FORGIVE ME | a.pendragon

By richietoziershair

Aurora Ambrosius and her brother, Merlin, journeyed to the large kingdom known as Camelot. After learning of... More

forgive me
season one
⭐️1| the dragon's call
⭐️2| valiant
⭐️3| the mark of nimueh
⭐️4| the poisoned chalice
⭐️6| a remedy to cure all ills
⭐️7| the gates of avalon
⭐️8| the beginning of the end
⭐️9| excalibur
⭐️10| the moment of truth
⭐️11| the labyrinth of gedref
⭐️12| to kill the king
⭐️13| le morte d'arthur
season two
⭐️14| the curse of cornelius sigan
⭐️15| the once and future queen
⭐️16| the nightmare begins
⭐️17| lancelot and guinevere
⭐️18| beauty and the beast pt1
⭐️19| beauty and the beast pt2
⭐️20| the witchfinder
⭐️21| the sins of the father
⭐️22| the lady of the lake
⭐️23| sweet dreams

⭐️5| lancelot

1.7K 53 8
By richietoziershair

♤♡◇♧

Aurora glared at the back of Merlin's head as he knelt down to pick the mushrooms Gaius had asked for. She had been carrying the basket the entire way, getting heavier and heavier as things were added. The warlock smiled, watching his sister from the corner of his eye. A loud shriek echoed through the air, and the basket dropped from Aurora's hands as a large creature raced towards them. The witch took a second to examine the creature before Merlin was dragging her away, hand tightening around her wrist.

The pair stumbled away, feet slipping on the damp leaves as Merlin fell to the ground, pulling his sister with him. Aurora lunged forward, blocking her brother from the creature's incoming attack. The boy wrapped an arm around his sister's waist, clenching his eyes shut as she lifted an arm to protect herself.

Then came a shout as a man leapt forward. The sound of his sword caused Aurora to breathe a sigh of relief. The man jumped at the creature, slashing his weapon in it's face. The witch quickly climbed to her feet, pulling Merlin behind her as the man's sword shattered when it hit the creature's skin. He dropped the remains, spinning on his heel as he yelled for the two to run. He grabbed Merlin's arm, helping him along.

The three raced through the trees, Aurora silently thanking the ribbon tied tightly in her hair. They jumped over a fallen tree, collapsing to their knees as the creature rushed out from the underbrush. Aurora held her breath, panting as the creature took off into the air. The witch noticed the man resting his hand on his lower stomach, and she frowned.

"It's gone." Merlin sighed, giving Aurora a once over to check for injuries, "You saved our lives. I'm Merlin."

He reached his hand out to shake the man's.

"Lancelot." He replied, resting his head back on the bark of the tree as he lost consciousness.

"He's hurt. Let's get him back to Gaius." Merlin pointed out the obvious and Aurora rolled her eyes, nodding in agreement.

Aurora sat on the opposite side of the two males, trying to avoid looking at Lancelot's revealed skin.

"The wound itself is superficial. The fever will pass. He should be fine by the morning." Gaius said, replacing the bandages on his stomach. Aurora placed a damp rag on his forehead.

"Ever since I was a child, I've dreamed for coming here. It is my life's ambition to join the Knights of Camelot." Lancelot stared out of the small window in the sibling's bedroom, glancing back at them as he told his story.

"I know what you're thinking," He continued, stepping towards the two, "I expect too much. Afterall, who am I? They have their pick of the best and bravest in the land."

Aurora rolled her eyes, thinking Lancelot was very... attention seeking. Merlin didn't seem to notice, and only fed the man's desires.

"Lancelot?" He asked, and the man turned back to face the siblings.

"They're going to love you." Merlin continued, "I've seen you in action. You could shame the Great Arthur himself!"

Both Aurora and Lancelot scoffed, the witch nudging her brother's shoulder.

"I hardly think so." Lancelot replied, a smile on his face as he considered Merlin's words. He glanced at the girl beside him, hope fading slightly as he saw the doubtful look in her eyes.

"In fact, you know what i'm going to do? I'm going to talk to him right now." Merlin said, and Aurora's gaze of disbelief turned to her brother.

"You're what?" She asked, her words drowned out by Lancelot's.

"You know Arthur?"

"Oh yes." Merlin replied, leaving the room.

Lancelot took a seat on Merlin's bed and looked over at Aurora, eyes thoughtful.

"You don't believe I can do it." He stated, and Aurora sighed, leaning down to untie her boots.

"I do. You're very handy with a sword. But it lacks aim and precision. If Arthur's going to even consider taking you as a knight, you'll need more training than you have now. Merlin... he trusts blindly. I'm not saying that it's always a bad thing, but it'll get him killed one day. I don't want you to be the reason my brother gets hurt, understand me?" Her voice was hard, and it made the man straighten up and nod.

