A Court of Wings and Fate

Von LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... Mehr

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

28. Unspoken Words

795 44 29
Von LeeraIvy

    Three days passed and neither Estelle nor Mikael mentioned what had transpired on the bridge. To Mikael, it seemed like Estelle was desperately trying to pretend like it hadn't even happened. He wished he could do the same.

    He'd lain in bed that night, watching her sleep, but unable to find rest for himself. He kept recalling the feeling of her fingertips against his jaw. His neck. Her lips touching his skin. The memories left heat burning through his veins. Mikael had tossed and turned until he finally got up and sat outside the hut, letting the frigid mountain air cool his head.

    He'd wanted to wake her and demand that they discuss...whatever it was that was happening. He managed to restrain himself somehow. He left her alone, and she carried on as though nothing had changed. But something was changing. She knew it as well as he did. She had to. No amount of ignorance could change that.

    Mikael hit the ground and spat out a mouthful of dirt. "You're off in your own world today," Nyx said, balancing a metal staff over his shoulder. "Everything all right?"

    "I have no idea," Mikael replied. He picked himself up, spitting out more dirt. "Illyrian dirt tastes just as coarse as Ze'ev sounds."

    Nyx laughed, falling into a starting position. "With the amount of dirt you've eaten today, I doubt you'll be hungry for any food at Rita's."

    "Rita's?"

    "Don't tell me you've forgotten."

    Mikael rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Like you said, I've been off in my own world today."

    Nyx rolled his eyes. "We're all going to our favorite night club in Velaris this evening."

    "Right. Why, again?"

    "Because Celeste and Lys were going to go by themselves and the rest of us decided to tag along too."

    "That seems a little unnecessary. Would you appreciate it if six other people followed you around while you were visiting your mysterious lover?"

    "We aren't actually going with them. They're still going by themselves. We'll just be there too."

    "My point still stands."

    "Let's get back to training before Devlon decides to make us stay late."

    Mikael kicked his staff off the ground and caught it. Nyx dug his staff into the dirt and launched himself at Mikael. He caught Nyx's leg against his own and jabbed his staff into the male's chest.

    Nyx staggered backwards, but recovered himself and rolled beneath Mikael's next attack. "You and Estelle have been rather distant from one another. Did you argue again?" Nyx asked. He dropped to his knees and swept Mikael's legs.

    He hit the ground and raised his staff, parrying Nyx's blow. "Not exactly," Mikael huffed. He hooked his knee against Nyx's leg and tossed the Illyrian over his head.

    "What's going on?" Nyx righted himself and they began to circle one another.

    "I wish I knew."

    They fell silent, trading faster and harder blows. Mikael fluffed his feathers out as a particularly cool breeze wafted through the air. He caught sight of Estelle from the corner of his eye. She was training with Celeste and Sienna in another ring.

    As if sensing his gaze, she turned towards him. Mikael doubled over backwards, barely avoiding Nyx's next attack. He snapped upright, hooking the curve of his wing around Nyx's chest. He slammed the male down and backed away, twirling his staff between his fingers. Estelle smiled before returning her focus to her own opponents.

    Nyx rolled onto his stomach, coughing. "Show off," he rasped.

    Mikael flashed him a sideways grin and offered him a hand. Nyx accepted it, letting Mikael pull him to his feet. "I have to catch her attention somehow."

    "Put your Illyrian leathers on. Those seem to catch her eye," Nyx scoffed.

    "I can't decide if you do or don't want me pursuing your cousin."

    "It doesn't matter what I want." Nyx raised his eyebrows. "Are you pursuing her?"

    "I..." Mikael hesitated. "Yes and no."

    "Explain." Nyx cast his staff aside and formed his hands into fists. Mikael followed suit. They began to trade jabs and punches.

    "I don't know how to explain it. I'm not trying to pursue her but I just feel this...pull. I can't stay away from her. I haven't been able to since we met. I was curious about her before too."

    Nyx gave no reply. He only listened as they continued to spar. "I've only known her for two months, but it seems longer than that. I shouldn't care about her like I do, and yet..."

    "So you do care about her?" Nyx interrupted.

    "Yes."

    There. He had admitted it. Out loud. He cared about Estelle. His chest tightened with some unfamiliar emotion. An unfamiliar...connection. He cared about her. Umbra squeezed his arm. He had cared about her since he realized she'd been in a fight with Ronan...and she'd defended him during it.

    "Then tell her." Nyx lowered his fists. "And don't let her walk away from you."

◦═══✦═══◦

    "Aren't you going to change?" Celeste asked in disbelief, gesturing to Estelle's leathers.

    Estelle crossed her arms. "No? I always go to Rita's like this."

    Celeste massaged her temples wearily. "All the more reason to dress up for once! I've never seen you dress up before."

    "I have no need to," Estelle replied. "Besides, you're the one going out with someone special, not me." She elbowed Celeste with a grin. "Be nice to my brother. It's been a while since he went out with someone."

    "Have you completed your dare yet?" Celeste asked, returning Estelle's smirk.

    Sienna looked up from lacing her shirt. "If she had, don't you think she'd be going out with someone special too?"

    "Good point. I must warn you, our methods of humiliation will be torturous if you don't complete your dare."

