A Court of Wings and Fate

Od LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... Více

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

51. Facing Ridicule

904 48 18
Od LeeraIvy

Mikael made good on his promise. Estelle had only just finished bathing and returned to the bedroom, when he pulled her onto his lap and shielded the room. He'd assured her that everyone else was already asleep. He had checked, and she could be as loud as she wanted. No sounds were getting through his shield.

Estelle had been loud. Mikael took his time with her, and she both loved and hated him for it. He'd kissed and fingered her until she came. He lay burning kisses on her jaw, neck, and throat. When her towel slipped off, he let his touches fall lower, licking, kissing, and teasing the most sensitive areas on her chest. She had taken great pleasure in marking his neck and shoulders with kisses and small nips of her own.

When she'd tried to stand, Mikael had merely pulled her back down, promising that he wasn't yet finished. She'd unlaced his pants. He'd spread her legs wider, pulled her closer to his chest, and slid into her without even a pinch of discomfort.

He had known exactly what to do. He knew the right angles to go in at, the right spots to hit, and how long to linger there. Estelle had barely been able to breath amidst all of her gasping moans. Her skin tingled at the sound of Mikael's. Mikael had worked until she climaxed again, and she made sure he finished as well. Needless to say, Estelle had marked the experience as one of the best she'd ever had.

◦═══✦═══◦

"What are you thinking about, Batsy?" Mikael asked, helping her stretch her wings.

Estelle merely smiled. "Only good things."

"Hm. How does this feel?" He lifted her wings higher as she kept them extended.

"Good. It doesn't hurt. It's been two weeks now. I should be able to fly with you to the Dawn Court soon, unless Madja has changed her mind."

Despite Madja's warnings, Estelle had been practicing her flying for the past few days. It had helped loosen up her wings and lessen the lingering soreness. She was determined to fly to the Dawn Court when Mikael chose to return home. He'd stayed again when the latest exchange took place. Nyx, Corbin, and Lysander had all gone along at Devlon's behest.

A knock sounded on the door. "It's open," Estelle called. She stretched her wings again and Mikael carefully aided her.

The door opened, revealing Azriel. His gaze flickered between the two of them. Mikael held it, not pulling his hands away from Estelle's wings. Her shadows coiled around him protectively.

"Devlon, Rhys, and I were trying to come up with ways to keep Ze'ev away from you," Azriel began. "We had a few ideas, but when we went to find him, we discovered that he was gone. He wasn't sent with the exchange group and according to multiple people, he hasn't been in Windhaven for weeks. The last time anyone saw him was when your mother and I went to Windhaven to deal with some problems he'd been causing."

"You mean, he disappeared after Estelle was nearly killed?" Mikael growled. "That seems a little suspicious."

"It does," Azriel agreed. "We're going to keep an eye out for him, but there's no guarantee that we'll find him. Be on your guard. I don't want that male near you ever again, Little Bat."

"I'll be careful, Dad," Estelle promised.

"Madja is going to come check on you soon. If she clears you today, you'll be able to go to the Dawn Court." Azriel glanced at Mikael again, then ducked out the door.

"I think he might actually be warming up to me," Mikael chuckled. "He doesn't look at me like he's already envisioning my death anymore. He might just be masking his feelings, of course."

"It's still progress," Estelle laughed. "I think I should go see Venelia. She might be lonely now that Nyx is gone."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"If you like." Estelle folded her wings in and strapped Aesira and Znaniya to her hips. She secured her siphons atop her hands before leaving the room. Mikael followed close behind after grabbing Alethea.

The air outside felt slightly warmer than it had before. There was no snow on the ground, but puddles were still frozen into patches of ice. Winter was gradually coming to a close. Spring would be there soon, and that meant the Illyrian Blood Rite would begin. Estelle still hadn't been told if she could expect to participate in it or not. Rhys and Devlon promised to discuss it, but that was the only answer she was given.

Mikael laced his fingers with hers as they crossed a bridge onto the other bank of the Sidra. They reached the gates of the river estate and stepped onto the grounds. Estelle led Mikael into the manor. Voices came from down the hall, Seren's among them.

