Death's Daughter (An Inherita...

Galing kay ScarlettBarnes22

Lady Death makes a visit to Alagaesia when the life of one of its rulers is fading. But there are some who ar... Higit pa

All Men Must Die
To Strike A Bargain

Leave Taking

163 7 4
Galing kay ScarlettBarnes22

"Do you think they'll make it back?" Eragon whispered to Arya where they stood in the corner of the spacious room. He was referring to Vala and Adric, but Murtagh had not told them of the deal he'd struck with Lady Death. How could he explain to them that he was able to see the goddess of death, and had haggled with her for the life of his love?

"We can only hope," the elf queen replied. "There's no way to know how much longer she'll last, but they need to be back soon if they wish to see her."

"Murtagh sent Thorn after them, to hurry them back. He seems to think she won't last the night." The Red Rider sat stooped over the bed, his face buried in his hands. The other people in the room didn't want to disturb him, so they kept their voices low. The dark-haired witch stood on the other side of the bed, her brow furrowed in worry. She knew that Lady Death was not here right now, but she would be here soon. The sun hung in the middle of the sky; it would only be a few hours until sunset, and then she would return. Elva chewed on her bottom lip nervously, and her hands were trembling. After a lifetime of protecting the queen, she did not like feeling so helpless in the face of an unbeatable foe. Nasuada looked up at Elva wearily and extended a gnarled hand.

"Do not weep for me, Elva," she said hoarsely. The witch looked at her sorrowfully, a tear rolling down her porcelain cheek. "You have served me well, and I know you will continue to protect my line until the end of your days." Elva nodded weakly and squeezed her hand.

"Yes, my lady," she whispered. Nasuada turned to Murtagh and stroked his hair, causing him to look up at her. His fierce, grey eyes were ringed with dark circles, completely bloodshot; his cheeks looked sunken in, and his face seemed to sag with the weight of his sorrow. The queen had never seen him this way. But she said nothing, wanting to save her strength until the very last moment.

Ajihad came and went a few times throughout the course of the day, checking in on his mother. He knew that a messenger would fetch him the moment things turned south, but it eased his mind to make sure everything was still alright. And all the while, Murtagh never left her side. Eragon and Arya too, stayed in the room. Elva left after another hour, unable to take the pain any longer. She had said her goodbyes, and she knew the queen would understand. It was time for the witch to let her go.

Out on the wide balcony, a green dragon and a blue dragon hovered in the air, watching through the wide windows to the scene inside. They were all extremely attached to the queen, and her loss would hit them hard. But whatever happened, they would have each other for consolation. Saphira groaned mournfully as the hours wore on, trying to lend her Rider some of her strength in his sadness. Eragon thanked her quietly, but mostly kept to himself. He and Arya exchanged a few words, but they continued to keep their eyes trained on the gilt-framed bed. The air became heavy with their silence, and Murtagh's heart beat faster and faster. Every few minutes or so, he would glance out to the balcony, to gauge the position of the sun in the sky. It was sinking lower, and his agitation was growing. Soon, Lady Death would return to claim his beloved, and there would be nothing he could do. And his children had still not returned. It was too late...

~*~

Lady Death strolled lazily down the cobblestoned streets of Illirea. Her scarlet cloak was clasped around her shoulders, as normal, but underneath she wore a light summer dress that came to her calves. Although the climate did not affect her in the way that it did humans, there was something about the spirit of summer that made her feel more carefree. Perhaps that is what prompted her to show leniency to the Rider; the summer air was going to her head. Her bare feet swept across the smooth stones of the street, and a warm breeze shifted her cloak about her.

It had been a relatively quiet day in the city. There was a young mother and baby that could not be saved by the midwives, and Lady Death had escorted them to the Land of Eternal Life that morning, but nothing more than that. Those were the hardest for her-to ferry the children out of this life before they'd even had a chance to begin theirs. The look on the father's face had been difficult to bear, but, as always, Lady Death did her duty in stoic silence. It was the only way to cope with the emotions of these humans.

Somewhere far off, a child laughed and his mother called to him for dinner. Lady Death turned her head in their direction, enjoying this little slice of life she was getting to witness. It was not often that she got to observe the mortals; usually, she was far too busy ferrying the souls of the recently departed. When she looked up at the sky, she noticed the position of the sun as it hung low. The hour was getting late, and soon her task would be finished. She scanned the sky for any sight of dragons, but did not see any. If they were going to make it, they would have been back by now. Lady Death heaved a sigh and shifted her gaze to the towering citadel. She was not necessarily looking forward to going back in there, but she knew she must. Even now, the queen's life was slowly ebbing away, drawing into the void where it would hang in limbo until Lady Death came to carry it away. And so, padding along quietly on bare feet, she made her way as slowly as she dared through the bustling city, slipping into the castle unseen and steeling herself for whatever trial she might face in the form of Murtagh.

