Ardently |h.s|

By latenightgab

In which Harry Styles is the son of a Duke, and Charlotte Pembroke is servant to the Payne family. More

one
two
three
four
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty

five

4.3K 154 67
By latenightgab

Beth and I were beckoned from our quarters before our guests arrived. We stand at the front door, right behind his lordship and his family as we watch the carriage pull up. Liam glances behind himself quickly to me, offering me a reassuring smile as The Viscount approaches the parked vehicle.

A well dressed man exits the carriage first, shaking hands with the Viscount. Beth and I stand at attention, ready to help with whatever might be necessary. He summons Beth over first, putting a hand carefully on her shoulder, "Show the Duke of Cheshire and his family to the dining hall." he tells her.

My eyes go back to the carriage as someone else exits. It takes everything in me not to audibly gasp when I see that wild hair again. I'm sure my face goes pale at the sight of him, however, I can't tear my eyes away. I feel frozen in place.

Suddenly his green eyes meet mine. Those fear inducing eyes. We're so far, and yet I can feel his breath against my ear again and my skin burns where he had touched it. Anyone but him.

His face looks mean. His jaw is set and his brows are harsh as he glares into my soul. Another set of eyes is on me, a softer, more worried set. But the cruel stare from the man currently fixing his overcoat on his shoulders is all that I see.

"Char. Go back down to the kitchen." Liam whispers to me, causing his mother to snap her head over. She shushes him quickly and turns back around to greet the two women exiting the carriage after the devil.

The Duke approaches us to greet The Viscountess and Liam, and I bow my head as I curtsey to him. Behind him, Lord Styles follows up the stairs to stand behind his father. Once the Duke has said his hellos, Lord Styles walks up. I refuse to curtsey to him. He notices, his eyes narrowing at me.

"Lady Payne, I do believe your servant could use a lesson in manners." he says harshly, emphasizing the word servant. I could tell Liam is seconds away from losing it on his man, but the Viscountess just laughs it off. It was not a joke.

His eyes turn to Liam, smirking in amusement, "Sir." he says shortly, before turning to stand with his father and the Viscount. My heart is racing and I'm barely able to focus and the Duchess of Cheshire and Lady Styles approach us, greeting us warmly. Such a contrast from their monster of a relative.

We all walk to the dining room once inside. While the Viscountess is wrapped up in a conversation with the Duchess, Liam falls behind to my side. "Charlotte, go to the kitchen." he orders again, staring ahead of him. His eyes are on Harry, burning a hole into the back of his head.

"I am working, Mr. Payne. I am a servant girl, this is what servant girls do." I reply plainly, staying focused on my job.

He scoffs at my statement, "Disobedient servant girl if you refuse to follow my orders." he mumbles. "Charlotte, this isn't up for discussion, go to your room."

I ignore him, walking ahead of him. The last thing I'm going to do is bow down in fear to Lord Styles. I am a strong young woman. I can handle a dinner with the Styleses.

"Charlotte!" The Viscount calls my attention, and I rush over quickly. "Yes my lord?"

"Make sure to serve the good wine tonight. Tell Mary to get it from the cellar, please." he asks, and I nod quickly. "Of course, my lord."

I make haste down to the kitchen, taking a second to breathe. This sick man cannot win. Not against me. With a new confidence, I tell Mary to fetch the Viscount a good bottle of wine and make my way back up the stairs.

When I enter the dining room again, everyone is seated and dinner is being served. I quickly help distribute the first course, until the last bowl is in my hands. The only one left to give food to is Lord Styles. I'd much rather dump the contents over his head. Instead, I place it in front of him.

"Finally." he mumbles, "That'll be enough from you, servant."

My eyes narrow to the back of his head, but I back off, standing against the wall. Liam makes eye contact with me, silently urging me to leave. I ignore him. He should know my stubborn nature and that I don't need him to fight my battles for me.

