Run For My Dreams

By Pillowlover123

Completed: Oct 2021 Whitebeard x OC Following my own plot! Nothing is canon, duh! I don't own one piece! More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 5

282 8 3
By Pillowlover123

No pov
Three days had come and gone and now it was time to leave to a new island. "Are we ready to set sail?" Newgate called down to a distracted Kairi. She had been staring at the town any chance she could get. "Kairi." Newgate called to her and she jumped slightly, "Uh, yes sir?" "Are we ready to set sail?" He asked her again and she gave him an uncomfortable look. "I know you are worried about the young boy but if he doesn't want to join, he doesn't have to." Newgate walked over to Kairi and placed his hands on her shoulders. She refused to meet his eyes, "I know, but I can't help but worry about him." She turned out of his grasp and went to check on the sails. She didn't want to be around anyone at the moment.
Newgate gave a sigh and glanced over to the island, they couldn't make the boy come with them. Slowly the Moby began to back away from the island known as Haven and drift towards the open water.
Kairi tried to busy herself with the steering and ignore the guilt that was settling in her stomach. "What is our next destination?" Newgate walked over to join her at the wheel, "We will be on open water for a few weeks."
"HEY! WAIT FOR ME!" a voice shouted from behind the ship and they both turned around to see Marco racing towards the ship as fast as his legs could carry him. "So he has decided." Newgate chuckled as he walked down the stairs and hurried over to set the ramp out so Marco could board the ship. Luckily for him they were still in shallow water so getting on board was fairly easy.
Kairi hurried over and pulled Marco into a tight hug "Ah! You made it! I was so worried!" "I can't breathe!" Marco grumbled and Kairi let go of him, "Oh, sorry." "And don't think I joined to be apart of your crew, I'm just tired of that stupid island!"  He jerked his thumb back at the island behind them as he glared at both of them. Newgate just chuckled softly "Welcome aboard son." "Don't call me that, I'm not your son." Marco snipped. "Well, no matter what your reason is for getting on this ship, you will not go another step without taking a bath, young man." Kairi interjected, pointing down to where the bath was located on the Moby. He looked like he was getting ready to argue with her but sucked in his breath, "Yes ma'am." He groaned and slowly made his way to the bath.
Kairi waited until Marco was out of earshot before she excitedly grabbed Newgate's hands, jumping slightly "Can you believe it? We have another member!" "Yes, we do." Newgate smiled "Why don't we celebrate?" "That's a great idea!" Kairi giggled lightly and leaned up to kiss Newgate's cheek before hurrying off to the kitchen to start a feast for the three of them. Newgate stared after her retreating form and carefully touched his cheek in shock, memories from their drunken night resurfacing. Marco returned after his bath and walked into the kitchen, following the wonderful smell of food. He stood in the doorway, watching Kairi dancing throughout the kitchen with different types of foods being set down on the table. "What's this?" He mumbled softly and jumped as Newgate replied, "It's a celebration." "A celebration?" He tilted his head in confusion, "Is it someone's birthday?" "Well it is a celebration-" Newgate started when Kairi squealed "It's for you! A welcoming party for joining the crew!" Marco glared at her "I didn't join your crew. I am running away from that terrible island." He stated in a huff as he crossed his arms over his chest. "But is this food really for me?" Shock didn't even begin to describe how he felt. It was stirred something deep within his chest and he made a slight face at the feeling. What was it? Was it because of these two? Or maybe it was just because he was really hungry?
"Are you sure?" He glanced over at them with uncertainty. Kairi giggled softly "Yes, all of this is for you. Eat as much as you want!" Marco walked over to the table and sat down slowly. Newgate walked over and took a seat at the head of the table, popping open a bottle of sake and taking a swig as Kairi finished cooking.
After a few minutes of peaceful silence, Marco sat back in his seat, "So why are you on this ship?" He was looking at Kairi. She turned to him, "Just the first mate." She shrugged her shoulders. "No, I mean if you are on a ship you must be running from something, right?"  Marco shook his head before rewording his question. Kairi stiffened slightly, she grabbed her drink to cover her lips as she took a sip. What was she supposed to tell this boy? Yes? That she was trying to escape a horrible past? Kairi just gave him another shrug, as she set down her glass. "No, not really. Just really love the ocean." The lie slipped through her mouth with ease.