When she reached the queen's chambers, it was much as it had been the first night she had come there. Eragon and Arya stood huddled together, and Murtagh sat as close to the bed as he could without being in it. She noticed that Elva was absent, but paid no further mind. For what did one immortal girl matter to the goddess of death? No one-not even the Red Rider-stirred at her arrival. Murtagh was too engrossed in the condition of his lady wife to notice that her fate had finally come. Off of the balcony, Lady Death could see the sun hanging just over the flat horizon. Not much longer now.

Nasuada's breath came raggedly, an alarming rattling in her chest causing those that were gathered to worry more than they had before. Her eyes remained closed, where once they had opened periodically to inspect her visitors. Her life was coming to an end, and all who were present knew it.

Murtagh's head suddenly shot up to look out the windows, and then he glared coldly at Lady Death. She just continued to stare back at him impassively. They had made a deal, and she had met her end of the bargain. Now it was time, and he knew there was naught he could do to stop her. King Ajihad suddenly burst into the room, having been fetched by a servant at Murtagh's behest.

"Father..." he said breathlessly, rushing to the Rider's side. Lady Death watched on, her hands clasped in front of her.

'It is time, my lady,' Armaros intoned gravely. The silver clasp at her neck was humming and shuddering with energy.

'I know, Armaros. Just a moment more, though. I promised him until sunset.' She looked out off of the balcony, and thought that the sun seemed to be taking its time in setting tonight. Slowly, she moved toward the bed, preparing to take the queen away. As Ajihad knelt by the bed, silent tears flowing down his face, Murtagh had only eyes for Lyris. She held his gaze, undeterred by its ferocity. This was the moment, whether he was ready or not.

"No!" Murtagh suddenly shouted, jumping up from his chair and knocking it to the floor. Eragon looked alarmed at his sudden outburst.

"Murtagh, what is it? What's happened?" he asked in concern. The two of them, Eragon and Arya both, hurried across the room to his side. Murtagh continued to stare at Lady Death, though to their eyes it seemed he was staring into nothingness.

"I can't let you do this," he growled threateningly.

"Your time is up, Rider," Lady Death replied, unfazed by this expected development. "We struck a bargain. Do you mean to tell me you are going back on your word?"

"Father, who are you speaking to?" Ajihad asked, looking up to the man he had hardly known throughout his life. By the utterly flabbergasted looks on the faces of those gathered there, Lady Death knew this would not end quickly. And so, with Armaros' aid, she unraveled the enchantment of the red cloak that kept her concealed and thus made her presence known. The other two Riders gasped in shock at her sudden appearance and drew their weapons, green and blue blades shimmering in the light of dusk that poured through the windows. As for the king, he seemed at a loss for words.

"Sheath your blades," Lady Death commanded in a threatening tone. "Do not think that you can harm me. I mean you no ill will." It was not a plea, but rather a statement. Her voice was firm, asserting her ultimate authority.

"Murtagh, what is this?" Eragon demanded, looking between his half-brother and the goddess that stood before them.

"She is a demon-"

"I am called Lady Death," Lyris interjected, tired of the impudence of this mortal man. "And your queen's time is up. I agreed to give you three more days with her, and now those three days are spent. Do not force my hand in this, Shur'tugal. You will find me to be a most unpleasant foe."

"I cannot lose her like this!" he exclaimed, a crazed and frenzied look entering his eyes. Lady Death had seen this madness before, but never in a magic user before. She did not know what to expect from him. He suddenly held his arm out before him, palm facing upwards to the goddess, and he cried, "Thrysta!" A rush of air swept over the room, aimed straight for Lady Death. She simply stood at the foot of the bed, hands folded in front of her, as the air arced over and around her harmlessly, dissipating behind her form. Then the room was still once more. An air of breathless anticipation hung over them, as Eragon and Arya looked on in shock, and Murtagh, in anger. His attack had failed, and he could not understand why.

