Please Believe Me

By Beautyinbooksblog

Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's onl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Madison
Chapter 2 - Madison
Chapter 3 - Maxon
Chapter 4 - Madison
Chapter 5 - Madison
Chapter 6 - Madison
Chapter 7 - Maxon
Chapter 8 - Madison
Chapter 9 - Maxon
Chapter 10 - Madison
Chapter 11 - Maxon
Chapter 12 - Madison
Chapter 13 - Maxon
Chapter 14 - Madison
Chapter 16 - Madison
Chapter 17 - Madison
Chapter 18 - Maxon
Chapter 19 - Maxon
Chapter 20 - Madison
Chapter 21 - Madison
Chapter 22 - Madison
Chapter 23 - Madison
Chapter 24 - Madison
Chapter 25 - Maxon
Chapter 26 - Madison
Chapter 27 - Madison
Chapter 28 - Maxon
Chapter 29 - Madison
Chapter 30 - Madison
Chapter 31 - Madison
Chapter 32 - Madison
Chapter 33 - Madison
Chapter 34 - Maxon
Chapter 35 - Maxon
Chapter 36 - Madison
Chapter 37 - Madison
Chapter 38 - Madison
Chapter 39 - Madison
Thank You
Note to the Reader
Please Forgive Me
Please Love Me

Chapter 15 - Maxon

15.1K 439 71
By Beautyinbooksblog

Vanessa and Luke are sitting to my right completely engrossed in the movie. We're onto our second film and I've barely muttered a few words. My mind's been traveling back to Madison and how she completely dismissed me earlier. It almost looked like she could barely stand the sight of me. A dull pain starts in my chest. Does she really think that poorly of me? Just thinking of her avoiding me and not wanting to see me hurts more than words can convey.

I hadn't been able to sleep all night not knowing if she was safe or not. Luke eventually let me know that he had invited both Madison and Vanessa out for breakfast. A spark had lit up inside me at the thought of seeing her again. I had planned on telling her my growing feelings then only to find out she hadn't shown.

Fuck. My need to see her overrides my hurt.

I'm going to go see her, I decide.

I need to tell her how I feel and hopefully, she'll return some sort of feelings and let me know why she left. Life's too short to not go after what you want and besides, Isaiah's right. They are only here for a week. I don't want to waste any more time. With that decision made, I peer over at Vanessa and Luke who are laughing at something they just heard. It looks like they need a bit of sibling bonding time anyway and I'll be more than happy to give it to them. It gives me more time to speak to Madison without anyone listening in.

I get up and head to my room. I pick up my duffle bag and keys then head for the door.

I'm walking past both siblings when Luke sits up, catching sight of my bag. "Where are you going?"
"The gym." I lie.

"Are you serious bro? Now?"
"Yup." I open the door.

"What about the movie?!" He yells.

"Watch it without me!" I shout back, the door slamming shut behind me.

I get into my SUV and head toward the hotel Madison's staying at.

                                                                                                 * * *

I knock on the door, heart racing as I wait patiently for her to answer.

It doesn't take long before I hear soft footsteps on the opposite side, the butterflies in my stomach picking up their pace the closer she gets.

I take in a deep breath, gathering my composure then frown when she says, "Hold on, T. Someone's knocking." Her voice filters through. "Probably room service."

A spark of jealousy lights inside. Who the hell's T?

The door opens slightly and a blue-gray eye peeks out. She sighs when she finds out it's me. "Please go away."

Then she shuts the door right in my face.

I stand rooted in place though, not backing down. So this is how it's going to be? Alright, two can play this game.

"I can stand here all day, baby." I calmly tell her. "I'm a very patient man."

"And I'm very stubborn!" She immediately yells back.

"Patience always beats stubbornness, sweetheart." I fight back a grin when I hear her heave out a heavy sigh.

I will wait here all day if I have to. As long as she can talk to me and explain to me what it is I did to bother her and why she suddenly hates my guts.

When I'm determined, I'm determined and I'm not leaving until I get some answers.

"T, I've got to go. There's a very annoying man on the other side of the door." My brows dip at her word in reference to me. So I've been annoying to her huh? "Yes, it's him. Okay, bye. Take care."

This time she swings the door open and she hisses out. "What do you want?"

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" I bite down on my bottom lip and her gaze goes there for a second before meeting my eyes.

She hesitates for a few moments but opens the door wider, gesturing for me to come in.

I try not to let her attitude toward me affect me. It almost feels like a rerun of the previous night. I haven't known Madison long but I don't like this side of her. Something is wrong and I need to find out what it is.

