Danmachi: The Grand Reaper

By KneeOil

Death's right hand crawls out of the pits of Tartarus. More

Information
Prologue: #1 Grandpa in Hell
Chapter 1: Finding Bearings
Chapter 3: A Glimpse of Power
Chapter 4: Hell on Earth
Chapter 5: Preparation for the Dive
Chapter 6: One Answer and One Hundred Questions
Chapter 7: A Meeting With Old Friends

Chapter 2: Conflict

3K 46 17
By KneeOil

Sometime earlier when Bell was at the gates...

Freya was doing her usual thing which was watching for any promising souls. But as usual, she turned up nothing.

Freya: It's all so boring. It's been centuries and I've still not found my Odr. When will he show himself?

She was sitting in her room with Ottarl behind her as she gazed outside her window. She had a lost look until she found a certain rabbit.

Freya: What is that?

She saw his soul, or lack thereof. As a Grand Reaper, he gained resistances to the powers of gods including charms, toxins and divine mirrors. This would mean that Bell could not be spied on by other gods allowing him to live freely without the worry of his privacy being disturbed.

Freya: That boy has no soul? That can't be right.

Ottarl: What do you want to do about him?

Freya: Investigate him. He doesn't look dangerous at first glance but who knows, he could be a boost for the familia.

Ottarl: It will be done.

Time passed and morning came. Bell began looking for familias to join, but was repeatedly turned down.

Filler God A: You look weak.

Filler God B: Get lost, we don't need a weakling here.

Filler Goddess A: Comeback when you're level 2.

Bell: What's wrong with my looks? They never even gave me a chance.

Five minutes later...

Bell: I guess I'll do this one last for today.

He came upon the gates of Twilight Manor. At the front was a short black haired human and a grey haired werewolf. Bell went up to them to ask for a place in their familia.

Bell: Excuse me, I'd like to join your familia please?

Bete: Huuuh? Wait, it's you!

Raul: You know this boy?

Bete: Your that kid who vanished back at the Hostess last night!

Bell: Vanished?

Bete: Yeah, there one moment and gone the next.

Raul: What are we waiting for?! I'll get the captain to test him. You bring him to the training area.

Bete: Brat, with me.

Bell: Okay.

As they made their way there, Bell admired the size of the manor. It looked nearly as big as the castle back at home.

The two made it and stood around while they waited for the Loki captain. The wait wasn't long as a short, blonde prum arrived with a dwarf and an elf along with the goddess Loki.

Loki: So this kid's tryna join?

Raul: That's right, goddess.

Loki took a good look at Bell. She could tell at first glance the boy was more than he let on.

Bell: Hello goddess, my name is Bell Cranel and I'd like to join your familia.

She'd never felt this from anyone in all her time in both heaven and the lower world. She inquired about from Bell before anything else.

Loki: Before anything, I want to know what you are. I find it hard to believe you're human.

Riveria: What do you mean?

Loki: I doubt you children can feel it ,but this boy I emanating an aura I've never felt before. Seems like only gods can feel it for now.

Finn: Maybe we can narrow this down with his origins. Can you explain where you came from before you came to Orario?

Bell: Oh sure, I grew up in Tartarus with my grandfather Hades for pretty much my whole life.

...

Bete: The hell you mean you grew up in Tartarus? No one knows if it's real much less survive there.

Riveria: And the grandson of a god, the god of the underworld at that.

Gareth: He's got a point lad, that's hard to believe.

Loki: He isn't lying.

Finn: Come again?

Loki: He's telling the truth.

Raul: So Bell's a demigod?

Bell: No I'm fully human. If I had to guess, you probably felt my reaper aura.

Loki: Kid, I've seen reapers a few times but I know that you aren't the same as them.

Bell: Well I guess being a Grand Reaper makes me different from the others.

He scratched his cheek as the others just looked at him.

Raul: Grand Reaper?

Everyone was confused except for Loki and Riveria who were shaking.

Riveria: G-Grand Reaper?

Loki: That's impossible. The last Grand Reaper appeared over 40,000 years ago from what I've heard.

Finn: You know that that is?

Loki: They are considered death's right hand. They have the ability to end the life of anything alive as well as revive anyone. They have complete control over life and death and can tip the balance of the living and dead realms.

Everyone stared at Bell in shock. This boy became something that came from legends nearly forgotten.

Bell: Is that a bad thing?

Loki: No no, it's just surprising. Still, I'd like to speak with Hades before anything but with his job, that's probably not happening.

Bell: He said that I should come here and start a life to live normally like everyone else here.

Loki: Kid, you gave up being normal the moment you became a Grand Reaper.

Riveria: Aren't you being a little hard on him?

Gareth: Yeah, so what if he's some legendary figure, he's still just a young boy.

Loki: Yeah well this "young boy" can pretty much solo all three of the Great Beasts many times over before getting tired.

Everyone was quiet at this. The strongest mortal in the world was right next to them.

Finn: Well, since your strength is the real deal, let's test you. You'll be fighting me. I want to see how good you fighting skills are.

Bell: Yes sir.

As they warmed up, others gathered near the training ground to watch  the fight.

Bete: So how bad does Finn have it.

Loki: As bad as it gets. The boy's nice at least so Finn shouldn't get too hurt.

Ais and the Hyrute twins came to join the others to watch what was happening.