Estelle neared the sitting room and glanced inside. Evren Vanserra was there, along with Feyre, Seren, and Venelia. Feyre beckoned them in, having caught sight of them. Estelle's gaze fell to the small bundle in Evren's arms.

"May I?" Estelle asked.

Evren nodded and settled the baby in her arms. Estelle straightened, studying the tiny male curiously. He had pointed ears, despite being half Human. His thin hair was already a rich shade of auburn, like Eris'. Estelle wondered if he would grow up to have his mother's sea green eyes or the golden amber of his father's.

Mikael rested his hand on her shoulder, looking at the baby too. A ripple of emotion crossed the Bond. Estelle returned Castiel to Evren. Maybe we'll have one of our own someday, she said to Mikael. He smiled as she faced the other females.

"I came to see if Venelia needed some company," Estelle said.

Venelia gave a happy nod. "I would love some." She rose, linking her arm through Estelle's. "Congratulations, Evren. Your son is beautiful. You and Eris must be very proud."

"We are," Evren replied. "And thank you." Estelle and Venelia breezed out of the room, Mikael trailing in their wake.

◦═══✦═══◦

Two days passed before Estelle was cleared for flying, but Madja was very adamant that she not fly the entire distance to the Dawn Court. Estelle had decided that she would use the shadows to take them there. When Mikael pointed out that they could stay in the Night Court a little longer if she wanted to, she reminded him that his fathers hadn't seen him in over a month, and it was time to fix that.

Mikael packed his bag without another questioning word. Truthfully, he was glad to be going back home. He had missed his fathers and the Dawn Court. He was eager to have Estelle to himself more often too. There was a burning heat in his veins that he hadn't been able to staunch since she'd climaxed on his lap.

Mikael slung his satchel over his shoulder and helped Estelle with hers. She gave him a grateful smile as they left the bedroom. Azriel and Seren were waiting by the front door when they arrived. Estelle hugged her parents tightly. Seren gave Mikael a hug as well, and Azriel barely inclined his head.

"We'll see you the next time you're in Windhaven," Seren promised as they left the house. Estelle took Mikael's hand and shadows swirled around them.

When they faded, they were standing on a veranda outside of the opalescent Palace. Mikael closed his eyes, breathing a contented sigh. "Come on, Feathers," Estelle urged. "We have things to do."

Mikael chuckled and let her pull him into the Palace. He took the lead once they were inside. He thought he could guess where Thesan might be. It was possible that Ameer was still at the training grounds, so they would find him later. Mikael pushed open the library doors, startling Thesan, who was reading near a fireplace.

Thesan leaped to his feet, a smile crossing his lips. "Mikael!" He ran across the room and hugged him tightly. "You didn't say you were coming back! It's so good to see you." Thesan smoothed hair from Mikael's face.

He turned to Estelle. "And I'm so happy to see you looking well." Thesan hugged Estelle too. "Are you feeling all right?"

"Much better," Estelle replied. "I'm sorry to have kept Mikael away from home for so long."

Thesan waved a dismissive hand. "I'm glad he was with you. If he had been here, it would have been disastrous."

"Where's Father?" Mikael asked.

"Still at the training grounds. He'll be happy to see you. Are you staying here or at the grounds?"

Mikael glanced at Estelle. "Maybe a little of both?" She suggested, her cheeks turning slightly pink.

Thesan smiled knowingly. "All right. I'm sure I'll see you again later. Go find Ameer."

"Yes, Father," Mikael replied with a laugh. He and Estelle left the Palace once more. "Do you want to take us there or do you feel up to flying?"

"Let's fly. I need to stretch my wings," Estelle replied. She spread them out fully and leaped off the side of a bridge. Mikael followed suit, diving after her.

Estelle looped through the air, laughing with delight. Shadows billowed around her and Umbra tightened on Mikael's arm. He smiled, watching his mate fly. It was good to see her back to her old self. His heart swelled with affection and he let it cross the Bond.

I love you, he said.

Estelle looked back over her shoulder. I love you, she echoed.

They reached the training grounds all too soon. Estelle landed somewhat unsteadily. Mikael braced his hand on her back, keeping her upright. They took off through the grounds. The training rings were full and other Peregryns and Illyrians wandered around through the streets between cottages.

