Holding On

By blueberry_pan

[ON HOLD] "Freak!" "Don't you dare call me 'Dad'!" "Fag!" "I'd rather see you die." ~ Everyone has their own... More

A/N (Read before you start the book)
Holding On
01. Carols
02. Games
03. Date
04. Broken
05. Friends
06. Fireworks
07. Truth
08. Father
09. Crutches
10. Memories
11. Stalker
12. Hair
13. Sinners
15. Panic
16. Invitation
17. Rocks
18. High-school

14. Drunk

11 2 0
By blueberry_pan

Chris completely stopped crying after two more glasses. He was drunk to the highest point now. "I'm gonna dress that jerk in a clown costume and force him to dance with the cheerleaders." He shouted in anger. Heather burst out laughing. "I'm gonna dump Kyla's head in a toilet bowl with shit in it." He shouted even louder and Tim shushed him. Chris put his finger on his lips. "Shh." He smiled goofily, almost falling from his chair.

"What about the other one?" Heather asked, thinking dramatically.

Chris spread his arms in welcome. "Why don't you give us an idea, your highness?"

Heather's face lit up. "We'll burn all her animated movie CDs." She giggled and Chris cackled happily. He even clapped for her. "Thank you, thank you." She bowed proudly. When she bent down, she felt an uneasy feeling in her stomach. "Uh-oh." She muttered.

Chris turned to see Heather stumbling towards the bathroom as fast as she could. When the door closed behind her, he heard gagging noises. "Oops." He said and burst out laughing. He pushed himself away from the counter and walked towards the bathroom door. He leaned against the door frame and yelled, "You okay, Heathy?" More vomiting answered him.

Finally he heard a flush and the door opened. Heather had to hold the frame with both hands to keep herself from falling. "My head!" She complained.

"Wanna drink down the vomit?" He offered.

A shudder ran through her body at the thought of more alcohol. "No thanks."

"Okay then. Let's go catch you a taxi." He swung her arm around his shoulder and took her towards the door. She was groaning and leaning all her weight onto Chris so he half dragged her outside. He booked a taxi and loaded Heather into its back seat. "Do you need me to come?" He asked, considering the idea of letting a drunk Heather go alone in a taxi at that hour.

She shook her head and seemed to sober up a little. "No thanks. I'll manage. Good night!" She smiled and the taxi drove away. He hoped he did not do anything stupid by staying behind.

He staggered back inside and paid the bill without even looking how much they drank. He shoved five hundred bucks in Tim's hand. "My friend's car is in your parking space. Is it okay if she comes tomorrow?"

"No worries." He assured and counted the money. "Good night, Chris!"

He waved and walked out of the bar. It was around one as he wandered off to the main road and got into a taxi. He was not sure why, but he told the driver to take him to St. George's hospital.

The taxi stopped in front of the back gate of the hospital and Chris gave money yet again without paying attention to the amount. The car drove off leaving him under a street lamp. The white building loomed above him, surrounded by a tall wall. He leaned against the pole and lifted his head up to look at the top. The street was empty except for an occasional car or two.

He chewed his lip and thought of a specific nurse. If he had been sober, he would have stopped thinking about him, but now he had the excuse of being drunk. He looked down and drew lines on the pavement with his toes unconsciously. He still hated the overly warm aura Ryan radiated, but he couldn't deny his hotness. Only a few could look handsome in nurse uniforms and Ryan pulled it off. He was so warm towards Chris. Chris was not conscious enough to bring an argument for that. He wondered if he was into boys. What if he was? An excited sound escaped his throat. But how would he know? Maybe he already had a girlfriend.

He slapped his head. "Shut up!" He snapped.

"Christian?" A voice asked from under the shadow of the wall.

Chris's head snapped back up. Ryan stepped out from the gate. He was wearing one of his worn out jeans and blue Converse. He looked as if he saw a ghost. Chris was not ready to face him in the middle of the night. He turned and tried to run, but his body refused to cooperate. He tripped and fell. He fell on his shoulder on the wet pavement.

"Ouch!" He exclaimed: What a graceful greeting for a cute guy he met two weeks ago.

Ryan ran to him and helped him up. "Are you okay?" He asked, but the smell hit him first. "Are you drunk?" He demanded letting him go. He scrunched his nose at the state of the man. Christian couldn't stand up straight and what had he done to his hair? He wore all black that it took Ryan a moment to spot him under the broken street lamp.

Chris pursed his lips. "A little." He giggled like a kid. Why the heck was he giggling?

Ryan threw him a look and Chris stopped giggling. "What are you doing here at this hour?"

Christian jabbed a finger at him. "What are you doing here at this hour?" He would have looked intimidating if he was not struggling to keep a straight face and stand straight.

"Do you want me to catch you a taxi?" He asked, concerned about the little man.

Christian waved him off. "Oh, I was just going to go." Then he turned to walk away, but almost hit the pole next to him. He stopped himself before he embarrassed himself further. "Oops." He sidestepped to escape Ryan's eyes.

