A Court of Wings and Fate

By LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... More

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
7. Falsified Rebuttal
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

13. Breaking The Ice

857 49 6
By LeeraIvy

    Mikael woke early and tugged on his leathers before sheathing Lovis across his back. He ran his fingers through his hair and fluffed out his feathers, then shook his wings out. Umbra curled around his arm beneath his leathers. He was getting used to the feeling by now.

    He headed out the door, keeping his footsteps quiet so as to not wake the others. They would be leaving for the Night Court today and Mikael had been summoned by his fathers for a last minute meeting. He'd already chosen the group of Peregryns accompanying him to Windhaven and Nyx had said that Estelle took care of the Illyrian group.

    Mikael left his hut and found Ameer waiting for him. His arms were crossed and he wore a look of disapproval. "What?" Mikael knit his brows.

    "Did you get in another fight with Ronan?"

    Mikael shook his head. "No, I've been avoiding him ever since the last one. Why? What happened?"

    "I found him blackout drunk near the training rings this morning. There were bruises all over his arms, around his throat, and he could barely speak again. I know you favor throat punches, especially when it comes to him."

    Mikael shook his head once more. "I swear it wasn't me, Father." Umbra trembled against his arm, as though it were angry.

    From the corner of his eye, he saw a slight movement. Estelle emerged from a street close by. She headed towards them, her gaze set with resolution. At once, he understood. She had been the one to fight with Ronan this time. If she told his father, she'd face some sort of punishment.

    "It wasn't me," Mikael repeated, "but I'm sure whoever it was had their reasons. Ronan is an unpopular male."

    Estelle froze and Ameer studied him thoughtfully. His father nodded at last and beckoned for him to follow. Mikael glanced at Estelle as he leaped into the air. She spun on her heel and walked away.

    Mikael followed Ameer up the side of a mountain and through the clouds. When they emerged above them, sunlight reflected off the opalescent Palace. Mikael grinned happily. It had been far too long since he was home. He might not be there to stay, but even a few minutes in the Palace would be enough.

    They drew their wings up and landed. Thesan was already waiting for them beneath an archway. Ameer greeted him with a kiss, then backed away. "I'm going to go make sure the preparations for the transfer are in order." Thesan nodded and Ameer rested a hand on Mikael's shoulder briefly as he passed by.

    "Come." Thesan held out an arm. "Tell me how the last two weeks went. Letters are hardly enough, especially when you made them as short as you did."

    "Sorry," Mikael rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "It seemed strange to be writing letters to you when you were just a short flight away."

    "I missed you too," Thesan chuckled. He draped an arm over Mikael's shoulders, pocketing his other hand. "Now, elaborate on your letters. Did training go well? Were there any problems? Have you and Estelle started to get along?"

    "I can't answer all your questions at once, Father." Thesan inclined his head. "Training went all right. The Illyrians listened to Father's orders and were willing to partner up with Peregryns. There weren't a lot of problems. I got along well with Nyx, Lysander, and Corbin. They seemed to like Calden."

    "And Estelle?"

    "Celeste and Sienna had no complaints about her other than she's quiet and a little nervous at times." Thesan raised an eyebrow. Mikael sighed. "We got into another argument the first time we trained together. I tried to apologize later, but I just made her even angrier."

    "Then what happened?"

    "She mostly tried to avoid me and I kept trying to find her. We trained together one more time after I told her there was a move she'd done that I wanted to learn. She agreed to show me how to do it, mostly because she'd get to hit me in the process. We didn't argue though, so I'd consider that some progress."

    Thesan nodded approvingly. "Do you have a plan for befriending her?"

    Mikael shrugged. "I'm more or less just going to annoy her into liking me."

    Thesan threw his head back with a laugh. "Let me know how that works out. I'm curious to see if you'll be successful."

    They reached a familiar hallway and Mikael entered his room. He grabbed a sheathed dagger and buckled it at his hips. He paused beside his desk and picked up the portrait of his mother. Briefly, Mikael recalled his father's words.

    I want you to be proud of who you are, and where you came from.

    "Do the people know who my mother was?" Mikael asked.

    "Some might. Those who knew her. Many of the Peregryns did. Why?"

    "I was just thinking that the people might be more willing to accept me if they also knew where I came from. They should know who Mother was. It might help them see who I am."

    "What did you have in mind?" Thesan touched a hand to his shoulder, eyeing the portrait as well.

    "Can we have someone replicate this but on a larger canvas, like our portraits in the Great Hall?"

    A bright grin spread across Thesan's lips and he nodded. "Of course. I'll have someone get started on that while you're in Windhaven."

    "Thank you, Father." Mikael hugged him tightly. "I should get going. We'll be leaving for Windhaven soon."

    "Be sure to write while you're there," Thesan called. "Two paged letters at least!"

    Mikael laughed as he stepped onto a veranda and spread his wings. He leaped into the air, letting the warm currents carry him back to the Peregryn training grounds.

◦═══✦═══◦

    "I can't wait to see what Windhaven will be like," Celeste gushed, hurriedly stuffing clothes into a satchel. "Are the mountains cold or warm like ours? What are the huts like? How long will we be training? Are there any handsome males?"

    "You'll see soon enough," Estelle giggled.

    Celeste gasped, suddenly. "Do you think we could get Illyrian leathers like yours? I've been dying for a pair ever since you arrived."

