Sound of Surviving

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Nevaeh and her family are transported to another world. One is cursed to forget and two are cursed to remembe... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Hatter Family Season One
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Hatter Family Season Two
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
Hatter Family Season Three
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
Hatter Family Season Four
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
Hatter Family Season Five
89
90

15

243 10 2
By TheQuietHufflepuff

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Emma and David were sitting in Emma's office at the station. She handed him a mug of tea.

"Thank you," David replied. "I hope Kathryn's somewhere warm, not out in the cold."

Emma looked at him. "David. I think you need to start worrying about yourself a little bit more here. Your wife is missing. You are in love with another woman. There's this... Unexplained phone call."

"I know, I know. I just... I can't explain why it says that. I didn't do anything to my wife."

"I'm pretty good at spotting a liar. And, honestly, liars have better material. Now, go home."

"I can go?"

"We don't even know if there was a crime yet. So, get some sleep."

"Thank you." He stood up to leave.

"And, David? Maybe... Get a lawyer."

GRANNY'S DINER

Ruby was flirting with August, who was sitting at one of the tables. "You can't be serious. A whole year without a roof over your head?"

"Well, you get used to it," August replied. "Plus, I had the motorcycle. So, if I didn't like a place after awhile..."

Granny called for Ruby, but the latter ignored her. "Ruby?"

"I've never been out of Storybrooke," Ruby admitted. "What was your favorite place?"

"Nepal," August answered. "Best people. They have these prayer temples carved into mountains that are overrun with lemurs."

"What's a lemur?"

"Ruby!" Granny yelled.

"Just give me a sec!"

"They're little animals. And they have these eyes that reflect light. So, at night, it looks like they glow," August explained.

"Ruby!" Granny called again. "Stop flirting and get over here!"

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Peter knocked on the shutter of Red and Granny's cottage. Red, imitating the voice of an old woman, called out from inside.

"Who's there?" Red asked.

"Let me in," Peter replied.

"I'm just a poor, old widow. Spare me!"

"Let me in, or I'll..."

"Yes?"

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow the-"

Red opened the shutters. "You'll huff and puff?"

"I couldn't think of nothing."

"Oh, so you thought that you'd level the house with the power of your breath? Well, a case could be made..."

"Oh, ho ho-"

"Shh! Granny's in the other room. You know she doesn't like me opening the shutters."

"No, she doesn't like me."

"That's what I meant."

"You got to get out of here."

"I know. Anywhere."

"Well, a blacksmith's boy can get work all over."

"You'd leave everyone you know? You'd do that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you."

"Peter, watch out. Your air of danger is slipping."

"Come out – just for a minute."

"It's already dark. She'd never let me." Granny yelled for Red. Red tried to go back in, but Peter held onto her wrist.

"Red!" Granny called. "Where are you? What are you doing?"

"Let go."

"Pay the price." Peter said. "One kiss."

"Red, get in here!" Granny yelled.

Red quickly kissed Peter and shut the shutters. She went into the main room, where several men with torches were talking to Granny.

"What's going on?" Red asked.

"Nothing that concerns you," Granny replied. :Just a bunch of fools trying to get themselves killed over a few dead sheep."

"Wolf took out a dozen last night," the man informed.

"So, you called me in here to what? Just to keep me in sight?" Red wondered.

"Good evening, Red. We're just forming up a hunting party."

"You're hunting the wolf? Can I go with them, please? I'll be safe in a big group."

"Don't be ludicrous," Granny said. "You are staying inside and you're keeping that hood on. You know red repels wolves."

"They're not wearing red."

"They're damn fools, too. There's only two more nights left in Wolfstime – let it take a few sheep. Now, go home." Granny shut the door in their faces.

"I hope they kill the wolf. Then, we can have lives again."

"You just want to roam around the woods with that wastrel – Peter."

"He's not a wastrel. He works hard. He has plans."

"Oh, I am sure he does. Now, come on. You know what to do." Granny and Red prepared the cottage for defense against the wolf. They barricaded and locked the doors and windows, as well as barring the fireplace. "Now, go to sleep, girl."

"Yes, Granny."

