Betrayal of Wisteria ✓

By satiniV

After the murder of a classmate, speech-impaired Zhen Jie's one of the first suspects since she was the "last... More

TRIGGER WARNING
Copyright
Wisterious
Dedicated to:
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10

7

16 6 52
By satiniV

Zhen Jie stepped out of her apartment and locked the front door, taking in the scent of cinnamon buns that one of her neighbors was baking. Her stomach growled, not having Yi Zhao bring her something to eat.

Zhen Jie ignored her hunger and continued walking with a small smile on her face. She was happy she didn't have to worry about Wan Cui and her friends since they were being held in jail. The cops found the video footage of them beating Zhen Jie and taking her clothes, giving them more than enough reason to arrest them, but when they found the footage of them doing the same to Qi Qiao, they officially marked them as suspects for her rape and murder.

They weren't getting out any time soon.

Officer Gong had offered to take Zhen Jie to school like he normally did, but Zhen Jie declined. She said she'd rather walk because she was finally free and didn't have anyone to fear anymore.

Or at least that's what she thought.

Before she could get far from her front door, she was grabbed and dragged away. She was pulled into one of the abandoned apartments and shoved to the ground, shards of glass slicing into her knees. A rough kick pushed into her empty stomach, causing a jolt of pain to rush to her head. 

Qiu Fu, who was watching from a distance saw Zhen Jie get dragged away and immediately dropped his blunt. He pushed himself off of the tree he was leaning against and ran to the apartment she was taken to, slipping over trash occasionally.

Inside, Zhen Jie shook, staring wide-eyed at the person who stood in front of her. She couldn't tell who they were because of the mask they were wearing — but their eyes were familiar. Way too familiar, "You dumb bitch!" The person spat. "Why can't you keep your fucking mouth shut?"

"I—"

A harsh slap was sent across Zhen Jie's face with so much force her ears started ringing, "Shut up! You got my girlfriend arrested! You have to meddle in everything don't you?"

"Meddle?" Zhen Jie scoffed, finding her voice at the wrong time. She was tired of her attackers acting like she was at fault for their sick behavior. "I was dragged into this! They targeted me!"

The person in front of her pulled her off of the ground by her shirt and pinned her to the wall before pulling out a pocket knife and flicking it open, "Because your nosy ass was going to talk to that Officer." They gritted. "You need to tell me what you told them or I'll kill you."

Their breath was hot against Zhen Jie's skin, and she squirmed at the feeling. To say she was terrified would be an understatement. She was trembling in her spot out of fear, and no matter how many times she tried to still her body, she couldn't. The confidence she had mere seconds before when she stood up for herself was gone. She didn't know where it came from, and she couldn't find it anymore.

"Don't even try to lie like you didn't say anything," They continued. "Because they got my girlfriend, and it's just a matter of time before one of her friends crack and they're after me."

Zhen Jie opened her mouth to speak but was cut off, "You know, I never expected you to live somewhere so... ratty. I'd have been here sooner to get you to shut up. I could kill you and no one would say a thing." They laughed. "These poor bastards would keep their mouths shut for five dollars."

"So tell me before I kill you, what did you say?"

"I didn't! I promise!"

The masked offender pressed the blade to Zhen Jie's neck, hard enough to let her know they weren't joking around. The cold metal caused gooseflesh to rise from her skin and she could feel her skin break apart. Thick wine-colored blood oozed down, staining her crisp white shirt, "Tell me— or you know what?" They snickered before removing the knife."I could just kill your little boyfriend and leave you here to mourn him..."

"Who'd have known your impede ass could bag a man — let alone one of his stature."

"Don't touch him!" Zhen Jie begged, dropping to her knees. She clasped her hands together and looked up at them through her watery eyes, their figure nothing more than a blur. "I'll tell you but don't hurt him!"

The door was thrown open before she could say anything more. Qiu Fu ran to the masked person and shoved them away with so much force they slid across the room. He wanted to hit them, but decided it was best to get Zhen Jie out of there instead.

