Fighting Against Fire [One] (...

By Turtlii

The Protector never wanted anything but a life of peace and quiet, only to watch the Universe from afar, lear... More

Fighting Against Fire
Prologue
Rose - I
Rose - II
Rose - III
Same Room, Different TARDIS
End of the World - II
End of the World - III
What's a Time Lord?
The Unquiet Dead - I
The Unquiet Dead - II
The Unquiet Dead - III
Aliens of London - I
Aliens of London - II
Aliens of London - III
World War Three - I
World War Three - II

End of the World - I

476 32 5
By Turtlii

It seems like forever since I wrote for the Protector, I'm so sorry for the delay, lets get into the first chapter of the End of the World!

-----

The Doctor looked up from the console as Rose walked in, a frown on his face before it relaxed slightly. "Don't worry." She held her hands up. "Only me."
"Good." The Doctor scowled. "I shouldn't have let her stay."

Rose sighed and walked over to him, her arms crossed, she leaned against the console curiously watching the Time Lord, his own arms crossed and his eyes burning into one of the coral beams of the TARDIS. "Why do you dislike her so much?" Rose questioned.

The Doctor shook his head, glancing at Rose for a moment before staring at the Time rotor of the TARDIS. "It's a long old fight we've had with each other, started when we were kids, never really stopped." The Doctor shrugged.

"Can't you say sorry?"

The Doctor snorted in amusement. "It's much more than just apologising now, plus why should I say sorry to her?" He shot Rose a cautious look, his eyes narrowing. "Did she tell you to come in here and ask me to apologise just so she could rub it in my face if I did? As if that would ever work."

"I wasn't asked to do that." Rose frowned. "Why?"

"She tried to get our friend to do that before, that woman found it hilarious."

Rose frowned in confusion but shrugged the Time Lords comment off as he turned to the console again. "Anyways, Rose Tyler, enough about the long-lasting feud. Where do you want to go? Backwards or forwards in time. It's your choice. What's it going to be?"

Rose stared at him for a moment. "Forwards."

"How far?"

"One hundred years."

The Doctor nodded and turned a dial before he pulled a lever, the TARDIS groaned and a second later he nodded at the TARDIS doors. "There you go. Step outside those doors, it's the twenty-second century."

"You're kidding." Rose replied,

The Protector walked in and rolled her eyes. "Did I just hear a hundred years?" She asked. "Sorry but as a first trip that's boring, how about further?"

Rose nodded. "Fine by me."

The Doctor rolled his eyes and pulled a leaver before turning a dial. "Ten thousand years in the future. Step outside, it's the year 12005, the new Roman Empire."

"You think you're so impressive." Rose laughed.

"I am so impressive." The Doctor shot back.

The Protector snorted as Rose replied to his comment: "You wish."

"Right then," he pointed at Rose, "you asked for it. I know exactly where to go. Hold on!" He shouted, turning the same dial before  sharply pulling the leaver down

The Protector huffed and glared at the Doctor as the TARDIS shook. She sighed when they stopped and Rose looked at the Time Lord. "Where are we? What's out there?"

"Go see for yourself." The Doctor raised a hand towards the doors.

Rose looked to and from the Doctor to the doors before deciding for herself, a moment later she was outside the TARDIS and heading down a small flight of steps.

The Protector followed the blonde with the Doctor behind them. Slowly Rose came to a stop beside a large shutter in the wall, revealing exactly where they were.

"You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids." The Doctor remarked, coming to a stop beside Rose, the Protector on her other side. "But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive. This is the year five point five slash apple slash twenty-six. Five billion years in your future and this is the day..." He stopped to look at his wrist. "Hold on..." He looked up and the sun flared and slowly became red. "This is the day the Sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."

The Protector snapped her head over to the Time Lord, her eyes wide in shock. "Of all the places!" She telepathically screamed at him before her eyes narrowed into slits. "Out of everywhere you decide to bring us to a watch Earth burn!"

"Not 'us', me and Rose. You didn't have to come, you can just go sit back on the TARDIS and wait if you want."

"Why?" The Time Lady frowned. "Why are we here Doctor?"

"Because we are! Don't like it, go sit in the TARDIS and sulk."

Rose looked between the two Time Lords she was stood in between and frowned. They hadn't said anything but were glaring at each other as if one of them made a childish comment about the other. "Are you two okay?"

The two snapped their attention back to the human. The Protector forced a smile. "Just peachy."

"Peachy?" Rose frowned.

"I think the American means to say is that she is completely fine."

"Yeah." The Protector added with a slight huff.

The three looked up as a voice announced from somewhere, "Shuttles five and six now docking. Guests are reminded that Platform One forbids the use of weapons, teleportation and religion. Earth Death is scheduled for fifteen thirty-nine."