"I hope I don't see that boy mooning around here tomorrow. And wear the hood!"

"Yes, Granny." Red went into her room, while Granny sat facing the door with a crossbow.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Ruby made her way to the counter. "I can't believe you did that. That was humiliating."

"I want you to start working Saturday nights."

"Come on -- we have an agreement about Saturday night."

"I want to start training you to do the books and the reorders. Business is booming lately, and, with more money, comes more paperwork."

"Yeah. None of that sounds good."

"It's got to be done."

"Is this a punishment for talking to that guy?"

"If I wanted to punish you, I'd have better reasons. For one thing, you were late. For another thing, Liza, you dress like a drag queen during Fleet Week."

"And you dress like Norman Bates when he dresses like Norman Bates' mother."

"Ruby, you're a grown woman. You can't keep acting like some kid."

"You just want me to act like you until I turn into you. Well, I am not a fossil yet, Granny. I should be out there having adventures with lemurs!"

"Well, as long as you work here, you are going to listen to me."

"I didn't ask to work here."

"Well, then what's keeping ya?"

"Nothing! I quit!" Ruby stormed out of the diner.

Nevaeh smirked lightly. The entire argument had amused her; not that she'd tell them. She swallowed a wave of nausea and tried to ignore it.

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Ruby left her room and found Granny still guarding the front door. "Did you get any sleep at all last night?"

"I'll sleep with the trolls in the afterlife," Granny replied. "I'll get the shutters. You go check if that wolf left the chickens alone."

"Yes, Granny."

"Wear your hood!"

---

Red was collecting eggs in the chicken coop. When she went to leave, she heard a noise coming from the corner. Snow White, who was holding two eggs, showed herself.

"I'm sorry," Snow White apologized. "I can go."

"Are you.. stealing our eggs?" Red asked.

"No. ...Not a lot."

"Hey, hey. It's... It's all right."

"Thank you. It was just that, um, last night... There was something out there. There was howling, and... I heard it. And it was so cold, so..."

"Hey. Come on – come with me. Everyone calls me Red."

"I'm Sn- Frosty."

"Frosty? Really?"

"No. It's just that someone's looking for me, so..."

"You don't know or trust me yet. Hey, I-I get it. I just need something to call you."

"Uh, Margaret. Oh, no. Uh, Mary."

"Mary. Well, then, Mary – come on." Snow White followed Red out of the chicken coop and into the forest. They headed towards a well. "I just got to bring in some water before we go in. It'll just take a second."

"What was all that howling?"

"It's Wolfstime. Killer wolf out there. As big as a pony, but a lot more bloodthirsty. It's been stalking the area pretty regular. It kills cattle and... Hang on." Red grabbed the rope of the bucket in the well. "It sticks sometimes. Could you just..." Snow White helped Red pull up the bucket. When she turned around, she seemed shocked by what she saw. "Look. Look at that. Mary, look at the water." The water in the bucket was red. "Mary. Mary. Mary?" Red turned around and saw what Snow White was staring at. Behind them in the clearing were several bloody bodies.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Mary Margaret, followed by Nevaeh, ran to catch up with Emma on the street and they walked together.

"Is he okay?" Mary Margaret asked. "David?"

Emma nodded. "Oh, yeah. He's a little shaken up, but he's headed home. He's fine."

"Any word from Kathryn?"

"Nothing new."

"Did you check with Boston again?"

"She's not there, Mary Margaret."

"So, we have no idea what happened to her?"

"All we know, is that she found out about you two, gave you a well-deserved slap, and then disappeared."

"Well-deserved? Do you really believe that?"

"No. I'm just preparing you for what everyone else is going to think. You two are going to look bad until we figure the truth out."

"You mean David? Th-That people are going to think in order to... Be free with me..."

"Some are. And, he's not doing himself any favors. So, if there's anything you could think of to pin down his whereabouts that night-"

"He wasn't with me. We really are though."

They came across Ruby, who was waiting at a bus stop, and Dr. Whale, who was talking to her.

"Sorry," Ruby said. "No, don't need a ride."

"It's awfully cold out here," Dr. Whale told her.

"I'm fine -- really."

"I can carry your bag. Where are you headed?"