"But... how can I learn if Arthur will not teach me?" Lancelot asked, shoulders slumping again. Aurora re-tied her hair and straightened her tunic.

"I'll help you. Think of it as the both of us learning from each other." She replied, lifting her hand up to shake his. Lancelot smiled, his gaze holding not one ounce of doubt as he took her hand.

"I don't even know your name." He answered, and Aurora stood up, planning her grand exit as always. She walked to the door and span around in the doorway, giving Lancelot a smile.

"Aurora. It's Aurora."

The witch rubbed at her eyes, ignoring the arrogant words of Arthur as he droned on about him being the "ultimate killing machine". Merlin sent her a look which she gladly returned, leaning into his side.

"Grimmond, Second Son of Wessex," Arthur began as he drew his sword, "Your time starts now."

It was the final test for the man to prove himself as a knight. Aurora was surprised he had even made it that far. His grip on the swords was too loose, and they seemed too heavy by the way his arms drooped. His stance was basic and easy to overcome, and Aurora guessed if his stance was that easy, his moves would be too. She reckoned Arthur would have him down in less than a minute.

Grimond moved towards Arthur, swinging his swords around until he let out a battle cry and lunged for his opponent. The Prince sidestepped, ducking under Grimond's flying arms to punch him in the stomach. With one final knee to the head, the man in purple was down, and the knights applauded.

Arthur rolled his eyes in disappointment, ordering his men to take away Grimond's groaning figure. Aurora looked up at Lancelot, noticing his troubled face, and gently punched his arm.

"Hey. You'll do great. It's only Arthur. That guy's grip was too weak anyway." She mused, standing straight and stretching before walking away.

Aurora popped her head round Morgana's door, sending the woman a wave.

"I'm sorry, My Lady, I've been so busy and I haven't been here to attend to you." The witch explained as she joined Morgana at her vanity. The woman smiled, removing her hands from her hair as Aurora resumed her work.

"It's quite alright, Aurora. I must say, I've missed seeing you. How have you been?" She asked, and Aurora smiled, feeling calmer with Morgana's presence.

"I've been well, yes. Out to collect things for Gaius three times a day, but other than that." Aurora laughed, and Morgana joined in, watching the witch in the mirror.

"And Merlin? He's much better?" The Lady asked, fiddling with the rings decorating her fingers.

"Oh yes, so much better. It's like he was never sick in the first place." Aurora smiled, finishing Morgana's hair and securing it with a pin. She locked eyes with the woman in the mirror, a faint blush decorating her cheeks.

"You look as beautiful as always, Morgana."

The Lady smiled and shoed her away.

"Oh hush! Now off you go! Help the old man." She laughed and Aurora stood in the doorway.

"Merlin's only a year older than me, what are you talking about?" The witch smiled and ran off, faintly hearing Morgana's laughter in the background.

Aurora walked in barely a minute after Merlin, and sat on the table by Gaius.

"Oi! Off." He muttered and the girl smiled, resorting to sitting on the stool next to it, tuning into the conversation.

"And?" Lancelot asked, and Aurora looked around in confusion. Merlin looked down, slowly shaking his head in denial, and Lancelot looked away.

"He said he would like to meet you." The warlock continued with a smile, and Aurora caught on quickly. Lancelot jumped around in joy and she smiled, knowing that he deserved it. Lancelot gripped Merlin's hands with a smile.

"Thank you, thank you!"

"It's nothing, really. You're not by any chance a nobleman, are you?" Merlin asked, and Aurora laughed, coving her mouth with her hand.

"That was out of the blue." She stated, words drowned out by Lancelot as he began speaking. Aurora rolled her eyes, smiling fakely when Gaius patted her shoulder.

"A nobleman? No. Good Lord no. Why do you ask?" Lancelot scoffed in amusement.

"The first code of Camelot states that only those of noble blood can serve as a knight. Uther created the knights to protect this kingdom from those who wanted to destroy it. He knew he would have to trust each of his knights with his life. So he chose them from the families that had sworn allegiance to him." Gaius cut in, joining the two men in the centre of the room, leaving Aurora to pull her knees up to her chest.

"The nobility." Merlin finished, watching Lancelot sit down on a stool much like the one that held Aurora.

"And thus the first code of Camelot was born, and ever since that day, only sons of noble families have served as knights." Gaius replied, and Aurora stood to her feet, standing just behind her brother.

"Only sons?" She asked, scoffing at Gaius' nod. Merlin frowned at both his new friend and his sister.

It was a well known fact within the Ambrosius family that Aurora had always wanted to be a knight. Her and Will used to train with each other- using branches, of course. Hunith never would've agreed if Aurora wanted a real sword.

