Masked

By MNJGreenhill

❧❧WINNER OF THE WATTYS 2016 for VORACIOUS READS ❧❧ An invisible enemy. A deadly virus. A human hacker and a W... More

Foreword
PROLOGUE | who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
CHAPTER 1 | wildfire
CHAPTER 2 | the summons
CHAPTER 3 | the meeting
CHAPTER 4 | an uneasy truce
CHAPTER 5 | something wicked this way comes
CHAPTER 6 | mind the personal space
CHAPTER 7 | hidden alliances
CHAPTER 8 | Into The Public Arena
CHAPTER 9 | peace offering
CHAPTER 10 | death comes to nederland
CHAPTER 11 | hell house
CHAPTER 12 | subject 13
CHAPTER 13 | breakthrough
CHAPTER 14 | family secrets
CHAPTER 15 | playing with fire
CHAPTER 16 | another piece of the puzzle
CHAPTER 17 | crumbling walls
CHAPTER 18 | ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?
CHAPTER 19 | Oh, What A Tangled Web We Weave
CHAPTER 21 | into the lion's den
CHAPTER 22 | there's an app for that
CHAPTER 23 | stan lee has left the building
CHAPTER 24 | Pandora's Box
CHAPTER 25 | caffeine by any other name
CHAPTER 26 | things just got worse
CHAPTER 27 | there are three sides to every story
CHAPTER 28 | Human Customs
CHAPTER 29 | Pizza
CHAPTER 30 | now you have him now you don't
CHAPTER 31 | a picture tells a thousand words
CHAPTER 32 | do unto others
CHAPTER 33 | a blast from the past
CHAPTER 34 | the road to hell...
CHAPTER 35 | prisoner
CHAPTER 36 | who's going to tell him?
CHAPTER 37 | way to bury the lead
CHAPTER 38 | plans
CHAPTER 39 | the zealot
CHAPTER 40 | a rose by any other name
CHAPTER 41 | where is the cavalry?
CHAPTER 42 | once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
CHAPTER 43 | rescue
CHAPTER 44 | revelation
CHAPTER 45 | a wolf in sheep's clothing
CHAPTER 46 | long road to recovery
CHAPTER 46 | unmasked
Masked available to purchase

CHAPTER 20 | mother told me there would be days like these

96.6K 6.2K 503
By MNJGreenhill

"What do you mean, you've lost him?"

The sound of Daniel's voice shook Parker from her sleep. She raised her head and looked around the room to find him. Sunlight streamed through the window. She checked her watch—it was just after eight a.m.

Daniel was on the phone, deep in conversation, all the while eyeing up a vase on the cabinet.

She pointed at the broken chair and table. "Don't you think you've destroyed enough of the hotel room already?"

"I want you all back here on the double." He pressed the end call button and pocketed his phone. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

She swung her legs off the couch and stretched. "What did I miss?"

"They lost him on the outskirts of the city."

Parker froze. "What happened?"

"That's what I want to know." He rubbed a hand over his dark stubble. "The teams are heading back here now. Simon's waiting for them downstairs."

She had showered, changed, and was eating her breakfast by the time the team shuffled into the suite.

"Where are the others?" Daniel said.

Simon grabbed two apples from the fruit bowl. "I sent them for a run and told them to get some rest." He threw one of the apples at Kyle. "Here Jonas Brothers, catch."

When Daniel threw an angry glare at his beta, Simon quickly dropped his shoulders and skulked to the other side of the room. The others looked decidedly sheepish and kept their eyes downcast.

Daniel crossed his arms over his chest and glared at his team. "What happened?"

Parker threw them a wan smile in support. Daniel's tone was enough to make anyone flinch.

Vic thrust her hands into her pocket. "We can only track effectively when there is a scent. Without it, we are as blind and useless as Humans." She looked over to Parker. "No disrespect intended."

Parker shrugged. "None taken." Like their wild wolf cousins, Werewolves' sense of smell was far superior to Humans.

Simon reached for one of the maps on the table and pointed to a section of the map. "The team was hidden far enough away and downwind."