He grabbed her hand before running out with her in tow and back to her apartment. He grabbed her keys that had fallen to the ground when she was snatched and once inside, he locked the door.

Zhen Jie looked at him with terror in her eyes, not very comfortable being alone with a stranger. After everything that'd happened to her, she no longer wanted to be with anyone but Yi Zhao. He'd never hurt her.

"I'm Qiu Fu..."

Zhen Jie moved away from him, terrified of what was to come next. She recognized his name, and even though he was Yi Zhao's friend, Yi Zhao had told her Qiu Fu wasn't the nicest person.

She knew if Yi Zhao trusted him, so could she — but betrayal was far too common around her lately. She wanted Hou Wei to be there. Yi Zhao said Hou Wei never betray him. He never said the same for Qiu Fu.

"You can trust me, I swear." He assured her. "I wish I could take you with me — but Yi Zhao said cops are watching your house and since the investigation is still going anyway, you leaving wouldn't be the best idea." He sighed. "They're not out there right now since you're supposed to be on your way to school, but they'll be here later on."

"I'm going to trail you to school after you clean up that blood.

"But—"

"They'll come here if you don't go... and you can't even be as close to me as you were with Yi Zhao." He cut her off, slipping his fingers through his hair in a panicked manner. "After school, I'll be out there making sure no one tries to come in and hurt you." Qiu Fu pulled the curtains open and pointed out towards the wooded area. "Next time, let the officer take you to school. You only have a few days of school left anyway."

"I heard those girls were arrested... but I know them." A scoff flew past his lips as he spoke on Wan Cui and her friends. "They have connections and even when they're away, their friends are not. You won't even be safe when the investigations are over — but you and Yi Zhao will be out of here when it's over as long as you trust me." His eyes were pleading, as was his voice. He really wanted and needed Zhen Jie's trust, but she was just as stubborn as Yi Zhao when she stood rooted in place with her arms crossed over her chest.

"I wouldn't hurt you. Yi Zhao loves you so I do too." Qiu Fu promised. "I know he's probably told you that I'm not a nice person, and I'm not, but I also wouldn't hurt someone for no reason." He proceeded to try to gain her trust. Her arms loosened and threatened to drop, but there was still a lingering doubt in her stance. "Just trust me, little one. Yi Zhao's trusting me with you, but I can't help you if you don't let me."

Qiu Fu could see she was hesitant with him. He needed her to trust him, and he knew that Yi Zhao had told her something to give her a reason not to.

He didn't blame Yi Zhao, though. If Yi Zhao warned her of him, it was because of his attitude and rude way of saying things, but not because he'd harm her or let anyone else. 

"Look," Qiu Fu said while pulling out a blue beaded bracelet. Two letters were lined in the middle, separated by a single sapphire charm. "He told me to give you your bracelet. He's still wearing his."

After school, Zhen Jie called Officer Gong to pick her up from the school's phone. When he picked her up, he asked her if everything was alright and she lied. She wanted to tell him about whoever attacked her before school — but she'd already told enough.

The last thing she wanted was for the news to tell the entire country they were looking for a masked criminal and never catch them. That'd only make the person even more upset and they'd come after Zhen Jie again.

Officer Gong treated Zhen Jie to dinner and smiled as he watched her eat. She'd come a long way. She was healthy, spoke better, and even though she wasn't one hundred percent happy — she was better, "Is it good?" He asked. When she nodded, he offered to bring her back the next day and she nodded again, feverishly. It was her first time having true Italian pasta and she loved it.

After being dropped off at home, Zhen Jie could see Qiu Fu watching from a distance. He was hard to make out from afar, but since he'd previously told her where he'd be, she could easily spot him. She felt a wave of relief wash over her, feeling a bit uneasy at home alone after what happened earlier.

Although she was skeptical about him at first, Qiu Fu gained her trust. The way he spoke to her softly and kept his distance like he was scared of making her uncomfortable told her everything she needed to know.