After dinner Marco was sent off to bed as it was really late at night. He argued for a few minutes that he wasn't tired and that he didn't need a bedtime but eventually wandered off to look at his room. Kairi smiled softly when she walked by later to see that Marco was curled up comfortably in his own bed fast asleep. She walked to the front of the ship as it was her turn for night watch. She took in the peaceful sounds of the water gently lapping against the sides of the Moby as they sat in place. "It's so quiet." She walked forward, her bare feet carrying her to the bow of the ship, and stopped on the whale's head. "We're almost free, Moby." She patted a part of the ship, staring at the moon that gave off a warm glow. "We just need to be able to out run Uragirimono..."
"Kairi, there you are." Newgate's voice came from on the deck behind her and she turned to face him. "Is something wrong?" She jumped down and walked over to get closer to him. "Oh no," He shook his head no. "I was just checking in on you." "Oh, well there's nothing to report so..." She replied as she put some of her hair behind her ear, blushing lightly as she tried to make eye contact with anything but him. It was a little awkward between them as the silence set in before Newgate took a few steps forward, "I...uh...wanted to talk about earlier before the celebration." Kairi looked back at him and realized that he was talking about her kissing his  cheek, "Oh, I am so sorry, Captain. I was just excited..." Newgate just gave her a gentle smile, "I am not angry." Kairi's blush darkened, trying to figure a way to escape the conversation because she was a bit embarrassed. She was falling in love with her Captain, "I should probably continue my rounds..." She blurted out and then quickly excused herself. Newgate just watched her walk off, kicking himself for not talking about their drunk night.

The days seemed to just fly by on the ship. No matter how many times Marco looked behind the ship, it was always weird to think that he was no longer on the horrible island of Haven. Each night he went to bed with a full stomach and pleasant dreams. He could sleep without fear of being ganged up on by the other people that didn't like him. On the Moby, he made money from Newgate or Kairi by doing chores. He could buy things from new islands with his own money and he didn't have to share with anyone! That was weird, trying to adjust to just himself, no other kids to take what was his. He didn't understand why the ship was named after a whale when the ship looked nothing like a whale. He also didn't understand the two adults that lived on the ship with him. They seemed to be a couple but anytime he asked they got flustered and changed the subject. A few times they had crossed paths with other ships, either pirates or the Navy.
Kairi had made a name for herself among the pirates as Newgate's Siren with her singing voice which made them money when they desperately needed some. Sometimes they would meet up with the crew of Gol D. Roger, where the Captains would wrestle around while they traded goods with the bigger crew. They would also get warnings of Navy ships and which direction they were last seen moving. But one night while the Moby  was resting peacefully in calm waters, a Navy ship took the opportunity to attack the clueless pirates. The Navy men crept aboard silently. "This way." A man whispered to the group behind him, "Watch the boy, he has devil fruit powers." The leader creaked open a bedroom door that led into Marco's room. The young boy had drifted off to sleep hours ago and snored softly. The Navy crept into his room and working together, they had him in sea prism cuffs and a rag stuffed in his mouth so he couldn't alert the others. "Take him on deck, if attacked by Newgate or the Siren, throw him overboard." The leader spoke and the two men nodded before dragging Marco out by his shirt. Marco tried to fight back but he had never come in contact with this much sea prism before and he was far too weak. He groaned out when they sat him roughly against the ship wall. "Marco!" Newgate's shout broke the silence of the night and everyone aimed their guns as Newgate stopped at the entrance to the ship's deck.
"Stop right there! One more step and I throw the boy overboard!" The vice admiral shouted, gripping Marco by his shirt to prove his point. "Don't you dare hurt my son!" Newgate growled out but he didn't move an inch. "Where's the woman?" The vice called out when his men returned with no sign of her anywhere on the ship. Newgate gave a confused look. Kairi had been next to him when they sat down to speak of finances but in the rush couldn't remember if he saw her leave the room or not. "I don't know." He answered honestly. "Don't lie to me!" The vice yelled, smacking the butt of his gun into Marco's face, splitting the skin on the bridge of his nose. "Don't touch him!" Newgate took a menacing step forward and the Vice laughed, "Ah, ah, ah. Take another step and the boy will drown." "Vice admiral! The ship is on fire!" A voice cried out and they all turned to see the Navy ship had mysteriously caught fire. "Hurry! Put it out!" He barked back as the crew rushed to save their ship. Newgate crashed into the men in his way and rushed to get to his son that was trapped. The Vice and Newgate clashed into a ferocious battle, leaving the Moby creaking and groaning in pain as they smashed through the ship. The Navy hurried to try to put out the fire as a rainstorm began to pour down on them; with the darkening sky it made it impossible to see clearly. The lightning cut through the sky as the thunder screamed out seemingly deafening everyone briefly. Marco squinted in the light, provided by the raging ship fire, trying to see who was running in his direction. It was Kairi!
She pulled him close after she removed the gag from his mouth, "Are you hurt?" Looking him over and took in his bleeding nose and the bruises forming around his eyes. "New-" Marco started when she cut him off "Edward will be fine! We have to get away from the Navy ship before we catch fire too!" She hollered over the thunder. "It's too late!" He gestured with his head to the fire that had caught onto the Moby's mast and began to burn the sails. Kairi made a face "Stay here! I'm going to find the keys for your cuffs!" She pushed him against the wall to keep him safe before she raced off to find the keys. Marco started to shiver as the rain was freezing and the ocean was bashing the ship back and forth like a small toy in a giant tub. It was the first time he felt fear on the Moby that had been turned into his home.

