Darkness' Touch

By silverxxvoid

She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind... More

Chapter 0: Perfect
Chapter 1: Acceptance
Chapter 2: New Life
Chapter 3: Strange but better
Chapter 4: The cherished one
Chapter 5: Lingering Presence
Chapter 6: A fateful encounter
Chapter 7: Different
Chapter 8: Small Talks
Chapter 9: The girl who can do anything
Chapter 10: Downtown
Chapter 11: Children
Chapter 12: Magic
Chapter 13: Bloody night
Chapter 14: Awakening
Chapter 15: Starting anew
Chapter 16: Assets
Chapter 17: Erased and Unseen
Chapter 18: Visits
Chapter 19: Revealing the Untold
Chapter 21: The struggles of learning something new
Chapter 22: Coming Back
Chapter 23: Whereas the Sky is Dark
Chapter 24: A morning inside the Arkwright Household
Chapter 25: Infra Gehenna
Chapter 26: The Unfortunate
Chapter 27: Broken Pieces
Chapter 28: Upcoming Storm
Chapter 29: A Bloodbath
Chapter 30: Long night
Chapter 31: Tired and Exhausted
Chapter 32: Who knows?
Chapter 33: Warming up
Chapter 34: Sweet Silence
Chapter 35: In the Dark
Chapter 36: A little surprise
Chapter 37: No longer a secret
Chapter 38: Reunion, Goodbyes
Chapter 39: Somewhere, Someone New
Chapter 40: Quiet Company
Chapter 41: Chaos avoided
Chapter 42: New challenge, begin
Chapter 43: Troubles rising
Chapter 44: The day that changed it all
Chapter 45: Purest affection
Chapter 46: A new one, a he
Chapter 47: Power to Tremble Before
Chapter 48: How Much a Gem is Worth
Chapter 49: Devotion
Chapter 50: In the Midst of the Crowd
Chapter 51: Opportunistic Friendship
Chapter 52: A Plethora Of Feelings
Chapter 53: Warmth to remember
Chapter 54: Familiar Yet Foreign, Similar Yet Different
Chapter 55: The Sky Wept
Chapter 56: Mayhem Ensues
Chapter 57: Crippling Revelation
Chapter 58: A Favor for A Favor

Chapter 20: New purpose ahead

10.5K 615 82
By silverxxvoid

"How long have you known about this, Father?" Sir Clerivan Harvey Warde asked his father, Esmour Warde who just brushed off his question and continued reading the newspaper on his hands as if he was hearing nothing.

"Relax Sir Stephan. I'm not doing anything dangerous." Avy commented, sitting on a chair in front of the distressed Knight. The shop was temporarily closed since Clerivan was worried someone might recognize the Lady's face just like he did and add to the problem.

"My Lady. You, stepping out of the estate is dangerous enough. You should've asked me to escort you if you wanted to go out. And it's Clerivan, My lady, not Stephan." he politely, but sternly reprimanded Avy.

"Don't be so hard on the Lady, Revie. She's a smart girl capable of getting hold of any situation." the old man interrupted, taking the side of the girl he barely know rather than his own son that he has been taking care of for twenty-eight years.

"Father–"

"Yeah. You're being too harsh on me, Revie." Avy cut him off, emphasizing his nickname with a simper. "And what's the point of leaving discreetly if I have a guard tailing me like a dog?" she added as matter of fact, leaning back on the chair. She turned to the older Warde and spoke.

"You didn't tell me your son manages this District, Pops."

"I did not? I thought I mentioned it before." Mr. Warde said thoughtfully.

"And you don't look alike at all. Except for your gray eyes, of course." she pointed out, whilst the old man has dark brown hair decorated with silver locks because of old age, Clerivan has jet black hair, adding to his mysterious image and cool demeanor.

"But anyways. I'm going back, I'm hungry." she stood up from being seated and looked at the owner of the shop. "I'll come back some other time, Pops." she told him and walked towards the door.

"Please wait here, My Lady. I will call the estate's carriage–"

"Don't be ridiculous, Revie. I'm sneaking in and you will cover for me." she said without looking back. There's no way she would let everyone in the mansion know that she went out without an escort just because a knight found her loitering around outside. Since he's officially her personal guard, it is just natural for him to obey her, maybe she'll threaten him not to tattle on her grandpa later. After all, she can't be stuck inside the estate when Kill is waiting for her to come back.