"Dr. Whale?" Mary Margaret called.

Dr. Whale turned. "Mary Margaret. Emma. Ma'am. Hello there."

"Hey."

"I was just having a talk with Ruby here. But, I should, um..."

Emma nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, you should."

"Yeah..." He left.

"Was he bothering you?" Mary Margaret asked Ruby.

"The day I can't handle a leech is the day I leave town. Which this is, I guess."

"You're leaving?" Emma and Nevaeh questioned.

"I had a fight with Granny. Quit my job."

"You quit?" Mary Margaret repeated. "Where are you going?"

"I don't know. Away."

"Yeah, well, buses out of town don't really happen," Emma said. "And, you might want a destination first."

"Hey, if you need a place to figure things out, you could always come with us," Mary Margaret offered.

"Yeah, uh. Yeah. Just for a little while."

"Come on."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

All of the village's citizens were gathered at the tavern. One of the men who was with the hunting party spoke to the group.

"The one thing I know, is that last night, was the very last massacre," the man said and everyone cheered. "You know, if I had stayed with that party for another ten minutes, I, too, would be among the dead." Granny, Red, and a disguised Snow White entered. "And, when I think if I'd only doubled back, maybe... I could've caught it in the act. Maybe, I would've been able to slay the creature."

"You would not," Granny told him.

"Widow Lucas."

"This creature is more powerful than you can imagine. You wouldn't have a chance. Stay inside, hide your children, forget your livestock."

"You said all this before."

"But, I haven't said how I know. Nearly threescore years ago, I was a child with six older brothers. Big as oak trees, all of them veterans of the Second Ogres War. And my father, the biggest of them all. Come one Wolfstime, he decided to go out and take on the wolf. A different wolf back then, of course, but just as fearsome. They went out there to protect me. I was supposed to be asleep, but I crawled out on the roof to watch and lay down in the thatch. They had the beast surrounded, the seven of them, with spears all pointed in at it. And then it started. It was lunging – not at the men, at the spears. Grabbing with its teeth, breaking the shafts. They stabbed it with the splintered end, but it didn't matter. It tore their throats so fast, that not a one of them got a chance to scream... Or pray... Or say goodbye. When my father died, I tumbled from the roof, and I landed in the blood in front of the wolf. I felt its breath on my face. Then, it clamped its hot jaw on my arm, and I rolled away." She pulled back her sleeve, revealing several large, parallel scars. "Then, it looked at me with eyes so black, they weren't even there. Then, it walked away. You ever see a wild animal just turn its back and walk away like you don't matter? If this wolf is like that one, there is no defeating it. It's already won just by existing in our world. You don't kill it – you just hide."

---

Red and Snow White were sitting by the fireplace at the cottage.

"So, your Granny's kind of intense," Snow White said.

"Yeah, a bit," Red agreed. "I feel like a rat in a trap."

"Is this trap keeping you from... being with someone?"

"How did you know?"

"Well, I saw some looks exchanged back there, and, I hate to break it to you, but it wasn't subtle."

"Yes. Peter. We've been friends forever, but... Now things are... Well, changing."

"That must be nice."

"Do you have someone?"

"Oh, no. I'm not sure that's in my future. You're lucky, Red."

"I know. And we're talking about going away together. But I don't even get any time with him. Granny's too afraid of the wolf to let me out alone. You saw what the wolf did. Sometimes, I wonder if she's right."

"Oh, she's right about the wolf. But, she's wrong to use it to keep you from love."

"You think that's what she's doing? Let's kill the wolf."

"Hang on."

"We'd be heroes."

"Red, teams of trained hunters have been killed."

"But they go at night when it's got the advantage. If we went now, we could find it slumbering in its den and kill it in its sleep. Come on."

"Red, I don't know."

"I'm going – with or without you. But, you're right – I can't let her keep me trapped forever."

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Later, Mary Margaret drove her car along the road out of Storybrooke and pulled over just before she reached the sign. She got out and went into the woods. A short ways into the woods, she heard a rustling sound. David appeared through the brush.

Mary Margaret gasped. "I-it's you. You okay? You're looking for Kathryn, too?"

David nodded. "I'm looking."

