The Broken Crown

By AmythestWinter

The first time I saw him, my bones turned to water and I knew I would fall at his hands. They called it dest... More

A Thousand Conversations
Secrets and Lies
Power and Control
The Expanse
Unraveling
Fire
Tales of the Past
Destiny
Witchcraft
Between the Wars
Intimacy
Loyality
Séance
Secrets of the Day
Innocence
Undo
Pretty Little Things
Dignity
Stripped
R I V E R
A Storm is Coming
Ruins
Allies or Enemies
A Choice of Fate
Immoral Men
Setting Sun
Battlecry
The Covenant
Dissolved
Tárvotur
The Hand That Feeds
Heavy in Your Arms
Pandora's Box
The Auburn Beauty
Silvercrest Ridge
Stardust
Wanderlust
A Destiny of Darkness
Atonement
All That Glitters
Hymnal
A Good Omen
Shadow of the Past
Sacrifice of Youth

Maintain the Madness

2.4K 155 21
By AmythestWinter

It was as if the sky had forgotten to put up a storm, for the crack which resonated like a clash of titans was not a dooming storm, but the collapse of a haven for many. Like flowers the stones of the palace had tumbled, smoke rising into the air as the cries of men calling out for their gods howled through the hollow morning air. The fall of a palace believed by many to be the next capital of the magical world.

It was as if time had ceased to exist in those moments, for the empty air created a bubble for the bloody man who stood observing the downfall of his once-home. As his hand struggled to take hold of the sword in his palm, blood trickled from his mouth as those golden eyes found it impossible to shut in this moment. The bodies of men he had fought beside lay buried under layers of stone. The bodies of men he too had killed met the same fate.

As River pulled the blade of his sword out from the body of his latest victim, he swore to himself, a promise which would be in favor of the woman he charged into battle with. The woman he intended to see survive. Yet it was as River watched the stones fall and consume the ground below, it was in that moment he had wished there existed a god to call out to – to beg that Leala Maxwell not met the fate of being crushed to death. Having found himself on the opposite side of where he wanted to be, River felt as if he was worlds away from the woman he wished was beside him.

A cry of anger sounded behind his shoulder, causing the once-Alpha of this pack to perform a pirouette, bringing the blade of his sword around as the blade sliced into the body of his attacker. His sword had nicked the leg of the elf. "You bastard," Asger cried out, falling to his knees as the two men were equally bloodied and exhausted.

It was only what felt like seconds ago when River found himself standing across from Asger and two other men, telling those he had entered with to flee. The two men Asger had cried to knock down River did not last long. Yet it was not at River's hand that those two elves met their doom. It was when Asger had taken River through a window, the glass shattering as the two men tumbled to the ground below, falling and tumbling down a set of stairs which led to the entrance of the palace. When River had looked around to his new surroundings and found himself carving up an elf who charged for him, that was when the palace he was just within let out its final breath.

Looking back, River knew he had to fight for his own survival in these moments. The man who had once been his righthand man, his best friend, and the elf who River had grown up with, Asger had changed and was seen in a new light. The elf pushed his hair from his face, eyes narrowed as he picked himself up. "Distracted by that twat you call Queen?" Asger remarked, rising to his feet, and tightening his grip on the dagger in his hand.

River readied his blade, keeping himself on his toes as he kept his knees slightly bent. The moment River expected Asger to jump out at him, cheap magic was created in the air. A white flame burst from the air, concentrated in Asger's palm as his eyes flickered silver. Channeling chaos, Asger unleashed a hellfire, concentrating the projection of the flame upon River.

Acting fast, a sign was placed and words whispered, a shimmering shield blocking the path of the flames. As the golden-eyed werewolf in human form was successful in his defense, the flames dispersed around the shield, cracking the stone stairs behind him. River found himself exhausted as he kept the spell projected over his frame, struggling to trust his strength in these moments as a look of rage passed over Asger's face. The elf charged with a long blade in his hand, yielding the weapon with such a hunger that River took a step back. Reading his weapon once more, River planted his weight on his toes and bent his knees.