Clerivan just sighed in resignation, the rumors about the Lady being unbelievably headstrong seem to be true. She is far more wild and free than he imagined her to be, but at least, she's not as gloomy and the first time he saw her.

"I'll be off, Father." he told his father who just waved his hand to shoo him away before following Avy.

The two of them ended up riding a town carriage to drop them off the estate gate, but Avy, like what she told her knight, made the coachman drop her off before they reach the vicinity of the Arkwright Mansion so that she could enter through the secret passage behind the walls. Clerivan passed through the gates with all his things since he will be staying in the residence for a while.

Avy successfully sneaked back, unaware of the thing that awaits her.

~~~

"Come on, fess up. Where did sister go?"

On the other hand, Mariel was in the middle of an interrogation, courtesy of the two young second sons, Ciel and Light. After the incident involving the books, she wasn't able to stop them from going inside Avy's room, and eventually found out she was nowhere inside the Mansion.

"Stop scaring sister's Maid." Ciel snatched Light by his collar, pulling him away from the poor servant who was on the verge of passing out because of nervousness. She was the only one being interrogated since both the boys know that she's Avy's only accomplice. They decided to take matters into their own hands and not bother everyone with it, of course just for a while. If Avy still hasn't shown up before sunset, they would call everyone, including the Duke to have a wide search throughout the whole capital.

"Coming from you. Your face is scary enough to make anyone cry." Light remarked with a huff.

"Let's just wait for sister to come back. I'm sure she has a valid reason why she went outside unsupervised." Ciel ignored the Prince's statement and just focused his attention on the book on his hand. He might look quite calm, sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace of Avy's room, but internally, he was panicking. The last time Avy snuck out alone with her maid, she came back unconscious and was not in great condition for days. What if it happens again? His father personally told him to take care of his sister, that goes without saying of course, but he wants to show the family that he's capable of protecting their only lady.

"Stop making that ugly face. Her maid didn't say she ran away, she'll be back." Light stated and sat on the chair near him. Ciel's face actually didn't have any emotion on it, just a tiny bit of crease on his forehead, but being his rival, the young Prince knows almost everything about him and vice versa. They've been watching each other for years that they know when the other is troubled, happy, sad, or angry. And even without seeing his face, Light knows Ciel is mad worried about his sibling's well-being.

"You know..." Light started talking, maybe if he distracts Ciel from thinking, he might feel better and not kill himself in worry.

"Sister may not be nice..." the young Arkwright glared at him, but couldn't say anything nonetheless. "...but she's really cool. Her actions aren't befitting of a noble lady, but the way she carries herself makes her look like a real Queen." the young Prince said with a smile.

"I don't know why Brother Zach and my older brother don't see her that way. Maybe that's the reason why she went outside without telling us. Or maybe she really did run away because she's hurt after all the rejections she received."

Ciel looked at him with a deadpanned face and said "You're making me feel worse, you stupid magician."

"Hey, I'm being nice to you right now, dumb swordbrain." the Prince glared at him but brushed it off just as immediately. "But anyways. If you want, let's beat up those two someday. I know His Majesty would let us off the hook." he grinned childishly, and Ciel may not admit it, he felt better after hearing him say those words.

"You'll get the both of us killed by sister, nutcase." he said.

"I was just suggesting!"

"Your plan sucks."

"Then do you have a plan?"

"Well. I will make a plan, better than yours."

Mariel just listened to the two boys bicker and insult each other, wishing that Avy would come home sooner to save her from their presence.

And at last, the door clicked open and the person she was expecting to arrive stepped inside, also calling the attention of the two bickering boys.

"You won't believe who caught me downtown, Marie." Mariel was the first one Avy saw when she entered her room, she had her usual stoic expression but it quickly changes when she laid her eyes on her Maid's face.

"What's the deal? You wanna take a shit or something?" she asked and approached the poor maid who was still as pale as a blank canvas. She put her palm on her forehead to check her temperature. "Are you sick? You shouldn't have waited for me. You should probably get going before you puke everywhere. I'm not cleaning your mess." she told her and went straight to her bedside table where a pitcher of water and a glass cup was.

"M-miss." Mariel called her

"What?" she said, pouring herself a glass of water and bringing it closer to her lips before turning around to look at her maid.

That was when she caught a glimpse of the two young lads standing in front of the fireplace, looking at her way, causing her to choke on the water she was drinking.

"M-my Lady!" Mariel rushed to her as she continuously hit her chest while coughing violently.

"Sister!" the two also ran towards her

"Wh-what... are you... two doing here?" Avy asked in between coughs. Taking the handkerchief that Mariel gave her to wipe her mouth.

"We were looking for you and found out you sneaked out." Light answered her straight.

"Where were you, sister?" Ciel added in worry.

"I'm deeply sorry, My Lady." Mariel stated on the side, with her head bowed down.

"No. It's fine. Just leave for now." she told them. Light and Ciel showed a downcast expression but didn't say anything and just headed out of the room, so did Mariel.

"Have you two eaten?" she asked, making the two turn around to face her.

"W-we haven't, sister." Light replied.

"Then wait for me. I'll just change my clothes. I'll talk to you later." it made their face become brighter, they thought she was upset, but it seems like she wasn't.

"Yes!" the both of them said in synchronization before running out of the room.

Avy saw her maid also getting ready to leave with a sullen face.

"I didn't tell you to leave, Marie."

"Are you not mad at me, Mi'lady?"

"There's no reason to be mad. You're the reason I got to sneak out after all. And besides, we're under the same roof with two child prodigies, it's a surprise that they only found out today." she told her in reassurance.

"Now stop blaming yourself and get me a change of clothes."

"Y-yes, Mi'lady." Mariel bowed once again with a smile on her face before complying.

Avy sat on the bed and looked around the room, there is no signs of her curse slave being around. She thought he went ahead first? Did he get lost?

"Ares." she called his name

"I'm eating." answered a voice

"Where are you?" she asked

"The room right next to yours. The brats were guarding your room when I arrived so I had to hide here."

"Get your ass in here, stupid. That's where Revie will be staying."

"Who's Revie?"

"The Knight–"

"My lady, do you need something?" Avy's heart jumped a little when she suddenly heard Mariel's voice, she stepped out of the closet after hearing her lady talking.

"I was talking to myself." she reasoned

"Please just call me if there is something you want me to do." the Maid said and went back to what she was doing.

"I really thought Mi'lady was talking to someone..."