"She knows you didn't do anything. Emma, I mean. She can tell when people are lying, so... She knows. And I'll stand with you. I'll tell everyone this isn't possible. She's going to turn up somewhere. That's why we're out here, right?"

"I'm looking," David said again.

Mary Margaret noticed he wasn't all there. "David?"

He began wandering back into the woods. She yelled to him, but he didn't seem to hear her.

"David? David!"

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Snow White and Red were searching for tracks in the forest.

"What about that?" Snow White asked.

"That's a dog," Red replied. "See how small that is? Don't look where the snow's drifted – it covers tracks."

"Hey. Over here."

"That... is a rabbit. What we're looking for will be huge. Like a dog print, but big. Like, eight inches across with big, long claws."

"Like these?" There was a trail of massive paw prints leading through the forest.

"Yes. And those. Oh, my gods. How big is this thing?"

"This was one stride? From here... To there?"

"Come on – over there. Through the brush, and off towards the hill."

"You're good at this."

"When there's something I want, I'm good at tracking it down."

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Henry was at the station helping Ruby find a job on the internet. He'd recruited help from Scarlet. Ruby was sitting next to him while the phone on the desk kept ringing.

"Want to be a bike messenger?" Henry asked.

"Bike messenger?" Ruby repeated.

"That's about taking things to people in a little basket."

"Nope. Yeah, see, I'm not so great at bike riding."

"How about taking things on foot, to people, in a little basket?"

"I'm not so sure that's a real job."

Scarlet chuckled softly. "It does sound fake."

The phone rang again and Ruby asked, "Why do the phones keep doing that?"

"Oh, the non-emergency calls go to a machine when Emma's busy," Henry explained.

The phone rang again and Ruby answered. "Sheriff's station. How can I help you? Mmhmm. I get her to return. Thank you, too."

She answered another call. "Sheriff's station. Hey, Miss Ginger. Uh, no, that's not a prowler. That's Archie's dog -- Pongo. Throw him a vanilla wafer. He'll quiet down. Did you still want to talk to Emma? Great. Glad I could help."

Emma walked in and asked, "How's it going, you three?"

"Great. Except I can't do anything."

"I'm sure that's not true. I just saw you on the phone. That was good."

"That? That's nothing."

"No. No, it isn't. I actually have some money in the budget if you want to help out around here."

"Yes! Thank you! Yes. Um, I could answer phones and help out. Um, is there anything else that you need done? Organize files, cleaning up? Please -- I want to be useful."

"I'm swamped with the Kathryn Nolan thing. If you maybe want to grab us lunch, I would never say no to a grilled cheese."

"Done. You want anything?" Ruby turned to Henry and Scarlet.

Henry thought for a moment. "Um, two chocolate chip cookies, an apple pie, and a hot dog."

Scarlet shook her head. "I'm all right. Thank you."

Emma frowned a little. "He ate at school."

As Ruby went to leave, Mary Margaret and Nevaeh entered.

"Hey!" Ruby cried. "Lunch, Mary Margaret, Miss? I'm getting for everyone."

Mary Margaret shook her head. "Uh, no. I'm not hungry."

Nevaeh shook her head. "No thank you."

Ruby left the station.

"David's in the woods," Mary Margaret said. "There's something wrong with him. He looked right through me. It's like... It's like he was a different person."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Red and Snow White were still tracking the wolf through the forest.

"Here's another one," Snow White said.

"Right. And then here's..." Red trailed, looking down, and noticed that the tracks no longer resembled just paw prints.

"What?"

"This print – it looks like it's.. Half-wolf and half-boot. See?"

"Wolves don't wear boots."

"No, they don't."

"Then it just continues like it was a man?"

"Like it was a man and a wolf."

"Red, what kind of monster is this?" The two of them continued to follow the tracks.

"So..."

"Yeah?"

"Wolfstime is once a month on the full moon. There's a story I heard once about a creature-"

"Hey. Aren't we awfully close to the cottage?" They saw the tracks led to the side window of Red and Granny's cottage. "Who's gone to your window, Red? Is it Peter? Red, has he been at your window?"

"Last night – before the killings. And he never joined the guys to hunt the wolf."