He didn't know how long he sat there until Kairi came back, shaking slightly; making the keys in her hands jingle softly. "Just hold on." She muttered as she pulled him close to her again and began to unlock his cuffs.
"WE'RE GOING TO SINK!"
A shriek came from nearby and Kairi pulled Marco to his feet. He rubbed his wrists from the tight cuffs and stumbled when Kairi pushed him out of the way of an attack. Marco glanced back, "KAIRI!!" He yelled out as a solider had stabbed her straight through her torso with his sword. "Marco," Kairi winced as she grabbed the soldier by the neck, blood dripping from her mouth, "Just run, okay? Run!" Her voice was shrill and the rough winds made it hard to hear her.
The water smashed against the side of the ship and Marco stumbled his way towards Newgate but ultimately fell over as the Moby gave way to the powerful ocean waves.
Newgate saw him fall in and dove in after him.

Marco sat up with a start, rolling over to cough up the water he had swallowed. "Easy son." Newgate patted his back gentle. "Are you alright?" Marco looked up at the old man, the brokenness in his eyes made Marco's heart sink and his stomach knot. "Kairi-?" Newgate didn't have to say a word for Marco to understand that she had drowned after both ships had sank in the storm. A few hours went by and Newgate had disappeared into the wooded area to search for food leaving Marco to build a fire on the shore. He glared at the flames before he turned to the ocean "How dare you!" The young boy screamed "You take away my ability to swim, cursing me with this Phoenix power and now you take away my mother!" He kicked a rock and then tried to brush away the tears that streaming down his face.
He wasn't a kid anymore.
He was 15 and men don't cry.
Newgate listened quietly from the forest. It was the first time Marco had ever called Kairi his mother. He was convinced that it would never happen due to the young boy losing his biological parents at such a young age. Newgate sucked in a breath and quietly made his way over to the fire, beginning to cook the meal he had caught for the two of them. "Come and sit boy." He stated a bit more sternly than he had meant. Marco turned to Newgate, the look of utter defeat written all over his face. He didn't know what to say as he made his way to the fire and sat on the opposite side of Newgate. Newgate took off his coat and gave it to Marco "Here, or you'll catch cold." Marco stared at the fire "...did the vice admiral drown...?" Newgate looked at him, "I do not know who all survived the battle." "...she didn't deserve to die..." Marco covered his face "If I had just stayed on Haven then none of this would have happened. She wouldn't have died protecting me." He sobbed into his hands, "This is all my fault!" "Son," Newgate called to him, placing his hand on his shoulder "Look at me." The young boy glanced up, sniffling. "It was not your fault. She died doing what any mother would do, protecting her child." At those meaningful words, Marco scooted over to Newgate's side and began to sob against him "Why did she have to die, Father?" Newgate held him close, comforting him to the best of his ability, "It was her time Son."
The next several days were spent in that tiny rowboat as the two tried to figure out where they were. It was a tiring journey that only brought them closer together.
