To the Ground

By survivalofth3fittest

World War IV ended in genocide of the entire world. Luckily, Alyssa Sefarina had a plan to protect and preser... More

TO THE GROUND
PART ONE: UQESA
1.1 To Start Civilization
1.2 Deadly Discoveries
1.3 Deadly Decisions
1.4 All But A Memory
1.5 Survival Of The Fittest
1.7 Kill for Her
1.8 Burn It Down
1.9 Red Tears Fall The Most
1.10 Hell Falls

1.6 Die For Her

44 10 53
By survivalofth3fittest

EXTREME GORE WARNING

They walked past the beach until they stopped on the other side of the forest. They were set between a field of tall, pale grass and the end of the woods. Instantly, they set up their individual tents and perched their water supply in the middle. Aster immediately got to building another firepit since the weather caused them to shiver. Ezra was set against a tree stump until they figured out a different spot for him. His eyes could hardly stay open, and he had begun to throw up at unexpected times. Rarity noted this. He would have to eat something soon -- if he managed to survive.

Jasper's mind was full once more. He had tried to let himself breathe for a moment, but he couldn't help but think about Blaire and Dahlia. The consideration that they might escape and head back to camp-- only for them to not be there made him feel queasy. He would never forgive himself. For the good of the group, however, he felt as if he did well. Their attackers surely wouldn't find them.

Rarity discovered a thin log by the field and grabbed it. Using a separate stick, she carved letters into it. 'SEFARINA' it read. She proceeded to set it in front of their group of tents. It gave them a more homey feeling, though they continued to wish they had never been sent down in the first place. It was hard to believe they were once excited to be on the ground.

"Hey," Rarity approached Jasper, lips nearly touching his ear as she whispered, "I'm going out for Blaire and Dahlia tonight."

He turned to face her. Her expression was wiped with determination. It was clear to him that there was no talking her out of it. As terrified as he was, he owed it to both Dahlia and Blaire. They've helped him greatly since they landed. He decided it was only right to return the favor.

"Okay." He muttered back. "After Aster puts out the fire tonight, I'll meet you by the firepit. We can go together."

"I'm going to steal Aster's gun."

Jasper immediately shook his head, "They'll kill us if they see the gun. Going unarmed will help us make peace with these people."

"I don't want peace with these people. I want them to die. They took my best friend." Rarity's brows furrowed.

"They will definitely kill you before you get the chance to kill them." Jasper frantically whispered, "You're going unarmed or not going at all. We have to show these people our intentions are anything but bad."

Rarity scoffed, "Whatever."

With that, she walked off. After a moment of contemplating, he regretted his request to join her. It was a suicide mission. They would surely be killed equipped or not. Though, he decided not to turn back on his decision. Hopefully, nobody would be awake as they searched for Dahlia and Blaire -- leaving with the both of them alive.

"I know you're still going out," Aster began, startling the shorter teen and causing him to turn around quickly to face him. "Don't worry. I'll run the place when they kill you, you fucking idiot."

Jasper furrowed his brows, "Why are you so comfortable with letting people die?"

"Because I'm not the one dying."

Jasper was shocked at this sentence, though he expected it.

"Well, I care about Dahlia and Blaire, and I'm going to save them."

Aster let out a low chuckle, shaking his head, "Good fucking luck. You've known Dahlia for -- what -- two days? You've talked to Blaire, like, once."

"Dahlia has done a lot for me since we've landed, and Blaire has saved my life!" Jasper grew defensive, "I'm their leader, and I promised I would put their life before mine. It's time to show my people that. Actions speak louder than words."

"You're ballsy, I respect it. You're also stupid."

"I'm the leader, Aster. I have to protect my people."

"By invading their territory after being warned not to? War is what you're going to bring. Humanity clearly hasn't changed." Aster took a pause, softening his harsh tone, "What were your history grades in school."

Jasper was visibly confused at the question, "It's my worst subject."

Aster slowly nodded, "Makes sense. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it."

As Aster trailed away, Jasper stared at the ground and kicked a pebble across the island of dirt surrounded by grass. He was nothing like humans of the past. They were selfish, greedy, willing to kill each other for simple items. He could see a bit of them in Rarity and Aster, but him? No. Jasper would certainly choose peace and kindness before his own needs. Nobody had to be killed.

"Hey, Aster?" He called out to him, soft-spoken voice raising as loud as it could go, which thankfully grabbed the brown-haired teen's attention.

"What?"