"But I'm sure he wouldn't have killed them."

"He wouldn't. But when the wolf takes over..."

"What about tonight's hunting party?"

"They're going to kill him. Or he's going to kill them."

"It doesn't have to be that way."

"What can we do?"

"Tell him. If he doesn't know, tell him. Stop him. If he'll listen to anyone, if he'll believe anyone, it's you."

"You think I can save him?"

"I think you can save everyone."

"It's going to be dark soon. Granny will be out of her mind with worry if we're not home. She'll go out there. Mary, this is so bad."

"So do something."

"You're right. I have to."

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Ruby entered Granny's Diner and walked up to the counter to order. "I need a couple grilled cheeses. I'm working over at the sheriff's station now."

"Ah," Granny noted.

"Sort of like a... Like a Deputy, you know? I guess sometimes, your fate finds you."

"Seems kind of like you're doing the same thing you always done."

"Plus so much more."

"Those will be right up."

"Yeah."

"Tony has to unwrap the cheese slices."

"I help solve crimes."

"I'm sure you do. I hope you're finding what you're looking for."

"I am."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Red and Peter were sitting by a fire in the forest.

"You think this wolfman is me?" Peter asked. "Red, you know me."

"I know it's not you, really, but I think it's using your body," Red replied.

"Wouldn't I know? I mean, wouldn't I wake up in the woods? Wouldn't I remember something?"

"Maybe. Maybe, it makes you forget."

"Oh, my gods. Those men – they died. If I did that..."

"Forget the past. Think of the future. We can go now, Peter. Have lives. All we need to do is tie you up during the Wolfstime, and I know where to get rope."

"No. Not rope." He picked up a chain off of the ground.

"Chains."

"Just in case... Just in case you're right. I'll show you how to rig it up so that I can't get out. And then you need to get away from me."

"No. I'm staying with you. I'll stay with you all night, and for all the nights to come."

"You'd do that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you."

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Emma was getting ready to leave while Henry hid his book. "Okay, kid. Don't mean to kick you out, but I got to see if David's in some kind of trouble out there."

"It's okay," Henry said. "I'm supposed to meet my mom." He locked the book in one of the desk drawers. "There."

Emma smiled. "Nice."

"You know, you can let Ruby do more. She's Little Red Riding Hood. I'm not sure who Scarlet is yet or the lady who keeps hanging out with you."

"With the little basket? Yeah, she seems like a badass. I'm not sure who they are either."

"She is. She just doesn't remember how cool she is or what she's capable of. But it's true."

Ruby came back with the food as Henry was leaving.

"Hey, Ruby."

"Hey, Henry." She looked at Emma. "Got your grilled cheese."

"Thank you," Emma replied, looking at Ruby. "You all right?"

"I guess," Ruby answered. "I mean, this is something I know how to do. So, yay."

"Okay, let's pack these back up, and we can eat it in the car. I need to do a little wilderness search, and I need your help."

"I'm pretty sure I'm just going to screw it up. I mean, I'll screw it up with flair, but..."

Nevaeh shook her head. "No, you won't. Come on -- you can do this. I believe in you, and belief goes a long way."

Scarlet gave a small wave. "My apologies, but I've got to get back to my store. You all enjoy whatever you're up to." She walked away.

---

They made their way to the woods and began searching.

"This place is massive," Ruby stated. "How are we supposed to find one guy?"

"Hey, shh," Emma told her. "We might be able to hear him."

"It's massive."

"I'm following the path because there are boot prints, so just stay close."

"I shouldn't even be here. I'm just going to screw everything up. Oh, wait." She stopped walking and Emma bumped into her.

"Ruby?"

"I hear him."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really. I hear him or... something. I... I know where he is. Don't you?" She took off through the woods.

"No. What are you doing?"

"He's over here!"

Emma and Nevaeh followed her. "Ruby! Ruby?"

They found Ruby standing over a bleeding and unconscious David. They knelt next to him and tried to shake him awake.

"David?" Emma called. "Oh, God. Come on! David, come on! Wake up! David, wake up!"

David woke up. "Emma? Miss? What? Ruby?"

"Do you remember where you are?"