I hold the power in this situation, at least for right now. The Viscountess adores me, Liam is my brother, they would never allow a guest to be cruel to me.

"You run a tight ship here, Payne. Very impressive." the Duke compliments from across the table. Harry scoffs, and even though I can only see the back of his head, I know he's rolling his eyes.

Liam shoots daggers at Harry, ready to jump across the table and punch him into next week. I discreetly shake my head at Liam, needing him to relax.

Dinner continues and the tension between Harry, Liam and I is thick. The Viscountess can tell something is going on with the two young men from across the table. I'm currently standing behind them, Harry facing me. He keeps glaring at me, and I refuse to back down, holding the intense eye contact. His sister keeps glancing between the three of us, a nervous look on her face.

"Is something bothering you, servant?" Harry snaps at me, halting all conversation. All eyes are on me now, except Liam's.

"Do not speak to her that way!" he scolds, pointing his knife in the lord's direction. "Men!" The Viscount reprimands, glaring between the both of them. Harry's piercing green eyes are still on me. They look wild and dangerous.

Calmly, I shake my head, "Nothing is bothering me, my lord." I turn toward the Viscount, bowing my head carefully, "My deepest apologies for the disturbance, my lord."

"Nonsense, Charlotte. Why don't you be a dear and go check on dessert?" The Viscountess interjects in a soft voice. I turn to her, curtseying once before turning to exit the dining hall. As I exit, I can hear the Duke profusely apologizing to the Viscount for his son's behavior. A smirk crosses my lips as I head to the stairs, knowing I've won this round.

Later on in the night, the Duke and the Viscount have gone to the study to talk business and smoke. The Duchess and the Viscountess have disappeared with Beth to talk about furnishings and the London season. Which leaves me in the drawing room with Liam and Lord and Lady Styles.

Lady Styles is soft spoken and kind. The completely opposite of her brother. It's not surprising since men with wealth and status tend to let their superiority get to their heads. Not to mention he's beautiful, which only adds to his ego.

I stand to the side, keeping my head down. It feels as though a powder keg is about to blow. The men have been glaring at each other the past twenty minutes, and Lady Gemma seems to be searching for some way to excuse herself and join the other women.

Finally, unfortunately, Harry speaks. "Didn't know you had a thing for the help, Payne. How scandalous." He looks amused as he stares Liam down.

"Not all of us treat our employees like slaves, Styles." He retorts, not backing down. I do not want to be present for this fight, but unfortunately, all I can do is keep my head down and pray the Duke and Duchess return soon to collect their children and leave.

Harry leans back in his chair, not letting Liam's gaze out of his tight grip. "If I would have known she was just a servant girl the other night, I wouldn't have bothered with niceties." His words send chills down my spine. My only saving grace the night of the ball was my anonymity. Had he known my true identity, he would have ruined me.

His sister is visibly upset by his words, "Harry." she scolds, but he just rolls his eyes. Liam looks unhinged though. "Leave Charlotte alone. She is an honest woman." He warns.

"An honest woman? Do honest women end up in empty corridors with strange men?" Harry continues, "But I know, Payne. You want her all to yourself. Once you're done with her, send her my way. Then again, she will be ruined. The only thing she has going for her right now is her virtue." he spits, his words full of hatred.

That is the breaking point for Liam. He stalks across the room, grabbing Harry by the collar of his shirt. "Charlotte is like my sister. I wouldn't dare direct such horrid words toward your sister, especially in her presence. Have some decency. You are a rake and salacious and are no longer allowed in my home." He threatens. Gemma and I are wide eyed as we watch the men.

Harry just chuckles darkly, "Befriending the help. How pathetic. I wouldn't want to be associated with such a pitiful family anyway." He pushes against Liam's chest, forcing him to let go. He fixes his coat, glaring over at me again. "Gemma, we're leaving." he bellows, before turning and exiting the room.