Asger took a swing. River leapt backwards, keeping his feet in the same orientation, moving back further diagonally. With his stance restructured, River watched as Asger moved quick on his toes, following River's movements as the two performed their duel. The dance was not one of passion, but utter rage as they both took turns attacking the other, wielding their blade with strong grips. Metal met metal, the two animals representing the art of the duel. Equally matched, River had expected such to occur, for the two had begun their training together while still living in Europe and away from the mess of the human realm.

A blast cracked the air, causing River and Asger to stop their duet for a brief moment, looking back to the palace as yet another pinnacle part of the palace had begun to crumble to the earth below. The palace both men had come to call their home was becoming nothing but a ruin.

It was ironic almost, for the home River had known to crumble in such a final battle. It made him recall the ruins of the palace his parents had dwelled in, only to crumble in the final battle Lily Maxwell had begun. Palaces brought down by fire while a fight for control of the kingdom was underway.

"You were like a brother to me," River called out to Asger, remembering the moments the two of them would spent, hours upon hours of not just training to use Chaos of blades, but academia and their personal lives. The two had grownup together, yet their adult lives caused a split.

"We were never the same, River," Asger hissed. "A werewolf destined to take back his family title. To continue their fucked legacy. Did you think the elves would support you blindly to only allow werewolves to remain in control. Your species taints the existence of the supernatural."

"When did you change? What caused such hate?"

"Elves are the supreme race, not werewolves or vampires or witches. While all you others were formed from Chaos, we trained Chaos. You have neutered the power which Chaos once wielded."

"What happens, Asger? What happens when the werewolves are gone? The witches, vampires, fairies, djinn-"

"The end of the world for you weaker species will permit the existence of Pure Chaos once more. We elves were taken from our homelands, pushed back, and told what lands we could have control over. Did you not think we would grow tired of being reduced – being pushed towards extinction?" Asger snapped, projecting his voice.

It was then that River had noticed just how far the two of them had strayed, for they had been pushed up a set of stairs. River took a step back, ascending the stairs as he looked down to Asger. "And what about the humans? You cannot drive humans from their homes and push them to extinction." River asks, readjusting his grip on the sword as he recognized Asger's weakness in their positioning.

As River readied his stance slowly, Asger looked up to his once-friend. "Humans will perish eventually. They are the weakest species to have been created. Created from a neutered form of chaos...humans are wild animals needing to be herded."

Asger leapt, thrusting his sword out, yet as he made it to the set of steps River found himself on, River slid to the left, bringing down his sword on Asger's right arm. Crying out in pain, the elf dropped his sword as his arm had nearly been sliced through.

Propped up on one knee, Asger looked up to the werewolf who was to bring down a final blow. As River's blade slid across Asger's neck, his blade covered in crimson, the silence which surrounded the two caused a hollow feeling to pass over River.

His eyes watched as the body of Asger fell sloppily to the ground, blood running down the set of stairs. As River stood and watched, a cry of pain left his mouth, yet not one of pain, but anger and grief. The elf River had been close enough with to call his brother now lay motionless on the stairs. Falling to his knees, tears were shed from River's eyes as his shaking hands hovered over Asger's body, as if he was unable to comprehend his own actions. River knew what he had done was what had to be done, yet the misery flooding his soul overtook him. Unable to grab hold of Asger, River only backed away from the body, picked up his sword, and buried his head into his hand to wipe away the fresh tears.

Through the emotions clouding his head, River made a clearing, understanding what he had to do now that a threat had been taken out. As River pushed off from the ground, his eyes scaled the height of the palace, the ruins of it laying still. Not many others had know of the tunnels which ran under the palace. If River were to pass under the palace, to try and find a sign of someone still alive on the other side, he would be hopeful in Leala's survival. Yet he also knew if the tunnels had collapsed, there would be no choice but to run through the crumbling palace.

Replacing his thoughts and concerns, River parted ways with Asger one last time, making the start of the hunt for a tunnel he could use. His purpose was to now find Leala and ensure her safety in these volatile times.

As the past-alpha of a pack now on fire, River began to search for a tunnel. Yet what felt like worlds away to River, it was just over the crumbling palace and flames where Leala Maxwell was limping through the hallway of the palace with the men sworn to protect her.

Leala's mind had become cluttered with thoughts and concerns, both on River and on the situation of the war in this moment. As the bandage around her torso was redone and applied thoroughly, the pain which resided within her was sharper than ever. As if a fire had been lit and Leala had been strung up over it, Leala tried to push the pain out of her head and focus on finding the others.