Tione: Riveria, what's going on.

Riveria: Finn's testing a new member.

Tiona: New? You mean he got in before the fight?

Loki: I approved of it, Finn just wants to see the kid's moves.

They finish warming up and get ready to fight.

Finn: Do your best, Bell! ( Just don't kill me.)

Bell: Right!

Bell drew his Reaper blade and Finn readied his spear. They waited for a bit before Bell made the first move. A downward slash to Finn's shoulder that Finn had to dodge.

Finn: (Fast!)

Bell kept up the pressure while Finn was stuck on the back foot, looking for an opening and break Bell's rush.

Finn: HAAAGH!

Finn saw his chance and was able to break out. He then used all his speed and strength to attack Bell, but the young boy just dodged him.

Bell: (Weird, he's moving pretty slow for a captain. Wait, he must be testing me. Uncle always said to assume that my opponent is hiding his inner strength.)

AN: He wasn't hiding his inner strength...

This kept up until Finn backed off, completely out of breath. Then suddenly, Bell started stretching again.

Bell: Okay, I'm all warmed up now.

Everyone looked at the boy dumbfounded by his words. Here was the captain of the second strongest familia in Orario, outpaced by a random boy.

Tione: Oh no, are you okay captain?!

Tiona: That kid's insane! He isn't even breathing hard.

Ais: He's strong...

Finn: I'm sorry, did you say warm up?

Bell: Yeah, if I don't do that before fighting seriously, I could hurt myself. That's what my teacher taught me.

Finn: Very well then, I concede.

Bell: Huh, but we barely did anything.

Finn: The difference between us is too great. We'd just wasting time by fighting more. It's your win Bell, good job.

Bell: Thank you sir.

Loki walked up along with the other executives to congratulate him.

After, Bell went to register his familia back at the guild. As he went there, he was stopped by a tall boaz man.

Ottarl: I ask you come with me, my goddess wishes to speak with you.

Bell: I'm terribly sorry, but if you're here to invite me to join, I've already joined the Loki Familia.

Ottarl: I see. Well, if you seek assistance, my goddess offers her support should you ask.

Bell: Well thank you. I'll be sure to thank your goddess in person.

Ottarl: I'll be taking my leave then.

Ottarl: (He has an aura of innocence but that pressure he's trying suppress begs to differ. I should let Lady Freya know of my findings.)

Ottarl left and Bell continued onward to the guild.

AN: I'm gonna avoid making Ottarl a punching bag for now so sorry if people expected his blood.

Bell found the guild again and went inside to find Rose. When he did, he walked up to the counter.

Bell: Miss Rose.

Rose: Bell? What can I do for you?

Bell: I'm here to register to a familia.

Rose: Alright, which one are you joining?

Bell: The Loki familia.

...

Rose: Are you lying?

Bell: N-No, of course not.

Rose: Then do you have some sort of verification for this?

Bell: Well...

Riveria: I can vouch for him.

Rose: Miss Riveria?

Bell: What are you doing here?

Riveria: To make sure that all goes well for our new member. Not just everyone gets in the Loki familia so people would be doubtful if someone who looked like you claimed they joined us.

Rose: Well, if it's you, I can confirm that you are apart of their familia, Bell.

After some time, Bell's registration to the Loki familia was complete. He thanked Rose and left with Riveria only to find more Freya familia members waiting outside. When they saw him, they sent him angry glare before catman walked up to him with a furious look on his face.

Allen: So your the squirt that says their part of the Loki familia. Normally I'd be fine with that since none of them are a threat. Then I find out you denied the audience of our goddess. That cannot be allowed to pass.

He drew his spear and attacked Bell who just dodged with little difficulty. Many watched in awe as the supposed Loki rookie was dancing around a first class of Freya.

Allen: (Why can't I hit him?)

AN: It's so easy to bully Allen so bear with me in my other stories.

Bell: You done yet?

An angry tick appeared on his forehead as he rushed Bell, more ferociously than before. Bell parried the blows with his index finger. When Allen stopped, everyone saw how his weapon was chipped and dented wherever it hit Bell's finger.

Allen: How?

Riveria: Are we to take this as an attack by your familia?

Ottarl: No, we're here to collect this idiot before he does something worse.

Riveria: Well then, we'll be on our way. Let's go Bell.

Bell: Okay.

They left and news of this bout spread like wildfire. No one could predict what this boy would do from now on. Finn had to lock down the manor because of all the people trying to find answers. Bell's new life starts here and he was ready.

AN: Another down. Special is on the way and looks like Reincarnation of Talent is leading by a reasonable margin. I'll be off vacation by tomorrow so my schedule should be more stable.

As always, thanks for reading,I hope you enjoyed and I'll see you in the next one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.7K 657 40
The seven are at their weak point. with their leaders gone and Gaea taunting and worrying the remaining five some are about to be pushed over the edg...
14.2K 181 35
Set 5 years after season one of DanMachi. A man stumbles into Orario, half Dead, with a giant hole in his kidney. He falls into the hands of Hephaest...
450 23 3
What if a boy who wanted to be a hero decided to help the same monster who hunted humans since the start of time and decide he will be the one to sav...
16.9K 648 12
Reincarnated into Danmachi? Great. Missing an arm? I can deal with that. Being the last living Dark High Elf now the gods won't leave me alone becaus...