~~~

"Is it true that your magic manifested, sister?" Ciel asked Avy who was seating in front of him, sipping orange juice.

The two of them, including Mariel, Light, and Clerivan were in the garden to talk just like what Avy said earlier.

"Yes. And I'd like to keep it a secret from everyone. With everyone, I mean..." Avy looked at her younger brother before continuing to speak. "...our family is not an exception."

"But sister, learning how to wield magic is not as easy as studying. You might hurt yourself if you don't have anyone to watch over you."  Ciel reasoned.

"I know at least that much, of course. I asked Marie to teach me." Avy pointed her thumb at her maid who was standing on her left. "And Revie will also be there so you don't have to worry about anything." she added, referring to the Knight on her right.

Ciel pursed his lips into a tight line, even without Avy saying it directly, he knows what she exactly meant. She wants to learn magic with only a few people as possible knowing. And he doesn't have the courage to say that he wants to take part in it too, he isn't close enough with her to question her decision, let alone stop her.

"I have a suggestion, Mi'lady." Clerivan's statement broke the silence and all of them shifted their attention to him.

"As far as I remember, His Highness, Prince Light ranked first in the Junior Academy's Magic Assessment, making him the best young wizard to execute spells and even participate in season evaluation of every dorm that only seniors can enter. And Young Master Ciel is second to none when it comes to Mana control, using it in sword enhancement and advancing to intermediate level knighthood classes, also gets to clash with seniors like his highness. If Mi'lady would be able to get help from them, it would only take a short period of time before you could use your Magic properly." he explained.

The two boys just stayed quiet and stared at Avy as they wait for her reply. Even Light sat there with nervousness and excitement.

Avy leaned back and put her elbow on the chair's armrest, touching her jaw with her fingertips while eyeing the two lads with disinterest. It took them a couple of seconds of uncomfortable silence before they heard her speak again.

"Fine."

All of them were able to breathe properly again after she answered, it was as if their fate will be decided depending on the words that she will say. Ciel was the most surprised of it, of course, after all, he has known Avy longer than all of them.

