How Merlin Should Have Ended

By AngelaLott9

What if Merlin gave Arthur different advice and in turn Arthur made a different choice in S5E5: The Disir. Ma... More

The Reveal
The Tower
The Friendship
The Story
The Understanding
The Summoning
The Curing
The Supplies
The Visit
The Result
The Trial
The Restless
The Prophecy
The Waiting
The Attack
The End
The Recovery
The Change
The Future

The Disir

774 12 18
By AngelaLott9

"What will you do?" Merlin asked. He was sitting on the ground across from Arthur, a fire in between them.

"I don't know," Arthur replied. Merlin could hardly blame him. Even he wasn't sure of the answer. "My heart says do anything I can to save Mordred, but I've seen what misery unfettered sorcery brings. Before my father outlawed magic, Camelot was almost destroyed by sorcery. In my own time Morgana has used it for nothing but evil. What would you do in my place?"

"Me?" Merlin asked. He'd hoped Arthur wouldn't want his opinion on such a matter. His own mind was so conflicted, he hardly felt able to give an answer. "I'm just a lackey, maker of beds."

"Lackeys can be wise," Arthur replied, but Merlin didn't speak.

On the one hand he had to protect Arthur from the prophecy and Mordred no matter what, but on the other wasn't it part of their destiny to bring magic back to the land?

"It's not like you to be silent," Arthur commented.

"The Kingdom's future is at stake," Merlin said softly. In some ways he was used to having everything at stake, having the fate of everyone around him on his shoulders, but even so this felt different. It was bigger somehow. If he made the wrong choice here it could mean the end of everything he'd worked towards.

"And a man's life," Arthur added, meaning Mordred, but Merlin couldn't bring himself to care much about Mordred. If only the man would die then he could stop constantly worrying about Arthur, because despite how many times he'd saved Arthur's life up until now this time was different. This time it felt almost inevitable. More than anything else Merlin wanted Arthur to live. The idea of watching his best friend die was too painful to think about.

"You must protect Camelot," Merlin answered, generically trying to avoid giving a real answer. "You must protect the world you've spent your life building. A just and fair kingdom for all."

"You'd have me sacrifice a friend," Arthur replied.

And it was then that Merlin realized how selfish his answer was. Here he was suggesting Arthur sacrifice someone when he himself was unable to do so. For what felt like forever saving Arthur and following his destiny had been one and the same so he hadn't really noticed before, but now Merlin realized that he cared more about keeping his friend alive then he did about his destiny: uniting the lands of Albion and returning magic to the relim.

No matter what the prophecy said, the future wasn't set in stone. Would he even be considering advising Arthur to condemn a Knight of the round table and continue to ban magic if he wasn't so scared of Mordred's part to play in Arthur's death? No, he didn't think he would. If it was Gwaine's life or any of the others Merlin would be trying to sway Arthur the exact opposite way he'd just intended to.

No matter how scared he was and no matter what lay ahead, Merlin had to do what he felt was right now rather than based on some unknown time in the future. The Disir themselves had said if he wanted to save everything he held dear he had to embrace the Old Religion. Maybe this was the key to avoiding the prophecy? Or was Merlin just being unreasonably hopeful? Either way it didn't matter. The path was clear.

"If I do save Mordred, all my father's work will be for nothing," Arthur continued. "Sorcery will reign once more in Camelot. Is that what you'd want?"

Despite his new realization Merlin still didn't speak. Even if he knew how he had to answer for the sake of the future of his land, the idea that his next words might mean sacrificing his friend's life held him back.

"Perhaps my father was wrong," Arthur said. "Perhaps the old ways aren't as evil as we thought. So what should we do? Accept magic or let Mordred die?"

"Could you really accept magic?" Merlin asked. He wanted to believe it was possible. Despite always believing it to be the future, a part of him couldn't even imagine a world in which magic was accepted. Before he advised Arthur to move forward and change the shape of the land, he had to know what the King was really thinking. "Do you have any idea what that would mean?"

"No not really," Arthur acknowledged. "Most of the magic I've seen has been used for evil."

"That is true," Merlin continued. "But with magic outlawed it isn't like you've ever really had a chance to see good magic. Any good magic user would probably either leave Camelot or at least have the good sense to hide their skills. Which means so long as the use of magic is punished by death it will only be the evil magic that is visible."

"You think there are good magic uses hidden somewhere in Camelot?" Arthur laughed. "Impossible."

"It is possible," Merlin replied, almost defensively. "Unless you see the sorcerer using their magic there is no way to know they have it."

"I suppose that makes some kind of sense," Arthur said. "Still you'd have to be crazy to have magic and live in Camelot."

"Crazy or not, what if there are people like that?" Merlin continued. "What if there were those among your people who had magic but were still loyal to you. Don't they deserve a fair and just kingdom, the same as those born without magic?"

"I can't imagine why anyone with magic would pledge loyalty to Camelot," Arthur said, clearly shocked at the thought. "That is unless they had no sense of self-preservation at all."