"Fair or unfair, that's the way it is. I'm sorry Lancelot. Truly, I am."

Gaius sent Merlin a disappointed stare, retreating to his table as Lancelot dropped his head into his hands. The two boys left up to the sibling's bedroom, and Aurora breathed a sigh of relief.

"Bit of a annoying boy, wouldn't you agree?" Gaius seemed to have read her mind, pouring potions into separate vials.

"Oh, definitely. I wish to be a knight, but I'm not as good as all of them. Who am I in comparison?" She mocked Lancelot, slumping on the stool to rest her head on her hand. "Yeah, well. At least you might have a chance. You're a man afterall."

Gaius sighed, patting the girl's back as he took a seat beside her.

"I'm sorry, my dear. It's the way it's always been, and with Uther? It'll never change."

"Because he's a conceited and power-hungry old man who only cares about women when they're in his bed." Aurora mumbled, just loud enough for Gaius to hear. The man in question let out a laugh, nodding his head as he stood to his feet once again.

"Exactly, my dear. Exactly."

Once again, Aurora sunk to her knees, basket in hand as she gently picked the herbs Gaius had asked for. Checking the list, she crossed out the final name with a smile.

"Finally. I almost reached the next village in search for these godforsaken plants." She complained, heaving the basket into her arms as she turned to leave, finding her path blocked by none other than the creature. It seemed to be wanting a staring competition with her, before it charged.

"Oh for fu-" Aurora began, feeling a wave of deja vu as she dropped the basket and fled from the clearing. The creature shrieked, it's bounding steps growing louder as a man on a horse came into view. Thankfully, he seemed to notice her, dismounting his horse and wielding his sword.

The man was none other than Arthur, and Aurora mentally scoffed, ignoring his helping hand as she pulled herself up onto the saddle. The Prince had obviously decided there was no way he was going to beat the creature alone, so he followed Aurora's lead, situating himself in front of her.

Wind whipped her hair across her face and she spat it out, moving her hands to grip Arthur's waist.

"I would've bowed, but there was a bloody flying thing chasing me, you must forgive me, My Lord." Aurora snapped out sarcastically, hearing her words become snatched by the wind.

"Oh save it." Arthur replied, and the two rode in silence as the shrieks of the creature died down to nothing.

Aurora opened Gaius' door, trying to hide her limp as she collapsed onto the same stool she had sat at before.

"Good heavens, girl. Where's my herbs?" He turned to face her, frustration clear in his expression.

"They're lying on the floor in the forest, exactly where I left them." She replied, laying her head on the table.

"And why are they lying on the floor in the forest, and not here?"

"Because that bloody creature thing came back and tried to kill me. You expect me to bring those herbs with me? Hell no."

Gaius paused, hearing the exhaustion his her voice and noticing the blood seeping through the leg of her trousers.

"Fair enough. Come on, let me look at that."

The cut wasn't too deep and didn't need much, however Gaius insisted on wrapping it up in a poultice before she left to watch Lancelot. Arthur was instructing the men with their swords by the time she got down there, and she joined Merlin and Gwen.

"Afternoon, Gwen." She smiled, watching Merlin tie up the rest of Lancelot's chainmail.

"Hello, Aurora. Been a while. How's everything been?" Gwen replied, linking her arm through Aurora's.

"Things have been great, actually."

The girls continued their mindless chatter as Arthur instructed his men to stop, and Lancelot took the opening as his chance. He approached the Prince, who was sheathing his sword in the stand, and he stood there, waiting for Arthur to notice him.

"Lancelot," he began when he did, "fifth son of Lord Eldred of Northumbria."

Arthur stepped around the stand, sizing him up.

"Lance-a-lot? My servant mentioned you. Got your seal?"

Lancelot dropped in a bow, presenting his paper forward to Arthur. Aurora opened her mouth to intervene, knowing what was coming from the way Lancelot stood. The Prince swung a hand across his face, knocking him to the floor as he took Lancelot's seal.

"Sluggish reactions. On the battlefield, you'd be dead by now." Arthur paused to look up at Aurora, giving her a nod to silently ask if she was alright. She returned it, looking away to Lancelot immediately.

"Come back when you're ready."

At that, Lancelot stood to his feet, readying his hand on his sword.

"I'm ready now, sire."

Arthur turned around again, an amused expression on his face.

"You are, are you? Fine. You can start by cleaning out the stables." He said, earning a laugh from the knights as Lancelot looked back at his group of three in confusion. Merlin and Gwen gave him a thumbs up, while Aurora turned away in laughter.

Aurora sat, cross legged on the bench by the fire, a book in her lap as Gaius and Merlin talked. Lancelot walked in at some point, she wasn't paying attention, however she tuned in as she heard Gaius' tone change.