    "That could be arranged. My Aunt Emerie owns a clothier shop in Windhaven. She's usually there a few hours a day, after training with Aunt Nesta and Gwyn at the House of Wind."

    "You have a lot of aunts," Sienna remarked. "How many have you mentioned now? Feyre, Nesta, Elain, Mor, and Emerie?"

    Estelle nodded. "They're not actually my aunts. Nesta and Feyre's mates, my uncles, Rhys and Cassian, are like my father's brothers. I've always called them my aunts and uncles." She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "There's also Amren, but I've never called her my aunt. She lives in the Summer Court now, with Prince Varian. Oh, and my Aunt Jorah. You'll meet her in Windhaven. Her mate, Devlon, is the Warlord there. They'll oversee our training."

    "You mentioned you have a grandmother as well?" Celeste asked. "Where is she?"

    "She owns a bakery in Velaris."

    "Velaris." Celeste collapsed onto the sofa with a dreamy sigh. "The City of Starlight. Once thought a myth by the outside world. I can't believe we might get to see it."

    "While my uncle might have revealed Velaris' existence to the other Courts, he still keeps its exact location a closely guarded secret," Estelle pointed out. "You won't be able to see it."

    "Meaning we won't be able to visit or we won't be able to actually see it?" Senna asked.

    "Both. Maybe you'll be allowed to visit later on, but for now, you'll have no idea if you're even looking at it."

    "Oh." Celeste sounded slightly disappointed. "I suppose that's understandable. I'll just have to explore Windhaven."

    Estelle's smile shrank. "There's not much to see, I'm afraid."

    "That's because you've seen it thousands of times. I'll be seeing it for the first time. I'll see things that you might never have noticed."

    "Fair point. Be sure to tell me if you see something interesting." She swung her own bag over her shoulder. "We should get going. We're leaving soon."

    "Lead the way," Sienna offered. She pulled Celeste to her feet and they followed Estelle out the door.

    Peregryns and Illyrians alike were already gathered around Commander Ameer. Mikael hovered beside him as well. Estelle spied Lysander, Nyx, Corbin, and Calden just ahead. She joined them, taking her usual place beside Nyx. Celeste skipped over to Lysander and Sienna accompanied her.

    "I expect to hear only good things about you all when you return," Commander Ameer called, catching their attention. "Good flying." The Illyrians and Peregryns at the head of the group took off.

    Estelle saw Mikael give his father a brief hug before leaping into the air. He spread his large white wings and soared on ahead. He'd seen her that morning. He knew she had overheard his conversation with Captain Ameer. And somehow, he knew she was the one who'd attacked Ronan, but he hadn't said a word about it.

    Ronan flew farther ahead. The shadows whispered warnings as her gaze rested on him. He should not be coming. He will ally with your enemies. Only destruction will come of this.

    I know, Estelle sighed, but what can I do? We can't stop him from coming and we can only do so much to keep him away from Ze'ev and his friends.

    The Prince of Sunrises could help.

    If I asked for Mikael's help, I'd have to explain the problems we've faced with Ze'ev. That's not something I'm willing to do.

    Why?

    Because I don't know or trust him.

    Yet you defended him.

    It was a one time thing, Estelle replied, rolling her eyes. We've only spoken once without arguing. Do you think I want to give him more information to use against me?

    He apologized.

    You know as well as I do that he didn't mean it.

    "Look out." A hand grabbed her arm and stopped her before she would have collided with a Peregryn. Estelle looked back at Mikael as he released her. "You're off in your own world today, Batsy."

    "I was talking to the shadows." Estelle put more distance between the two of them.

    "About what?"

    "None of your business."

    "Are you glad to be going home?"

    "I'm not really going home. I'm going to Windhaven."

    Mikael rolled his eyes. "Are you glad to be going to the Night Court, then?"

    "Yes."

    He has a question for you, the shadows said. And he scored another point.

    "What is it?"

    Mikael blinked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

    "You have a question for me. What is it?"

    "How did you know... Oh. Shadows." Estelle nodded. "I was going to ask what happened with Ronan last night."

    "He sexualized me and I let him know I didn't appreciate it."

    Hot anger seeped from the shadows. Estelle narrowed her eyes, seeing that same anger within Mikael's chestnut eyes. Are you trying to show me what he's feeling? She asked the shadows.

    Not all of us. She wasn't sure what that meant. The shadows spoke again before she could ask. Tell him the whole truth.

    Why?

    Why not?

    Estelle sighed, but relented despite herself. "And he insulted you. I gave him a thorough warning."

    "What did that warning say?" Mikael asked cautiously.

    "He should show more respect for the male who could one day end his life with a single word."

    "Do you think I would have him executed for insulting me?"

    "No," Estelle scoffed, "but does he need to know that?" She flew further ahead, leaving Mikael behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.8K 1.8K 27
"It was perfect. Everything we'd dreamed it would be. The only thing that wasn't perfect...is me." After the events of Shadowsinger, Solstice is comi...
362K 11.1K 63
Daemati are feared and coveted throughout Prythian. Seren Marzena is one of the few among their ranks. When her power is revealed to Beron Vanserra...
663K 26K 75
TW: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thanks. (Book one in the Starlight series...
28K 1.7K 92
Life in the Night Court is difficult for Lysander Marzena between juggling his official duties and personal affairs. As a high-ranking Illyrian warri...