Merlin had to hold back a laugh. He had a point, but still it was funny to think about the way Arthur said it. Maybe he was right and Merlin was crazy with no sense of self-preservation. It would explain a few things.

"I think you have more magic on your side than you realize," Merlin stated. "Is all I'm saying."

"Or in other words you think I should do as they ask and save Mordred," Arthur asked directly. "No matter the consequences."

"Yes but more precisely, I think there would be nearly as many negative consequences as you think," Merlin replied. Arthur raised an incredulous eyebrow at him so Merlin explained.

"Think about it Arthur," Merlin encouraged him. "What has been the motivation for every magical attack on Camelot?"

"My father always said sorcerers didn't need a reason," Arthur said.

"Everyone has a reason for what they do," Merlin replied. "If someone you loved was executed for something they had no control over, how would that make you feel?"

"Angry," Arthur answered after a moment. Merlin gestured as if to say 'there you have it'.

After that Arthur leaned back, his eyes looking down as he was clearly deep in thought.

There, Merlin thought. It was up to Arthur now. He'd given his own perspective as best he could without revealing his magic and it was up to Arthur to decide the rest.

They sat in silence for quite a while until suddenly Arthur stood up. Knowing he must have come to a decision, Merlin got up with him and together they walked back to the cave. Like before, Arthur left his sword at the entrance before going inside.

In front of them now stood three cloaked figures; only their mouths were visible until their hoods.

"You have returned," one of the Disir said. "Is your decision made?"

"It is," Arthur replied. Then after a deep breath he added, "I am willing to do as you ask if you are willing to grant me one condition."

Merlin could hear the displeasure of the Disir at his words from the way they sucked in breath.

"It is not for you to make the rules," the Disir on the left said.

"You have no power here," the Disir on the right added.

"What I ask is not for me but for my people," Arthur pleaded. "All I ask is that if the return of magic brings great suffering to my people you will allow me to limit it's spread once more."

"Magic is neither good nor evil," the Disir said as one.

"We do not accept your condition," the Disir on the left said.

"For too long magic has been punished for its mere existence," the Disir continued. Merlin could no longer tell who was talking. The three of them switch so often, finishing each other's sentences.

"No more!" the three of them said as one. "You, Arthur Pendragon, must choose. All or nothing."

Arthur turned to look at Merlin, who tried to give him an encouraging look.

"All right then," Arthur said. "I will do as you ask."

"Your knight will live," the Disir continued. "But do not think you can cheat us. We will know if you go back on your word."

"Until next time, Arthur Pendragon," the Disir said as one and then were still and silent.

Slowly, Arthur turned away and headed out of the cave. Merlin followed him.

The King was silent while they gathered up the horses and started back to Camelot. They had been riding for well over an hour before he spoke.

"Have I made a horrible mistake?" Arthur asked, clearly distressed.

"No," Merlin said, smiling at his friend. "No, you haven't."

"I don't know why I listen to you, Merlin," Arthur grumbled. "I mean, what could you possibly know about all this? Good magic in Camelot! Ha!"

"Oh you'd be surprised," Merlin smiled. He couldn't keep the grin off his face. Somehow he knew he'd made the right choice. Even if Mordred lived, this was the better path. He just knew it, or maybe he hoped, but even so the Disir seemed to believe bringing back the old ways would save Camelot and Merlin wanted that to be true, but most of all he wanted Arthur to be spared.

Merlin couldn't believe his selfishness had almost made him advise Arthur that magic had no place in Camelot. Hadn't he been working towards just the opposite goal this whole time? When had his friend's life become more important to him than anything else?

"Yeah right," Arthur scoffed. "There is nothing you could do that would surprise me, Merlin." Merlin couldn't hold in his laughter at this remark. "It's not funny!"

"Oh but it is," Merlin sniggered.

"Stop it!" Arthur ordered. Merlin had a sense something was about to be thrown at him and had the good sense to duck. Sure enough the King's almost empty water skin was now on the ground near Merlin's horse.

"Now look at what you made me do!" Arthur growled. "Go get it and fill it up while you're at it."

"Some things never change," Merlin sighed to himself as he got off his horse to fetch the water skin.

Rather than actually finding a water source, Merlin just got out of sight in the woods to magically fill the water skin before heading back to the horses.

"That was fast," Arthur said as Merlin walked up.

"Told you I'm full of surprises," Merlin smiled.

"Or we just happened to stop by a creek," the King replied with a raised eyebrow.

"What happened to lackeys can be wise?" Merlin remarked.

"I said no such thing," Arthur stated as he got back on his horse.

"Typical," Merlin grumbled.

They rode in silence for the rest of the journey home. Camelot was just in their sights when Arthur next spoke.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell them," Arthur said nervously as he stared up at the citadel.

"Just tell them," Merlin replied. "They will support you."

"You don't know that," Arthur said. "I have just changed the entire structure of the land for the sake of one life."

