How to be Happy: Futility in...

By Authorswagger

Two weeks after a brutal fight, our ragtag group of protagonists battle against an insane Yakuza Family Patri... More

Chapter 1: Futile Beginnings
Chapter 2: A Confused Reflection
Chapter 3: The Changed Charmer
Chapter 4: An Unlikely Threat
Chapter 5: The Cruel Reality
Chapter 6: Familiarity
Chapter 7: Cautiously Cowardly
Chapter 8: Stand and Stand Again
Chapter 9: Two Opposing Houses
Chapter 10: Impossible Luck
Chapter 11: Gracefully Panicked
Chapter 12: The Charmer's Change
Chapter 13: Lucked Out
Chapter 14: Minor Mistakes make Misery
Chapter 15: Hurting to Love, or Loving to Hurt?
Chapter 16: Town of Complex Simplicity
Chapter 18: Shocking!

Chapter 17: An Old Friend

60 4 1
By Authorswagger

"Hey Itami, when do you think dad will come back from work?" Uragiri asked Itami, toying with his fingers.
"Pssh. I doubt he'd even see me. Every time I'm home, he barely notices I'm here, let alone acknowledge I'm his son." Itami says to Uragiri, rocking his char back and forth.

"Why is that?"
"You're the next heir to the Yamagashi throne, so he's molding you into the chairman he wants you to be. I'm not an heir, I'm a spare. So I'm not his son until you end up dying." Itami spoke.

The main door swung open and the father stepped inside, locking the door behind him. 

"..Uragiri. Let me tell you something between you and I." The father whispered into Uragiri's ears.

"We don't let strangers into our house."

"I get it, I get it. I ain't welcome here, I understand. Jeez, at least be a little nice about it. Where to now?" Itami said out loud, walking out of the house and walking around the neighborhood.

He stumbled into a house that wasn't his.
He stumbled into Okawa's house.

In the present..

Kamaye stops driving the car, as it flops.

"What happened?" Fruity asked.

"We're outta gas, friend. Luckily, we brought an empty Jerrycan in the back, so we can look for a gas station and fuel up." Kamaye says, looking behind at the other 4.

Kokoru and Okawa are fast asleep. Momoru is sitting in contemplation, and Rhed is smoking a cigarette. 

"Well ain't this just a bitch. Look where we stopped at, Momoru!" Kamaye shouts, pointing outside.
"You did this on purpose, didn't you?" 

They were outside the Kibou castle, the place the two fought.

"Alright, so me, Kamaye, and Momoru will go out and look for some gas. Rhed, could you watch the two sleeping lovebirds?" Fruity asked Rhed, as he nodded.

"Great, back to where we started." Momoru said, sighing and walking out of the car.

Fruity, Kamaye, and Momoru walked into the Kibou Castle, just to exit the other side. They climbed the stairs, jerrycan in hand.

Suddenly, the door closed behind them. The door in front of them closed as well. They were now trapped in a 6 story castle with a stranger.
"God. Damn. It." Momoru said, clenching his fists.

"This was a horrible idea. We just can't stay out of trouble, can w-"

"Search the area! We need the money, shoot ANYONE on sight." A voice shouted, scaring Fruity.

Momoru ran upstairs and climbed on the scaffolding, Kamaye and Fruity followed. They peaked down at the floor under them.

"Sadao." Momoru whispered, pointing at a man on a throne, being carried by 10 men.
"This isn't our problem. Let's just find a way out." Fruity whispered back. 

Kamaye felt the walls, cold and almost like..

"..Metal. GET OFF THE SCAFFOLD-"

A shock transferred from the wall shocked Kamaye, forcing his muscles to give out. He lost his balance and fell onto the bottom floor. He landed on his back and stayed there, motionless. 

"KAMAY-"
"Careful! Something's going on.." Momoru said, keeping Fruity from jumping down.

The scaffolding, long iron rods, moved and swapped places from one another. They began moving onto other floors, and began to insert themselves into holes in the floors. Momoru and Fruity began to rise like an elevator.

Momoru jumped onto the scaffolding entering the 4th floor.

"Jump to me!" Momoru shouts to Fruity, as he stands and readies to jump. 
Scaffolding blocks the way, stopping Fruity from jumping. The scaffolding he's on enters the top floor, as he jumps onto the 6th floor and looks down.

