, call for help. Squeal! No one's gonna save you now!

A spear pierces the orc's back. Riders burst out from apparently nowhere and attack the orcs.

-Pippin!

The hobbits head towards the forest. Suddenly Pippin turns and looks up at a pair of thrashing hooves bearing down on him.

-Argh!

••••••••••
•••••

It is dawn. Aragorn, Arya, Legolas, and Gimli are running.

-A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night- Legolas says squinting his eyes from the sun. Arya stands near him -My lady, forgive me asking but I could not help but notice your ears- he watched as her fingers brushed her hair aside and their tips touched the slightly pointed tips.

-I am a Dragon Rider- she said with a smile. Aragorn ran nearer to hear her conversation -when I bonded with Argent, our souls and mind became one- she pulled up her sleeve and showed them her mark -dragons are able to live forever unless they are slain and since we are united, I now share his lifespan. If I get hurt, so does he and it also works the other way around. It is also thanks to the magic that unites us that I can perform such strong magic and it is that very same magic that protects us. The bond was originally made between elves and dragons, that is why other races, when becoming Riders, take on certain elven features like their strength, endurance and even physical traits.

Legolas now in understanding.

The sound of horses is heard making their heads snap to where the sound came from. The four hid behind the rocks. A large group of cavalry appear.
Aragorn comes out of hiding as they pass, Legolas and Gimli behind him.

-Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?- Aragorn jumps from behind their hiding spot.

-Damn it!- Arya runs behind him followed by Legolas and Gimli, angered by her friends stupidity.

At a signal from the lead rider, the riders make a quick turn and head towards the three companions, encircling them. As they stop, they point their spears at them.

-What business does an elf, a man, a woman and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?- the lead rider said pointing his spear at them -Speak quickly!

-Give me your name, horsemaster, and I shall give you mine- Gimli brandished his axe threateningly.

Èomer gets off his horse. Aragorn puts a hand on Gimli's shoulder to hold him back.

-I would cut off your head — dwarf — if it stood but a little higher from the ground.

Legolas quickly aims an arrow at Èomer and stands in front of Arya.

-You would die before your stroke fell!- Arya put her hand on the elf's back to calm him down.

His muscles relaxed but he did not lower his bow, not until Aragorn pushed down his arm down. Arya then took his bow arm and held it against her.

-I'm Aragorn, son of Arathorn- he told the man.

-This is Gimli, son of Glóin, Legolas, from the Woodland realm and Arya. We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king.

-Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe- the man said. Èomer removes his helmet -Not even his own kin.

The spears are withdrawn at his order.

-Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over this land. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked- Èomer gives Legolas a pointed look -And everywhere his spies slip past our nets.

-We are no spies. We track a band of Uruk-hai westward across the plains. They have taken two of our friends captive- Arya tried explaining. The men threw her a look as if not believing a lady was travelling with the group.

-The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night.

-But there were two hobbits, did you see two hobbits with them?- she insisted, Gimli as well seemed awaiting for the answer.

-They would be small, only children to your eyes- Aragorn joined in.

-We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them. Points to smoke in the distance.

-Dead?- Gimli inquired sadly.

-I am sorry- the man said lowering his head a bit.

Legolas rests a hand on Gimli's shoulder and puts the other arm around Arya in a comforting gesture. Even in their current situation she felt warmth rise to her ears and cheeks. Legolas noticed and smiled subtly.
Èomer whistled and his men brought forth two horses.

-Hasufel! Arod! May these horses bear you to better fortune than the former masters. Farewell- Èomer mounts his horse -Look for your friends, but do not trust the hope. It has forsaken these lands. We ride north!

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli look on as the Riders depart but Arya walks a bit farther from them.

-Argent, could you come pick me up?
-I am on my way- he felt the rush of the wind as he flew nearer and reached the spot right above them.

He closed his wings into a sharp dive, his second eyelids closing to protect his eyes against the harsh air hitting him on his snout.

Legolas smiled and squinted his eyes as he watched the silver dragon's large body of muscles and scales landed creating a torrent of wind.

Argent raised a cloud of dust spooking the horses. Aragorn had to hold both animals down when the large dragon neared them. Argent greeted them with a short bow of his head and reached with his mind to the horses. The smart animals soon calmed down.

Arya stepped forward and smiled at her dragon partner. She stepped onto his back skilfully and waited for the other three to get onto their respective horses. Aragorn rode the chestnut while Gimli sat behind Legolas on the grey.
Argent ran besides the two horses so they could keep up with him.

They rode towards the smell of burning carcasses and could soon see the pile of dark bodies from the distance.

••••••••••

Gimli started to go through the pile and pulls out a charred belt.

-It's one of their wee belts- he cries.

Legolas bows his head and closes his eyes. Arya takes his hand in hers, his large one circling her easily. He looked at the woman who lowered her head in silence, her finger soft and slightly callused form fighting.

-Hiro hyn hîdh ab wanath (May they find peace in death)- he prayed for them.

Aragorn kicks at an orc helmet making it fall far from the pile. He yells as if physically injured as he falls to his knees.

-We failed them.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

767 48 24
The eagles in LOTR don't have much of a purpose besides appearing and saving the day, so this book brings a new race to Middle Earth that has more in...
Cursed By E.

Fanfiction

1.9K 72 18
Growing up, surrounded with mankind, Y/N figures she is just like them, until she finds out the truth of her kingdoms' past. Will her strength and a...
286K 7.9K 36
Farren and her brother Aragorn have wandered Middle Earth for the best part of a century, however with the discovery of the One Ring Farren is thrown...
7.8K 199 40
~Completed~ Forced into self-exile, Elfwyn, daughter of King Theoden and Princess of Rohan, sets out to find help for her failing kingdom. Drawn to R...