"Hold on, little guy." Ryan suddenly grabbed his hand. Christian's eyes widened as he turned to look at their interlocked hands. Ryan ignored him. "Come on, I'll drop you off." He did not like the idea of Christian wandering off in the streets in such a bad condition.

"Uh-" Was Christian blushing? He seemed to consider the offer for a minute. "Okay, thanks." He smiled goofily. How much did he drink?

Ryan let go of his hand to check his phone. The taxi was on its way. "I booked a taxi. It'll be here in a few minutes."

Christian put his hands in his jacket pockets and leaned against the street lamp. "How are you?" He asked suddenly.

Ryan looked up at him and saw that a shadow had fallen over his face. The guy was drunk alright. "Good. How have you been?" He pointed at his leg with his chin. "I see they have removed your cast." Christian nodded. "Why did you cut your hair?" Ryan asked, curious. "It was nice before. No offence." He quickly added.

He laughed without humor. "I didn't cut it." He said. "My father did. He thinks only faggots grow their hair." He ran his hand through his buzz. "Have you ever heard of such theories?" He asked.

"Faggots?" Ryan asked before he could stop himself.

Christian flinched at the word. "He doesn't like me being gay." And Ryan regretted asking everything in the first place. So he was gay, he couldn't help but think.

He looked away. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

Christian laughed again. "It's okay. Since I'm drunk, you better ask whatever you like. Others hardly get this chance." Ryan only cleared his throat. "Do you have a girlfriend?" He suddenly asked, startling Ryan.

He coughed in surprise. "W-what?"

Christian took a step towards him. "You probably have one. I mean with your face, you must be popular among women."

Ryan decided to go with it. "Oh, I don't have a girlfriend yet," he bit his lip before adding, "or a boyfriend."

The other man's mouth twitched a little. "That's a shocker." He was silent for a moment, shifting awkwardly. "Are you free this weekend?"

"Yeah."

Christian cleared his throat. "So you wanna hang out? I don't have anything to do either."

Ryan smiled. "Sure." Christians face split up in a huge grin at that. "Smiles look good on you." The other man bit his bottom lip and blushed.

"Thanks." Then he muttered, "you're hot enough to make me come here in the middle of the night too."

"Thank you." Ryan replied completely knowing he wasn't supposed hear that.

Christian cursed under his breath and blushed. Ryan chuckled silently. "Hey," he frowned, offended. "Why are you laughing?"

"You suck at flirting." Ryan pointed out.

Christian's face turned red as a tomato. "Sorry, I haven't dated in years."

His brows went up. Years? "Don't tell me you're hung up on someone you dated years ago."

This time, Christian eased up and laughed as well. "It's nothing like that. It's just-" Ryan heard the rev of the taxi from the distance and walked up to the road.

The car stopped and Ryan opened the door for Christian. He stumbled inside before him and the car drove off with the two men in the back seat. Christian told his address to the driver which was on the way to Ryan's apartment.

"Where is your friend?" Ryan asked as the car slowly drove uptown.

Christian smiled. He was cute when he smiled. Too bad he didn't when he was sober. "She went home. She threw up in the bathroom." He sounded like a child. "She's fine." He added as if he was asked.

"Don't bring her if we're meeting this weekend." Ryan said.

Christian considered that. "Sure. Like a date?"

Ryan nodded. "Yeah, like a date."

"That'd be cool. But aren't you too old for me?" He asked.

He looked at him with a pointed look. "Do I look that old to you?"

"Yeah, around thirty?" He asked, studying him.

Ryan was impressed with his guess. "Twenty eight to be precise."

Christian gasped dramatically. "Dude, that's six years!"

"You make it sound like twenty years." Ryan said back.

He shrugged and smiled. Christian's smile was officially one of Ryan's favourite things. "Yeah. I guess, age is just a number. I never thought I'd ask out a guy who's six years older than me."

"I never thought I'd plan a date with a twenty-two year old man either." Ryan shot back, a little offended.

Christian looked up as if realizing his words were rude. "Oh didn't mean to offend you. You are a very pretty boy in my opinion." He said very seriously.

Ryan almost choked on his own air. "Thanks, I guess."

He took his phone out to check the time to shake off the awkwardness only he felt and suddenly Christian snatched it from his hand. "Gimme that."

"Hey!" He tried to grab it, but missed. "What are you doing?"

He held the screen before his eyes and demanded, "unlock it!", instead.

Ryan narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "For what?"

Christian rolled his eyes. "To save my number." He shook his head in disappointment. "We can't go on a date if we can't contact each other."

"Give it back to me and I'll save it." Ryan snapped, but Christian shook his head with closed eyes. Ryan was too tired to fight with him, so he unlocked it.

Christian giggled as he typed his number. His fingers were unsteady, but he managed to save the number. Ryan checked the phone when he got it back and in the contacts he saw the name Chris with a wink-y face next to it. Ryan looked up at Christian and he winked at him. He was impressed. He did not expect the small man to be so forward.

After a few moments, the car came to a stop before a fancy house. Christian had some fortune, Ryan thought as he took in the structure.