He was far from a bad guy. He might've been rude like Yi Zhao insinuated — but she could tell he'd never hurt a fly. He was tough, but he was not a monster.

Zhen Jie entered her apartment with a mild scowl on her face. The first thing she did was look for something to eat in the pantry even though she knew it was depressingly scarce. She'd been staying with Yi Zhao who spoiled her with food everyday, she didn't need to go home and replenish anything.

She was hungry when Yi Zhao wasn't around, and it was probably because of how sad she was. She didn't know food was her coping mechanism with pain because she never had food before, but now that she knew what an actual meal was, she did. She just wanted to eat her sorrows away until Yi Zhao came back.

She wished she could stay at Yi Zhao's home while he was gone but she didn't want the police to know where he lived. Even though he was cleared as a suspect in Qi Qiao's murder, they still wanted him for his other crimes and Zhen Jie wasn't going to let them get him.

She loved him too much to let that happen.

Zhen Jie shut the pantry door and rubbed her stomach as it growled. If Yi Zhao was there, she wouldn't have been hungry. He would have bought her a new flavor of bread for breakfast, packed her a lunch, and after school he'd give her cuddles until she was ready for dinner.

She went to her room and cracked open the book she and Yi Zhao had started months ago, Wolf Totem. She missed him so much and found herself crying while reading it. It was a bit too complex for her and he wasn't there to help her read it and explain things to her.

Yi Zhao was so smart. Zhen Jie didn't expect him to have much knowledge seeing as he'd been out of school for almost eight years. He struck her as a handy kind of guy. One who builds and repairs things, and while he was that kind of guy, he was also very book smart as well.

He'd taught her so much more in the few months he knew her than her former tutors taught her in years and she would always be grateful for that, "God, please bring him back," She sobbed, dropping the book. "I miss him so much... let him come back."

Being so forlorn her entire childhood caused her to stick like glue to the first person who showed they cared. Officer Gong was initially the first, but she spent more time with Yi Zhao and grew attached to him instead.

Mo Chen, on the other hand, was just a friend. Of course, she showed that she cared about Zhen Jie's well-being, but she wasn't nearly as hands-on as Yi Zhao or Officer Gong.

She always noticed how underweight Zhen Jie was — and she'd worry about her — but she never thought to share her food with her. She'd point out things Zhen Jie said that were wrong, but she rarely felt like correcting her.

A knock on the front door interrupted Zhen Jie from her thoughts, making her wipe her face and stand up swiftly. Her nerves jumbled together as she wondered who was at the door. Was Wan Cui out and ready to seek revenge? Was it the person that attacked her that morning?

But... it could be Yi Zhao...

"It's me!" Someone mumbled through the door.

It was Qiu Fu.

Zhen Jie opened the door and Qiu Fu hurriedly slipped through the door. He held a bag of fresh-baked bread in one hand and to-go boxes in the other. He handed the bread to Zhen Jie after catching her eye it and made himself comfortable on the couch while sorting the food.

Zhen Jie was still by the door, quickly opening the bag with bread. Coconut to be exact. The aroma captivated Zhen Jie the moment she opened the door and she was glad Qiu Fu gave it to her.

"So, you live here alone?" Zhen Jie nodded while stuffing the bread into her mouth and walking towards the couch. The bread was warm and fluffy, the toasted coconut flakes on top giving it a satisfying crunch. "Well, when you and Little Zhao move away you won't be alone anymore."

"I miss him. Is he okay?" Zhen Jie pouted as Qiu Fu took the bag of bread away from her and motioned towards the food before she could take another piece. She plopped on the couch and her mood lightened at the delicious food that sat before her.

"Yi Zhao said not to let you fill up on sweets." Qiu Fu said firmly. "And he's perfectly fine. He misses you a lot — but other than that he's okay." He smiled. "He's always calling when I'm outside watching your apartment, making sure I'm doing my job. He's become really jittery and paranoid since he's been without you."

"What about Berry?"

"The little frog's fine too. Zhao made me bring him to my place. He's a pretty chill dude... Doesn't really say much."