The Protector huffed and headed off down a corridor. "Come on Rose, let's go exploring for a bit while everyone arrives."

"So, when it says guests," Rose began, "does that mean people?"

"Depends what you mean by people." The Doctor shrugged following them.

"I mean people." Rose asked. "What do you mean?"

"Aliens." The Doctor answered.

"What are they doing on board this spaceship?" Rose frowned. "What's it all for?

"It's not really a spaceship, more like an observation deck." The Doctor answered. "The great and the good are gathering to watch the planet burn."

The Doctor pulled his sonic out of his jacket pocket and flashed it at a panel to pull up a map.

"What for?"

"Fun." The Time Lord answered before he headed off down a hallway, "Come on, observation deck is this way."

Rose followed and the Protector sighed following behind as well. "Mind you," he waved a hand as they walked through a corridor and into the observation deck, a large glass shutter faced the Earth, "when I said the great and the good, what I mean is, the rich."

"But, hold on." Rose cut in. "They did this once on Newsround Extra. The sun expanding, that takes hundreds of years."

"Millions, but the planet's now property of the National Trust." The Doctor shrugged. "They've been keeping it preserved. See down there? Gravity satellites holding back the sun."

"The planet looks the same as ever." Rose frowned. "I thought the continents shifted and things."

"They did, and the Trust shifted them back." The Doctor replied. "That's a classic Earth. But now the money's run out, nature takes over."

"How long's it got?"

The Doctor looked at his watch. "About half an hour and then the planet gets roasted."

"Is that why we're here?" Rose looked at him. "I mean, is that what you do? Jump in at the last minute and save the Earth?"

"He's not saving it, Rose." The Protector cut in, a grim look on her face. "The Earth's time is up, everything ends, the Earth isn't an exception to that."

"But what about the people?" Rose turned to her. 

"It's empty." She explained. "They're all gone. No one left."

"Just me, then."

'You and me both.' The Time Lady sighed to herself.

The Doctor, the Protector and Rose's attention was all diverted as a blue-skinned alien with yellow eyes walked in and noticed the three in the gallery. "Who the hell are you?"

"Oh, that's nice, thanks." The Doctor rolled his eyes.

"But how did you get in? This is a maximum hospitality zone. The guests have disembarked. They're on their way any second now."

"That's us." The Doctor cut in and gestured to himself and the Protector. "We're guests." He shoved his psychic paper in the aliens face. "Look, we've got an invitation. Look." He pointed at it. "There, you see? It's fine, you see? The Doctor, the Protector plus one. I'm the Doctor, this is the Protector and this is Rose Tyler. Rose is my plus one. Is that all right?"

The Doctor returned the psychic paper where it was kept in his pocket as the man blicked. "Well, obviously. Apologies, et cetera. If you're on board, we'd better start. Enjoy." He nodded and headed off.

The Protector rolled her eyes and leaned towards Rose to explain what was going on. "The Doctors got a psychic paper, I got one as well." She grinned and bought out a white leather-covered piece of paper. "Stole this off one of my old friends." She chuckled. "This paper shows whatever the holder wants to see. Saved me a lot of times, especially when I had to stop a bunch of aliens that thought it was funny to run around the 16th century and try to mess up the timeline there."

"He's blue." Rose stared at the alien as he walked away.

"Yeah." The Doctor nodded.

"Okay." Rose simply replied.

"We have in attendance the Doctor, the Protector and Rose Tyler. Thank you." He nodded. "All staff to their positions." Multiple small blue aliens began to run around and show. "Hurry, now, thank you. Quick as we can. Come along, come along." The Steward ordered before nodding and standing at a podium. "And now, might I introduce the next honoured guest?" He gestured to what looked like a lift as two doors opened. "Representing the Forest of Cheam, we have trees, namely, Jabe, Lute and Coffa."

A woman with bark skin walked in with two men with the same bark skin walked in carrying plant pots with small twigs sticking out of the dirt. "There will be an exchange of gifts representing peace." The Steward explained. "If you could keep the room circulating, thank you. Next, from the solicitors Jolco and Jolco, we have the Moxx of Balhoon." The lift opened again and another blue alien sat on a transport pod rolled in.

"And next, from Financial Family Seven, we have the Adherents of the Repeated Meme." Rose frowned as what looked like a group of robed figures walked in.
"The inventors of Hypo-slip Travel Systems, the brothers Hop Pyleen. Thank you."

The tree people from Cheam walked towards the Time Lords and Rose. "The Gift of Peace." Jabe announced handing the plant pot to the Doctor. "I bring you a cutting of my Grandfather."

"Thank you." The Doctor smiled handing the present to Rose. "Yes, gifts." He patted himself. The Protector rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Er, I give you in return air from my lungs." He breathed over Jabe who smiled. "How intimate."

"Oh please." The Protector groaned and pinched her nose in annoyance as the Doctor smirked.