Christian turned to him then. "See ya, Ryan." It was the first time he said his name.

He watched as Christian's small frame disappeared behind the gate and smiled. He looked at the wink-y face as the taxi took him home and wandered when the date was going to happen. He couldn't wait for it.

-

The next morning, Chris woke with a splitting headache. He was still wearing the clothes from the night before and one of his shoes was under his pillow. He couldn't remember how it got there. He disposed his clothes and stood under the shower for a couple minutes before brushing his teeth. He put on some loose clothes and downed some aspirin for his headache. He sent a message to Heather saying he was fine after seeing three missed calls from her. Then he headed towards the kitchen to find some food. As always, Bella had kept his breakfast on the table even though it was almost twelve.

"Bella!" He called out as he sat down.

She materialized out of nowhere. "Yes, sir?"

"Can you make me some coffee?" He asked.

"Yes, sir."

He took his bread and started spreading mixed fruit jam on it. He heard the coffee machine being turned on in the kitchen.

"Bella, did Ken tell you how I got home last night?" He asked. The only things he remembered were Heather gagging and him waking up in the morning.

Bella came to him with the coffee cup. "Ken said you came in a taxi with a man." She answered and set the cup down beside him.

The butter knife slipped from his hand and landed on the floor with a clang. He could not feel his own body. He wanted to transform himself into a bread slice. His face went red with anger towards himself and embarrassment and terror. "Oh shit!"

-

"Shit!" Chris repeated for the millionth time.

"Chris, chill!" Heather repeated for the billionth time. Chris was currently pacing in his bedroom  while Heather tried to calm him down through the phone while he kept up his I-know-how-to-swear show. "It's nothing serious." She added even though she knew it wouldn't change his mind.

"Nothing serious?!" He literally yelled at her. "I flirted with him and gave my frigging number!" He kicked the wall angrily. He ran a hand through his hair: a habit he could not let go even after losing it. "If Dad finds out... Ugh!" He covered his face with his Tee.

Heather frowned. "Forget about your dad and calm down. He'll call someday, right? Tell him you were sorry and that you didn't mean anything."

He stopped pacing. "Say sorry?" He spat. "After I saved my number in his phone with a wink-y face and asked him out on a date and called him a pretty boy?" He started pacing again.

Heather sighed. "Listen," she wished she could meet him and reassure him. "Just chill and wait. When he calls, take a deep breath and explain to him. He'll understand."

"What if he doesn't?" He rubbed his eyes.

Her mother yelled from the kitchen to help her with dinner. She sighed. "Look, I gotta go." Chris sucked in a breath. "Just pull yourself together. The world won't end if you refuse to go on a date."

He only sighed. "I know." He muttered.

"Good." She smiled, "Bye."

He didn't protest when she hung up. She was right; what was the big deal about it? He was just drunk and stupid when he asked Ryan out in the first place. There was no way he was going to go on a date with him. Finally Ryan texted him the next day in the afternoon.

Unknown number: Hi, Ryan here

You: Hi

Unknown number: Am I disturbing??

You: No

Unknown number: I was planning to text u yesterday, but got caught up in work. Hope u r ok

You: I'm fine

Unknown number: Must have been quite a hangover

Chris laughed nervously.

You: Lol yes

You: Sorry about that night

Unknown number: U were practically hammered

Why couldn't he just let it go? Chris whined internally. Ryan did not send anything for a few seconds. When Chris was about to switch off his phone, he sent a text.

Ryan: U shouldn't drink that much u know

You: I'm not ur patient anymore. I know how to handle myself

He smirked. He was concerned about his health, was all he could think. Chris shook his head. He couldn't date him. No. He considered going on just one date at one point, but decided against it. He should put a stop to everything before they got out of hand. They texted about random things back and forth when finally Ryan brought up the date.

Ryan: So... is our date still on?

You: About that...

Chris chewed his lip as he thought of a way to put it into words. He kept typing and backspacing it.

Ryan: Christian...?

Finally he gathered enough courage to hit the send button.

You: I was completely drunk that night and behaved like a complete ass. I wasn't thinking about what I was saying. I'm sorry but I have no interest in going on a date. I tend to go overboard when I'm drunk. I'm sorry to confuse u. Hope u understand

Hi! Yup Chris flirting. I realized after this chapter that I am exceptionally good at writing drunk people. Maybe I'll write a "Drunk People Scenarios" book or something. I must be the first author to be confident about writing drunken characters. Maybe I was an alcoholic in my previous life? Because this chapter just flowed.

Ok sorry about my ramble. Just,

Vote, Comment, Share and Enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 201 28
I'm falling... Falling, helplessly and inevitably; completely at the mercy of the forces dragging me down. Having to trust in an entity's blind inten...
109K 7.6K 55
Growing up in chaos isn't simple for all. Not many could cope. They would struggle and kick, but ultimately drown. However, for Dakota, that was his...
5.3K 858 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...
382K 14.5K 50
| • | • | What's life without drama | • | • | How could you know love without experiencing heartache. |...