A Court of Wings and Fate

Par LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... Plus

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

37. Unwanted Gestures

818 45 6
Par LeeraIvy

    As Estelle had said, the library in Rhys and Feyre's estate was smaller than the one at the Palace, but that made it infinitely cozier. Mikael lounged on a chair, skimming through a book he'd found intriguing. Corbin and Lysander were playing a game of chess close by. Calden snored away on a sofa.

    Feyre and Nesta were there as well, reading books of their own. Mikael had to stifle a smile when he saw that Nesta was reading Lonely Sings the Nightingale. Judging by the condition of the book, it was a favorite of hers too.

    Mikael looked up as the library door opened. Rhysand entered, accompanied by Nyx. Rhysand was holding a letter. "What is it?" Feyre straightened at once.

    Rhysand lifted the letter with a grin. "Lucien just sent this. Eris and Evren's baby has arrived. Castiel Vanserra."

    Feyre smiled happily. "That's wonderful, but she was expected to give birth earlier. Are they both all right?"

    Rhysand nodded. "Lucien said there were no complications. They're both doing fine."

    "The child simply chose to be late," Nesta chuckled. "He is definitely Eris' son."

    "I'll be sure to include that in my response," Rhysand laughed. "Care to help me, Feyre Darling?"

    "Of course." She set her book aside and took her mate's arm, following him out of the library. After a moment, Nesta joined them.

    "So the Autumn Court finally has an heir," Corbin said. "Let's hope he grows up less of a prick than Eris."

    "Eris is a saint compared to how he used to be, if our parents' stories are to be believed," Lysander pointed out.

    Nyx dropped into a chair beside Mikael's. "His son's birthday is right before yours. Speaking of which, was there something in particular you'd like to do to celebrate?"

    Mikael shook his head. "We've never really held celebrations for my birthday. My fathers and I just spent time together, or Calden, Celeste, and Sienna dragged me to the dance hall in Nimbus."

    "You've never had a real party?" Corbin asked, arching a brow.

    "My fathers tried when I was little, but hardly anyone would show up. I'm a bastard, remember?"

    "That shouldn't matter," Nyx replied through gritted teeth. "We should do something."

    Mikael shook his head again. "We don't need to."

    Calden sat up, rubbing his eyes wearily. "They're right, Mikael. You only turn 124 once." Mikael rolled his eyes.

    Lysander thought for a moment. "What if we combined a celebration for you and Estelle? Her birthday is in just a few days. I'm sure she won't mind if we celebrate a little early."

    "I..." Mikael began.

    "Don't even try to argue," Nyx interrupted. "You're getting a party."

    "All right," Mikael sighed with a smile.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Estelle pouted on her bed while Celeste and Sienna dug through her closet. Seren watched them from the doorway, hiding a smile. "You weren't kidding," Celeste huffed, crossing her arms. "You don't have very many dresses at all."

    "I told you. I rarely have any need for them."

    "Mor has offered to take her dress shopping, but she refuses," Seren said.

    "You're not helping, Mom," Estelle rolled her eyes.

    "We don't have time for shopping now," Sienna pointed out. "We have to be at Rita's in an hour."

    Estelle fought the urge to roll her eyes again. She'd only been informed of these plans a few minutes ago. Apparently, the males had decided that they needed to hold a birthday celebration for Mikael, but he refused. They decided to have one anyway and combine her birthday with his, even though her own birthday was still a few days away.

    "You could look through my closet," Seren said. "There might be something in there that will fit her."

    "Thank you. We'll do just that." Celeste grabbed Estelle by the wrist and they followed Seren out the door.

    Don't be nervous about wearing a dress, the shadows murmured. You should look nice if you want to. You are going to a celebration, after all.

    I don't need a dress to go to my own party, Estelle scoffed.

    The Prince of Sunrises may appreciate it. You will like what he has chosen to wear. We can show you something that will match.

    Estelle hesitated. You know what happened the last time I wore a dress.

    It has not happened since.

    Estelle didn't reply. They reached her parents' room and she sat down on the bed. Seren began pointing out several gowns in her massive walk in closet to Celeste and Sienna. Estelle inhaled deeply, letting her parents' scents, cinnamon and honey mixed with night chilled mist and cedar, calm her mind.

    Shadows brushed across her cheeks, offering comfort. You are not who you were then. You can defend yourself. You can wield your magic more accurately.

    Seren sat down, slipping an arm around Estelle's shoulders. She pressed her cheek to the top of Estelle's head. "What's wrong?" She whispered. "Your mind is practically screaming at me."

    Estelle glanced at Celeste and Sienna. They were farther back in the closet. "What if it happens again?"

    A look of confusion crossed Seren's features, but was soon replaced with understanding. "That happened a long time ago, Little Bat. You're older and wiser now. You'll be with your friends and family. You'll be all right." Estelle closed her eyes, leaning into her mother as Seren kissed her forehead. "If you don't want to wear a dress, you don't have to."

    "What about this one?" Celeste gasped, holding out a stunning evening gown.

    Wear it, the shadows urged. You will be safe.

    Estelle bit her lip, eyeing the gown warily. "I'll try it on, but I can't promise anything." She stood and entered the closet. Celeste draped the gown over her arms before she and Sienna left.