"Marco," Newgate muttered as he shook the young boy's shoulder, awakening him from his sleep. "Look." He pointed into the distance and there before them was giant island of Water 7, home of the shipwrights. "An island!" Marco perked up in the little rowboat, he was ready to set his foot on dry land again. "Easy son." Newgate gave him a gentle smile as he began to change their direction towards the island. Once on dry land, Marco wandered around the city shops, trying to figure out what to buy and eat with what little money he could fish out of his pocket. Newgate went to see if he could find any connections on the island to lend them a helping hand.

Evening came and Marco glanced at his father, "How did we manage to get this room?" He gestured to the nice room of the hotel that they walked into. "I have a friend who owes me a few favors." Newgate stated bluntly as he took a seat on one bed. His large body sinking slowly as the bed adjusted to his weight. He closed his eyes briefly and Marco noticed a certain exhaustion settle over both of them, the last several weeks had been impossibly difficult. After one Navy attack they lost not only their floating home but also a dear member of their crew. Marco shuffled over to the window to gaze out at the beautiful sleeping city, "Mother would sure like this view, wouldn't she?" His voice cracked as he swiftly wiped away the stray tears. Her death loomed heavily over both of them. Would they have time to mourn? "Get some rest Marco, we won't be staying too long." Newgate's voice pulled Marco from his depressing thoughts and he turned to face his father, "Where do we go from here?" He didn't want to ride in that stupidly small rowboat any longer. But Newgate didn't answer him, just laying down to sleep. Marco walked over to the other bed and laid down. The softness felt nice against his aching back and he closed his eyes. When Marco woke, his room was empty. Newgate had disappeared but left a small note and enough berri for Marco to wander around and buy himself breakfast. Around lunch time, Marco wandered around town following the sounds of the shipwrights working hard on their projects. He walked over to see what they were building and in the distance he could see his father speaking with the lead builder. He couldn't hear them but Newgate was gesturing to something in his hand and then to the ship that was beginning to be built. How they could afford a ship was beyond Marco. Maybe his father had connections in high places?

On a random island somewhere, Kairi gasped for air as she crawled up the sandy shore, coughing up whatever water was in her lungs. She glanced back at the ocean, washing away her trail of blood. "...what happened..." She was weak from her sword wound. She thought hard about it, the last thing she remembers was tossed into the water and being drown like a rat caught in a trap and somehow she managed to grab a piece of driftwood. "I just hope that Edward and Marco survived."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 424 30
Marco x luffy
7.1K 125 21
"People only think of you as a monster because they're scared." I could only look at her in dismay.⌫ Henlo! This is one of my first stories and I got...
635 20 18
One Piece Fanfiction! Nothing canon, duh! I don't own One Piece either Do you believe in love at first sight? Started: September 2021 Ended: June 2022
59.3K 1.4K 19
Not only Coby, Hancock, and Bartolomeo who fans over Luffy,it turns out that also some people secretly fans over Luffy! warning: OOC Bad grammars Bxb...