"No, I..." He looked around the forest. "What the hell? I was... I was in your office. Did you bring me here?"

"You don't remember anything since you were in my office? Last night?"

"No, I don't."

Emma took David to the hospital and he was treated by Dr. Whale.

"Well, he's bruised, scratched up, a little dehydrated. What'd you expect," Dr. Whale said.

"He's got a cut on his head," Emma pointed out.

"It's superficial. I can refer him to Dr. Hopper for a mental health eval, but, it's my opinion, that whatever caused this blackout, is the same phenomenon we observed when he came out of his coma. Moving around, acting out, not remembering it later."

"We will figure it out."

David frowned. "It's so strange. I can't even believe it happened."

"How functional could he be during one of these episodes? I mean, he talked to someone."

Dr. Whale shrugged. "Well, people in similar states, even under sleep medication, do all sorts of things. Cooking, talking, driving a car."

"You want to know if I could've made that call," David realized. "Or more. You... You want to know if I could've... What, kidnapped her? Killed her?"

"Now, take it easy there. No one's saying you did anything bad, David."

"No, but it would explain why it didn't seem like I was lying. I wouldn't know."

Regina quickly came into the room. "Stop talking, David. What are you doing here? Why doesn't this man have a lawyer present? Have you read him his rights?"

"No, because he's not under arrest," Emma replied. "We're just talking."

"Right. Just talking."

"What are you doing here?" Nevaeh demanded.

"Mayor Mills is still Mr. Nolan's emergency contact," Dr. Whale told her.

"You have to be kidding me," Emma muttered.

"I thought that changed to Kathryn?" David questioned.

"Well, Kathryn's currently unavailable," Regina said. "Some people haven't found her yet. Stop trying to place blame and just find her."

"There's a whole lot of Maine to search, Regina," Emma replied.

"Well, you covered this room. I suggest you branch out."

Ruby answered a call at the station. "Sheriff's station, thank you for calling. How may I direct your-"

Emma cut her off. "Hey, stop. It's me. Here's the thing -- the last time David went for a dream walk, he went to the Toll Bridge. You know the one? It's a crazy hunch, but I want you to take my bug and go and see if he was there."

"No, I could get somebody else to."

"Ruby, you were great out there. I still don't know how you found him. You can do this."

"I don't know."

"It's going to be dark out soon. David's going to be let out. If there is something there, we've got to get there first. We don't have time to argue. Can you do this?"

---

Ruby drove Emma's bug to the Toll Bridge. She got out, still on the phone with Emma.

"I mean, what am I even looking for?"

"Anything out of the ordinary. Something that doesn't belong there."

Ruby headed towards the bank of the river flowing under the bridge. "And... if I find something?"

"Just follow your instincts."

Ruby found a board near the water. She flipped it over, revealing a patch of sand under it. She put Emma on speaker and placed the phone on a nearby rock. Ruby grabbed a stick and began digging until she hit something hard. She brushed the sand away, revealing a small jewelry box.

"You... can't give me a clue what I'm looking for?"

"Anything of Kathryn's."

Ruby lifted up the jewelry box.

"Ruby? What's going on? Did you find something?"

Ruby opened the box and dropped it and screamed.

"Ruby? Ruby?"

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Snow White, who was wearing Red's hood, pretended to be asleep in Red's room. Granny entered and approached the bed.

"Where's Mary?" Granny questioned. "Come on, girl – wake up. We best bar the door. If Mary's not back by now, she'll have to take her chances." Granny pulled back the hood and discovered it was Snow White.

"She's in no danger," Snow White said.

"What have you done?"

"No, it's okay. It's all right. It's fine."

"Where is she?"

"She's... Well, she's with Peter. And I know that you don't like him, but that's really beside the point."

"You stupid, careless, ridiculous girl."

"No. You don't understand. Peter isn't... This is going to be difficult to accept. You just have to trust me. He's the wolf."

"You think Peter is the wolf?"

"Yes. This terrible creature is also human. It's okay, though. He won't hurt her. She's got him tied up."

"He's tied up? Oh, that poor boy."