Yet where the other troops had been sent, many had perished. There was a platoon led by Alpha Finch, only to become ambushed by a set of elves. In the battle, only Finch and a handful of his men found victory. There was Alpha Mathis, so new to leading a group of men he struggled to think of a formation to best utilize the swords in his men's hands. As Alpha Mathis had charged down a street in Eternal Shadows, hellfire was set upon the werewolves with arrows. Three had pierced Mathis's chest and torso and the alpha fell to the street, the body of the young alpha trampled over by the enemy. As for the oldest alpha, Alpha Yusuf had given his sword up and transformed into his wolf, charging at those who had dared come his way. Alpha Yusuf fought alongside Brie in those moments, the two a deadly duo. Yet there were two alphas who charging in a direction unfamiliar to them, to the awaiting arms of Alpha Leala Maxwell, their clothes bloodied and their bodies exhausted.

Alpha Finley and Emmitt were charging through the palace, running with what was left of the platoons they had entered the palace with. As the palace had caught fire, the two had found one another, only to continue their journey as they rushed out of the fire and into the firepan.

Their pace had slowed down the moment Finley laid eyes on the woman he had sworn the allegiance of his pack to. In the opening of the green garden stood a bloodied Leala Maxwell, her eyes lighting up the moment she noticed the familiar faces. Yet Alpha Finley could not help but feel a small ounce of power as he watched the woman deemed 'the next queen' stumble as she tried to rush for their aid. Inie helped to steady Leala, displaying to Alpha Finley just how weak she had become. Finley wondered if Leala was to fall in this battle just who would be made the leader of this new kingdom – yet he already knew he would be elected.

As the gears in Finley's head began to turn, Leala turned to Inie, instructing him to gather the troops together and to look out for another ambush from the elves. Leala leaned herself against a marble pillar to the opening of the garden, letting out an exhausted breath as she looked up to the sky overhead. Filled with the fumes of smoke, the sky resembled a dark storm rather than the dawn when this had all begun. The smoke which circled the sky resembled a creature to the young alpha, her mind drifting off to just how her mother perished in a place like this. If Leala wanted one thing, she did not want to perish here by smoke and flames.

"Any signs of the others?" Leala asked, her voice raspy as her attention was focused on Emmitt and Finley.

"Yusuf and Brie are still fighting. That is all we know," Emmitt replied, rushing over to Leala as he wondered just how badly she had been injured.

"Cedric?"

"No word," Finley mumbled, sharpening the blade of his sword as he glanced to the child of Lily Maxwell.

"Only hope then. Hope that the others will make it out alive," Leala remarked, thanking Emmitt for his offering of water. Her eyes scanned the garden, only for a fear to settle in her stomach.

Leala perked up, attention shifted to the figures emerging from the garden. Emmitt shouted orders as Inie pulled Leala from the frontline. As the few left gathered into formation, Leala watched as the cloaked figures stepped forward, wielding no weapons.

Within a second a flash of light exploded and Leala witnessed the first line of defense shift into their wolves as they charged for the cloaked elves. Wolves charged at the elves, barring their canines as their mouths peeled up, letting out low growls. Leala stood and watched as the wolves dodged the spells cast by the elves, the streams of infinite light colliding around the garden. Yet many were not lucky to dodge the spells projected, for their bodies collided with the mass, causing those to fall to the ground – motionless and their body scorched.

As the first wolf dug his canines into the flesh of an elf, the cry of the fay creature seemed to shatter the sky with such a pitch, drawing all attention to her as the wolf's powerful jaw remained locked on her arm. As the wolf pushed his weight to his back legs, he swung his head around with the elf still locked in. Leala watched as the body of the elf was flung into the side of a statue, her head clashing against the sharp marble as she cried out. As the female fay creature cried out one last time, her attacker snarled and dug his teeth into her throat, pulling back with such a force that blood spattered his fur. Yet this wolf was one of the lucky ones to be successful in his attack, for there were others who found their reflexes to slow as they tried to grab hold of the cloaked elves.

As Leala watched from afar, her eyes were peeled to the scene as two elves teamed up against a wolf who had nearly snagged hold of the elf, only for two elves to thrust their swords into his back. As the wolf cried out, Leala knew she too must fight, yet Inie sensed the desire in her. Before Leala could take a step forward, Inie took hold of the young alpha's arm, warning her to stay close and allow the elves to dwindle down before they were to make an attack.

