Lone Werewolf Duology (bxb)

By DomiSotto

||BOOK 1 of THE WALKWE|| Assassins' Creed with Werewolves || for content review purposes please, note that w... More

Readers Appreciation Page
1. The Boy with a Strange Name
Russian Names, Moodboards and Character Art
2. Food for Thought
3. Not Nothing
4. He Who Speaks in Tongues
5. His Mother's Secret
6. Hot Child in the City
7. Lingering Scent
8. Together, Apart
9. Sleepless in Montana
10. And When She Was Good
11. It Was All Lydia's Fault
12. Breakfast with the Mad Geniuses
13. The Alpha Bloodline
14. Aha Moment
15. The Same River
16. Before He Was Famous
17. The Evils of Technology
18. What Doesn't Kill You
19. Full Monty
20. The Music Teacher
21. The Howl
22. Toxic
23. The Pink Cottage
24. The Story with a Curse
25. Liam's Hope
26. Wood for the Trees
27. Don't Forget Me While I'm Gone
28. The Soulmate
29. The Kiss
30. The Will and the Way
31. Strong Tea
32. The First Vision of the Past
33. His Place of Power
34. That Stupid Song
35. The Arrival
36. The Base Camp
37. Not a Shaman
38. The Taste of Success
39. True Wolf
40. The Lineage Theory
41. The Lullaby
42. Magic in His Blood
43. The Mighty Oak
44. Don't Tell Anyone
45. The Raid
46. The Wolf Attacks
47. The Horse Pursuits
48. For Luck
49. Akrum the Sacrificed
50. Led Astray
51. The Werewolf Awakens
52. The Sweetest Sorrow
53. Good News
54. Bad News (Mentions of Family Violence)
55. Grinding Shards into Dust
56. The Rapture
57. Hangover after Victory
58. Lone Werewolf
59. The Right Words
Bonus Chapter: The Alpha
BOOK 2: The Centaur's Tomb
1. While the Candle Burns
2. The Rabbit in the Room
3. Up in the Air
4. The Citadel of Knowledge
5. To the Carriage
6. Glyph of Hope
7. Family Reunion
8. The Crones
9. Sight and Memory
10. By the Cairns of the Lost
11. Sibling Rivalry
12. Dealing in Dreams
13. Mother of the Year
14. The Mountain
15. Spears vs Wings
16. Dangerous Quest
17. The Will and Hope of the Wolves
18. On the Scent
19. Scholastic Integrity
21. More Visitors
22. Breathless
23. The Lovers' Quarrel
24. Volya's Promise
25. Nothing to It
26. The Centaurs' Tomb
27. The Bones of Contention
28. The Contrary Hearts
29. There Ain't No Mountain High Enough
What Happened to the Dissident Alpha?

20. The Shadow's Name

53 11 31
By DomiSotto

Kramola wasn't kidding when she promised to patrol the approaches. Her sentinels came running into the dig site with a report that Damir was returning four days later. Returning, after that speech! Returning, when Volya's four preceding days were filled with trial and error, hard manual labor and grudging bonding. Returning! That was rich...

Damir didn't wear a sheepish grin Volya had hoped to see. The guy surveyed the piles of dirt. Then his gaze traveled to the wide trench with shallow slopes that now went all the way to the rock wall. His face preserved his customary expression. Meaning, no expression. Despite the lack of accolades, Volya's chest swelled with pride. Nobody got trapped. Nobody died. They had a couple of close calls, but Damir didn't need to know that.

He was about to transform back to his human form and ask if he should send a search party for Damir's integrity, but Damir pre-emptied the quip with an unexpected move. He dropped his pack and rummaged through it like some vintage Disney cartoon character looking for a toy gavel or whatever.

What, not even, Sorry, I got you all worked up over nothing?

Apparently not, the mist-wolf said in such a way that Volya imagined his shaggy head tilt to one side. His moonlight-filled eyes would be set on Damir. Instinctively, Volya imitated his wolf's pose, and he was not alone.

Damir's activity was so frantic, that everyone dropped their buckets, shovels and picks to circle the prodigal archeologist. Scowls scrunched the faces. A snarl erupted from the back, then another one. He was more concerned than angry when Damir, still staunchly silent, armed himself with a toothbrush. The thing had definitely seen better days.

Okay, weird that dental hygiene was at the forefront of his mind in this specific situation, but okay...

However, that wasn't all.

Damir's other hand groped inside his pack for another thirty seconds or so, to emerge with a baby-enema in the size and shape of a large pear.

Instead of, You seem awfully sure we want you back, Volya squawked, "What on Earth—"

Crap, he was human now. Definitely human, because the sound that emerged from his throat wasn't a snarl. It was more than a little bit disturbing that he hadn't consciously initiated the transformation. He wanted to speak, so he had just... transformed. But right now, Damir was far more worrisome.

The guy regaled Volya, then the assembled Walkwe, with a wan smile. Shadows around his eyes were darkened by insomnia. That uncharacteristic smile, plus how Damir held the toothbrush and enema—as if he were a tzar and sovereign of all the Russia holding his scepter and orb—knitted Volya's brows tighter together.