Then, his powerful tone was laced with determination, "I'll find them. Nobody else will die. You'll see."

Aster raised his brows, "I'll believe it when I see it, Jasper."

*

"Blaire," Dahlia whispered. She stared at the wound on the girl's bare leg. Ever since she was ruthlessly stabbed, they had been left alone, "You're still bleeding."

Blaire tilted her head back and groaned, out of pain and annoyance, "You don't think I know that? I'm not even worried about it?"

"Why?"

Dahlia was suddenly distracted by the way their voices bounced off the walls.

"I'll probably die of infection before I bleed out."

Her charcoal eyes focused on Blaire's face, silently examining her. Sad eyes held no more tears, though they stained her pale cheeks. She felt guilty for barely a scratch rid her body, yet Blaire was bruised and bloody.

"You're not going to die." Dahlia eventually muttered.

Blaire looked up from the ground, "Why do you think that?"

"Because Jasper-"

"Jasper isn't going to save us, Dahlia! Get that false hope out of your head! This isn't the ship, for crying out loud! Playing hero down here gets you killed! This is the ground. Down here, it's every life for themself. Jasper wouldn't even make it within a foot." Blaire lashed out.

Dahlia's breath got caught in her throat. Hope was the only thing she had left, and Blaire was destroying every bit of it. Perhaps Jasper wouldn't come. They would die in this room- a slow and painful death. The thoughts caused her body to ache.

"I'm sorry," She choked out. "None of this feels real."

"I bet. You didn't have a dagger in your leg."

She disregarded her words, "Still, it doesn't feel real. A week ago I was in my dorm, in my bed, and today I'm chained up above dead bodies of people I once knew." Tears began to form in her eyes, "A week ago, I was able to do my hair, brush my teeth, wash! I was so excited to come down here because I was so oblivious to what was going to happen! I was so happy to see the grass!" She sucked in an immense amount of air, "I just wanted to feel the grass--"

Blaire wasn't sure how to respond as Dahlia sobbed, so she allowed her to get her statements out even if she wasn't listening.

Dahlia's voice cracked, "None of it was worth it for this. Not the sky, or the water, or the grass. I wish I was still in my dorm. If I was in my dorm, I wouldn't be dirty and I wouldn't be restrained. Why did Zaiden do this to us? Why? Why?"

"I don't know--"

"Why me? I don't deserve this! I've never done anything bad in my life! Never stolen, threaten, hurt anybody! The worst thing I've done was -- was-- I don't even know! I bet he knew! He knew what was waiting for us!"

"Keep down, Dahlia!" Blaire scolded, "They might --"

With that, the door was opened and both of their bodies were instantly prepared to be destroyed. The way their sore muscles tensed was more than uncomfortable, but they couldn't relax as the Queen emitted a derisive laugh. She was alone this time, though Blaire could see a wrapped and dirty brown foot outside that undoubtedly belonged to a guard.

"You know, I've been thinking, and I just want to play a game," She hummed, wickedly grinning and revealing her teeth. "Would you die for each other?"

Her head turned to Dahlia and she instantly nodded without a thought. It was a genuine statement -- she was sure she would die for almost anyone. Though, when Sarina turned to Blaire, the brunette shook her head. Dahlia's heart sank to the bottomless pit of her empty stomach. She blinked back fresh hot tears that brimmed her eyes.

"I see. I'll play a game with you two. If one of you tells me to stop, I will. Though, I'll do the exact same thing to the other person." She explained.

"Why?" Asked Blaire.

"Consider it a punishment. Don't worry, you will be let go by tonight."

Dahlia and Blaire exchanged glances. Sarina bent down to grab her dagger and faced the smaller girl first, "Let's get started, shall we, Miss Dahlia Pheonix?"

Dahlia swallowed hard. The blade traced up her bare arm and across her chest until it reached the other shoulder. The skin failed to break, but it left a trail of red on her dark skin. Dahlia sucked her stomach in as far as it would go and leaned back until her back shivered against the stones. Sarina applied more pressure as she went down the other arm. Blood began to drip as her skin was split open with the blade, from shoulder to fingertip. Dahlia cried though she refused to utter a sound.

Sarina proceeded up towards her face, taking the dagger off her skin as she stared deep into her soul. Her eyes revealed many truths. They were almost childish-looking as if she was just ten years old. She had a young heart, that was for certain.