Vic pointed to a central area. "Once he left the club, we were expecting him to head back to the hotel." She traced the path. "But halfway back, he went into a parking garage where he got into a vehicle and headed away from the city. He must have suspected that someone was trailing him, because he led us on a merry dance throughout the city before we lost him."

Daniel studied the map. "He's naturally suspicious. If he thought he was being tailed, you would've lost him much earlier."

Parker wandered over to the computers that had recorded the footage of Matheo from the night before. Curious about what happened after she fell asleep, she replayed the videos.

While she scanned through the footage, Daniel strategized over the different routes that were possible, and broke the map locations into zones, allocating them to the teams. He was also placing someone near the hotel in case Matheo returned.

The pack, engrossed in their conversation and planning, did not notice her sudden flurry of activity. She had fast-forwarded through most of the recording, only to pause at the point where Matheo exited the nightclub. A chill washed over her as she watched a malicious smile cross his features.

She shuddered. What must his alpha be like? How could something be worse than this?

On the one-hundredth rewinding and scrutinizing of the scene, her eyes were drawn to a small part of the screen. A rush of excitement shot through her body. To make sure she wasn't seeing things, she rewound once again and replayed the section.

How did I miss it?

She felt like doing one of Jay and Zeke's victory dances. Instead, she projected the image onto the sixty-five-inch flat screen.

"The answer is in front of us," Parker said. She moved closer to the screen.

The others stopped speaking, and she pointed at a small device held against Matheo's ear.

"We can track him through his phone." Her mind sifted through what was required. "We need to Bluejack it, and remotely install an app that will provide us with real-time location tracking." She glanced at the paused image of Matheo. "Once I have his data, I'll be able to get into his carrier's database, and find out where he's been, and who he's been talking to."

Although she was jittery with excitement, she hadn't once looked at Daniel. He was already pissed with her. This was about to push him over the edge.

"And just how will you get this onto his phone without him knowing?" Daniel said.

His booming voice made her wince. Daniel's ever-active mind had caught the bit she had avoided telling them. Still not meeting his gaze, she continued addressing the team. "Once I'm within two feet of his phone, Zeke can piggyback off mine to access his Bluetooth. We can get the information we need to download the software and automatically activate it."

The room became quiet. The other members of the team were unsure of how Daniel would react to her plan, considering the events from the previous night.

Daniel crossed his arms over his chest. "And for argument's sake, let's say I allow you to come within one hundred feet of him. Just where will this meeting occur?"

His outwardly calm demeanor unnerved her. "Tonight. Eight p.m. at the hotel bar."

He dropped his arms. His hands clenched in fists, and he stood to his full height. "You must be out of your mind if you think I'd allow you to be in the same room as that killer."

She flinched, and her eyes sought the support of the team, but the cowards were looking everywhere except at her and Daniel.

She resisted the sudden urge to flee, squared her shoulders, and raised her chin. "Daniel, be reasonable. It's the only option. According to the hotel reservations, he's checking out tomorrow. We're running out of time before he goes off our radar again."

"I said no." Daniel crossed his arms over his chest. "And that's my final word on it. I have a responsibility to keep you safe, and you aren't going anywhere near him. Am I clear?"

Her eyes blazed and her lips tightened. "Crystal clear. Tell me, Mr. High-and-Mighty Alpha, do you discriminate against all women, or is it just me?" She slapped Bobby's hand when he tried to pull her away. "Or, do you consider me such a weak Human that I can't possibly do anything to help?"

"P-Parks, I don't think t-that's what he meant." Bobby said.

She cursed at her cousin. "Oh, for God's sake, get a grip. We'll be in a public place with dozens of people in the room. He's not going to try anything."

She turned her attention back to Daniel. "Besides, you can't tell me what I can and can't do. I'm doing this, and that's final."

A deathly silence filled the room.

"Everyone out. Now!"

Simon, Bobby, Zeke, Jay and the rest jumped at the sudden bellow. Not having to be told twice, they bolted for the door and made a quick exit.

Parker narrowed her eyes and pressed her lips together. She was more than irritated at the dismissal. She threw Daniel an angry glare and took a step to follow them.

Daniel growled. "Not you."

She stood her ground. When the door closed, they stood scowling at each other. Her muscles quivered with the strain of being held so tight.