"And that is why they will support you," Merlin said confidently. "They know how much you value them. You treat them like equals and the knights love you for it."

But Arthur still looked unsure so Merlin continued.

"As far as I know none of your knights have been wronged by magic, save for Morgana," Merlin reminded his King. "They will have no reason to defy you. And don't forget the overly strict rules on magic is what got Gwen's father falsely accused and killed. She will not be against it either."

"I wish I felt as sure as you sound," Arthur groaned.

"There is only one way to find out," Merlin said, gesturing to Camelot.

Arthur took a deep breath then started moving forward again. The first thing they saw when they walked into the courtyard was Mordred, looking alive and well. Merlin knew this was what he'd come home to, but still he couldn't help but worry as he watched Arthur hug the man destined to kill him.

"He just woke up," one of the knights was saying. "We couldn't explain it."

"I can," Arthur said solemnly. "I made a deal to save his life."

"And what did you offer in return?" the knight asked.

"To explain that, I will hold a meeting of the Round Table," Arthur said. He then gave instructions for all the knights to be summoned and for them to meet at the table in an hour.

"I really hope you are right about this, Merlin," Arthur said pointedly.

"Everything will be fine," Merlin told him. "I promise."

Arthur gave him a dubious look as if to say such things were not in Merlin's power to promise. It made Merlin smile.

They headed to the great hall where the round table was. There they waited, Arthur at his seat and Merlin off to the side like he always was. Slowly the knights filled in. The Queen as well. She came to sit at Arthur's side. Sir Gwaine was the last to arrive, looking like he'd been roused from bed with a pretty bad hangover.

"You are probably wondering why I gathered you all here," Arthur began. "A great change is coming and it is of my own making. It is my hope that this will be good for the land, but I fear it will cause strife."

"Whatever it is, you know we are with you, sire," Sir Leon said confidently.

"I know you all believe that but I just want you to know that the deal has already been struck and it can't be changed," Arthur continued. "So even if not a single one of you agrees with me there is nothing I can do to change it. What I can promise is that no one will think less of you for speaking out against it."

"Oh just tell us already," Gwaine grumbled. "I can't handle this lead up."

"I have made a promise to allow magic back into Camelot," Arthur finally said. "As of this moment magic is no longer outlawed in Camelot."

"But what about Morgana?" Elyan asked.

"She is still an enemy of Camelot," Arthur explained. "But no longer because of her magic, rather how she chooses to use it."

"You're serious about this, aren't you?" Mordred said, with awe in his voice.

"I have no choice," Arthur replied. "The deal is struck."

"Your father would not have liked this," Sir Leon added.

"If it had been up to my father the few of you he'd have allowed to be knighted would be kneeling at my feet instead of sitting across from me as an equal," Arthur stated. "I am not my father and I have wondered for a while now if magic might be a bit more complicated than my father's simple solution."

"I for one think you did the right thing," Mordred said. Then he began a chant: "Long Live the King."

As the words were echoed by everyone else in the room, Merlin couldn't hold back his smile. He wondered how long it would be before the magic users of this land would make the services known to the King.

-----------------------------------------------------------

What did you think of my take on how this episode should have gone? I still can't believe Merlin told Arthur 'Magic can have no place in Camelot'! Like really was he drunk? Anyway of all Merlin's mistakes that lead to the horrible ending no one likes I always felt this was the worst one so after re-watching the show I found myself wishing to read a better ending. My search for such a story fell short however and somehow that lead to me writing it myself. I hope you liked it!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sneak Peek Chapter 2

What was probably a few hours later, Arthur was interrupted from his work by the arrival of his servant.

"What Merlin?" Arthur asked. "I'm trying to work here."

"Well see there's something I've been wanting to tell you," Merlin began.

"Well spit it out. I haven't got all day," Arthur grumbled. Rather than looking up at his friend, Arthur's gaze remained fixed on the documents he was trying to decipher.

"It's kinda a big thing," Merlin said. Arthur gestured for him to get on with it. "A big important thing that is worth you looking up at me for."

"I'm the King, Merlin," Arthur said. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Hasn't stopped me before," Merlin grinned.

"Merlin!" Arthur stood up, annoyed. Really sometimes he didn't know why he put up with such behaviour. Any other king would have their servant whipped for saying such things.

"There see, at least that got you looking at me," Merlin said with a smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 519 11
What would happen if Arthur found out about Merlin's magic before season 5? What if he knew the threat Morgana posed to Camelot? What if Mordred, Art...
712 51 11
The stars danced in the sky, glistening and twinkling in the shape of a sword. All the magic in the world seemed to celebrate the return of something...
36.5K 1.3K 36
Destiny...Fate...Call it what you will, has everyone set on a certain path. Merlin's destiny is to protect Prince Arthur, to see him become King and...
50.6K 1.8K 13
Arthur and Merlin are connected by a Magic stronger than any other but while Merlin tries his best to keep his Soulmate alive, Arthur ignores his sou...