A Court of Wings and Fate

By LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... More

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

42. Private Agendas

810 47 15
By LeeraIvy

    Mikael sat in a chair near the fireplace, Estelle lounging on his lap. The scent of cinnamon, peppermint, and chocolate filled the air. Gifts had already been passed around and opened. Piles of them sat on the floor around everyone.

    From Nyx, Mikael had been given several books regarding aspects of magic and instructions for powerful spells. Nyx had explained that he asked for suggestions from Amren. Mikael didn't miss the pointed look Thesan flashed at him, but he pretended to ignore it.

    Corbin and Lysander had given him a gift together. They'd had Illyrian swords made for both him and Calden. Mikael didn't know what he'd name the blade yet, but he was excited to wield it. Sienna's gift was a sheath for his new sword. She gave Calden one as well.

    Celeste and Estelle had given him books too, although these ones were novels. Celeste claimed they were just as informative as Nyx's gifts, but Mikael wasn't convinced. That is, he wasn't convinced until Estelle had whispered some very...explicit...things in his ear. He'd excused himself from the room at that point and didn't return until the roaring in his blood calmed.

    Estelle's gifts were as numerous as his own. She'd received new books from Celeste and Sienna, a set of leathers from Corbin, a pair of boots from Lysander, and fingerpaints from Nyx. Mikael had given her one of his presents, a set of Illyrian leathers as well, matching his own gold and white ones. When Estelle reminded him that black was her color, his response was that he matched her from time to time, so it was only fair that she matched him.

    Corbin leaned back against a sofa with a sigh. "I wonder who won the annual snowball fight this morning."

    "Annual snowball fight?" Calden raised an eyebrow. "What's that?"

    "It's a tradition our fathers have had for centuries," Nyx explained. "On the Solstice morning, they go to a cabin in the mountains and have a snowball fight. They usually spend several hours up there, before returning home for gifts and food. Lucien and Eris are invited to join in and so are we."

    "Not me," Estelle interrupted. "It's a males only event." She rolled her eyes.

    "You'd rather go outside and make squiggles anyway," Lysander teased.

    "Squiggles?" Mikael asked.

    "It's what she calls snow angels," Lysander said as Estelle's cheeks flushed. "Her shadows leave indentions in the snow extending from hers, like squiggly lines. She's called snow angels squiggles since before I was born."

    "Adorable." Mikael pressed a light kiss to Estelle's neck.

    "Why don't we have our own snowball fight?" Calden suggested.

    "There's no snow up here," Sienna pointed out. "The Palace sits above the clouds."

    "We'll go to one of the valleys," Calden clarified, rolling his eyes.

    "Let's do it." Corbin leaped to his feet. Lysander and Nyx nodded, rising as well. Estelle slid off Mikael's lap. He reluctantly let go of her.

    "Have fun," Thesan called as they traipsed out of the room.

    They made their way out onto one of the verandas. Mikael and Calden leaped into the air simultaneously, swooping down towards the mountains. The rest of the group followed, laughing and jostling one another. Mikael fluffed his feathers up against the cold. His skin warmed beneath his insulated Illyrian leathers.

    They dove through the clouds and came out beneath them, the ends of their hair frosted with ice. Mikael shook his head, flinging the ice off into the wind. They landed in a snow filled valley presently.

    "No magic!" Calden hollered, scooping up a fistfull of snow.

    "No shadows, Batsy," Mikael laughed as Estelle landed beside him.

    "I won't need their help anyway," she retorted. Estelle formed a snowball and chased after him.

    Mikael took off running, snatching handfuls of snow as he went. He chucked one snowball at Nyx. It landed right in between the male's wings. Nyx shuddered with a yelp. Mikael's next attack targeted Sienna. She screeched as snow ran down her neck. She grabbed a snowball and joined Estelle.

    Snowballs flew through the air, finding random targets more often than the intended one. Mikael was breathless from laughter and running. He shook snow out of his hair and repetitively fluffed his wings. He slowed to a halt beyond the group and braced his hands on his knees, attempting to catch his breath. Mikael narrowed his eyes. There was no sign of Estelle.

    He straightened, hearing a soft crunch behind him. Mikael whirled just as Estelle leaped out of a tree. She tackled him to the ground, smearing snow across his face. Mikael hollered and laughed, futilely trying to fight her off. She kept grabbing snow and dumping it into his hair and over his neck.

    Mikael worked his leg out from beneath her and hooked it over her own. He rolled, pinning her beneath him. Mikael lowered his head, shaking snow from his hair onto Estelle. She smacked his shoulder with an amused scream.

    Mikael didn't stop until she was breathless with laughter. He wiped snow from her cheeks and brushed his lips across hers. Estelle's breath frosted in the air when he pulled away. He tweaked the tip of her red nose with a chuckle.

    "Show me how you make your squiggles, Batsy," he said, helping her to her feet.

    "All right." Estelle spread her wings out wide and the shadows flocked to them.

    From the corner of his eye, Mikael saw the others pause to watch. Estelle moved her arms away from her body, not extending them fully. She fell backwards into the snow, then hopped up again. Sure enough, squiggly lines stemmed from her indention in the snow.

    Mikael followed her example, spreading his wings before dropping down. Umbra tickled his neck as it moved through the snow. He stood and tilted his head curiously. The shadow had formed a circle around the hole where Mikael's head had been.