"..and the truth before I loose my temper."

The witch hid her smile, zoning out again as she thought it probably wasn't the best time to be eavesdropping. She could faintly hear the tones change, but they never rose to a shout, of which Aurora was grateful for.

The next time Aurora saw Lancelot, he was sharpening his sword in the stables and wiping the sweat from his brow. She debated stopping to speak with him, but Arthur began to approach, and she decided against it, brushing past the Prince.

Behind her, she heard to familiar sound of two sticks beating, and she rolled her eyes when she realised the two men were duelling.

Aurora reached Merlin and Gaius as the church bells began to ring, and screams echoed through the air. People began racing towards the courtyard and Aurora flattened herself against the wall to avoid the incoming people.

Blood covered their hands and faces, scratches and bruises littering their skin. Some were limping, their clothes ripped. Aurora followed after her brother as he helped a young woman sit down beside Gaius.

He assured her that she was safe, and Aurora took the time to scan the area, not seeing much but the broken and wailing bodies of the victims.

"It's that bloody bird again, isn't it?" She guessed, leaning down to check the injuries of a small boy.

Lancelot joined the three, asking what had happened. Aurora placed a damp rag against the boy's forehead, bringing him closer to her to keep him warm.

"Their village was attacked by a winged monster." Gaius explained, treating a woman who sat before him as Merlin and Lancelot shared a look.

"I should find this boy's mother." Aurora stated, standing to her feet and gently lifting said boy into her arms.

"What's your name, darling?" Her voice changed, now soft and quiet as to not scare the boy.

"Rowan." He replied, and pointed out into the crowd at a lady who was rushing around in distress. Aurora approached her carefully, allowing the mother and son to reunite.

Gaius sat at his table, pouring over a book as he repeated the same words over and over again. Aurora rested her head against the cool wood, allowing her eyes to slip shut, and for tiredness to take over her body.

The next morning, while Merlin was out doing whatever, Aurora didn't really care what, Lancelot burst through the door, startling her.

"Heavens! Be any louder would you?" She scolded, marking her page in the book and setting it on the table.

"Arthur's brought forward my test. It's tomorrow morning." He rushed out, beginning to pace back and forth beside her bed.

"Of course he did, he needs knights to fight this bird." She began, standing to her feet and pulling her hair back into a bun, "Well then. We'd better start practising."

Aurora led him into the woods, to the clearing she had made after Merlin "died", wielding two staffs. She handed him one and moved away, positioning herself in a fighting stance.

"Fight me. Then, we shall work on what you suck at."

"Ah. I did think we were out here for you to kill me." Lancelot replied, copying her stance.

She paused, eyes narrowing as she scanned his figure. Tall, with long arms and legs, but slow feet and lacking in the agile mind.

Aurora lunged, aiming for his waist, and when he blocked, she swiped her staff behind his knees, knocking him to the floor. She poked the end of her staff against his chest before backing away and swapping hands.

"That block was nice. But you're too slow. You need to watch the hands, and more importantly the eyes. They normally focus on where your attacker is aiming for next. Keep your body tensed when in close combat, and closed off. You're too open. That's how I changed direction of hits so fast. Again."

This time, Lancelot struck first, aiming for her chest, and she blocked, gripping the staff with two hands to block again as he came down hard from above. Aurora pushed it off, and spun until her back faced the man and she was angled towards his ribs, which she aimed for next. He crumbled to the floor on one knee, and, again, Aurora placed her staff against his chest.

The two battled for hours, stopping briefly every hour, but it was safe to say he had improved dramatically in the hours from sunrise to sunset.

"Good work. Arthur's gonna have a difficult one this time." Aurora smiled, linking arms with the man as they journeyed back within the walls of Camelot.

Gaius treated both of their bruises and sore muscles, and Aurora sighed as she lay back in her bed.

"Long day?" Merlin guessed, moving behind her to rub her shoulders.

"You can say that again."

"Long day?" He repeated, and Aurora reached back to slap him.

"Not literally, you clotpole."

Merlin laughed, a soft and familiar giggle that made a smile rise on Aurora's face.

"I love you, Merlin."

"I love you too, Rora."

Aurora stood with Merlin and Gwen on the side-lines, an arm through his as they watch Arthur approach Lancelot.

"Well- here we are. Your final challenge. Succeed, and you join the elite; fail, and your journey ends here. Lancelot, the Fifth Son of Lord Eldred of Northumbria..." Arthur looked back at a man standing beside a sand timer as he turned it over, "Your time starts now."

Both men slipped on their helmets and Aurora studied Lancelot's stance, hoping he would take into account their training. He unsheathed his sword, gripping with two hands as he readied himself.