"Make yourself comfortable why don't you?" She rolls her eyes at the sight of me on her bed.

"Don't mind if I do." I smirk deciding to be a bit more "annoying."

She sits on the opposite side of the bed, pulling a pillow onto her lap and I fight the urge to frown, not liking the distance she's putting between us.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, obviously bothered by my presence. Again, it's not something I experience with women.

"Getting directly to the point I see." I offer her a grin but she doesn't return it.

So it really is going to be like this.

I let out a sigh running a hand through my hair.

I guess this is how we're going to start that conversation then.

"Why did you leave?" I ask her, voice coming out softer than I intended.

"I didn't want to impose." She answers, flatly.

"Madison, you would never. I invited both of you to stay."

"We were originally going to stay at a hotel anyway and besides, I'm sure we've been getting in your way."

"That's not true." She would never get in the way. I feel like her leaving is a bigger obstacle than anything else.

"Isn't it? I'm sure you wanted to bring home your girlfriend last night and I only got in the way. Now you are free to bring home anyone you like."

I frown, "My girlfriend?"

"Oh! That's right! You don't do girlfriends!" She lets out a bitter chuckle. "My mistake. I meant your lover. That blonde girl that was straddling you? Remember her? Or did those two blondes quickly replace her?"

My scowl deepens. "What are you talking about Madison?"

"Oh, so now you're going to act like you don't remember them. Riigghht."

"Seriously. What are you talking about? What do you mean I "don't do girlfriends?'"

Honestly, I haven't dated in years but that doesn't me I'm opposed to dating. I just haven't found any woman who's caught my full attention until now.

One who's apparently looking at me as if she wants to murder me this very second.

She throws me a cold look. "Don't act like if you don't know what I'm talking about, Maxon. I know you've been sleeping around with women for a while and I know I'm next on your girls-to-fuck list so you can cut the act of pretending to be all nice and chivalrous because I'm never going to sleep with you."

I'm so shocked at her words I probably look like a fish out of water. I can't even focus on how she came to these conclusions because she thinks—she thinks I'm pretending to be nice just to get her to sleep with me?

"No," I say truthfully but it does nothing to doze the fire in her eyes.

"No what?" She grits out, somehow appearing angrier.

"I'm not pretending to be nice to you just to get you to sleep with me. Trust me on that."

"Oh, I'm sure." She rolls her eyes as if I said the most ridiculous thing. "You can cut the shit, Maxon."

"What shit?" Anger starts building in the pit of my stomach then. There's only so much degrading I can take. "I'm not lying to you, Madison. That's one thing you'll never have to worry about when it comes to me. Ever."

"Why should I believe you?" She spews out, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Try me. Ask me anything and I'll answer."

She narrows her eyes as if she doesn't believe me but I'm tired. Tired of hearing her believe the worst about me. If she wants the truth, no matter how much it hurts, I'll tell her. I know what it's like to be lied to. I know what it's like to be cheated on by someone you love. I've never been a guy to sugarcoat anything. And I won't start now. I have a feeling this isn't something she's used to but I won't be someone I'm not.

"Well?" I arch a brow, waiting and hoping she doesn't suddenly decide to kick me out.

"I don't need to ask you anything. I've seen it with my own eyes." She sounds so sure I almost roll my eyes.

"Alright. Explain to me what you've seen and I'll correct you if you're wrong."

She glares at me and I raise a brow. If she thinks she's getting rid of me that easily she's sadly mistaken. I'm very patient and persistent when it comes to what I want. And I want to hear her side of the story. Since she's so sure she knows me inside and out. This girl is judging me hardcore and I don't like it, not one bit. I'm not leaving until she gets to know me some.

Madison glowers at me for a couple more seconds before giving up with a sigh. "Ugh, fine. I'll tell you." A pause then, "I saw you with that girl."

"What girl, Madison? Please be more detailed."

She frowns. "You know exactly who I'm talking about Maxon."

She's right, I know exactly who she's referring to.

"That blonde girl with the big ass. Straddling you on the lounge."

"What about her?" I try to stifle a grin at her referring to Ashley like that.

She bites her lip, losing a bit of her confidence, "Is she your—the girl you've been sleeping with?"

"Yes." I try to gauge her reaction but she turns away from me before I can see more. I add quickly feeling the urge to explain, "She used to be. Not anymore. I broke it up with Ashley."

"Spare me the names, please." She rests her fingers on her forehead and begins rubbing small circles.

