Prey

By cannoness

In this life, a human without the money to pay for their own life is worth nothing. Take those humans in as p... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 93 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Book 2
Physical Copies ᕕ( ᐛ)ᕗ

Chapter 59

36.3K 2.4K 1.5K
By cannoness

Xander's POV:

The ballroom was full of people by the time I got there.

The scent of differing food and blood pervaded the air, weirdly mixing with the numerous scents of every human and vampire here.

That was all it took for me to shut off the advanced sense and make my way further into the dimly lit room to start searching for Nico the hard way.

I had walked here relatively slowly, enough to where I was about five minutes late.

Nico was usually late to these sorts of things, though with his newfound will to be here, I didn't know if that meant he'd actually be on time.

I continued my search regardless, weaving through the crowd of vampires and searching for his slightly taller figure which I can almost guarantee is going to be in black.

After circling my way through the entire half of the ballroom that the vampires kept to, I still couldn't find him.

I did, however, spot the other vampire I was looking out for tonight.

My stomach turned at the sight of her, remembering what happened the last time that I did.

That deep vampirism in me stirred but didn't awaken.

Thankfully.

She stood near the back wall, nervously scanning the crowd I was hidden in, and talking to the male vampire next to her.

Who I distinguished to be her brother, Lucien, quite quickly.

His hair gave him away. The silver strands were something I've only ever seen on him.

That and the dullness under his eyes that I've never seen him without being physical proof of the biological ailment they both suffered from.

But he got the worst of it.

I was actually surprised to even see him here at all.

It felt like he rarely if ever went out in public, but given the position he was in, I can imagine he was only here to support Layla.

His shoulders were pressed back against the wall, arms crossed as he listened to his sister's nervous ramble with hooded eyes.

I could guess as to why she was nervous. This ball was her responsibility after all.

One that I could only imagine she took just to appease Lord Bronwyn because he hated dealing with these sorts of things.

I debated trying to use my hearing to... eavesdrop but figured with the various conversations and music around me, I wouldn't be very successful if I tried.

I didn't want to risk getting closer, and they were just far enough away to where I couldn't read their lips.

Oh well, but maybe if he's here, that'll keep her away from me for some time.

That blissful thought was short-lived as Lucien pushed himself off of the wall, golden eyes that were brighter than hers rolling in his head at what she had said to him.

He set a hand on her shoulder, saying what I could only imagine being words of comfort by the steady relaxation in her posture.

They stayed like that for a few more seconds before he stepped back away from her, speaking a few more words before walking off.

Aaaand he was coming straight in my direction.

Great.

I took that as my cue to turn and head back to the front to continue my search for Nico.

Lucien and I were on good terms, I'd like to think. We've talked a handful of times, and He's aware that I know about his... unfortunate downfall.

I've heard countless stories about him from Layla, some good, and some bad, but he's always pretty put together in public.

He's always been pleasant when I was around.

But I still didn't want anyone connected to her knowing that I was here yet.

Scanning the group of people again didn't lead to any success.

He... did say that he was coming right?

Or not. Then I could go back to my room.

Back to Doe.

That'd be nice.

I continued my way to the front, probably looking like a lost child looking for their parents to anyone who happened to catch me in their gaze.

It kind of felt like it too if I'm being honest.

I was almost to the doors again, when a temporary hand on my upper arm pulled me into a halt.

"Prince," Lucien greeted as I turned to face him. There was a weary annoyance in his voice, yet I knew that it wasn't directed at me, "It's been a while."

Dammit.

I took a glance past him, luckily not spotting his sister.

"Indeed it has, " I replied, with a smile, "I'm surprised you're here. I don't think I've ever seen you at one of these."

"I'm actually just leaving. I only really came to help her with some last-minute setups, and as for Layla, she uh," He turned his head back to where I had first seen them, "She's back there. If you were looking for her."

I tried to mask my consternation at the almost knowing, sympathetic look he gave me.

It clicked something together in my mind that I'd been subconsciously piecing together for the past week.

Figuring out what it is she really wanted from me from the beginning of all of this.

What she gained from me and inevitably from Nico.

I'd like to think that I finally had come to a solid conclusion, but I wasn't completely sure yet.

"Right, thank you," Was all I responded.

And what was all he needed because after that he walked past me to continue towards the door with a small wave goodbye.

It looked like I didn't have to worry about him telling Layla about my arrival.

Although his words did tell me that she was at least expecting me.

Dammit.

I glanced back at him as he passed through the doors I arrived in, right as he walked past a familiar figure who right now had his back to me.

Nico!

Seeing him was both a relief and a bummer but...

I just barely made out the fact that he was talking to someone before I called out for him.

"Ayo Nico!" I picked up my pace.

He turned to face me, his body covering half of the girl he had been talking to.

I still got a short glimpse, and damn she was beautiful.

So was her dress.