Already, Aurora could see the flaws. His legs were too close together, his arms weren't close enough and his body was angled to where it was easy for Arthur to hit him.

"What an idiot."

Arthur lunged first, coming from above, forcing Lancelot to block and swing down at Arthur's legs. The zing of swords clashing together made Aurora's ears tingle, and she tightened her grip on Merlin.

The two swords locked before Lancelot pushed away and swung his sword to hit Arthur's helmet, sending him stumbling backwards. The three smiled in unison, Gwen clapping excitedly.

Lancelot aimed for Arthur's legs, but the Prince blocked, sending their swords back into battle again. Arthur ducked as Lancelot swung messily at his helmet, and Aurora was surprised that Arthur didn't immediately knock him down.

He aimed again for Arthur's legs, and then his stomach, forcing the Prince back before the tables turned, and now Lancelot was stumbling back as Arthur sent his after hit.

Their swords locked once again, and Arthur brought up his spare arm to hit Lancelot's jaw, knocking both him to the ground and his helmet to slide off.

The arena fell silent, and Aurora placed a hand over her mouth as she watched Arthur push his sword down into the grass. He pulled off his helmet and stood over Lancelot.

"Shame." He said, leaning down to take Lancelot's flag as he surged up, knocking Arthur down and standing to his feet to rest the tip of his sword against the Prince's chest.

"Do you submit, sire?" Lancelot asked, sword still pointed at his chest when two guards gripped his arms to drag him away.

Arthur stood to his feet, face a picture of rage and he pulls his sword from the grass.

"On your knees." He hissed, and Aurora took a step forward, hand resting on one of the spare swords in the stand.

The guards forced Lancelot to his knees and Arthur pressed his sword to his heart, staring down at him in anger.

Thank Heaven's Arthur wasn't mad, Aurora thought as she stood beside Morgana and Gwen, watching Uther knighting Lancelot.

"Arise Sir Lancelot, Knight of Camelot."

The rows of knights behind him began clapping, and soon everyone joined. Aurora shared a look with Merlin, his face a picture of joy, and Aurora couldn't help but smile at the large grin that painted his face.

"Who is this man? He seems to have come out of nowhere." Morgana whispered to the handmaidens, and Gwen replied as the applause died down.

"I know. He's been a bit of a surprise. To all of us."

The groups began to split off, and Aurora joined Merlin as Uther took Lancelot to one side, speaking to him quietly. The knights then surrounded him, shaking his hand.

Lancelot broke away from them all, standing in front of the siblings.

"I have you to thank, Aurora. You trained me well." He dipped his head in respect, and Aurora smiled, a faint pink coating her cheeks. Arthur looked on, eyes narrowing as he watched Lancelot kiss her hand.

The Prince led Lancelot off along with the other knights, and Aurora stood behind with Merlin.

"I saw that blush, sister."

"Shut up, Merlin."

Aurora flattened her dress as Merlin and Gaius spoke, the three watching Lancelot and Arthur interact.

"Does Lancelot not deserve this moment?"

"I never said he didn't. But destiny and deserts are not the same thing. You played God, merlin. You set him on a path of your choosing. Tonight, you have brought him triumph. But who knows what the future may hold." Gaius replied, and Aurora nodded, letting the words play through her head.

"Yeah, I don't know what it said on your invitation, but on mine, it said celebration."

Gaius and Aurora laughed.

"Point taken."

"We might have to add him to our board of sarcasm, Gaius." She laughed, and the man nodded.

"I still don't understand what that is." Merlin added as Gaius walked off.

Aurora joined Morgana just as Gwen walked off, and the two girls poured themselves drinks.

"Arthur's talking about you." Aurora smiled, taking a sip as she glanced back at the men.

"Of course he is. I look stunning." Morgana laughed, turning to face Arthur with a smug look. Aurora watched Gwen and Merlin talk, and she smiled, turning her attention to Arthur when he knocked on the table.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in a toast to our new recruit." He bent down to lift Lancelot up to his feet, "Our new knight of Camelot... Sir Lancelot!"

Cheers and applause followed his speech, music beginning to play in the background as Aurora clapped with a smile on her face.

"Arthur or Lancelot?" Morgana leaned closer to whisper the question in her ear.

"Neither. I'd rather Gaius." The two laughed, and Morgana nodded.

"Hear hear."

The witch had the smart idea to not drink more than a goblet or two. The boys however... did not have the same idea.

"Two yards of ale?" Lancelot asked as he walked down the stairs to the main room, and Aurora looked up from her book.

"Two miles more like."

Gaius joined them holding two cups.

"Good morning gentlemen. Don't look at it. Don't smell it. Just drink it."

They did as told, faces contorting in disgust.

"Better? Good."