"You wanted to know—"

"No. No names." She cuts me off. "I don't need to know the long list of women who you've slept with."

It's not that long but I nod, knowing she won't believe me if I bothered to explain. "Okay, no more names."

"Next question: is it true...is it true you've slept with multiple women at the same time?"

Just when I thought she couldn't shock me, she goes and does just that.

"I'm taking your silence as a yes."

"Madison—"

"Next question!" She yells, not letting me explain.

I only had a threesome. Once. And it was great but I won't do that again. I was hurting and using as many women as I could. It wasn't right and I regret my actions every day. My mom would kill me if she knew. That's not how she raised me.

"Why?" Madison's question throws me off kilter.

"Why what, Madison." Is she referring to why I did it? Slept with multiple I mean? If she wants me to explain then I have a feeling she'll hate me more than—

"Why me?"

"What?" Once again, she surprises me with her questions.

"Don't act dumb, Maxon. Why are you here? Why can't you just leave me alone? Is it because I'm not throwing myself at you like all those other girls? Why me?"

My jaw works itself over as I think about the best way to answer this question without scaring her.

She waits with her arms crossed over her pillow. When she sees I'm not answering she huffs. "I knew it. That's all you men want. Well, sorry to disappoint but I'm not that girl."

She gets up and is walking to the door when I finally say. "You've got me all wrong, Madison."

"Which part?"

"All of it. Do you actually believe me to be so heartless? That all of this is pretend?"

"Isn't it?" A jab to the heart right there. I can't. I can't hold back my feelings any longer. This woman is wounding me in every way.

"No," I get up, rubbing a hand across my forehead. "Jesus Christ, Madison. Can't you see? Can't you see that I have feelings for you? That everything I've done is for you. Only for you."

Her face is one of utter astonishment, almost as if she can't believe the words spilling out of my mouth.

"Those times you thought I was being protective? Taking you away from Isaiah? I was jealous as fuck. I hated seeing his hands all over you, dancing with him. And when I saw you kissing him? I lost my shit."

Her mouth drops slightly, seeming to realize something. "Is that why—is that why you left the girl? Ashley?"

"Yes," I confess, truthfully. I have nothing to hide.

Silence fills the room as I wait for her to process things. I walk toward her until I'm standing less than a foot away.

"What are you thinking, beautiful?" I ask, after a few more minutes. The ongoing silence is filling me with concern and uneasiness. A part of me is scared she will continue to not believe me. Another is afraid she won't feel anything for me.

"I'm thinking that you're wasting your time." She finally says and my heart sinks but she adds, "There are so many beautiful women. Yesterday was proof of that and—"

"And who did I come home with at the end of the day?" I step closer to her, some puzzle pieces finally clicking together. "I could've been sleeping around. Take a random girl home but I didn't. I was keeping an eye on you all night." I reach out and stroke her smooth cheek. "I would do it again. No regrets. As long as I spend time with you."

"Maxon...stop." She reaches up to grip my wrist but she doesn't remove my hand.

I take that as a good sign and lean in closer to her until our lips are inches apart. "Stop what, beautiful?"

Her guard is finally down and as I take another step closer to her; I can smell the fresh scent from her shower. It smells like sweet berries. I wrap my arms around her waist, and she sucks in a sharp breath.

"Stop saying those things." She protests weakly as I feel her lean slightly into me.

"Stop speaking the truth? Never." I shake my head and grin down at her. She smells so good I want to kiss her. "I like you, Madison. I want us to go out and explore this chemistry between us."

She bites her lip and glances down at her feet. "I don't know, Maxon, this is all so fast."

"Then we'll go slow." I cup her cheek and stroke it with my thumb. She's so beautiful I can't keep my hands to myself.

Another man would've probably given up already. They would say fuck this and never look back. But that's because they never had feelings for that person in the first place. When you truly want someone, you don't give up on them. At least, not that easily. I'm not giving up on Madison.

"What are you so afraid of, sweetheart? Tell me."

She looks everywhere but at me yet the moment her gaze finds mine, she gives me an answer I never in a million years would have expected. "You."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 255 31
Brynn Jones knows what she wants and doesn't care what she has to do for it. She made sure she got a girls' soccer team. She tries to get good points...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
344K 13.8K 39
*Completed* ||"Actually, Mr Parker. We were showing the new girl to her class." Seth says as he pushes me forward, in front of the whole class. Serio...
100K 3.8K 39
Everything has gone downhill for Madison Rosales and Maxon Blake. That happy and in love couple? Where are they? What happened to them? One simple a...