Daniel moved to the window and stared at the street below. "Do you have a death wish?" His voice was exasperated and agitated at the same time. He turned back to face her. "Not only did you not listen to a word I said last night, but you blatantly put yourself in danger. And now you want to do it again? I thought we agreed that it was a one-time deal."

She snapped. "We agreed? You and that damn Alliance seem to think you can dictate my life. Well, let me tell you, buddy, you've got another thing coming if you think I'll stand for it."

Daniel let out a low growl, and his lips parted in a sneer. He paced the room like a caged tiger. "I have a good mind to put you back on a plane to Portland and be done with you."

***

He was torn between two disparate emotions. The tactical commander in him agreed, applauded even, the plan she had outlined. It would allow them unfettered access to Matheo's whereabouts. His team would not be at risk of showing their hand before they were ready.

It would solve all our problems. So, what's the issue?

He closed his eyes and struggled with the battle raging inside him. The Alpha Commander in him had already begun planning the operation, but the man in him wanted to keep as much distance between Matheo and Parker as possible. He had a responsibility to keep her out of harm's way. As much as she frustrated him, she was now firmly entrenched in his life.

His overriding need to protect the packs, and his sense of duty to put an end to Matheo and Elise, finally won over his personal need. He took a deep breath, then let out a long, low sigh. "Okay, we will do it your way. But we are going over every possible detail. I want to make sure we have everything covered, and if you deviate from the plan even once, I'm putting an end to it. You will be on the first plane out of here. Am I—"

"Clear. Yes. Yadda-yadda, I know the drill."

Her face softened. "You may not have faith in me, but I have complete faith in you. I trust you with my life, and I know you will do everything in your power to keep me safe." She added with a grin, "Even if I am only Human."

He rubbed his forehead and sighed. "Okay, what do we need to get him?"

Daniel and Parker compiled a list of items she would need before he called his team in. Once he was comfortable they had covered every aspect of the plan, he dismissed them with a command to rest before the mission.

Simon stayed behind, casually sitting back on one of the couches with his feet up. Daniel noticed that his friend had been particularly quiet throughout the afternoon. He knew something was on Simon's mind, and he did not need to wait long to find out.

"Where's Parker?" Simon said.

Daniel continued to check his lists. "She wanted to get freshened up and find the software she needs for this evening. Bobby and Kyle are with her. Why?"

"Mmmm," Simon said. "You know that Alphas Morgan and Clara consider her part of their pack?"

Daniel ignored the question.

"And you know Bobby's her cousin, right?"

He stilled.

Simon rose from the chair and rubbed the back of his neck. "And you are aware that she has become part of our family, aren't you? The kids adore her, and she's made friends with at least half the pack that live in the valley. Not to mention she's risking her life to help us..."

Daniel's pulse began to race. He did not like the direction of the conversation. It was cutting too close to the truth. "Get to the point."

Simon, not deterred at his mood, shoved his hands into his pockets and glanced down at the carpet. "I see the way you look at her. You will only end up hurting her if you take this any further."

"Don't you think I damn well know that?"

"It wouldn't be so bad if she was any other Human, but she's not. She's Parker." Simon lifted his head and looked straight at Daniel. "While you've ignored her importance to the Alliance, the rest of us haven't. You've been charged with keeping her safe. Nothing more."

His chest tightened, and he broke eye contact, not wishing for Simon to detect his inner turmoil. "If I wanted your opinion, I'd have asked for it." He was finished with this conversation. "I'm pretty sure I gave you a job to do."

Simon left, and Danielremained deep in thought. Simon was right about one thing—Parker was out ofbounds. His feelings were irrelevant. His heart ached as he returned to thematter at hand. To his job. To the protection and safety of those he had dedicated his life to serve.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 82K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...
6.6K 594 44
Living in a world filled with wannabe tinpot dictators (aka Alphas), pack members who disagree with his every move, and dispossessed rogues, Alpha Ji...
6.4K 511 28
Annie thought she survived the attack that turned her into a werewolf, but the full moon came and went, and she didn't shift. Her body is growing wea...
1K 121 30
Kira grew up without a world of supernatural creatures. Her family was apart of a secret agency. She didn't know of these creatures and her family ti...