"Yes, Yi Zhao is chill."

"I meant the frog."

"What?" Zhen Jie laughed. Qiu Fu liked her laugh. It was adorable and reminded him of his sister. They shared a laugh that was void of any kind of hardship. It was soft and warming — lacking any sign of sadness, even when their life was full of it. It was a genuine laugh that pushed away any problems that may have been going on in their life — because, at that moment, they just wanted to laugh.

Qiu Fu knew he had to protect Zhen Jie at that moment. For the sake of his best friend and for the sake of the girl that sat beside him. She was too pure and the world was undeserving of a soul as gentle as hers.

He failed at saving his sister and he wasn't going to do the same to Zhen Jie. He had to keep her safe so she could get away with Yi Zhao before her mind was fully corrupted.

He had to.

"The other friend... Hou Wei... where is he?" Zhen Jie asked, pulling Qiu Fu away from his thoughts.

"Wei's been missing since Zhao came to my place. If I'm being honest, I think he got busted for drugs. He was on his way to sell some when he left and there was a bust immediately after."

"I hope he is okay then, I guess."

"He'll be fine. Cops love the guy." Qiu Fu shrugged. "He's never been in jail for longer than a week."

Different day, same routine.

All week, Officer Gong took Zhen Jie to school, brought her home, and she'd eat the dinner and warm bread Yi Zhao forced Qiu Fu to buy for her. She grew fond of the baked delicacy since meeting Yi Zhao, and if she wasn't so in love with him, she'd marry the bread.

She got a new flavor each time. So far, her favorite was cinnamon raisin bread. She loved anything with cinnamon so it was no surprise that it was her favorite.

Zhen Jie sat in her kitchen staring out of the window above the sink after Qiu Fu left. The crying sky always hooked her. It brought her peace and soothed her when the world was spitting hellfire at her, scorching her skin and permanently burning her sanity.

It was a heavy storm that destroyed anything in its path. The flower beds that the old ladies next door planted were flooded, the chalk from the smaller children that ran around washed away, and the wind — the wind held not even an ounce of mercy.

Folding chairs were strung along the area, forgotten toys were lonely, and stray animals who tried to scurry to shelter were being slowed down.

One animal caught Zhen Jie's eye though.

A cat laid in the middle of the sludge unable to move. Zhen Jie gasped loudly when she saw it and didn't think twice before sprinting out of her apartment and running to get it. It looked pregnant and hurt. Its white fur was covered in mud and blood.

The rain soaked Zhen Jie's entire body when she reached the cat after almost five minutes of being pushed back by the wind. She was grateful for the hair clips Yi Zhao bought her, or else her hair would be in her face. It'd still be a hassle to wash though, despite the clips holding it back. It tangled like crazy when wet.

Before Zhen Jie could pick up the cat, she was shoved into the mud and the cat was jerked up from the ground, letting out a loud cry of pain, "Pathetic," A familiar voice scoffed. "Did you think you were getting a cat?"

Zhen Jie looked up and made eye contact with the pair of eyes she recognized instantly. The person who'd attacked her earlier that week — and that she could've sworn she'd seen before then as well.

"Who are you?" Zhen Jie asked.

The masked assaulter laughed and shook their head, "You know who I am," They said. "Well, you don't know me... but I surely know you."

"You're better off leaving here. Go back to where you came from and stay the hell out of my way." They spat before kicking her, shoving her face into the mire. "You hear me? Go back to where you came from! Get out of China and never come back! We don't want you here!"

"Tell me, are you going to leave and never come back?"

With each word, they sent a kick to Zhen Jie's body, tugged her hair, and pushed her further into the mud.

They shoved the cat into the ground beside Zhen Jie and pulled out a knife, "Say something, whore!" When Zhen Jie didn't say anything, they rammed the knife into the cat. Zhen Jie's cries and begs to leave the cat alone mixed with the cat's hisses and screeches for help.

