A Court of Wings and Fate

بواسطة LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... المزيد

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

18. Advice for Rites

839 44 4
بواسطة LeeraIvy

The artwork above is not mine.

◦═══✦═══◦

Mikael stepped out of the shower and fluffed his wings out, hoping to dry his feathers faster. Apparently, wet wings were unavoidable with showers. He'd tried a variety of methods to keep them dry, but his wings always ended up wet regardless.

Umbra slithered up to his neck as he dried himself and tugged his clothes on. The shadow was calmer now, compared to how it used to be. It seemed content to limit its movements and stay out of sight. Mikael stroked it with a finger, then left the bathroom.

His bedroom was empty when he arrived, but he could hear laughter from the main room. Celeste, Sienna, and Estelle were there. Mikael wasn't sure where Nyx and Calden were. He pulled a preening comb out of his satchel and set to work on one wing.

Footsteps filled the hallway shortly. Umbra dove down his sleeve as Estelle entered the room. "What is that?" She asked, pointing to the comb.

"A preening comb. It's what we use to keep our feathers clean."

"Did you comb all that mud out of your feathers the time it rained in the Dawn Court?"

Mikael grinned and began preening his other wing. "No, I used water to get most of the mud out."

"I thought water was bad for feathers." Estelle sat on the edge of her bed. Her shadows seemed to be watching him intently. She was too.

"It makes it difficult to fly, but it's not harmful. Just uncomfortable. I usually let my wings air dry after they've gotten wet, then I'll preen them." He knit his brows. "Did you never see Celeste or Sienna preen?"

Estelle shook her head. "If they did, it was in the bathroom or their bedrooms." Mikael stood as he finished preening. He ruffled his feathers again. They were almost dry. "Do you have to consciously do that or does it just happen?" Estelle asked.

"A combination. I don't really have to think about it, but it only happens if I want it to, just like any body movement."

"Oh." She began to ask another question.

"Are you planning on becoming a scholar too, Batsy?" Mikael teased. "I thought you were going to tell me about the Blood Rite."

Estelle rolled her eyes. "Come on." She left the room abruptly.

Mikael bit his lip. Maybe I should let her ask whatever questions she wants? It might help her trust me. It could help me trust her. If we trust one another, we'll get along better.

They seemed to be getting along better already. Mikael still couldn't believe that Estelle had sought him out today. It was always the other way around. And...he wasn't entirely certain how to interpret what she'd said to him.

You'd look good in white, Feathers. Or maybe gold.

Was it just an observation or had she been...flirting? With him? Then there was the way she'd studied him before making that statement. Mikael had never felt such scrutiny before, but it hadn't angered or frightened him. The opposite, in fact. It had almost excited him. An unfamiliar feeling fluttered through his stomach. He didn't know what to think of it. Of her.

"Let's go, Feathers!" Estelle hollered.

Mikael shook the thoughts aside and left the room. He'd think about that later. He met Estelle in the main room. Celeste and Sienna lounged on rickety chairs before the fireplace.

"Where are you two going?" Celeste asked.

"For a flight," Estelle replied vaguely. "I was going to show Mikael a few things."

Both Sienna and Celeste looked surprised. "Are you getting along now?" Sienna asked hesitantly.

Estelle's critical amber gaze flickered towards Mikael. "I'm not sure yet." She headed out the door.

"Keep us updated," Celeste called as Mikael followed Estelle.

She spread her wings and took off once he joined her. Mikael leaped into the air. The cool currents brushed against his feathers and his muscles tensed. He gave a conscious shudder, loosening them again.

"Where are we going?" He asked. Windhaven was receding behind them.

"Somewhere you can see Ramiel and the three Holy Stars better."

Mikael raised an eyebrow, but didn't question her. Estelle curved her wings, rotating herself onto her back. She stretched her arms out, inhaling deeply. As she exhaled, she swooped down and flew upright once again. The shadows drifted around her, bouncing with delight. Umbra matched their energy, vibrating against his arm.

Estelle banked down presently. Mikael could see a small valley in between several mountains. A stream trickled through it, leading into a glistening pool. Spots of white shone on the ground, reflecting the heavens. Estelle drew her wings up as she landed. Mikael followed suit. He stooped, plucking one of the flowers that glowed in the moonlight. It was a snowdrop.

Estelle hopped onto a boulder and sat, letting her wings fall slack. Mikael sat down beside her, twirling the snowdrop between his thumb and forefinger. Estelle pointed to a large mountain peak in the distance.

"That mountain is Ramiel," she said. "It's where the Illyrian Blood Rite takes place every spring. It's warded year round so no one can travel beyond the base of it. Once the Rite has begun, no one can interfere. Not even Rhys. During the Rite, novice warriors are left at the base of the mountain. Their weapons are taken, their wings are bound, and their magic is rendered useless. They are given a week to reach the summit."