Aurora jumped to her feet, walking closer to straighten their clothes.

"Can't have you nodding off first day on the job, can we Lancelot?" She smiled and Merlin gently pushed her back.

"That's Sir Lancelot, if you don't mind."

The four laughed as the door creaked and opened, two guards storming in and grabbing Lancelot.

"King's orders."

Merlin tried to make them stop, but they didn't and the room fell silent.

"He's going to be arrested. Quite possibly killed." Aurora stated, moving back to her seat as she opened her book again.

"How can you say that and not care? It's our fault-" Merlin began, and Aurora cut him off, standing up again.

"No, Merlin. This is your fault. All your fault. Gaius warned you, i've warned you so many times, mother has warned you, Will warned you, yet you still decide to do it. You don't see the consequences of things, Merlin. And if you do, you ignore them. Because you're not the one who deals with it. I am sick and tired of saving your ass every time something goes wrong. And one day, i'm not going be there to save you." She retorted, storming off into her room and shutting the door behind her.

It was almost dark when Gaius called her down, and she did so out of respect. She sat on a stool beside the table he stood at, the opposite side of Merlin.

"I've realised my mistake. I've been looking for the creature in the wrong place. In the records of all known living things in the kingdom. And then i thought-"

"- what if the creature was a myth? Or wasn't recorded in living because they're legends? Folklore?" Aurora stepped in, now standing as she leant over Gaius' shoulder.

"Exactly. And I discovered this." He moved his hand from the page, revealing a drawn image of the creature.

"That's it! That's the monster." Merlin said, looking up to share a glance with Gaius as the tower bells once again began to ring.

From the window, Aurora watched people running around, screams filling the air to be drowned out by the roars of the creature.

"Oh what a surprise. The bloody bird's back again." Aurora groaned, racing out the door and grabbing a sword on her way out. She watched the knights assemble in the courtyard, angling their spears up.

"Defence!" Arthur yelled, and they dropped to a crouch, wielding their shields above their heads. The creature seemed frozen in the air, staring down at them and shrieking before it swooped, diving straight through the circle of knights.

If it weren't for the circumstances, Aurora would've laughed. The knights rose again, forming an arrow behind Arthur. They slowly began to advance as the creature paced back and forth. He ordered for them to charge, and the Prince began trying to wound the creature as the others defended themselves.

Arthur readied his spear, lunging forward again to stab it. He pushed it forward into its skin, but the spear snapped in half, and succeeded only to anger the creature more.

It lashed out, causing Arthur to topple backwards and cover himself with his shield as the creature reared in front of him.

"Oi! Over here you bloody chicken!" Aurora yelled, taking the creature's attention from the Prince to her, and it raced towards her, shrieking loudly.

"Aurora!"

She ignored Arthur's scream, instead rolling across the floor as the creature leapt towards her, launching her sword up into the underbelly of the creature. She whispered a quiet incantation, watching her sword glisten red before it slit down the creature's stomach.

Aurora hauled herself to her feet, running towards the knights as the creature let out a scream of pain. The floor began shaking as it chased after her, and Arthur gripped her hand to pull her behind him, covering the two with his shield.

Two guards ran out, one wielding a torch, and he threw it to Arthur, hoping the fire would scare the creature. Aurora jumped out from behind him to grab it, handing it to him as he waved it in it's face.

The witch stumbled back as more knights swarmed forward to grab her, pulling her back to safety. The creature shrieked again before taking off, and the courtyard fell silent.

Aurora stayed silent, gripping her arm as she watched the King and Gaius talk about the creature.

"I've been researching this creature, sire. I believe it to be a griffin."

"A griffin? What's in a name?" The King asked, adjusting his stance.

"The griffin is a creature of magic."

Uther's face instantly changed, and Aurora mentally rolled her eyes.

"I don't have time for this, physician."

The two continued to fight over the "magic" creature and Aurora huffed quietly.

"I'm not so sure, father. I think there may be some truth in what he says. The griffin was unharmed, sire. Our weapons seemed useless against it." Arthur began to explain but the King was adamant.

"Useless? I think not. No, it's tasted our steel once. The next time will be it's last. When will your knight be ready to ride again?"

"An hour? Maybe two." Arthur replied, and the King insisted that they'd finish it that night.

The three walked back to Gaius' house in silence, until Merlin spoke up about the griffin. Aurora sat in her usual seat, hugging her knees to her chest.

It was obvious the creature would only be killed by magic. That's how most magical creatures worked. Hint is in the name.

"If Arthur rides out against it, he will die."

"Then we must stop him. Uther must see reason." Merlin replied, but Gaius shook his head.

Aurora zoned out again, her mind racing. She hurt the creature using magic. If she could get there again, and fight it, she could kill it. Arthur nor the knights needed to be hurt.