---

Peter was chained to a tree in the woods. He struggled against the chains, while growling was heard in the background. "Red, no. Red! It's me. Don't! Don't!" Red, who had transformed into a snarling wolf, approached him. "Please! Red! No! Red! No! Red! Red, No!" The wolf lunged at Peter.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT - STATION

Emma, Nevaeh and Ruby stared at the open jewelry box that was sitting on the desk.

"Is... Is that what I think it is?" Ruby asked nervously.

Emma nodded. "Yeah."

"I can't look." Ruby turned around and Emma shut the lid of the box.

"You okay?"

"I don't know what I am."

"It's going to be all right. We can figure out what happened now. Ruby, you did good."

"This, is doing good?"

"Yeah. It's amazing. First, you found David, and now, this. I know you say you don't know what you are, but, whatever it is, I got to say, I'm impressed."

"Don't be. I'm... I'm scared out of my mind."

"But you did it anyway," Nevaeh told her with a light smile. Her smile turned to a frown and she instantly covered her mouth.

Emma turned to her and asked, "Are you okay?"

Nevaeh nodded. "Never better. Something just isn't sitting well with me. I suspect it's that human heart."

Emma stared at her suspiciously. "Uh-huh. Sure. Have you thought maybe it's an alternative?"

"Such as?"

"Maybe you should see a doctor or something."

Nevaeh scoffed. "I am not going to see Dr. Whale. But you make a good point. Thank you."

As Nevaeh darted off, Emma said, "You're welcome."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Granny and Snow White wrere walking through the forest to find Peter and Red.

"You knew?" Snow White asked.

"Of course I knew," Granny answered. "Her mother was one, too, before a hunting party killed her. I thought maybe Red didn't get it, but when she was thirteen, it started. I paid a wizard for that cloak – keeps her from turning. But, she doesn't wear it, and she's found some way out of the house."

"Why didn't you tell her?"

"I didn't want her to have that burden. It's a terrible burden."

"That story you told..."

"That was her grandfather. He marked me that night. Then came back, found me, turned me."

"Turned you... You're... Granny? How are you tracking her?"

"By smell. I still have that, even though the rest of it has faded away. Gods, I was a fool to think I could keep this from her. I am a fool and I have cost so many lives."

"But you didn't mean to. That's the main thing."

"Is it?" Granny handed the lantern to Snow White, and then took out a crossbow. "Here – a silver-tipped arrow will drop her."

"Oh-"

"Shh! Follow me. We're approaching from downwind, so we have a chance."

The two of them slowly edged their way down the incline, until they reached Red and Peter. Red, still in wolf form, was devouring Peter. Granny accidentally stepped on a stick. The noise caused the wolf to turn around. The wolf lunged at the two of them, but Granny shot it, dropping it to the ground in front of them.

"Cloak!" Granny yelled and Snow White hand Granny the cloak, which she threw over the wolf. A wave of magic surged through the cloak. Snow White noticed that Peter was dead. "It's too late. He's gone."

Red, now in human form, arose but was disorientated. "Who's gone?"

"Get up, girl. Get ready to run."

"What's going on?"

"Come on, Red," Snow White said.

The hunting party was heard shouting in the background.

"Don't you hear them?" Granny questioned.

"We have to go," Snow White told her new friend.

"Go?" Red repeated. "I don't understand."

"No, I'll explain it later. We must hurry."

"What? I'm confused. What's happened? Where's Peter?"

"He wasn't the wolf."

"Granny?"

"I was wrong to keep it from you," Granny said. "But, now, you have to go. Red. Go." The shouting got louder, and the torches of the hunting party shined through the trees.

"It's me? Oh, gods, it's... It's me."

"Red, go."

"I don't want to go like this."

"You have to."

"No, no, no, no..."

"It's okay," Snow White reassured. "It's going to be okay."

"Mary, there's no time," Granny warned.

"I know. I'll get her out of here."

Supporting Red on her shoulder, Snow White led the two of them to the woods. Granny stayed behind as the hunting party arrived.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Ruby entered the diner to see Granny at the counter.

"You look good," Granny said.

"Thanks," Ruby replied.

"Want something for the Sheriff?"

"No."

"Ah..." Granny grabbed her arm in pain.