    "Time's up!" Lysander hollered. Mikael huffed as a snowball broke against his chest. Estelle burst into laughter.

    "Prick!" Mikael yelled as he gave chase. Estelle clutched at her side, laughing all the more.

◦═══✦═══◦

    They returned to the Palace hours later, hot despite the chilly air. Estelle lingered beside Mikael as the others began to gather up their gifts. The evening was growing late and they were preparing to return to the Peregryn training grounds.

    Mikael slipped an arm around Estelle's waist, hooking his chin atop her head. "I have another gift for you. It's one I want to give in private."

    "All right." Estelle leaned into him for a moment, then approached her own pile of gifts. She caught Celeste by the arm as the female came past. "Could you and Sienna take my gifts back to the cottage for me?"

    Celeste glanced at Mikael, then smirked. "Spending the night together?" Estelle rolled her eyes. "Right. Right. None of my business. Of course we'll take your gifts."

    "Thank you." Estelle smiled and returned to Mikael's side.

    "Let's make our escape before your brother and cousins decide to try to kill me again," Mikael chuckled quietly.

    "They tried to kill you?"

    "Well, Lysander did. Nyx contemplated it. Corbin was the only one with any sense."

    "That's a first," Estelle snorted.

    They left the sitting room and started up the stairs, heading to Mikael's bedroom. When they arrived, Estelle continued out to the balcony while Mikael lingered inside. Estelle braced her hands on the balcony railing, breathing in deeply. The air was cold and fresh. Stars glittered overhead, not as brilliantly as in the Night Court, but they were beautiful nonetheless.

    She sensed Mikael's approach before she heard him. He kissed the nape of her neck and slipped a box into her hand. Estelle lifted it. "It was originally for your birthday," he murmured, "but when I realized you would be here for the Winter Solstice, instead of at home, I decided to wait to give it to you."

    Estelle removed the lid and stared at the necklace, a smile crossing her lips. A silver musical note dangled from the thin chain. Star shaped diamonds hung around the note.

    "It isn't enchanted." Mikael took the unclasped ends of the necklace and held it to her neck. "But I hope you'll wear it as you wear your family pendant." The cool jewelry settled against her skin as Mikael fastened it.

    Estelle lifted the note. "I'll wear it every day," she promised.

    She looked back over her shoulder. Mikael's chestnut eyes searched hers, something hidden in their depths. He tilted her chin up, kissing her softly. His other hand moved to the small of her back and he pulled her closer. Mikael deepened the kiss as Estelle rested her elbows on his shoulders and toyed with the ends of his hair.

    "Stay with me tonight," he said, breaking off the kiss. His breath was warm on her cheek.

    "And give Celeste the satisfaction of being right?" Estelle scoffed.

    Mikael kissed her jaw, then trailed a line of them down her neck. Estelle arched her neck, half closing her eyes. "Stay with me," he repeated, pressing kisses to her throat. "May I have you tonight?"

    "In what way?" Estelle whispered.

    "Any way. In any way at all." He held her by the shoulders, but his touch was light. "Whatever way you want."

    "Hm." Estelle pretended to think. "All right." She took him by the hand and led him back into the bedroom. With a wave of Mikael's hand, the balcony doors closed.

    Estelle didn't stop in the bedroom. She pulled him into the bathroom. Mikael furrowed his brows, but didn't question her. Estelle switched the water on and let the tub fill. Mikael swallowed as she returned to his side.

    She dragged her hands up his arms and over his shoulders. Estelle began to unbuckle the straps on his leathers. "What are you doing?" He asked.

    "You said you want me in whatever way I choose. You may have me as your servant tonight," Estelle said. She began to work his leathers off. "I want to serve you. What would you have me do?"

    "Whatever the hell you're already planning," he breathed.

    Estelle gave him a coy smile. "Good. I was hoping for that answer." She knelt, undoing the buckles of the belt and straps on his hips and thighs. Estelle circled him and set to work unlacing his pants. "You know, Illyrians believe that the larger their wingspan is, the larger other certain body parts are. I wonder if the same can be said for Peregryns."

    She stood and pulled Mikael's shirt off, tossing it on top of his leather shirt. She ran her hands over his toned stomach and up to his chest. "I've decided to take a lesson from you, Feathers, and do my own research on the matter."

    Mikael's breath caught as she slipped her hands beneath the waistband of his pants and pulled them down. She drifted back to the tub and turned the water off. "Get in." Estelle crossed her arms, not looking at him.

    Mikael obeyed silently. He settled his wings over the back of the tub and rested his head on the lip of it. Estelle knelt behind him, kissing his neck and shoulder. "I'm going to do my research now," she whispered in his ear, "and you're going to tell me how I can serve you as I do so. All right?" Mikael's throat bobbed as he nodded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

663K 25.9K 75
TW: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thanks. (Book one in the Starlight series...
137K 6.5K 55
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book three in the Starlight se...
55.7K 1.2K 64
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART] As the heir to the crown of Terrasen, Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius has always felt more responsibili...
24.7K 1.4K 53
One year ago, Prythian suffered an attack at the hands of the necromancer, Melantha. She was ultimately defeated, but the marks of her terrible influ...