While Light, on the other hand, couldn't understand the emotions he felt, it was like he was desperate for her approval, like he was talking to someone of higher position like his Father, the Empire's ruler. It was the first time for him to be this desperate of being approved and appreciated. And no matter how ridiculous it was, he found himself enjoying that sensation.

~~~

"Those two look like kittens, don't you think?" Avy told Mariel while gazing at the figure of the two boys leaving the garden. After their agreement of having the four be her personal instructors, Ciel and Light decided to excuse themselves, both saying they have to do something important.

Mariel giggled in response, there is no way she would see those two monsters as little kittens. They are one of the most talented teens in the Empire, and that to be said, also one of the scariest.

"They must've appeared like that to you because they are your younger brothers, My Lady." she responded

"Must be a curse. I've been attracting kids recently."

"Then, Mi'lady must be really close with children in your past life."

Avy scoffed "That can't be." she said and picked up the book on the table.

"Can you get the small notebook in my room?" she added which the Maid complied quickly.

"And Revie. Get me some snacks." she told her knight.

"Will you be alright here all alone, My lady?"

"I don't think I'd be attacked in my own home for the second time." she told him.

"Then, I shall come back in a moment." Clerivan bowed his head and left.

Avy clicked her tongue. This is no good, she's getting too accustomed to having people run errands for her. And she's actually fine with it, maybe she really has a knack for ordering people around.

"M-madam?" she snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a familiar voice coming from behind. She turned around only to see the old man who takes care of the garden that she met a couple of days ago standing there.

The old gardener's face showed surprise after seeing her turn around "Oh dear me. Forgive this old man for not recognizing you, My Lady." he lowered his head with a smile. "It's just that, little miss is growing finely like the late Duchess." he said.

"It's fine. The sun's already starting to set. What brings you here, gramps?" she asked.

"I was just checking on the Midnight Flowers. It was Madam's unfinished work that I still take care of until now." Sir Hanson answered.

Avy raised her brows "Unfinished work?"

"Yes. Madam wanted to create a flower that would be an extension of herself. She used to sit in that chair after feeding her mana in the soil where the flowers stand. Sometimes, she sits on the chair in front of the big window inside the Duke's study where the garden is in full view." he said, looking at the Mansion's second floor where a big window could be seen.

"Those flowers still stand today?" she asked in disbelief, as far as she knows, the Duchess has been dead for no less than a decade.

"Of course. The Duke never forgets to supply his own mana to the Madam's flowers to keep them alive. He's been doing it for years and it seems like he's not planning to stop." the old man said with a smile.

"How dedicated." Avy breathed out, the Duke looked like a walking stone that shows no emotions, who knew he expresses his undying love for his wife even when she's no longer alive.

'Lucy would kill for her plants to live longer than her.' she thought, her late best friend crossing her mind once again.

'I wanna raise a plant too.'

~~~

"How's your meeting with your loyal followers?"

Ares greeted her as soon as she entered the room, he was lying on the sofa while eating the leftover snacks he bought earlier downtown.

"I'll start learning magic the day after tomorrow." Avy answered and went straight to her bed.

"Hey Ares." she called his name, staring at the ceiling of her room.

"Hmm?"

"You said you will give me this body's memories if I become your host. How come I haven't received anything yet?" she asked.

"I can't do that all as once. If memories that don't belong to you suddenly enter your head, you'll go crazy. Just wait for it to slowly come back." Ares replied "Why are you asking anyways?" he added.

"I'm curious about this girl's Mom. How did she die? Why did she die? I don't usually take an interest in anything, but I'm really curious. I just can't understand why." she said. Ares sat up and looked at her.

"It's not your fault."

"What do you mean?" Avy also got up and faced him.

"Just focus on learning magic and be careful around everyone, don't let them find out that you have the Power of Darkness. Believe me, you wouldn't like it, even Prosperine and my Owner never did." Ares told her and fell back on the couch again.

"Why?"

"Two times. Both of it triggered a war."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.2K 1.6K 26
Being reborn as Adrianna Deor, the villainess of this novel, could be seen as her greatest fortune, in her life full of misfortunes. After her reinca...
189K 12.2K 62
Nana wasn't someone who could be called ambitious. In fact, her mom liked to constantly remind her that she was too lazy. It wasn't that Nana was l...
2.4K 49 15
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
825 21 42
crappy isekai MC'sthat don't have progress, so, I call them one-shots, despite having an outline and plot that I don't want to write out. "What up...