"I'll check on Kamaye, you get some gas!" Momoru says, as Fruity picks up the jerrycan and walks into the top floor.

Momoru walks downstairs, but is blocked by two unsuspecting men, searching for something. Momoru ducks into a room, hiding from the two. He picks up a pipe from the ground of the room he's in, a supply closet. 

As the men get closer, Momoru readies.
Momoru gets the jump on them, swinging the PCP pipe at one of their faces, breaking the pipe. The other man jumps back, as Momoru swings the broken pipe again, breaking it until it's barely usable.

"You're lucky I won't kill you." Momoru says to the two on the floor.
Momoru sneaks around, looking for the stairs to go down. He enters a hallway, about 50 feet long. He begins to sprint down the hallway, but stops immediatly.

"A broken leg isn't that bad, but seeing rebar stick out of your leg like I did scared the hell out of me." Sadao's voice said, freezing Momoru in his tracks.

Momoru didn't have time to back up or run forward, nor did he have anywhere to hide.

Sadao turned the corner into the hallway and notices Momoru.

"..YOU."

Outside, Rhed sits at the van, admiring his hands.

"I wonder.."
Rhed points at the lamp post in front of him.

"I want.. good luck?"
The lamp post fell and landed on a car headed into the castle's closed door. Rhed freaks out and runs up to the car.

"Oh, you're with a yakuza patriarch? Wait.."

Rhed understands what's happening and walks away from the car. He points at the castle, speaking loudly and clearly.

"Bad luck on the castle."

A piece of rebar falls onto the floor in front of Rhed.

"What's th-"
Scaffolding falls, almost hitting him. He looks up in distress, as the castle almost falls on him.

"Ah crap."

Back inside, Fruity begins to search around the top. He scours around the top floor, but not before running around the empty hallways. 

He stumbles into a hallway full of different items.

"What the.."
The doors had several names on them, like Liquid Power, Powdered Power, and Solid power. All three had different thing in them, like Cocaine, Alcohol, and Guns. But Fruity looked at the end of the hall, and sees one sign.

"Power".

Fruity runs to the end of the hall and opens the vault.

He sees money, lots of it. The vault is about 100 feet long, 50 feet wide, and about 45 feet tall. Oh, and its filled to the roof with money. He picks up a handful, and shoves it into his pockets. He turns and begins to look around the other rooms, while wondering.

"What is this for, though? I read about the Kibou being a crime family, but no crime family has a vault the size of a football field!" Fruity says, before stopping dead in his tracks. 

He hears people come in from the stairs, and so he freaks out.

"Uh.. Uh oh."

Fruity ducks into a room, the room with alcohol in it. He hides behind the bottles of glass and grabs one, ready to break it over someone's head. The men get closer, and Fruity gets ready to hit someone.

Suddenly, he feels his body fly back. He hits the wall behind him, and looks out the window. He realizes that he doesn't see the town's lights, but the stars above them. Fruity grabs the window with everything he could, before hitting the ground.

Momoru digs himself out of the rubble, bleeding from his forehead. He stands upright, and Sadao lifts himself up using his throne. He and Momoru stare at each other, as the two look up. 

Money falls from the sky, burning because of the electrical fire. Momoru charges forward, but Sadao is blinded by the money.

"I needed that.. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!" Sadao shouts, as Momoru stops running.

"You know NOTHING! You don't know why he's chasing after you, do you?" Sadao asks Momoru.
"What are you getting at?"

"One of you is the heir to the Kibou fortune, or the fireball in the goddamn sky."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.1K 165 21
Credit to @MadameOfFanFiction for the cover. She did an amazing job with it! KO, your average boy, works at a combined store in Lakewood Plaza Turbo...
301 35 25
"No compassion. No mercy." The words our family live by. "People tend to think I will forget the shit they said but there is not expiration date for...
135 20 11
***Gang version - no fantasy*** No one comes looking for a dead girl, as long as she stays dead. • • • Having finally escaped the vicious hands of...
283 5 38
"Would you rather; be lied to yet be a holy man of the goddess, or be part of a loyal family and be a man of the dark?" Ever since the leader of a cu...