"At the top of Ramiel is an onyx monolith. Those who touch it win the Rite and will be automatically transported out of it. Where you are on the mountain when the Rite ends determines which of the three warrior echelons you will be sorted into. Carynthians are the ones who reach the summit. Oristians make it to the mountain but don't reach the top. Arktosians are the ones who don't make it to the mountain, but survive the Rite."

"The echelons are named after our three Holy Stars." Estelle pointed them out as she named them. "Arktos, Carynth, and Oristes. They're on the Night Court's insignia." Mikael studied her as she drew her knees up to her chest, staring at the stars. There was something determined in her eye. "I want to become a Carynthian."

"Why?"

"It's rare for females to enter the Rite. Even rarer for them to become a Carynthian warrior. Becoming a Carynthian will help me prove that I've earned my place amongst our warriors. I'll earn my tattoos and siphons. I'll be a true warrior."

"So you haven't completed the Rite yet?" Mikael asked.

Estelle shook her head. "Devlon doesn't think I'm ready, so he's refusing to let me participate. I'm getting worried that Nyx, Corbin, and Lysander will be able to enter the Rite before me. Dad says that's not true, but...I'm not convinced."

"I think Devlon is right." Mikael continued quickly as Estelle stiffened. "I'm a skilled warrior, but not as skilled as other Peregryns, and I still bested you. You're a Shadowsinger, the daughter of the Angel of Death and the Illyrian Dragon. You're a good warrior, but you could be better."

"Everyone tells me I'm too impulsive and hot headed. They don't think I'll make it through the Rite. They think I'll let anger blind my judgement."

"Anger can be blinding, but it can also provide clarity. You just need to learn to focus through it. Instead of giving in to impulse when you're angry, think. Make a plan. Use your knowledge. Let your anger give you the strength you need, but don't let it overwhelm you."

"You make it sound easy," Estelle chuckled.

"It isn't easy, but if I can do it, so can you."

"You have anger issues?" Estelle raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't say anger issues," Mikael rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "But I have my moments, same as anyone. You've been on the receiving end of them."

Umbra squeezed his arm. Mikael recognized the prompt, but ignored it. She's in a decent mood. The last time I tried to apologize, I just pissed her off. I don't want that to happen again. I'll apologize when I know it won't spark an argument.

Estelle stood and shook her wings out. "We should get back."

Mikael nodded. He lifted the snowdrop to his nose as Estelle took off. Its fragrance was weak, but familiar all the same. She must spend a lot of time here, he thought. He tucked the snowdrop into a fold of his leathers and flew after Estelle.

◦═══✦═══◦

Their time in Windhaven seemed to be flying by. Between training and visiting Velaris, Estelle's days were full. She found herself feeling more optimistic about returning to the Dawn Court. Her friendship with Sienna and Celeste was growing by the day. Calden seemed decent enough and Mikael... Well, they weren't arguing anymore.

Estelle breezed through the streets of Windhaven, heading back to the hut. She'd been training all day and her sore muscles were crying for a shower and rest. Even her shadows were unusually quiet. Her recent lack of sleep wasn't helping either. Estelle kept listening for the missing shadow, but she still hadn't heard it. That was only adding to her worries.

Estelle rounded a corner and crashed into someone. Nyx caught her by the elbow, steadying her before she could fall. "I was looking for you," he said.

"What is it?"

"I was hoping to make use of the promise you gave me. Lys, Corbin, and Dad are in the Summer Court, and Devlon and Jorah went to visit your parents. Now is a good time for me to get away."

Estelle gave her cousin a smirk. "A short flight to the Spring Court, I presume?"

Nyx nodded, barely managing to hide his blush. "Venelia insisted."

"Don't blame her. I know you've been wanting to go since we came back. I can cover for you. How long will you be gone?"

"Probably until dawn."

Estelle elbowed him. "I can't help you if you fall asleep in the middle of training tomorrow."

Nyx grinned and shook his head. "If that happens, it'll be solely my problem. I just need you to come up with an excuse to give Mikael and Calden. They'll probably ask the most questions."

"I'll tell them your mom summoned you home so you could model for paintings at her art studio."

"They'll never believe that."

"They might." Estelle picked at her nails disinterestedly. "I could also say that you face planted into a mountain and had to pay Madja a visit."

"You are a cruel creature, Estelle Marzena."

"Do you have a specific excuse in mind?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "I don't know. Tell them...Dad summoned me to the Summer Court at the last minute."

Estelle tapped her chin. "They might believe that. All right."

"Thank you, Essie."

"Don't have too much fun, Nyxie." Her cousin rolled his eyes and spread his wings. Estelle waited until he was out of sight before continuing on her way.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

912K 38.3K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
59.1K 1.9K 18
𝐄𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚: 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬. She saw herself as one could view the moon. Isolated from everyone, alone in the da...
134K 5.4K 58
Eblis survived years of torment in the hands of Hybern, an enemy continent disrupting the peace of Prythian and the Human Realms below it. She suffer...
86.2K 3.3K 50
For many years, Evren Bastile has been a notorious Human assassin, known for killing High Fae. She has been honing her skills for one High Fae in par...