    Estelle shrugged out of her leathers and jumpsuit, then gingerly stepped into the gown. She lifted the golden lace halter over her neck and settled it atop her shoulders. Estelle turned, looking herself over in the mirror.

    The gown was made of a lightweight white material. It pooled like a waterfall at her feet. More golden lace embellished the bodice, lining the low neckline and traveling to her waist and around her back. The back of the gown was completely open and rested just above her hips. There was no fabric touching her wings, which were a harsh black against the whiteness of the gown. As were her shadows.

    Estelle left the closet, letting her mother and friends look her over. Seren nodded with a small smile. Sienna reflected it and Celeste clasped her hands together with an excited squeal.

    "I love it!" She exclaimed. "It suits you. It really does. What do you think?"

    "I think I'll get cold," Estelle said, rotating her bare arms.

    "It's always warm at Rita's," Seren pointed out. "You won't be outside for long, but it's up to you."

    Wear it, the shadows urged.

    After a moment, Estelle nodded. "All right. I'll wear it." She loosed a heavy sigh as Sienna and Celeste hugged one another excitedly.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Mikael sat at a table with Nyx, Lysander, Corbin, and Calden. The females had yet to arrive. Already, they'd ordered drinks and a few pastries. Mikael sipped his drink, glancing at the door. Umbra squeezed his arm tightly as it opened.

    Celeste and Sienna traipsed inside, followed by Estelle. Mikael's eyes widened. She was wearing a gown. He'd never seen her in anything like it before. She seemed ill at ease, tugging at the fabric along her waist.

    "Happy birthday, you two," Celeste laughed, sliding into the booth beside Lysander. Sienna joined her.

    Estelle sat beside Mikael and snatched his drink. He didn't protest, recognizing the anxious look on her face. "You look beautiful," he whispered, leaning over to press a kiss beneath her ear. Estelle didn't respond. She hadn't even looked at him yet. Mikael's lips quirked to one side.

    A waitress passed by to take their orders and conversations began. Mikael kept an eye on Estelle. She hardly joined in. Finally, he bumped her arm and jerked his chin towards the dance floor. She nodded and stood.

    They worked their way through the other couples until they reached an empty space. Mikael wrapped his arm around Estelle's waist and she settled her hand on his shoulder. They began to dance.

    "Are you all right?" Mikael asked. Estelle stared at something past his shoulder. "Batsy?"

    "Hm?" She blinked rapidly, finally looking at him.

    "What's wrong?" Mikael pulled her closer, brushing his fingers across her cheek.

    "Nothing's wrong," she sighed. "I'm just...at odds with myself right now."

    "What do you mean?" Estelle swallowed, looking around the club. "Who are you looking for?"

    "No one."

    "Hey." Mikael stopped dancing and gripped her shoulders firmly. "Do you need to leave?"

    "No, this party is for us. I need to stay."

    "Estelle, if you need to leave, you can." Estelle drew in a shuddering breath. "Do you want to go? I'll make up some excuse to tell the others. It's all right."

    "I need to get out of this dress. I need to breathe." The shadows swathed her face in darkness. "I need to get out of here." There was a hint of panic in her voice. She grabbed his arm and he was surprised to feel her trembling. "Mikael, get me out of here. Please."

    "All right." He glanced at the rest of the group, still sitting at the booth, then back at Estelle. Her eyes were wide and her shoulders shook. Mikael pulled her against his chest and guided her towards the door.

    He lowered his mental shields as he did so, hoping Nyx would sense it. Nyx, he called for good measure.

    What is it? Nyx replied at once.

    Something's going on with Estelle. We're leaving before she panics.

    Is she all right?

    I don't know.

    What do you want me to tell the others?

    Just tell them we went somewhere to be alone. That will be believable enough.

    All right. Mikael could feel Nyx's concern as sharply as his own. Let me know what's going on when you find out. I'll handle everyone else.

    Thank you.

    Mikael restored his shields as he and Estelle exited Rita's. The air outside was frigid and Estelle shivered. Mikael let heat spread through himself. Her shivering grew less. He assumed that what remained came more from her panic than from the cold.

    "Do you want to go home?" He asked.

    Estelle shook her head. "My parents will ask why I left. I don't want to explain that to them."

    "Where do you want to go then? You can't stay out in the snow like this."

    Estelle squeezed her eyes shut. "The cabin. There's a cabin in the mountains that is secluded. It's warded and spelled to take care of anyone who goes there. It belongs to Uncle Rhys, but we're all allowed to use it. No one will be there right now."

    "Can the shadows take us there?"

    She nodded. Her breathing was a little easier now. Mikael hugged her tightly as she buried her face against his chest. Shadows swirled around them, carrying them far away from Velaris.

◦═══✦═══◦

For a bonus Eris/Evren chapter, please see the short story titled "His Everything' in my additional book "Beyond the Books".

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

126K 3.7K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...
362K 11.1K 63
Daemati are feared and coveted throughout Prythian. Seren Marzena is one of the few among their ranks. When her power is revealed to Beron Vanserra...
26.9K 1.3K 55
Two years have passed since Mikael Anik and Estelle Marzena survived the Illyrian Blood Rite and were mated. They've finally settled into their new l...
34.4K 1.7K 42
Eternal: (adj.) Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning Athanasia never complained about her situation. She never felt like she had th...