"There's more where that came from."

"I bet there is."

"Is he always like this?" Rose whispered to the Time Lady.

"Hopefully he's just putting it on to annoy me." She grumbled.

Rose nodded and they all turned to the Steward who started to talk again. "From the Silver Devastation, the sponsor of the main event, please welcome the Face of Boe."

They watched as a large glass case with only a head squeezed through the lift doors.

"The Moxx of Balhoon." The Doctor smiled.

"My felicitations on this historical happenstance. I give you the gift of bodily salivas." The alien stated before spitting in Rose's face.

The woman gasped and scrunched her face up. The Protector giggled slightly, trying to hide her laughter as she dived into her pocket and found a box of tissues, helping the human wipe her face when Moxx moved away.

"Thanks." Rose mumbled.

"It's alright." The Time Lady replied. "Good job I always bring tissues, right?"

Rose laughed and nodded at the Time Lady before watching the robe people walk over.

"The Adherents of the Repeated Meme." The Doctor stated. "I bring you air from my lungs." He breathed on them. The leader at the front then handed a metal ball to the Doctor. "Thank you."

"A gift of peace in all good faith."

"And last but not least, our very special guest." The Steward spoke up. "Ladies and gentlemen, and trees and multiforms, consider the Earth below. In memory of this dying world, we call forth the last Human. The Lady Cassandra O'Brien Dot Delta Seventeen."

A large face stretched out of thin skin was in a long rectangular frame, wheeled in by two men in hospital whites. "Oh, now, don't stare." Cassandra spoke up. "I know, I know it's shocking, isn't it? I've had my chin completely taken away and look at the difference. Look how thin I am. Thin and dainty. I don't look a day over two thousand. Moisturise me." She ordered the two men. "Moisturise me." One of the men used a spray pump on the skin. "Truly, I am the last Human. My father was a Texan, my mother was from the Arctic Desert. They were born on the Earth and were the last to be buried in its soil. I have come to honour them and say goodbye. Oh, no tears, no tears. I'm sorry. But behold, I bring gifts. From Earth itself, the last remaining ostrich egg. Legend says it had a wingspan of fifty feet and blew fire from its nostrils. Or was that my third husband?" She joked. "Oh, no. Oh, don't laugh. I'll get laughter lines. And here, another rarity." A large jukebox was wheeled in. "According to the archives, this was called an iPod. It stores classical music from humanity's greatest composers. Play on!"

One of the attendants pressed a button and Tainted Love by Soft Cell began to play.

"Refreshments will now be served." The Steward announced as a computer voice announced: "Earth Death in thirty minutes."

Rose closely watched all the aliens in the room, her eyes darting from one to another before she suddenly made a beeline for one of the doors, running out. The Protector groaned, the Doctor went to run after her but the Protector grabbed his arm. "Let me handle this." She shot daggers at him with her eyes. "You've done enough." She ran out, the Doctor went to follow but stopped as Jabe called him. He looked around and blinked at a flash of some kind of camera.  The Doctor frowned before heading off a moment later

"Identify species." Jabe told her device. "Please identify species." The device screen fizzed. "Now stop it. Identify his race. Where's he from?" Jabe blinked. "It's impossible. "

The Protector ran around a corner in hope to find Rose before she sighed and shook her head, the blonde nowhere in sight, suddenly the Doctor came up behind her. "Great!" The Time Lady jabbed a finger at his chest. "Shes ran off now!"

"How's that my fault?" He frowned.

"Well, you're the one who took brought her here?" She crossed her arms. "Are you not?"

"You were watching her." He shot back.

"But you're the one who decided to bring her here in the first place, this is what you do Doctor, you drop people off and then blame others when things happen."

The Doctor narrowed his eyes. "Shut up."

The Protector huffed, heading off while talking over her shoulder. "I'm going to find Rose, go canoodle with your new tree friend if you like."

The Doctor scoffed. "Are you jealous of Jabe?" He frowned. "Seriously?"

The Time Lady spun around, pointing a finger at him. "Why the hell would I be jealous of a tree?" She scoffed. "Also, there's nothing to be jealous of." She turned back around, shaking her head while walking off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.5K 2.8K 34
Having been separated for a whole year because of the Master the Doctor and Rita are back, their relationship now stronger than before, with Martha n...
2.6K 87 16
The Doctor, in his 10th incarnation, meets another traveller again. He and Kate seem to complete each other perfectly. But he doesn't know how perfec...
229K 7.3K 41
The Master is dead. The Year That Never Was is just that. The Year That Never Was. Martha is gone, and so is Jack, and the Doctor and Jessie are stil...
1.8K 46 21
Stranded alone after the Last Great Time War. Alone with the grief and guilt. One hundred years alone on Earth, forced to become like everyone else...