And for all of the formality and respect for the souls of the departed Lyris had ever been taught, she could not help but laugh. How could this man, a mere mortal, think that he could harm the goddess of death herself with his paltry magic? As her peals of bell-like laughter rang throughout the chamber, Murtagh looked on in heated fury. Finally, her laughter subsided, and Lady Death stared at the Rider with a cold intensity.

"How dare you?" she hissed, narrowing her once kind eyes at him. He stood his ground, and Lady Death would give him credit for that later. But right now... Right now, she was furious. "I am a goddess, and you think you can harm me with your little words and manipulations! Ha! It's laughable to even consider. And you-" she glanced at the other two Riders "-with your shining blades and your fearsome dragons!" By now, Saphira and Firnen were hovering just off the balcony, alerted to the disturbance by their Riders. "How could you ever hope to harm me?" Her fury was overwhelming her, and she was prepared to do something she had never done.

'My lady, I must caution you-'

'Silence, Armaros!' Lyris snapped at her companion. 'These mortals will pay for their insolence.' She looked between the brothers that stood before her now, and then at the father and son. And it was evident to her keen senses where to inflict the most harm. With a dainty hand, she raised only two fingers and pointed them in Eragon's direction, and then flicked them to the right. His blade suddenly dropped to the floor and his palor changed completely.

"Eragon!" the elf queen cried. She gazed at him in alarm, and a cold sweat began to break out on his forehead. He grabbed at his throat desperately, gasping for air.

"What are you doing to him?" Murtagh roared. Outside, Saphira was screaming.

"Showing you just how helpless you are against me!" Lady Death boomed, her voice resounding off the small chamber and filling it up with a deafening sound. Saphira burst through the windows, shattering glass and sending it flying all over the room. Her fangs snapped hopelessly at the goddess, trying in vain to stop her. But the goddess' power protected her from any mortal harm. Arya was rushing towards her, sword held aloft, and Ajihad was yelling something incoherent. Murtagh held his brother in his arms helplessly as Eragon fell to the ground, his face turning purple and blue as the air was stolen from his lungs. And then, just like that...

Everything fell silent.

Eragon stood upright, his sword in his hand and Arya by his side. The windows were whole, and Saphira hovered in the air outside. The room was set back in order, and Lady Death once again stood at the foot of the bed. It was as though nothing had ever happened.

"I have just given you all a vision," Lady Death said calmly, "of just how great my power is. You can never hope to stand up to me, and I do not advise you to try." At this point, she stared directly at Murtagh, who was still breathing heavily. "Now," she continued, coming around the side of the bed closest to the windows, "will you allow me to do my duty?" Eragon and Arya looked at each other, and then the brothers shared a quick glance. The apprehension retreated from their eyes as the answer became clear. With great effort, Murtagh hung his head as a sign of his assent.

Slowly, Lady Death made her way to the head of the bed, where the queen lay in silence, unaware of what had just happened. Lyris reached out a hand to place it upon her brow. This was it; she could finally do what she came here to do and then move on from this wretched land. Her fingers hovered over the queen's brow momentarily, and just as she moved to touch her-

A deafening roar split the air.

Lady Death looked out of the windows to the two dragons waiting outside, but both of their maws were clamped shut. So where had the roar come from? She turned back to the gathered Riders, and a look of pure elation covered Murtagh's face.

"Thorn!" he cried, rushing around the bed and out of the doors onto the balcony. The others followed, along with Lady Death, who remained just inside. She stared out of the glass panes, and saw the sun's last, faint rays dipping below the horizon. In the flash of light that came with sunset, she suddenly saw a brilliant crimson form hurtling towards them. Next to the great red dragon was a smaller one of golden scales, and on the other side, a dark green dragon. So he had managed to find the other son... Lady Death expelled her breath and hung her head.

'Of course Fate would do this to me at the very last moment,' she thought.

'She has a funny way of doing that,' Armaros chimed in. 'I believe it amuses Her, my lady.'

'Yes, well...' Lady Death let the thought fade into silence. The dragons approached the balcony, and off of their scaled backs bounded two mortals Lyris recognized. Vala jumped into her father's arms for a quick embrace, and then Murtagh clapped his son, Adric, upon the back. The king greeted his siblings, and pleasantries were exchanged between the Riders before they all rushed inside. Lady Death remained by the window, watching as Murtagh threw her a furtive glance.