When the cat stopped moving and making noise, its bloody carcass was ripped apart in front of Zhen Jie. The evil, sorry excuse for a human being that stood over Zhen Jie took the cat's organs out and held them over Zhen Jie's mouth, "Answer me or I'll shove it down your throat."

"I'm here! I'm from here!" Zhen Jie yelled. She was so terrified, she'd returned to her old speaking ways.

The cat's insides were pushed into Zhen Jie's mouth. She gagged but her mouth was held shut by the person holding her, "Chew it and swallow it."

"Mmhhph!" Zhen Jie shook her head "no" and tried to pry her mouth open.

The person grabbed her hair and pulled her towards their face. They pressed their thumb in the middle of Zhen Jie's throat roughly, "Swallow!"

Zhen Jie couldn't resist anymore. She hurriedly chewed and swallowed the organs that were in her mouth and was dropped to the ground, "You're sick!" She screamed.

"Oh? So you grew balls, huh? How about you suck some, then." The person over her picked up the rest of the cat's dead body and tossed it into the woods.

A group of boys came from around the corner and began to undo their pants. Zhen Jie's eyes widened as she pleaded to her attacker.

"Stand back for a second, guys," They smiled. The guys groaned and fixed their pants before stepping back. "My dear Little Zhen, I have a question."

They kneeled in front of the frail girl and caressed her hair, "Ask question. Yes, you can ask."

They drew her hand back ready to smack Zhen Jie, "Talk correctly! I wasn't asking if I could ask you a question."

"I'm sorry."

"Now, where are you from Little Zhen?"

"Here. I am from here."

Their grip on Zhen Jie's hair tightened as they shook her, "Wrong answer!"

"I am from here. I am from China... here!" Zhen Jie repeated, confused on why she was being told she wasn't from someone she didn't even know. She was born in China. She was raised in China. She was from China.

"Your mother was a slut," The disguised assailant laughed. "Look at you. You say you're from China?" They loosened their hold on Zhen Jie's hair and caressed it lightly before ripping the hair clips from it, taking strands of hair with it, "Perhaps you were left in the sun too long," They cooed. "Poor thing."

"What?"

"Or maybe you're mother was a slut and cheated on your father. Tsk, tsk, tsk, and look at this hair. I can't even run my fingers through it... You're not from China."

"I'm from here. I am from China."

"Stop saying that!" They yelled while slapping Zhen Jie across the face, leaving another bruise on her already decorated skin. "You can't be from China when you look like that! You're a thug just like the rest of your kind and I'm doing everyone a favor by knocking sense into you!"

"Maybe I'll have them fuck some sense into you."

"What? Please... what do you mean?"

Zhen Jie didn't know what they were talking about, but she knew she wouldn't enjoy what was to come.

"Have at it, guys. She's a free, dirty whore like her slut of a mother. I heard that bitch couldn't even talk just like her daughter."

Zhen Jie begged for them to spare her after they walked away. They smiled before turning the corner, leaving the men to do as they pleased. The men stared at Zhen Jie as if she was a piece of meat thrown on the ground. She avoided looking at them, hoping they had a little bit of sympathy and leave her alone.

Her dream was shattered when she was grabbed and her clothes were ripped away from her skin. One by one, each of the four men had their way with her, laughing at her cries and hitting her when she'd try to get away.

The last thing she remembered was a guy with a head of silver hair making his way to her, drawing his fist back, and successfully knocking her out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 139 36
𝗔𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿𝘀 ↬ she's your basic, molded into the background, type girl. She does everything she can to stay unseen. The only people she...
7.5K 717 58
An internal voice told me to "call him," but I chose not to. I dismissed it once more, saying, "He never liked me anyway." I am stuck in my dilemma...
298K 9K 33
CRINGE WARNING! First book I ever wrote on here!! -- "Sometimes the person who you are willing to take a bullet for is the person behind the gun." I...
3.5K 166 16
✦Wonwoo takes his own life, and in an attempt to discover why, Junhui learns all that his best friend and man of his dreams was hiding, from his secr...