Gripping the handle tightly, she slashed Dahlia's cheek open, barely missing her eye. The girl screamed as blood poured from her face, each crimson droplet going a different direction down her skin. Using her hand, the Queen smeared hot blood around Dahlia's face, into her eye, onto her forehead, as if it was face paint. Sarina grew frustrated, seeing as Dahlia wasn't telling her to stop.

The Queen moved to the corner, grabbing a hammer-like object. Its wooden handle and large, stone top reminded them of the weapon Zaiden used to use to terrify criminals on the ship, though he wouldn't use it. The woman proceeded over to the teen. Dahlia whimpered in fear as she swung it back with all her might before pushing it forward into Dahlia's shin, crushing it to pieces. The shriek that came from her mouth was horrifying. The pain was unbearable, nearly causing her to puke. Her entire limb went numb before fire spread through her blood and forced more cries from her diaphragm.

Still, she wouldn't utter the simple four-letter word that would end it. Sarina's brows knitted.

"Do you want me to stop?" She asked.

Dahlia held her breath for a moment before fast-paced breaths left her lips and she finally managed to speak, "Yes!"

Sarina slowly nodded, swinging her weapon over her shoulder and approaching Blaire who tried her best to stand her ground. Fists clenched into tight, white balls as she was suddenly focused only on the warm liquid running down her skin. Her breathing was loud and slow. She tightly connected her brows to toughen her appearance, which only brought more interest to the Queen.

"Tell me about yourself, Blaire Penn," Sarina demanded.

Blaire ripped her gaze from her for just a second before staring at her in her evil eyes again, "No."

Sarina proceeded to take her stone weapon off of her shoulder. Before there was a changed to swing it back, Blaire grew hysterical. She thrashed in her restraints and screamed.

"No! No! Please! I'll tell you!" She pleaded.

The way she instantly crumbled beneath her grip brought euphoria coursing through Sarina's veins.

"Go on."

"I was born on the day people would call Christmas before," Blaire breathed out. "I had a mom, and a dad, before they were executed for theft. I became an orphan at fourteen and had to take care of myself since."

Sarina nodded, yearning to know more.

"I have a best friend named Rarity and we met in med school when I was fifteen," Blaire's voice faltered and she began to tremble. "I'm sixteen now and she's seventeen, almost eighteen. Her birthday is just next month and--"

"You haven't known her for long," Sarina stated.

Blaire cried, "I've done everything with her."

"Would you die for her?"

"Yes," Blaire didn't hesitate.

"But not for Dahlia?" Sarina gestured to the smaller girl across the room who sobbed as well.

"I don't know her--"

"Tell us about yourself, Dahlia," Sarina demanded harshly.

Dahlia could hardly talk. She could feel the bones inside of her leg muscle, they were undoubtfully broken. She felt if she opened her mouth, she would throw up. Though Sarina held no sympathy and she wasn't waiting long for a response.

"Uhm--" Dahlia quietly blurted out. "My birthday is on the twentieth of June and I'm sixteen. I'm an orphan, too. My dad died when I was six and my mom died when I was ten. I wanted to be a fairy when I grew up." The girl had to stop for a moment to catch her breath. "I'm sorry, I don't know what to say--"

"Silence," Sarina commanded, "Now that you know her, will you still not die for her?"

Blaire pursed her lips and shook her head. The question was clearly a trap. Dahlia would surely die for her kindness. It would be a miracle if they both walked out alive.

"I see." Sarina tightened her grip on her weapon and quipped, "Back to it."

With that, she forced the stone into Blaire's abdomen, instantly forcing blood from her mouth and causing her to cough vigorously on her fresh wound. Her stomach bruised quickly, purple and black fading into her skin around her broken ribs. She wasn't able to utter a sound as she nearly choked on the crimson liquid that flew from her lips and splattered onto Sarina's face as she stood before and watched the girl suffer.

Just as she did it with her dagger, she threw her weapon onto the ground in the middle and left them alone. Dahlia watched in horror as Blaire's body went through inhumane torture. Her stomach sucked in and out as she gasped for breath, seeing her visibly cracked ribs. Blood covered her chin and around her mouth, painting the top of her nose as well. It dribbled down onto her chest and down her purple midriff.

Blaire finally managed to clear her airway, taking deep breaths. She closed her eyes and swallowed hard and Dahlia soon mirrored her actions.

Death was inevitable.

*

The sun had finally rested along the horizon as the sky faded out from blue and into a beautiful, bright orange to announce the evening. Rarity sat in the grass before Ezra, holding peanuts in her hand. She was happy to see his progress-- the tint in his cheeks, the regulated heartbeat, and breathing. Though, she could still detect his sadness within every inch of his body. It was heartbreaking to anybody with just an ounce of sympathy to offer.