Emmitt and Finley stood by Leala, their hearts racing as they watched the battle unfold around them. Perhaps it was in this moment that the alphas knew the actions they must take, for as they watched the bodies of their men litter the garden, they charged to the field. It was Emmitt who took on an elf first, wrapping his hands around the neck of the elf who stood over the body of one of his own, Emmitt shifting into his wolf as his hands turned to paws, his claws digging deep into the elf's flesh.

As Leala broke free of Inie's grasp, she made her way forward with calculated steps. Realizing her weakness, Leala walked for the thick shrubs which lined the garden. Without proper protection, she understood her chances would become limited. Picking the blade which lay at her side, her body slumped towards the left as the weight of the blade pulled on her, her mouth letting out a sharp hiss. Inie joined her side, helping tend to the bandage coming undone around Leala's waist. As Inie fastened the bandage soaked in crimson, Leala kept her eyes on the battle. Her eyes scanning the elves and wolves which fought as they toppled over one another.

"Keva has to be close," she whispered, tears forming in her eyes as Inie fastened the bandage in a swift motion. "This is her garden – her haven."

"You think she made it out of the palace?" Inie asks, looking back to the palace which was crumbling still. Flames burst out the windows, the ivy running along the sides of the largest tower becoming scorched as a ringing erupted in Leala's ear from the blast.

"She is calculated. She is waiting for us – perhaps for me."

"You think that Keva wishes to face you?"

"She waits for River or I. She waits for me because I did not follow the path she had set out for me. My mother caused tensions in her plans decades ago. I know Keva wants to finish this...finish it in a way she sees justified by her gods."

Leala was sure that Keva still stood on high ground – that Keva was waiting for someone to come forward. The young alpha had been a puppet of Keva since Keva decided to pull those strings. The death of Steward Cade's daughter was perhaps the first visible sign of strings being pulled, but Leala understood Keva must have been discouraged and beyond mad when she pulled away from River and started her own race for the crown.

"Then we will find her," Inie promised Leala, helping her crouch below the line of the thick shrubs. With Inie by her side, Leala felt protected as the two of them made a path around the battle. "Where would she be?"

All the times Leala had been given some form of advice from Keva – having her strings pulled – it had always been by the roses. It was perhaps a shelter for Keva or perhaps some symbol for the silver-haired elf. Whatever it was to Keva, Leala did not give it a second thought, only pulling Inie around the corner. "There is a gazebo at the end of the garden. I have a feeling Keva will be there...waiting for me."

Taking in a deep breath, Leala nodded to Inie, informing him she was ready to progress further while trying to draw minimal attention to the two of them. Yet as they started off for the place Keva was suspected to be, it was in that moment a body emerged from the pile of bricks near where Leala had met with Finley and Emmitt. The body, though weak and coughing from the smoke, was one Leala would have recognized within the blink of an eye. Having chased after the light at the end of the tunnel, River had chased after fresh air as the tunnels under the palace had begun to crumble. It was as if River was running from a boulder chasing after him, for he knew the deeper he had progressed in that tunnel, the further he ran from safety.

The opening around River seemed to spin as he stopped to catch his breath, finally free from the tunnels which had closed around him. Taking in a gasp of air, River searched the garden for any sign of Leala. In his deep inhale, the unforgettable scent of Leala fading away with every second.

It was in the chaos where River found himself unraveling, grasping for the security that Leala was indeed still alive and fighting her way through this hell. It was in this chaos where River asked himself just how much longer he could survive...or perhaps Leala as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 686 27
He grabbed me, and I felt tingles go up my arms. I started to thrash around trying to get out of his grip. As much as my wolf wanted him, I didn't an...
3.9M 131K 58
Never speak unless spoken to. Never look into his eyes. Never step out of line. Never speak his name. Never turn your back to him. And most of a...
6.3K 546 22
A teenage boy is punished for a crime because he won't explain why? Why did he kill the Beta of his pack. Years later he finds his mate. Can she heal...
113 41 41
Oliver Fredericks: I was raised on power. I was forged in strength. I convey that in everything I do. I know this world is full of things that wi...