"Your arm okay?"

"Same as it is every full moon."

Granny had the same scars from a wolf attack in the fairy tale world. "What are you doing here, Ruby? You here to tell me more about your fine new job?"

"I want to come back," Ruby said.

"Why? You were pretty mad."

"I wasn't mad."

"Looked a little mad from here."

"Mmhmm, yeah. Here's the thing -- um... You were talking about having me do all this stuff, and I... wasn't sure. I-I said that, you wanted me to turn into you, but... What I meant was, I don't know how to be you. You're a tough act to follow."

"Oh."

"And then you wanted me to take on all this extra responsibility, and I... Guess I just got scared."

"Don't be. You shouldn't be."

"Well, I am. But, it's okay. I can do it anyway. I sort of found someone in myself that was more than I expected."

"What about adventure? What about lemurs?"

"Emma was my lemur. Did that, found out I could do that, and also that I don't want to. I don't want a job where a good day means ruining someone's life. I want to do something that makes me happy. Somewhere I love."

"Look -- just so you know, I wanted to do the books and everything, so you could take over when I retire. Own the whole place."

"Own it?"

"Sure. I mean, who else would I give it to but someone who loves me back?"

They hugged and Granny smiled. "Proud of you."

"What was that?" Ruby asked.

"You heard me."

---

Mary Margaret and David were at the animal shelter.

"David, it's going to be okay," Mary Margaret reassured.

"Really?" David retorted. "How do you know that? Because, I honestly can't say anything about my actions anymore."

"Well, there has to be an explanation."

"You're right. But the problem is, I don't think it's a good one."

Emma entered and David turned to her. "What is it? Did you find her?"

"We find a box," Emma replied.

"Wait... Wait... What does that mean?"

"We think it... We think that she..."

"What?"

"There was a human heart inside it."

"Oh, my God," Mary Margaret gasped.

David broke down in tears. "No. No."

"We're going to send it out for some tests, but there aren't any other missing people," Emma told them.

"Maybe you should go," Mary Margaret suggested.

"There's more."

"What?" David wondered.

"There were fingerprints inside the lid of the box. I ran them through the records of everyone in town, and there was a match."

David held his hands up. "Arrest me."

"No, David!" Mary Margaret replied.

"Arrest me, Emma. Do it!"

"David, the fingerprints weren't yours," Emma said.

"What?"

"They were Mary Margaret's."

Nevaeh snuck away and made her way to her house after running to the store for a quick errand.

INT. MANSION

As she entered, her husband, hearing her, left the room with the telescope and smiled, then frowned. "Veah? What's wrong?"

"The Evil Queen is up to something."

"Yes, we've clarified that. But I'm guessing you're talking about something else. Care to enlighten me, my dear?"

"Emma found Mary Margaret's prints on a box containing a human heart. Possibly Kathryn's."

"Are you sure?"

"I was there myself. If this is murder, the Queen is once again up to her nefarious ways." She winced slightly as she held onto the wall.

"Veah, what is it? What's wrong?"

Nevaeh shook her head slowly. "I don't know. A dormant feeling stirring." She tilted her head and smiled. "We may not be alone much longer."

"We'll get Grace back soon enough."

"That's not what I'm talking about."

"Veah, are you saying-"

She nodded. "Quite possibly, my love."

He smiled, picked her up and spun her around. "That's wonderful, my darling!"

Nevaeh held up a box. "But we should make sure."

"Isn't it already enough you suspect?"

"I want to be certain."

"Fair enough. Let's see if your suspicions are correct."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.9K 2.4K 115
***Third book in the Dreams series*** ***The following book to Once Upon a Dream*** After saving Henry from Neverland, or so they thought, the whole...
14.5K 419 38
Regina rescues a child from her abusive father and raises her as her own. Since Rose wants to make Regina proud she would do anything for her. But ev...
18.8K 466 47
Henrietta Wilma "Indiana" (Indy) Jones craves adventure and seeks it out as often as she can. But one adventure takes her far beyond her wildest ima...
125K 4.1K 104
***The sequel to Dreams Comes True*** This book occurs after Regina confesses to Gold that she will get revenge for Cora's death. While trying to st...