Gemma is frozen in her seat, shocked at her brother's words and actions. She quickly stands up, turning toward me, "I deeply apologize for my brother. He lets his temper get the best of him. We shall not bother you again."

I bow my head to her, curtseying quickly. Liam clasps his hands behind his back, bowing his head to her, "Lady Gemma, I am deeply sorry as well that you were exposed to such indecent topics of conversation. It was wrong and I should not have let it continue."

"You and I both know Harry would not have let the conversation go. But thank you. It was a pleasure to meet the both of you. Give the Viscount and the Viscountess my regards." She offers a quick smile before Liam escorts her back to the carriage.

Alone in the drawing room, I sit down, leaning my head back as I close my eyes. My head is pounding from the events of tonight, and I just want to get to my room and crawl into my bed. I still have a few more hours before that can happen since we'll need to clean up.

"Sitting on the furniture, servant?"

My head turns to the door and my lips turn up into a smile when I see Liam at the door, feigning a glare.

"My apologies, my lord." I continue the joke, stifling a laugh.

"You know, I know that's not my title, but you should still call me that." he says, coming to plop himself down next to me. "I'm sure you'd like that, brother."

We both sigh, soaking in the complete silence. The tension in the room has completely dissipated and now it just feels light and airy. Like it's supposed to.

"I'm sorry you were exposed to such indecent conversation, sister. It'll never happen again." Liam mumbles, sounding disappointed in himself.

"Well I'd rather be exposed to indecent conversations than to indecent activities. And I'm sure we will not be hearing from Lord Styles again. I only feel bad that this might affect the Viscount's relationship with the Duke." I sigh.

"It won't. Lord Styles is sure to get scolded by the Duke for his behavior. And it sounds like his sister will be tattling that he was indecent around her which will only add to his scolding. Perhaps they'll take away one of his ponies." Liam adds in a joke. "You were strong and determined tonight, and I'm sorry for trying to force you into the kitchen."

I just brush him off, shaking my head, "You were just trying to protect me, and I am deeply grateful for that. I won't be seeing that prick again, that's for sure." I smile over at him.

The Viscountess enters the room after a few more minutes of conversation, her eyes full of worry. "What happened tonight? Charlotte, my dear I am so sorry that the Duke's son spoke to you that way." She rushes to my side. I stand up, not wanting to be rude.

"My lady, it is okay for I did not take his words to heart." I assure her, bowing my head slightly.

Hopefully Liam keeps his mouth shut about this. He was good about the original incident involving Lord Styles.

The Viscountess places her hand delicately on my cheek. "Why don't you go wash up and rest, dear? You've had a long day." she encourages. I nod slightly, turning toward Liam. "Goodnight." I tell him, smiling quickly.

Liam nods, standing up now too, "Goodnight, Char. I'll check on you in the morning." He tells me, before offering to walk me to the servant's stairs.

Once I'm back in my bedroom, I quickly shed my layers, finally getting out of that stupid corset. I put on a nightgown, start a fire quickly in the fireplace and get into bed, pulling the warm wool blanket over my body.

Only when I close my eyes, his wild, dangerous eyes are all I see once more.

**

Harry needs to get his shit together lmao. The story is gonna pick up now, so get excited. Don't forget to vote and comment!

gab <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.9K 520 30
Lacey's life is a disaster. Her dad is abusive, and her mom left when Lacey was two. Now, she is taking care of Elena, her little sister. While takin...
1.1M 40.7K 126
Mature/18+ Trigger Warnings included All her life, Ivy Malone has known what her family was. She grew up in the deep, unforgiving world of the mob. I...
124K 3.2K 33
One Direction Fanfic! [AU] Liam Payne + Harry Styles = Lirry Stayne! <3 Vampire (Harry) and human (Liam) love story fanfic! NOT like Twilight or a...
2.9K 61 80
Originally posted on onedirectionfanfiction.com in 2011. Eighteen-year-old Charlotte McDermott is moving to London for college. With luck on her side...