Good for you, Nico. She can come join us later.

As soon as he was close enough, I smacked a hand onto his shoulder.

"You made it! I was beginning to lose faith in you dude," Faith I wouldn't have minded losing, "We've been waiting forever."

I noticed his eyes momentarily shift behind me, and I immediately knew who it was he was looking for and was confused that he didn't see.

"The ball only started like fifteen minutes ago,h-"

I cut him off by taking ahold of his collar and walking us back into the crowd.

To be hidden.

Sorry, Nico, but Doe isn't here so I'm going to need to use you for stability for tonight.

"That's not important, now hurry up we're gonna get you drunk!" I cheered, surprised by how willingly he was letting me do what I was doing.

I was using my own words to try to convince myself to enjoy this.

Maybe if I did get drunk, tonight would go smoother, though.

The thought lingered in my mind for a second, but that was absolutely not how I wanted to return to Doe.

"Yeah, that's not happening," Was Nico's monotonous reply.

As I suspected. Nico didn't typically drink at social events, but it was worth a shot.

He continued to let me lead him through these vampires until I was satisfied with our position and released him.

His head rotated as he glanced around for a moment.

"So, where is she," he asked.

I hid my cringe at the fact that his first question was that.

"She's somewhere in the back I think. Finishing up some stuff, so it's just you and me for a bit."

I hoped.

"I thought you said you guys had been waiting for me. 'We've been waiting for you,' 'We're gonna get you drunk.'."

I blinked at him.

Did I say that?

I didn't notice, It just slipped out like nothing.

Shit, sorry, Doe. I'll do better.

"Force of habit I guess, but no it's just me... for now."

He eyed me warily at my strange answer, looking me up and down.

"I see," He began, "You look somewhat relieved by that fact."

He was speaking with the same un-sure tone he had during our talk over the phone.

"I mean, It's not the end of the world," Was what I settled with.

He continued with that gaze as he tried to figure me out.

Little did he know that I was also in the works of doing that myself... Sort of.

Eventually, he looked to have come to a conclusion. Or just gave up.

"I suppose," He plucked a glass of blood as a tray of them passed. I snagged one too, "Anyway, I was expecting you to come in grey." He gestured to my attire.

Grey was typically my go-to, just like black was for him.

"I uh, I had some help," I admitted, bringing my free hand up to make sure my tie was straight.

My hand then fell into my pocket, the other one bringing the glass to my lips.

AB positive. Of course.

This whole damn night was just out to get me, I swear.

"It suits you quite well, I'll admit," He paused, glancing at what I had just straightened, "The tie is questionable, though."

I breathed out a genuine laugh.

"So I've heard. Personally, it's my favorite part," I beamed.

Just to find myself panicking about it out of nowhere.

Like I wasn't supposed to have said something like that in that open cheery tone.

It didn't fit with the guise I'd been showing him lately.

No... No this was what I was supposed to be doing.

I wasn't supposed to hide. To lie.

I was doing the right thing here!

"Xander?" Nico asked, snapping me from my thoughts.

He must have read the look on my face.

I then became conscious of how sweaty my palm felt in my pocket and on this glass.

Oh my God, why was I so nervous?

It's like I'd forgotten how to just be me when I was around him.

It was like the defaults I was used to and my want to do as Doe asked were at a standstill.

It wasn't even just nervousness... there was something else lingering around in there too with that new realization.

That our relationship had grown that bad, to begin with, because of my own actions.

Because I just let it figuring I could fix it later.

I recognized it not too long after since it was one of the main feelings that have been eating away at me lately.

Regret.

Regret buried so deep that it had rooted itself in my heart, waiting patiently for the day that I inevitably had to pull it out, and just deal with the damages it left me with.

I had talked to Doe, sure. She let me pour my regret out on what happened to her that night.

But that was just one night.

One night out of so many.

Countless nights at her expense, and then having me run to Nico to try to patch it up.

I swallowed to try to keep myself from showing the discomfort.

That moment was coming soon, I could feel it.

But not here.

I repeated that thought in my brain, and the moment I had eased myself enough to where I was somewhat comfortable, a voice rang out, causing a hitch in my breath.

"There you boys are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 732 20
"Everything is an act. My bright smile, my happy face, my friendly attitude. I acted like I was fine when I was in that hell, and I'm doing the same...
7.8K 241 32
7 years ago, an infection spread throughout Earth's population. Many were turned into what can only be described as a zombie. The cause of this infe...
131K 3K 76
{SPIN-OFF TO LET'S PRETEND} {CAN BE READ AS A STAND ALONE} "Are you joking? That's absurd - that is, that's straight ludicrous! " ─────☆*: .。..。.:*...
334 59 8
"You aren't the only one who can bite, love. Did you forget that?" I tensed, feeling his breath against the exposed flesh of my neck. "Don't-" "Why...