"...I don't have magic that powerful. There must be another way." Merlin was pleading, pacing.

"This is the only way."

"Do you even care what happens to me? Just do this, Merlin, do that, Merlin. Go and kill the griffin, Merlin. I'll just sit here and warm my feet by the fire." The warlock began to mock Gaius out of panic, and the man's face hardened.

"Merlin. Merlin, you are the only thing I care about in all this world. I would give my life for you without a thought. But for what? I cannot save Arthur. It is not my destiny. You know."

Aurora stood to her feet, startling the two men as she looked up.

"I'll do it."

"What? Rora, no-"

"Merlin." She gave him a harsh glare, mind already set, "I'm going. I'll kill that chicken and I'll save lives while I do. So what if I get harmed, so what if I die? It's my destiny after all."

"Aurora, this is too dangerous. Let your brother handle it." Gaius tried to persuade her, and she scoffed.

"I'm not some little dolly, Gaius. I'm a woman. I'm a woman and I'm a fighter. So don't either of you dare tell me no. I'm going to do this whether you like it or not."

The room fell silent, and Aurora tightened the belt around her waist, pulling her hair back again and leaving up to her room to gather her things.

She had two hours to figure out how to kill that griffin, and she was determined to do it herself. There was a knock at the door, and Gaius opened it, placing some books on the table.

"I didn't saw no because you're a woman, Aurora. I said no because it would pain me greatly to loose you. It would pain a many people."

"They'd miss Merlin more." She stated, taking the books and turning her back to him.

As she studied, her mind began to wonder, and as much as she hated when that happened, in her state of concentration, she couldn't stop it.

Aurora, once again, began to think about the future. Her future, Merlin's future, Camelot's future and so on. Would she ever see her mother again? Maybe if she was supposed to be Queen, she would bring her mother down to Camelot. And her father. Whoever he was.

There were times she wished she never left Ealdor. Late at night when she couldn't sleep, during the day when she worked for Morgana. All time really. However, she didn't regret her decision. Home lied where Merlin was, and she was in no way shape or form going to allow him to wander off alone.

The clash of sword on stone arose Aurora from her mind, and she walked to the window, opening it wide and resting her head on her arms.

In the courtyard stood Arthur, weapon in hand as he practised attack after attack. The sun was low in the sky, golden rays highlighting his hair and eyes as he turned with each lunge. Aurora deemed the thin strings of his shirt rather useless because with every jump he made, they slipped free, allowing the dimming light to reflect on the sweat dripping down his chest.

Aurora stopped herself from looking any further, slamming the window shut and returning to her spot on the bed, trying to shake the thoughts of Arthur from her mind. Said Prince glanced up at the sound, watching the flickering candlelight in the window, catching a brief glimpse of Aurora's face as she turned away.

Gaius had been kind enough to gift the witch a dagger as she practised a spell to allow the creature to be hurt. She barely slept, staying up for the majority of the night by the fire to perfect it, and make sure she could hide the red tint to the blade.

Gwen burst in, eyes wide with panic as she explained Lancelot was planning to ride out and kill the griffin. Aurora rolled her eyes, sliding the dagger into it's sheath and wrapping it around her waist as she left the way Gwen had came, Merlin a step behind her.

"I'm coming with you."

"As am I."

"No you're not." Lancelot replied, not sparing the two a glance as he saddled his horse. Him and Merlin engaged in a fight about not being a soldier and blah blah blah before Aurora cut in, fed up with the men.

"For Uther's sake, will you shut up? Arthur needs all the help he can get, and I'm not letting him die because some stuck up boy wanting to be a knight is stopping me from killing that bird. Now let's go."

She stormed away to saddle her own horse, leaving the men in a shocked silence.

"That's my sister."

Arthur and the knights had already rode out by the time all three were ready, and they followed the tracks. Aurora shivered as the cool metal of the dagger pressed against the exposed skin of her waist.

"Are you cold, Aurora?" Lancelot slowed his horse to match her speed.

"I'm fine. Just a breeze." The witch was already layered up in a jacket and cloak, one of which belonging to Merlin.

Lancelot unbuckled his satchel, removing another cloak, and he leaned over to wrap it around her shoulders.

"Thank you."

The familiar call of the griffin's shrieks filled the air, followed by the clash of swords and shouts, causing all three heads to turn. They moved off the path, increasing their pace as the sounds grew louder.

Silence fell in the forest, and Aurora dismounted upon noticing the unmoving figure of a knight. His distinct blond hair revealed him to be Arthur, head resting up against a boulder. Merlin and Lancelot joined her as she checked his pulse, trying to move him to a more comfortable position.