"You need to eat, Ezra." She said softly.

He shook his head, despite taking a bit of offering from her hand.

"I don't want to," His voice continued to be raspier than normal.

"I don't care if you don't want to--" She saw his expression sadden and instantly felt bad, "You need to eat. You've been throwing up."

Ezra's frown deepened as if he was about to cry again, "Why should I eat if I'm just going to throw it up?"

"I don't think you're going to throw up again."

"How can you be so sure?"

Rarity's palm moved towards his forehead to estimate his temperature, "You're getting better. Don't you feel better?"

He shook his head. She figured it physically pained him to be without Moon, and that was the cause of his aching -- not the snake venom. She understood. Mourning a loved one was painful in every way.

"I still want you to eat."

Ezra declined once more and moved the peanut in his hand toward her mouth, "You haven't eaten all day."

"I haven't been puking like you."

"So?"

"So, I don't need it as much as you. You're really going to feel weak if you don't eat, Ezra." She raised her brows.

Ezra pursed his lips before replying, "So?"

Rarity groaned, "I will shove this peanut down your throat."

She was happy to see a small smile grow on his face. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Aster sit by the firepit. She turned her full attention to him, watching him sit his gun in the grass and walk off, leaving it like a piece of junk.

"I'll be right back." She said to Ezra.

The blond stood to her feet and searched for any sign of Aster. She moved to the pit and quickly took the gun in hand, placing it secretly in her jacket pocket. When she took a step back to return to Ezra, she ran into a body. Startled, she whipped her body around to find the teen the gun belonged to.

"You're so fucking readable," He said, tone tied with entertainment.

"Go to hell," She retorted, staring at him through her furrowed brows.

He chuckled slightly, "We're already there."

"I won't hesitate to kill you if you try to get in the way between Blaire and me." She pressed the barrel of his gun against his stomach, though he wasn't phased.

"Oh don't worry, those people will kill you before you can kill me."

Her demeanor didn't budge, so Aster continued.

"Go ahead," He said. "Shoot me."

She had no reply.

"Shoot me," Aster repeated louder. "If that's going to make you feel better. If that's going to help you cope because deep down inside, I know you're scared and I also know you're smart enough to know your friend is already dead."

She pushed the weapon harder into his skin, "I can't just let her die."

"She is dead."

"No, she's not!" Rarity screamed.

"Yes, she is! She's probably in the ground at this point! Your friend is dead and I don't know why you're forcing yourself out to save her! You're going to kill yourself! Is that what you want?"

"Shut up, Aster Anson!" She stepped forward until their shoes touched, "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

"Shoot me!" Aster shouted, moving into the gun until his skin grew hot beneath.

Rarity clenched her teeth tightly, growling into the chilling air and squeezing the trigger as far as it would go back. There was no bang, or blood, or bullet. She stepped back with wide eyes, dropping the gun to the grass and covering her mouth. Aster grabbed his weapon, a wide smile plastered across his face.

"So fucking readable you are! It's unloaded!" He yelled, stepping towards her, "The look on your face," He laughed, "The god damn look on your face, Madden!"

She swallowed back her guilt, "Stop!"

"You feel bad and you didn't even kill me. You can't defend yourself like that. You're not going out." He sternly told her.

"You're not my boss." Rarity's glare had returned, masking her feelings.

"I'll stay up all night if I have to. You're not a replaceable person, Rarity." His face imitated her expression.

"Neither is Blaire." She clenched her fists.

"And wouldn't it be a damn shame if we lost you both."

Rarity stared up at him in utter fury in silence for moments before storming off into a crowd of teens Aster couldn't name.

Surely, she would understand him with time.

AUTHORS NOTE

Let me know if the scene changes are confusing and if you want to see more on Sefarina's ship.
And tell me who your favorite character is it's SUPER important.

UNEDITED.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 110 28
Life in Class 5 has never been easy for Harper Clemons. Food has always been scarce, and it seems like bitter winter nights are always lurking around...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
The Island By Amy J.

Science Fiction

117K 8.6K 44
"This is The Island, a prison designed for minors like me- too young to be executed, too old to be reformed, and too much of a stain on humanity to l...
733 64 19
In the quiet desert village of Dey, living among the sand dunes and mirages, existed an anomaly - me. I was different, born without the ability to re...