    "You remind me every day," Estelle sighed, rolling her eyes.

    Sienna tapped her chin. "Celeste is right, though. Maybe you should dress up for a change."

    "I don't have any dressy clothes with me."

    "Excuses, excuses. As if I wouldn't come prepared." Celeste pulled open one of the drawers in the bedroom's only dresser. She had a few Peregryn leathers folded inside, along with her Illyrian ones. Estelle spied a variety of fancy shirts and at least two knee length dresses.

    Estelle backed away, shaking her head. "Not tonight. I don't need to dress up."

    She didn't need to give Mikael an excuse to look at her more than he already did. She didn't need him to search for her, wanting a conversation that she wasn't ready to have. Not for the first time, Estelle silently scolded herself for what she'd done on the bridge. She shouldn't have said such things. She shouldn't have touched him like that. Not when she was no longer certain where things stood between them in her own mind.

    "Suit yourself. Next time, remind me to dare you to wear something fancy." Celeste closed the drawer. "Lys should be waiting for me. I'll see you both later." Sienna and Estelle nodded in farewell as Celeste ducked out of the room.

    Once Sienna finished dressing and braiding her hair, they joined the Boys in the main room. Estelle noted that Mikael was wearing his Illyrian leathers now. He'd worn his Peregryn ones to training that morning.

    The shadows whispered incoherently. She didn't like when they did that. She knew they were talking about her amongst themselves. "Let's go!" Corbin exclaimed. "The longer we wait, the fewer tables will be available. I want to make sure we get a good one."

    Nyx took Corbin and Calden each by the arm and winnowed out of the hut. Estelle touched Sienna's arm. She tried not to let her blush show when Mikael rested his hand against her back. Shadows swirled around them.

    When they faded, they were standing outside of Rita's. Music and laughter rang through the air. The scent of bodies, perfumes, rich food, and alcohol hung thick in the building. Mikael and Sienna followed Estelle inside.

    Couples were already spinning across the dance floor. Waitresses maneuvered through the crowd, carrying trays of food and drink. Estelle spotted Nyx's group close by. She pushed through the crowd towards them. They had managed to claim a booth with plenty of room. Already, they were ordering food and drinks of their own.

    Estelle slid into the booth beside Corbin. The waitress glanced at her, but Estelle merely shook her head. She wasn't in the mood for drinks this evening. The waitress gathered the rest of their orders and headed off.

    "I think I'm going to find myself a partner before our drinks get here," Calden remarked. Nyx stood, letting him out of the booth. Corbin and Sienna followed. The three of them disappeared onto the dance floor.

    Nyx leaned towards Estelle, lowering his voice. "I want to try to see Venelia tonight. I'll leave after we've finished here." Estelle nodded and he slouched with a relaxed sigh, spreading his wings over the back of the booth.

    The Angel of Dawn has things he wishes to say, the shadows murmured. Perhaps you should listen.

    How can I listen to what he has to say when I don't even know what I need to say?

    The words will come to you.

    And if they don't?

    They will.

    Estelle didn't reply. She tipped her head back, closing her eyes. The club was increasingly loud. She needed to think. She needed quiet. She needed to get out of there. It was loud. It was too loud. It was too warm.

    "Do you want to..." Mikael began.

    Estelle pulled the shadows around herself, letting them carry her out of the club. She braced a hand on the wall of a building just down the street. Estelle forced herself to draw in deep breaths. It had been a long time since she'd been overwhelmed by a crowd at Rita's. She'd forgotten how quickly panic could set in.

    At least I got myself out of there before something worse happened, she thought.

    The Prince of Sunrises approaches.

    Estelle glanced over her shoulder. Sure enough, Mikael was hurrying down the street, coming right towards her. She didn't move. She closed her eyes, resting her forehead against the wall.

    "Are you all right, Batsy?" Mikael asked, halting a few feet away from her.

    "I'm fine. It was too loud. If I stayed, I was going to panic. I'm going back to Windhaven. Tell Nyx that if he needs my help bringing everyone back, I'll come." Estelle spread her wings.

    Mikael grabbed her wrist and she froze. "Don't go," he said. "Let's find something else to do. Something quieter and with a smaller crowd." Estelle hesitated, meeting his chestnut gaze. "Don't go."

    He will not ask you questions you don't want to answer, the shadows said. He is thinking only of calming you down and helping you have fun.

    Mikael's grip loosened around her wrist. He slipped his hand into hers, running his thumb across her knuckles. Estelle tightened her hand around his and nodded. A bright smile crossed his features as she led him down a side street.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

28.1K 1.7K 92
Life in the Night Court is difficult for Lysander Marzena between juggling his official duties and personal affairs. As a high-ranking Illyrian warri...
55.8K 1.2K 64
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART] As the heir to the crown of Terrasen, Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius has always felt more responsibili...
26.9K 1.3K 55
Two years have passed since Mikael Anik and Estelle Marzena survived the Illyrian Blood Rite and were mated. They've finally settled into their new l...
654K 24.4K 71
{ACOTAR AU - BOOK 1} "The Daughter of Dawn and the Spymaster of the Night Court locked eyes... and the mating bond snapped into place." After sufferi...