"There is a glyph by the cave's entrance," Damir said.

"Aha," Volya replied. Aha wasn't a fitting tribute to the beauty of Russian language, but he was giving his 110% to pretending that he had an inkling of what was going on.

Damir wormed his way through the trench to the wall and put his weird toolset to use. Just a few brushstrokes and gentle pumps on the enema later, Volya spotted the emerging spiral on the stone.

"You gotta be kidding... the super-senses... the instinct..." Volya babbled.

Damir leaned a bit back to observe the results of his labors. "It doesn't take gods to fire pots," he said with some satisfaction. "Maybe I can't find a single cave in the hectares of ragged landscape, but some things... some things I have an eye for."

Volya's hackles raised as if Damir had just questioned his manhood. "No wonder we've missed it! We worried about a million things. Without our subject matter expert, I must add."

He pointed at the mortarless stonework plugging the cave's entrance. Centuries of fine dust, wind-blown and from run-off, seeped into every crack. The movements of the mountain during the eruption further compressed and cemented it in place. "All I could think about was how we're going to break through. Studying the walls wasn't exactly a priority."

Damir whistled under his nose. The archeologists obviously didn't forget to keep their eyes peeled no matter how hard it got. "Let's see what else we could discover."

A shadow appeared out of nowhere, walked through Damir and started chiseling the symbol.

Volya's jaw hung open. He didn't even close his eyes! His vision just twined into the present and ancient past.

"There is—" He cleared his throat. "Damir, there's a square beneath the spiral."

Damir ceased his whistling at once.

"I see the centaur who carved the runes into the stone." More shadows flickered in and out of existence like an overlay. They were out of focus, slipping in and out of his field of vision. Some had an annoying penchant for sitting at the very edges of it, making it all too easy to lose them in the vibrancy of the present day.

Volya focused so hard the bones in his skull creaked.

"She was here. The girl who did it." His throat turned to parchment paper. The parchment paper after the cook drew the tray out of the oven, so dry, it crumbled at the faintest touch. He sounded like a ghost communing with the living from the nether.

"Who do you see, brother?" Nadezhda asked, lifting her hand in a gesture demanding silence.

The waterfall willfully disobeyed. Everyone else didn't look like they were going to talk anyway. But, hey, something pleasantly tickled in his chest when Nadezhda called all the attention to him.

"It's fragmented. I see the centaurs placing their dead in the cave. Coming back as if they were... I dunno... visiting the bones? Can you visit the bones?"

Damir nodded. "Yes, that makes sense. It's a ritualistic practice associated with ancestral worship."

"They are bringing more of their dead to place in the tomb."

Damir nodded again.

"The only child turned into a young woman now. It's Ushpi's daughter." Volya stumbled, then went on describing what he saw to the Walkwe and Damir.

Her shadow aged every time she reappeared at the wall. Fewer accompanied her. More remained behind in the tomb. Finally, she was all alone, visiting the bones of everyone in the world who had been like her. Volya saw her carrying the stones. Carving the symbols again. Disappearing for so long, he had thought that the vision had ended.

His audience fidgeted after his silence stretched.

"Wait!"

The heads, human and werewolf, whipped to him. Eyes burned with anticipation.

Ushpi's daughter's shadow came back and sat by the entrance.

His voice quivered and he could do zilch about it. "She came here for the last time, years later after abandoning the place. She was the miracle and the bitter reminder of their failure. She had died right here."

He pointed weakly at the gateway. "Ushpi's daughter. For some reason, I had never dreamt about her."

No conduit. Not of our blood, the mist-wolf whispered.

"Ushpi's daughter," Volya repeated, brushing off his invisible friend's explanation. "I don't even know her name."

You never will. There's no way.

Where there is will, there is a way. Liam had taught him that.

Stubbornly, Volya clung to his belief that the others, the Yamnaya descendants, or even those not related to either Walkwe or Yamnaya, had magic in their blood too. That there was a way to reach them. Bond with them. Make peace.

Damir dropped his toothbrush. "We... we often name the remains that we study, even fragmented bones, if we don't have the individual's name from the written sources."

Volya slowly lifted his head to meet Damir's glance. "I think I would like to do that."

There was only one name that was fitting. The name that belonged to someone else who experienced the profound loneliness of being the only one of her kind. Someone who couldn't even guess why such fate had befallen her.

"Anabelle," Volya said. "I name her Anabelle."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 18.2K 43
When an injured Wolf shows up on his doorstep, half dead and desperate for protection, gentle giant Monty naturally wants to help. Unfortunately, the...
117K 5K 44
"He can die 'cause we haven't had sex?" I say as the weight of what she's just told me hits me like a ton of bricks. "The longer the Alpha stays in t...
12.4K 610 37
Ritsu Onodera, the first ever to be a half. Half Unknown, half vampire. He was locked away by his parents to protect him. Until one night, it tu...
9.6K 229 15
Wolf walkers, people who could take to form of a wolf, but kept their human minds. Some say they have magic on their side, but magic made them mad, m...