"He's alive. Most likely hit his head hard. Won't do much damage, it's already big enough."

A screech interrupted Merlin's reply, and their heads snapped up. No sign of the creature. Lancelot rushed back to his horse for his sword.

Of course, now was when the griffin crept out from the fog, stretching it's wings and watching the siblings. Lancelot rode by in front of them, stopping to turn and face the griffin, lance pole in hand.

Merlin slipped his hand into Aurora's.

"Do it with me, Rora." He whispered, and she nodded, a silent acknowledgement of his plea, and the two watched Lancelot's horse rear back. The warlock began chanting, his sister holding off.

He repeated the spell, yet nothing happened, and his face contorted in fear.

"Aurora, please." He mumbled before incanting again.

"You've got this, Merlin. Focus." She squeezed his hand, and his eyes locked onto the pole as he repeated the spell for the final time.

It lit up, streaks of blue fire encasing the pole, circling around Lancelot's arm like a ribbon and bouncing like waves each time the horse hit the floor.

Aurora's face glowed in the light, and she smiled, seeing the same smile on her brother's face. Merlin squeezed her hand.

"Thank you."

Lancelot and the griffin collided, spear piercing straight through it's chest as the blinding light swirled around the wound. With a final screech, the creature fell dead, and Lancelot continued riding off, bringing his horse to a stop.

Merlin placed both hands on his head, a recognisable action to his sister as he laughed in disbelief. Lancelot removed his visor, and Merlin yelled out in happiness.

Aurora watched the smile rise on Lancelot's face, and she returned it as Merlin's shout awoke Arthur. The Prince began to scramble to his feet, sword in hand when Merlin dragged Aurora away from the scene, the two hiding behind a tree to watch the outcome.

Arthur looked from the griffin lying motionless at his feet to the figure on the horse, outlined in the fog.

"Lancelot."

"Sire."

"You did it! You killed it, Lancelot." He yelled out in joy, and Aurora cracked another smile, following after her brother as he raced back to Gaius' home.

The witch burst through the open door moments after Merlin, and, seeing the wide smiles on both men's faces, rushed into Merlin's arms. Gaius joined the siblings, and she giggled, trapped between the two of them.

"Thank God."

Gaius began preparing a large feast, and Aurora collapsed beside Merlin by the fire. She crossed her legs, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'm proud of you, Merlin. I knew you could do it."

"I thought you would've wanted to. After your big speech about being a woman." He teased, earning a slap on the back of his head.

"Shut up, Merlin. I'm trying to compliment you."

"Like I was last night? Before you broke out in a tantrum?" Gaius piped in, and Aurora looked back at him with a betrayed expression.

"Gaius!"

Merlin burst out laughing, angling the top of his body to pull his sister into a hug.

"I'm only joking, Rora. Thank you."

Aurora rolled her eyes, a smile slipping through her annoyed façade.

"I suppose you're welcome." She nudged his shoulder affectionately, and the room fell silent. Until Merlin added the:

"So... you're a woman, hey?"

Followed by a series of "ows" and "dammit Rora"s, and a couple laughs from Gaius, the mood was set.

Lancelot left the following morning, with a much needed hug from Merlin and a polite kiss on the hand with Aurora.

"I thank you, Aurora, for your training. I know you did not believe in me much, and I shall admit, neither I to you, but I hope I have proved myself in your eyes. And I hope that one day, our paths may cross again." Lancelot finished with a smile, and the witch returned it, pulling him into a hug.

"Don't do anything stupid, Lancelot. I'll see you again, I'm sure of it. Until then, I bid you farewell, and safe travels," Aurora removed the jewel-encrusted dagger Gaius had given to her, and she placed it in his hands, "Return it to me, you hear? It's only a borrow, not a keep."

Lancelot smiled, securing it in his belt and dipping down in a bow to kiss her hand again.

"Farewell, my lady."

"Until next time, Sir Lancelot."

We did it! Chapter 5 is finally complete! Thank you all for sticking with me through this incredibly rough time and I thank you for all of your love! We've made it to 700 reads, what the heck?? That's awesome! Let's keep it up, and I hope you've enjoyed Sir Lancelot <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 1.4K 17
The prince of Camelot has a secret he has yet to reveal and his manservant, Merlin , has the same secret. They can't reveal it until the right time c...
82.4K 2.2K 22
My name is Prince Merlin Aragon Ambrosius, and I hate being a prince, so much that I ran away from home, to live in Camelot, a place where my kind ar...
457K 18.2K 49
Merlin's been Arthurs manservant for four months. How long will it be until they have the courage to tell each other how they feel? Are they going to...
135K 3.2K 32
Merlin took his sister with him when he went to Camelot. What he didn't realise was how much this would affect his destiny. And how much danger there...