"Well, look who's back," a familiar voice scoffed behind them. Mikael bristled, catching sight of Ronan. There was a cold gleam in the male's gold eyes. "You know, I had heard rumors that you were mates, but I didn't actually believe them until now."

Estelle gripped Mikael's arm as he bristled, angry instincts flaring. "Keep walking, Ronan," he growled.

"Your people already don't accept you," Ronan spat. "Do you think they'll accept you now that you have an Illyrian half breed as your mate? It is fitting, I suppose. A half breed bitch for a half breed bastard."

Mikael lunged at Ronan with a snarl. He tackled the male to the ground, power flooding his veins. He wrapped his hands around Ronan's throat, slamming his head down. "Don't you dare talk about her like that!"

"And what if I do?" Ronan rasped. "She is a bitch. She's not even a real warrior, just like you." Mikael tightened his grip and Ronan gagged. "Kill me," he taunted, "and see what happens to you. You aren't above our laws just because you're Thesan's son."

"Mikael," Estelle called. Her voice managed to cut through the angry thoughts in his head. Mikael somehow pried his hands away from Ronan and let him up.

Ronan rubbed his throat, laughing dryly. "That's right, Bastard Lordling. Listen to your whore. She might not let you fuck her if you don't. You'd have to settle for dick then, just like your fathers."

Blinding fury swept over Mikael. He was going to kill this male. Magic snapped to life at his fingertips. Ronan had insulted his fathers one too many times. He had insulted Estelle.

Ronan's eyes widened in fear as Mikael's magic grabbed hold of him. He forced the Peregryn to come closer, angry golden light spilling from his skin. Mikael grabbed Ronan by the throat and lifted him. "Insult me all you like. Disrespect me. Call me names. But if I ever hear you say one more bad word about my fathers... One more bad word about MY MATE, I will snap your neck," Mikael snarled.

"You have never killed anyone," Ronan choked.

"That will change." Mikael threw Ronan on the ground and stormed away. Estelle ran after him.

"Mikael!" She called. He didn't stop. "Mikael!" Estelle grabbed his arm and pulled him back. She cupped his face in her hands. "His words can't hurt us."

"They can. Someday, they will." Mikael squeezed his eyes shut. "If my people can't accept me now, they will never accept me as High Lord."

"Ronan is just one out of thousands of people."

"He's not the only one who thinks like that!" Mikael exclaimed. "Do you know how many times my father has been openly ridiculed because of me? How many times people have dragged his name through the mud because his heir is a bastard? A half breed? I have spent every day of my life fighting to prove that I'm worthy of their respect. I'm worthy of my fathers' love. I'm worthy of this Court. It's never enough. It is never fucking enough! I am not enough!"

Estelle pulled him into a tight embrace, stroking his hair and the Bond soothingly. "You are enough. You are. Your fathers think so. I think so. Your friends think so. Ronan doesn't know what he's talking about."

"Yes, he does. They're never going to believe in me if they don't see how dedicated I am to this Court and my people." Mikael stiffened, an idea forming in his mind. "There's only one way I can think of to prove it."

"How?"

"The Rite. I need to complete the Rite."

"You don't have permission," Estelle pointed out.

"I'm not going to ask." Mikael narrowed his eyes. "I don't need to be told that I'm ready. I know I am."

Estelle searched his gaze, then nodded. "All right, but I'm coming with you." Mikael shook his head. She flashed her wrist, showing the tattoo of a rising sun, crested by three stars. "We made a bargain. We would help each other prepare for our Rites. I am going to help you see yours through. You are my mate. I won't let you do this alone."

"Estelle..."

"These people will be my people too, Mikael. They need to see that we are both dedicated to them and this Court. I'm doing this with you. Don't try to stop me."

Mikael brushed his thumb over her cheek. "All right." He kissed her softly. "We'll start tomorrow night. Be ready."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

362K 11.1K 63
Daemati are feared and coveted throughout Prythian. Seren Marzena is one of the few among their ranks. When her power is revealed to Beron Vanserra...
911K 38.3K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
86.2K 3.3K 50
For many years, Evren Bastile has been a notorious Human assassin, known for killing High Fae. She has been honing her skills for one High Fae in par...
126K 3.7K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...