"You and your family may have a moment with her," she said quietly. "But it must happen soon. She has run out of time, Shur'tugal." He nodded firmly in silence and then hurried to the side of the bed. They all kneeled around her, and Lady Death watched as the queen's eyes fluttered open. At the sight of her family gathered there, a wide smile graced her face, lighting it up with a happiness she had not known for many years. Lyris waited a few minutes, to let them have one last moment together, in which she lingered by the window, watching the five enormous dragons. She did not hear what they said to one another, nor did she wish to. Lady Death had endured as much exposure to the mortals as she could handle for now.

When the family stood and stepped back from the bed, Lady Death finally abandoned her post at the window and came to the bedside. They all watched her as the air began to shimmer and the clasp about her neck pulsed with energy. This time, she did not hesitate in placing her hand upon the queen's brow. As soon as their skin made contact, the queen inhaled sharply. Her spirit rose up out of her body, and as the last tendrils of light detached from her physical form, the queen exhaled her last breath. When she was gone, the tears flowed freely, but now there was a certain peace that overruled everything. Murtagh had been able to share one final moment with his family, and that would be enough for him. Now he could depart from this place with his dragon, to help Eragon train the new Riders, as Lady Death had suggested. Their son would stay behind to rule and continue their line, and the land would be at peace. Nasuada had made sure of that.

As for Lady Nasuada herself, she was once again young and strong, as she had been the last time Lyris had seen her. The queen's spirit had remained strong until the very end, and so her form would remain so for all eternity. She gazed about the room at her loved ones gathered there, and a small pang of sadness filled her soul. Nasuada looked at Lady Death, whom no one had noticed had disappeared once again. The goddess smiled at her sadly.

"It is a beautiful family you had," she told the queen, who nodded in response.

"I will miss them greatly," she replied. "May I ask, will my line continue on?"

"Yes, Nasuada, your line will sit the throne of this land for hundreds of years to come. Does that give you peace?" Lady Death eyed her carefully, gauging her answer to determine what she would say next.

The queen thought this over for a moment. "No," she finally replied, "that does not give me peace. What gives me peace is knowing that they all came together in the end, for me. That is a sign of true love. I am sure they will remain close long after I am gone." Lady Death nodded approvingly and then shifted her gaze to look at the mortals still gathered at the bedside. They were embracing one another in their consolation.

"I would like to offer you a gift, Nasuada," Lyris whispered. "You do not have to accept it, but I will offer it all the same." She paused a moment, but the queen said nothing. She was content to revel in this moment for as long as she could. "In the spirit world, we have beings that are called Guardians. They are designated to watch over certain people. Would you like to become a Guardian for your family?" Lady Death looked over at the dark skinned woman, and thought she could just glimpse a glimmer of tears in her eyes.

"Oh, my lady," she said, dipping her head in a sign of respect. "How can I thank you for such a great honor?"

"You can watch out for that wilful husband of yours," Lyris laughed. "He's caused me quite enough trouble over the past three days. I only ask that he does not do it in the future. Can you help me with that?" Nasuada nodded emphatically and thanked Lady Death once more for her kindness. With a parting smile, she hurried over to her friends and family to stand behind them, where she could spread out her spirit and wrap them in an embrace of love and protection. Lyris was not sure if they could sense the queen's spirit, but they would soon enough.

With a small smile of satisfaction, she padded across the room on bare feet, away from the mortals who had caused her so much trouble. But that was the way with them, and she supposed that would never change. She had shown compassion, and everything had worked out in the end, so she thought it hadn't been that bad. But one thing she knew for sure: if she didn't have to speak to a mortal for another thousand years, she could spend her eternity in peace. Lady Death exited the queen's chambers onto the balcony, where the brilliant purples and dark blues of twilight were painted across the sky. And she thought that it was truly a beautiful sight. Out of death had come a new sort of happiness, and that was all she could hope for in her journey. She raised her face to the sky and spread her arms out to the side, as the raven upon her clasp did with its silver wings. The wind pulled and tugged at her cloak, lifting her up into the air where she melded into the world of the spirits. It was time to move on to her next task...

The End

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

84.5K 4.9K 31
This story basically a simple lovestory. It revloves around two character Swara Gadodia: ambitious, stubborn and a bit impulsive. Being a carin...
230 14 35
Book one in "my darlin'" series. What happens when the heir to the Scottish throne and his lover get pulled back into the drama, the chaos, the life...
10.9K 290 18
Aenor's known Murtagh her entire life, he was there when she needed him, until he disappeared of course. Things change and people grow up and when Mu...
35.6K 1.1K 26
After escaping from slavers in Dras-Leona, Lorena travels with Eragon and Murtagh. The bonds between her and Murtagh grow strong and their affections...